Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: beta catenin
Description: catenin (cadherin associated protein), beta 1
Alias: Bfc, Catnb, Mesc, catenin beta-1, beta-catenin
Products: beta catenin
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Tao H, Inoue K, Kiyonari H, Bassuk A, Axelrod J, Sasaki H, et al. Nuclear localization of Prickle2 is required to establish cell polarity during early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;364:138-48 pubmed publisher..The cell polarity phenotype was efficiently rescued by nuclear but not cytoplasmic Pk2, demonstrating the nuclear localization of Pk2 is critical for its function. ..
- Nagafuchi A, Ishihara S, Tsukita S. The roles of catenins in the cadherin-mediated cell adhesion: functional analysis of E-cadherin-alpha catenin fusion molecules. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:235-45 pubmed..cell adhesion activity probably because of its failure to associate with cytoplasmic proteins called alpha and beta catenin. To rescue this nonfunctional cadherin as adhesion molecules, we constructed three cDNAs for fusion proteins ..
- Huber A, Weis W. The structure of the beta-catenin/E-cadherin complex and the molecular basis of diverse ligand recognition by beta-catenin. Cell. 2001;105:391-402 pubmed..APC contains sequences homologous to the phosphorylated region of cadherin, and is likely to bind similarly. ..
- Vadlamudi U, Espinoza H, Ganga M, Martin D, Liu X, Engelhardt J, et al. PITX2, beta-catenin and LEF-1 interact to synergistically regulate the LEF-1 promoter. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:1129-37 pubmed..LEF-1 and beta-catenin interactions with PITX2 provide new mechanisms for the regulation of PITX2 transcriptional activity. ..
- Cheon S, Wei Q, Gurung A, Youn A, Bright T, Poon R, et al. Beta-catenin regulates wound size and mediates the effect of TGF-beta in cutaneous healing. FASEB J. 2006;20:692-701 pubmed..These results demonstrate a crucial role for beta-catenin in regulating cutaneous wound size. Furthermore, these data implicate mesenchymal cells as playing a critical role regulating wound size. ..
- Ramasamy S, Mailleux A, Gupte V, Mata F, Sala F, Veltmaat J, et al. Fgf10 dosage is critical for the amplification of epithelial cell progenitors and for the formation of multiple mesenchymal lineages during lung development. Dev Biol. 2007;307:237-47 pubmed..Thus, our results indicate that FGF10 plays a pivotal role in maintaining epithelial progenitor cell proliferation as well as coordinating alveolar smooth muscle cell formation and vascular development. ..
- Jeong J, Lee H, Franco H, Broaddus R, Taketo M, Tsai S, et al. beta-catenin mediates glandular formation and dysregulation of beta-catenin induces hyperplasia formation in the murine uterus. Oncogene. 2009;28:31-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have demonstrated that correct regulation of beta-catenin is important for uterine function as well as in the regulation of endometrial epithelial differentiation. ..
- Lluis F, Pedone E, Pepe S, Cosma M. Periodic activation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling enhances somatic cell reprogramming mediated by cell fusion. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:493-507 pubmed publisher..Our data thus demonstrate that in ESCs, periodic beta-catenin accumulation via the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway provides a specific threshold that leads to the reprogramming of somatic cells after fusion...
- Pearson H, Phesse T, Clarke A. K-ras and Wnt signaling synergize to accelerate prostate tumorigenesis in the mouse. Cancer Res. 2009;69:94-101 pubmed publisher..of prostate cancer to define the synergism of activated K-ras (K-ras(+/V12)) and dominant stabilized beta-catenin (Catnb(+/lox(ex3))) in the murine prostate...
- Huang Y, Zhang X, Du K, Yang F, Shi Y, Huang J, et al. Inhibition of ?-catenin signaling in chondrocytes induces delayed fracture healing in mice. J Orthop Res. 2012;30:304-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides insight into the possible mechanisms of and therapeutic targets for improving normal facture repair and the healing of non-union fractures. ..
