Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cer1
Description: cerberus 1, DAN family BMP antagonist
Alias: Cerl, Cerl1, Cerr1, cer-1, cerberus, cer-l, cerberus 1 homolog, cerberus homolog, cerberus-like protein, cerberus-related protein
- Shawlot W, Min Deng J, Wakamiya M, Behringer R. The cerberus-related gene, Cerr1, is not essential for mouse head formation. Genesis. 2000;26:253-8 pubmedThe Xenopus cerberus gene encodes a secreted factor expressed in the Spemann organizer that can cause ectopic head formation when its mRNA is injected into Xenopus embryos...
- Biben C, Stanley E, Fabri L, Kotecha S, Rhinn M, Drinkwater C, et al. Murine cerberus homologue mCer-1: a candidate anterior patterning molecule. Dev Biol. 1998;194:135-51 pubmedXenopus cerberus (Xcer) is a cytokine expressed in anterior mesendoderm overlapping and surrounding Spemann's gastrula organiser...
- Liu P, Wakamiya M, Shea M, Albrecht U, Behringer R, Bradley A. Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formation. Nat Genet. 1999;22:361-5 pubmed..These studies provide genetic proof for the requirement of Wnt3 in primary axis formation in the mouse. ..
- Shawlot W, Deng J, Behringer R. Expression of the mouse cerberus-related gene, Cerr1, suggests a role in anterior neural induction and somitogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:6198-203 pubmedThe Xenopus cerberus gene encodes a secreted factor that is expressed in the anterior endomesoderm of gastrula stage embryos and can induce the formation of ectopic heads when its mRNA is injected into Xenopus embryos [Bouwmeester, T...
- Acampora D, Avantaggiato V, Tuorto F, Briata P, Corte G, Simeone A. Visceral endoderm-restricted translation of Otx1 mediates recovery of Otx2 requirements for specification of anterior neural plate and normal gastrulation. Development. 1998;125:5091-104 pubmed..Moreover, our data lead us to hypothesize that the differential post-transcriptional control existing between VE and epiblast cells may potentially contribute to fundamental regulatory mechanisms required for head specification. ..
- Yang Y, Klingensmith J. Roles of organizer factors and BMP antagonism in mammalian forebrain establishment. Dev Biol. 2006;296:458-75 pubmed..These results lead to a model in which BMP antagonism supplied by exogenous tissues promotes forebrain establishment and maintenance in the murine ectoderm. ..
- Hoodless P, Pye M, Chazaud C, Labbe E, Attisano L, Rossant J, et al. FoxH1 (Fast) functions to specify the anterior primitive streak in the mouse. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1257-71 pubmed..These results show that FoxH1 functions in an activin/nodal-Smad signaling pathway that acts upstream of Foxa2 and is required specifically for patterning the APS and node in the mouse. ..
- Kinder S, Tsang T, Ang S, Behringer R, Tam P. Defects of the body plan of mutant embryos lacking Lim1, Otx2 or Hnf3beta activity. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:347-55 pubmed..associated with the posterior germ layer tissues and the primitive streak (T, Wnt3 and Fgf8) and anterior endoderm (Cer1 and Sox17) revealed that the A-P axis of mutant embryos remains aligned with the proximo-distal plane of the ..
- Waldrip W, Bikoff E, Hoodless P, Wrana J, Robertson E. Smad2 signaling in extraembryonic tissues determines anterior-posterior polarity of the early mouse embryo. Cell. 1998;92:797-808 pubmed..Chimera experiments demonstrate these essential activities are contributed by the extraembryonic tissues. Thus, the extraembryonic tissues play critical roles in establishing the body plan during early mouse development. ..
- Kinder S, Tsang T, Wakamiya M, Sasaki H, Behringer R, Nagy A, et al. The organizer of the mouse gastrula is composed of a dynamic population of progenitor cells for the axial mesoderm. Development. 2001;128:3623-34 pubmed..The gastrula organizer is therefore composed of a constantly changing population of cells that are allocated to different parts of the axial mesoderm...
