Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cfl1
Description: cofilin 1, non-muscle
Alias: AA959946, Cof, cofilin-1, cofilin, non-muscle isoform, n-cofilin
- Ma M, Zhou L, Guo X, Lv Z, Yu Y, Ding C, et al. Decreased cofilin1 expression is important for compaction during early mouse embryo development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:1804-10 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cofilin1 plays an important role in cortical cytoplasmic organization during embryo compaction. ..
- Quintela Fandino M, Arpaia E, Brenner D, Goh T, Yeung F, Blaser H, et al. HUNK suppresses metastasis of basal type breast cancers by disrupting the interaction between PP2A and cofilin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2622-7 pubmed publisher..Our investigation of HUNK suggests that the interaction between PP2A and CFL-1 may be a target for antimetastasis therapy, particularly for basal breast cancers. ..
- Rust M, Gurniak C, Renner M, Vara H, Morando L, Görlich A, et al. Learning, AMPA receptor mobility and synaptic plasticity depend on n-cofilin-mediated actin dynamics. EMBO J. 2010;29:1889-902 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a critical function of actin dynamics in associative learning and postsynaptic receptor availability. ..
- Garg P, Verma R, Cook L, Soofi A, Venkatareddy M, George B, et al. Actin-depolymerizing factor cofilin-1 is necessary in maintaining mature podocyte architecture. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:22676-88 pubmed publisher..To investigate the necessity of cofilin-1 in the glomerulus, podocyte-specific Cfl1 null mice were generated. Cfl1 null podocytes developed normally...
- Hotulainen P, Paunola E, Vartiainen M, Lappalainen P. Actin-depolymerizing factor and cofilin-1 play overlapping roles in promoting rapid F-actin depolymerization in mammalian nonmuscle cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:649-64 pubmed..These data suggest that mammalian ADF and cofilin-1 promote cytoskeletal dynamics by depolymerizing actin filaments and that this activity is critical for several processes such as cytokinesis and cell motility. ..
- Vartiainen M, Mustonen T, Mattila P, Ojala P, Thesleff I, Partanen J, et al. The three mouse actin-depolymerizing factor/cofilins evolved to fulfill cell-type-specific requirements for actin dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:183-94 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the three biochemically distinct mammalian ADF/cofilin isoforms evolved to fulfill specific requirements for actin filament dynamics in different cell types. ..
- Niwa R, Nagata Ohashi K, Takeichi M, Mizuno K, Uemura T. Control of actin reorganization by Slingshot, a family of phosphatases that dephosphorylate ADF/cofilin. Cell. 2002;108:233-46 pubmed..Furthermore, SSH and the hSSHs dephosphorylated P cofilin in cultured cells and in cell-free assays. Our results strongly suggest that the SSH family plays a pivotal role in actin dynamics by reactivating ADF/cofilin in vivo...
- Gurniak C, Perlas E, Witke W. The actin depolymerizing factor n-cofilin is essential for neural tube morphogenesis and neural crest cell migration. Dev Biol. 2005;278:231-41 pubmed..Our data suggest that in mammalian development, regulation of the actin cytoskeleton by the F-actin depolymerizing factor n-cofilin is critical for epithelial-mesenchymal type of cell shape changes as well as cell proliferation. ..
- Mahaffey J, Grego Bessa J, Liem K, Anderson K. Cofilin and Vangl2 cooperate in the initiation of planar cell polarity in the mouse embryo. Development. 2013;140:1262-71 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that cofilin 1 (Cfl1), an actin-severing protein, and Vangl2, a core PCP protein, cooperate to control PCP in the early mouse ..
- Yeoh S, Pope B, Mannherz H, Weeds A. Determining the differences in actin binding by human ADF and cofilin. J Mol Biol. 2002;315:911-25 pubmed..Sequence analysis of mammalian and avian isoforms shows a consistent pattern of charge differences in regions of the protein associated with F-actin-binding that may account for the differences in activity between ADF and cofilin. ..
- Adachi R, Takeuchi K, Suzuki K. Antisense oligonucleotide to cofilin enhances respiratory burst and phagocytosis in opsonized zymosan-stimulated mouse macrophage J774.1 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45566-71 pubmed..Furthermore, phagocytosis of OZ was enhanced by the antisense. These results show that cofilin plays an essential role in the control of phagocyte function through regulation of actin filament dynamics. ..
