Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdh11
Description: cadherin 11
Alias: Cad11, OSF-4, cadherin-11, OB-cadherin, osteoblast cadherin
- Kawaguchi J, Azuma Y, Hoshi K, Kii I, Takeshita S, Ohta T, et al. Targeted disruption of cadherin-11 leads to a reduction in bone density in calvaria and long bone metaphyses. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:1265-71 pubmed
- Kiener H, Stipp C, Allen P, Higgins J, Brenner M. The cadherin-11 cytoplasmic juxtamembrane domain promotes alpha-catenin turnover at adherens junctions and intercellular motility. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2366-76 pubmed
- Schmahl J, Raymond C, Soriano P. PDGF signaling specificity is mediated through multiple immediate early genes. Nat Genet. 2007;39:52-60 pubmed..We conclude that these genes form a network that controls specific processes downstream of PDGF signaling. ..
- Richardson S, Starborg T, Lu Y, Humphries S, Meadows R, Kadler K. Tendon development requires regulation of cell condensation and cell shape via cadherin-11-mediated cell-cell junctions. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6218-28 pubmed..Our results show that tendon formation in the developing limb requires precise regulation of cell shape via cadherin-11-mediated cell-cell junctions and coaxial alignment of plasma membrane channels in longitudinally stacked cells. ..
- Kooi I, van Mil S, MacPherson D, Mol B, Moll A, Meijers Heijboer H, et al. Genomic landscape of retinoblastoma in Rb-/- p130-/- mice resembles human retinoblastoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2017;56:231-242 pubmed publisher..Additionally, focal loss of Cdh11 was observed in one Rb-/- p130-/- tumor, which enforces studies in human retinoblastoma that ..
- Hoffman I, Balling R. Chromosomal localization of the murine cadherin-11. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:304 pubmed
- Kido M, Obata S, Tanihara H, Rochelle J, Seldin M, Taketani S, et al. Molecular properties and chromosomal location of cadherin-8. Genomics. 1998;48:186-94 pubmed..Cadherin-8, as well as cadherin-11, was mapped to a specific region of chromosome 8 that also includes cadherins-1, -3, and -5. ..
- Marie P, Hay E, Modrowski D, Revollo L, Mbalaviele G, Civitelli R. Cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion and signaling in the skeleton. Calcif Tissue Int. 2014;94:46-54 pubmed publisher..Both cadherins are important for precursor commitment to the osteogenic lineage, and genetic ablation of Cdh2 and Cdh11 results in skeletal growth defects and impaired bone formation...
- Ikeya M, Fukushima K, Kawada M, Onishi S, Furuta Y, Yonemura S, et al. Cv2, functioning as a pro-BMP factor via twisted gastrulation, is required for early development of nephron precursors. Dev Biol. 2010;337:405-14 pubmed publisher..These findings revealed the molecular hierarchy between extracellular modifiers that orchestrate local BMP signal peaks in the organogenetic microenvironment. ..
- Pedroza M, Welschhans R, Agarwal S. Targeting of cadherin-11 decreases skin fibrosis in the tight skin-1 mouse model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0187109 pubmed publisher..Cadherin-11 (CDH11) expression is increased in fibrotic skin and lung tissue...
- Louvi A, Wassef M. Ectopic engrailed 1 expression in the dorsal midline causes cell death, abnormal differentiation of circumventricular organs and errors in axonal pathfinding. Development. 2000;127:4061-71 pubmed..The formation of the posterior commissure is also delayed, and errors in axonal pathfinding are frequent. In chick, ectopic expression of En by in ovo electroporation, affects growth and differentiation of the choroid plexus. ..
- Farber C, Kelly S, Baruch E, Yu D, Hua K, Nehrenberg D, et al. Identification of quantitative trait loci influencing skeletal architecture in mice: emergence of Cdh11 as a primary candidate gene regulating femoral morphology. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26:2174-83 pubmed publisher..of haplotype diversity across the QTL region and expression profiles of QTL genes suggested that of the 12, cadherin 11 (Cdh11) was most likely the causal gene...
- Ross S, McCord A, Jung C, Atan D, Mok S, Hemberg M, et al. Bhlhb5 and Prdm8 form a repressor complex involved in neuronal circuit assembly. Neuron. 2012;73:292-303 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Prdm8 is an obligate partner of Bhlhb5, forming a repressor complex that directs neural circuit assembly in part through the precise regulation of Cadherin-11. ..
