Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Casp8
Description: caspase 8
Alias: CASP-8, FLICE, MACH, Mch5, caspase-8, Fas-linked ICE-like protease
- Günther C, Martini E, Wittkopf N, Amann K, Weigmann B, Neumann H, et al. Caspase-8 regulates TNF-?-induced epithelial necroptosis and terminal ileitis. Nature. 2011;477:335-9 pubmed publisher..Mice with a conditional deletion of caspase-8 in the intestinal epithelium (Casp8(?IEC)) spontaneously developed inflammatory lesions in the terminal ileum and were highly susceptible to colitis...
- Salmena L, Lemmers B, Hakem A, Matysiak Zablocki E, Murakami K, Au P, et al. Essential role for caspase 8 in T-cell homeostasis and T-cell-mediated immunity. Genes Dev. 2003;17:883-95 pubmed..The in vivo role of caspase 8, a component of this pathway, has eluded analysis in postnatal tissues because of the lack of an appropriate ..
- Liedtke C, Bangen J, Freimuth J, Beraza N, Lambertz D, Cubero F, et al. Loss of caspase-8 protects mice against inflammation-related hepatocarcinogenesis but induces non-apoptotic liver injury. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:2176-87 pubmed publisher..Activation of caspase-8 (Casp8) initiates death receptor-mediated apoptosis...
- Ch en I, Tsau J, Molkentin J, Komatsu M, Hedrick S. Mechanisms of necroptosis in T cells. J Exp Med. 2011;208:633-41 pubmed publisher..parallel, nonapoptotic pathway of cell death, has been described, and this pathway is invoked in the absence of caspase 8. In caspase 8-deficient T cells, necroptosis occurs as the result of antigen receptor-mediated activation...
- Lee P, Lee D, Chan C, Chen S, Ch en I, Jamora C. Dynamic expression of epidermal caspase 8 simulates a wound healing response. Nature. 2009;458:519-23 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that the loss of epidermal caspase 8, an important mediator of apoptosis, recapitulates several phases of a wound healing response in the mouse...
- Mielgo A, Torres V, Schmid M, Graf R, Zeitlin S, Lee P, et al. The death effector domains of caspase-8 induce terminal differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7879 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a new function for the DEDs of caspase-8, and describe an unexpected mechanism that contributes to cell differentiation and senescence. ..
- Lin S, Liu X, Yin R, Kong D, Qu Y, Zhang Y. Inhibitory effects of short hairpin RNA against caspase-8 on apoptosis of murine hepatoma Hepa1-6 cells. Biosci Trends. 2009;3:53-7 pubmed..05). This study suggested that shRNAs against caspase-8 could effectively inhibit apoptosis of Hepa1-6 cells induced by TNF-alpha by suppressing caspase-8 mRNA expression. ..
- Kang T, Oh G, Scandella E, Bolinger B, Ludewig B, Kovalenko A, et al. Mutation of a self-processing site in caspase-8 compromises its apoptotic but not its nonapoptotic functions in bacterial artificial chromosome-transgenic mice. J Immunol. 2008;181:2522-32 pubmed
- Gentle I, Wong W, Evans J, Bankovacki A, Cook W, Khan N, et al. In TNF-stimulated cells, RIPK1 promotes cell survival by stabilizing TRAF2 and cIAP1, which limits induction of non-canonical NF-kappaB and activation of caspase-8. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13282-91 pubmed publisher..This resulted in processing of p100 NF-?B2 to p52, a decrease in levels of cFLIP(L), and activation of caspase-8, culminating in cell death. Therefore, the pro-survival effect of RIPK1 is mediated by stabilization of TRAF2 and cIAP1. ..
- Hatting M, Zhao G, Schumacher F, Sellge G, Al Masaoudi M, Gaβler N, et al. Hepatocyte caspase-8 is an essential modulator of steatohepatitis in rodents. Hepatology. 2013;57:2189-201 pubmed publisher..b>Caspase 8 (Casp8) is essential for death-receptor-mediated apoptosis activity and therefore its modulation might be ..