- Takezawa Y, Yoshida K, Miyado K, Sato M, Nakamura A, Kawano N, et al. ?-catenin is a molecular switch that regulates transition of cell-cell adhesion to fusion. Sci Rep. 2011;1:68 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ?-catenin is not only involved in membrane adhesion, but also in the transition to membrane fusion upon fertilization. ..
- Kiefer S, Robbins L, Rauchman M. Conditional expression of Wnt9b in Six2-positive cells disrupts stomach and kidney function. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43098 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that expression of Wnt9b in Six2-positive cells disrupts cell fate decisions in the kidney and the gastrointestinal tract...
- Soshnikova N, Zechner D, Huelsken J, Mishina Y, Behringer R, Taketo M, et al. Genetic interaction between Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP receptor signaling during formation of the AER and the dorsal-ventral axis in the limb. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1963-8 pubmed..Thus, AER formation and dorsal-ventral patterning of limbs are tightly controlled by an intricate interplay between Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP receptor signaling. ..
- Drees F, Pokutta S, Yamada S, Nelson W, Weis W. Alpha-catenin is a molecular switch that binds E-cadherin-beta-catenin and regulates actin-filament assembly. Cell. 2005;123:903-15 pubmed..These results indicate a new role for alpha-catenin in local regulation of actin assembly and organization at sites of cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion. ..
- Cohen E, Ihida Stansbury K, Lu M, Panettieri R, Jones P, Morrisey E. Wnt signaling regulates smooth muscle precursor development in the mouse lung via a tenascin C/PDGFR pathway. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2538-49 pubmed publisher..Together, these data define a Wnt/Tnc/Pdgfr signaling axis that is critical for smooth muscle development and disease progression in the lung. ..
- Wang Y, Krivtsov A, Sinha A, North T, Goessling W, Feng Z, et al. The Wnt/beta-catenin pathway is required for the development of leukemia stem cells in AML. Science. 2010;327:1650-3 pubmed publisher..beta-catenin is not absolutely required for self-renewal of adult HSCs; thus, targeting the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway may represent a new therapeutic opportunity in AML. ..
- Bakker E, Hoekstra E, Franken P, Helvensteijn W, van Deurzen C, Van Veelen W, et al. ?-Catenin signaling dosage dictates tissue-specific tumor predisposition in Apc-driven cancer. Oncogene. 2013;32:4579-85 pubmed publisher..Hereby, we provide in vivo genetic evidence confirming the dominant role of ?-catenin dosage in tumor formation and in dictating tumor predisposition among tissues in Apc-driven cancer. ..
- Coste I, Freund J, Spaderna S, Brabletz T, Renno T. Precancerous lesions upon sporadic activation of beta-catenin in mice. Gastroenterology. 2007;132:1299-308 pubmed..This model represents a powerful tool to investigate the interplay between genetic and environmental factors in tumor progression. ..
- Zhou W, Lin L, Majumdar A, Li X, Zhang X, Liu W, et al. Modulation of morphogenesis by noncanonical Wnt signaling requires ATF/CREB family-mediated transcriptional activation of TGFbeta2. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1225-34 pubmed..Thus, we propose that transcriptional readout mediated at least in part by a Wnt11 --> ATF/CREB --> TGFbeta2 pathway is critical in regulating morphogenesis in response to noncanonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Sangiorgi E, Capecchi M. Bmi1 is expressed in vivo in intestinal stem cells. Nat Genet. 2008;40:915-20 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, the distribution of Bmi1-expressing stem cells along the length of the small intestine suggested that mammals use more than one molecularly distinguishable adult stem cell subpopulation to maintain organ homeostasis. ..
- Teissedre B, PINDERHUGHES A, Incassati A, Hatsell S, Hiremath M, Cowin P. MMTV-Wnt1 and -DeltaN89beta-catenin induce canonical signaling in distinct progenitors and differentially activate Hedgehog signaling within mammary tumors. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4537 pubmed publisher..They further suggest that Hedgehog pathway activation maybe a critical component and useful indicator of breast tumors arising from unopposed Wnt1 ligand...
