Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdh6
Description: cadherin 6
Alias: cad6, cadherin-6, K-cadherin, kidney cadherin
- Bishop K, Rubenstein J, O Leary D. Distinct actions of Emx1, Emx2, and Pax6 in regulating the specification of areas in the developing neocortex. J Neurosci. 2002;22:7627-38 pubmed..Here we use a panel of seven genes (Cad6, Cad8, Id2, RZRbeta, p75, EphA7, and ephrin-A5) representative of a broad range of proteins as complementary ..
- Garel S, Yun K, Grosschedl R, Rubenstein J. The early topography of thalamocortical projections is shifted in Ebf1 and Dlx1/2 mutant mice. Development. 2002;129:5621-34 pubmed..These observations suggest that the topography of thalamocortical projections is not strictly determined by cues located within the neocortex and may be regulated by the relative positioning of thalamic axons inside the basal ganglia. ..
- Inoue T, Tanaka T, Takeichi M, Chisaka O, Nakamura S, Osumi N. Role of cadherins in maintaining the compartment boundary between the cortex and striatum during development. Development. 2001;128:561-9 pubmed..Thus, the differential expression pattern of cadherins in the embryonic telencephalon is responsible for maintaining the cortico-striatal compartment boundary. ..
- Inoue T, Chisaka O, Matsunami H, Takeichi M. Cadherin-6 expression transiently delineates specific rhombomeres, other neural tube subdivisions, and neural crest subpopulations in mouse embryos. Dev Biol. 1997;183:183-94 pubmedMammalian cadherin-6 (K-cadherin, cad6) was originally identified by means of the polymerase chain reaction, but its biological functions have not yet been determined...
- Inoue Y, Asami J, Inoue T. Cadherin-6 gene regulatory patterns in the postnatal mouse brain. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;39:95-104 pubmed publisherCadherin-6 (Cdh6, K-cadherin) is a synaptic adhesion molecule the expression of which demarcates restricted sets of neuronal circuitries in postnatal mouse brains...
- Nakagawa R, Matsunaga E, Okanoya K. Defects in ultrasonic vocalization of cadherin-6 knockout mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49233 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cadherin-6 plays essential roles in locomotor activity and ultrasonic vocalization. These findings also support the idea that different species share some of the molecular mechanisms underlying vocal behavior. ..
- Nakagawa Y, Johnson J, O Leary D. Graded and areal expression patterns of regulatory genes and cadherins in embryonic neocortex independent of thalamocortical input. J Neurosci. 1999;19:10877-85 pubmed..and Emx1, representatives of three different classes of transcription factors, and the type II classical cadherins Cad6, Cad8, and Cad11, which are expressed in graded or areal patterns, as well as layer-specific patterns, in the ..
- Duan X, Krishnaswamy A, De la Huerta I, Sanes J. Type II cadherins guide assembly of a direction-selective retinal circuit. Cell. 2014;158:793-807 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal cellular components of a retinal circuit and demonstrate roles of type II cadherins in synaptic choice and circuit function. ..
- Mah S, Saueressig H, Goulding M, Kintner C, Dressler G. Kidney development in cadherin-6 mutants: delayed mesenchyme-to-epithelial conversion and loss of nephrons. Dev Biol. 2000;223:38-53 pubmed..These studies support the idea that cadherins play an essential role in the formation of epithelial structures and underscore the importance of timing in orchestrating the morphogenesis of complex epithelial tissues. ..
- Henderson D, Ybot Gonzalez P, Copp A. Over-expression of the chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan versican is associated with defective neural crest migration in the Pax3 mutant mouse (splotch). Mech Dev. 1997;69:39-51 pubmed..Pax3 may serve to negatively regulate versican expression during normal development, thereby guiding neural crest cells into their pathways of migration. ..
- Rinon A, Lazar S, Marshall H, Büchmann Møller S, Neufeld A, Elhanany Tamir H, et al. Cranial neural crest cells regulate head muscle patterning and differentiation during vertebrate embryogenesis. Development. 2007;134:3065-75 pubmed..We suggest that CNC cells control craniofacial development by regulating positional interactions with mesoderm-derived muscle progenitors that together shape the cranial musculoskeletal architecture in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Chen L, Guo Q, Li J. Transcription factor Gbx2 acts cell-nonautonomously to regulate the formation of lineage-restriction boundaries of the thalamus. Development. 2009;136:1317-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that, within the developing thalamus, the dynamic and differential expression of Gbx2 may be involved in the specific segregation of thalamic neurons, leading to partition of the thalamus into different nuclei. ..
