Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Calca
Description: calcitonin/calcitonin-related polypeptide, alpha
Alias: CGRP-1, CGRP1, Calc, Calc1, Cgrp, Ctn, calcitonin gene-related peptide 1, alpha-type CGRP, calcitonin gene-related peptide I
- Hippenmeyer S, Vrieseling E, Sigrist M, Portmann T, Laengle C, Ladle D, et al. A developmental switch in the response of DRG neurons to ETS transcription factor signaling. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e159 pubmed..Together, our findings indicate that DRG sensory neurons exhibit a temporal developmental switch that can be revealed by distinct responses to ETS transcription factor signaling at sequential steps of neuronal maturation. ..
- Schinke T, Liese S, Priemel M, Haberland M, Schilling A, Catala Lehnen P, et al. Decreased bone formation and osteopenia in mice lacking alpha-calcitonin gene-related peptide. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19:2049-56 pubmedWe recently described an unexpected high bone mass phenotype in mice lacking the Calca gene that encodes CT and alphaCGRP...
- Salmon A, Damaj I, Sekine S, Picciotto M, Marubio L, Changeux J. Modulation of morphine analgesia in alphaCGRP mutant mice. Neuroreport. 1999;10:849-54 pubmedA homozygous CGRP-/- mouse line was generated by the targeted disruption of exon 5 in the calcitonin/alphaCGRP gene using homologous recombination. The mutant mice lack alphaCGRP mRNA...
- Meng J, Wang J, Lawrence G, Dolly J. Synaptobrevin I mediates exocytosis of CGRP from sensory neurons and inhibition by botulinum toxins reflects their anti-nociceptive potential. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2864-74 pubmedCalcitonin-gene-related peptide (CGRP), a potent vasodilator that mediates inflammatory pain, is elevated in migraine; nevertheless, little is known about its release from sensory neurons...
- Tsao P, Vasconcelos M, Izvolsky K, Qian J, LU J, Cardoso W. Notch signaling controls the balance of ciliated and secretory cell fates in developing airways. Development. 2009;136:2297-307 pubmed publisher..It might also be relevant to mediate the metaplastic changes in the respiratory epithelium that occur in pathological conditions, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. ..
- Luo W, Wickramasinghe S, Savitt J, Griffin J, Dawson T, Ginty D. A hierarchical NGF signaling cascade controls Ret-dependent and Ret-independent events during development of nonpeptidergic DRG neurons. Neuron. 2007;54:739-54 pubmed..These findings support a model in which NGF controls maturation of nonpeptidergic DRG neurons through a combination of GFR/Ret-dependent and -independent signaling pathways. ..
- Peier A, Moqrich A, Hergarden A, Reeve A, Andersson D, Story G, et al. A TRP channel that senses cold stimuli and menthol. Cell. 2002;108:705-15 pubmed..Our identification of a cold-sensing TRP channel in a distinct subpopulation of sensory neurons implicates an expanded role for this family of ion channels in somatic sensory detection. ..
- McEvilly R, Erkman L, Luo L, Sawchenko P, Ryan A, Rosenfeld M. Requirement for Brn-3.0 in differentiation and survival of sensory and motor neurons. Nature. 1996;384:574-7 pubmed..Deletion of Brn-3.0 also alters either differentiation, migration or survival of specific central neuronal populations. ..
- Kameda Y, Ito M, Nishimaki T, Gotoh N. FRS2alpha is required for the separation, migration, and survival of pharyngeal-endoderm derived organs including thyroid, ultimobranchial body, parathyroid, and thymus. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:503-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, the separation, migration, and survival of the pharyngeal organs were impaired in the FRS2alpha(2F/2F) mutants. ..
- Kameda Y, Nishimaki T, Miura M, Jiang S, Guillemot F. Mash1 regulates the development of C cells in mouse thyroid glands. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:262-70 pubmed..The C cells of newborn mice are immunoreactive for calcitonin, calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), protein gene product (PGP) 9...
- Morimoto M, Liu Z, Cheng H, Winters N, Bader D, Kopan R. Canonical Notch signaling in the developing lung is required for determination of arterial smooth muscle cells and selection of Clara versus ciliated cell fate. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:213-24 pubmed publisher..These analyses suggest that the impact of gamma-secretase inhibitors on branching in vitro reflect a non-cell autonomous contribution from endothelial or vSMC-derived signals. ..