- Torres Padilla M, Richardson L, Kolasinska P, Meilhac S, Luetke Eversloh M, Zernicka Goetz M. The anterior visceral endoderm of the mouse embryo is established from both preimplantation precursor cells and by de novo gene expression after implantation. Dev Biol. 2007;309:97-112 pubmed..First, we show that the expression of another AVE marker, Cer1, also commences before implantation and its expression becomes consolidated in the subset of ICM cells that ..
- Takahashi Y, Koizumi K, Takagi A, Kitajima S, Inoue T, Koseki H, et al. Mesp2 initiates somite segmentation through the Notch signalling pathway. Nat Genet. 2000;25:390-6 pubmed..Therefore, Mesp2- and Ps1-dependent activation of Notch-signalling pathways might differentially regulate Dll1 expression, resulting in the establishment of the rostro-caudal polarity of somites. ..
- Ware S, Harutyunyan K, Belmont J. Zic3 is critical for early embryonic patterning during gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:776-85 pubmed..At later stages, deficiency of Zic3 results in abnormal mesoderm allocation. These results indicate a requirement for Zic3 during early embryogenesis prior to cardiac and visceral organ patterning. ..
- Chu G, Dunn N, Anderson D, Oxburgh L, Robertson E. Differential requirements for Smad4 in TGFbeta-dependent patterning of the early mouse embryo. Development. 2004;131:3501-12 pubmed..These results suggest that Smad4 potentiates a subset of TGFbeta-related signals during early embryonic development, but is dispensable for others. ..
- Chen C, Ware S, Sato A, Houston Hawkins D, Habas R, Matzuk M, et al. The Vg1-related protein Gdf3 acts in a Nodal signaling pathway in the pre-gastrulation mouse embryo. Development. 2006;133:319-29 pubmed..Our findings indicate that Gdf3 acts in a Nodal-like signaling pathway in pre-gastrulation development, and provide evidence for the functional conservation of Vg1 activity in mice. ..
- Bussen M, Petry M, Schuster Gossler K, Leitges M, Gossler A, Kispert A. The T-box transcription factor Tbx18 maintains the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1209-21 pubmed..In summary, Tbx18 appears to act downstream of Mesp2 and Delta/Notch signaling to maintain the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. ..
- Dunn N, Vincent S, Oxburgh L, Robertson E, Bikoff E. Combinatorial activities of Smad2 and Smad3 regulate mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse embryo. Development. 2004;131:1717-28 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that dose-dependent Smad2 and Smad3 signals cooperatively mediate cell fate decisions in the early mouse embryo. ..
- Rakeman A, Anderson K. Axis specification and morphogenesis in the mouse embryo require Nap1, a regulator of WAVE-mediated actin branching. Development. 2006;133:3075-83 pubmed..Thus, the Nap1 mutant phenotypes define the crucial roles of Nap1/WAVE-mediated actin regulation in tissue organization and establishment of the body plan of the mammalian embryo. ..
- Perea Gomez A, Vella F, Shawlot W, Oulad Abdelghani M, Chazaud C, Meno C, et al. Nodal antagonists in the anterior visceral endoderm prevent the formation of multiple primitive streaks. Dev Cell. 2002;3:745-56 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that Cerberus-like(-/-);Lefty1(-/-) compound mutants can develop a primitive streak ectopically in the embryo...
- Dunwoodie S, Clements M, Sparrow D, Sa X, Conlon R, Beddington R. Axial skeletal defects caused by mutation in the spondylocostal dysplasia/pudgy gene Dll3 are associated with disruption of the segmentation clock within the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2002;129:1795-806 pubmed
- Lickert H, Kutsch S, Kanzler B, Tamai Y, Taketo M, Kemler R. Formation of multiple hearts in mice following deletion of beta-catenin in the embryonic endoderm. Dev Cell. 2002;3:171-81 pubmed..We provide evidence that ablation of beta-catenin in embryonic endoderm changes cell fate from endoderm to precardiac mesoderm, consistent with the existence of bipotential mesendodermal progenitors in mouse embryos. ..