- Garel S, Huffman K, Rubenstein J. Molecular regionalization of the neocortex is disrupted in Fgf8 hypomorphic mutants. Development. 2003;130:1903-14 pubmed..Overall, our study demonstrates the role of endogenous Fgf8 in regulating early gradients of transcription factors in cortical progenitor cells and in molecular regionalization of the cortical plate. ..
- Bishop K, Garel S, Nakagawa Y, Rubenstein J, O Leary D. Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate cortical size, lamination, neuronal differentiation, development of cortical efferents, and thalamocortical pathfinding. J Comp Neurol. 2003;457:345-60 pubmed..The more severe phenotypes in Emx double mutants suggest that Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate multiple features of cortical development. ..
- Lokmane L, Proville R, Narboux Nême N, Gyory I, Keita M, Mailhes C, et al. Sensory map transfer to the neocortex relies on pretarget ordering of thalamic axons. Curr Biol. 2013;23:810-6 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that sensory map transfer relies not only on positional information in the projecting and target structures but also on preordering of axons along their trajectory, thereby opening novel perspectives on brain wiring. ..
- Sonnenberg Riethmacher E, Miehe M, Stolt C, Goerich D, Wegner M, Riethmacher D. Development and degeneration of dorsal root ganglia in the absence of the HMG-domain transcription factor Sox10. Mech Dev. 2001;109:253-65 pubmed..5 and E 11.5). We show that both increased apoptosis as well as decreased proliferation of neural crest cells contribute to the observed hypomorphism. ..
- Voiculescu O, Taillebourg E, Pujades C, Kress C, Buart S, Charnay P, et al. Hindbrain patterning: Krox20 couples segmentation and specification of regional identity. Development. 2001;128:4967-78 pubmed
- Kataoka A, Shimogori T. Fgf8 controls regional identity in the developing thalamus. Development. 2008;135:2873-81 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest conserved roles of FGF signaling in patterning along the A/P axis in CNS, and reveal mechanisms of nucleogenesis in the developing thalamus. ..
- Munro S, Duclos A, Jackson A, Baines M, Blaschuk O. Characterization of cadherins expressed by murine thymocytes. Cell Immunol. 1996;169:309-12 pubmed..We speculate that cadherins will prove to play an essential role in the ontogeny of thymocytes. ..
- Britsch S, Goerich D, Riethmacher D, Peirano R, Rossner M, Nave K, et al. The transcription factor Sox10 is a key regulator of peripheral glial development. Genes Dev. 2001;15:66-78 pubmed..Haploinsufficiency of Sox10 can thus cause pigmentation and megacolon defects, which are also observed in Sox10(Dom)/+ mice and in patients with Waardenburg-Hirschsprung disease caused by heterozygous SOX10 mutations. ..
- Terakawa Y, Inoue Y, Asami J, Hoshino M, Inoue T. A sharp cadherin-6 gene expression boundary in the developing mouse cortical plate demarcates the future functional areal border. Cereb Cortex. 2013;23:2293-308 pubmed publisher..original bacterial artificial chromosome transgenic mouse lines that specifically recapitulate cadherin-6 (Cdh6) mRNA expression profiles in the layer IV of the somatosensory cortex and by detailing their cortical development, ..
- Mbalaviele G, Nishimura R, Myoi A, Niewolna M, Reddy S, Chen D, et al. Cadherin-6 mediates the heterotypic interactions between the hemopoietic osteoclast cell lineage and stromal cells in a murine model of osteoclast differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1467-76 pubmed
- Little G, Lopez Bendito G, Rünker A, García N, Piñon M, Chedotal A, et al. Specificity and plasticity of thalamocortical connections in Sema6A mutant mice. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e98 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasize the importance and specificity of cortical cues in establishing thalamocortical connectivity and the spectacular capacity of the early postnatal cortex for remapping initial sensory representations. ..
- Lefkovics K, Mayer M, Bercsényi K, Szabo G, Lele Z. Comparative analysis of type II classic cadherin mRNA distribution patterns in the developing and adult mouse somatosensory cortex and hippocampus suggests significant functional redundancy. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:1387-1405 pubmed publisherThe type II classic cadherin subfamily contains a number of extensively studied genes (cdh6, cdh8, cdh11); however, the expression and function of the other members have only been partially described...
