Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cav3
Description: caveolin 3
Alias: AI385751, Cav-3, M-cav, caveolin-3, M-caveolin
- Razani B, Schlegel A, Lisanti M. Caveolin proteins in signaling, oncogenic transformation and muscular dystrophy. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 12):2103-9 pubmed..Down-regulation of caveolin-1 protein expression leads to deregulated signaling and consequently tumorigenesis, whereas naturally occurring dominant-negative caveolin-3 mutations cause muscular dystrophy. ..
- Augustus A, Buchanan J, Gutman E, Rengo G, Pestell R, Fortina P, et al. Hearts lacking caveolin-1 develop hypertrophy with normal cardiac substrate metabolism. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2509-18 pubmed..In summary, targeted loss of Cav1 produces a unique model of cardiac hypertrophy with normal substrate utilization and expression of genes involved in energy metabolism. ..
- Tsutsumi Y, Horikawa Y, Jennings M, Kidd M, Niesman I, Yokoyama U, et al. Cardiac-specific overexpression of caveolin-3 induces endogenous cardiac protection by mimicking ischemic preconditioning. Circulation. 2008;118:1979-88 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that increased expression of caveolins, apparently via actions that depend on phosphoinositide 3-kinase, has the potential to protect hearts exposed to ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Okamoto T, Schlegel A, Scherer P, Lisanti M. Caveolins, a family of scaffolding proteins for organizing "preassembled signaling complexes" at the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:5419-22 pubmed
- Song K, Scherer P, Tang Z, Okamoto T, Li S, Chafel M, et al. Expression of caveolin-3 in skeletal, cardiac, and smooth muscle cells. Caveolin-3 is a component of the sarcolemma and co-fractionates with dystrophin and dystrophin-associated glycoproteins. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15160-5 pubmed..These results are consistent with previous immunoelectron microscopic studies demonstrating that dystrophin is localized to plasma membrane caveolae in smooth muscle cells. ..
- Quach N, Biressi S, Reichardt L, Keller C, Rando T. Focal adhesion kinase signaling regulates the expression of caveolin 3 and beta1 integrin, genes essential for normal myoblast fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3422-35 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, the normal increases in the transcript of caveolin 3 as well as an integrin subunit, the beta1D isoform, were suppressed by FAK inhibition...
- Hernandez Deviez D, Howes M, Laval S, Bushby K, Hancock J, Parton R. Caveolin regulates endocytosis of the muscle repair protein, dysferlin. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6476-88 pubmed..Patients with mutations in the CAV3 gene show dysferlin mislocalization in muscle cells...
- Horikawa Y, Patel H, Tsutsumi Y, Jennings M, Kidd M, Hagiwara Y, et al. Caveolin-3 expression and caveolae are required for isoflurane-induced cardiac protection from hypoxia and ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;44:123-30 pubmed..We conclude that caveolae and caveolin-3 are critical for volatile anesthetic-induced protection of the heart from ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Davis N, Yoffe C, Raviv S, Antes R, Berger J, Holzmann S, et al. Pax6 dosage requirements in iris and ciliary body differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;333:132-42 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings demonstrate the dosage-sensitive roles of Pax6 in the formation of both the CB and the iris...
- Balijepalli R, Foell J, Hall D, Hell J, Kamp T. Localization of cardiac L-type Ca(2+) channels to a caveolar macromolecular signaling complex is required for beta(2)-adrenergic regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7500-5 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that subcellular localization of L-type Ca(2+) channels to caveolar macromolecular signaling complexes is essential for regulation of the channels by specific signaling pathways. ..
- Fecchi K, Volonte D, Hezel M, Schmeck K, Galbiati F. Spatial and temporal regulation of GLUT4 translocation by flotillin-1 and caveolin-3 in skeletal muscle cells. FASEB J. 2006;20:705-7 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that flotillin-1 and caveolin-3 may regulate muscle energy metabolism through the spatial and temporal segregation of key components of the insulin signaling. ..
