Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Chrna6
Description: cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 6
Alias: Acra6, Nica6, neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-6, acetylcholine receptor alpha 6 neural, alpha6 nAChR, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha 6
- Liu L, Zhao Shea R, McIntosh J, Tapper A. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors containing the ?6 subunit contribute to ethanol activation of ventral tegmental area dopaminergic neurons. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;86:1194-200 pubmed publisher..In contrast, ethanol did not significantly increase activity of VTA DAergic neurons in mice that do not express CHRNA6, the gene encoding the ?6 nAChR subunit (?6 knock-out (KO) mice)...
- Dash B, Bhakta M, Chang Y, Lukas R. Identification of N-terminal extracellular domain determinants in nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) ?6 subunits that influence effects of wild-type or mutant ?3 subunits on function of ?6?2*- or ?6?4*-nAChR. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37976-89 pubmed publisher..These studies illuminate the structural bases for effects of ?3 subunits on ?6*-nAChR function and suggest that unique subunit interfaces involving the complementary rather than the primary face of ?6 subunits are involved. ..
- Lee A, Messing R. Protein kinase C epsilon modulates nicotine consumption and dopamine reward signals in the nucleus accumbens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16080-5 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that PKC? regulates reward signaling through ?(6)-containing nicotinic receptors and suggest that PKC? could be a target for the treatment of comorbid nicotine and alcohol addictions. ..
- Dash B, Lukas R. Modulation of gain-of-function ?6*-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor by ?3 subunits. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:14259-69 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings suggest that ?3 subunit coexpression promotes function of ?6*-nAChR. ..
- Drenan R, Grady S, Steele A, McKinney S, Patzlaff N, McIntosh J, et al. Cholinergic modulation of locomotion and striatal dopamine release is mediated by alpha6alpha4* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9877-89 pubmed publisher..These results implicate alpha6alpha4beta2* nAChRs in cholinergic control of DA transmission, and strongly suggest that these receptors are candidate drug targets for disorders involving the DA system...
- Kuo Y, Lucero L, Michaels J, Deluca D, Lukas R. Differential expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits in fetal and neonatal mouse thymus. J Neuroimmunol. 2002;130:140-54 pubmed..These studies suggest important roles for nAChR in immune system development and function and in the neuroimmune network. ..
- Soll L, Grady S, Salminen O, Marks M, Tapper A. A role for ?4(non-?6)* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in motor behavior. Neuropharmacology. 2013;73:19-30 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that ?4(non-?6)* nAChR have an impact on motor output and may be potential molecular targets for treatment of disorders associated with motor impairment. ..
- Bordia T, McGregor M, McIntosh J, Drenan R, Quik M. Evidence for a role for Î±6(âˆ—) nAChRs in l-dopa-induced dyskinesias using Parkinsonian Î±6(âˆ—) nAChR gain-of-function mice. Neuroscience. 2015;295:187-97 pubmed publisher..The present data show that Î±6Î²2(âˆ—) nAChRs are key regulators of LIDs, and may be useful therapeutic targets for their management in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Wieskopf J, Mathur J, Limapichat W, Post M, Al Qazzaz M, Sorge R, et al. The nicotinic ?6 subunit gene determines variability in chronic pain sensitivity via cross-inhibition of P2X2/3 receptors. Sci Transl Med. 2015;7:287ra72 pubmed publisher..We identified expression levels of Chrna6, which encodes the ?6 subunit of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR), as highly associated with allodynia...
- Kamens H, Hoft N, Cox R, Miyamoto J, Ehringer M. The ?6 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit influences ethanol-induced sedation. Alcohol. 2012;46:463-71 pubmed publisher..The mammalian genes that code for the ?6 and ?3 subunits of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (Chrna6 and Chrnb3, respectively) are located adjacent to each other on human and mouse chromosome 8...
- Cohen B, Mackey E, Grady S, McKinney S, Patzlaff N, Wageman C, et al. Nicotinic cholinergic mechanisms causing elevated dopamine release and abnormal locomotor behavior. Neuroscience. 2012;200:31-41 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the precise control that the nicotinic cholinergic system exerts on DA transmission and provides further insights into the mechanisms and consequences of enhanced DA release. ..
- Berry J, Engle S, McIntosh J, Drenan R. Î±6-Containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in midbrain dopamine neurons are poised to govern dopamine-mediated behaviors and synaptic plasticity. Neuroscience. 2015;304:161-75 pubmed publisher..Together, these results from in vivo studies strongly suggest that Î±6(âˆ—) nAChRs expressed by VTA DA neurons are positioned to strongly influence both DA-mediated behaviors and the induction of synaptic plasticity by nicotine. ..
- Nuutinen S, Panula P, Salminen O. Different Hypothalamic Nicotinic Î±7 Receptor Expression and Response to Low Nicotine Dose in Alcohol-Preferring and Alcohol-Avoiding Rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016;40:329-34 pubmed publisher..Stronger nicotine-induced locomotor response, mediated partially via Î±7 receptors, and previously described high alcohol consumption in AA rats could be explained by the found difference in tuberomamillary Î±7 receptor levels. ..
- Drescher D, Khan K, Green G, Morley B, Beisel K, Kaul H, et al. Analysis of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits in the cochlea of the mouse. Comp Biochem Physiol C Pharmacol Toxicol Endocrinol. 1995;112:267-73 pubmed..The presence of messages corresponding to the muscle-type beta 1 and neuronal-type nAChR subunits may be correlated with the atypical cholinergic response of cochlear hair cells to agonists and antagonists. ..
- Chakrabarty K, von Oerthel L, Hellemons A, Clotman F, Espana A, Groot Koerkamp M, et al. Genome wide expression profiling of the mesodiencephalic region identifies novel factors involved in early and late dopaminergic development. Biol Open. 2012;1:693-704 pubmed publisher..to the identification of novel regulatory roles of neuronal signaling through nicotinic acthylcholine receptors (Chrna6 and Chrnb3 subunits) and the identification of novel transcription factors (Oc2 and 3) involved in the generation ..
- Munguba G, Geisert E, Williams R, Tapia M, Lam D, Bhattacharya S, et al. Effects of glaucoma on Chrna6 expression in the retina. Curr Eye Res. 2013;38:150-7 pubmed publisher..The present experiments were carried out to determine if acetylcholine receptor ? 6 subunit (Chrna6) is a reliable retinal ganglion cell (RGC) marker in adult mouse eyes and if Chrna6 expression can be used to ..
- Purohit P, Bruhova I, Auerbach A. Sources of energy for gating by neurotransmitters in acetylcholine receptor channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:9384-9 pubmed publisher..Mutations of TyrC1 cause particularly large energy reductions because they remove two favorable and approximately equal interactions between the aromatic ring and the quaternary amine of the agonist and between the hydroxyl and ?Lys?7. ..