Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cnp
Description: 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3' phosphodiesterase
Alias: CNPase, Cnp-1, Cnp1, 2',3'-cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase, cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 1
- Thurnherr T, Benninger Y, Wu X, Chrostek A, Krause S, Nave K, et al. Cdc42 and Rac1 signaling are both required for and act synergistically in the correct formation of myelin sheaths in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10110-9 pubmed
- Cai J, Chen Y, Cai W, Hurlock E, Wu H, Kernie S, et al. A crucial role for Olig2 in white matter astrocyte development. Development. 2007;134:1887-99 pubmed
- Brinkmann B, Agarwal A, Sereda M, Garratt A, Muller T, Wende H, et al. Neuregulin-1/ErbB signaling serves distinct functions in myelination of the peripheral and central nervous system. Neuron. 2008;59:581-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, NRG1/ErbB signaling is markedly different between Schwann cells and oligodendrocytes that have evolved an NRG/ErbB-independent mechanism of myelination control. ..
- Gobert R, Joubert L, Curchod M, Salvat C, Foucault I, Jorand Lebrun C, et al. Convergent functional genomics of oligodendrocyte differentiation identifies multiple autoinhibitory signaling circuits. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1538-53 pubmed publisher..Among these repressors were CNP, a well-known myelin constituent, and three phosphatases, each known to negatively control mitogen-activated ..
- Kumar S, Biancotti J, Matalon R, de Vellis J. Lack of aspartoacylase activity disrupts survival and differentiation of neural progenitors and oligodendrocytes in a mouse model of Canavan disease. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:3415-27 pubmed publisher..We also report an early expression of full-length ASPA mRNA in normal mouse brain at embryonic day 12.5, when OL progenitors first appear during development. These findings support involvement of ASPA in CNS development and function. ..
- Rasband M, Tayler J, Kaga Y, Yang Y, Lappe Siefke C, Nave K, et al. CNP is required for maintenance of axon-glia interactions at nodes of Ranvier in the CNS. Glia. 2005;50:86-90 pubmed..We report that Cnp1-null mice, lacking expression of the myelin protein cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (CNP), have disrupted ..
- Wahl S, McLane L, Bercury K, Macklin W, Wood T. Mammalian target of rapamycin promotes oligodendrocyte differentiation, initiation and extent of CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4453-65 pubmed publisher..Here we use Cre-recombinase driven by the CNP promoter to generate a mouse line with oligodendrocyte-specific knockdown of mTOR (mTOR cKO) in the CNS...
- Grove M, Komiyama N, Nave K, Grant S, Sherman D, Brophy P. FAK is required for axonal sorting by Schwann cells. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:277-82 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the vital relationship between axon defasciculation and Schwann cell number and show the importance of FAK in regulating cell proliferation in the developing nervous system. ..
- Câmara J, Wang Z, Nunes Fonseca C, Friedman H, Grove M, Sherman D, et al. Integrin-mediated axoglial interactions initiate myelination in the central nervous system. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:699-712 pubmed publisher..We conclude that beta1 integrin plays a key role in the axoglial interactions that sense axon size and initiate myelination, such that loss of integrin signaling leads to a delay in myelination of small-diameter axons. ..
- Edgar J, McLaughlin M, Werner H, McCulloch M, Barrie J, Brown A, et al. Early ultrastructural defects of axons and axon-glia junctions in mice lacking expression of Cnp1. Glia. 2009;57:1815-24 pubmed publisher..We also show that axonal degeneration in Cnp1 null mice is present very early in postnatal life...
- Snaidero N, Mobius W, Czopka T, Hekking L, Mathisen C, Verkleij D, et al. Myelin membrane wrapping of CNS axons by PI(3,4,5)P3-dependent polarized growth at the inner tongue. Cell. 2014;156:277-90 pubmed publisher..Our model can explain assembly of myelin as a multilayered structure, abnormal myelin outfoldings in neurological disease, and plasticity of myelin biogenesis observed in adult life. ..
- Mei F, Wang H, Liu S, Niu J, Wang L, He Y, et al. Stage-specific deletion of Olig2 conveys opposing functions on differentiation and maturation of oligodendrocytes. J Neurosci. 2013;33:8454-62 pubmed publisher..for a stage-specific role, we deleted Olig2 in oligodendrocyte precursor cells (OPCs) under the control of the CNPase-promoter or in immature OLs under the inducible proteolipid protein promoter...