- Muzio L, Mallamaci A. Foxg1 confines Cajal-Retzius neuronogenesis and hippocampal morphogenesis to the dorsomedial pallium. J Neurosci. 2005;25:4435-41 pubmed..Remarkably, in the absence of Foxg1, additional inactivation of the medial fates promoter Emx2, although not suppressing cortical specification, conversely rescues overproduction of Reelin(on) neurons. ..
- Akins M, Benson D, Greer C. Cadherin expression in the developing mouse olfactory system. J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:483-97 pubmed..CDH2, CDH4, and CDH6 are expressed within neuropil...
- Saxton T, Cheng A, Ong S, Lu Y, Sakai R, Cross J, et al. Gene dosage-dependent functions for phosphotyrosine-Grb2 signaling during mammalian tissue morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2001;11:662-70 pubmed
- Bishop K, Goudreau G, O Leary D. Regulation of area identity in the mammalian neocortex by Emx2 and Pax6. Science. 2000;288:344-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that Emx2 and Pax6 cooperate to regulate arealization of the neocortex and to confer area identity to cortical cells. ..
- Padilla F, Broders F, Nicolet M, Mege R. Cadherins M, 11, and 6 expression patterns suggest complementary roles in mouse neuromuscular axis development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1998;11:217-33 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that various cadherins are differentially involved in muscle cell, Schwann cell, and motoneuron interactions and differentiation during neuromuscular development. ..
- Ikeya M, Lee S, Johnson J, McMahon A, Takada S. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature. 1997;389:966-70 pubmed..Given the widespread expression of different Wnt genes in discrete areas of the mammalian neural tube, this may represent a general model for the action of Wnt signalling in the developing CNS. ..
- Cholfin J, Rubenstein J. Patterning of frontal cortex subdivisions by Fgf17. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7652-7 pubmed..Thus, Fgf17 functions similar to Fgf8 in patterning the overall neocortical map but has a more selective role in regulating the properties of the dorsal but not ventral FC. ..
- Nagalakshmi V, Ren Q, Pugh M, Valerius M, McMahon A, Yu J. Dicer regulates the development of nephrogenic and ureteric compartments in the mammalian kidney. Kidney Int. 2011;79:317-30 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an understanding of miRNA action may provide new insights into the etiology and pathogenesis of renal cyst-based kidney disease. ..
- Munro S, Blaschuk O. A comprehensive survey of the cadherins expressed in the testes of fetal, immature, and adult mice utilizing the polymerase chain reaction. Biol Reprod. 1996;55:822-7 pubmed..We speculate that these cadherins will be found to be intimately involved in mediating cell interactions during testicular development. ..
- De la Huerta I, Kim I, Voinescu P, Sanes J. Direction-selective retinal ganglion cells arise from molecularly specified multipotential progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17663-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we determine the origin of RGCs that respond selectively to vertical motion and express cadherin 6 (cdh6)...
- Taniguchi Y, Tanaka O, Sekiguchi M, Takekoshi S, Tsukamoto H, Kimura M, et al. Enforced expression of the transcription factor HOXD3 under the control of the Wnt1 regulatory element modulates cell adhesion properties in the developing mouse neural tube. J Anat. 2011;219:589-600 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that expression of HOXD3 is closely associated with modulation of cell-adhesive properties during embryonic development. ..
- Palmesino E, Rousso D, Kao T, Klar A, Laufer E, Uemura O, et al. Foxp1 and lhx1 coordinate motor neuron migration with axon trajectory choice by gating Reelin signalling. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000446 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations point to identical transcription factors that control motor axon guidance and soma migration and reveal the molecular hierarchy of myotopic organisation. ..
- Martinez Garay I, Gil Sanz C, Franco S, Espinosa A, Molnar Z, Mueller U. Cadherin 2/4 signaling via PTP1B and catenins is crucial for nucleokinesis during radial neuronal migration in the neocortex. Development. 2016;143:2121-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that cadherin-mediated signaling to the cytoskeleton is crucial for nucleokinesis of neocortical projection neurons during their radial migration. ..