- Breitsprecher D, Koestler S, Chizhov I, Nemethova M, Mueller J, Goode B, et al. Cofilin cooperates with fascin to disassemble filopodial actin filaments. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3305-18 pubmed publisher..These results identify a new mechanism of filopodium disassembly involving both fascin and cofilin. ..
- Bellenchi G, Gurniak C, Perlas E, Middei S, Ammassari Teule M, Witke W. N-cofilin is associated with neuronal migration disorders and cell cycle control in the cerebral cortex. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2347-57 pubmed..These results demonstrate that mutations affecting regulators of the actin cytoskeleton contribute to the pathology of cortex development. ..
- Pavlov D, Muhlrad A, Cooper J, Wear M, Reisler E. Actin filament severing by cofilin. J Mol Biol. 2007;365:1350-8 pubmed..These conclusions have particular relevance to cofilin function during actin-based motility in cells and in synthetic systems. ..
- Gurniak C, Chevessier F, Jokwitz M, Jönsson F, Perlas E, Richter H, et al. Severe protein aggregate myopathy in a knockout mouse model points to an essential role of cofilin2 in sarcomeric actin exchange and muscle maintenance. Eur J Cell Biol. 2014;93:252-66 pubmed publisher..Levels of smooth muscle ?-actin were increased and remained high in developing muscles, suggesting that cofilin2 plays a crucial role during the exchange of ?-actin isoforms during the early postnatal remodeling of the sarcomere. ..
- Li J, Brieher W, Scimone M, Kang S, Zhu H, Yin H, et al. Caspase-11 regulates cell migration by promoting Aip1-Cofilin-mediated actin depolymerization. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:276-86 pubmed..These data demonstrate a novel cell autonomous caspase-mediated mechanism that regulates actin dynamics and mammalian cell migration distinct from the receptor mediated Rho-Rac-Cdc42 pathway. ..
- Larabee S, Coia H, Jones S, Cheung E, Gallicano G. miRNA-17 members that target Bmpr2 influence signaling mechanisms important for embryonic stem cell differentiation in vitro and gastrulation in embryos. Stem Cells Dev. 2015;24:354-71 pubmed publisher..This suppression influences fate decisions of cells by affecting genes downstream of BMPR2 as well as mesoderm invasion through regulation of actin dynamics. ..
- Takemura M, Mishima T, Wang Y, Kasahara J, Fukunaga K, Ohashi K, et al. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV-mediated LIM kinase activation is critical for calcium signal-induced neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28554-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that LIMK1-mediated cofilin phosphorylation is critical for ionomycin-induced neurite outgrowth and that CaMKIV mediates ionomycin-induced LIMK1 activation. ..
- Fernandes M, Poirier C, Lespinasse F, Carle G. The mouse homologs of human GIF, DDB1, and CFL1 genes are located on chromosome 19. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:339 pubmed
- Caution K, Gavrilin M, Tazi M, Kanneganti A, Layman D, Hoque S, et al. Caspase-11 and caspase-1 differentially modulate actin polymerization via RhoA and Slingshot proteins to promote bacterial clearance. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18479 pubmed publisher..Therefore, caspase-11 and caspase-1 converge on the actin machinery with opposing effects to promote vesicular trafficking. ..
- Zalli D, Neff L, Nagano K, Shin N, Witke W, Gori F, et al. The Actin-Binding Protein Cofilin and Its Interaction With Cortactin Are Required for Podosome Patterning in Osteoclasts and Bone Resorption In Vivo and In Vitro. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:1701-12 pubmed publisher..This interaction is critical for the functional organization of OCs and for bone resorption. © 2016 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. ..
- Saarikangas J, Mattila P, Varjosalo M, Bovellan M, Hakanen J, Calzada Wack J, et al. Missing-in-metastasis MIM/MTSS1 promotes actin assembly at intercellular junctions and is required for integrity of kidney epithelia. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1245-55 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate that MIM modulates interplay between the actin cytoskeleton and plasma membrane to promote the maintenance of intercellular contacts in kidney epithelia...
