Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CGI 58
Description: abhydrolase domain containing 5
Alias: 1300003D03Rik, 2010002J10Rik, CDS, CGI-58, IECN5, NCIE2, 1-acylglycerol-3-phosphate O-acyltransferase ABHD5, abhydrolase domain-containing protein 5, lipid droplet-binding protein CGI-58
- CGI-58 knockdown in mice causes hepatic steatosis but prevents diet-induced obesity and glucose intoleranceJ Mark Brown
Departments of Pathology Section on Lipid Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Lipid Res 51:3306-15. 2010....
- CGI-58/ABHD5 is a coenzyme A-dependent lysophosphatidic acid acyltransferaseGabriela Montero-Moran
Rutgers Center for Lipid Research, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Lipid Res 51:709-19. 2010Mutations in human CGI-58/ABHD5 cause Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome (CDS), characterized by excessive storage of triacylglycerol in tissues. CGI-58 is an alpha/beta-hydrolase fold enzyme expressed in all vertebrates...
- Growth retardation, impaired triacylglycerol catabolism, hepatic steatosis, and lethal skin barrier defect in mice lacking comparative gene identification-58 (CGI-58)Franz P W Radner
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Heinrichstrasse 31, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 285:7300-11. 2010..This mechanism may also underlie the pathogenesis of ichthyosis in neutral lipid storage disease patients lacking functional CGI-58...
- Functional interactions between Mldp (LSDP5) and Abhd5 in the control of intracellular lipid accumulationJames G Granneman
Center for Integrative Metabolic and Endocrine Research, the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 284:3049-57. 2009..These results indicate that the interaction between Abhd5 and Mldp is dynamic and essential for regulating the activity of Atgl at lipid droplets containing Mldp...
- Adipose triglyceride lipase and hormone-sensitive lipase are the major enzymes in adipose tissue triacylglycerol catabolismMartina Schweiger
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 281:40236-41. 2006..Together, ATGL and HSL are responsible for more than 95% of the TG hydrolase activity present in murine WAT. Additional known or unknown lipases appear to play only a quantitatively minor role in fat cell lipolysis...
- The N-terminal region of comparative gene identification-58 (CGI-58) is important for lipid droplet binding and activation of adipose triglyceride lipaseAstrid Gruber
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Humboldtstrasse, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 285:12289-98. 2010..In summary, our study shows that the N-terminal, Trp-rich region of CGI-58 is essential for correct localization and ATGL-activating function of CGI-58...
- CGI-58 interacts with perilipin and is localized to lipid droplets. Possible involvement of CGI-58 mislocalization in Chanarin-Dorfman syndromeTomohiro Yamaguchi
Graduate School of Life Science, Himeji Institute of Technology, University of Hyogo, 3 2 1 Koto, Kamigori, Hyogo 678 1297, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:30490-7. 2004..between perilipin and CGI-58, a deficiency of which correlated with the pathogenesis of Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome (CDS)...
- Adipose triglyceride lipase-mediated lipolysis of cellular fat stores is activated by CGI-58 and defective in Chanarin-Dorfman SyndromeAchim Lass
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Heinrichstrasse 31, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Cell Metab 3:309-19. 2006..Mutations in the human CGI-58 gene are associated with Chanarin-Dorfman Syndrome (CDS), a rare genetic disease where TG accumulates excessively in multiple tissues...
- Perilipin A mediates the reversible binding of CGI-58 to lipid droplets in 3T3-L1 adipocytesVidya Subramanian
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
J Biol Chem 279:42062-71. 2004..Thus, CGI-58 binds to perilipin A-coated lipid droplets in a manner that is dependent upon the metabolic status of the adipocyte and the activity of cAMP-dependent protein kinase...
- CGI-58, the causative gene for Chanarin-Dorfman syndrome, mediates acylation of lysophosphatidic acidAnanda K Ghosh
Department of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 562, India
J Biol Chem 283:24525-33. 2008..These observations suggest the existence of an alternate cytosolic phosphatidic acid biosynthetic pathway in the white adipose tissue. Collectively, these results reveal the role of cgi-58 as an acyltransferase...
- Adipose-selective overexpression of ABHD5/CGI-58 does not increase lipolysis or protect against diet-induced obesityJorge M Caviglia
Rutgers Center for Lipid Research and Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Lipid Res 52:2032-42. 2011..The expression of ABHD5 in mouse adipose tissue is not limiting for either basal or stimulated lipolysis...
- CGI-58/ABHD5-derived signaling lipids regulate systemic inflammation and insulin actionCaleb C Lord
Department of Pathology, Section on Lipid Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Diabetes 61:355-63. 2012..Collectively, these findings establish that CGI-58 provides a novel source of signaling lipids. These findings contribute insight into the basic mechanisms linking TH1 cytokine signaling to nutrient metabolism...