- Mogil J, Miermeister F, Seifert F, Strasburg K, Zimmermann K, Reinold H, et al. Variable sensitivity to noxious heat is mediated by differential expression of the CGRP gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12938-43 pubmed..Linkage mapping supports the contention that the genetic variant determining variable heat pain sensitivity across mouse strains affects the expression of the Calca gene that codes for CGRPalpha.
- Manley N, Capecchi M. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development. 1995;121:1989-2003 pubmed..This variability suggests the presence of a compensating gene or genes, whose utilization is stochastic. A reasonable candidate for providing this compensatory function is the paralogous gene Hoxb-3. ..
- Zhong J, Li X, McNamee C, Chen A, Baccarini M, Snider W. Raf kinase signaling functions in sensory neuron differentiation and axon growth in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:598-607 pubmed..We conclude that Raf function is crucial for several aspects of DRG neuron development, including differentiation and axon growth. ..
- Xiang M, Gan L, Zhou L, Klein W, Nathans J. Targeted deletion of the mouse POU domain gene Brn-3a causes selective loss of neurons in the brainstem and trigeminal ganglion, uncoordinated limb movement, and impaired suckling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:11950-5 pubmed
- Toda M, Suzuki T, Hosono K, Hayashi I, Hashiba S, Onuma Y, et al. Neuronal system-dependent facilitation of tumor angiogenesis and tumor growth by calcitonin gene-related peptide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13550-5 pubmed publisherA neuropeptide, calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), is widely distributed in neuronal systems and exhibits numerous biological activities...
- Ito T, Udaka N, Yazawa T, Okudela K, Hayashi H, Sudo T, et al. Basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors regulate the neuroendocrine differentiation of fetal mouse pulmonary epithelium. Development. 2000;127:3913-21 pubmed..Thus, the neuroendocrine differentiation depends on basic helix-loop-helix factors, and Notch/Notch-ligand pathways may be involved in determining the cell differentiation fate in fetal airway epithelium. ..
- Kameda Y, Nishimaki T, Chisaka O, Iseki S, Sucov H. Expression of the epithelial marker E-cadherin by thyroid C cells and their precursors during murine development. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:1075-88 pubmed..These results indicated that murine thyroid C cells are derived from the endodermal epithelial cells of the fourth pharyngeal pouch and do not originate from neural crest cells. ..
- McCoy E, Taylor Blake B, Street S, Pribisko A, Zheng J, Zylka M. Peptidergic CGRP? primary sensory neurons encode heat and itch and tonically suppress sensitivity to cold. Neuron. 2013;78:138-51 pubmed publisherCalcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) is a classic molecular marker of peptidergic primary somatosensory neurons. Despite years of research, it is unknown whether these neurons are required to sense pain or other sensory stimuli...
- Chen C, Broom D, Liu Y, de Nooij J, Li Z, Cen C, et al. Runx1 determines nociceptive sensory neuron phenotype and is required for thermal and neuropathic pain. Neuron. 2006;49:365-77 pubmed..Moreover, mice lacking Runx1 exhibit specific defects in thermal and neuropathic pain. Thus, Runx1 coordinates the phenotype of a large cohort of nociceptors, a finding with implications for pain therapy. ..
- Tan L, Bornstein J, Anderson C. Distinct chemical classes of medium-sized transient receptor potential channel vanilloid 1-immunoreactive dorsal root ganglion neurons innervate the adult mouse jejunum and colon. Neuroscience. 2008;156:334-43 pubmed publisher..size and expression patterns of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1), calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), substance P (SP), neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and isolectin B4-binding (IB4) in dorsal root ganglion (..
- Xing Y, Li C, Li A, Sridurongrit S, Tiozzo C, Bellusci S, et al. Signaling via Alk5 controls the ontogeny of lung Clara cells. Development. 2010;137:825-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, the signaling pathway by which TGFbeta/ALK5 regulates Clara cell differentiation may entail inhibition of Pten expression, which in turn activates ERK and AKT phosphorylation. ..
- Xu K, Nieuwenhuis E, Cohen B, Wang W, Canty A, Danska J, et al. Lunatic Fringe-mediated Notch signaling is required for lung alveogenesis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2010;298:L45-56 pubmed publisher..In sum, these results demonstrate that Lfng functions to enhance Notch signaling in myofibroblast precursor cells and thereby to coordinate differentiation and mobilization of myofibroblasts required for alveolar septation. ..
- Guo T, Mandai K, Condie B, Wickramasinghe S, Capecchi M, Ginty D. An evolving NGF-Hoxd1 signaling pathway mediates development of divergent neural circuits in vertebrates. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:31-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, conserved growth factors control divergent neuronal transcriptional events that mediate interspecies differences in neural circuits and the behaviors that they control. ..
