Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cnga2
Description: cyclic nucleotide gated channel alpha 2
Alias: CNG2, Cnca, Cncg4, OCNC1, cyclic nucleotide-gated olfactory channel, CNG channel alpha-2, cyclic nucleotide gated channel 4, cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel 2
- Billig G, Pál B, Fidzinski P, Jentsch T. Ca2+-activated Cl? currents are dispensable for olfaction. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:763-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast with the current view, cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels do not need a boost by Cl(-) channels to achieve near-physiological levels of olfaction...
- Mandiyan V, Coats J, Shah N. Deficits in sexual and aggressive behaviors in Cnga2 mutant mice. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1660-2 pubmed..We demonstrate that mice lacking functional CNGA2 (cyclic nucleotide-gated channel alpha2), which is required for odor-evoked MOE signaling, fail to mate or fight, ..
- Kaneko Goto T, Sato Y, Katada S, Kinameri E, Yoshihara S, Nishiyori A, et al. Goofy coordinates the acuity of olfactory signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12987-96, 12996a pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Goofy plays an important role in establishing the acuity of olfactory sensory signaling. ..
- Mangan P, O Quinn D, Harrington L, Bonder C, Kubes P, Kucik D, et al. Both Th1 and Th2 cells require P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 for optimal rolling on inflamed endothelium. Am J Pathol. 2005;167:1661-75 pubmed
- Matsuo T, Hattori T, Asaba A, Inoue N, Kanomata N, Kikusui T, et al. Genetic dissection of pheromone processing reveals main olfactory system-mediated social behaviors in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E311-20 pubmed publisher..Identification of the MOS-AON-mediated pheromone pathway may provide insights into pheromone signaling in animals that do not possess a functional VNS, including humans. ..
- Hu J, Zhong C, Ding C, Chi Q, Walz A, Mombaerts P, et al. Detection of near-atmospheric concentrations of CO2 by an olfactory subsystem in the mouse. Science. 2007;317:953-7 pubmed..066%, and this sensitive CO2 detection required CAII activity. We conclude that mice detect CO2 at near-atmospheric concentrations through the olfactory subsystem of GC-D+ neurons. ..
- Oztokatli H, Hörnberg M, Berghard A, Bohm S. Retinoic acid receptor and CNGA2 channel signaling are part of a regulatory feedback loop controlling axonal convergence and survival of olfactory sensory neurons. FASEB J. 2012;26:617-27 pubmed publisher..Combined, these results identify a novel homeostatic feedback mechanism involving retinoic acid metabolism and CNG channel activity, which influences glomerular homogeneity and maintenance of precisely connected OSNs...
- Santoro S, Dulac C. The activity-dependent histone variant H2BE modulates the life span of olfactory neurons. elife. 2012;1:e00070 pubmed publisher..We propose a physiological function for H2be in modulating olfactory neuron population dynamics to adapt the OR repertoire to the environment.DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00070.001. ..
- Yang T, Yang C, Chizari M, Maheswaranathan N, Burke K, Borius M, et al. Social Control of Hypothalamus-Mediated Male Aggression. Neuron. 2017;95:955-970.e4 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies suggest that fundamentally non-linear computations enable social context to exert a dominant influence on developmentally hard-wired hypothalamus-mediated male territorial aggression. ..
- Kelliher K, Ziesmann J, Munger S, Reed R, Zufall F. Importance of the CNGA4 channel gene for odor discrimination and adaptation in behaving mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4299-304 pubmed..The native olfactory CNG channel consists of three distinct subunits: CNGA2, CNGA4, and CNGB1b...
- Constantin S, Wray S. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone-1 neuronal activity is independent of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels. Endocrinology. 2008;149:279-90 pubmed..This study reports the expression of the CNGA2 subunit in GnRH-1 neurons obtained from mouse nasal explants and shows the ability of GnRH-1 neurons to increase ..
