Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cav2
Description: caveolin 2
Alias: AI447843, caveolin-2
- Sowa G, Xie L, Xu L, Sessa W. Serine 23 and 36 phosphorylation of caveolin-2 is differentially regulated by targeting to lipid raft/caveolae and in mitotic endothelial cells. Biochemistry. 2008;47:101-11 pubmed..The latter data suggests a possible involvement of serine 36-phosphorylated caveolin-2 in modulating mitosis. ..
- Jasmin J, Malhotra S, Singh Dhallu M, Mercier I, Rosenbaum D, Lisanti M. Caveolin-1 deficiency increases cerebral ischemic injury. Circ Res. 2007;100:721-9 pubmed..Importantly, genetic ablation of the Cav-1 gene in mice results in increased cerebral volume of infarction. Mechanistically, Cav-1 KO ischemic brains showed impaired angiogenesis and increased apoptotic cell death. ..
- Le Lay S, Kurzchalia T. Getting rid of caveolins: phenotypes of caveolin-deficient animals. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1746:322-33 pubmed..The aim of this review is to give a broad overview of the phenotypes described for the caveolin-deficient mice and to link them to the numerous functions so far assigned to caveolins/caveolae. ..
- Sowa G, Pypaert M, Fulton D, Sessa W. The phosphorylation of caveolin-2 on serines 23 and 36 modulates caveolin-1-dependent caveolae formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:6511-6 pubmed..Thus, the phosphorylation of caveolin-2 is a novel mechanism to regulate the dynamics of caveolae assembly. ..
- Woodman S, Park D, Cohen A, Cheung M, Chandra M, Shirani J, et al. Caveolin-3 knock-out mice develop a progressive cardiomyopathy and show hyperactivation of the p42/44 MAPK cascade. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38988-97 pubmed..Taken together, our data argue that loss of Cav-3 expression is sufficient to induce a molecular program leading to cardiac myocyte hypertrophy and cardiomyopathy. ..
- Lee H, Park D, Wang X, Scherer P, Schwartz P, Lisanti M. Src-induced phosphorylation of caveolin-2 on tyrosine 19. Phospho-caveolin-2 (Tyr(P)19) is localized near focal adhesions, remains associated with lipid rafts/caveolae, but no longer forms a high molecular mass hetero-oligomer with caveolin-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34556-67 pubmed..Furthermore, our co-immunoprecipitation experiments show that caveolin-2 and Ras-GAP are constitutively associated in c-Src expressing NIH-3T3 cells, but not in untransfected NIH-3T3 cells. ..
- Gargalovic P, Dory L. Caveolin-1 and caveolin-2 expression in mouse macrophages. High density lipoprotein 3-stimulated secretion and a lack of significant subcellular co-localization. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:26164-70 pubmed
- Okamoto T, Schlegel A, Scherer P, Lisanti M. Caveolins, a family of scaffolding proteins for organizing "preassembled signaling complexes" at the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:5419-22 pubmed
- Sun X, Liu Z, Chen H, Beardsley A, Qi Q, Liu J. A conserved sequence in caveolin-1 is both necessary and sufficient for caveolin polarity and cell directional migration. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3681-9 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we show that expression of this sequence is both necessary and sufficient to promote cell directional migration. Thus, our results support the conclusion that Cav-1 polarity is critical for cell directional migration. ..
- Abel B, Willoughby C, Jang S, Cooper L, Xie L, Vo Ransdell C, et al. N-terminal tyrosine phosphorylation of caveolin-2 negates anti-proliferative effect of transforming growth factor beta in endothelial cells. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3317-23 pubmed publisher..Thus tyrosine-phosphorylated Cav-2 counteracts anti-proliferative effect of TGF-beta in endothelial cells. ..
- Schubert W, Sotgia F, Cohen A, Capozza F, Bonuccelli G, Bruno C, et al. Caveolin-1(-/-)- and caveolin-2(-/-)-deficient mice both display numerous skeletal muscle abnormalities, with tubular aggregate formation. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:316-33 pubmed..Consistent with this hypothesis, skeletal muscle isolated from male Cav-3(-/-) mice did not show any of these abnormalities. As such, this is the first study linking stem cells with the genesis of these intriguing muscle defects. ..
- Razani B, Schlegel A, Lisanti M. Caveolin proteins in signaling, oncogenic transformation and muscular dystrophy. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 12):2103-9 pubmed..Down-regulation of caveolin-1 protein expression leads to deregulated signaling and consequently tumorigenesis, whereas naturally occurring dominant-negative caveolin-3 mutations cause muscular dystrophy. ..
- Maceckova M, Martiskova H, Koudelka A, Kubala L, Lojek A, Pekarova M. Bone marrow-derived macrophages exclusively expressed caveolin-2: The role of inflammatory activators and hypoxia. Immunobiology. 2015;220:1266-74 pubmed publisher..We concluded that caveolin-2 is most probably involved in regulation of pro-inflammatory responses of BMDMs, triggered via activation of ERK1/2. ..