- Nanba D, Nakanishi Y, Hieda Y. Establishment of cadherin-based intercellular junctions in the dermal papilla of the developing hair follicle. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2003;270:97-102 pubmed
- Sage J, Martin L, Rassoulzadegan M, Cuzin F. Germ cell-specific enhancer activity of a repeated element in a variable region of the mouse genome. Gene. 1998;221:85-92 pubmed..A large repeated element specific to this chromosome was found to overlap with one of the cadherin genes (Cad11)...
- Chang S, Kohlgruber A, Mizoguchi F, Michelet X, Wolf B, Wei K, et al. Stromal cell cadherin-11 regulates adipose tissue inflammation and diabetes. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3300-3312 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that stromal fibroblasts expressing cadherin-11 regulate adipose tissue inflammation and thus highlight cadherin-11 as a potential therapeutic target for the management of obesity. ..
- Chapouton P, Schuurmans C, Guillemot F, Gotz M. The transcription factor neurogenin 2 restricts cell migration from the cortex to the striatum. Development. 2001;128:5149-59 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that distinct cues located in the cortico-striatal boundary restrict cells in the dorsal and ventral telencephalon. ..
- Backer S, Hidalgo Sanchez M, Offner N, Portales Casamar E, Debant A, Fort P, et al. Trio controls the mature organization of neuronal clusters in the hindbrain. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10323-32 pubmed..Altogether, those results establish a link between Trio activity, the subsequent Rac1 activation, and neuronal clusters organization, as well as a possible recruitment of the Cadherin-11 adhesive receptor to form a complex with Trio. ..
- Alimperti S, You H, George T, Agarwal S, Andreadis S. Cadherin-11 regulates both mesenchymal stem cell differentiation into smooth muscle cells and the development of contractile function in vivo. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:2627-38 pubmed publisher..Notably, SMC-containing tissues (such as aorta and bladder) from cadherin-11-null (Cdh11(-/-)) mice showed significantly reduced levels of SMC proteins and exhibited diminished contractility compared ..
- Marthiens V, Padilla F, Lambert M, Mège R. Complementary expression and regulation of cadherins 6 and 11 during specific steps of motoneuron differentiation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;20:458-75 pubmed..These results strongly implicate cadherins 6 and 11 in the control of spinal motoneuron differentiation and segregation and in axoaxonal, axoglial, and glio-glial interactions during sensory-motor nerve progression. ..
- Inagaki M, Irie K, Ishizaki H, Tanaka Okamoto M, Morimoto K, Inoue E, et al. Roles of cell-adhesion molecules nectin 1 and nectin 3 in ciliary body development. Development. 2005;132:1525-37 pubmed
- Martinez Garay I, Gil Sanz C, Franco S, Espinosa A, Molnar Z, Mueller U. Cadherin 2/4 signaling via PTP1B and catenins is crucial for nucleokinesis during radial neuronal migration in the neocortex. Development. 2016;143:2121-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that cadherin-mediated signaling to the cytoskeleton is crucial for nucleokinesis of neocortical projection neurons during their radial migration. ..
- Miyaki S, Sato T, Inoue A, Otsuki S, Ito Y, Yokoyama S, et al. MicroRNA-140 plays dual roles in both cartilage development and homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1173-85 pubmed publisher..We show that miR-140 regulates cartilage development and homeostasis, and its loss contributes to the development of age-related OA-like changes. ..
- Cho E, Patterson L, Brookhiser W, Mah S, Kintner C, Dressler G. Differential expression and function of cadherin-6 during renal epithelium development. Development. 1998;125:803-12 pubmed..These data suggest that cadherin-6 function is required for the early aggregation of induced mesenchymal cells and their subsequent conversion to epithelium. ..
- Schneider D, Wu M, Le T, Cho S, Brenner M, Blackburn M, et al. Cadherin-11 contributes to pulmonary fibrosis: potential role in TGF-? production and epithelial to mesenchymal transition. FASEB J. 2012;26:503-12 pubmed publisher..Cadherin-11 (CDH11) is increased in wound healing and fibrotic skin...
- Larue L, Antos C, Butz S, Huber O, Delmas V, Dominis M, et al. A role for cadherins in tissue formation. Development. 1996;122:3185-94 pubmed..These results provide the first evidence that specific cadherins directly stimulate differentiation into certain types of tissues. ..