- Lappe Siefke C, Goebbels S, Gravel M, Nicksch E, Lee J, Braun P, et al. Disruption of Cnp1 uncouples oligodendroglial functions in axonal support and myelination. Nat Genet. 2003;33:366-74 pubmed..But long-term interactions between axons and their myelin sheaths are poorly understood. Here we show that Cnp1, which encodes 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase in oligodendrocytes, is essential for axonal survival but ..
- Ishii A, Furusho M, Bansal R. Sustained activation of ERK1/2 MAPK in oligodendrocytes and schwann cells enhances myelin growth and stimulates oligodendrocyte progenitor expansion. J Neurosci. 2013;33:175-86 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Schwann cells with activated ERK1/2 hypermyelinate PNS axons, suggesting that ERK1/2 signaling is a conserved mechanism that promotes both CNS and PNS developmental myelination. ..
- Sherman D, Wu L, Grove M, Gillespie C, Brophy P. Drp2 and periaxin form Cajal bands with dystroglycan but have distinct roles in Schwann cell growth. J Neurosci. 2012;32:9419-28 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the primary role of the dystroglycan complex in appositions is to stabilize and limit the radial growth of myelin. ..
- Millet V, Marder M, Pasquini L. Adult CNP::EGFP transgenic mouse shows pronounced hypomyelination and an increased vulnerability to cuprizone-induced demyelination. Exp Neurol. 2012;233:490-504 pubmed publisher..the enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) under the control of the 2-3-cyclic nucleotide 3-phosphodiesterase (CNPase) promoter in oligodendroglial and Schwann cells, constitute a very important and widely used tool for the study of ..
- Saadat L, Dupree J, Kilkus J, Han X, Traka M, Proia R, et al. Absence of oligodendroglial glucosylceramide synthesis does not result in CNS myelin abnormalities or alter the dysmyelinating phenotype of CGT-deficient mice. Glia. 2010;58:391-8 pubmed publisher..These mice (Ugcg(flox/flox);Cnp/Cre) did not show any apparent clinical phenotype, their total brain and myelin extracts had normal GSL content, ..
- Snaidero N, Velte C, Myllykoski M, Raasakka A, Ignatev A, Werner H, et al. Antagonistic Functions of MBP and CNP Establish Cytosolic Channels in CNS Myelin. Cell Rep. 2017;18:314-323 pubmed publisher..We identified 2,'3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase (CNP), an oligodendrocyte-specific protein previously implicated in the maintenance of axonal integrity, as an essential ..
- Kang Z, Wang C, Zepp J, Wu L, Sun K, Zhao J, et al. Act1 mediates IL-17-induced EAE pathogenesis selectively in NG2+ glial cells. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1401-8 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity of oligodendrocyte lineage cells to IL-17-mediated toxicity further suggests a direct link between inflammation and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis. ..
- Bercury K, Dai J, Sachs H, Ahrendsen J, Wood T, Macklin W. Conditional ablation of raptor or rictor has differential impact on oligodendrocyte differentiation and CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4466-80 pubmed publisher..Also, we show that loss of Raptor in oligodendrocytes results in differential dysmyelination in specific areas of the CNS, with the greatest impact on spinal cord myelination. ..
- Brockschnieder D, Lappe Siefke C, Goebbels S, Boesl M, Nave K, Riethmacher D. Cell depletion due to diphtheria toxin fragment A after Cre-mediated recombination. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:7636-42 pubmed
- Monoh K, Kurihara T, Sakimura K, Takahashi Y. Structure of mouse 2',3'-cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;165:1213-20 pubmed..The transcription initiation site was identified. The mouse cDNA of 2374 bp was obtained and used for the screening and analysis of the gene. ..
- Kaga Y, Shoemaker W, Furusho M, Bryant M, Rosenbluth J, Pfeiffer S, et al. Mice with conditional inactivation of fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 signaling in oligodendrocytes have normal myelin but display dramatic hyperactivity when combined with Cnp1 inactivation. J Neurosci. 2006;26:12339-50 pubmed..coexpress Cre recombinase (cre) as a knock-in gene into the OL-specific 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (Cnp1) locus...