- Couchoux H, Bichraoui H, Chouabe C, Altafaj X, Bonvallet R, Allard B, et al. Caveolin-3 is a direct molecular partner of the Cav1.1 subunit of the skeletal muscle L-type calcium channel. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011;43:713-20 pubmed publisher..Mutations in the human CAV3 gene have been associated with several muscle disorders called caveolinopathies and among these, the P104L mutation ..
- Way M, Parton R. M-caveolin, a muscle-specific caveolin-related protein. FEBS Lett. 1995;376:108-12 pubmed..Epitope-tagged M-caveolin expressed in non-muscle cells was targetted to surface caveolae where it colocalized with endogenous VIP21-caveolin. M-caveolin may play a specialised role in the caveolae of muscle cells. ..
- Aravamudan B, Volonte D, Ramani R, Gursoy E, Lisanti M, London B, et al. Transgenic overexpression of caveolin-3 in the heart induces a cardiomyopathic phenotype. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:2777-88 pubmed..In addition, these findings suggest that caveolin-3 transgenic mice may represent a valid mouse model for studying the molecular mechanisms underlying cardiomyopathies associated with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. ..
- Parton R, Way M, Zorzi N, Stang E. Caveolin-3 associates with developing T-tubules during muscle differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:137-54 pubmed..The results suggest that caveolin-3 transiently associates with T-tubules during development and may be involved in the early development of the T-tubule system in muscle. ..
- Hagiwara Y, Sasaoka T, Araishi K, Imamura M, Yorifuji H, Nonaka I, et al. Caveolin-3 deficiency causes muscle degeneration in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:3047-54 pubmed..No apparent muscle degeneration was observed in heterozygous mutant mice, indicating that pathological changes caused by caveolin-3 gene disruption were inherited through the recessive form of genetic transmission. ..
- Park D, Woodman S, Schubert W, Cohen A, Frank P, Chandra M, et al. Caveolin-1/3 double-knockout mice are viable, but lack both muscle and non-muscle caveolae, and develop a severe cardiomyopathic phenotype. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:2207-17 pubmed..Thus, dual ablation of both Cav-1 and Cav-3 genes in mice leads to a pleiotropic defect in caveolae formation and severe cardiomyopathy. ..
- Sotgia F, Bonuccelli G, Minetti C, Woodman S, Capozza F, Kemp R, et al. Phosphofructokinase muscle-specific isoform requires caveolin-3 expression for plasma membrane recruitment and caveolar targeting: implications for the pathogenesis of caveolin-related muscle diseases. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:2619-34 pubmed
- Merrick D, Stadler L, Larner D, Smith J. Muscular dystrophy begins early in embryonic development deriving from stem cell loss and disrupted skeletal muscle formation. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:374-88 pubmed publisher..earlier in mdx mutants, which lack a functional form of dystrophin, than in cav-3(-/-) mutants, which lack the Cav3 gene that encodes the protein caveolin-3; this finding is consistent with the milder phenotype of LGMD-1c, a ..
- Markandeya Y, Phelan L, Woon M, Keefe A, Reynolds C, August B, et al. Caveolin-3 Overexpression Attenuates Cardiac Hypertrophy via Inhibition of T-type Ca2+ Current Modulated by Protein Kinase CÎ± in Cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:22085-100 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that stable Cav-3 expression is essential for protecting the signaling mechanisms in pharmacologically and pressure overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Mermelstein C, Martins E, Portilho D, Costa M. Association between the muscle-specific proteins desmin and caveolin-3 in muscle cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2007;327:343-51 pubmed..We have thus shown, for the first time, an association between the intermediate filament protein desmin and caveolin-3 in myogenic cells. ..
- Ohsawa Y, Okada T, Nishimatsu S, Ishizaki M, Suga T, Fujino M, et al. An inhibitor of transforming growth factor beta type I receptor ameliorates muscle atrophy in a mouse model of caveolin 3-deficient muscular dystrophy. Lab Invest. 2012;92:1100-14 pubmed publisherSkeletal muscle expressing Pro104Leu mutant caveolin 3 (CAV3(P104L)) in mouse becomes atrophied and serves as a model of autosomal dominant limb-girdle muscular dystrophy 1C...