- Wang D, Naydenov N, Feygin A, Baranwal S, Kuemmerle J, Ivanov A. Actin-Depolymerizing Factor and Cofilin-1 Have Unique and Overlapping Functions in Regulating Intestinal Epithelial Junctions and Mucosal Inflammation. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:844-58 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate novel roles for ADF and cofilin-1 in regulating the remodeling and permeability of epithelial junctions, as well as the role of ADF in limiting the severity of intestinal inflammation. ..
- Pontrello C, Sun M, Lin A, Fiacco T, DeFea K, Ethell I. Cofilin under control of ?-arrestin-2 in NMDA-dependent dendritic spine plasticity, long-term depression (LTD), and learning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E442-51 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate unique functions of ?-arrestin-2 in NMDAR-mediated dendritic spine and synapse plasticity through spatial control over cofilin activation. ..
- Luxenburg C, Heller E, Pasolli H, Chai S, Nikolova M, Stokes N, et al. Wdr1-mediated cell shape dynamics and cortical tension are essential for epidermal planar cell polarity. Nat Cell Biol. 2015;17:592-604 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest intriguing evolutionary parallels but mechanistic modifications to the distal wing hinge-mediated mechanical forces that drive cell shape change and orient PCP in the Drosophila wing disc. ..
- Escuin S, Vernay B, Savery D, Gurniak C, Witke W, Greene N, et al. Rho-kinase-dependent actin turnover and actomyosin disassembly are necessary for mouse spinal neural tube closure. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2468-81 pubmed publisher..In contrast, actomyosin assembly and myosin ATPase activity are not limiting for closure. ..
- Havekes R, Park A, Tudor J, Luczak V, Hansen R, Ferri S, et al. Sleep deprivation causes memory deficits by negatively impacting neuronal connectivity in hippocampal area CA1. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our work demonstrates the necessity of an intact cAMP-PDE4-PKA-LIMK-cofilin activation-signaling pathway for sleep deprivation-induced memory disruption and reduction in hippocampal spine density. ..
- Rosario M, Schuster S, Jüttner R, Parthasarathy S, Tarabykin V, Birchmeier W. Neocortical dendritic complexity is controlled during development by NOMA-GAP-dependent inhibition of Cdc42 and activation of cofilin. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1743-57 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a novel cell-intrinsic mechanism to regulate dendritic branching and thus neuronal complexity in the cerebral cortex. ..
- Ono S, Minami N, Abe H, Obinata T. Characterization of a novel cofilin isoform that is predominantly expressed in mammalian skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:15280-6 pubmed..The presence of the muscle type isoform of cofilin strongly suggests that cofilin is deeply involved in the regulation of actin function not only in non-muscle cells but also in muscle cells. ..
- Gogstad G, Hagen I, Korsmo R, Solum N. Characterization of the proteins of isolated human platelet alpha-granules. Evidence for a separate alpha-granule-pool of the glycoproteins IIb and IIIa. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981;670:150-62 pubmed..The dominant three represented the main granule glycoprotein, glycoprotein IIb and glycoprotein IIIa, respectively. More glycoproteins seem to be present in the alpha-granules than was previously recognized. ..
- Bailey C, Johnson G. Tissue transglutaminase contributes to disease progression in the R6/2 Huntington's disease mouse model via aggregate-independent mechanisms. J Neurochem. 2005;92:83-92 pubmed..Moreover, the combined results from this study suggest that the formation of striatal huntingtin aggregates does not directly influence motor dysfunction or death in this HD mouse model. ..
- Mohri K, Takano Ohmuro H, Nakashima H, Hayakawa K, Endo T, Hanaoka K, et al. Expression of cofilin isoforms during development of mouse striated muscles. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2000;21:49-57 pubmed..Only M-CF could be involved in actin dynamics in mature skeletal muscle, while both isoforms could be in the mature heart. ..
- Roybal K, Buck T, Ruan X, Cho B, Clark D, Ambler R, et al. Computational spatiotemporal analysis identifies WAVE2 and cofilin as joint regulators of costimulation-mediated T cell actin dynamics. Sci Signal. 2016;9:rs3 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have developed and validated an approach to quantify protein distributions in time and space for the analysis of complex regulatory systems. ..