- Functional cardiac lipolysis in mice critically depends on comparative gene identification-58Kathrin A Zierler
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 288:9892-904. 2013..In summary, this study demonstrates that functional muscle lipolysis depends on both CGI-58 and ATGL...
- Regulation of skeletal muscle lipolysis and oxidative metabolism by the co-lipase CGI-58Pierre Marie Badin
Inserm 1048, Obesity Research Laboratory, Institute of Metabolic and Cardiovascular Diseases, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
J Lipid Res 53:839-48. 2012....
- CGI-58 knockdown sequesters diacylglycerols in lipid droplets/ER-preventing diacylglycerol-mediated hepatic insulin resistanceJennifer L Cantley
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:1869-74. 2013....
- Perilipin controls lipolysis by regulating the interactions of AB-hydrolase containing 5 (Abhd5) and adipose triglyceride lipase (Atgl)James G Granneman
Center for Integrative Metabolic and Endocrine Research, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 284:34538-44. 2009..Imaging experiments demonstrated that the Plin-dependent interaction of Abhd5 and Atgl occurs mainly, but not exclusively, on lipid droplets that contain Plin...
- The minimal domain of adipose triglyceride lipase (ATGL) ranges until leucine 254 and can be activated and inhibited by CGI-58 and G0S2, respectivelyIrina Cornaciu
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 6:e26349. 2011....
- Human frame shift mutations affecting the carboxyl terminus of perilipin increase lipolysis by failing to sequester the adipose triglyceride lipase (ATGL) coactivator AB-hydrolase-containing 5 (ABHD5)Sheetal Gandotra
Institute of Metabolic Science Metabolic Research Laboratories and the Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:34998-5006. 2011..The data also suggest that pharmacological inhibition of ATGL could have therapeutic potential in patients with this rare but metabolically serious disorder...
- Identification of a novel splicing isoform of murine CGI-58Xingyuan Yang
Department of Pediatrics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0509, USA
FEBS Lett 584:903-10. 2010..Overexpression of mCGI-58S failed to promote lipid droplet turnover and loss of intracellular triacylglycerols. These results suggest that this splicing event may be involved in the regulation of lipid homeostasis...
- CGI-58 facilitates lipolysis on lipid droplets but is not involved in the vesiculation of lipid droplets caused by hormonal stimulationTomohiro Yamaguchi
Graduate School of Life Science, University of Hyogo, 3 2 1, Koto, Kamigori, Hyogo 678 1297, Japan
J Lipid Res 48:1078-89. 2007..CGI-58 is not required for this process. Thus, CGI-58 facilitates lipolysis in cooperation with perilipin and other factors, including lipases...
- CGI-58 is an alpha/beta-hydrolase within lipid transporting lamellar granules of differentiated keratinocytesMasashi Akiyama
Department of Dermatology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Am J Pathol 173:1349-60. 2008..Our results indicate that CGI-58 is expressed and packaged into LGs during keratinization and likely plays crucial role(s) in keratinocyte differentiation and LG lipid metabolism, contributing to skin lipid barrier formation...
- Analysis of Therapeutic Adipose Tissue RemodelingJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..2) To examine adipose tissue cellular dynamics during therapeutic remodeling induced by agonist activation of beta3-adrenergic receptors and PPAR-gamma. ..
- Analysis of cellular plasticity in white adipose tissueJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..2) To determine the origin and fate of multilocular white adipocytes. 3) To examine mechanisms by which Adrb3 activation induces mitochondrial biogenesis in white adipocytes in vivo. ..
- Analysis of lipolytic trafficking in adipocytesJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HTS for Novel Activators of Adipocyte and Myocyte LipolysisJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long term goal is to identify lead compounds that will reduce lipid accumulation specifically in fat and muscle and thus would be potential novel treatments of obesity-related disorders including diabetes and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Analysis of lipolytic trafficking in adipocytesJames G Granneman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Analysis of cellular plasticity in white adipose tissueJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..2) To examine the function of novel multilocular white adipocytes in vivo and in vitro. 3) To test the involvement of PPAR-alpha and TLR4 in mediating adipocyte plasticity in vivo. ..
- BETA 1 AND BETA 3 ADRENORECEPTORSJAMES GRANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Aim 2. To further characterize the differential signaling properties of beta1- beta3-AR and to examine the cellular and molecular basis. Specific Aim 3. To examine the molecular pharmacology of beta3-AR-selective agonists. ..
- Analysis of cellular plasticity in white adipose tissueJames G Granneman; Fiscal Year: 2010..2) To determine the origin and fate of multilocular white adipocytes. 3) To examine mechanisms by which Adrb3 activation induces mitochondrial biogenesis in white adipocytes in vivo. ..