- Challen G, Martinez G, Davis M, Taylor D, Crowe M, Teasdale R, et al. Identifying the molecular phenotype of renal progenitor cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:2344-57 pubmed..These findings may assist in the isolation and characterization of potential renal stem cells for use in cellular therapies for kidney disease. ..
- Bowen C, Zhou J, Sung D, Butcher J. Cadherin-11 coordinates cellular migration and extracellular matrix remodeling during aortic valve maturation. Dev Biol. 2015;407:145-57 pubmed publisher..Transfection of Cad-11 depleted cells with constitutively active RhoA restored cell phenotypes. Together, these results identify cadherin-11 mediated adhesive signaling for proper remodeling of the embryonic semilunar valves. ..
- Lefkovics K, Mayer M, Bercsényi K, Szabo G, Lele Z. Comparative analysis of type II classic cadherin mRNA distribution patterns in the developing and adult mouse somatosensory cortex and hippocampus suggests significant functional redundancy. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:1387-1405 pubmed publisherThe type II classic cadherin subfamily contains a number of extensively studied genes (cdh6, cdh8, cdh11); however, the expression and function of the other members have only been partially described...
- Greenberg J, Thompson F, Brooks S, Shannon J, Akeson A. Slit and robo expression in the developing mouse lung. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:350-60 pubmed..The temporal and spatial distribution of Slit and Robo mRNAs indicate that these genes may direct the functional organization and differentiation of fetal lung mesenchyme. ..
- Hoerder Suabedissen A, Oeschger F, Krishnan M, Belgard T, Wang W, Lee S, et al. Expression profiling of mouse subplate reveals a dynamic gene network and disease association with autism and schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3555-60 pubmed publisher..Our report emphasizes the importance of the study of transient features of the developing brain to better understand neurodevelopmental disorders. ..
- Agarwal S, Lee D, Kiener H, Brenner M. Coexpression of two mesenchymal cadherins, cadherin 11 and N-cadherin, on murine fibroblast-like synoviocytes. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:1044-54 pubmed publisherb>Cadherin 11 has recently been identified on fibroblast-like synoviocytes (FLS), and studies in mice have demonstrated its importance in synovial lining architecture and inflammation. However, many tissues express more than 1 cadherin...
- Wang J, Cui X, Zhou Y, Xiang Q. Core-shell PLGA/collagen nanofibers loaded with recombinant FN/CDHs as bone tissue engineering scaffolds. Connect Tissue Res. 2014;55:292-8 pubmed publisher..It has been shown that both fibronectin (FN) and cadherin 11 (CDH) play important roles in the progress of osteogenesis and cell adhesion...
- Di Benedetto A, Watkins M, Grimston S, SALAZAR V, Donsante C, Mbalaviele G, et al. N-cadherin and cadherin 11 modulate postnatal bone growth and osteoblast differentiation by distinct mechanisms. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2640-8 pubmed publisher..bone mass in mice and retards osteoblast differentiation; whereas deletion of cadherin 11 (Cdh11), another osteoblast cadherin, leads to only modest osteopenia...
- Greenberg J, Thompson F, Brooks S, Shannon J, McCormick Shannon K, Cameron J, et al. Mesenchymal expression of vascular endothelial growth factors D and A defines vascular patterning in developing lung. Dev Dyn. 2002;224:144-53 pubmed..Our results demonstrate unique temporal and spatial expression of VEGF-D and specific VEGF-A isoforms during lung development and suggest these related factors have distinct functions in vascular and lymphatic patterning of the lung. ..
- Munro S, Blaschuk O. A comprehensive survey of the cadherins expressed in the testes of fetal, immature, and adult mice utilizing the polymerase chain reaction. Biol Reprod. 1996;55:822-7 pubmed..We speculate that these cadherins will be found to be intimately involved in mediating cell interactions during testicular development. ..
- Shaw L, Johnson P, Kimber S. Gene expression profiling of the developing mouse kidney and embryo. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010;46:155-65 pubmed publisher..5-E12.5 dpc), and Hoxc9, Ren1 and Wt1 expression was characteristic of mature renal cells. We demonstrated Cd24a, Cdh11, Mest, Scd2 and Sim2 were regulated during brain development, and Scd2, Cd24a and Sip1 expression was enriched in ..
