Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ctbp2
Description: C-terminal binding protein 2
Alias: AA407280, D7Ertd45e, Gtrgeo6, Ribeye, C-terminal-binding protein 2, gene trap ROSA b-geo 6
- Hildebrand J, Soriano P. Overlapping and unique roles for C-terminal binding protein 1 (CtBP1) and CtBP2 during mouse development. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5296-307 pubmed..We generated mice harboring mutations in both Ctbp1 and Ctbp2 to address the in vivo function of CtBPs during vertebrate development...
- Verger A, Quinlan K, Crofts L, Spanò S, Corda D, Kable E, et al. Mechanisms directing the nuclear localization of the CtBP family proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4882-94 pubmed..C-terminal binding protein (CtBP) family includes four proteins (CtBP1 [CtBP1-L], CtBP3/BARS [CtBP1-S], CtBP2, and RIBEYE) which are implicated both in transcriptional repression and in intracellular trafficking...
- Tom Dieck S, Altrock W, Kessels M, Qualmann B, Regus H, Brauner D, et al. Molecular dissection of the photoreceptor ribbon synapse: physical interaction of Bassoon and RIBEYE is essential for the assembly of the ribbon complex. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:825-36 pubmed..CAZ proteins segregate into two compartments at the ribbon: a ribbon-associated compartment including Piccolo, RIBEYE, CtBP1/BARS, RIM1, and the motor protein KIF3A, and an active zone compartment including RIM2, Munc13-1, a Ca2+ ..
- Sue N, Jack B, Eaton S, Pearson R, Funnell A, Turner J, et al. Targeted disruption of the basic Krüppel-like factor gene (Klf3) reveals a role in adipogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:3967-78 pubmed publisher..Chromatin immunoprecipitations confirm that Klf3 binds the C/ebpalpha promoter in vivo. These results implicate Klf3 and CtBP in controlling adipogenesis. ..
- Ueda J, Tachibana M, Ikura T, Shinkai Y. Zinc finger protein Wiz links G9a/GLP histone methyltransferases to the co-repressor molecule CtBP. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20120-8 pubmed..These data indicate that Wiz not only contributes to the stability of G9a but also links the G9a/GLP heteromeric complex to the CtBP co-repressor machinery. ..
- Storm M, Kumpfmueller B, Bone H, Buchholz M, Sanchez Ripoll Y, Chaudhuri J, et al. Zscan4 is regulated by PI3-kinase and DNA-damaging agents and directly interacts with the transcriptional repressors LSD1 and CtBP2 in mouse embryonic stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89821 pubmed publisher..supported by the fact that protein interaction analyses demonstrate that Zscan4 interacts with both LSD1 and CtBP2 in ESC nuclei...
- Christian M, Tullet J, Parker M. Characterization of four autonomous repression domains in the corepressor receptor interacting protein 140. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:15645-51 pubmed..Use of specific inhibitors indicates that RD2, RD3, and RD4 are capable of functioning by HDAC-dependent and HDAC-independent mechanisms, depending upon cell type. ..
- Babai N, Morgans C, Thoreson W. Calcium-induced calcium release contributes to synaptic release from mouse rod photoreceptors. Neuroscience. 2010;165:1447-56 pubmed publisher..double labeling for the sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase (SERCA2) and synaptic ribbon protein, ribeye, showed a close association between ER and synaptic ribbons in mouse rod terminals...
- Yu W, Appler J, Kim Y, Nishitani A, Holt J, Goodrich L. A Gata3-Mafb transcriptional network directs post-synaptic differentiation in synapses specialized for hearing. elife. 2013;2:e01341 pubmed publisher..Hence, Mafb is a powerful regulator of cell-type specific features of auditory synaptogenesis that offers a new entry point for treating hearing loss. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01341.001...
- Sedmak T, Wolfrum U. Intraflagellar transport molecules in ciliary and nonciliary cells of the retina. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:171-86 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we provide evidence to implicate the differential composition of IFT systems in cells with and without primary cilia, thereby supporting new functions for IFT beyond its well-established role in cilia. ..
