Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COX1
Description: cytochrome c oxidase subunit I
- Holvoet P, Vanhaverbeke M, Geeraert B, De Keyzer D, Hulsmans M, Janssens S. Low Cytochrome Oxidase 1 Links Mitochondrial Dysfunction to Atherosclerosis in Mice and Pigs. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170307 pubmed publisher..In mice and pigs, MT-COI was inversely related to insulin resistance. Low MT-COI is related to mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress and atherosclerosis and plaque complexity. ..
- Yang H, Brosel S, Acin Perez R, Slavkovich V, Nishino I, Khan R, et al. Analysis of mouse models of cytochrome c oxidase deficiency owing to mutations in Sco2. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:170-80 pubmed publisher..These mouse models should be of use in further studies of Sco2 function, as well as in testing therapeutic approaches to treat the human disorder. ..
- Kolaczkowska E, Plytycz B, Arnold B, Piccard H, Opdenakker G. Increased cyclooxygenase activity impairs apoptosis of inflammatory neutrophils in mice lacking gelatinase B/matrix metalloproteinase-9. Immunology. 2009;128:e262-74 pubmed publisher..In non-transgenic mice, however, inflammatory leucocytes die apoptotically in the late stages of peritonitis as a result of COX-2-dependent PGD(2) activity. Overall, we show a dependence of COX expression on the presence of MMP-9. ..
- Samavati L, Lee I, Mathes I, Lottspeich F, Huttemann M. Tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibits oxidative phosphorylation through tyrosine phosphorylation at subunit I of cytochrome c oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21134-44 pubmed publisher..35 cells. We postulate that an important contributor in TNFalpha-mediated pathologies, such as sepsis, is energy paucity, which parallels the poor tissue oxygen extraction and utilization found in such patients. ..
- Iheagwara K, Thom S, Deutschman C, Levy R. Myocardial cytochrome oxidase activity is decreased following carbon monoxide exposure. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1772:1112-6 pubmed..Decreased CcOX activity following CO inhalation was likely due to decreased heme aa(3) and CcOX subunit I content. Importantly, myocardial CcOX impairment could underlie CO induced cardiac dysfunction. ..
- Diaz F, Thomas C, Garcia S, Hernandez D, Moraes C. Mice lacking COX10 in skeletal muscle recapitulate the phenotype of progressive mitochondrial myopathies associated with cytochrome c oxidase deficiency. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:2737-48 pubmed..This COX10 KO mouse allowed us to correlate the muscle function with residual COX activity, an estimate that can help predict the progression pattern of human mitochondrial myopathies...
- Li X, Zhang L, Guan M. Cloning and characterization of mouse mTERF encoding a mitochondrial transcriptional termination factor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;326:505-10 pubmed..These observations suggest that the mouse mTERF is an evolutionarily conserved mitochondrial transcription termination factor, thereby promoting the termination of transcription in mitochondrial RNA. ..
- Gao C, Guo H, Wei J, Kuo P. Osteopontin inhibits expression of cytochrome c oxidase in RAW 264.7 murine macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;309:120-5 pubmed..CCO enzyme activity was also significantly decreased by OPN. Our results indicate that OPN inhibits CCOI expression as the result of a novel CD44-dependent transcriptional regulatory mechanism of the mitochondrial H strand. ..