- Alday A, Urrutia J, Gallego M, Casis O. ?1-adrenoceptors regulate only the caveolae-located subpopulation of cardiac K(V)4 channels. Channels (Austin). 2010;4:168-78 pubmed..Therefore, both groups of preassembled proteins are maintained in close proximity by caveolin-3. A different I(to) channel population localizes in non-caveolar membrane rafts and is not sensitive to ?1-adrenergic regulation. ..
- Vaghy P, Fang J, Wu W, Vaghy L. Increased caveolin-3 levels in mdx mouse muscles. FEBS Lett. 1998;431:125-7 pubmed..These data suggest that induction of caveolin-3 occurs and this may at least partly be responsible for increased number of caveolae, altered nNOS-caveolin cycle, and regeneration of dystrophic muscles. ..
- Das K, Lewis R, Scherer P, Lisanti M. The membrane-spanning domains of caveolins-1 and -2 mediate the formation of caveolin hetero-oligomers. Implications for the assembly of caveolae membranes in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18721-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that these unusual membrane-spanning regions found in the caveolin family play a specific role in protein-protein interactions. ..
- Schubert W, Sotgia F, Cohen A, Capozza F, Bonuccelli G, Bruno C, et al. Caveolin-1(-/-)- and caveolin-2(-/-)-deficient mice both display numerous skeletal muscle abnormalities, with tubular aggregate formation. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:316-33 pubmed..Consistent with this hypothesis, skeletal muscle isolated from male Cav-3(-/-) mice did not show any of these abnormalities. As such, this is the first study linking stem cells with the genesis of these intriguing muscle defects. ..
- Ohsawa Y, Toko H, Katsura M, Morimoto K, Yamada H, Ichikawa Y, et al. Overexpression of P104L mutant caveolin-3 in mice develops hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with enhanced contractility in association with increased endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:151-7 pubmed..Surprisingly, cardiac muscle showed activation of eNOS catalytic activity without increased expression of all NOS isoforms. These data suggest that a moderate increase in eNOS activity associated with loss of caveolin-3 results in HCM. ..
- Chaudhary K, Cho W, Yang F, Samokhvalov V, El Sikhry H, Daniel E, et al. Effect of ischemia reperfusion injury and epoxyeicosatrienoic acids on caveolin expression in mouse myocardium. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2013;61:258-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that ischemia-reperfusion injury causes loss of Cav-1 and caveolins, and EETs-mediated cardioprotection involves preservation of Cav-1. ..
- Wang Y, Wang X, Jasmin J, Lau W, Li R, Yuan Y, et al. Essential role of caveolin-3 in adiponectin signalsome formation and adiponectin cardioprotection. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:934-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrated for the first time that Cav-3 plays an essential role in APN transmembrane signaling and APN anti-ischemic/cardioprotective actions. ..
- Augustus A, Buchanan J, Addya S, Rengo G, Pestell R, Fortina P, et al. Substrate uptake and metabolism are preserved in hypertrophic caveolin-3 knockout hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H657-66 pubmed publisherCaveolin-3 (Cav3), the primary protein component of caveolae in muscle cells, regulates numerous signaling pathways including insulin receptor signaling and facilitates free fatty acid (FA) uptake by interacting with several FA transport ..
- Trinidad J, Cohen J. Neuregulin inhibits acetylcholine receptor aggregation in myotubes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31622-8 pubmed..We propose that this novel action of neuregulin regulates synaptic competition at the developing neuromuscular junction. ..
- Tsutsumi Y, Kawaraguchi Y, Niesman I, Patel H, Roth D. Opioid-induced preconditioning is dependent on caveolin-3 expression. Anesth Analg. 2010;111:1117-21 pubmed publisher..Our results show that opioid-induced preconditioning is dependent on Cav-3 expression and that endogenous protection in Cav-3 overexpressing mice is opioid dependent. ..