- Mendus D, Sundaresan S, Grillet N, Wangsawihardja F, Leu R, Muller U, et al. Thrombospondins 1 and 2 are important for afferent synapse formation and function in the inner ear. Eur J Neurosci. 2014;39:1256-67 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the above results, we propose that TSPs play an important role in afferent synapse development and function of the inner ear. ..
- Liu Q, Bai C, Chen F, Wang R, MacDonald T, Gu M, et al. Uncoupling protein-3: a muscle-specific gene upregulated by leptin in ob/ob mice. Gene. 1998;207:1-7 pubmed..The data indicate that UCP3 encodes a muscle-specific uncoupling protein that may play an important role in the regulation of energy expenditure and development of obesity. ..
- Maxeiner S, Luo F, Tan A, Schmitz F, SÃ¼dhof T. How to make a synaptic ribbon: RIBEYE deletion abolishes ribbons in retinal synapses and disrupts neurotransmitter release. EMBO J. 2016;35:1098-114 pubmed publisher..A single ribbon-specific protein is known, RIBEYE, suggesting that ribbons may be constructed from RIBEYE protein...
- Clements R, Turk R, Campbell K, Wright K. Dystroglycan Maintains Inner Limiting Membrane Integrity to Coordinate Retinal Development. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8559-8574 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that disorganization of retinal circuit development is a likely contributor to visual dysfunction in patients with dystroglycanopathy. ..
- Dembla M, Wahl S, Katiyar R, Schmitz F. ArfGAP3 is a component of the photoreceptor synaptic ribbon complex and forms an NAD(H)-regulated, redox-sensitive complex with RIBEYE that is important for endocytosis. J Neurosci. 2014;34:5245-60 pubmed publisher..The synaptic ribbon complex is also important for vesicle replenishment. RIBEYE is a unique and major component of synaptic ribbons...
- Jean P, Lopez de la Morena D, Michanski S, Jaime Tobón L, Chakrabarti R, Picher M, et al. The synaptic ribbon is critical for sound encoding at high rates and with temporal precision. elife. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..sound encoding at the synapses between inner hair cells (IHCs) and spiral ganglion neurons (SGNs) in mice lacking RIBEYE (RBEKO/KO)...
- Jack B, Crossley M. GATA proteins work together with friend of GATA (FOG) and C-terminal binding protein (CTBP) co-regulators to control adipogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:32405-14 pubmed publisher..These results implicate FOGs and CTBPs as partners of GATA proteins in the control of adipocyte proliferation and differentiation. ..
- H bler D, Rankovic M, Richter K, Lazarevic V, Altrock W, Fischer K, et al. Differential spatial expression and subcellular localization of CtBP family members in rodent brain. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39710 pubmed publisher..the involvement of the isoform CtBP1-S/BARS50 in cellular membrane-trafficking processes and a role of the isoform RIBEYE as molecular scaffolds in ribbons, the presynaptic specializations of sensory synapses...
- Diaz Horta O, Abad C, Sennaroglu L, Foster J, DeSmidt A, Bademci G, et al. ROR1 is essential for proper innervation of auditory hair cells and hearing in humans and mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:5993-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ror1 is crucial for spiral ganglion neurons to innervate auditory hair cells. Impairment of ROR1 function largely affects development of the inner ear and hearing in humans and mice. ..
- Thio S, Bonventre J, Hsu S. The CtBP2 co-repressor is regulated by NADH-dependent dimerization and possesses a novel N-terminal repression domain. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:1836-47 pubmedThe C-terminal binding protein 2 (CtBP2) is a 48 kDa phosphoprotein reported to function as a co- repressor for a growing list of transcriptional repressors...
- Valenta T, Lukas J, Doubravska L, Fafilek B, Korinek V. HIC1 attenuates Wnt signaling by recruitment of TCF-4 and beta-catenin to the nuclear bodies. EMBO J. 2006;25:2326-37 pubmed..These data indicate that the intracellular amounts of HIC1 protein can modulate the level of the transcriptional stimulation of the genes regulated by canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Defourny J, Poirrier A, Lallemend F, Mateo Sánchez S, Neef J, Vanderhaeghen P, et al. Ephrin-A5/EphA4 signalling controls specific afferent targeting to cochlear hair cells. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1438 pubmed publisher..Our findings constitute the first identification of an Eph/ephrin-mediated mutual repulsion mechanism responsible for specific sorting of auditory projections in the cochlea. ..