- Collazo J, Zhu B, Larkin S, Martin S, Pu H, Horbinski C, et al. Cofilin drives cell-invasive and metastatic responses to TGF-? in prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2014;74:2362-73 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that the actin-severing protein CFL coordinates responses to TGF-? that are needed for invasive cancer migration and metastasis. ..
- Xiang X, Li S, Zhuang X, Shi L. Arhgef1 negatively regulates neurite outgrowth through activation of RhoA signaling pathways. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:2940-55 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings reveal that Arhgef1 functions as a negative regulator of neurite outgrowth through regulating RhoA-cofilin pathway and actin dynamics. ..
- Yang W, Thein S, Wang X, Bi X, Ericksen R, Xu F, et al. BSCL2/seipin regulates adipogenesis through actin cytoskeleton remodelling. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:502-13 pubmed publisher..Finally, 3T3-L1 cells expressing a severing-resistant actin mutant exhibited impaired adipogenesis. We propose that seipin regulates adipogenesis by recruiting cofilin-1 to remodel actin cytoskeleton through the 14-3-3? protein. ..
- Offenhauser N, Castelletti D, Mapelli L, Soppo B, Regondi M, Rossi P, et al. Increased ethanol resistance and consumption in Eps8 knockout mice correlates with altered actin dynamics. Cell. 2006;127:213-26 pubmed..In addition, Eps8 null neurons are resistant to the actin-remodeling activities of NMDA and ethanol. We propose that proper regulation of the actin cytoskeleton is a key determinant of cellular and behavioral responses to ethanol. ..
- Beck H, Flynn K, Lindenberg K, Schwarz H, Bradke F, Di Giovanni S, et al. Serum Response Factor (SRF)-cofilin-actin signaling axis modulates mitochondrial dynamics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2523-32 pubmed..In summary, our data suggest that the SRF-cofilin-actin signaling axis modulates neuronal mitochondrial function. ..
- Veith C, Schmitt S, Veit F, Dahal B, Wilhelm J, Klepetko W, et al. Cofilin, a hypoxia-regulated protein in murine lungs identified by 2DE: role of the cytoskeletal protein cofilin in pulmonary hypertension. Proteomics. 2013;13:75-88 pubmed publisher..These very early changes allowed us to identify potential triggers of PH. Thus, respective 2DE analysis can lead to the identification of new target proteins for the possible treatment of PH. ..
- Yamauchi K, Varadarajan S, Li J, Butler S. Type Ib BMP receptors mediate the rate of commissural axon extension through inhibition of cofilin activity. Development. 2013;140:333-42 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal the mechanistic differences used by distinct components of the canonical Bmpr complex to mediate the diverse activities of the BMPs...
- Ashworth S, Teng B, Kaufeld J, Miller E, Tossidou I, Englert C, et al. Cofilin-1 inactivation leads to proteinuria--studies in zebrafish, mice and humans. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12626 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we describe a novel pathomechanism of proteinuria development. ..
- Krüger M, Zhao S, Chai X, Brunne B, Bouché E, Bock H, et al. Role for Reelin-induced cofilin phosphorylation in the assembly of sympathetic preganglionic neurons in the murine intermediolateral column. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;32:1611-7 pubmed publisher..The results extend our previous studies on cortical neurons in which Reelin in the marginal zone was found to stabilize the leading processes of migrating neurons and terminate the migration process. ..
- Campos S, Ashworth S, Wean S, Hosford M, Sandoval R, Hallett M, et al. Cytokine-induced F-actin reorganization in endothelial cells involves RhoA activation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F487-95 pubmed publisher..These results suggest cytokines signal through the Rho-ROCK pathway, but also through another pathway to affect actin dynamics. ..
- Hadas S, Spira M, Hanisch U, Reichert F, Rotshenker S. Complement receptor-3 negatively regulates the phagocytosis of degenerated myelin through tyrosine kinase Syk and cofilin. J Neuroinflammation. 2012;9:166 pubmed publisher..Self-negative control of phagocytosis by the phagocytic receptor can be useful in protecting phagocytes from excessive phagocytosis (i.e., "overeating") during extended exposure to particles that are destined for ingestion. ..