- Esni F, Johansson B, Radice G, Semb H. Dorsal pancreas agenesis in N-cadherin- deficient mice. Dev Biol. 2001;238:202-12 pubmed..Further analysis demonstrated that the mechanism for the lack of a dorsal pancreas involves an essential function of N-cadherin as a survival factor in the dorsal pancreatic mesenchyme. ..
- Sage J, Yuan L, Martin L, Mattei M, Guenet J, Liu J, et al. The Sycp1 loci of the mouse genome: successive retropositions of a meiotic gene during the recent evolution of the genus. Genomics. 1997;44:118-26 pubmed..on chromosome 8, is inserted within the continuity of a moderately repeated element, in an intron of another gene (Cad11). The two retroposition events can be dated to distinct periods in the evolution of the Muridae...
- Kiener H, Lee D, Agarwal S, Brenner M. Cadherin-11 induces rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes to form lining layers in vitro. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1486-99 pubmed..Together, these studies implicate cadherin-11 in synovial tissue and lining layer formation and provide an in vitro system to model fibroblast-like synoviocyte behavior and function in organizing the synovial tissue. ..
- Koike T, Izumikawa T, Tamura J, Kitagawa H. Chondroitin sulfate-E fine-tunes osteoblast differentiation via ERK1/2, Smad3 and Smad1/5/8 signaling by binding to N-cadherin and cadherin-11. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;420:523-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that CS-E is a selective ligand for the potential CS receptors, N-cadherin and cadherin-11, leading to osteoblast differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells. ..
- Row S, Liu Y, Alimperti S, Agarwal S, Andreadis S. Cadherin-11 is a novel regulator of extracellular matrix synthesis and tissue mechanics. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:2950-61 pubmed publisherWe discovered that Cadherin-11 (CDH11) regulates collagen and elastin synthesis, both affecting the mechanical properties and contractile function of animal tissues...
- Padilla F, Broders F, Nicolet M, Mege R. Cadherins M, 11, and 6 expression patterns suggest complementary roles in mouse neuromuscular axis development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1998;11:217-33 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that various cadherins are differentially involved in muscle cell, Schwann cell, and motoneuron interactions and differentiation during neuromuscular development. ..
- Kimura Y, Matsunami H, Takeichi M. Expression of cadherin-11 delineates boundaries, neuromeres, and nuclei in the developing mouse brain. Dev Dyn. 1996;206:455-62 pubmedCadherin-11 (cad11 or OB-cadherin) was previously identified as a mesenchymal cell-cell adhesion molecule. Here we studied the expression of cad11 transcripts in developing brains derived from E11.5 to E16.5 mouse embryos...
- Akins M, Benson D, Greer C. Cadherin expression in the developing mouse olfactory system. J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:483-97 pubmed..CDH3 and CDH11 are expressed by olfactory ensheathing glia, which surround OSN axons in the outer OB...
- Manabe T, Togashi H, Uchida N, Suzuki S, Hayakawa Y, Yamamoto M, et al. Loss of cadherin-11 adhesion receptor enhances plastic changes in hippocampal synapses and modifies behavioral responses. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2000;15:534-46 pubmed..One of them, cadherin-11 (cad11), is expressed in the limbic system of the brain, most strongly in the hippocampus...
- Sung D, Bowen C, Vaidya K, Zhou J, Chapurin N, Recknagel A, et al. Cadherin-11 Overexpression Induces Extracellular Matrix Remodeling and Calcification in Mature Aortic Valves. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:1627-37 pubmed publisher..We conditionally overexpressed Cad-11 in murine heart valves using a novel double-transgenic Nfatc1(Cre);R26-Cad11(TglTg) mouse model...
- MARCIANO D, BRAKEMAN P, Lee C, Spivak N, Eastburn D, Bryant D, et al. p120 catenin is required for normal renal tubulogenesis and glomerulogenesis. Development. 2011;138:2099-109 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that p120ctn is required for early tubule and glomerular morphogenesis, as well as control of luminal diameter, probably through regulation of cadherins. ..
- Tondeleir D, Noelanders R, Bakkali K, Ampe C. Beta-actin is required for proper mouse neural crest ontogeny. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e85608 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the absence of beta-actin affects cadherin-11 and N-cadherin function, which could partly be alleviated by ROCK inhibition, situating the Rho-ROCK signaling in a feedback loop with cadherin-11. ..