- Wahl S, Katiyar R, Schmitz F. A local, periactive zone endocytic machinery at photoreceptor synapses in close vicinity to synaptic ribbons. J Neurosci. 2013;33:10278-300 pubmed publisher..This endocytic activity functionally depends on dynamin. These data propose that the presynaptic periactive zone surrounding the synaptic ribbon complex is a hotspot of endocytosis in photoreceptor ribbon synapses. ..
- Kim Y, Wang S, Tymanskyj S, Ma L, Tao H, Zhang L. Dcc Mediates Functional Assembly of Peripheral Auditory Circuits. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23799 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Dcc plays an important role in the developmental formation of peripheral and central auditory circuits, and its mutation may contribute to sensorineural hearing loss. ..
- Coate T, Spita N, Zhang K, Isgrig K, Kelley M. Neuropilin-2/Semaphorin-3F-mediated repulsion promotes inner hair cell innervation by spiral ganglion neurons. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results suggest a model in which cochlear innervation patterns by type I SGNs are determined, at least in part, through a Semaphorin-3F-mediated inhibitory signal that impedes processes from extending beyond the IHC region. ..
- Zhao L, Subramanian T, Chinnadurai G. Changes in C-terminal binding protein 2 (CtBP2) corepressor complex induced by E1A and modulation of E1A transcriptional activity by CtBP2. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36613-23 pubmed..The C-terminal region interacts with the transcriptional corepressors CtBP1 and CtBP2. The functional significance of co-recruitment of HATs and CtBPs by E1A is not well understood...
- Bajpe P, Heynen G, Mittempergher L, Grernrum W, de Rink I, Nijkamp W, et al. The corepressor CTBP2 is a coactivator of retinoic acid receptor/retinoid X receptor in retinoic acid signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:3343-53 pubmed publisher..Using an RNA interference-based genetic screen in mouse F9 cells, we identified the transcriptional corepressor CTBP2 (C-terminal binding protein 2) as a coactivator critically required for retinoic acid (RA)-induced transcription...
- Becker L, Schnee M, Niwa M, Sun W, Maxeiner S, Talaei S, et al. The presynaptic ribbon maintains vesicle populations at the hair cell afferent fiber synapse. elife. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..We investigated the ribbon's contribution to IHC synapse formation and function using KO mice lacking RIBEYE. Despite loss of the entire ribbon structure, synapses retained their spatiotemporal development and KO mice had a ..
- Coate T, Raft S, Zhao X, Ryan A, Crenshaw E, Kelley M. Otic mesenchyme cells regulate spiral ganglion axon fasciculation through a Pou3f4/EphA4 signaling pathway. Neuron. 2012;73:49-63 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a model whereby Pou3f4 in the otic mesenchyme establishes an Eph/ephrin-mediated fasciculation signal that promotes inner radial bundle formation. ..
- Palmer S, Brouillet J, Kilbey A, Fulton R, Walker M, Crossley M, et al. Evi-1 transforming and repressor activities are mediated by CtBP co-repressor proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:25834-40 pubmed
- Perdomo J, Crossley M. The Ikaros family protein Eos associates with C-terminal-binding protein corepressors. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:5885-92 pubmed..We conclude that several Ikaros family proteins utilize CtBP corepressors to inhibit gene expression. ..
- Zaidi N, Kuplast K, Washicosky K, Kajiwara Y, Buxbaum J, Wasco W. Calsenilin interacts with transcriptional co-repressor C-terminal binding protein(s). J Neurochem. 2006;98:1290-301 pubmed..In co-immunoprecipitation studies, calsenilin also interacted with CtBP1, a CtBP2 homolog...
- Quinlan K, Verger A, Kwok A, Lee S, Perdomo J, Nardini M, et al. Role of the C-terminal binding protein PXDLS motif binding cleft in protein interactions and transcriptional repression. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8202-13 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the PXDLS binding cleft is functionally important but suggest that it is primarily required for localization of the CtBP complex to promoter-bound transcription factors. ..
