Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Crygf
Description: crystallin, gamma F
Alias: 3110001K11Rik, Cryg-2, DGcry-2, Len-2, gamma-crystallin F, gamma-F-crystallin
- Vidal S, Epstein D, Malo D, Weith A, Vekemans M, Gros P. Identification and mapping of six microdissected genomic DNA probes to the proximal region of mouse chromosome 1. Genomics. 1992;14:32-7 pubmed..These novel polymorphic probes should prove useful for linkage and physical mapping of this chromosomal region. ..
- Barton C, Ajioka J, Roach T, Blackwell J. Mapping Creb-1 to chromosome 1 in the mouse. Genomics. 1992;14:790-2 pubmed..7 +/- 1.9 cM. This is in good agreement with previously published map distances. The number of recombinants observed between Creb-1 and the other markers place Creb-1 approximately 1 cM distal to Cryg and 7 cM proximal to Lsh/Vil. ..
- Schurr E, Skamene E, Morgan K, Chu M, Gros P. Mapping of Col3a1 and Col6a3 to proximal murine chromosome 1 identifies conserved linkage of structural protein genes between murine chromosome 1 and human chromosome 2q. Genomics. 1990;8:477-86 pubmed..The order of mouse genes on chromosome 1 and their human homologs on chromosome 2q also appears to be conserved, suggesting that mapping of murine genes on the conserved segment may be useful to predict gene order in man. ..
- Takeuchi T, Kudo T, Ogata K, Hamada M, Nakamura M, Kito K, et al. Neither MafA/L-Maf nor MafB is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Cells. 2009;14:941-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that c-Maf alone is essential for lens development, and that MafA/L-Maf and MafB are dispensable in mice. ..
- Hirano M, Yamamoto A, Yoshimura N, Tokunaga T, Motohashi T, Ishizaki K, et al. Generation of structures formed by lens and retinal cells differentiating from embryonic stem cells. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:664-71 pubmed..The present culture system opens up the possibility of examining early stages of eye development and also of producing cells for use in cellular therapy for various diseases of the eye. ..
- Kratochvilova J, Favor J, Neuhauser Klaus A. Dominant cataract and recessive specific-locus mutations detected in offspring of procarbazine-treated male mice. Mutat Res. 1988;198:295-301 pubmed..The viability and fertility of the heterozygotes of all 3 mutations were not affected. Only 1 mutation was shown to be viable as a homozygote. ..
- Kim S, Cheong C, Sohn Y, Goo Y, Oh W, Park J, et al. Multiple developmental defects derived from impaired recruitment of ASC-2 to nuclear receptors in mice: implication for posterior lenticonus with cataract. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8409-14 pubmed..Our results provide a novel insight into the molecular and histopathological mechanism of posterior lenticonus with cataract and attest to the importance of ASC-2 as a pivotal transcriptional coactivator of nuclear receptors in vivo...
- Cheong C, Sung Y, Lee J, Choi Y, Song J, Kee C, et al. Role of INK4a locus in normal eye development and cataract genesis. Mech Ageing Dev. 2006;127:633-8 pubmed
- Yoshimoto A, Saigou Y, Higashi Y, Kondoh H. Regulation of ocular lens development by Smad-interacting protein 1 involving Foxe3 activation. Development. 2005;132:4437-48 pubmed..26 kb promoter, and are separate from lens-specific regulation. This is the first demonstration of the significance of Smad interaction in modulating Sip1 activity. ..
- Min J, Zhang Y, Moskophidis D, Mivechi N. Unique contribution of heat shock transcription factor 4 in ocular lens development and fiber cell differentiation. Genesis. 2004;40:205-17 pubmed..Thus, HSF4 fulfills a central role in controlling spatial and temporal expression of genes critical for correct development and function of the lens. ..
- Fujimoto M, Izu H, Seki K, Fukuda K, Nishida T, Yamada S, et al. HSF4 is required for normal cell growth and differentiation during mouse lens development. EMBO J. 2004;23:4297-306 pubmed
- Sandilands A, Hutcheson A, Long H, Prescott A, Vrensen G, Löster J, et al. Altered aggregation properties of mutant gamma-crystallins cause inherited cataract. EMBO J. 2002;21:6005-14 pubmed..The mutant gamma-crystallins initially disrupt nuclear function, but then this progresses to a full cataract phenotype. ..