- Kaiser W, Upton J, Long A, Livingston Rosanoff D, Daley Bauer L, Hakem R, et al. RIP3 mediates the embryonic lethality of caspase-8-deficient mice. Nature. 2011;471:368-72 pubmed publisher..complementary pathways controlled by common signalling adaptors, kinases and proteases; among these, caspase-8 (Casp8) is critical for death receptor-induced apoptosis...
- Burguillos M, Deierborg T, Kavanagh E, Persson A, Hajji N, Garcia Quintanilla A, et al. Caspase signalling controls microglia activation and neurotoxicity. Nature. 2011;472:319-24 pubmed publisher..We conclude that inhibition of these caspases could be neuroprotective by targeting the microglia rather than the neurons themselves. ..
- Varfolomeev E, Schuchmann M, Luria V, Chiannilkulchai N, Beckmann J, Mett I, et al. Targeted disruption of the mouse Caspase 8 gene ablates cell death induction by the TNF receptors, Fas/Apo1, and DR3 and is lethal prenatally. Immunity. 1998;9:267-76 pubmedHomozygous targeted disruption of the mouse Caspase 8 (Casp8) gene was found to be lethal in utero. The Caspase 8 null embryos exhibited impaired heart muscle development and congested accumulation of erythrocytes...
- Beisner D, Ch en I, Kolla R, Hoffmann A, Hedrick S. Cutting edge: innate immunity conferred by B cells is regulated by caspase-8. J Immunol. 2005;175:3469-73 pubmed..To determine whether caspase-8 is also required for B cell proliferation, we generated mice with a B cell-specific Casp8 deficiency. Unlike T cells, caspase-8 was not required for Ag receptor-driven proliferation or Ab formation...
- Sakamaki K, Inoue T, Asano M, Sudo K, Kazama H, Sakagami J, et al. Ex vivo whole-embryo culture of caspase-8-deficient embryos normalize their aberrant phenotypes in the developing neural tube and heart. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:1196-206 pubmed..5-E11.5, suggesting that these defects are most likely secondary to a lack of physiological caspase-8 activity. Taken together, these results suggest that caspase-8 is indispensable for embryonic development. ..
- Gurung P, Anand P, Malireddi R, Vande Walle L, Van Opdenbosch N, Dillon C, et al. FADD and caspase-8 mediate priming and activation of the canonical and noncanonical Nlrp3 inflammasomes. J Immunol. 2014;192:1835-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal FADD and caspase-8 as apical mediators of canonical and noncanonical Nlrp3 inflammasome priming and activation. ..
- Vucur M, Reisinger F, Gautheron J, Janssen J, Roderburg C, Cardenas D, et al. RIP3 inhibits inflammatory hepatocarcinogenesis but promotes cholestasis by controlling caspase-8- and JNK-dependent compensatory cell proliferation. Cell Rep. 2013;4:776-90 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a function of RIP3 in regulating carcinogenesis and cholestasis. Controlling RIP3 or Caspase-8 might represent a chemopreventive or therapeutic strategy against hepatocellular carcinoma and biliary disease. ..
- Chaudhary K, Liedtke C, Wertenbruch S, Trautwein C, Streetz K. Caspase 8 differentially controls hepatocytes and non-parenchymal liver cells during chronic cholestatic liver injury in mice. J Hepatol. 2013;59:1292-8 pubmed publisher..Here we investigated how caspase 8 (Casp8) differentially regulates immune-mediated liver injury and regeneration in distinct liver cell types ..
- Stupack D, Teitz T, Potter M, Mikolon D, Houghton P, Kidd V, et al. Potentiation of neuroblastoma metastasis by loss of caspase-8. Nature. 2006;439:95-9 pubmed..These findings define caspase-8 as a metastasis suppressor gene that, together with integrins, regulates the survival and invasive capacity of neuroblastoma cells. ..