- Kajimura S, Seale P, Tomaru T, Erdjument Bromage H, Cooper M, Ruas J, et al. Regulation of the brown and white fat gene programs through a PRDM16/CtBP transcriptional complex. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1397-409 pubmed publisher..These data show that the regulated docking of the CtBP proteins on PRDM16 controls the brown and white fat-selective gene programs. ..
- Baker R, Haendel M, Swanson B, Shambaugh J, Micales B, Lyons G. In vitro preselection of gene-trapped embryonic stem cell clones for characterizing novel developmentally regulated genes in the mouse. Dev Biol. 1997;185:201-14 pubmed..These results also highlight the utility of ES cell differentiation in vitro as a method with which to study the molecular mechanisms regulating the specification and commitment of a variety of cell and tissue types. ..
- Salehi P, Ge M, Gundimeda U, Michelle Baum L, Lael Cantu H, Lavinsky J, et al. Role of Neuropilin-1/Semaphorin-3A signaling in the functional and morphological integrity of the cochlea. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007048 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results here support a model whereby Neuropilin-1/Semaphorin-3A signaling is critical for the functional and morphological integrity of the cochlea and that Nrp1 may play a role in ARHL. ..
- Olivares A, Han Y, Soto D, Flattery K, Marini J, Mollema N, et al. The nuclear hormone receptor gene Nr2c1 (Tr2) is a critical regulator of early retina cell patterning. Dev Biol. 2017;429:343-355 pubmed publisher..This study supports a role for Nr2c1 in defining the biphasic period of retinal development and specifically influencing the early phase of retinal cell fate. ..
- Zhao L, Subramanian T, Vijayalingam S, Chinnadurai G. PLDLS-dependent interaction of E1A with CtBP: regulation of CtBP nuclear localization and transcriptional functions. Oncogene. 2007;26:7544-51 pubmed publisher..Many cellular cofactors also interact with CtBPs through PLDLS-like motifs. E1A interaction with CtBP2 changed the composition of the CtBP2 protein complex and enhanced CtBP2 acetylation...
- McGilvray R, Walker M, Bartholomew C. UXT interacts with the transcriptional repressor protein EVI1 and suppresses cell transformation. FEBS J. 2007;274:3960-71 pubmed..Our results show that UXT suppresses cell transformation and might mediate this function by interaction and inhibition of the biological activity of cell proliferation and survival stimulatory factors like Evi1. ..
- Sato S, Omori Y, Katoh K, Kondo M, Kanagawa M, Miyata K, et al. Pikachurin, a dystroglycan ligand, is essential for photoreceptor ribbon synapse formation. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:923-31 pubmed publisher..This may also advance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying the retinal electrophysiological abnormalities observed in muscular dystrophy patients. ..
- Duncker S, Franz C, Kuhn S, Schulte U, Campanelli D, Brandt N, et al. Otoferlin couples to clathrin-mediated endocytosis in mature cochlear inner hair cells. J Neurosci. 2013;33:9508-19 pubmed publisher..We suggest that an otoferlin-AP-2 interaction drives Ca(2+)- and stimulus-dependent compensating CME in mature IHCs. ..
- Vernochet C, Peres S, Davis K, McDonald M, Qiang L, Wang H, et al. C/EBPalpha and the corepressors CtBP1 and CtBP2 regulate repression of select visceral white adipose genes during induction of the brown phenotype in white adipocytes by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonists. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4714-28 pubmed publisher..Developing strategies to enhance the brown phenotype in white adipocytes while reducing secretion of stress-related cytokines from visceral WAT is a means to combat obesity-associated disorders. ..
- Fuerst P, Bruce F, Tian M, Wei W, Elstrott J, Feller M, et al. DSCAM and DSCAML1 function in self-avoidance in multiple cell types in the developing mouse retina. Neuron. 2009;64:484-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DSCAM and DSCAML1 function similarly in self-avoidance, and are not essential for synaptic specificity in the mouse retina. ..
