Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cntnap1
Description: contactin associated protein-like 1
Alias: AI841080, Caspr, NCP1, Nrxn4, p190, shm, contactin-associated protein 1, MHDNIV, caspr1, neurexin 4 (contactin associated protein), neurexin IV, neurexin-4, paranodin
- Traka M, Goutebroze L, Denisenko N, Bessa M, Nifli A, Havaki S, et al. Association of TAG-1 with Caspr2 is essential for the molecular organization of juxtaparanodal regions of myelinated fibers. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:1161-72 pubmed..This complex is analogous to that described previously at paranodes, suggesting that similar molecules are crucial for different types of axo-glial interactions. ..
- Gollan L, Sabanay H, Poliak S, Berglund E, Ranscht B, Peles E. Retention of a cell adhesion complex at the paranodal junction requires the cytoplasmic region of Caspr. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1247-56 pubmedAn axonal complex of cell adhesion molecules consisting of Caspr and contactin has been found to be essential for the generation of the paranodal axo-glial junctions flanking the nodes of Ranvier...
- Garcia Fresco G, Sousa A, Pillai A, Moy S, Crawley J, Tessarollo L, et al. Disruption of axo-glial junctions causes cytoskeletal disorganization and degeneration of Purkinje neuron axons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5137-42 pubmed..b>Neurexin IV/Caspr1/paranodin (NCP1) is an important player in the formation of AGJs because it recruits a paranodal complex ..
- Takagishi Y, Katanosaka K, Mizoguchi H, Murata Y. Disrupted axon-glia interactions at the paranode in myelinated nerves cause axonal degeneration and neuronal cell death in the aged Caspr mutant mouse shambling. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;43:34-46 pubmed publisher..We investigated the pathophysiology of the disease process in the central and peripheral nervous systems of a Caspr mutant mouse, shambling (shm), which is affected by disrupted paranodal structures and impaired nerve conduction ..
- Kim H, DiBernardo A, Sloane J, Rasband M, Solomon D, Kosaras B, et al. WAVE1 is required for oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and normal CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5849-59 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate a role for WAVE1 in oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and myelination. ..
- Yoshikawa F, Sato Y, Tohyama K, Akagi T, Hashikawa T, Nagakura Takagi Y, et al. Opalin, a transmembrane sialylglycoprotein located in the central nervous system myelin paranodal loop membrane. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20830-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for highly sialylglycosylated Opalin in an intermembranous function of the myelin paranodal loops in the central nervous system. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Matsumura Y, Yamaguchi M. Decrease in phosphatidylserine synthesis in brain microsomes of Shambling mutant mouse. Biochem Int. 1984;8:347-52 pubmed..Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH), which is known to enhance locomotion of animals, also enhanced the rate of PS synthesis to compensate for the genetic defect in the rate of PS synthesis in vitro. ..
- Ashrafi S, Betley J, Comer J, Brenner Morton S, Bar V, Shimoda Y, et al. Neuronal Ig/Caspr recognition promotes the formation of axoaxonic synapses in mouse spinal cord. Neuron. 2014;81:120-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a recognition complex that contributes to the assembly and organization of a specialized GABAergic microcircuit. ..
- Buttermore E, Dupree J, Cheng J, An X, Tessarollo L, Bhat M. The cytoskeletal adaptor protein band 4.1B is required for the maintenance of paranodal axoglial septate junctions in myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2011;31:8013-24 pubmed publisherPrecise targeting and maintenance of axonal domains in myelinated axons is essential for saltatory conduction. Caspr and Caspr2, which localize at paranodal and juxtaparanodal domains, contain binding sites for the cytoskeletal adaptor ..
- O Brien B, Hirano A, Buttermore E, Bhat M, Peles E. Localization of the paranodal protein Caspr in the mammalian retina. Mol Vis. 2010;16:1854-63 pubmed..In the present work, we show that the protein Caspr (Contactin Associated Protein), best known for its critical role in the localization of voltage-gated ion channels ..
- Bonnon C, Goutebroze L, Denisenko Nehrbass N, Girault J, Faivre Sarrailh C. The paranodal complex of F3/contactin and caspr/paranodin traffics to the cell surface via a non-conventional pathway. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:48339-47 pubmed..The cell adhesion molecules caspr/paranodin and F3/contactin play a crucial role in the generation of functional septate-like junctions at paranodes...