- Oberst A, Dillon C, Weinlich R, McCormick L, Fitzgerald P, Pop C, et al. Catalytic activity of the caspase-8-FLIP(L) complex inhibits RIPK3-dependent necrosis. Nature. 2011;471:363-7 pubmed publisher..RIPK3-dependent necrosis without inducing apoptosis by functioning in a proteolytically active complex with FLICE-like inhibitory protein long (FLIP(L), also known as CFLAR), and this complex is required for the protective ..
- Rajput A, Kovalenko A, Bogdanov K, Yang S, Kang T, Kim J, et al. RIG-I RNA helicase activation of IRF3 transcription factor is negatively regulated by caspase-8-mediated cleavage of the RIP1 protein. Immunity. 2011;34:340-51 pubmed publisher..The dependence of RIP1 cleavage on the same molecular change as that facilitating RIG-I signaling allows for RIG-I signaling to be restricted in its duration without compromising its initial activation. ..
- Weinlich R, Oberst A, Dillon C, Janke L, Milasta S, Lukens J, et al. Protective roles for caspase-8 and cFLIP in adult homeostasis. Cell Rep. 2013;5:340-8 pubmed publisherCaspase-8 or cellular FLICE-like inhibitor protein (cFLIP) deficiency leads to embryonic lethality in mice due to defects in endothelial tissues...
- Scharner D, Rossig L, Carmona G, Chavakis E, Urbich C, Fischer A, et al. Caspase-8 is involved in neovascularization-promoting progenitor cell functions. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:571-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data demonstrate a novel apoptosis-unrelated role of caspase-8 in proangiogenic cells. ..
- Kaufmann T, Jost P, Pellegrini M, Puthalakath H, Gugasyan R, Gerondakis S, et al. Fatal hepatitis mediated by tumor necrosis factor TNFalpha requires caspase-8 and involves the BH3-only proteins Bid and Bim. Immunity. 2009;30:56-66 pubmed publisher..These observations identify caspase-8 and the BH3-only proteins Bid and Bim as potential therapeutic targets for treatment of inflammatory liver diseases. ..
- Maelfait J, Vercammen E, Janssens S, Schotte P, Haegman M, Magez S, et al. Stimulation of Toll-like receptor 3 and 4 induces interleukin-1beta maturation by caspase-8. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1967-73 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a novel role for caspase-8 in the production of biologically active IL-1beta in response to TLR3 and TLR4 stimulation. ..
- Su H, Bidere N, Zheng L, Cubre A, Sakai K, Dale J, et al. Requirement for caspase-8 in NF-kappaB activation by antigen receptor. Science. 2005;307:1465-8 pubmed..These findings thus explain the paradoxical association of defective apoptosis and combined immunodeficiency in human CED. ..
- Ben Moshe T, Barash H, Kang T, Kim J, Kovalenko A, Gross E, et al. Role of caspase-8 in hepatocyte response to infection and injury in mice. Hepatology. 2007;45:1014-24 pubmed
- Kang T, Yang S, Tóth B, Kovalenko A, Wallach D. Caspase-8 blocks kinase RIPK3-mediated activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome. Immunity. 2013;38:27-40 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insight into potentially pathological inflammatory processes to which RIPK1- and RIPK3-mediated signaling contributes. ..
- O Donnell M, Perez Jimenez E, Oberst A, Ng A, Massoumi R, Xavier R, et al. Caspase 8 inhibits programmed necrosis by processing CYLD. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:1437-42 pubmed publisherb>Caspase 8 initiates apoptosis downstream of TNF death receptors by undergoing autocleavage and processing the executioner caspase 3 (ref. 1)...