- Eckler M, McKenna W, Taghvaei S, McConnell S, Chen B. Fezf1 and Fezf2 are required for olfactory development and sensory neuron identity. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1829-46 pubmed publisher..In Fezf2-deficient mice, VNO neurons degenerate prior to birth. These results identify Fezf1 and Fezf2 as important regulators of olfactory system development and sensory neuron identity. ..
- Bennett M, Kulaga H, Reed R. Odor-evoked gene regulation and visualization in olfactory receptor neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2010;43:353-62 pubmed publisher..In stable odorant environments, activity-regulated proteins provide a characteristic signature that is correlated with the olfactory receptor they express. ..
- Bader A, Bautze V, Haid D, Breer H, Strotmann J. Gene switching and odor induced activity shape expression of the OR37 family of olfactory receptor genes. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;32:1813-24 pubmed publisher..Together, the results indicate that OSNs inside the patch initially sample several OR genes for expression; for their correct patterning in the OE, odor-induced activity appears to play a critical role. ..
- Fraser E, Shah N. Complex chemosensory control of female reproductive behaviors. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e90368 pubmed publisher..Mice null for Cnga2 or Trpc2 essentially lack odor-evoked activity in the MOE and VNO, respectively...
- Chen Y, Liu X, Jia X, Zong W, Ma Y, Xu F, et al. Anxiety- and depressive-like behaviors in olfactory deficient Cnga2 knockout mice. Behav Brain Res. 2014;275:219-24 pubmed publisher..Here, mice take the cyclic nucleotide gated channel 2 mutant gene (Cnga2), which is critical for olfactory sensory neurons to generate odor induced action potentials were used...
- Feinstein P, Mombaerts P. A contextual model for axonal sorting into glomeruli in the mouse olfactory system. Cell. 2004;117:817-31 pubmed..We propose a contextual model for axon guidance in which ORs mediate homotypic interactions between like axons. ..
- Shen B, Cheng K, Leung Y, Kwok Y, Kwan H, Wong C, et al. Epinephrine-induced Ca2+ influx in vascular endothelial cells is mediated by CNGA2 channels. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:437-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this cation current was greatly reduced by a CNGA2-specific siRNA in H5V cells...
- Marks C, Cheng K, Cummings D, Belluscio L. Activity-dependent plasticity in the olfactory intrabulbar map. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11257-66 pubmed..Interestingly, activity deprivation can alter the organization of both the developing and the mature map to the same degree, demonstrating that intrabulbar map plasticity is maintained into adulthood with no discernible critical period. ..
- Cisneros Mejorado A, Sánchez Herrera D. cGMP and cyclic nucleotide-gated channels participate in mouse sperm capacitation. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:149-53 pubmed publisher..Using a specific inhibitor we determine the contribution of CNG channels to macroscopic current and capacitation. ..
- Petreanu L, Alvarez Buylla A. Maturation and death of adult-born olfactory bulb granule neurons: role of olfaction. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6106-13 pubmed..This selection mechanism might allow the construction of specific OB circuits based on olfactory experience and suggests possible functions of OB cell replacement. ..
- Oshimoto A, Wakabayashi Y, Garske A, Lopez R, Rolen S, Flowers M, et al. Potential role of transient receptor potential channel M5 in sensing putative pheromones in mouse olfactory sensory neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61990 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that cyclic nucleotide gated channel A2 knockout (CNGA2-KO) mice that show substantially decreased or absent responses to odors and pheromones also have elevated levels ..
- Xie A, Liu E, Huang H, Hu Y, Li K, Lu Y, et al. Cnga2 Knockout Mice Display Alzheimer's-Like Behavior Abnormities and Pathological Changes. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:4992-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we employed the mice loss of cyclic nucleotide-gated channel alpha 2 (Cnga2) which is critical for olfactory sensory transduction, to investigate the role of olfactory dysfunction in AD ..
- Bleymehl K, Pérez Gómez A, Omura M, Moreno Pérez A, Macías D, Bai Z, et al. A Sensor for Low Environmental Oxygen in the Mouse Main Olfactory Epithelium. Neuron. 2016;92:1196-1203 pubmed publisher..Low environmental oxygen also induces conditioned place aversion, for which Gucy1b2 and Trpc2 are required. We propose that this chemosensory function enables a mouse to rapidly assess the oxygen level in the external environment. ..