- Chai X, Forster E, Zhao S, Bock H, Frotscher M. Reelin stabilizes the actin cytoskeleton of neuronal processes by inducing n-cofilin phosphorylation at serine3. J Neurosci. 2009;29:288-99 pubmed publisher..These novel findings suggest that Reelin-induced stabilization of neuronal processes anchors them to the marginal zone which appears to be required for the directional migration process. ..
- Jönsson F, Gurniak C, Fleischer B, Kirfel G, Witke W. Immunological responses and actin dynamics in macrophages are controlled by N-cofilin but are independent from ADF. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36034 pubmed publisher..Our data identify n-cofilin as a novel regulator of antigen presentation, while ADF on the other hand is dispensable for macrophage motility and antigen presentation. ..
- Grego Bessa J, Hildebrand J, Anderson K. Morphogenesis of the mouse neural plate depends on distinct roles of cofilin 1 in apical and basal epithelial domains. Development. 2015;142:1305-14 pubmed publisher..the cellular basis of the neural tube closure defect in mouse mutants that lack the actin-severing protein cofilin 1 (CFL1)...
- Kuure S, Cebrian C, MACHINGO Q, Lu B, Chi X, Hyink D, et al. Actin depolymerizing factors cofilin1 and destrin are required for ureteric bud branching morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001176 pubmed publisher..during renal branching morphogenesis, we studied the functional requirements for the closely related ADFs cofilin1 (Cfl1) and destrin (Dstn) during mouse development...
- Steller E, Ritsma L, Raats D, Hoogwater F, Emmink B, Govaert K, et al. The death receptor CD95 activates the cofilin pathway to stimulate tumour cell invasion. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:931-7 pubmed publisher..Cofilin activation is required for CD95-stimulated formation of membrane protrusions and increased tumour cell invasion. ..
- Blangy A, Touaitahuata H, Cres G, Pawlak G. Cofilin activation during podosome belt formation in osteoclasts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45909 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data involve cofilin as a regulator of podosome organization that is activated during osteoclast differentiation by a RANKL-mediated signaling pathway targeting the SSH1 phosphatase...
- Wolf M, Zimmermann A, Görlich A, Gurniak C, Sassoè Pognetto M, Friauf E, et al. ADF/Cofilin Controls Synaptic Actin Dynamics and Regulates Synaptic Vesicle Mobilization and Exocytosis. Cereb Cortex. 2015;25:2863-75 pubmed publisher..On the presynaptic side, the presence of either ADF or n-cofilin is sufficient to control actin remodeling during vesicle release. ..
- Jiang X, Wassif C, Backlund P, Song L, Holtzclaw L, Li Z, et al. Activation of Rho GTPases in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: pathophysiological and clinical implications. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:1347-57 pubmed publisher..Developmental abnormalities of neuronal process formation may contribute to the neurocognitive deficits found in SLOS and may represent a potential target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Bertling E, Hotulainen P, Mattila P, Matilainen T, Salminen M, Lappalainen P. Cyclase-associated protein 1 (CAP1) promotes cofilin-induced actin dynamics in mammalian nonmuscle cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2324-34 pubmed..Together, these data provide the first direct in vivo evidence that CAP promotes rapid actin dynamics in conjunction with ADF/cofilin and is required for several central cellular processes in mammals. ..
- Bender M, Eckly A, Hartwig J, Elvers M, Pleines I, Gupta S, et al. ADF/n-cofilin-dependent actin turnover determines platelet formation and sizing. Blood. 2010;116:1767-75 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the genetic proof that platelet production from megakaryocytes strictly requires dynamic changes in the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Wang J, Lee J, Christian S, Dang Lawson M, Pritchard C, Freeman S, et al. The Rap1-cofilin-1 pathway coordinates actin reorganization and MTOC polarization at the B cell immune synapse. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:1094-1109 pubmed publisher..Thus the Rap1-cofilin-1 pathway coordinates actin and microtubule organization at the immune synapse. ..
- Romarowski A, Battistone M, La Spina F, Puga Molina L, Luque G, Vitale A, et al. PKA-dependent phosphorylation of LIMK1 and Cofilin is essential for mouse sperm acrosomal exocytosis. Dev Biol. 2015;405:237-49 pubmed publisher..Combining the results of our present study with other results from the literature, we have proposed a working model regarding how LIMK1 and Cofilin control acrosomal exocytosis in mouse sperm. ..