- Pfeiffer E, Wright A, Edwards A, Stowe J, McNall K, Tan J, et al. Caveolae in ventricular myocytes are required for stretch-dependent conduction slowing. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2014;76:265-74 pubmed publisher..or by GsMTx-4 peptide, but was inhibited when caveolae were disrupted via genetic deletion of caveolin-3 (Cav3 KO) or membrane cholesterol depletion by methyl-Î²-cyclodextrin...
- Galbiati F, Volonte D, Chu J, Li M, Fine S, Fu M, et al. Transgenic overexpression of caveolin-3 in skeletal muscle fibers induces a Duchenne-like muscular dystrophy phenotype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9689-94 pubmed..The Duchenne-like phenotype of caveolin-3 transgenic mice will provide an important mouse model for understanding the pathogenesis of DMD in humans. ..
- Kunert Keil C, Gredes T, Lucke S, Morgenstern S, Mielczarek A, Sporniak Tutak K, et al. Caveolin-1, caveolin-3 and VEGF expression in the masticatory muscles of mdx mice. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2011;49:291-8 pubmed..The angiogenesis seems to be unaffected in the jaw muscles of mdx mice. We speculate that the increased caveolin expression could cause extensive and efficient muscle regeneration. ..
- Folco E, Liu G, Koren G. Caveolin-3 and SAP97 form a scaffolding protein complex that regulates the voltage-gated potassium channel Kv1.5. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;287:H681-90 pubmed..5. We conclude that the association of Cav-3 with SAP97 may constitute the nucleation site for the assembly of macromolecular complexes containing potassium channels. ..
- Madaro L, Marrocco V, Fiore P, Aulino P, Smeriglio P, Adamo S, et al. PKC? signaling is required for myoblast fusion by regulating the expression of caveolin-3 and ?1D integrin upstream focal adhesion kinase. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1409-19 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that PKC signaling regulates myoblast fusion by regulating, at least in part, FAK activity, essential for profusion gene expression...
- Sunada Y, Hase A, Ohi H, Hosono T, Arata S, Higuchi S, et al. Transgenic mice expressing mutant caveolin-3 show severe myopathy associated with increased nNOS activity. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:173-8 pubmed..Interestingly, we also found a great increase of nNOS activity in their skeletal muscle, which, we propose, may play a role in muscle fiber degeneration in caveolin-3 deficiency. ..
- Engelman J, Zhang X, Galbiati F, Volonte D, Sotgia F, Pestell R, et al. Molecular genetics of the caveolin gene family: implications for human cancers, diabetes, Alzheimer disease, and muscular dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;63:1578-87 pubmed
- Israeli Rosenberg S, Chen C, Li R, Deussen D, Niesman I, Okada H, et al. Caveolin modulates integrin function and mechanical activation in the cardiomyocyte. FASEB J. 2015;29:374-84 pubmed publisher..1 localization, complex formation, activation state, and signaling were analyzed using wild-type, Cav3 knockout, and Cav3 CM-specific transgenic heart and myocyte samples...
- Cuadrado I, Castejon B, Martín A, Saura M, Reventun Torralba P, Zamorano J, et al. Nitric Oxide Induces Cardiac Protection by Preventing Extracellular Matrix Degradation through the Complex Caveolin-3/EMMPRIN in Cardiac Myocytes. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0162912 pubmed publisher..8±3 vs Caveolin-3 KO+DEA-NO:33.7±5), or in the expression of MMPs, suggesting that stabilization of the complex Caveolin-3/LG-EMMPRIN may play a significant role in the cardioprotective effect of NO against IR. ..
- Shang L, Chen T, Deng Y, Huang Y, Huang Y, Xian J, et al. Caveolin-3 promotes glycometabolism, growth and proliferation in muscle cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0189004 pubmed publisherCaveolin-3 (CAV3) protein is known to be expressed specifically in various myocytes, but its physiological function remains unclear...
