Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Car5a
Description: carbonic anhydrase 5a, mitochondrial
Alias: CAV, Ca5a, Car5, carbonic anhydrase 5A, mitochondrial, CA Y, CA-VA, carbonate dehydratase VA, carbonic anhydrase 5, mitochondrial, carbonic anhydrase 5b, mitochondrial, carbonic anhydrase VA
- Lakkis M, Venta P, Tashian R. Localization of the mitochondrial carbonic anhydrase V gene, Car5, on mouse chromosome 8. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:225-6 pubmed
- Lehtonen J, Shen B, Vihinen M, Casini A, Scozzafava A, Supuran C, et al. Characterization of CA XIII, a novel member of the carbonic anhydrase isozyme family. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:2719-27 pubmed..In conclusion, the predicted amino acid sequence, structural model, distribution, and activity data suggest that CA XIII represents a novel enzyme, which may play important physiological roles in several organs. ..
- Shah G, Hewett Emmett D, Grubb J, Migas M, Fleming R, Waheed A, et al. Mitochondrial carbonic anhydrase CA VB: differences in tissue distribution and pattern of evolution from those of CA VA suggest distinct physiological roles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:1677-82 pubmed..anhydrase (CA) called CA VB was identified by homology to the previously characterized murine CA V, now called CA VA. The full-length cDNA encodes a 317-aa precursor that contains a 33-aa classical mitochondrial leader sequence...
- Earnhardt J, Wright S, Qian M, Tu C, Laipis P, Viola R, et al. Introduction of histidine analogs leads to enhanced proton transfer in carbonic anhydrase V. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;361:264-70 pubmed..This is the first example of incorporation by chemical modification of an unnatural amino acid analog of histidine that can act as a proton shuttle in an enzyme. ..
- Pan P, Rodriguez A, Parkkila S. A systematic quantification of carbonic anhydrase transcripts in the mouse digestive system. BMC Mol Biol. 2007;8:22 pubmed..It contributes to a deeper understanding of the distribution of CA isozymes and their potential roles in the mouse digestive system. ..
- Amor Gueret M, Levi Strauss M. Nucleotide and derived amino-acid sequence of a cDNA encoding a new mouse carbonic anhydrase. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:1646 pubmed
- Boriack Sjodin P, Heck R, Laipis P, Silverman D, Christianson D. Structure determination of murine mitochondrial carbonic anhydrase V at 2.45-A resolution: implications for catalytic proton transfer and inhibitor design. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10949-53 pubmed..Such inhibitors may be physiologically important in the regulation of blood glucose levels. ..
- Heck R, Tanhauser S, Manda R, Tu C, Laipis P, Silverman D. Catalytic properties of mouse carbonic anhydrase V. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24742-6 pubmed..Investigation of a site-specific mutant of CA V containing the replacement Tyr64-->His showed that the unique kinetic properties of CA V are not due to the presence of tyrosine at position 64. ..
- Nagao Y, Srinivasan M, Platero J, Svendrowski M, Waheed A, Sly W. Mitochondrial carbonic anhydrase (isozyme V) in mouse and rat: cDNA cloning, expression, subcellular localization, processing, and tissue distribution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:10330-4 pubmed..However, tissue distribution reported for the corresponding mouse CA Y mRNA was much more limited than that reported for the distribution of CA-V immunostaining in rat tissues...
- Jude K, Wright S, Tu C, Silverman D, Viola R, Christianson D. Crystal structure of F65A/Y131C-methylimidazole carbonic anhydrase V reveals architectural features of an engineered proton shuttle. Biochemistry. 2002;41:2485-91 pubmedThe crystal structure of F65A/Y131C murine alpha-carbonic anhydrase V (CAV), covalently modified at cysteine residues with 4-chloromethylimidazole, is reported at 1.88 A resolution...
- Price T, Eranki V, Banks W, Ercal N, Shah G. Topiramate treatment protects blood-brain barrier pericytes from hyperglycemia-induced oxidative damage in diabetic mice. Endocrinology. 2012;153:362-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, mitochondrial CA may provide a new therapeutic target for oxidative stress related illnesses of the central nervous system. ..
- Wu L, Sagong B, Choi J, Kim U, Bok J. A systematic survey of carbonic anhydrase mRNA expression during mammalian inner ear development. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:269-80 pubmed publisher..The temporal and spatial expression patterns of each CA isozyme suggest unique and differential roles in inner ear development and function. ..
- Shah G, Rubbelke T, Hendin J, Nguyen H, Waheed A, Shoemaker J, et al. Targeted mutagenesis of mitochondrial carbonic anhydrases VA and VB implicates both enzymes in ammonia detoxification and glucose metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:7423-8 pubmed publisher..the contribution of each enzyme, we studied the effects of targeted disruption of the murine CA genes, called Car5A and Car5B. The Car5A mutation had several deleterious consequences...