- Tanwar P, Lee H, Zhang L, Zukerberg L, Taketo M, Rueda B, et al. Constitutive activation of Beta-catenin in uterine stroma and smooth muscle leads to the development of mesenchymal tumors in mice. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:545-52 pubmed publisher..These results show evidence suggesting that dysregulated, stromal, and myometrial WNT/beta-catenin signaling has pleiotropic effects on uterine function and tumorigenesis. ..
- Nemeth M, Mak K, Yang Y, Bodine D. beta-Catenin expression in the bone marrow microenvironment is required for long-term maintenance of primitive hematopoietic cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:1109-19 pubmed publisher..From these data, we propose a model in which beta-catenin in the microenvironment is required noncell autonomously for long-term maintenance of hematopoietic progenitors. ..
- Fujimura N, Taketo M, Mori M, Korinek V, Kozmik Z. Spatial and temporal regulation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is essential for development of the retinal pigment epithelium. Dev Biol. 2009;334:31-45 pubmed publisher..Combined, our data suggest that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling plays an essential role in development of RPE by maintaining or inducing expression of Mitf and Otx2. ..
- He W, Tan R, Li Y, Wang D, Nie J, Hou F, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-7 as a surrogate marker predicts renal Wnt/?-catenin activity in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;23:294-304 pubmed publisher..In summary, levels of renal MMP-7 correlate with Wnt/?-catenin activity, and urinary MMP-7 may be a noninvasive biomarker of this profibrotic signaling in the kidney. ..
- Del Valle I, Rudloff S, Carles A, Li Y, Liszewska E, Vogt R, et al. E-cadherin is required for the proper activation of the Lifr/Gp130 signaling pathway in mouse embryonic stem cells. Development. 2013;140:1684-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, we put forward a model in which mES cells can be propagated in culture in the absence of Ctnnb1, as long as E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion is preserved. ..
- Castelo Branco G, Wagner J, Rodriguez F, Kele J, Sousa K, Rawal N, et al. Differential regulation of midbrain dopaminergic neuron development by Wnt-1, Wnt-3a, and Wnt-5a. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12747-52 pubmed..These findings indicate that Wnts are key regulators of proliferation and differentiation of DA precursors during VM neurogenesis and that different Wnts have specific and unique activity profiles. ..
- Boerboom D, Paquet M, Hsieh M, Liu J, Jamin S, Behringer R, et al. Misregulated Wnt/beta-catenin signaling leads to ovarian granulosa cell tumor development. Cancer Res. 2005;65:9206-15 pubmed..To confirm this hypothesis, Catnb(flox(ex3)/+); Amhr2(cre/+) mice that express a dominant stable beta-catenin mutant in their granulosa cells were ..
- Heiser P, Lau J, Taketo M, Herrera P, Hebrok M. Stabilization of beta-catenin impacts pancreas growth. Development. 2006;133:2023-32 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest a previously unappreciated temporal/spatial role for beta-catenin signaling in the regulation of pancreas organ growth. ..
- Chang H, Gao F, Guillou F, Taketo M, Huff V, Behringer R. Wt1 negatively regulates beta-catenin signaling during testis development. Development. 2008;135:1875-85 pubmed publisher..However, the suppression of beta-catenin signaling in these cells is essential for proper testis formation and Wt1 is a negative regulator of beta-catenin signaling during this developmental process. ..
- Lake B, Sokol S. Strabismus regulates asymmetric cell divisions and cell fate determination in the mouse brain. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:59-66 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Stbm/Vangl2 functions to maintain cortical progenitors and regulates mitotic spindle orientation during asymmetric divisions in the vertebrate brain. ..
- Boyer A, Lapointe E, Zheng X, Cowan R, Li H, Quirk S, et al. WNT4 is required for normal ovarian follicle development and female fertility. FASEB J. 2010;24:3010-25 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that WNT4 is required for normal antral follicle development and may act by regulating granulosa cell functions including steroidogenesis. ..
- Lin C, Yin Y, Bell S, Veith G, Chen H, Huh S, et al. Delineating a conserved genetic cassette promoting outgrowth of body appendages. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003231 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that a conserved WNT-SP8-FGF8 genetic cassette is employed by both appendages for promoting outgrowth, and suggest a deep homology shared by the limb and external genitalia. ..