- Brockschnieder D, Pechmann Y, Sonnenberg Riethmacher E, Riethmacher D. An improved mouse line for Cre-induced cell ablation due to diphtheria toxin A, expressed from the Rosa26 locus. Genesis. 2006;44:322-7 pubmed..The novel R26:lacZbpA(flox)DTA line is expected to greatly facilitate the reliable generation of cell type ablated mice. ..
- Tognatta R, Sun W, Goebbels S, Nave K, Nishiyama A, Schoch S, et al. Transient Cnp expression by early progenitors causes Cre-Lox-based reporter lines to map profoundly different fates. Glia. 2017;65:342-359 pubmed publisher..Here, we use CNP-Cre mice to map the fate of a sub-population of NG2 cells assumed to be close to differentiation...
- Proctor W, Wu P, Bennett B, Johnson T. Differential effects of ethanol on gamma-aminobutyric acid-A receptor-mediated synaptic currents in congenic strains of inbred long and short-sleep mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2004;28:1277-83 pubmed..Although the Lore2 and Lore5 QTL regions have a significant effect on sleep time, they do not play a significant role in the differential ethanol enhancement of GABAA IPSCs between ILS and ISS mice. ..
- Machold R, Hayashi S, Rutlin M, Muzumdar M, Nery S, Corbin J, et al. Sonic hedgehog is required for progenitor cell maintenance in telencephalic stem cell niches. Neuron. 2003;39:937-50 pubmed..These results suggest that hedgehog signaling is required to maintain progenitor cells in the postnatal telencephalon. ..
- Gomes W, Mehler M, Kessler J. Transgenic overexpression of BMP4 increases astroglial and decreases oligodendroglial lineage commitment. Dev Biol. 2003;255:164-77 pubmed..Therefore, BMPs are likely important mediators of astrocyte development in vivo. ..
- Kurihara T, Monoh K, Takahashi Y, Goto K, Kondo H. 2',3'-Cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase. Complementary DNA and gene cloning for mouse enzyme and in situ hybridization of the messenger RNA in mouse brain. Adv Second Messenger Phosphoprotein Res. 1992;25:101-10 pubmed
- Mei F, Lehmann Horn K, Shen Y, Rankin K, Stebbins K, Lorrain D, et al. Accelerated remyelination during inflammatory demyelination prevents axonal loss and improves functional recovery. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Together our findings demonstrate that accelerated remyelination supports axonal integrity and neuronal function after inflammatory demyelination. ..
- Budde H, Schmitt S, Fitzner D, Opitz L, Salinas Riester G, Simons M. Control of oligodendroglial cell number by the miR-17-92 cluster. Development. 2010;137:2127-32 pubmed publisher..specifically deleted the miR-17-92 cluster in oligodendrocytes using 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3' phosphodiesterase (Cnp)-Cre mice...
- Hammond E, Lang J, Maeda Y, Pleasure D, ANGUS HILL M, Xu J, et al. The Wnt effector transcription factor 7-like 2 positively regulates oligodendrocyte differentiation in a manner independent of Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling. J Neurosci. 2015;35:5007-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides novel data justifying therapeutic attempts to enhance, rather than inhibit, TCF7l2 signaling to overcome arrested oligodendroglial differentiation in multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases. ..
- Jarjour A, Boyd A, Dow L, Holloway R, Goebbels S, Humbert P, et al. The polarity protein Scribble regulates myelination and remyelination in the central nervous system. PLoS Biol. 2015;13:e1002107 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate an essential role for the evolutionarily-conserved regulators of intracellular polarity in myelination and remyelination. ..
- Benninger Y, Thurnherr T, Pereira J, Krause S, Wu X, Chrostek Grashoff A, et al. Essential and distinct roles for cdc42 and rac1 in the regulation of Schwann cell biology during peripheral nervous system development. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:1051-61 pubmed..Our results indicate that although cdc42 is required for normal Schwann cell proliferation, rac1 regulates Schwann cell process extension and stabilization, allowing efficient radial sorting of axon bundles...
