Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Batf3
Description: basic leucine zipper transcription factor, ATF-like 3
Alias: 9130211I03Rik, Snft, basic leucine zipper transcriptional factor ATF-like 3, B-ATF-3, Jun dimerization protein p21SNFT
- King I, Amiel E, Tighe M, Mohrs K, Veerapen N, Besra G, et al. The mechanism of splenic invariant NKT cell activation dictates localization in vivo. J Immunol. 2013;191:572-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide new insight into how iNKT cells may serve as a natural adjuvant in facilitating adaptive immune responses, irrespective of their tissue localization. ..
- Edelson B, Bradstreet T, Kc W, Hildner K, Herzog J, Sim J, et al. Batf3-dependent CD11b(low/-) peripheral dendritic cells are GM-CSF-independent and are not required for Th cell priming after subcutaneous immunization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25660 pubmed publisher..each being dependent on FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3 ligand (Flt3L), and requiring the transcription factors Batf3, Irf8, and Id2 for development...
- Tussiwand R, Lee W, Murphy T, Mashayekhi M, Kc W, Albring J, et al. Compensatory dendritic cell development mediated by BATF-IRF interactions. Nature. 2012;490:502-7 pubmed publisherThe AP1 transcription factor Batf3 is required for homeostatic development of CD8?(+) classical dendritic cells that prime CD8 T-cell responses against intracellular pathogens...
- Jackson J, Hu Y, Liu R, Masson F, D Amico A, Carotta S, et al. Id2 expression delineates differential checkpoints in the genetic program of CD8?+ and CD103+ dendritic cell lineages. EMBO J. 2011;30:2690-704 pubmed publisher..The transcription factors Id2, Batf3 and Irf-8 are required for many aspects of murine DC differentiation including development of CD8?(+) and CD103(+) ..
- Jiao J, Dragomir A, Kocabayoglu P, Rahman A, Chow A, Hashimoto D, et al. Central role of conventional dendritic cells in regulation of bone marrow release and survival of neutrophils. J Immunol. 2014;192:3374-82 pubmed publisher..Flk2, Flt3L, and Batf3 knockout mice, which have defects in DC development, have increased numbers of liver neutrophils in the steady ..
- Khare A, Krishnamoorthy N, Oriss T, Fei M, Ray P, Ray A. Cutting edge: inhaled antigen upregulates retinaldehyde dehydrogenase in lung CD103+ but not plasmacytoid dendritic cells to induce Foxp3 de novo in CD4+ T cells and promote airway tolerance. J Immunol. 2013;191:25-9 pubmed publisher..b>Batf3(-/-) mice, selectively lacking CD103(+) DCs, failed tolerization by inhaled Ag...
- Hongo D, Tang X, Zhang X, Engleman E, Strober S. Tolerogenic interactions between CD8+ dendritic cells and NKT cells prevent rejection of bone marrow and organ grafts. Blood. 2017;129:1718-1728 pubmed publisher..Thus, reciprocal interactions between CD8+ DCs and invariant NKT cells are required for tolerance induction in this system that was translated into a successful clinical protocol. ..
- Chandra J, Kuo P, Hahn A, Belz G, Frazer I. Batf3 selectively determines acquisition of CD8+ dendritic cell phenotype and function. Immunol Cell Biol. 2017;95:215-223 pubmed publisherb>Batf3 is a transcription factor that impacts the development of CD103+ tissue-resident dendritic cells (DCs). However, whether Batf3 is absolutely required for the development of CD8+ DCs remains controversial...
- Leventhal D, Gilmore D, Berger J, Nishi S, Lee V, Malchow S, et al. Dendritic Cells Coordinate the Development and Homeostasis of Organ-Specific Regulatory T Cells. Immunity. 2016;44:847-59 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Batf3-dependent CD8?(+) DCs were dispensable for the development of this clonotype and had negligible impact on the ..
- Kashem S, Igyarto B, Gerami Nejad M, Kumamoto Y, Mohammed J, Jarrett E, et al. Candida albicans morphology and dendritic cell subsets determine T helper cell differentiation. Immunity. 2015;42:356-366 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insight into compartmentalization of Th cell responses and C. albicans pathogenesis and have critical implications for vaccine strategies. ..
- Trsan T, Busche A, Abram M, Wensveen F, Lemmermann N, Arapovic M, et al. Superior induction and maintenance of protective CD8 T cells in mice infected with mouse cytomegalovirus vector expressing RAE-1?. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:16550-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, vectors expressing RAE-1? represent a promising approach in the development of CD8 T-cell-based vaccines. ..
- Caminschi I, Vremec D, Ahmet F, Lahoud M, Villadangos J, Murphy K, et al. Antibody responses initiated by Clec9A-bearing dendritic cells in normal and Batf3(-/-) mice. Mol Immunol. 2012;50:9-17 pubmed publisher..However targeting of antigen to Clec9A in batf3 null mice produced enhanced antibody responses despite the marked reduction in CD8(+) DC, the major Clec9A-..