- Yamamoto M, Saijoh Y, Perea Gomez A, Shawlot W, Behringer R, Ang S, et al. Nodal antagonists regulate formation of the anteroposterior axis of the mouse embryo. Nature. 2004;428:387-92 pubmed..driving force for DVE migration by stimulating the proliferation of visceral endoderm cells, the antagonists Lefty1 and Cerl determine the direction of migration by asymmetrically inhibiting Nodal activity on the future anterior side.
- Kimura Yoshida C, Nakano H, Okamura D, Nakao K, Yonemura S, Belo J, et al. Canonical Wnt signaling and its antagonist regulate anterior-posterior axis polarization by guiding cell migration in mouse visceral endoderm. Dev Cell. 2005;9:639-50 pubmed..We propose that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling mediates A-P axis polarization by guiding cell migration toward the prospective anterior in the pregastrula mouse embryo...
- Beck S, Le Good J, Guzman M, Ben Haim N, Roy K, Beermann F, et al. Extraembryonic proteases regulate Nodal signalling during gastrulation. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:981-5 pubmed..A lack of Spc1 and Spc4 affects both pathways because these proteases also stimulate induction of Bmp4. ..
- Yamamoto M, Meno C, Sakai Y, Shiratori H, Mochida K, Ikawa Y, et al. The transcription factor FoxH1 (FAST) mediates Nodal signaling during anterior-posterior patterning and node formation in the mouse. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1242-56 pubmed..These results indicate that a Nodal-FoxH1 signaling pathway plays a central role in A-P patterning and node formation in the mouse. ..
- Constam D, Robertson E. Tissue-specific requirements for the proprotein convertase furin/SPC1 during embryonic turning and heart looping. Development. 2000;127:245-54 pubmed..Overall, we conclude that Furin activity is essential in both extraembryonic and precardiac mesoderm, and in definitive endoderm derivatives. ..
- Cai W, Albini S, Wei K, Willems E, Guzzo R, Tsuda M, et al. Coordinate Nodal and BMP inhibition directs Baf60c-dependent cardiomyocyte commitment. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2332-44 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the endoderm-derived dual Nodal/bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) antagonist Cerberus-1 (Cer1) in embryonic stem cell cultures orchestrates two signaling pathways that direct the SWI/SNF chromatin ..
- Episkopou V, Arkell R, Timmons P, Walsh J, Andrew R, Swan D. Induction of the mammalian node requires Arkadia function in the extraembryonic lineages. Nature. 2001;410:825-30 pubmed..Furthermore, our experiments show that Arkadia interacts genetically with the transforming growth factor (TGF)beta-like factor Nodal, implying that Nodal mediates the function of Arkadia in node induction. ..
- Arnold S, Hofmann U, Bikoff E, Robertson E. Pivotal roles for eomesodermin during axis formation, epithelium-to-mesenchyme transition and endoderm specification in the mouse. Development. 2008;135:501-11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our experiments establish that Eomes is a key regulator of anteroposterior axis formation, EMT and definitive endoderm specification in the mouse. ..
- Takahashi Y, Inoue T, Gossler A, Saga Y. Feedback loops comprising Dll1, Dll3 and Mesp2, and differential involvement of Psen1 are essential for rostrocaudal patterning of somites. Development. 2003;130:4259-68 pubmed..We conclude from our analyses that Mesp2 functions as a central mediator of such Notch pathways and regulates the gene expression required for rostrocaudal patterning of somites. ..