- Miyoshi K, Shillingford J, Le Provost F, Gounari F, Bronson R, von Boehmer H, et al. Activation of beta -catenin signaling in differentiated mammary secretory cells induces transdifferentiation into epidermis and squamous metaplasias. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:219-24 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the activation of beta-catenin signaling induces a program that results in loss of mammary epithelial cell differentiation and induction of epidermal structures. ..
- Israsena N, Hu M, Fu W, Kan L, Kessler J. The presence of FGF2 signaling determines whether beta-catenin exerts effects on proliferation or neuronal differentiation of neural stem cells. Dev Biol. 2004;268:220-31 pubmed..We suggest that the balance between the mitogenic effects and the proneural effects of beta-catenin is determined by the presence of FGF signaling. ..
- Botrugno O, Fayard E, Annicotte J, Haby C, Brennan T, Wendling O, et al. Synergy between LRH-1 and beta-catenin induces G1 cyclin-mediated cell proliferation. Mol Cell. 2004;15:499-509 pubmed..The implication of LRH-1 in cell proliferation highlights an unanticipated crosstalk between LRH-1 and the beta-catenin/Tcf4 signaling pathway, which is relevant for the renewal of intestinal crypt cells. ..
- Sukhdeo K, Mani M, Zhang Y, Dutta J, Yasui H, Rooney M, et al. Targeting the beta-catenin/TCF transcriptional complex in the treatment of multiple myeloma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7516-21 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate the efficacy of disrupting the beta-catenin/TCF transcriptional complex to exploit tumor dependence on Wnt signaling as a therapeutic approach in the treatment of MM. ..
- Kwon C, Qian L, Cheng P, Nigam V, Arnold J, Srivastava D. A regulatory pathway involving Notch1/beta-catenin/Isl1 determines cardiac progenitor cell fate. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:951-7 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a regulatory network controlling CPC expansion and cell fate that involves unanticipated functions of beta-catenin, Notch1 and Isl1 that may be leveraged for regenerative approaches involving CPCs. ..
- Jin Y, Turcotte T, Crocker A, Han X, Yoon J. The canonical Wnt signaling activator, R-spondin2, regulates craniofacial patterning and morphogenesis within the branchial arch through ectodermal-mesenchymal interaction. Dev Biol. 2011;352:1-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study identifies Rspo2 as a mesenchyme-derived factor that plays critical roles in regulating BA1 patterning and morphogenesis through ectodermal-mesenchymal interaction and a novel genetic factor for cleft palate. ..
- Van Veelen W, Le N, Helvensteijn W, Blonden L, Theeuwes M, Bakker E, et al. ?-catenin tyrosine 654 phosphorylation increases Wnt signalling and intestinal tumorigenesis. Gut. 2011;60:1204-12 pubmed publisher..In addition, in contrast to the current belief that ?-catenin Y654 phosphorylation increases tumour progression to a more invasive phenotype, these results show that it rather increases tumour initiation by enhancing Wnt signalling. ..
- Kobayashi A, Stewart C, Wang Y, Fujioka K, Thomas N, Jamin S, et al. ?-Catenin is essential for Müllerian duct regression during male sexual differentiation. Development. 2011;138:1967-75 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ?-catenin mediates AMH signaling for Müllerian duct regression during male sexual differentiation. ..
- Harada N, Oshima H, Katoh M, Tamai Y, Oshima M, Taketo M. Hepatocarcinogenesis in mice with beta-catenin and Ha-ras gene mutations. Cancer Res. 2004;64:48-54 pubmed..a mouse strain containing a mutant beta-catenin allele of which exon 3 was sandwiched by loxP sequences [Catnb(lox(ex3))]...
- Torban E, Wang H, Patenaude A, Riccomagno M, Daniels E, Epstein D, et al. Tissue, cellular and sub-cellular localization of the Vangl2 protein during embryonic development: effect of the Lp mutation. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:346-54 pubmed
- Machon O, Backman M, Machonova O, Kozmik Z, Vacik T, Andersen L, et al. A dynamic gradient of Wnt signaling controls initiation of neurogenesis in the mammalian cortex and cellular specification in the hippocampus. Dev Biol. 2007;311:223-37 pubmed..This suggests that the dose of canonical Wnt signaling determines cellular fate in the developing cortex and hippocampus, and that recession of Wnt signaling acts as a morphogenetic gradient regulating neurogenesis in the cortex. ..