- Marthiens V, Gavard J, Padilla F, Monnet C, Castellani V, Lambert M, et al. A novel function for cadherin-11 in the regulation of motor axon elongation and fasciculation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;28:715-26 pubmed..of axon elongation and fasciculation by evaluating the activity of a specific cadherin-11 homophilic ligand, cad11-Fc (cadherin-11 extracellular region fused to Fc fragment of IgG), on the length and organization of motor axons ..
- Nakagawa Y, Johnson J, O Leary D. Graded and areal expression patterns of regulatory genes and cadherins in embryonic neocortex independent of thalamocortical input. J Neurosci. 1999;19:10877-85 pubmed..of three different classes of transcription factors, and the type II classical cadherins Cad6, Cad8, and Cad11, which are expressed in graded or areal patterns, as well as layer-specific patterns, in the cortical plate...
- Munro S, Duclos A, Jackson A, Baines M, Blaschuk O. Characterization of cadherins expressed by murine thymocytes. Cell Immunol. 1996;169:309-12 pubmed..We speculate that cadherins will prove to play an essential role in the ontogeny of thymocytes. ..
- Kii I, Amizuka N, Shimomura J, Saga Y, Kudo A. Cell-cell interaction mediated by cadherin-11 directly regulates the differentiation of mesenchymal cells into the cells of the osteo-lineage and the chondro-lineage. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19:1840-9 pubmed..These results suggest that cadherin-11 directly regulates the differentiation of mesenchymal cells into the cells of the osteo-lineage and the chondro-lineage in a different manner from N-cadherin. ..
- Satcher R, Pan T, Cheng C, Lee Y, Lin S, Yu G, et al. Cadherin-11 in renal cell carcinoma bone metastasis. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89880 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Cadherin-11 may play a role in RCC bone metastasis. ..
- Duan X, Krishnaswamy A, De la Huerta I, Sanes J. Type II cadherins guide assembly of a direction-selective retinal circuit. Cell. 2014;158:793-807 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal cellular components of a retinal circuit and demonstrate roles of type II cadherins in synaptic choice and circuit function. ..
- Ortiz A, Lee Y, Yu G, Liu H, Lin S, Bilen M, et al. Angiomotin is a novel component of cadherin-11/Î²-catenin/p120 complex and is critical for cadherin-11-mediated cell migration. FASEB J. 2015;29:1080-91 pubmed publisher..Expression of human cadherin-11 (Cad11), also known as osteoblast cadherin, in prostate cancer increases the migration of prostate cancer cells...
- Shum E, Jones S, Shao A, Dumdie J, Krause M, Chan W, et al. The Antagonistic Gene Paralogs Upf3a and Upf3b Govern Nonsense-Mediated RNA Decay. Cell. 2016;165:382-95 pubmed publisher..Mice conditionally lacking UPF3A exhibit "hyper" NMD and display defects in embryogenesis and gametogenesis. Our results support a model in which UPF3A serves as a molecular rheostat that directs developmental events. ..
- Carmona F, Villanueva A, Vidal A, Muñoz C, Puertas S, Penin R, et al. Epigenetic disruption of cadherin-11 in human cancer metastasis. J Pathol. 2012;228:230-40 pubmed publisher..We found that CDH11 DNA methylation-associated transcriptional silencing occurred in the corresponding lymph node metastases of ..
- Estivill Torrus G, Vitalis T, Fernández Llebrez P, Price D. The transcription factor Pax6 is required for development of the diencephalic dorsal midline secretory radial glia that form the subcommissural organ. Mech Dev. 2001;109:215-24 pubmed..A correlation between the defects of SCO formation and altered R- and OB-cadherin expression patterns in the SCO is observed in mutants suggesting a role for cadherins in SCO development. ..
- Rinon A, Lazar S, Marshall H, Büchmann Møller S, Neufeld A, Elhanany Tamir H, et al. Cranial neural crest cells regulate head muscle patterning and differentiation during vertebrate embryogenesis. Development. 2007;134:3065-75 pubmed..We suggest that CNC cells control craniofacial development by regulating positional interactions with mesoderm-derived muscle progenitors that together shape the cranial musculoskeletal architecture in vertebrate embryos. ..