- Camus A, Perea Gomez A, Moreau A, Collignon J. Absence of Nodal signaling promotes precocious neural differentiation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;295:743-55 pubmed
- Kanai Azuma M, Kanai Y, Gad J, Tajima Y, Taya C, Kurohmaru M, et al. Depletion of definitive gut endoderm in Sox17-null mutant mice. Development. 2002;129:2367-79 pubmed..Our findings indicate an important role of Sox17 in endoderm development in the mouse, highlighting the idea that the molecular mechanism for endoderm formation is likely to be conserved among vertebrates. ..
- Vincent S, Dunn N, Hayashi S, Norris D, Robertson E. Cell fate decisions within the mouse organizer are governed by graded Nodal signals. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1646-62 pubmed..These findings conclusively demonstrate that graded Nodal/Smad2 signals govern allocation of the axial mesendoderm precursors that selectively give rise to the ADE and PCP mesoderm...
- Chazaud C, Rossant J. Disruption of early proximodistal patterning and AVE formation in Apc mutants. Development. 2006;133:3379-87 pubmed..In addition, we found that nuclear beta-catenin and other molecular markers are asymmetrically expressed by 4.5 days. ..
- Martinez Barbera J, Clements M, Thomas P, Rodriguez T, Meloy D, Kioussis D, et al. The homeobox gene Hex is required in definitive endodermal tissues for normal forebrain, liver and thyroid formation. Development. 2000;127:2433-45 pubmed..All together, these results demonstrate that Hex function is essential in definitive endoderm for normal development of the forebrain, liver and thyroid gland. ..
- Belo J, Bouwmeester T, Leyns L, Kertesz N, Gallo M, Follettie M, et al. Cerberus-like is a secreted factor with neutralizing activity expressed in the anterior primitive endoderm of the mouse gastrula. Mech Dev. 1997;68:45-57 pubmedWe report the isolation of mouse cerberus-like (cer-l), a gene encoding a novel secreted protein that is specifically expressed in the anterior visceral endoderm during early gastrulation...
- Belo J, Bachiller D, Agius E, Kemp C, Borges A, Marques S, et al. Cerberus-like is a secreted BMP and nodal antagonist not essential for mouse development. Genesis. 2000;26:265-70 pubmedMouse cerberus-like (cer-l) is a member of the Cerberus/Dan family of secreted factors. As other members of this family of proteins, Cer-l functions in the extracellular space, inhibiting signaling molecules...
- Ben Haim N, Lu C, Guzman Ayala M, Pescatore L, Mesnard D, Bischofberger M, et al. The nodal precursor acting via activin receptors induces mesoderm by maintaining a source of its convertases and BMP4. Dev Cell. 2006;11:313-23 pubmed..Based on mathematical modeling, we discuss how these sequential loops control cell fate. ..
- Ding J, Yang L, Yan Y, Chen A, Desai N, Wynshaw Boris A, et al. Cripto is required for correct orientation of the anterior-posterior axis in the mouse embryo. Nature. 1998;395:702-7 pubmed..Our results indicate that Cripto signalling is essential for the conversion of a proximal-distal asymmetry into an orthogonal anterior-posterior axis. ..
- Barrantes I, Elia A, Wunsch K, Hrabe de Angelis M, Mak T, Rossant J, et al. Interaction between Notch signalling and Lunatic fringe during somite boundary formation in the mouse. Curr Biol. 1999;9:470-80 pubmed..In this region, Notch function activates a set of genes that are involved in boundary formation and anterior-posterior somite identity. ..
- Bachiller D, Klingensmith J, Kemp C, Belo J, Anderson R, May S, et al. The organizer factors Chordin and Noggin are required for mouse forebrain development. Nature. 2000;403:658-61 pubmed..homologous to the node, partially overlaps with anterior endoderm cells expressing homologues of the AVE markers cerberus, Hex and Hesx1...