- Salmon A, Damaj M, Marubio L, Epping Jordan M, Merlo Pich E, Changeux J. Altered neuroadaptation in opiate dependence and neurogenic inflammatory nociception in alpha CGRP-deficient mice. Nat Neurosci. 2001;4:357-8 pubmedThe neuropeptide alpha CGRP (calcitonin gene-related peptide) is involved in the complex process of pain signaling, but the precise contribution of alpha CGRP remains unclear...
- Mansouri A, Chowdhury K, Gruss P. Follicular cells of the thyroid gland require Pax8 gene function. Nat Genet. 1998;19:87-90 pubmed..We present evidence that Pax8 is necessary for providing cues for the differentiation of competent endoderm primordia into thyroxin-producing follicular cells. ..
- Manley N, Capecchi M. Hox group 3 paralogs regulate the development and migration of the thymus, thyroid, and parathyroid glands. Dev Biol. 1998;195:1-15 pubmed..This unique function may be conferred by the expression of Hoxa3, but not Hoxb3 nor Hoxd3, in the pharyngeal pouch endoderm. ..
- Borges M, Linnoila R, van de Velde H, Chen H, Nelkin B, Mabry M, et al. An achaete-scute homologue essential for neuroendocrine differentiation in the lung. Nature. 1997;386:852-5 pubmed
- Mikami N, Miyagi Y, Sueda K, Takatsuji M, Fukada S, Yamamoto H, et al. Calcitonin gene-related peptide and cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate/protein kinase A pathway promote IL-9 production in Th9 differentiation process. J Immunol. 2013;190:4046-55 pubmed publisher..investigated one of the physiological mediators derived from the nervous system, calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), in asthma and Th9 cells because CGRP and activation of the cAMP/protein kinase A (PKA) pathway by CGRP are known ..
- Lee K, Li E, Huber L, Landis S, Sharpe A, Chao M, et al. Targeted mutation of the gene encoding the low affinity NGF receptor p75 leads to deficits in the peripheral sensory nervous system. Cell. 1992;69:737-49 pubmed..Our results suggest that p75NGFR has an important role in the development and function of sensory neurons. ..
- Hasegawa H, Wang F. Visualizing mechanosensory endings of TrkC-expressing neurons in HS3ST-2-hPLAP mice. J Comp Neurol. 2008;511:543-56 pubmed publisher..Our results revealed the subtype identities of TrkC-positive mechanosensory neurons and demonstrated the usefulness of HS3ST-2 as a genetic marker for these subclasses of neurons. ..
- Kramer I, Sigrist M, de Nooij J, Taniuchi I, Jessell T, Arber S. A role for Runx transcription factor signaling in dorsal root ganglion sensory neuron diversification. Neuron. 2006;49:379-93 pubmed..contrast, Runx1 controls neuronal diversification within Ngn1-dependent TrkA+ neurons by repression of neuropeptide CGRP expression and controlling the fine pattern of laminar termination in the dorsal spinal cord...
- Schütz B, Mauer D, Salmon A, Changeux J, Zimmer A. Analysis of the cellular expression pattern of beta-CGRP in alpha-CGRP-deficient mice. J Comp Neurol. 2004;476:32-43 pubmed..b>CGRP immunoreactivity (IR) was detected in many small and some large neurons in the dorsal root ganglia, was found in ..
- Harzenetter M, Novotny A, Gais P, Molina C, Altmayr F, Holzmann B. Negative regulation of TLR responses by the neuropeptide CGRP is mediated by the transcriptional repressor ICER. J Immunol. 2007;179:607-15 pubmed..the nervous and immune systems involves the release of neuropeptides, such as calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), from sensory nerves during inflammation...
- Ichikawa H, Yamaai T, Jacobowitz D, Mo Z, Xiang M, Sugimoto T. Effect of Brn-3a deficiency on parvalbumin-, calbindin D-28k-, calretinin- and calcitonin gene-related peptide-immunoreactive primary sensory neurons in the trigeminal ganglion. Neuroscience. 2002;113:537-46 pubmedImmunohistochemistry for parvalbumin, calbindin D-28k, calretinin and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) was performed on the trigeminal ganglion and oro-facial tissues in Brn-3a wildtype and knockout mice at embryonic day 18...
- Zhang L, Hoff A, Wimalawansa S, Cote G, Gagel R, Westlund K. Arthritic calcitonin/alpha calcitonin gene-related peptide knockout mice have reduced nociceptive hypersensitivity. Pain. 2001;89:265-73 pubmed..released from nerve terminals, including amino acids, substance P (SP) and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP)...