- Jiang M, Liu L, He X, Wang H, Lin W, Wang H, et al. Regulation of PERK-eIF2? signalling by tuberous sclerosis complex-1 controls homoeostasis and survival of myelinating oligodendrocytes. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12185 pubmed publisher..Thus, TSC1-mTOR signalling acts as an important checkpoint for maintaining oligodendrocyte homoeostasis, pointing to a previously uncharacterized ER stress mechanism that contributes to hypomyelination in tuberous sclerosis. ..
- Miyoshi K, Cui Y, Riedlinger G, Robinson P, Lehoczky J, Zon L, et al. Structure of the mouse Stat 3/5 locus: evolution from Drosophila to zebrafish to mouse. Genomics. 2001;71:150-5 pubmed..Within this region we identified the genes encoding m-Stats 3, 5a, and 5b, Cnp1, Hcrt/Orexin, Ptrf, GCN5, mDj11, and four new genes...
- Chang K, Zollinger D, Susuki K, Sherman D, Makara M, Brophy P, et al. Glial ankyrins facilitate paranodal axoglial junction assembly. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1673-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, glial ankyrins function as major scaffolds that facilitate early and efficient paranodal junction assembly in the developing CNS. ..
- Saher G, Rudolphi F, Corthals K, Ruhwedel T, Schmidt K, Lowel S, et al. Therapy of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease in mice by feeding a cholesterol-enriched diet. Nat Med. 2012;18:1130-5 pubmed publisher..Dietary cholesterol did not reduce Plp1 overexpression but facilitated incorporation of PLP into myelin membranes. These findings may have implications for therapeutic interventions in patients with PMD. ..
- Maggipinto M, Ford J, Le K, Tutolo J, Furusho M, Wizeman J, et al. Conditional knockout of TOG results in CNS hypomyelination. Glia. 2017;65:489-501 pubmed publisher..TOG may be necessary for MBP mRNA assembly into translation permissive granules, and/or for transport to preferred sites of translation. GLIA 2017;65:489-501. ..
- Montani L, Buerki Thurnherr T, de Faria J, Pereira J, Dias N, Fernandes R, et al. Profilin 1 is required for peripheral nervous system myelination. Development. 2014;141:1553-61 pubmed publisher..This pathway, acting in parallel with integrin ?1/LCK/Rac1 and their effectors critically regulates SC lamellipodia formation, radial sorting and myelination during peripheral nervous system maturation. ..
- Zollinger D, Chang K, Baalman K, Kim S, Rasband M. The Polarity Protein Pals1 Regulates Radial Sorting of Axons. J Neurosci. 2015;35:10474-84 pubmed publisher..Radial sorting is essential for efficient and proper myelination and is disrupted in some types of congenital muscular dystrophy. ..
- Hakanen J, Duprat S, Salminen M. Netrin1 is required for neural and glial precursor migrations into the olfactory bulb. Dev Biol. 2011;355:101-14 pubmed publisher..However, NTN1 is dispensable for the proliferation of neurosphere forming progenitor cells and for their differentiation. ..
- Goebbels S, Oltrogge J, Kemper R, Heilmann I, Bormuth I, Wolfer S, et al. Elevated phosphatidylinositol 3,4,5-trisphosphate in glia triggers cell-autonomous membrane wrapping and myelination. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8953-64 pubmed publisher..That myelin synthesis is not restricted to early development but can occur later in life is relevant to developmental disorders and myelin disease. ..
- Alpi E, Landi E, Barilari M, Serresi M, Salvadori P, Bachi A, et al. Channel-interacting PDZ protein, 'CIPP', interacts with proteins involved in cytoskeletal dynamics. Biochem J. 2009;419:289-300 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the puncta nature, using various endocytic markers, revealed that they are not related to cytoplasmic vesicles, but rather represent multi-protein assemblies, where CIPP can tether other potential interactors. ..
- Ito Y, Ofengeim D, Najafov A, Das S, Saberi S, Li Y, et al. RIPK1 mediates axonal degeneration by promoting inflammation and necroptosis in ALS. Science. 2016;353:603-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, inhibiting RIPK1 kinase may provide an axonal protective strategy for the treatment of ALS and other human degenerative diseases characterized by axonal degeneration. ..