- Wang J, Xiao Y, Hsu C, Martinez Traverso I, Zhang M, Bai Y, et al. Yap and Taz play a crucial role in neural crest-derived craniofacial development. Development. 2016;143:504-15 pubmed publisher..ChIP-PCR experiments supported the conclusion that Foxc1 is directly regulated by the Yap-Tead complex. Our findings uncover important roles for Yap and Taz in CNC diversification and development. ..
- Woo J, Zhao X, Khan H, Penn C, Wang X, Joly Amado A, et al. Slingshot-Cofilin activation mediates mitochondrial and synaptic dysfunction via AÎ² ligation to Î²1-integrin conformers. Cell Death Differ. 2015;22:921-34 pubmed publisher..These novel findings therefore implicate the essential involvement of the Î²1-integrin-SSH1-Cofilin pathway in mitochondrial and synaptic dysfunction in AD. ..
- BrzÃ³ska H, d Esposito A, Kolatsi Joannou M, Patel V, Igarashi P, Lei Y, et al. Planar cell polarity genes Celsr1 and Vangl2 are necessary for kidney growth, differentiation, and rostrocaudal patterning. Kidney Int. 2016;90:1274-1284 pubmed publisher..Thus, PCP genes are important in mammalian kidney development and have an unexpected role in rostrocaudal patterning during organogenesis. ..
- Poobalasingam T, Yates L, Walker S, Pereira M, Gross N, Ali A, et al. Heterozygous Vangl2Looptail mice reveal novel roles for the planar cell polarity pathway in adult lung homeostasis and repair. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:409-423 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal an important novel role for the PCP pathway in adult lung homeostasis and repair and shed new light on the genetic factors which may modify destructive lung diseases such as emphysema. ..
- Morato Marques M, Campos M, Kane S, Rangel A, Lewis C, Ballinger M, et al. Leukotrienes target F-actin/cofilin-1 to enhance alveolar macrophage anti-fungal activity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28902-13 pubmed publisher..Our data identify LTB(4) and LTD(4) as key mediators of innate immunity against C. albicans, which act by both distinct and conserved signaling mechanisms to enhance multiple antimicrobial functions of AMs. ..
- Zimmermann A, Jene T, Wolf M, Görlich A, Gurniak C, Sassoè Pognetto M, et al. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder-like Phenotype in a Mouse Model with Impaired Actin Dynamics. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;78:95-106 pubmed publisher..Our results link actin dynamics to ADHD, suggesting that mutations in actin regulatory proteins may contribute to the etiology of ADHD in humans. ..
- Saito Y, Doi K, Yamagishi N, Ishihara K, Hatayama T. Screening of Hsp105alpha-binding proteins using yeast and bacterial two-hybrid systems. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;314:396-402 pubmed..The interaction was validated by the results of a pull-down assay and indirect immunofluorescence analysis. The significance of Hsp105alpha and Hsp105alpha-binding proteins in cells was discussed. ..
- Chacón Martínez C, Kiessling N, Winterhoff M, Faix J, MULLER REICHERT T, Jessberger R. The switch-associated protein 70 (SWAP-70) bundles actin filaments and contributes to the regulation of F-actin dynamics. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:28687-703 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal an important role of SWAP-70 in the dynamic spatiotemporal regulation of F-actin networks. ..
- Madineni A, Alhadidi Q, Shah Z. Cofilin Inhibition Restores Neuronal Cell Death in Oxygen-Glucose Deprivation Model of Ischemia. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:867-78 pubmed publisher..We believe that targeting this protein mediator has a potential for therapeutic intervention in ischemic brain injury and stroke. ..
- Kardos R, Nevalainen E, Nyitrai M, Hild G. The effect of ADF/cofilin and profilin on the dynamics of monomeric actin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1834:2010-9 pubmed publisher..The structural arrangement of the nucleotide binding cleft mainly influences the global stability of actin while the dynamics of the different segments can change autonomously. ..