- Trumpp A, Depew M, Rubenstein J, Bishop J, Martin G. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev. 1999;13:3136-48 pubmed..Because the mutant mice resemble humans with first arch syndromes that include agnathia, our results raise the possibility that some of these syndromes are caused by mutations that affect FGF8 signaling in BA1 ectoderm...
- Chapouton P, Schuurmans C, Guillemot F, Gotz M. The transcription factor neurogenin 2 restricts cell migration from the cortex to the striatum. Development. 2001;128:5149-59 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that distinct cues located in the cortico-striatal boundary restrict cells in the dorsal and ventral telencephalon. ..
- Hertel N, Redies C. Absence of layer-specific cadherin expression profiles in the neocortex of the reeler mutant mouse. Cereb Cortex. 2011;21:1105-17 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we investigated the mRNA expression of cadherins (Cdh4, Cdh6, Cdh7, Cdh8, Pcdh8, Pcdh9, Pcdh11, Pcdh17, and Pcdh19) in the cerebral cortex of wild-type (wt) mice and reeler ..
- Marthiens V, Padilla F, Lambert M, Mège R. Complementary expression and regulation of cadherins 6 and 11 during specific steps of motoneuron differentiation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;20:458-75 pubmed..These results strongly implicate cadherins 6 and 11 in the control of spinal motoneuron differentiation and segregation and in axoaxonal, axoglial, and glio-glial interactions during sensory-motor nerve progression. ..
- Backer S, Hidalgo Sanchez M, Offner N, Portales Casamar E, Debant A, Fort P, et al. Trio controls the mature organization of neuronal clusters in the hindbrain. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10323-32 pubmed..Altogether, those results establish a link between Trio activity, the subsequent Rac1 activation, and neuronal clusters organization, as well as a possible recruitment of the Cadherin-11 adhesive receptor to form a complex with Trio. ..
- Watari N, Kameda Y, Takeichi M, Chisaka O. Hoxa3 regulates integration of glossopharyngeal nerve precursor cells. Dev Biol. 2001;240:15-31 pubmed..In summary, the Hoxa3 gene has crucial roles in ensuring the correct axon projection pattern of all three components of the IXth nerve, i.e., motor neurons and sensory neurons of the proximal and distal ganglia. ..
- Correia A, Costa M, Moraes F, Bom J, Novoa A, Mallo M. Bmp2 is required for migration but not for induction of neural crest cells in the mouse. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2493-501 pubmed..Finally, our data suggest that the molecular cascade downstream of BMP signaling in early neural crest development may be different in mouse and avian embryos. ..
- Muzio L, Mallamaci A. Emx1, emx2 and pax6 in specification, regionalization and arealization of the cerebral cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2003;13:641-7 pubmed
- Miyashita Lin E, Hevner R, Wassarman K, Martinez S, Rubenstein J. Early neocortical regionalization in the absence of thalamic innervation. Science. 1999;285:906-9 pubmed..This provides evidence that patterning mechanisms intrinsic to the neocortex specify the basic organization of its functional subdivisions. ..
- Lechner M, Dressler G. The molecular basis of embryonic kidney development. Mech Dev. 1997;62:105-20 pubmed..Although the factors involved are far from completely known a rough framework of a molecular cascade which governs embryonic kidney development is beginning to emerge. ..
- Fouillade C, Baron Menguy C, Domenga Denier V, Thibault C, Takamiya K, Huganir R, et al. Transcriptome analysis for Notch3 target genes identifies Grip2 as a novel regulator of myogenic response in the cerebrovasculature. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:76-86 pubmed publisher..Notch3-regulated transcriptome provides potential for modulating myogenic response in the cerebrovasculature. ..
- Peirano R, Goerich D, Riethmacher D, Wegner M. Protein zero gene expression is regulated by the glial transcription factor Sox10. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:3198-209 pubmed..5 of embryogenesis. To our knowledge this is the most conclusive link to date between a glial transcription factor and cell-specific activation of myelin gene expression. ..
- Saarimäki Vire J, Alitalo A, Partanen J. Analysis of Cdh22 expression and function in the developing mouse brain. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1989-2001 pubmed publisher..This revealed both complementary and overlapping patterns of Cdh22, Cdh11, Cdh8, and Cdh6 expression in distinct regions of the forebrain and midbrain...