- Delmas V, Beermann F, Martinozzi S, Carreira S, Ackermann J, Kumasaka M, et al. Beta-catenin induces immortalization of melanocytes by suppressing p16INK4a expression and cooperates with N-Ras in melanoma development. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2923-35 pubmed..The results reveal that synergy between the Wnt and mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase pathways may represent an important mechanism underpinning the genesis of melanoma, a highly aggressive and increasingly common disease. ..
- Chang H, Guillou F, Taketo M, Behringer R. Overactive beta-catenin signaling causes testicular sertoli cell tumor development in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:842-9 pubmed publisher..These studies show a causal link between overactive WNT/beta-catenin signaling and Sertoli cell tumor development and provide a novel mouse model for the study of Sertoli cell tumor biology...
- Schwitalla S, Fingerle A, Cammareri P, Nebelsiek T, Göktuna S, Ziegler P, et al. Intestinal tumorigenesis initiated by dedifferentiation and acquisition of stem-cell-like properties. Cell. 2013;152:25-38 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data support the concept of bidirectional conversion and highlight the importance of inflammatory signaling for dedifferentiation and generation of tumor-initiating cells in vivo. ..
- Schmidt Ullrich R, Paus R. Molecular principles of hair follicle induction and morphogenesis. Bioessays. 2005;27:247-61 pubmed..The focus is on recent insights into the molecular interactions leading to hair follicle induction, and we close with synthesizing a corresponding working hypothesis. ..
- Rosenbauer F, Owens B, Yu L, Tumang J, Steidl U, Kutok J, et al. Lymphoid cell growth and transformation are suppressed by a key regulatory element of the gene encoding PU.1. Nat Genet. 2006;38:27-37 pubmed..These results elucidate how a single transcription factor, PU.1, through the cell context-specific activity of a key cis-regulatory element, affects the development of multiple cell lineages and can induce cancer. ..
- Kennedy K, Porter T, Mehta V, Ryan S, Price F, Peshdary V, et al. Retinoic acid enhances skeletal muscle progenitor formation and bypasses inhibition by bone morphogenetic protein 4 but not dominant negative beta-catenin. BMC Biol. 2009;7:67 pubmed publisher..Finally, since RA enhances skeletal muscle progenitor formation, it will be a valuable tool for designing future stem cell therapies. ..
- Roose J, Molenaar M, Peterson J, Hurenkamp J, Brantjes H, Moerer P, et al. The Xenopus Wnt effector XTcf-3 interacts with Groucho-related transcriptional repressors. Nature. 1998;395:608-12 pubmed..These data indicate that expression of Tcf target genes is regulated by a balance between Armadillo and Groucho. ..
- Kielman M, Rindapää M, Gaspar C, van Poppel N, Breukel C, van Leeuwen S, et al. Apc modulates embryonic stem-cell differentiation by controlling the dosage of beta-catenin signaling. Nat Genet. 2002;32:594-605 pubmedThe Wnt signal-transduction pathway induces the nuclear translocation of membrane-bound beta-catenin (Catnb) and has a key role in cell-fate determination...
- Mohamed O, Clarke H, Dufort D. Beta-catenin signaling marks the prospective site of primitive streak formation in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:416-24 pubmed
- Gounari F, Chang R, Cowan J, Guo Z, Dose M, Gounaris E, et al. Loss of adenomatous polyposis coli gene function disrupts thymic development. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:800-9 pubmed..Thus, loss of APC in immature thymocytes has consequences distinct from those of deregulation of beta-catenin signaling and is essential for T cell differentiation. ..
- Hu Y, Chen Y, Douglas L, Li S. beta-Catenin is essential for survival of leukemic stem cells insensitive to kinase inhibition in mice with BCR-ABL-induced chronic myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2009;23:109-16 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that beta-catenin in the Wnt signaling pathway is essential for survival and self-renewal of LSCs, providing a new strategy for targeting these cells. ..