- Arechiga A, Bell B, Leverrier S, Weist B, Porter M, Wu Z, et al. A Fas-associated death domain protein/caspase-8-signaling axis promotes S-phase entry and maintains S6 kinase activity in T cells responding to IL-2. J Immunol. 2007;179:5291-300 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a FADD/caspase-8-signaling axis promotes T cell cycle progression and sustained S6K activity. ..
- Sagulenko V, Thygesen S, Sester D, Idris A, Cridland J, Vajjhala P, et al. AIM2 and NLRP3 inflammasomes activate both apoptotic and pyroptotic death pathways via ASC. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:1149-60 pubmed publisher..Thus caspase-8 is an integral part of the inflammasome, and this extends the relevance of the inflammasome to cell types that do not express caspase-1. ..
- Matsumori Y, Northington F, Hong S, Kayama T, Sheldon R, Vexler Z, et al. Reduction of caspase-8 and -9 cleavage is associated with increased c-FLIP and increased binding of Apaf-1 and Hsp70 after neonatal hypoxic/ischemic injury in mice overexpressing Hsp70. Stroke. 2006;37:507-12 pubmed
- Najjar M, Saleh D, Zelic M, Nogusa S, Shah S, Tai A, et al. RIPK1 and RIPK3 Kinases Promote Cell-Death-Independent Inflammation by Toll-like Receptor 4. Immunity. 2016;45:46-59 pubmed publisher..These findings identified a new pharmacologically accessible pathway that may be relevant to inflammatory pathologies. ..
- Cook W, Moujalled D, Ralph T, Lock P, Young S, Murphy J, et al. RIPK1- and RIPK3-induced cell death mode is determined by target availability. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:1600-12 pubmed publisher..RIPK3 induced cell death by an MLKL-dependent mechanism but, surprisingly, also induced death mediated by FADD, caspase 8 and RIPK1...
- Bush J, Cheung K, Li G. Curcumin induces apoptosis in human melanoma cells through a Fas receptor/caspase-8 pathway independent of p53. Exp Cell Res. 2001;271:305-14 pubmed..Since melanoma cells with mutant p53 are strongly resistant to conventional chemotherapy, curcumin may overcome the chemoresistance of these cells and provide potential new avenues for treatment. ..
- Zhao Y, Li S, Childs E, Kuharsky D, Yin X. Activation of pro-death Bcl-2 family proteins and mitochondria apoptosis pathway in tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced liver injury. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:27432-40 pubmed..The functional significance of the mitochondria apoptosis pathway was thus elucidated in the TNFalpha-mediated pathogenesis in vivo. ..
- Kaiser W, Daley Bauer L, Thapa R, Mandal P, Berger S, Huang C, et al. RIP1 suppresses innate immune necrotic as well as apoptotic cell death during mammalian parturition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:7753-8 pubmed publisher..RIPK1) mediates programmed necrosis and, together with its partner, RIP3 (RIPK3), drives midgestational death of caspase 8 (Casp8)-deficient embryos...
- Wilfling F, Weber A, Potthoff S, Vögtle F, Meisinger C, Paschen S, et al. BH3-only proteins are tail-anchored in the outer mitochondrial membrane and can initiate the activation of Bax. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1328-36 pubmed publisher..The recognition of C-terminal membrane-insertion of BH3-only proteins will permit the development of a more detailed concept of the initiation of mitochondrial apoptosis. ..
- Krajewska M, You Z, Rong J, Kress C, Huang X, Yang J, et al. Neuronal deletion of caspase 8 protects against brain injury in mouse models of controlled cortical impact and kainic acid-induced excitotoxicity. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24341 pubmed publisherAcute brain injury is an important health problem. Given the critical position of caspase 8 at the crossroads of cell death pathways, we generated a new viable mouse line (Ncasp8(-/-)), in which the gene encoding caspase 8 was ..
- De Paepe M, Mao Q, Embree Ku M, Rubin L, Luks F. Fas/FasL-mediated apoptosis in perinatal murine lungs. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;287:L730-42 pubmed..The developmental time dependence of apoptosis-related events in the murine model should facilitate investigations of the regulation of perinatal pulmonary apoptotic gene expression. ..