- Brainard A, Miller A, Martens J, England S. Maxi-K channels localize to caveolae in human myometrium: a role for an actin-channel-caveolin complex in the regulation of myometrial smooth muscle K+ current. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;289:C49-57 pubmed..These data indicate that the actin cytoskeleton is involved as part of a caveolar complex in the regulation of myometrial maxi-K channel function. ..
- Fernando C, Liu Y, Sowa G, Segal S. Attenuated rapid onset vasodilation with greater force production in skeletal muscle of caveolin-2-/- mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2016;311:H415-25 pubmed publisherCaveolin-2 (Cav2) is a major protein component of caveolae in membranes of vascular smooth muscle and endothelium, yet its absence alters the ultrastructure of skeletal muscle fibers...
- Woodman S, Ashton A, Schubert W, Lee H, Williams T, Medina F, et al. Caveolin-1 knockout mice show an impaired angiogenic response to exogenous stimuli. Am J Pathol. 2003;162:2059-68 pubmed..These results provide novel evidence that Cav-1 and caveolae play an important positive role in the process of pathological angiogenesis in vivo. ..
- Krasteva G, Pfeil U, Drab M, Kummer W, Konig P. Caveolin-1 and -2 in airway epithelium: expression and in situ association as detected by FRET-CLSM. Respir Res. 2006;7:108 pubmed..In addition to their physiological role, they may be involved in airway infection. ..
- Cho W, Chow A, Schulz R, Daniel E. Matrix metalloproteinase-2, caveolins, focal adhesion kinase and c-Kit in cells of the mouse myocardium. J Cell Mol Med. 2007;11:1069-86 pubmed..Also, MMP-2 is closely associated with FAK at FB and c-Kit at ICLC. Thus, Cav-1 expression is not necessary for Cav-2 expression. Cav-3 or Cav-3 with Cav-2 has the capability to make Cav. ..
- D Orlando C, Guzzi F, Gravati M, Biella G, Toselli M, Meneveri R, et al. Retinoic acid- and phorbol ester-induced neuronal differentiation down-regulates caveolin expression in GnRH neurons. J Neurochem. 2008;104:1577-87 pubmed..We conclude that caveolin expression in GN11 neurons is down-regulated upon differentiation and up-regulated by estrogen receptor beta. ..
- Kamiya K, Yum S, Kurebayashi N, Muraki M, Ogawa K, Karasawa K, et al. Assembly of the cochlear gap junction macromolecular complex requires connexin 26. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:1598-607 pubmed publisher..area and protein level and was associated with excessive endocytosis with increased expression of caveolin 1 and caveolin 2. Furthermore, expression of deafness-associated CX26 and CX30 in cell culture resulted in visible disruption of ..
- Kogo H, Ishiguro K, Kuwaki S, Fujimoto T. Identification of a splice variant of mouse caveolin-2 mRNA encoding an isoform lacking the C-terminal domain. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;401:108-14 pubmed..The result confirmed the necessity of the C-terminal domain of caveolin-2 for the caveolar localization, and showed the existence of a novel caveolin-2 isoform, which is not recruited to caveolae even in the presence of caveolin-1. ..
- Wu K, Pan H, Yin H, Chen M, Lu S, Lin C. Change in P-glycoprotein and caveolin protein expression in brain striatum capillaries in New Zealand obese mice with type 2 diabetes. Life Sci. 2009;85:775-81 pubmed publisher..To investigate the expression of P-gp and caveolins in brain striatum capillaries in inbred mice with type 2 diabetes...
- de Almeida C, Witkiewicz A, Jasmin J, Tanowitz H, Sotgia F, Frank P, et al. Caveolin-2-deficient mice show increased sensitivity to endotoxemia. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2151-61 pubmed
- Scherer P, Okamoto T, Chun M, Nishimoto I, Lodish H, Lisanti M. Identification, sequence, and expression of caveolin-2 defines a caveolin gene family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:131-5 pubmed..However, caveolin-1 and caveolin-2 differ in their functional interactions with heterotrimeric G proteins, possibly explaining why caveolin-1 and -2 are coexpressed within a single cell. ..
- Zaas D, Duncan M, Li G, Wright J, Abraham S. Pseudomonas invasion of type I pneumocytes is dependent on the expression and phosphorylation of caveolin-2. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4864-72 pubmed..aeruginosa to invade MLE-12 cells. In addition, the lipid raft-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of caveolin-2 appeared to be a critical regulator of P. aeruginosa invasion. ..
- Das K, Lewis R, Scherer P, Lisanti M. The membrane-spanning domains of caveolins-1 and -2 mediate the formation of caveolin hetero-oligomers. Implications for the assembly of caveolae membranes in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18721-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that these unusual membrane-spanning regions found in the caveolin family play a specific role in protein-protein interactions. ..
- Park D, Lee H, Frank P, Razani B, Nguyen A, Parlow A, et al. Caveolin-1-deficient mice show accelerated mammary gland development during pregnancy, premature lactation, and hyperactivation of the Jak-2/STAT5a signaling cascade. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3416-30 pubmed..In addition, the Ras-p42/44 MAPK cascade is hyper-activated. Because a similar premature lactation phenotype is observed in SOCS1 (-/-) null mice, we conclude that caveolin-1 is a novel suppressor of cytokine signaling. ..