- Deng Y, Huang Y, Lu W, Huang Y, Xian J, Wei H, et al. The Caveolin-3 P104L mutation of LGMD-1C leads to disordered glucose metabolism in muscle cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;486:218-223 pubmed publisherCaveolin-3 (CAV3) is a muscle specific protein that plays an important role in maintaining muscle health and glucose homeostasis in vivo...
- Wyse B, Prior I, Qian H, Morrow I, Nixon S, Muncke C, et al. Caveolin interacts with the angiotensin II type 1 receptor during exocytic transport but not at the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23738-46 pubmed..Expression of an N-terminally truncated caveolin-3, CavDGV, that localizes to lipid bodies, or a point mutant, Cav3-P104L, that accumulates in the Golgi mislocalizes AT1-R to lipid bodies and Golgi, respectively...
- Capanni C, Sabatelli P, Mattioli E, Ognibene A, Columbaro M, Lattanzi G, et al. Dysferlin in a hyperCKaemic patient with caveolin 3 mutation and in C2C12 cells after p38 MAP kinase inhibition. Exp Mol Med. 2003;35:538-44 pubmed..studies have reported that dysferlin is implicated in membrane repair mechanism and coimmunoprecipitates with caveolin 3 in human skeletal muscle...
- Schlegel A, Arvan P, Lisanti M. Caveolin-1 binding to endoplasmic reticulum membranes and entry into the regulated secretory pathway are regulated by serine phosphorylation. Protein sorting at the level of the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:4398-408 pubmed..We conclude that caveolin-1 phosphorylation on invariant serine residue 80 is required for endoplasmic reticulum retention and entry into the regulated secretory pathway. ..
- Sotgia F, Razani B, Bonuccelli G, Schubert W, Battista M, Lee H, et al. Intracellular retention of glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-linked proteins in caveolin-deficient cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3905-26 pubmed..e., lung endothelial and renal epithelial cells) and Cav-3 null mice (skeletal muscle fibers). ..
- Mukhopadhyay P, Greene R, Zacharias W, Weinrich M, Singh S, Young W, et al. Developmental gene expression profiling of mammalian, fetal orofacial tissue. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2004;70:912-26 pubmed..This gene expression profiling study identifies a number of potentially unique developmental participants and serves as a valuable aid in deciphering the complex molecular mechanisms crucial for mammalian orofacial development. ..
- Carotenuto F, Minieri M, Monego G, Fiaccavento R, Bertoni A, Sinigaglia F, et al. A diet supplemented with ALA-rich flaxseed prevents cardiomyocyte apoptosis by regulating caveolin-3 expression. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;100:422-31 pubmed publisher..survival cascade. This study unveiled the Cav-3 pivotal role in defending cardiomyocytes against the TNF pro-apoptotic action and the ALA capacity to regulate this mechanism preventing cardiac degenerative diseases. ..
- Razani B, Park D, Miyanaga Y, Ghatpande A, Cohen J, Wang X, et al. Molecular cloning and developmental expression of the caveolin gene family in the amphibian Xenopus laevis. Biochemistry. 2002;41:7914-24 pubmed..This report is the first detailed study of caveolin gene expression in a developing embryo. ..
- Fame R, Dehay C, Kennedy H, Macklis J. Subtype-Specific Genes that Characterize Subpopulations of Callosal Projection Neurons in Mouse Identify Molecularly Homologous Populations in Macaque Cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2017;27:1817-1830 pubmed publisher..Together, these data inform future studies regarding CPN subpopulations that are unique to primates and rodents, and indicate putative evolutionary relationships. ..
- Naito D, Ogata T, Hamaoka T, Nakanishi N, Miyagawa K, Maruyama N, et al. The coiled-coil domain of MURC/cavin-4 is involved in membrane trafficking of caveolin-3 in cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015;309:H2127-36 pubmed publisher..Among caveolins, caveolin-3 (Cav3) is exclusively expressed in muscle cells, similar to MURC/cavin-4...