- Lengler J, Krausz E, Tomarev S, Prescott A, Quinlan R, Graw J. Antagonistic action of Six3 and Prox1 at the gamma-crystallin promoter. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:515-26 pubmed..In contrast, PROX1 stimulated the CRYGF promoter 10-fold in CD5A cells without endogenous PROX1...
- Kawauchi S, Takahashi S, Nakajima O, Ogino H, Morita M, Nishizawa M, et al. Regulation of lens fiber cell differentiation by transcription factor c-Maf. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:19254-60 pubmed..The expression of crystallin genes was severely impaired in the c-maf-null mutant mouse lens. These results demonstrate that c-Maf is an indispensable regulator of lens differentiation during murine development. ..
- Pietrowski D, Durante M, Liebstein A, Schmitt John T, Werner T, Graw J. Alpha-crystallins are involved in specific interactions with the murine gamma D/E/F-crystallin-encoding gene. Gene. 1994;144:171-8 pubmed..The results reported here point to a novel function of alpha-Cry besides the structural properties in the lens. ..
- Schurr E, Skamene E, Forget A, Gros P. Linkage analysis of the Bcg gene on mouse chromosome 1. Identification of a tightly linked marker. J Immunol. 1989;142:4507-13 pubmed..Our results suggest that a likely location for a putative human homologue to the murine host resistance gene Bcg is the long arm of human chromosome 2 (2q32-qter). ..
- Schurr E, Henthorn P, Harris H, Skamene E, Gros P. Localization of two alkaline phosphatase genes to the proximal region of mouse chromosome 1. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1989;52:65-7 pubmed..The gene order and intergene distances were determined by standard backcross analysis as: centromere- Len-2 - 19.0 cM - Akp-3 - 20.0 cM - Akp-4 - 2.0 cM - Ren-1. ..
- Breitman M, Lok S, Wistow G, Piatigorsky J, Treton J, Gold R, et al. Gamma-crystallin family of the mouse lens: structural and evolutionary relationships. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1984;81:7762-6 pubmed..The significance of these differences in terms of the structure and function of the gamma-crystallins in the mouse lens is discussed. ..
- Murer Orlando M, Paterson R, Lok S, Tsui L, Breitman M. Differential regulation of gamma-crystallin genes during mouse lens development. Dev Biol. 1987;119:260-7 pubmed..This complex pattern of gene regulation presumably accounts for one of the mechanisms determining the spatial distribution of different gamma-crystallins within the lens. ..
- Liu Q, Shalaby F, Puri M, Tang S, Breitman M. Novel zinc finger proteins that interact with the mouse gamma F-crystallin promoter and are expressed in the sclerotome during early somitogenesis. Dev Biol. 1994;165:165-77 pubmed..During somitic differentiation, gamma FBP expression becomes restricted to the sclerotome. These expression patterns suggest a regulatory role for the gamma FBP isoforms in sclerotome specification and/or differentiation. ..
- Graw J, Neuhäuser Klaus A, Klopp N, Selby P, Löster J, Favor J. Genetic and allelic heterogeneity of Cryg mutations in eight distinct forms of dominant cataract in the mouse. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:1202-13 pubmed..that affect the Cryg gene cluster: Nine mutations affect the Cryge gene, but only one affects the Crygb or Crygf genes. No mutation was observed in the closely linked Cryba2...
- Quinlan P, Oda S, Breitman M, Tsui L. The mouse eye lens obsolescence (Elo) mutant: studies on crystallin gene expression and linkage analysis between the mutant locus and the gamma-crystallin genes. Genes Dev. 1987;1:637-44 pubmed..4 +/- 0.9 cM, whereas that between gamma 6 and the distantly linked gamma 2 gene is 2.7 +/- 1.3 cM. Our data also suggest the possibility of recombination hot spots with the gamma-crystallin gene cluster. ..
- Klopp N, Favor J, Loster J, Lutz R, Neuhauser Klaus A, Prescott A, et al. Three murine cataract mutants (Cat2) are defective in different gamma-crystallin genes. Genomics. 1998;52:152-8 pubmed..All three mutations are predicted to alter protein folding of the gamma-crystallins and result in lens cataract, but the phenotype for each is quite distinctive. ..