- Nodari A, Previtali S, Dati G, Occhi S, Court F, Colombelli C, et al. Alpha6beta4 integrin and dystroglycan cooperate to stabilize the myelin sheath. J Neurosci. 2008;28:6714-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that, similar to its role in skin, alpha6beta4 integrin confers stability to myelin in peripheral nerves. ..
- Gordon A, Adamsky K, Vainshtein A, Frechter S, Dupree J, Rosenbluth J, et al. Caspr and caspr2 are required for both radial and longitudinal organization of myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2014;34:14820-6 pubmed publisher..at the juxtaparanodal region depends on the presence of Caspr2 at this site, as well as on the presence of Caspr at the adjacent paranodal junction...
- Southwood C, He C, Garbern J, Kamholz J, Arroyo E, Gow A. CNS myelin paranodes require Nkx6-2 homeoprotein transcriptional activity for normal structure. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11215-25 pubmed
- Fan L, Xu D, Wang W, Yan K, Wu H, Yao X, et al. Caspr interaction with Amyloid Precursor Protein reduces amyloid-? generation in vitro. Neurosci Lett. 2013;548:255-60 pubmed publisherContactin associated protein (Caspr), an adhesion molecule, plays roles in formation of paranodal junctions in myelinated axons, neurite outgrowth, synaptic plasticity in nervous system...
- Kumazawa T, Adachi K, Ando K, Oda S. Enhancement of 5-hydroxytryptamine turnover in descending serotonergic neurons of shambling mutant mice. Neurochem Int. 1987;11:283-6 pubmed..The present results may show enhancement of 5-HT turnover in descending serotonergic neurons of the shambling mice, and the changes in descending serotonergic neurons seem relevant to the abnormal motor function of the animals. ..
- Hirono M, Ogawa Y, Misono K, Zollinger D, Trimmer J, Rasband M, et al. BK Channels Localize to the Paranodal Junction and Regulate Action Potentials in Myelinated Axons of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:7082-94 pubmed publisher..The paranodal junction is formed by a set of cell-adhesion molecules, including Caspr, between the node and juxtaparanodes in which it separates nodal from internodal membrane domains...
- Ogawa Y, Schafer D, Horresh I, Bar V, Hales K, Yang Y, et al. Spectrins and ankyrinB constitute a specialized paranodal cytoskeleton. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5230-9 pubmed..depends on the presence of three cell adhesion molecules: neurofascin 155 on the glial membrane and a complex of Caspr and contactin on the axon...
- Sun X, Takagishi Y, Okabe E, Chishima Y, Kanou Y, Murase S, et al. A novel Caspr mutation causes the shambling mouse phenotype by disrupting axoglial interactions of myelinated nerves. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009;68:1207-18 pubmed publisher..Positional cloning of shm showed that it encodes contactin-associated protein (Caspr), which is required for formation of the paranodal junction in myelinated nerves...
- Susuki K, Chang K, Zollinger D, Liu Y, Ogawa Y, Eshed Eisenbach Y, et al. Three mechanisms assemble central nervous system nodes of Ranvier. Neuron. 2013;78:469-82 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that ECM, paranodal, and axonal cytoskeletal mechanisms ensure robust CNS nodal Na? channel clustering. ..
- Chang K, Zollinger D, Susuki K, Sherman D, Makara M, Brophy P, et al. Glial ankyrins facilitate paranodal axoglial junction assembly. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1673-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, glial ankyrins function as major scaffolds that facilitate early and efficient paranodal junction assembly in the developing CNS. ..
- Brockschnieder D, Sabanay H, Riethmacher D, Peles E. Ermin, a myelinating oligodendrocyte-specific protein that regulates cell morphology. J Neurosci. 2006;26:757-62 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Ermin is a novel marker of myelinating oligodendroglia and suggest that it plays a role in cytoskeletal rearrangements during the late wrapping and/or compaction phases of myelinogenesis. ..
- Green E. Linkage of shambling with sex in linkage group VII of the mouse. J Hered. 1968;59:59 pubmed
- Lieberoth A, Splittstoesser F, Katagihallimath N, Jakovcevski I, Loers G, Ranscht B, et al. Lewis(x) and alpha2,3-sialyl glycans and their receptors TAG-1, Contactin, and L1 mediate CD24-dependent neurite outgrowth. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6677-90 pubmed publisher..Their cis interactions with neighboring adhesion molecules, e.g., Caspr1 and Caspr2, and with their triggered signal transduction pathways elicit cell type-specific promotion or ..