- Maurya D, Bohm S, Alenius M. Hedgehog signaling regulates ciliary localization of mouse odorant receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E9386-E9394 pubmed publisher..These findings both define a physiological function of Hedgehog signaling in olfaction and provide an important evolutionary link between olfaction and the requirement of a ciliary compartment for Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Kwan H, Cheng K, Ma Y, Huang Y, Tang N, Yu S, et al. CNGA2 contributes to ATP-induced noncapacitative Ca2+ influx in vascular endothelial cells. J Vasc Res. 2010;47:148-56 pubmed publisher..Two selective inhibitors of CNG channels, L-cis-diltiazem and LY-83583, and CNGA2-specific siRNA were used to study the involvement of CNGA2 in ATP-induced non-CCE in endothelial cells...
- Layman W, McEwen D, Beyer L, Lalani S, Fernbach S, Oh E, et al. Defects in neural stem cell proliferation and olfaction in Chd7 deficient mice indicate a mechanism for hyposmia in human CHARGE syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:1909-23 pubmed publisher..These studies provide evidence that mammalian olfactory dysfunction due to Chd7 haploinsufficiency is linked to primary defects in olfactory neural stem cell proliferation and may influence olfactory bulb development. ..
- Ruiz M, London B, Nadal Ginard B. Cloning and characterization of an olfactory cyclic nucleotide-gated channel expressed in mouse heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1996;28:1453-61 pubmed..Part of this work was presented in abstract form. ..
- McClintock T, Adipietro K, Titlow W, Breheny P, Walz A, Mombaerts P, et al. In vivo identification of eugenol-responsive and muscone-responsive mouse odorant receptors. J Neurosci. 2014;34:15669-78 pubmed publisher..This novel assay, called the Kentucky in vivo odorant ligand-receptor assay, should facilitate the in vivo identification of mouse ORs for a given odorant ligand of interest. ..
- Kaneko Goto T, Yoshihara S, Miyazaki H, Yoshihara Y. BIG-2 mediates olfactory axon convergence to target glomeruli. Neuron. 2008;57:834-46 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BIG-2 is one of the axon guidance molecules crucial for the formation and maintenance of functional odor map in the olfactory bulb. ..
- Glinka M, Samuels B, Diodato A, Teillon J, Feng Mei D, Shykind B, et al. Olfactory deficits cause anxiety-like behaviors in mice. J Neurosci. 2012;32:6718-25 pubmed publisher..In these mice, plasma corticosterone levels are elevated, suggesting that olfactory deficits can lead to chronic stress. These results demonstrate a central role for olfactory sensory cues in modulating anxiety in mice. ..
- Cheng K, Leung Y, Shen B, Kwok Y, Wong C, Kwan H, et al. CNGA2 channels mediate adenosine-induced Ca2+ influx in vascular endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:913-8 pubmed publisher..A CNGA2-specific siRNA markedly decreased the Ca(2+) influx and the cation current in H5V cells...
- Grosmaitre X, Santarelli L, Tan J, Luo M, Ma M. Dual functions of mammalian olfactory sensory neurons as odor detectors and mechanical sensors. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:348-54 pubmed..Blocking adenylyl cyclase or knocking out the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel CNGA2 eliminates the odorant and the mechanical responses, suggesting that both are mediated by a shared cAMP cascade...
- Parent A, Schrader K, Munger S, Reed R, Linden D, Ronnett G. Synaptic transmission and hippocampal long-term potentiation in olfactory cyclic nucleotide-gated channel type 1 null mouse. J Neurophysiol. 1998;79:3295-301 pubmed..Several measures of basal synaptic transmission were unaltered in the OCNC1 knockout (KO), including maximum field excitatory postsynaptic potential (fEPSP) slope, maximum fEPSP and fiber ..