- Fusco C, Micale L, Egorov M, Monti M, D Addetta E, Augello B, et al. The E3-ubiquitin ligase TRIM50 interacts with HDAC6 and p62, and promotes the sequestration and clearance of ubiquitinated proteins into the aggresome. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40440 pubmed publisher..We speculate that when the proteasome activity is impaired, TRIM50 fails to drive its substrates to the proteasome-mediated degradation, and promotes their storage in the aggresome for successive clearance...
- Wang H, Shun M, Dickson A, ENGELMAN A. Embryonic Lethality Due to Arrested Cardiac Development in Psip1/Hdgfrp2 Double-Deficient Mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0137797 pubmed publisher..We accordingly speculate that deregulated Tgf-Î² signaling was a contributing factor to the VSD and prenatal lethality of Psip1/Hdgfrp2 double-deficient mice. ..
- Scherer P, Lewis R, Volonte D, Engelman J, Galbiati F, Couet J, et al. Cell-type and tissue-specific expression of caveolin-2. Caveolins 1 and 2 co-localize and form a stable hetero-oligomeric complex in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29337-46 pubmed..These results suggest that expression levels of caveolins 1, 2, and 3 can be independently up-regulated or down-regulated in response to a variety of distinct cellular cues. ..
- Engelman J, Zhang X, Galbiati F, Lisanti M. Chromosomal localization, genomic organization, and developmental expression of the murine caveolin gene family (Cav-1, -2, and -3). Cav-1 and Cav-2 genes map to a known tumor suppressor locus (6-A2/7q31). FEBS Lett. 1998;429:330-6 pubmed..As the expression of all three caveolins in the adult is highest in terminally differentiated cell types, this is consistent with the idea that caveolins may be viewed as late markers of differentiation during embryogenesis. ..
- Engelman J, Lee R, Karnezis A, Bearss D, Webster M, Siegel P, et al. Reciprocal regulation of neu tyrosine kinase activity and caveolin-1 protein expression in vitro and in vivo. Implications for human breast cancer. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:20448-55 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that a novel form of reciprocal negative regulation exists between c-Neu and caveolin-1. ..
- Miranda P, Allaire A, Sosnik J, Visconti P. Localization of low-density detergent-resistant membrane proteins in intact and acrosome-reacted mouse sperm. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:897-904 pubmed publisher..facilitated glucose transporter 3, IZUMO, and SPAM1) and other molecules known to be enriched in membrane rafts (caveolin 2, flotillin 1, flotillin 2, and the ganglioside GM3) were selected to investigate their localization in the sperm ..
- Sotgia F, Lee J, Das K, Bedford M, Petrucci T, Macioce P, et al. Caveolin-3 directly interacts with the C-terminal tail of beta -dystroglycan. Identification of a central WW-like domain within caveolin family members. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:38048-58 pubmed..We discuss the possible implications of our findings in the context of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. ..
- Yu P, Yang Z, Jones J, Wang Z, Owens S, Mueller S, et al. D1 dopamine receptor signaling involves caveolin-2 in HEK-293 cells. Kidney Int. 2004;66:2167-80 pubmed..The majority of hD1Rs are distributed in lipid rafts. Heterologously and endogenously expressed D1Rs in renal cells are associated with and regulated by caveolin-2. ..
- Moreno M, Molina H, Amigo L, Zanlungo S, Arrese M, Rigotti A, et al. Hepatic overexpression of caveolins increases bile salt secretion in mice. Hepatology. 2003;38:1477-88 pubmed..No changes were seen in the protein mass of BS transporters Ntcp and Bsep. In conclusion, our findings indicate that caveolins may play an important role in regulating hepatic BS and cholesterol metabolism. ..
- Ludwig A, Howard G, Mendoza Topaz C, Deerinck T, Mackey M, Sandin S, et al. Molecular composition and ultrastructure of the caveolar coat complex. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001640 pubmed publisher..3D electron tomograms of the caveolar coat, labeled using cavin-MiniSOG, show that the caveolar coat is composed of repeating units of a unitary caveolar coat complex. ..
- Engelman J, Zhang X, Galbiati F, Volonte D, Sotgia F, Pestell R, et al. Molecular genetics of the caveolin gene family: implications for human cancers, diabetes, Alzheimer disease, and muscular dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;63:1578-87 pubmed
- Liu Y, Jang S, Xie L, Sowa G. Host deficiency in caveolin-2 inhibits lung carcinoma tumor growth by impairing tumor angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 2014;74:6452-62 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, host-expressed Cav-2 may promote tumor growth via supporting tumor-induced angiogenesis. Thus, Cav-2 expressed in tumor microenvironment may potentially become a novel target for cancer therapy. ..
- Razani B, Park D, Miyanaga Y, Ghatpande A, Cohen J, Wang X, et al. Molecular cloning and developmental expression of the caveolin gene family in the amphibian Xenopus laevis. Biochemistry. 2002;41:7914-24 pubmed..This report is the first detailed study of caveolin gene expression in a developing embryo. ..