- Joksimovic M, Yun B, Kittappa R, Anderegg A, Chang W, Taketo M, et al. Wnt antagonism of Shh facilitates midbrain floor plate neurogenesis. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:125-31 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate how the dynamic interplay of canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and Shh may orchestrate floor plate neurogenesis or a lack thereof. ..
- Manicassamy S, Reizis B, Ravindran R, Nakaya H, Salazar Gonzalez R, Wang Y, et al. Activation of beta-catenin in dendritic cells regulates immunity versus tolerance in the intestine. Science. 2010;329:849-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, beta-catenin signaling programs DCs to a tolerogenic state, limiting the inflammatory response. ..
- Lehtinen M, Zappaterra M, Chen X, Yang Y, Hill A, Lun M, et al. The cerebrospinal fluid provides a proliferative niche for neural progenitor cells. Neuron. 2011;69:893-905 pubmed publisher..The temporal control of CSF composition may have critical relevance to normal development and neuropathological conditions...
- Boerboom D, White L, Dalle S, Courty J, Richards J. Dominant-stable beta-catenin expression causes cell fate alterations and Wnt signaling antagonist expression in a murine granulosa cell tumor model. Cancer Res. 2006;66:1964-73 pubmed..that misregulated Wnt/beta-catenin signaling occurs in ovarian granulosa cell tumors (GCT) and have created the Catnb(flox(ex3)/+);Amhr2(cre/+) mouse model, which expresses a dominant-stable mutant of beta-catenin in granulosa cells ..
- Wu R, Hendrix Lucas N, Kuick R, Zhai Y, Schwartz D, Akyol A, et al. Mouse model of human ovarian endometrioid adenocarcinoma based on somatic defects in the Wnt/beta-catenin and PI3K/Pten signaling pathways. Cancer Cell. 2007;11:321-33 pubmed..The biological behavior and gene expression patterns of the murine cancers resemble those of human OEAs with defects in the Wnt/beta-catenin and PI3K/Pten pathways. ..
- Naik S, Piwnica Worms D. Real-time imaging of beta-catenin dynamics in cells and living mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17465-70 pubmed..These beta-cat reporters represent a powerful new strategy for identifying in cellulo and in vivo dynamic regulators and mechanism-based therapeutics of signaling pathways mediated by beta-cat stabilization. ..
- Yokota Y, Kim W, Chen Y, Wang X, Stanco A, Komuro Y, et al. The adenomatous polyposis coli protein is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and construction of the cerebral cortex. Neuron. 2009;61:42-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, APC is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and is critical for the construction of cerebral cortex in mammals. ..
- Plageman T, Chung M, Lou M, Smith A, Hildebrand J, Wallingford J, et al. Pax6-dependent Shroom3 expression regulates apical constriction during lens placode invagination. Development. 2010;137:405-15 pubmed publisher..This provides a previously missing link between lens-induction pathways and the morphogenesis machinery and partly explains the absence of lens morphogenesis in Pax6-deficient mutants. ..
- Wang H, Li T, Kidder G. WNT2 regulates DNA synthesis in mouse granulosa cells through beta-catenin. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:865-75 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the data indicate that WNT2 regulates beta-catenin localization in granulosa cells, and WNT2/beta-catenin signaling contributes to regulating their proliferation. ..
- Stemmler M, Bedzhov I. A Cdh1HA knock-in allele rescues the Cdh1-/- phenotype but shows essential Cdh1 function during placentation. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2330-44 pubmed publisher..Placentas without Cdh1 expression are impaired and incapable of establishing a proper connection between the embryonic and the maternal blood vessels for efficient nutrient and oxygen transport. ..
- Munji R, Choe Y, Li G, Siegenthaler J, Pleasure S. Wnt signaling regulates neuronal differentiation of cortical intermediate progenitors. J Neurosci. 2011;31:1676-87 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings suggest that dysregulation of Wnt signaling can lead to developmental defects similar to human cortical malformation disorders. ..