- Goring D, Bryce D, Tsui L, Breitman M, Liu Q. Developmental regulation and cell type-specific expression of the murine gamma F-crystallin gene is mediated through a lens-specific element containing the gamma F-1 binding site. Dev Dyn. 1993;196:143-52 pubmed..We also show that sequences within the proximal promoter region that bind lens cell nuclear factor gamma F-1 are sufficient to elicit gene expression in central nuclear fiber cells of the adult lens. ..
- Lok S, Breitman M, Chepelinsky A, Piatigorsky J, Gold R, Tsui L. Lens-specific promoter activity of a mouse gamma-crystallin gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1985;5:2221-30 pubmed
- Liu Y, Zacksenhaus E. E2F1 mediates ectopic proliferation and stage-specific p53-dependent apoptosis but not aberrant differentiation in the ocular lens of Rb deficient fetuses. Oncogene. 2000;19:6065-73 pubmed..Thus, inactivation of E2F1 reduces ectopic cell proliferation and stage-specific p53-dependent apoptosis but does not rescue the differentiation defects associated with loss of Rb during lens development. ..
- Gonzalez M, Ruggiero F, Chang Q, Shi Y, Rich M, Kraner S, et al. Disruption of Trkb-mediated signaling induces disassembly of postsynaptic receptor clusters at neuromuscular junctions. Neuron. 1999;24:567-83 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel role for neurotrophin signaling through TrkB receptors on muscle fibers in the ongoing maintenance of postsynaptic AChR regions. ..
- Schurr E, Skamene E, Nesbitt M, Hynes R, Gros P. Identification of a linkage group including the Bcg gene by restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 1988;137:310-5 pubmed
- Nishiguchi S, Wood H, Kondoh H, Lovell Badge R, Episkopou V. Sox1 directly regulates the gamma-crystallin genes and is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Dev. 1998;12:776-81 pubmed..It appears that the direct interaction of the SOX1 protein with a promoter element conserved in all gamma-crystallin genes is responsible for their expression. ..
- Goring D, Breitman M, Tsui L. Temporal regulation of six crystallin transcripts during mouse lens development. Exp Eye Res. 1992;54:785-95 pubmed..The utility of the PCR technique in studying the relative abundance of steady-state gamma-crystallin mRNAs was also investigated. ..
- Graw J, Klopp N, Neuhäuser Klaus A, Favor J, Löster J. Crygf(Rop): the first mutation in the Crygf gene causing a unique radial lens opacity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:2998-3002 pubmed..A T-->A exchange in exon 2 of the Crygf gene leads to a Val-->Glu exchange in codon 38 and was considered to be causative for the cataract phenotype; ..
- Wigle J, Chowdhury K, Gruss P, Oliver G. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet. 1999;21:318-22 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that the progression of terminal fibre differentiation and elongation is dependent on Prox1 activity during lens development. ..
- Masaki S, Watanabe T. Linkage analysis of the mutation locus in the eye lens obsolescence (Elo) mouse. Genomics. 1989;5:259-63 pubmed..Among 223 mice analyzed, recombination between Elo and Idh-1 loci was observed in three offsprings; and that between Cryg-1 or Cryg-4 and Idh-1 loci, in one offspring. No recombination occurred between Cryg-1 and Cryg-4 alleles. ..
- Graw J, Coban L, Liebstein A, Werner T. Murine gamma E-crystallin is distinct from murine gamma 2-crystallin. Gene. 1991;104:265-70 pubmed..There is no similar repeat structure in any other gamma-cry gene. No binding site for a common transcription factor could be detected among the 1100 bp of the 5'-region. ..
- Tini M, Fraser R, Giguere V. Functional interactions between retinoic acid receptor-related orphan nuclear receptor (ROR alpha) and the retinoic acid receptors in the regulation of the gamma F-crystallin promoter. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:20156-61 pubmed..These studies suggest that the interplay of retinoid receptors and ROR alpha on the gamma F-HRE may constitute an important mechanism regulating gamma F-crystallin gene expression in the murine lens. ..