- Eisenbach M, Kartvelishvily E, Eshed Eisenbach Y, Watkins T, Sorensen A, Thomson C, et al. Differential clustering of Caspr by oligodendrocytes and Schwann cells. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:3492-501 pubmed publisher..three cell adhesion molecules: the 155-kDa isoform of neurofascin (NF155) on the glial membrane and a complex of Caspr and contactin found on the axolemma...
- Ogawa Y, Oses Prieto J, Kim M, Horresh I, Peles E, Burlingame A, et al. ADAM22, a Kv1 channel-interacting protein, recruits membrane-associated guanylate kinases to juxtaparanodes of myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:1038-48 pubmed publisher..Analysis of Caspr-null mice showed that, like other previously described juxtaparanodal proteins, disruption of the paranodal ..
- Lacas Gervais S, Guo J, Strenzke N, Scarfone E, Kolpe M, Jahkel M, et al. BetaIVSigma1 spectrin stabilizes the nodes of Ranvier and axon initial segments. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:983-90 pubmed..These ultrastructural changes can explain the motor and auditory neuropathies present in betaIVSigma1 -/- mice and point to the betaIVSigma1 spectrin isoform as a master-stabilizing factor of AIS/NR membranes. ..
- Devanathan V, Jakovcevski I, Santuccione A, Li S, Lee H, Peles E, et al. Cellular form of prion protein inhibits Reelin-mediated shedding of Caspr from the neuronal cell surface to potentiate Caspr-mediated inhibition of neurite outgrowth. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9292-305 pubmed publisher..We identify a novel role for contactin-associated protein (Caspr) as an inhibitory cue that reduces neurite outgrowth from CNS neurons...
- Green E. Fitness of heterozygotes of deleterious recessive mutations in the mouse. Mutat Res. 1971;12:281-9 pubmed
- Chatzopoulou E, Miguez A, Savvaki M, Levasseur G, Muzerelle A, Muriel M, et al. Structural requirement of TAG-1 for retinal ganglion cell axons and myelin in the mouse optic nerve. J Neurosci. 2008;28:7624-36 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TAG-1 is an essential regulator of the structure of RGC axons and their surrounding glial cells in the optic nerve. ..
- Pillai A, Garcia Fresco G, Sousa A, Dupree J, Philpot B, Bhat M. No effect of genetic deletion of contactin-associated protein (CASPR) on axonal orientation and synaptic plasticity. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:2318-31 pubmed..characterizations of the paranodal axoglial SJs have identified several molecular components that include Caspr and contactin (Cont) on the axonal side and neurofascin 155 kDa (NF155) isoform on the glial side...
- Coulpier F, Decker L, Funalot B, Vallat J, Garcia Bragado F, Charnay P, et al. CNS/PNS boundary transgression by central glia in the absence of Schwann cells or Krox20/Egr2 function. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5958-67 pubmed publisher..This indicates that transgression of the CNS/PNS boundary by central glia can occur in pathological situations in humans and suggests that the underlying mechanisms are common with the mouse. ..
- Colombelli C, Palmisano M, Eshed Eisenbach Y, Zambroni D, Pavoni E, Ferri C, et al. Perlecan is recruited by dystroglycan to nodes of Ranvier and binds the clustering molecule gliomedin. J Cell Biol. 2015;208:313-29 pubmed publisher..Further, our data indicate that dystroglycan binds free matrix that is not organized in a basal lamina. ..
- Mitsuma T, Adachi K, Mukoyama M, Ohsugi K, Ando K. Concentrations of thyrotropin-releasing hormone and substance P are increased in several areas of the central nervous system of shambling mutant mice. Neurochem Int. 1988;13:261-4 pubmed..The findings suggest that changes in TRH and SP concentration in the brain might be relevant to the motor dysfunction of shambling mouse. ..