- L Episcopo F, Serapide M, Tirolo C, Testa N, Caniglia S, Morale M, et al. A Wnt1 regulated Frizzled-1/?-Catenin signaling pathway as a candidate regulatory circuit controlling mesencephalic dopaminergic neuron-astrocyte crosstalk: Therapeutical relevance for neuron survival and neuroprotection. Mol Neurodegener. 2011;6:49 pubmed publisher
- Li Q, Ishikawa T, Oshima M, Taketo M. The threshold level of adenomatous polyposis coli protein for mouse intestinal tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2005;65:8622-7 pubmed..We further estimated the threshold of APC protein level that forms one polyp per mouse as approximately 15% of the wild type. These results also suggest therapeutic implications concerning Wnt signaling inhibitors. ..
- Benhamouche S, Decaens T, Godard C, Chambrey R, Rickman D, Moinard C, et al. Apc tumor suppressor gene is the "zonation-keeper" of mouse liver. Dev Cell. 2006;10:759-70 pubmed..From our results, we propose that Apc is the liver "zonation-keeper" gene. ..
- Zhao C, Blum J, Chen A, Kwon H, Jung S, Cook J, et al. Loss of beta-catenin impairs the renewal of normal and CML stem cells in vivo. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:528-41 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that Wnt signaling is required for the self-renewal of normal and neoplastic stem cells in the hematopoietic system. ..
- Lewis S, Khoo P, De Young R, Steiner K, Wilcock C, Mukhopadhyay M, et al. Dkk1 and Wnt3 interact to control head morphogenesis in the mouse. Development. 2008;135:1791-801 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight that head development is sensitive to the level of WNT3 signalling and that DKK1 is the key antagonist that modulates WNT3 activity during anterior morphogenesis...
- Guigon C, Zhao L, Lu C, Willingham M, Cheng S. Regulation of beta-catenin by a novel nongenomic action of thyroid hormone beta receptor. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4598-608 pubmed publisher..The stabilization of beta-catenin, via association with a mutated TRbeta, represents a novel activating mechanism of the oncogenic protein beta-catenin that could contribute to thyroid carcinogenesis in TRbeta(PV/PV) mice. ..
- Yadav V, Ryu J, Suda N, Tanaka K, Gingrich J, Schutz G, et al. Lrp5 controls bone formation by inhibiting serotonin synthesis in the duodenum. Cell. 2008;135:825-37 pubmed publisher..By identifying duodenum-derived serotonin as a hormone inhibiting bone formation in an Lrp5-dependent manner, this study broadens our understanding of bone remodeling and suggests potential therapies to increase bone mass. ..
- Tanwar P, Zhang L, Tanaka Y, Taketo M, Donahoe P, TEIXEIRA J. Focal Mullerian duct retention in male mice with constitutively activated beta-catenin expression in the Mullerian duct mesenchyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:16142-7 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that dysregulated Wnt/?-catenin signaling in the MD mesenchyme might also be a contributing factor in persistent Müllerian duct syndrome, a form of male pseudohermaphroditism, and development of spermatoceles. ..
- Li V, Ng S, Boersema P, Low T, Karthaus W, Gerlach J, et al. Wnt signaling through inhibition of ?-catenin degradation in an intact Axin1 complex. Cell. 2012;149:1245-56 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, newly synthesized ?-catenin can accumulate in a free cytosolic form and engage nuclear TCF transcription factors. ..
- Carter M, Chen X, Slowinska B, Minnerath S, Glickstein S, Shi L, et al. Crooked tail (Cd) model of human folate-responsive neural tube defects is mutated in Wnt coreceptor lipoprotein receptor-related protein 6. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12843-8 pubmed..The Lrp6 mutation in Cd mice provides evidence for a functional connection between Wnt signaling and folate rescue of neural tube defects. ..
- Fu X, Sun H, Klein W, Mu X. Beta-catenin is essential for lamination but not neurogenesis in mouse retinal development. Dev Biol. 2006;299:424-37 pubmed..The results further imply that retinal lamination and retinal cell differentiation are genetically separable processes. ..