- Hakem A, El Ghamrasni S, Maire G, Lemmers B, Karaskova J, Jurisicova A, et al. Caspase-8 is essential for maintaining chromosomal stability and suppressing B-cell lymphomagenesis. Blood. 2012;119:3495-502 pubmed publisher..We also report that deficiency of caspase-8 results in impaired cytokinesis and that casp8(-/-) lymphomas display remarkably elevated levels of chromosomal aberrations...
- Yoon S, Kovalenko A, Bogdanov K, Wallach D. MLKL, the Protein that Mediates Necroptosis, Also Regulates Endosomal Trafficking and Extracellular Vesicle Generation. Immunity. 2017;47:51-65.e7 pubmed publisher..We suggest that release of phosphorylated MLKL within extracellular vesicles serves as a mechanism for self-restricting the necroptotic activity of this protein. ..
- Trujillo M, Pajvani U, Scherer P. Apoptosis through targeted activation of caspase 8 ("ATTAC-mice"): novel mouse models of inducible and reversible tissue ablation. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:1141-5 pubmed..The FAT-ATTAC mouse is a transgenic model whereby expression of a myristoylated caspase 8-FKBP fusion protein enables selective ablation of adipocytes via induction of apoptosis that occurs upon ..
- Kang S, Fernandes Alnemri T, Rogers C, Mayes L, Wang Y, Dillon C, et al. Caspase-8 scaffolding function and MLKL regulate NLRP3 inflammasome activation downstream of TLR3. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7515 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a comprehensive analysis of pathways that lead to NLRP3 inflammasome activation in response to dsRNA. ..
- Rajpal A, Cho Y, Yelent B, Koza Taylor P, Li D, Chen E, et al. Transcriptional activation of known and novel apoptotic pathways by Nur77 orphan steroid receptor. EMBO J. 2003;22:6526-36 pubmed..Thus Nur77-mediated apoptosis in T cells involves Bcl-2 independent transcriptional activation of several known and novel apoptotic pathways. ..
- Weng D, Marty Roix R, Ganesan S, Proulx M, Vladimer G, Kaiser W, et al. Caspase-8 and RIP kinases regulate bacteria-induced innate immune responses and cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:7391-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that caspase-8 and the RIP kinases are key regulators of macrophage cell death, NF-?B and inflammasome activation, and host resistance after Y. pestis infection. ..
- Liu S, Kelvin D, Leon A, Jin L, Farooqui A. Induction of Fas mediated caspase-8 independent apoptosis in immune cells by Armigeres subalbatus saliva. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41145 pubmed publisher..Our study shows for the first time that saliva-induced apoptosis is the leading phenomenon exerted by Ar.subalbatus that impede immune cells leading to the suppression of their effecter mechanism. ..
- Delfino D, Spinicelli S, Pozzesi N, Pierangeli S, Velardi E, Bruscoli S, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced activation of caspase-8 protects the glucocorticoid-induced protein Gilz from proteasomal degradation and induces its binding to SUMO-1 in murine thymocytes. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:183-90 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results suggest that caspase-8 activation protects Gilz from proteasomal degradation and induces its binding to SUMO-1 in GC-treated thymocytes. ..
- Claveria C, Giovinazzo G, Sierra R, Torres M. Myc-driven endogenous cell competition in the early mammalian embryo. Nature. 2013;500:39-44 pubmed publisher..These results show that natural cell competition in the early mammalian embryo contributes to the selection of the epiblast cell pool. ..
- Mailleux A, Overholtzer M, Schmelzle T, Bouillet P, Strasser A, Brugge J. BIM regulates apoptosis during mammary ductal morphogenesis, and its absence reveals alternative cell death mechanisms. Dev Cell. 2007;12:221-34 pubmed..These data provide important mechanistic information on the processes involved in sculpting the mammary gland and demonstrate that BIM is a critical regulator of apoptosis in vivo. ..
