Genomes and Genes
beta carotene 15 15 dioxygenase
Gene Symbol: beta carotene 15 15 dioxygenase
Description: beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase
Alias: Bcdo, Bcdo1, CMO1, Cmoi, beta-CD, betaCMOOX, beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase, beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase, beta-carotene 15, 15'-dioxygenase 1, beta-carotene 15,15' dioxygenase, beta-carotene cleavage enzyme, beta-carotene dioxygenase 1, carotenoid-15,15'-oxygenase
- Expression and characterization of a murine enzyme able to cleave beta-carotene. The formation of retinoidsJ Paik
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 276:32160-8. 2001..5 and 8.5 days postcoitus. This work offers new insights for understanding the biochemistry of carotene cleavage to retinoids...
- Knockout of the Bcmo1 gene results in an inflammatory response in female lung, which is suppressed by dietary beta-caroteneYvonne G J van Helden
Department of Human and Animal Physiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 338, 6700 AH, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Cell Mol Life Sci 67:2039-56. 2010..This suggests that effects of BC may depend on inter-individual variations in BC-metabolizing enzymes, such as the frequently occurring human polymorphisms in BCMO1...
- ISX is a retinoic acid-sensitive gatekeeper that controls intestinal beta,beta-carotene absorption and vitamin A productionGlenn P Lobo
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44160, USA
FASEB J 24:1656-66. 2010....
- Lycopene biodistribution is altered in 15,15'-carotenoid monooxygenase knockout miceBrian L Lindshield
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 138:2367-71. 2008..In conclusion, CMO I KO mice fed low levels of vitamin A have altered lycopene biodistribution and isomer patterns and do not cleave beta-carotene to vitamin A at appreciable levels...
- Identification of beta-carotene 15, 15'-monooxygenase as a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor target geneAna Boulanger
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2740, USA
FASEB J 17:1304-6. 2003....
- CMO1 deficiency abolishes vitamin A production from beta-carotene and alters lipid metabolism in miceSusanne Hessel
Institute of Biology I, Animal Physiology and Neurobiology, Hauptstrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:33553-61. 2007..Two different carotenoid-cleaving enzymes were identified in mammals, the classical carotenoid-15,15'-oxygenase (CMO1) and a putative carotenoid-9',10'-oxygenase (CMO2)...
- Identification, expression, and substrate specificity of a mammalian beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenaseT M Redmond
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 276:6560-5. 2001..Identification of beta-CD in an accessible model organism will create new opportunities to study vitamin A metabolism...
- In vitro and in vivo characterization of retinoid synthesis from beta-caroteneYvette Fierce
Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, Raitt Hall 324, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 472:126-38. 2008..Our studies provide new insights into the regulation of BCMO1 activity and the physiological role of BCMO1 in living organisms...
- Key role of conserved histidines in recombinant mouse beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase-1 activityEugenia Poliakov
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0706, USA
J Biol Chem 280:29217-23. 2005..These data are discussed in the context of the predicted structure for the related eubacterial apocarotenal oxygenase...
- An interaction between carotene-15,15'-monooxygenase expression and consumption of a tomato or lycopene-containing diet impacts serum and testicular testosteroneNikki A Ford
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Int J Cancer 131:E143-8. 2012..Furthermore, carefully controlled studies with tomato products and lycopene in genetically defined murine models may elucidate important diet × genetic interactions that may impact prostate cancer risk...
- Physiological and genomic consequences of adrenergic deficiency during embryonic/fetal development in mice: impact on retinoic acid metabolismKingsley Osuala
Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, Florida 32827, USA
Physiol Genomics 44:934-47. 2012....
- Boc modifies the holoprosencephaly spectrum of Cdo mutant miceWei Zhang
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Dis Model Mech 4:368-80. 2011....
- An electrokinetic route to rapid synthesis of nickel hydroxide and nickel oxide nanotubesXing Hua Li
Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Life Science, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 10:5191-5. 2010..The transmission electron microscope (TEM) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) were used to characterize the morphology and structure of the nanotubes...