- Cheng H, Kim M, Valerius M, Surendran K, Schuster Gossler K, Gossler A, et al. Notch2, but not Notch1, is required for proximal fate acquisition in the mammalian nephron. Development. 2007;134:801-11 pubmed..These results establish distinct (non-redundant), instructive roles for Notch receptors in nephron segmentation. ..
- Stevens H, Smith K, Maragnoli M, Fagel D, Borok E, Shanabrough M, et al. Fgfr2 is required for the development of the medial prefrontal cortex and its connections with limbic circuits. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5590-602 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that FGFR2 signaling expands the number of excitatory neurons in the mPFC and secondarily influences target neurons in subcortical stations of the limbic system. ..
- Krishnaswamy A, Yamagata M, Duan X, Hong Y, Sanes J. Sidekick 2 directs formation of a retinal circuit that detects differential motion. Nature. 2015;524:466-470 pubmed publisher..This non-canonical circuit introduces a delay into the pathway from photoreceptors in the centre of the receptive field to W3B-RGCs, which could improve their ability to judge the synchrony of local and global motion. ..
- Boyle S, Liu Z, Kopan R. Notch signaling is required for the formation of mesangial cells from a stromal mesenchyme precursor during kidney development. Development. 2014;141:346-54 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate a unique origin of mesangial cells and demonstrate a novel, redundant function for Notch receptors in mesangial cell specification, proliferation or survival during kidney development. ..
- Kay J, De la Huerta I, Kim I, Zhang Y, Yamagata M, Chu M, et al. Retinal ganglion cells with distinct directional preferences differ in molecular identity, structure, and central projections. J Neurosci. 2011;31:7753-62 pubmed publisher..We then used the lines to identify cell surface molecules, including Cadherin 6, CollagenXXV?1, and Matrix metalloprotease 17, that are selectively expressed by distinct subsets of ooDSGCs...
- Inoue T, Nakamura S, Osumi N. Fate mapping of the mouse prosencephalic neural plate. Dev Biol. 2000;219:373-83 pubmed
- Inoue Y, Asami J, Inoue T. Genetic labeling of mouse rhombomeres by Cadherin-6::EGFP-BAC transgenesis underscores the role of cadherins in hindbrain compartmentalization. Neurosci Res. 2009;63:2-9 pubmed publisherCadherin-6 (Cdh6) is a type II classic cadherin cell adhesion molecule whose expression delineates specific sets of rhombomeres during early mouse development...
- Inoue T, Inoue Y, Asami J, Izumi H, Nakamura S, Krumlauf R. Analysis of mouse Cdh6 gene regulation by transgenesis of modified bacterial artificial chromosomes. Dev Biol. 2008;315:506-20 pubmed publisher..Towards this end, we utilized bacterial artificial chromosomes (BACs) containing the Cdh6 gene, a mouse type II classic cadherin, to systematically identify cis-regulatory modules that govern its ..
- Kudo L, Karsten S, Chen J, Levitt P, Geschwind D. Genetic analysis of anterior posterior expression gradients in the developing mammalian forebrain. Cereb Cortex. 2007;17:2108-22 pubmed..These data provide an important set of new candidates for studies of cortical patterning and maturation. ..
- Dunne E, Spring C, Reheman A, Jin W, Berndt M, Newman D, et al. Cadherin 6 has a functional role in platelet aggregation and thrombus formation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:1724-31 pubmed publisher..b>Cadherin 6 is expressed on the platelet surface and contains an arginine-glycine-aspartic acid motif, suggesting that it ..
- Caronia Brown G, Yoshida M, Gulden F, Assimacopoulos S, Grove E. The cortical hem regulates the size and patterning of neocortex. Development. 2014;141:2855-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a much broader role for the hem in cortical development than previously recognized, and emphasize that two major signaling centers interact antagonistically to pattern cerebral cortex. ..
- Piñon M, Tuoc T, Ashery Padan R, Molnar Z, Stoykova A. Altered molecular regionalization and normal thalamocortical connections in cortex-specific Pax6 knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8724-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Pax6 expression gradients in cortical progenitors do not directly impart thalamocortical or corticofugal areal identity. ..
- Inoue T, Tanaka T, Suzuki S, Takeichi M. Cadherin-6 in the developing mouse brain: expression along restricted connection systems and synaptic localization suggest a potential role in neuronal circuitry. Dev Dyn. 1998;211:338-51 pubmed..Cadherin-6 (cad6) is one of such cadherins...