- Bai T, Dong D, Pei L. Resveratrol mitigates isoflurane-induced neuroapoptosis by inhibiting the activation of the Akt-regulated mitochondrial apoptotic signaling pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2013;32:819-26 pubmed publisher..The data from the present study demonstrate that RESV effectively protects neuronal cells from isoflurane-induced cytotoxicity by activating the Akt signaling pathway. ..
- Zheng T, Hunot S, Kuida K, Flavell R. Caspase knockouts: matters of life and death. Cell Death Differ. 1999;6:1043-53 pubmed..We will also provide our prediction on the direction of future studies in this ever-growing field of caspases. ..
- Shang L, Ding W, Li N, Liao L, Chen D, Huang J, et al. The effects and regulatory mechanism of RIP3 on RGC-5 necroptosis following elevated hydrostatic pressure. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2017;49:128-137 pubmed publisher..Thus, caspase-8 may participate in the regulation of RGC-5 necroptosis via RIP3 cleavage. ..
- Brayer J, Lowry J, Cha S, Robinson C, Yamachika S, Peck A, et al. Alleles from chromosomes 1 and 3 of NOD mice combine to influence Sjögren's syndrome-like autoimmune exocrinopathy. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:1896-904 pubmed..The association with certain Idd, but not other Idd loci, indicate that genetic overlap is present but probably not inclusive. ..
- Alikhani M, Alikhani Z, Raptis M, Graves D. TNF-alpha in vivo stimulates apoptosis in fibroblasts through caspase-8 activation and modulates the expression of pro-apoptotic genes. J Cell Physiol. 2004;201:341-8 pubmed..Thus, TNF-alpha acts to modulate the expression of many genes that favors apoptosis of fibroblastic cells, which is dependent mostly upon signaling through caspase-8. ..
- Chang R, Wang E. Mouse translation elongation factor eEF1A-2 interacts with Prdx-I to protect cells against apoptotic death induced by oxidative stress. J Cell Biochem. 2007;100:267-78 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that eEF1A-2 interacts with Prdx-I to functionally provide cells with extraordinary resistance to oxidative stress-induced cell death. ..
- Nam Y, Mani K, Ashton A, Peng C, Krishnamurthy B, Hayakawa Y, et al. Inhibition of both the extrinsic and intrinsic death pathways through nonhomotypic death-fold interactions. Mol Cell. 2004;15:901-12 pubmed..Conversely, physiological levels of ARC suppress these events. These studies establish a critical role for nonhomotypic death-fold interactions in the regulation of apoptosis. ..
- Kassis R, Larrous F, Estaquier J, Bourhy H. Lyssavirus matrix protein induces apoptosis by a TRAIL-dependent mechanism involving caspase-8 activation. J Virol. 2004;78:6543-55 pubmed..In our model, Fas ligand (CD95L) appears to play a limited role in lyssavirus-mediated neuroblastoma cell death. Similarly, tumor necrosis factor alpha does not appear to play an important role. ..
- Jang Y, Namkoong S, Kim Y, Lee S, Park B, Min D. Cleavage of phospholipase D1 by caspase promotes apoptosis via modulation of the p53-dependent cell death pathway. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:1782-93 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal that cleavage of PLD1 by caspases promotes apoptosis via modulation of the p53-dependent cell death pathway. ..
- Viaud S, Daillère R, Boneca I, Lepage P, Langella P, Chamaillard M, et al. Gut microbiome and anticancer immune response: really hot Sh*t!. Cell Death Differ. 2015;22:199-214 pubmed publisher..These findings represent a paradigm shift in our understanding of the mode of action of many compounds having an impact on the host-microbe mutualism. ..