- Grove M, Brophy P. FAK is required for Schwann cell spreading on immature basal lamina to coordinate the radial sorting of peripheral axons with myelination. J Neurosci. 2014;34:13422-34 pubmed publisher..Hence, FAK has a critical role in the response of SCs to limiting BL by promoting proliferation and preventing premature SC differentiation. ..
- Hashimoto M, Murata K, Ishida J, Kanou A, Kasuya Y, Fukamizu A. Severe Hypomyelination and Developmental Defects Are Caused in Mice Lacking Protein Arginine Methyltransferase 1 (PRMT1) in the Central Nervous System. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2237-45 pubmed publisher..most major myelin proteins including myelin basic protein (MBP), 2',3'-cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase (CNPase), and myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG) were dramatically decreased, although neuronal and astrocytic markers ..
- Furusho M, Dupree J, Bryant M, Bansal R. Disruption of fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling in nonmyelinating Schwann cells causes sensory axonal neuropathy and impairment of thermal pain sensitivity. J Neurosci. 2009;29:1608-14 pubmed publisher..This study provides a novel molecular mechanism for nociception with possible implications for pain sensitivity in peripheral sensory neuropathies. ..
- Kurihara T, Takahashi Y, Fujita N, Sato S, Miyatake T. Developmental expression of 2',3'-cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase mRNA in brains of normal and quaking mice. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1989;5:247-50 pubmed..At all stages of development studied, the mRNA bands in quaking mice were markedly reduced as compared with those in normal mice...
- Hisaoka T, Morikawa Y, Komori T, Sugiyama T, Kitamura T, Senba E. Characterization of TROY-expressing cells in the developing and postnatal CNS: the possible role in neuronal and glial cell development. Eur J Neurosci. 2006;23:3149-60 pubmed..These findings suggest that the signaling from TROY regulates neuronal differentiation at least in part. ..
- Madsen P, Motti D, Karmally S, Szymkowski D, Lambertsen K, Bethea J, et al. Oligodendroglial TNFR2 Mediates Membrane TNF-Dependent Repair in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by Promoting Oligodendrocyte Differentiation and Remyelination. J Neurosci. 2016;36:5128-43 pubmed publisher..b>CNP-cre:TNFR2(fl/fl) mice with TNFR2 ablation in oligodendrocytes show exacerbation of the disease with increased axon ..
- Peyron F, Timsit S, Thomas J, Kagawa T, Ikenaka K, Zalc B. In situ expression of PLP/DM-20, MBP, and CNP during embryonic and postnatal development of the jimpy mutant and of transgenic mice overexpressing PLP. J Neurosci Res. 1997;50:190-201 pubmed..the spatiotemporal expression of dm-20, myelin basic protein (MBP) and 2'-3' cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (CNP) during embryonic and postnatal development of the normal mouse and two plp/dm-20 mutants: the jimpy mouse and a ..
- Chen X, Rivard L, Naqvi S, Nakada S, Padbury J, Sanchez Esteban J, et al. Expression and localization of Inter-alpha Inhibitors in rodent brain. Neuroscience. 2016;324:69-81 pubmed publisher..We speculate that endogenous IAIPs may represent endogenous neuroprotective immunomodulatory proteins within the CNS. ..
- Edgar N, Touma C, Palme R, Sibille E. Resilient emotionality and molecular compensation in mice lacking the oligodendrocyte-specific gene Cnp1. Transl Psychiatry. 2011;1:e42 pubmed publisher..Focusing on 2'-3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase (Cnp1), a crucial component of axoglial communication dysregulated in the amygdala of MDD subjects and UCMS-exposed mice, ..
- Takebayashi H, Yoshida S, Sugimori M, Kosako H, Kominami R, Nakafuku M, et al. Dynamic expression of basic helix-loop-helix Olig family members: implication of Olig2 in neuron and oligodendrocyte differentiation and identification of a new member, Olig3. Mech Dev. 2000;99:143-8 pubmed..expression domain is broader than that of Olig1 and does not overlap with an oligodendrocyte progenitor marker, CNP. Furthermore, Olig2 is expressed in most cells in the ventral half of the early embryonic spinal cord, which do not ..
- Parenti R, Cicirata F, Zappala A, Catania A, La Delia F, Cicirata V, et al. Dynamic expression of Cx47 in mouse brain development and in the cuprizone model of myelin plasticity. Glia. 2010;58:1594-609 pubmed publisher..Taken as a whole the evidence suggests that Cx47 play a key role in myelination. ..