- Iwatsuki K, Liu H, Grónder A, Singer M, Lane T, Grosschedl R, et al. Wnt signaling interacts with Shh to regulate taste papilla development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2253-8 pubmed..Our observations indicate that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and interactions between the Wnt and Shh pathways play essential roles in the development of fungiform papillae. ..
- Jonckheere N, Mayes E, Shih H, Li B, Lioubinski O, Dai X, et al. Analysis of mPygo2 mutant mice suggests a requirement for mesenchymal Wnt signaling in pancreatic growth and differentiation. Dev Biol. 2008;318:224-35 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest a previously unappreciated role for mesenchymal Wnt signaling in regulating pancreatic organ growth and cell differentiation. ..
- Fuhrmann S, Riesenberg A, Mathiesen A, Brown E, Vetter M, Brown N. Characterization of a transient TCF/LEF-responsive progenitor population in the embryonic mouse retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:432-40 pubmed publisher..TCF/LEF activation in the central retina does not correlate with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling, pointing to an alternate role for this transcription factor family during retinal development. ..
- Zhang Y, Tomann P, Andl T, Gallant N, Huelsken J, Jerchow B, et al. Reciprocal requirements for EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathways in hair follicle induction. Dev Cell. 2009;17:49-61 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a complex interplay and interdependence of Wnt/beta-catenin and EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB signaling pathways in initiation and maintenance of primary hair follicle placodes...
- Suriben R, Kivimäe S, Fisher D, Moon R, Cheyette B. Posterior malformations in Dact1 mutant mice arise through misregulated Vangl2 at the primitive streak. Nat Genet. 2009;41:977-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dact1 contributes to morphogenesis at the primitive streak by regulating Vangl2 upstream of cell adhesion and the PCP pathway. ..
- Behari J, Yeh T, Krauland L, Otruba W, Cieply B, Hauth B, et al. Liver-specific beta-catenin knockout mice exhibit defective bile acid and cholesterol homeostasis and increased susceptibility to diet-induced steatohepatitis. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:744-53 pubmed publisher..Therefore, loss of beta-catenin in the liver leads to defective cholesterol and bile acid metabolism in the liver and increased susceptibility to developing steatohepatitis in the face of metabolic stress. ..
- Kelly K, Ng D, Jayakumaran G, Wood G, Koide H, Doble B. ?-catenin enhances Oct-4 activity and reinforces pluripotency through a TCF-independent mechanism. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:214-27 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest previously underappreciated, divergent TCF-dependent and TCF-independent roles for ?-catenin in ESCs. ..
- Rudloff S, Kemler R. Differential requirements for ?-catenin during mouse development. Development. 2012;139:3711-21 pubmed..In conclusion, by restricting its expression we determine the level of ?-catenin required for adhesion or pluripotency and during different morphogenetic events. ..
- Andl T, Reddy S, Gaddapara T, Millar S. WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle development. Dev Cell. 2002;2:643-53 pubmed..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation. ..
- Rowlands T, Pechenkina I, Hatsell S, Pestell R, Cowin P. Dissecting the roles of beta-catenin and cyclin D1 during mammary development and neoplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:11400-5 pubmed..Thus, alveologenesis is a two-step process, and cyclin D1 activity during late alveologenesis cannot be replaced by the activity of other beta-catenin target genes that successfully drive proliferation at earlier stages. ..
- Guo X, Day T, Jiang X, Garrett Beal L, Topol L, Yang Y. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is sufficient and necessary for synovial joint formation. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2404-17 pubmed..Wnt4, Wnt14, and Wnt16 may play redundant roles in synovial joint induction by signaling through the beta-catenin-mediated canonical Wnt pathway. ..
- Gao X, Arlotta P, Macklis J, Chen J. Conditional knock-out of beta-catenin in postnatal-born dentate gyrus granule neurons results in dendritic malformation. J Neurosci. 2007;27:14317-25 pubmed..Our results indicate that beta-catenin plays an important role in dendritic development of postnatal-born neurons in vivo, and is therefore essential for the neurogenesis in the postnatal brain. ..