- Lau P, Nixon S, Parton R, Muscat G. RORalpha regulates the expression of genes involved in lipid homeostasis in skeletal muscle cells: caveolin-3 and CPT-1 are direct targets of ROR. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36828-40 pubmed..In conclusion, we speculate that ROR agonists would increase fatty acid catabolism in muscle and suggest selective activators of ROR may have therapeutic utility in the treatment of obesity and atherosclerosis. ..
- Alcalay Y, Hochhauser E, Kliminski V, Dick J, Zahalka M, Parnes D, et al. Popeye domain containing 1 (Popdc1/Bves) is a caveolae-associated protein involved in ischemia tolerance. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71100 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Popdc1 is a caveolae-associated protein important for the preservation of caveolae structural and functional integrity and for heart protection. ..
- Hezel M, de Groat W, Galbiati F. Caveolin-3 promotes nicotinic acetylcholine receptor clustering and regulates neuromuscular junction activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:302-10 pubmed publisher..Together, these data identify caveolin-3 as a critical component of the signaling machinery that drives nicotinic acetylcholine receptor clustering and controls neuromuscular junction function. ..
- Thomas N, Jasmin J, Lisanti M, Iacobas D. Sex differences in expression and subcellular localization of heart rhythm determinant proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;406:117-22 pubmed publisher..These studies extend our previous findings in microarray studies to demonstrate that sex differences in gene expression are likely to confer distinct functional properties on male and female myocardium. ..
- Ohsawa Y, Hagiwara H, Nakatani M, Yasue A, Moriyama K, Murakami T, et al. Muscular atrophy of caveolin-3-deficient mice is rescued by myostatin inhibition. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2924-34 pubmed..Myostatin inhibition may be a promising therapy for LGMD1C patients. ..
- Gervasio O, Whitehead N, Yeung E, Phillips W, Allen D. TRPC1 binds to caveolin-3 and is regulated by Src kinase - role in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2246-55 pubmed publisher..Because ROS production is increased in mdx/DMD, these results suggest that a ROS-Src-TRPC1/caveolin-3 pathway contributes to the pathogenesis of mdx/DMD. ..
- Fekete A, Johnston J, Delaney K. Presynaptic T-type Ca2+ channels modulate dendrodendritic mitral-mitral and mitral-periglomerular connections in mouse olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2014;34:14032-45 pubmed publisherMitral cells express low-voltage activated Cav3.3 channels on their distal apical tuft dendrites (McKay et al., 2006; Johnston and Delaney, 2010)...
- Ralston E, Ploug T. Caveolin-3 is associated with the T-tubules of mature skeletal muscle fibers. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:510-5 pubmed..In neither domain of the muscle surface does caveolin-3 colocalize with the glucose transporter GLUT4 and there is no evidence for internalization of the caveolae in muscle. ..
- Way M, Parton R. M-caveolin, a muscle-specific caveolin-related protein. FEBS Lett. 1996;378:108-12 pubmed..Epitope-tagged M-caveolin expressed in non-muscle cells was targetted to surface caveolae where it colocalized with endogenous VIP21-caveolin. M-caveolin may play a specialised role in the caveolae of muscle cells. ..
- Oshikawa J, Otsu K, Toya Y, Tsunematsu T, Hankins R, Kawabe J, et al. Insulin resistance in skeletal muscles of caveolin-3-null mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12670-5 pubmed..Caveolin-3 (Cav3) is a muscle-specific subtype of caveolin, an example of a scaffolding protein found within membranes...
- Lei S, Li H, Xu J, Liu Y, Gao X, Wang J, et al. Hyperglycemia-induced protein kinase C ?2 activation induces diastolic cardiac dysfunction in diabetic rats by impairing caveolin-3 expression and Akt/eNOS signaling. Diabetes. 2013;62:2318-28 pubmed publisher..Prevention of excessive PKC?2 activation attenuated cardiac diastolic dysfunction by restoring Cav-3 expression and subsequently rescuing Akt/eNOS/NO signaling. ..
