Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Crybb1
Description: crystallin, beta B1
Alias: 3110006K12Rik, BB1CRY, beta-crystallin B1
- Hulsebos T, Gilbert D, Delattre O, Smink L, Dunham I, Westerveld A, et al. Assignment of the beta B1 crystallin gene (CRYBB1) to human chromosome 22 and mouse chromosome 5. Genomics. 1995;29:712-8 pubmed..to the rat beta B1 crystallin gene sequence, we amplified exons 5 and 6 of the orthologous human gene (CRYBB1)...
- Terrell A, Anand D, Smith S, Dang C, Waters S, Pathania M, et al. Molecular characterization of mouse lens epithelial cell lines and their suitability to study RNA granules and cataract associated genes. Exp Eye Res. 2015;131:42-55 pubmed publisher..similar to isolated lens epithelium, all three LECs exhibit down-regulation of fiber cell-expressed genes Crybb1, Mip and Prox1 when compared to fiber cells...
- Maeda A, Moriguchi T, Hamada M, Kusakabe M, Fujioka Y, Nakano T, et al. Transcription factor GATA-3 is essential for lens development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2280-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, these observations suggest that GATA-3 is essential for lens cells differentiation and proper cell cycle control. ..
- Chan M, Dolinska M, Sergeev Y, Wingfield P, Hejtmancik J. Association properties of betaB1- and betaA3-crystallins: ability to form heterotetramers. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11062-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a unique role for betaB1-crystallin in promoting higher-order crystallin association in the lens. ..
- Stempel D, Sandusky H, Lampi K, Cilluffo M, Horwitz J, Braun J, et al. BetaB1-crystallin: identification of a candidate ciliary body uveitis antigen. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:203-9 pubmed..This characterization of betaB1-crystallin outside the lens raises questions about its extralenticular expression, intracellular role, and potential target of inflammation in uveitis. ..
- Logan C, Rajakaruna S, Bowen C, Radice G, Robinson M, Menko A. N-cadherin regulates signaling mechanisms required for lens fiber cell elongation and lens morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;428:118-134 pubmed publisher..The dependence of migration of the fiber cell apical domains along the EFI for lens morphogenesis on N-cadherin provides new insight into the process of tissue development. ..
- Spadaro P, Flavell C, Widagdo J, Ratnu V, Troup M, Ragan C, et al. Long Noncoding RNA-Directed Epigenetic Regulation of Gene Expression Is Associated With Anxiety-like Behavior in Mice. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;78:848-59 pubmed publisher..repressive complex 1, BMI1, which regulates the expression of the schizophrenia-related gene beta crystallin (Crybb1). We also demonstrated a novel role for Crybb1 in mediating fear-induced anxiety-like behavior...
- Kerr C, Zaveri M, Robinson M, Williams T, West Mays J. AP-2? is required after lens vesicle formation to maintain lens integrity. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1298-309 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that AP-2? continues to be required after lens vesicle separation to maintain a normal lens epithelial cell phenotype and overall lens integrity and to ensure correct fiber cell differentiation. ..
- Dolinska M, Sergeev Y, Chan M, Palmer I, Wingfield P. N-terminal extension of beta B1-crystallin: identification of a critical region that modulates protein interaction with beta A3-crystallin. Biochemistry. 2009;48:9684-95 pubmed publisher..The loop is derived from residues 48-56 which appear to be critical for mediating protein interactions with betaA3-crystallin. ..
- Min J, Zhang Y, Moskophidis D, Mivechi N. Unique contribution of heat shock transcription factor 4 in ocular lens development and fiber cell differentiation. Genesis. 2004;40:205-17 pubmed..Thus, HSF4 fulfills a central role in controlling spatial and temporal expression of genes critical for correct development and function of the lens. ..
- Chen Q, Ash J, Branton P, Fromm L, Overbeek P. Inhibition of crystallin expression and induction of apoptosis by lens-specific E1A expression in transgenic mice. Oncogene. 2002;21:1028-37 pubmed
- Suzuki T, Li W, Zhang Q, Karim A, Novak E, Sviderskaya E, et al. Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome is caused by mutations in HPS4, the human homolog of the mouse light-ear gene. Nat Genet. 2002;30:321-4 pubmed..In addition, the HPS1 protein is absent in tissues of le mutant mice. These results suggest that the HPS4 and HPS1 proteins may function in the same pathway of organelle biogenesis. ..