- Pearce J, Penny G, Rossant J. A mouse cerberus/Dan-related gene family. Dev Biol. 1999;209:98-110 pubmedThe Xenopus cerberus gene is able to induce ectopic heads in Xenopus embryos. At the time of its identification, cerberus shared significant homology with only one other protein, the putative rat tumor suppressor protein Dan...
- Chi L, Saarela U, Railo A, Prunskaite Hyyryläinen R, Skovorodkin I, Anthony S, et al. A secreted BMP antagonist, Cer1, fine tunes the spatial organization of the ureteric bud tree during mouse kidney development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27676 pubmed publisher..We show that a secreted Bmp antagonist Cerberus homologue (Cer1) fine tunes the organization of the ureteric tree during organogenesis in the mouse embryo...
- Acampora D, Di Giovannantonio L, Di Salvio M, Mancuso P, Simeone A. Selective inactivation of Otx2 mRNA isoforms reveals isoform-specific requirement for visceral endoderm anteriorization and head morphogenesis and highlights cell diversity in the visceral endoderm. Mech Dev. 2009;126:882-97 pubmed publisher
- Perea Gomez A, Camus A, Moreau A, Grieve K, Moneron G, Dubois A, et al. Initiation of gastrulation in the mouse embryo is preceded by an apparent shift in the orientation of the anterior-posterior axis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:197-207 pubmed..These results reveal a level of regulation and plasticity so far unsuspected in the mouse gastrula. ..
- Acampora D, Boyl P, Signore M, Martinez Barbera J, Ilengo C, Puelles E, et al. OTD/OTX2 functional equivalence depends on 5' and 3' UTR-mediated control of Otx2 mRNA for nucleo-cytoplasmic export and epiblast-restricted translation. Development. 2001;128:4801-13 pubmed..These data provide novel in vivo evidence supporting the concept that during evolution pre-existing gene functions have been recruited into new developmental pathways by modifying their regulatory control. ..
- Fiorenzano A, Pascale E, D Aniello C, Acampora D, Bassalert C, Russo F, et al. Cripto is essential to capture mouse epiblast stem cell and human embryonic stem cell pluripotency. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12589 pubmed publisher..All together, our studies provide novel insights into the current model of mammalian pluripotency and contribute to the understanding of the extrinsic regulation of the first cell lineage decision in the embryo. ..
- Kelly O, Pinson K, Skarnes W. The Wnt co-receptors Lrp5 and Lrp6 are essential for gastrulation in mice. Development. 2004;131:2803-15 pubmed..The effect of reducing, but not eliminating, Wnt signaling in Lrp5(+/-);Lrp6(-/-) mutant embryos provides important insight into the interplay between Wnt, Fgf and Nodal signals in patterning the early mouse embryo. ..
- Zuniga A, Haramis A, McMahon A, Zeller R. Signal relay by BMP antagonism controls the SHH/FGF4 feedback loop in vertebrate limb buds. Nature. 1999;401:598-602 pubmed
- Liao X, Collins M. All-trans retinoic acid-induced ectopic limb and caudal structures: murine strain sensitivities and pathogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1553-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that all extra hindlimbs were derived from ectopic axis formation, perturbation of which is genetic background dependent. ..
- Xiao C, Shim J, Klüppel M, Zhang S, Dong C, Flavell R, et al. Ecsit is required for Bmp signaling and mesoderm formation during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2933-49 pubmed..Therefore, these results show that Ecsit functions as an essential component in two important signal transduction pathways and establishes a novel role for Ecsit as a cofactor for Smad proteins in the Bmp signaling pathway. ..
- White P, Farkas D, McFadden E, Chapman D. Defective somite patterning in mouse embryos with reduced levels of Tbx6. Development. 2003;130:1681-90 pubmed..The similarity in the phenotypes we describe here and that of some human birth defects, such as spondylocostal dysostosis, raises the possibility that mutations in Tbx6 or components of this pathway may be responsible for these defects. ..