- Moriyama K, Matsumoto S, Nishida E, Sakai H, Yahara I. Nucleotide sequence of mouse cofilin cDNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:3053 pubmed
- Tavazoie S, Alvarez V, Ridenour D, Kwiatkowski D, Sabatini B. Regulation of neuronal morphology and function by the tumor suppressors Tsc1 and Tsc2. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1727-34 pubmed..Thus, the TSC pathway regulates growth and synapse function in neurons, and perturbations of neuronal structure and function are likely to contribute to the pathogenesis of the neurological symptoms of TSC. ..
- Zhu H, Cabrera R, Wlodarczyk B, Bozinov D, Wang D, Schwartz R, et al. Differentially expressed genes in embryonic cardiac tissues of mice lacking Folr1 gene activity. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:128 pubmed..These changes affected normal cytoskeleton structures, cell migration and motility as well as cellular redox status, which may contribute to cardiovascular abnormalities in mouse embryos lacking Folr1 gene activity. ..
- Louvi A, Nishimura S, Gunel M. Ccm3, a gene associated with cerebral cavernous malformations, is required for neuronal migration. Development. 2014;141:1404-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify a novel cytoplasmic regulator of neuronal migration and demonstrate that its inactivation in radial glia progenitors and nascent neurons produces severe malformations of cortical development. ..
- Hayakawa K, Tatsumi H, Sokabe M. Actin filaments function as a tension sensor by tension-dependent binding of cofilin to the filament. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:721-7 pubmed publisher..The binding rate of cofilin to an actin bundle decreased when the bundle was tensed. These results suggest that tension in an actin filament reduces the cofilin binding, resulting in a decrease in its effective severing activity. ..
- Yuan B, Wan P, Chu D, Nie J, Cao Y, Luo W, et al. A cardiomyocyte-specific Wdr1 knockout demonstrates essential functional roles for actin disassembly during myocardial growth and maintenance in mice. Am J Pathol. 2014;184:1967-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that AIP1-regulated actin dynamics play essential roles in heart function in mice. ..
- Liu L, Li J, Zhang L, Zhang F, Zhang R, Chen X, et al. Cofilin phosphorylation is elevated after F-actin disassembly induced by Rac1 depletion. Biofactors. 2015;41:352-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, aberrant cofilin phosphorylation that induces actin polymerization might be a consequence of actin disassembly induced by the absence of Rac1. ..
- Vitriol E, Wise A, Berginski M, Bamburg J, Zheng J. Instantaneous inactivation of cofilin reveals its function of F-actin disassembly in lamellipodia. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2238-47 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that the principal role of cofilin in lamellipodia at steady state is to break down F-actin, control filament turnover, and regulate the rate of retrograde flow. ..
- Dang D, Bamburg J, Ramos D. Alphavbeta3 integrin and cofilin modulate K1735 melanoma cell invasion. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:468-77 pubmed..Interestingly, the invasion of M2Tbeta3 cells could be sustained by overexpression of cofilin A3. These results suggest that the integrin alphavbeta3 and cofilin together regulate K1735 melanoma cell invasion. ..
- Moon A, Drubin D. The ADF/cofilin proteins: stimulus-responsive modulators of actin dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1423-31 pubmed
- Larsen A, Lametsch R, Elce J, Larsen J, Thomsen B, Larsen M, et al. Genetic disruption of calpain correlates with loss of membrane blebbing and differential expression of RhoGDI-1, cofilin and tropomyosin. Biochem J. 2008;411:657-66 pubmed..of wild-type and knockout cells identified decreased levels of RhoGDI-1 (Rho GDP-dissociation inhibitor) and cofilin 1, and increased levels of tropomyosin in calpain-knockout cells, suggesting a role of calpain in regulating ..
- Chai X, Zhao S, Fan L, Zhang W, Lu X, Shao H, et al. Reelin and cofilin cooperate during the migration of cortical neurons: a quantitative morphological analysis. Development. 2016;143:1029-40 pubmed publisher..5 wild-type cortical neurons with pCAG-EGFP plasmids encoding either a nonphosphorylatable form of cofilin 1 (cofilin(S3A)), a pseudophosphorylated form (cofilin(S3E)) or wild-type cofilin 1 (cofilin(WT))...