- Tsujikawa K, Yayama K, Hayashi T, Matsushita H, Yamaguchi T, Shigeno T, et al. Hypertension and dysregulated proinflammatory cytokine production in receptor activity-modifying protein 1-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16702-7 pubmedCalcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) is thought to be a prominent neuropeptide in cardiovascular regulation and neuroimmune modulation...
- Schmidt H, Stonkute A, Jüttner R, Schaffer S, Buttgereit J, Feil R, et al. The receptor guanylyl cyclase Npr2 is essential for sensory axon bifurcation within the spinal cord. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:331-40 pubmed..Hence, our data demonstrate that Npr2 and cGKI are essential constituents of the signaling pathway underlying axonal bifurcation at the DREZ and neuronal connectivity in the dorsal spinal cord. ..
- Saunders A, Seldin M. The syntenic relationship of proximal mouse chromosome 7 and the myotonic dystrophy gene region on human chromosome 19q. Genomics. 1990;6:324-32 pubmed..Homologs for five human chromosome 11 and 15 loci (Calc, Fes, Hras-1, Igflr, Tyr) were localized within an 18-cM span telomeric to Lhb...
- Yoshikawa M, Hirabayashi M, Ito R, Ozaki S, Aizawa S, Masuda T, et al. Contribution of the Runx1 transcription factor to axonal pathfinding and muscle innervation by hypoglossal motoneurons. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:1295-314 pubmed publisher..Runx1-positive neurons lacked calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) expression, whereas Runx1-negative neurons expressed CGRP...
- Renier N, Schonewille M, Giraudet F, Badura A, Tessier Lavigne M, Avan P, et al. Genetic dissection of the function of hindbrain axonal commissures. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000325 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this study is one of the first to link defects in commissural axon guidance with specific cellular and behavioral phenotypes. ..
- Walker C, Li X, Whiting L, Glyn Jones S, Zhang S, Hickey A, et al. Mice lacking the neuropeptide alpha-calcitonin gene-related peptide are protected against diet-induced obesity. Endocrinology. 2010;151:4257-69 pubmed publisher..These findings define a new role for alphaCGRP as a mediator of energy metabolism and opens up therapeutic opportunities to target CGRP action in obesity.
- Yoo Y, Kwag J, Kim K, Kim C. Effects of neuropeptides and mechanical loading on bone cell resorption in vitro. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:5874-83 pubmed publisherNeuropeptides such as vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) are present in nerve fibers of bone tissues and have been suggested to potentially regulate bone remodeling...
- Morikawa Y, Tamura S, Minehata K, Donovan P, Miyajima A, Senba E. Essential function of oncostatin m in nociceptive neurons of dorsal root ganglia. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1941-7 pubmed..Thus, OSM plays an essential role in the development of a subtype of nociceptive neurons in the DRGs. ..
- Li J, Levick S, Dipette D, Janicki J, Supowit S. Alpha-calcitonin gene-related peptide is protective against pressure overload-induced heart failure. Regul Pept. 2013;185:20-8 pubmed publisherThe sensory neuropeptide, ?-calcitonin gene-related peptide (?-CGRP) is protective against hypertension-induced heart damage and cardiac ischemia/reperfusion injury...
- Natarajan D, Grigoriou M, Marcos Gutierrez C, Atkins C, Pachnis V. Multipotential progenitors of the mammalian enteric nervous system capable of colonising aganglionic bowel in organ culture. Development. 1999;126:157-68 pubmed..Our data show the NC-derived RET+ population of fetal gut in mammalian embryos consists of multipotential progenitors capable of colonising efficiently both wild-type and RET-deficient aganglionic bowel in organ culture. ..
- Yamaoka J, Kawana S. A transient unresponsive state of self-scratching behaviour is induced in mice by skin-scratching stimulation. Exp Dermatol. 2007;16:737-45 pubmed..Pretreatment with a calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist CGRP(8-37) did not affect the following self-scratching behaviour...
- Watkins D, Berman D, Burkholder S, Wang B, Beachy P, Baylin S. Hedgehog signalling within airway epithelial progenitors and in small-cell lung cancer. Nature. 2003;422:313-7 pubmed..This requirement for Hh pathway activation identifies a common lethal malignancy that may respond to pharmacological blockade of the Hh signalling pathway. ..