- Zou Y, Jiang W, Wang J, Li Z, Zhang J, Bu J, et al. Oligodendrocyte precursor cell-intrinsic effect of Rheb1 controls differentiation and mediates mTORC1-dependent myelination in brain. J Neurosci. 2014;34:15764-78 pubmed publisher..driver line that deletes Rheb1 in all neural cell lineages, and recent studies using oligodendrocyte-specific CNP-Cre have suggested a preferential role for mTORC1 is myelination in the spinal cord...
- Hussien Y, Podojil J, Robinson A, Lee A, Miller S, Popko B. ER Chaperone BiP/GRP78 Is Required for Myelinating Cell Survival and Provides Protection during Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15921-33 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that BiP is critical for myelinating cell survival and contributes to the protective response of oligodendrocyte against inflammatory demyelination. ..
- Shekarabi M, Salin Cantegrel A, Laganiere J, Gaudet R, Dion P, Rouleau G. Cellular expression of the K+-Cl- cotransporter KCC3 in the central nervous system of mouse. Brain Res. 2011;1374:15-26 pubmed publisher..Finally, we showed that some non-neuronal cells, such as radial glial-like cells in the spinal cord, also express KCC3. ..
- Furusho M, Roulois A, Franklin R, Bansal R. Fibroblast growth factor signaling in oligodendrocyte-lineage cells facilitates recovery of chronically demyelinated lesions but is redundant in acute lesions. Glia. 2015;63:1714-28 pubmed publisher..Thus, FGF-based therapies have potential value in stimulating oligodendrocyte and myelin regeneration in late-stage disease. ..
- Rebbe N, Tong B, Finley E, Hickman S. Identification of nucleotide pyrophosphatase/alkaline phosphodiesterase I activity associated with the mouse plasma cell differentiation antigen PC-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:5192-6 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that the plasma cell differentiation antigen PC-1 is a membrane-bound enzyme, nucleotide pyrophosphatase/alkaline phosphodiesterase I. ..
- Bernier L, Colman D, D EUSTACHIO P. Chromosomal locations of genes encoding 2',3' cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase and glial fibrillary acidic protein in the mouse. J Neurosci Res. 1988;20:497-504 pubmedCyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (CNP) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) are useful markers of myelin and astroglia, respectively. Two proteins with CNP activity are known to exist in brain and lymphoid tissues...
- Stolt C, Rehberg S, Ader M, Lommes P, Riethmacher D, Schachner M, et al. Terminal differentiation of myelin-forming oligodendrocytes depends on the transcription factor Sox10. Genes Dev. 2002;16:165-70 pubmed..Sox10 directly regulates myelin gene expression in oligodendrocytes, but does not control erbB3 expression as in peripheral glia. Sox10 thus functions in peripheral and central glia at different stages and through different mechanisms. ..
- Sugimori M, Nagao M, Parras C, Nakatani H, Lebel M, Guillemot F, et al. Ascl1 is required for oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cord. Development. 2008;135:1271-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ascl1 regulates multiple aspects of oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cord. ..
- Rahrmann E, Watson A, Keng V, Choi K, Moriarity B, Beckmann D, et al. Forward genetic screen for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor formation identifies new genes and pathways driving tumorigenesis. Nat Genet. 2013;45:756-66 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we identified several new proto-oncogenes, including Foxr2 (encoding forkhead box R2), which we functionally validated as a proto-oncogene involved in MPNST maintenance. ..
- Saab A, Tzvetavona I, Trevisiol A, Baltan S, Dibaj P, Kusch K, et al. Oligodendroglial NMDA Receptors Regulate Glucose Import and Axonal Energy Metabolism. Neuron. 2016;91:119-32 pubmed publisher..This reveals a novel aspect of neuronal energy metabolism in which activity-dependent glutamate release enhances oligodendroglial glucose uptake and glycolytic support of fast spiking axons. ..
- Emery B, Agalliu D, Cahoy J, Watkins T, Dugas J, Mulinyawe S, et al. Myelin gene regulatory factor is a critical transcriptional regulator required for CNS myelination. Cell. 2009;138:172-85 pubmed publisher..These findings establish MRF as a critical transcriptional regulator essential for oligodendrocyte maturation and CNS myelination. ..