- Dimanlig P, Faber S, Auerbach W, Makarenkova H, Lang R. The upstream ectoderm enhancer in Pax6 has an important role in lens induction. Development. 2001;128:4415-24 pubmed..This pathway forms a basis for future analysis of lens induction mechanism. ..
- Chen W, Fielding Hejtmancik J, Piatigorsky J, Duncan M. The mouse beta B1-crystallin promoter: strict regulation of lens fiber cell specificity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1519:30-8 pubmed..However, the inability of the mouse beta B1-crystallin promoter to function in mammalian lens-derived cultured cells implies that this gene has acquired additional cis-regulatory elements to ensure lens fiber cell specificity. ..
- Ring B, Cordes S, Overbeek P, Barsh G. Regulation of mouse lens fiber cell development and differentiation by the Maf gene. Development. 2000;127:307-17 pubmed..Our results indicate that Maf directly activates many if not all of the (beta)-crystallin genes, and suggest a model for coordinating cell cycle withdrawal with terminal differentiation. ..
- Gonzalez M, Ruggiero F, Chang Q, Shi Y, Rich M, Kraner S, et al. Disruption of Trkb-mediated signaling induces disassembly of postsynaptic receptor clusters at neuromuscular junctions. Neuron. 1999;24:567-83 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel role for neurotrophin signaling through TrkB receptors on muscle fibers in the ongoing maintenance of postsynaptic AChR regions. ..
- Lovicu F, Overbeek P. Overlapping effects of different members of the FGF family on lens fiber differentiation in transgenic mice. Development. 1998;125:3365-77 pubmed
- Liao X, Du Y, Morse H, Jenkins N, Copeland N. Proviral integrations at the Evi5 locus disrupt a novel 90 kDa protein with homology to the Tre2 oncogene and cell-cycle regulatory proteins. Oncogene. 1997;14:1023-9 pubmed..Evi5 thus encodes a gene separate from Gfi1 that may also be involved in T-cell disease. ..
- Duncan M, Xie L, David L, Robinson M, Taube J, Cui W, et al. Ectopic Pax6 expression disturbs lens fiber cell differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:3589-98 pubmed..The data demonstrate that high levels of Pax6 expression disrupt normal fiber cell differentiation and maturation. ..
- Maeda Y, Funata N, Takahama S, Sugata Y, Yonekawa H. Two interactive genes responsible for a new inherited cataract (RCT) in the mouse. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:278-83 pubmed..The rct locus essential for the onset of the cataract was tightly linked to D4Mit278 on Chromosome (Chr) 4 with no recombination. The mrct locus was closely linked to D5Mit239 (chi2 = 66.3, P < 0.00001) on Chr 5. ..
- Kumar M, Koteiche H, Claxton D, McHaourab H. Disulfide cross-links in the interaction of a cataract-linked alphaA-crystallin mutant with betaB1-crystallin. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:175-9 pubmed publisher..Covalent protein cross-links are a hallmark of age-related cataract and may be a factor in its inherited form. ..
- Wigle J, Chowdhury K, Gruss P, Oliver G. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet. 1999;21:318-22 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that the progression of terminal fibre differentiation and elongation is dependent on Prox1 activity during lens development. ..
- Reneker L, Overbeek P. Lens-specific expression of PDGF-A alters lens growth and development. Dev Biol. 1996;180:554-65 pubmed..Elevated levels of PDGF-A enhance proliferation, but also appear to induce some aspects of the fiber cell differentiation pathway. ..
- Suzuki Kerr H, Baba Y, Tsuhako A, Koso H, Dekker J, Tucker H, et al. Forkhead Box Protein P1 Is Dispensable for Retina but Essential for Lens Development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1916-1929 pubmed publisher..Loss of Foxp1 results in loss of suture and fiber cell alignment, which eventually causes lens opacity, suggesting that Foxp1 has a key role in establishing cortical lens architecture. ..
- Duncan M, Li X, Ogino H, Yasuda K, Piatigorsky J. Developmental regulation of the chicken beta B1-crystallin promoter in transgenic mice. Mech Dev. 1996;57:79-89 pubmed..5 dpc transgenic mouse embryos. These data show a strict conservation of the lens-specific spatial and temporal regulation of the chicken and mouse beta B1-crystallin genes. ..