- Morley J, Farr S, Flood J. Peripherally administered calcitonin gene-related peptide decreases food intake in mice. Peptides. 1996;17:511-6 pubmedPreviously, calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) decreased food intake when administered ICV but not when administered peripherally to rats...
- Wildner H, Das Gupta R, Bröhl D, Heppenstall P, Zeilhofer H, Birchmeier C. Genome-wide expression analysis of Ptf1a- and Ascl1-deficient mice reveals new markers for distinct dorsal horn interneuron populations contributing to nociceptive reflex plasticity. J Neurosci. 2013;33:7299-307 pubmed publisher..Functional experiments in isolated spinal cords showed that the Ascl1-dependent inhibitory interneurons are key players of nociceptive reflex plasticity. ..
- Kovacs C, Chafe L, Woodland M, McDonald K, Fudge N, Wookey P. Calcitropic gene expression suggests a role for the intraplacental yolk sac in maternal-fetal calcium exchange. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002;282:E721-32 pubmed..These observations indicated that the intraplacental yolk sac contains calcium transfer and calcium-sensing capability and that it is a probable route of maternal-fetal calcium exchange in the mouse. ..
- Xu Y, Lopes C, Wende H, Guo Z, Cheng L, Birchmeier C, et al. Ontogeny of excitatory spinal neurons processing distinct somatic sensory modalities. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14738-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, our studies provide new insight into the ontogeny of spinal neurons processing distinct sensory modalities. ..
- Wu Y, You H, Ma P, Li L, Yuan Y, Li J, et al. Role of transient receptor potential ion channels and evoked levels of neuropeptides in a formaldehyde-induced model of asthma in BALB/c mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62827 pubmed publisher..Formaldehyde is a common indoor air pollutant that can cause asthma in people experiencing long-term exposure. The irritant effect and adjuvant effect are the two possible pathways of formaldehyde promoted asthma...
- Compagnone N, Bulfone A, Rubenstein J, Mellon S. Steroidogenic enzyme P450c17 is expressed in the embryonic central nervous system. Endocrinology. 1995;136:5212-23 pubmed
- Banks G, Haas M, Line S, Shepherd H, AlQatari M, Stewart S, et al. Behavioral and other phenotypes in a cytoplasmic Dynein light intermediate chain 1 mutant mouse. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5483-94 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the important role that dynein-controlled processes play in the correct development and function of the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Rebelo S, Chen Z, Anderson D, Lima D. Involvement of DRG11 in the development of the primary afferent nociceptive system. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;33:236-46 pubmed
- Collins J, Kirby B, Woodrow J, Gagel R, Rosen C, Sims N, et al. Lactating Ctcgrp nulls lose twice the normal bone mineral content due to fewer osteoblasts and more osteoclasts, whereas bone mass is fully restored after weaning in association with up-regulation of Wnt signaling and other novel genes. Endocrinology. 2013;154:1400-13 pubmed publisher..Some of these genes are likely to promote bone formation during postweaning by stimulating the proliferation and activity of osteoblasts, inhibiting osteoclasts, and increasing energy use. ..
- Herriges J, Verheyden J, Zhang Z, Sui P, Zhang Y, Anderson M, et al. FGF-Regulated ETV Transcription Factors Control FGF-SHH Feedback Loop in Lung Branching. Dev Cell. 2015;35:322-32 pubmed publisher..SHH in turn inhibits local Fgf10 expression and redirects growth, thereby initiating new branches. Together, our findings establish ETV as a key node in the FGF-ETV-SHH inhibitory feedback loop that dictates branching periodicity. ..
- Campos C, Bowen A, Han S, Wisse B, Palmiter R, Schwartz M. Cancer-induced anorexia and malaise are mediated by CGRP neurons in the parabrachial nucleus. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:934-942 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate the contribution to cancer anorexia made by calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) neurons in the parabrachial nucleus (PBN) that transmit anorexic signals...
- Hoff A, Catala Lehnen P, Thomas P, Priemel M, Rueger J, Nasonkin I, et al. Increased bone mass is an unexpected phenotype associated with deletion of the calcitonin gene. J Clin Invest. 2002;110:1849-57 pubmed..Calcitonin gene-related peptide-alpha (CGRPalpha), produced by alternative RNA processing of the CT/CGRP gene, has no clearly defined role in bone...
- Yusof M, Kamada K, Gaskin F, Korthuis R. Angiotensin II mediates postischemic leukocyte-endothelial interactions: role of calcitonin gene-related peptide. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H3032-7 pubmed..inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) with captopril, or calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor blockade (CGRP8-37) prevented postischemic LR but did not influence I/R-induced LA...