- Roche S, Sherman D, Dissanayake K, Soucy G, Desmazieres A, Lamont D, et al. Loss of glial neurofascin155 delays developmental synapse elimination at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2014;34:12904-18 pubmed publisher..axo-glial junctions, as synapse elimination occurred normally in mice lacking the axonal paranodal protein Caspr. Rather, high-resolution proteomic screens revealed that loss of Nfasc155 from glial cells was sufficient to ..
- DomÃ¨nech EstÃ©vez E, Baloui H, Repond C, Rosafio K, MÃ©dard J, Tricaud N, et al. Distribution of monocarboxylate transporters in the peripheral nervous system suggests putative roles in lactate shuttling and myelination. J Neurosci. 2015;35:4151-6 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that lactate homeostasis participates in the regulation of the SC myelination program and reveal that similar to CNS, PNS axon-glial metabolic interactions are most likely mediated by MCTs. ..
- Saifetiarova J, Liu X, Taylor A, Li J, Bhat M. Axonal domain disorganization in Caspr1 and Caspr2 mutant myelinated axons affects neuromuscular junction integrity, leading to muscle atrophy. J Neurosci Res. 2017;95:1373-1390 pubmed publisher..Using conventional Contactin-Associated Protein 1 (Caspr1) and Caspr2 single or double mutants with disrupted paranodal, juxtaparanodal, or both regions, respectively, in ..
- Fuchs P, Zörer M, Reipert S, Rezniczek G, Propst F, Walko G, et al. Targeted inactivation of a developmentally regulated neural plectin isoform (plectin 1c) in mice leads to reduced motor nerve conduction velocity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26502-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first report demonstrating an important role of plectin in a major nerve function. ..
- Sousa A, Andrade L, Salles F, Pillai A, Buttermore E, Bhat M, et al. The septate junction protein caspr is required for structural support and retention of KCNQ4 at calyceal synapses of vestibular hair cells. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3103-8 pubmed publisher..We found that a core molecular component of SJs, Caspr, colocalizes with the K(+) channel KCNQ4 at the postsynaptic membranes of these calyceal synapses...
- Meier H. Pathological findings in shambling, a hereditary neuropathy of mice. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1967;26:620-33 pubmed
- Horresh I, Bar V, Kissil J, Peles E. Organization of myelinated axons by Caspr and Caspr2 requires the cytoskeletal adapter protein 4.1B. J Neurosci. 2010;30:2480-9 pubmed publisherb>Caspr and Caspr2 regulate the formation of distinct axonal domains around the nodes of Ranvier...
- Jarjour A, Bull S, Almasieh M, Rajasekharan S, Baker K, Mui J, et al. Maintenance of axo-oligodendroglial paranodal junctions requires DCC and netrin-1. J Neurosci. 2008;28:11003-14 pubmed publisher..K+ channels inappropriately invade the paranodal region, and the normally restricted paranodal distribution of Caspr expands longitudinally along the axon...
- Nie D, Zhou Z, Ang B, Teng F, Xu G, Xiang T, et al. Nogo-A at CNS paranodes is a ligand of Caspr: possible regulation of K(+) channel localization. EMBO J. 2003;22:5666-78 pubmedWe report Nogo-A as an oligodendroglial component congregating and interacting with the Caspr-F3 complex at paranodes. However, its receptor Nogo-66 receptor (NgR) does not segregate to specific axonal domains...
- Wu Z, Li D, Huang Y, Chen X, Huang W, Liu C, et al. Caspr Controls the Temporal Specification of Neural Progenitor Cells through Notch Signaling in the Developing Mouse Cerebral Cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2017;27:1369-1385 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show that the adhesion molecule contactin-associated protein (Caspr), which is involved in the maintenance of the polarized domains of myelinated axons, is essential for the timing ..
- Arroyo E, Xu T, Poliak S, Watson M, Peles E, Scherer S. Internodal specializations of myelinated axons in the central nervous system. Cell Tissue Res. 2001;305:53-66 pubmedWe have examined the localization of contactin-associated protein (Caspr), the Shaker-type potassium channels, Kv1.1 and Kv1.2, their associated beta subunit, Kvbeta2, and Caspr2 in the myelinated fibers of the CNS...
- Green E. Shambling, a neurological mutant of the mouse. J Hered. 1967;58:65-8 pubmed
- Seyfried T, Weber E, Daniel W. Absence of brain ganglioside abnormalities in shambling mutant mice. J Neurochem. 1976;27:295-6 pubmed