- Tam P, Khoo P, Lewis S, Bildsoe H, Wong N, Tsang T, et al. Sequential allocation and global pattern of movement of the definitive endoderm in the mouse embryo during gastrulation. Development. 2007;134:251-60 pubmed..The observation that the endoderm cells are inherently unable to move despite the expansion of the mesoderm in the Mixl1-null mutant suggests that the movement of the endoderm and the mesoderm is driven independently of one another. ..
- D Aniello C, Fiorenzano A, Iaconis S, Liguori G, Andolfi G, Cobellis G, et al. The G-protein-coupled receptor APJ is expressed in the second heart field and regulates Cerberus-Baf60c axis in embryonic stem cell cardiomyogenesis. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;100:95-104 pubmed publisher..proliferation and cardiovascular differentiation, (ii) regulates the Nodal/Bone Morphogenetic Protein antagonist Cerberus and the Baf60c/Smarcd3 subunit of the Brg1/Brm-associated factors (BAF) chromatin-remodelling complex...
- Chung A, Katz D, Pereira F, Jackson K, DeMayo F, Cooney A, et al. Loss of orphan receptor germ cell nuclear factor function results in ectopic development of the tail bud and a novel posterior truncation. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:663-77 pubmed..These results suggest that GCNF regulates a novel and critical developmental pathway involved in normal anteroposterior development. ..
- McKnight K, Hou J, Hoodless P. Foxh1 and Foxa2 are not required for formation of the midgut and hindgut definitive endoderm. Dev Biol. 2010;337:471-81 pubmed publisher..This finding represents a significant insight into specification and regionalization of mouse definitive endoderm. ..
- del Barco Barrantes I, Davidson G, Grone H, Westphal H, Niehrs C. Dkk1 and noggin cooperate in mammalian head induction. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2239-44 pubmed..The results provide genetic evidence for the dual inhibition model and indicate that dkk1 and noggin functionally cooperate in the head organizer. ..
- Bloomekatz J, Grego Bessa J, Migeotte I, Anderson K. Pten regulates collective cell migration during specification of the anterior-posterior axis of the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;364:192-201 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that Pten has an essential and general role in the control of mammalian collective cell migration. ..
- Morsut L, Yan K, Enzo E, Aragona M, Soligo S, Wendling O, et al. Negative control of Smad activity by ectodermin/Tif1gamma patterns the mammalian embryo. Development. 2010;137:2571-8 pubmed publisher..This study unveils that intracellular negative control of Smad function by ectodermin/Tif1gamma is a crucial element in the cellular response to TGFbeta signals in mammalian tissues. ..
- Hart A, Hartley L, Sourris K, Stadler E, Li R, Stanley E, et al. Mixl1 is required for axial mesendoderm morphogenesis and patterning in the murine embryo. Development. 2002;129:3597-608 pubmed..Mixl1 is therefore required for the morphogenesis of axial mesoderm, the heart and the gut during embryogenesis. ..
- Chu J, Shen M. Functional redundancy of EGF-CFC genes in epiblast and extraembryonic patterning during early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;342:63-73 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that both Cripto and Cryptic function non-cell-autonomously during normal development, and that most if not all Nodal activity in early mouse embryogenesis is EGF-CFC-dependent. ..
- Loebel D, Watson C, De Young R, Tam P. Lineage choice and differentiation in mouse embryos and embryonic stem cells. Dev Biol. 2003;264:1-14 pubmed..Increasing the efficiency of this process can only result from a better understanding of the molecular control of cell lineage determination in the embryo. ..
- Mavrakis K, Andrew R, Lee K, Petropoulou C, Dixon J, Navaratnam N, et al. Arkadia enhances Nodal/TGF-beta signaling by coupling phospho-Smad2/3 activity and turnover. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e67 pubmed..This mechanism can account for achieving efficient and maximum Nodal signaling during embryogenesis and for rapid resetting of target gene promoters allowing cells to respond to dynamic changes in extracellular signals. ..