- He L, Wu X, Siegel R, Lipsky P. TRAF6 regulates cell fate decisions by inducing caspase 8-dependent apoptosis and the activation of NF-kappaB. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11235-49 pubmed..The mechanism of apoptosis induction results from the capacity of human TRAF6 to interact and activate caspase 8. Both the C-terminal TRAF domain of human TRAF6, which directly interacts with the death effector domain of pro-..
- Qi W, Wu H, Yang L, Boyd D, Wang Z. A novel function of caspase-8 in the regulation of androgen-receptor-driven gene expression. EMBO J. 2007;26:65-75 pubmed..Screening of a human cDNA library resulted in isolation of caspase-8 (Casp8), an initiator caspase that mediates death-receptor-induced apoptosis...
- Chi W, Li F, Chen H, Wang Y, Zhu Y, Yang X, et al. Caspase-8 promotes NLRP1/NLRP3 inflammasome activation and IL-1? production in acute glaucoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:11181-6 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insight into the pathogenesis of glaucoma and point to a treatment strategy. ..
- O Reilly L, Divisekera U, Newton K, Scalzo K, Kataoka T, Puthalakath H, et al. Modifications and intracellular trafficking of FADD/MORT1 and caspase-8 after stimulation of T lymphocytes. Cell Death Differ. 2004;11:724-36 pubmed..Interestingly, mitogenic stimulation, but not Fas ligation, induced a unique post-translational modification of FADD. These different modifications may determine whether FADD and caspase-8 induce cell death or proliferation. ..
- Moujalled D, Cook W, Lluis J, Khan N, Ahmed A, Callus B, et al. In mouse embryonic fibroblasts, neither caspase-8 nor cellular FLICE-inhibitory protein (FLIP) is necessary for TNF to activate NF-?B, but caspase-8 is required for TNF to cause cell death, and induction of FLIP by NF-?B is required to prevent it. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:808-15 pubmed publisher..To determine the roles of FLICE-inhibitory protein (FLIP) and caspase-8 in TNF-induced activation of NF-?B and apoptosis, we used mouse embryonic ..
- Melnick M, Chen H, Zhou Y, Jaskoll T. Embryonic mouse submandibular salivary gland morphogenesis and the TNF/TNF-R1 signal transduction pathway. Anat Rec. 2001;262:318-30 pubmed..The results of these experiments indicate that the TNF/TNF-R1 signal transduction pathway plays an important role in balancing cell proliferation and apoptosis during SMG duct and presumptive acini formation. ..
- Zwolanek F, Riedelberger M, Stolz V, Jenull S, Istel F, KÃ¶prÃ¼lÃ¼ A, et al. The non-receptor tyrosine kinase Tec controls assembly and activity of the noncanonical caspase-8 inflammasome. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10:e1004525 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate a therapeutic potential for Tec kinase inhibition to combat invasive microbial infections by attenuating the host inflammatory response. ..
- Huang S, White E, Wettlaufer S, Grifka H, Hogaboam C, Thannickal V, et al. Prostaglandin E(2) induces fibroblast apoptosis by modulating multiple survival pathways. FASEB J. 2009;23:4317-26 pubmed publisher..They provide another dimension by which PGE(2) may inhibit, and perhaps even reverse, fibrogenesis in patients with interstitial lung disease. ..
- Takano J, Mihira N, Fujioka R, Hosoki E, Chishti A, Saido T. Vital role of the calpain-calpastatin system for placental-integrity-dependent embryonic survival. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4097-106 pubmed publisher..Triple-knockout mice exhibited early embryonic lethality, a finding consistent with the notion that this protease system is vital for embryonic survival. ..
- Ikeda T, Kanazawa T, Otsuka S, Ichii O, Hashimoto Y, Kon Y. Expression of caspase family and muscle- and apoptosis-specific genes during skeletal myogenesis in mouse embryo. J Vet Med Sci. 2009;71:1161-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the activation of Casps in skeletal myogenesis is deeply associated with myoblast differentiation, but not directly related to apoptosis. ..