- Dewi V, Kwok A, Lee S, Lee M, Tan Y, Nicholas H, et al. Phosphorylation of KrÃ¼ppel-like factor 3 (KLF3/BKLF) and C-terminal binding protein 2 (CtBP2) by homeodomain-interacting protein kinase 2 (HIPK2) modulates KLF3 DNA binding and activity. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:8591-605 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we also determined that HIPK2 can phosphorylate the KLF3 co-repressor C-terminal binding protein 2 (CtBP2) at serine 428...
- Quinlan K, Nardini M, Verger A, Francescato P, Yaswen P, Corda D, et al. Specific recognition of ZNF217 and other zinc finger proteins at a surface groove of C-terminal binding proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8159-72 pubmed..These results identify a new CtBP interaction motif and establish ZNF217 as a transcriptional repressor protein that functions, at least in part, by associating with CtBP. ..
- Wang J, Lee S, Teh C, Bunting K, Ma L, Shannon M. The transcription repressor, ZEB1, cooperates with CtBP2 and HDAC1 to suppress IL-2 gene activation in T cells. Int Immunol. 2009;21:227-35 pubmed publisher..promoter and this cooperation depends on the ZEB-binding site in the promoter as well as the Pro-X-Asp-Leu-Ser protein-protein interaction domain in CtBP2. Thus, ZEB1 may function to recruit a repressor complex to the IL-2 promoter.
- GÃ³rnikiewicz B, Ronowicz A, KrzemiÅ„ski M, Sachadyn P. Changes in gene methylation patterns in neonatal murine hearts: Implications for the regenerative potential. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:231 pubmed publisher..This conclusion is supported by the evidence that an increase in DNA methylation in the neonatal murine heart from day 1 to day 7 occurs in the promoter regions of genes playing important roles in cardiovascular system development. ..
- Stankovic Valentin N, Verger A, Deltour Balerdi S, Quinlan K, Crossley M, Leprince D. A L225A substitution in the human tumour suppressor HIC1 abolishes its interaction with the corepressor CtBP. FEBS J. 2006;273:2879-90 pubmed..Here, we show that HIC1 interacts with both CtBP1 and CtBP2 and that this interaction is stimulated by agents increasing NADH levels...
- van Grunsven L, Michiels C, Van de Putte T, Nelles L, Wuytens G, Verschueren K, et al. Interaction between Smad-interacting protein-1 and the corepressor C-terminal binding protein is dispensable for transcriptional repression of E-cadherin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26135-45 pubmed..Our results indicate that full-length SIP1 can repress E-cadherin in a CtBP-independent manner. ..
- Katsuyama E, Yan M, Watanabe K, Matsushima S, Yamamura Y, Hiramatsu S, et al. Downregulation of miR-200a-3p, Targeting CtBP2 Complex, Is Involved in the Hypoproduction of IL-2 in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus-Derived T Cells. J Immunol. 2017;198:4268-4276 pubmed publisher..causes IL-2 hypoproduction through zinc finger E-box binding homeobox (ZEB)1 and C-terminal binding protein 2 (CtBP2) in a lupus-prone mouse...
- Tarleton H, Lemischka I. Delayed differentiation in embryonic stem cells and mesodermal progenitors in the absence of CtBP2. Mech Dev. 2010;127:107-19 pubmed publisher..We selected the chromatin factor Ctbp2 from microarray data for its enriched expression in stem cells, in comparison to committed progenitors...
- Kim T, Kang B, Jang H, Kwak S, Shin J, Kim H, et al. Ctbp2 Modulates NuRD-Mediated Deacetylation of H3K27 and Facilitates PRC2-Mediated H3K27me3 in Active Embryonic Stem Cell Genes During Exit from Pluripotency. Stem Cells. 2015;33:2442-55 pubmed publisher..In this study, we demonstrate that C-terminal binding protein 2 (Ctbp2) regulates nucleosome remodeling and deacetylation (NuRD)-mediated deacetylation of H3K27 and facilitates ..
- Somma G, Alger H, McGuire R, Kretlow J, Ruiz F, Yatsenko S, et al. Head bobber: an insertional mutation causes inner ear defects, hyperactive circling, and deafness. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2012;13:335-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that genes critical for inner ear patterning and differentiation are lost at the head bobber locus and are candidate genes for human deafness and vestibular disorders. ..