- Takahashi Y, Yasuhiko Y, Kitajima S, Kanno J, Saga Y. Appropriate suppression of Notch signaling by Mesp factors is essential for stripe pattern formation leading to segment boundary formation. Dev Biol. 2007;304:593-603 pubmed..The activation and subsequent suppression of Notch signaling might thus be a crucial event for both stripe pattern formation and boundary formation. ..
- Yamashita T, Wada R, Sasaki T, Deng C, Bierfreund U, Sandhoff K, et al. A vital role for glycosphingolipid synthesis during development and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:9142-7 pubmed
- Iwashita H, Shiraki N, Sakano D, Ikegami T, Shiga M, Kume K, et al. Secreted cerberus1 as a marker for quantification of definitive endoderm differentiation of the pluripotent stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64291 pubmed publisher..of ES/iPS cell differentiation into the DE without dissociating the cells, we examined whether secreted Cerberus1 (Cer1) protein could be used as a marker...
- Fernandez Diaz L, Laurent A, Girasoli S, Turco M, Longobardi E, Iotti G, et al. The absence of Prep1 causes p53-dependent apoptosis of mouse pluripotent epiblast cells. Development. 2010;137:3393-403 pubmed publisher..Despite this early lethal phenotype, Prep1 is not essential for ES cell establishment. A differential embryonic expression pattern underscores the unique function of Prep1 within the Meis-Prep family. ..
- Migeotte I, Omelchenko T, Hall A, Anderson K. Rac1-dependent collective cell migration is required for specification of the anterior-posterior body axis of the mouse. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000442 pubmed publisher..The data show that Rac1-mediated epithelial migration of the AVE is a crucial step in the establishment of the mammalian body plan and suggest that Rac1 is essential for collective migration in mammalian tissues...
- Nowotschin S, Costello I, Piliszek A, Kwon G, Mao C, Klein W, et al. The T-box transcription factor Eomesodermin is essential for AVE induction in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 2013;27:997-1002 pubmed publisher..Thus, Eomes function in the visceral endoderm (VE) initiates an instructive transcriptional program controlling AP identity...
- Simpson E, Suffolk R, Bell J, Jordan S, Johnson D, Hunsicker P, et al. A comparative transcript map and candidates for mutant phenotypes in the Tyrp1 (brown) deletion complex homologous to human 9p21-23. Mamm Genome. 2000;11:58-63 pubmed..spans the full extent of the distal deletion complex and show that the mouse homologs of four of these, including Cer1, map within the complex...
- Stanley E, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Copeland N, Harvey R. Murine cerberus homologue Cer1 maps to chromosome 4. Genomics. 1998;49:337-8 pubmed
- Clements M, Pernaute B, Vella F, Rodriguez T. Crosstalk between Nodal/activin and MAPK p38 signaling is essential for anterior-posterior axis specification. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1289-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results reveal a novel role for p38 in regulating the threshold of Nodal signaling and propose a new mechanism by which A-P axis development can be reinforced during early embryogenesis. ..
- Trask M, Tremblay K, Mager J. Yin-Yang1 is required for epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and regulation of Nodal signaling during mammalian gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2012;368:273-82 pubmed publisher..These results are the first to elucidate the diverse role of YY1 during gastrulation in vivo. ..
- Hong M, Krauss R. Cdon mutation and fetal ethanol exposure synergize to produce midline signaling defects and holoprosencephaly spectrum disorders in mice. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002999 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, gene-environment interactions are likely to be important in the multifactorial etiology of HPE...
- Merrill B, Pasolli H, Polak L, Rendl M, GARCIA GARCIA M, Anderson K, et al. Tcf3: a transcriptional regulator of axis induction in the early embryo. Development. 2004;131:263-74 pubmed..Taken together, these data reveal a unique requirement for Tcf3 repressor function in restricting induction of the anterior-posterior axis. ..