- Ohno M, Hiraoka Y, Matsuoka T, Tomimoto H, Takao K, Miyakawa T, et al. Nardilysin regulates axonal maturation and myelination in the central and peripheral nervous system. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1506-13 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these data, we propose that NRDc regulates axonal maturation and myelination in the CNS and PNS, in part, through the modulation of NRG1 shedding. ..
- Hartman B, Nelson B, Reh T, Bermingham McDonogh O. Delta/notch-like EGF-related receptor (DNER) is expressed in hair cells and neurons in the developing and adult mouse inner ear. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2010;11:187-201 pubmed publisher..We found no defects in expression of markers of supporting cells and glia or myelin, and no abnormalities in hair cells or neurons, suggesting that DNER plays a redundant role with other Notch ligands in cochlear development. ..
- Wu W, Gu W, Xu X, Shang S, Zhao Z. Downregulation of CNPase in a MeCP2 deficient mouse model of Rett syndrome. Neurol Res. 2012;34:107-13 pubmed publisher..and Western blot analysis for connexin (Cx)43, Cx45, Cx40, Cx32, 2,3-cyclic nucleotide 3-phosphohydrolase (CNPase), and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP)...
- Frühbeis C, Fröhlich D, Kuo W, Amphornrat J, Thilemann S, Saab A, et al. Neurotransmitter-triggered transfer of exosomes mediates oligodendrocyte-neuron communication. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001604 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that oligodendroglial exosomes participate in a novel mode of bidirectional neuron-glia communication contributing to neuronal integrity. ..
- Raasakka A, Myllykoski M, Laulumaa S, LehtimÃ¤ki M, HÃ¤rtlein M, Moulin M, et al. Determinants of ligand binding and catalytic activity in the myelin enzyme 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase. Sci Rep. 2015;5:16520 pubmed publisher2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase (CNPase) is an enzyme highly abundant in the central nervous system myelin of terrestrial vertebrates...
- Feigenson K, Reid M, See J, Crenshaw E, Grinspan J. Wnt signaling is sufficient to perturb oligodendrocyte maturation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;42:255-65 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that activating the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway delays the development of myelinating oligodendrocytes. ..
- Zhu Q, Tan Z, Zhao S, Huang H, Zhao X, Hu X, et al. Developmental expression and function analysis of protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type D in oligodendrocyte myelination. Neuroscience. 2015;308:106-14 pubmed publisher..Our results also showed that the remyelination process was not affected in the absence of PTPRD function after a cuprizone-induced demyelination in adult animals. ..
- Leslie J, Imai F, Fukuhara K, Takegahara N, Rizvi T, Friedel R, et al. Ectopic myelinating oligodendrocytes in the dorsal spinal cord as a consequence of altered semaphorin 6D signaling inhibit synapse formation. Development. 2011;138:4085-95 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the relationship between oligodendrocytes and synapse formation in vivo, which might be an important element in controlling the development of neural wiring in the central nervous system. ..
- He Y, Dupree J, Wang J, Sandoval J, Li J, Liu H, et al. The transcription factor Yin Yang 1 is essential for oligodendrocyte progenitor differentiation. Neuron. 2007;55:217-30 pubmed..Thus, we identify YY1 as an essential component of the transcriptional network regulating the transition of oligodendrocyte progenitors from cell cycle exit to differentiation. ..
- Medina D, Sciarretta C, Calella A, Von Bohlen Und Halbach O, Unsicker K, Minichiello L. TrkB regulates neocortex formation through the Shc/PLCgamma-mediated control of neuronal migration. EMBO J. 2004;23:3803-14 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence that TrkB regulates important functions throughout the formation of the cerebral cortex via recruitment of the Shc/FRS2 adaptors and PLCgamma. ..
- Koleske A, Gifford A, Scott M, Nee M, Bronson R, Miczek K, et al. Essential roles for the Abl and Arg tyrosine kinases in neurulation. Neuron. 1998;21:1259-72 pubmed..Thus, Abl and Arg play essential roles in neurulation and can regulate the structure of the actin cytoskeleton. ..