- Rosen C, Ackert Bicknell C, Adamo M, Shultz K, Rubin J, Donahue L, et al. Congenic mice with low serum IGF-I have increased body fat, reduced bone mineral density, and an altered osteoblast differentiation program. Bone. 2004;35:1046-58 pubmed..Congenic mice are useful models not only for mapping genes related to bone mass but also for elucidating the biology underlying various skeletal phenotypes associated with more subtle manipulation of the mouse genome...
- Xu G, Xu C, Chen H, Liu S, Teng X, Xu G, et al. Association of caveolin-3 and cholecystokinin A receptor with cholesterol gallstone disease in mice. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:9513-8 pubmed publisherTo investigate the role of caveolin-3 (CAV3) and cholecystokinin A receptor (CCKAR) in cholesterol gallstone disease (CGD). To establish a mouse model of CGD, male C57BL/6 mice were fed with a lithogenic diet containing 1...
- Niesman I, Schilling J, Shapiro L, Kellerhals S, Bonds J, Kleschevnikov A, et al. Traumatic brain injury enhances neuroinflammation and lesion volume in caveolin deficient mice. J Neuroinflammation. 2014;11:39 pubmed publisher..Cav-1 and Cav-3 KO exhibited enhanced lesion volume and cytokine/chemokine production after CCI. These findings suggest that Cav isoforms may regulate neuroinflammatory responses and neuroprotection following TBI. ..
- Engelman J, Zhang X, Galbiati F, Lisanti M. Chromosomal localization, genomic organization, and developmental expression of the murine caveolin gene family (Cav-1, -2, and -3). Cav-1 and Cav-2 genes map to a known tumor suppressor locus (6-A2/7q31). FEBS Lett. 1998;429:330-6 pubmed..As the expression of all three caveolins in the adult is highest in terminally differentiated cell types, this is consistent with the idea that caveolins may be viewed as late markers of differentiation during embryogenesis. ..
- Tang Z, Scherer P, Lisanti M. The primary sequence of murine caveolin reveals a conserved consensus site for phosphorylation by protein kinase C. Gene. 1994;147:299-300 pubmed..In addition, this first step should facilitate the use of the mouse as a genetic system for elucidating the role of caveolin in caveolar functioning. ..
- Tran C, Stary C, Schilling J, Bentley B, Patel H, Roth D. Role of caveolin-3 in lymphocyte activation. Life Sci. 2015;121:35-9 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to demonstrate that Cav-3 may be a novel participant in B-cell expression, T-cell cytokine production and activation of inflammation. ..
- Kim E, Chen L, Ma Y, Yu W, Chang J, Moskowitz I, et al. Enhanced desumoylation in murine hearts by overexpressed SENP2 leads to congenital heart defects and cardiac dysfunction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012;52:638-49 pubmed publisher..5 in vivo. Our findings indicate the indispensability of a balanced SUMO pathway for proper cardiac development and function. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Post-translational Modification SI'. ..
- Wong J, Baddeley D, Bushong E, Yu Z, Ellisman M, Hoshijima M, et al. Nanoscale distribution of ryanodine receptors and caveolin-3 in mouse ventricular myocytes: dilation of t-tubules near junctions. Biophys J. 2013;104:L22-4 pubmed publisher..super-resolution light microscopy (LM) imaging of the distribution of ryanodine receptors (RyRs) and caveolin-3 (CAV3) in mouse ventricular myocytes. Quantitative analysis of data at the surface sarcolemma showed that 4...
- Sotgia F, Casimiro M, Bonuccelli G, Liu M, Whitaker Menezes D, Er O, et al. Loss of caveolin-3 induces a lactogenic microenvironment that is protective against mammary tumor formation. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:613-29 pubmed publisher..Our current studies have broad implications for using the lactogenic microenvironment as a paradigm to discover new therapies for the prevention and/or treatment of human breast cancers. ..