- β-Carotene and its cleavage enzyme β-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) affect retinoid metabolism in developing tissuesYoun Kyung Kim
Department of Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
FASEB J 25:1641-52. 2011..Carotene is the major human dietary provitamin A. β-Carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) has been proposed as the main enzyme generating retinoid from β-carotene in vivo...
- Beta-carotene reduces body adiposity of mice via BCMO1Jaume Amengual
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Nutrition and Biotechnology, Universitat de les Illes Balears and CIBER de Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición CIBEROBN, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e20644. 2011..Our study evidences an important role of BC for the control of body adiposity in mice and identifies Bcmo1 as critical molecular player for the regulation of PPARγ activity in adipocytes...
- Beta-carotene affects gene expression in lungs of male and female Bcmo1 (-/-) mice in opposite directionsYvonne G J van Helden
Human and Animal Physiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 338, 6700 AH Wageningen, The Netherlands
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:489-504. 2011..Moreover, effects of BC may depend on the presence of frequent human BCMO1 polymorphisms, since these effects were not found in wild-type mice...
- Downregulation of Fzd6 and Cthrc1 and upregulation of olfactory receptors and protocadherins by dietary beta-carotene in lungs of Bcmo1-/- miceYvonne G J van Helden
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Carcinogenesis 31:1329-37. 2010..A role for BC in the innervated PNEC cluster might be of particular importance in smoke-induced carcinogenesis since PNEC-derived lung cancer is highly associated with tobacco smoke...
- Hepatic stellate cells are an important cellular site for β-carotene conversion to retinoidIgor Shmarakov
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 504:3-10. 2010..Collectively, our data establish that HSCs are an important cellular site for β-carotene accumulation and metabolism within the liver...
- Biochemical evidence for the tyrosine involvement in cationic intermediate stabilization in mouse beta-carotene 15, 15'-monooxygenaseEugenia Poliakov
National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 0608, USA
BMC Biochem 10:31. 2009..Enzymatic activity was measured in vitro using His-tag purified proteins and in vivo in a beta-carotene-accumulating E. coli system...
- Cadmium induces retinoic acid signaling by regulating retinoic acid metabolic gene expressionYuxia Cui
Comparative Genomics Group, Laboratory of Molecular Toxicology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Durham, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24925-32. 2009..These results indicate that cadmium-induced teratogenicity may be due to the ability of the metal to increase the levels of retinoic acid by disrupting the expression of retinoic acid-metabolizing genes...
- Isx participates in the maintenance of vitamin A metabolism by regulation of beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase (Bcmo1) expressionYusuke Seino
Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:4905-11. 2008..These data suggest that Isx participates in the maintenance of vitamin A metabolism by regulating Bcmo1 expression in the intestine...
- Measurement of retinoids and beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase activity in HR-1 hairless mouse skin with UV exposureAtsuko Takeda
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka Medical College, 2 7 Daigakumachi, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 8686, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 49:69-72. 2003..In conclusion, the elevation of beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase activity in hairless mice after UV exposure may be a response to reduction of the skin retinoid concentration...
- Provitamin A conversion to retinal via the beta,beta-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (bcox) is essential for pattern formation and differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesisJohanna M Lampert
Neurobiology and Animal Physiology, Institute of Biology I, University of Freiburg, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Development 130:2173-86. 2003....
- Cloning and characterization of a human beta,beta-carotene-15,15'-dioxygenase that is highly expressed in the retinal pigment epitheliumW Yan
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 21287, USA
Genomics 72:193-202. 2001..beta,beta-Carotene-15,15'-dioxygenase (Bcdo), the enzyme that catalyzes the oxidative cleavage of beta,beta-carotene into two retinal molecules, plays an ..
- Expression pattern and localization of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase in different tissuesA Wyss
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Biochem J 354:521-9. 2001..These new findings demonstrate that beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase is also expressed in epithelial structures, where it serves to provide the tissue-specific vitamin A supply...
- Cloning and expression of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenaseA Wyss
Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, F Hoffmann LaRoche Ltd, Basel, 4070, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:334-6. 2000..We cloned the first eukaryotic beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase which symmetrically cleaves beta-carotene at the 15,15'-double bond...