- Welty N, Staley C, Ghilardi N, Sadowsky M, Igyarto B, Kaplan D. Intestinal lamina propria dendritic cells maintain T cell homeostasis but do not affect commensalism. J Exp Med. 2013;210:2011-24 pubmed publisher..huLangerin-DTA x BatF3(-/-) mice lacked both CD103(+) LP DC subsets, resulting in defective gut homing and fewer LP T reg cells...
- Satpathy A, Briseño C, Lee J, Ng D, Manieri N, Kc W, et al. Notch2-dependent classical dendritic cells orchestrate intestinal immunity to attaching-and-effacing bacterial pathogens. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:937-48 pubmed publisher..rodentium, but CD103(+) cDCs dependent on the transcription factor Batf3 were not. Our results demonstrate a nonredundant function for CD11b(+) cDCs in the response to pathogens in vivo.
- Engler D, Reuter S, van Wijck Y, Urban S, Kyburz A, Maxeiner J, et al. Effective treatment of allergic airway inflammation with Helicobacter pylori immunomodulators requires BATF3-dependent dendritic cells and IL-10. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:11810-5 pubmed publisher..pylori component and the DC-intrinsic production of IL-10. The basic leucine zipper ATF-like 3 (BATF3)-dependent CD103(+)CD11b(-) dendritic cell lineage is enriched in the lungs of protected mice and strictly ..
- Poulin L, Reyal Y, Uronen Hansson H, Schraml B, Sancho D, Murphy K, et al. DNGR-1 is a specific and universal marker of mouse and human Batf3-dependent dendritic cells in lymphoid and nonlymphoid tissues. Blood. 2012;119:6052-62 pubmed publisher..and functional similarities, as well as a unique shared developmental dependence on the transcription factor Batf3. Human DCs resembling mouse CD8?(+) DCs in phenotype and function have been identified in human blood, spleen, and ..
- Brähler S, Zinselmeyer B, Raju S, Nitschké M, Suleiman H, Saunders B, et al. Opposing Roles of Dendritic Cell Subsets in Experimental GN. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018;29:138-154 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the distinct functions of the two major DC subsets in glomerular inflammation. ..
- Everts B, Tussiwand R, Dreesen L, Fairfax K, Huang S, Smith A, et al. Migratory CD103+ dendritic cells suppress helminth-driven type 2 immunity through constitutive expression of IL-12. J Exp Med. 2016;213:35-51 pubmed publisher..However, their role in type 2 immunity remains unclear. We examined this issue using Batf3(-/-) mice, in which both of these DC subsets are missing...
- SÃ¡nchez Paulete A, Cueto F, MartÃnez LÃ³pez M, Labiano S, Morales Kastresana A, RodrÃguez Ruiz M, et al. Cancer Immunotherapy with Immunomodulatory Anti-CD137 and Anti-PD-1 Monoclonal Antibodies Requires BATF3-Dependent Dendritic Cells. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:71-9 pubmed publisher..Using Batf3(-/-) mice, which are defective for cross-presentation of cell-associated antigens, we show that BATF3-dependent ..
- Zhang Y, Tam J, Mena P, van der Velden A, Bliska J. CCR2+ Inflammatory Dendritic Cells and Translocation of Antigen by Type III Secretion Are Required for the Exceptionally Large CD8+ T Cell Response to the Protective YopE69-77 Epitope during Yersinia Infection. PLoS Pathog. 2015;11:e1005167 pubmed publisher..pseudotuberculosis infection represents a novel mechanism for generating a massive and protective adaptive immune response. ..
- Kedl R, Lindsay R, Finlon J, Lucas E, Friedman R, Tamburini B. Migratory dendritic cells acquire and present lymphatic endothelial cell-archived antigens during lymph node contraction. Nat Commun. 2017;8:2034 pubmed publisher..After vaccination, both migratory basic leucine zipper ATF-like transcription factor 3 (BatF3)-dependent and BatF3-independent DCs are responsible for antigen exchange and cross-presentation...
- Sinclair C, Bommakanti G, Gardinassi L, Loebbermann J, Johnson M, Hakimpour P, et al. mTOR regulates metabolic adaptation of APCs in the lung and controls the outcome of allergic inflammation. Science. 2017;357:1014-1021 pubmed publisher..mTOR therefore mediates metabolic adaptation of APCs in distinct tissues, influencing the immunological character of allergic inflammation. ..
- Olvera Gomez I, Hamilton S, Xiao Z, Guimaraes C, Ploegh H, Hogquist K, et al. Cholera toxin activates nonconventional adjuvant pathways that induce protective CD8 T-cell responses after epicutaneous vaccination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:2072-7 pubmed publisher..However, CT adjuvanticity required type-I IFN sensitivity, participation of a Batf3-dependent dendritic cell (DC) population and engagement of CT with suitable gangliosides...
- Smyth L, Ratnasothy K, Moreau A, Alcock S, Sagoo P, Meader L, et al. Tolerogenic Donor-Derived Dendritic Cells Risk Sensitization In Vivo owing to Processing and Presentation by Recipient APCs. J Immunol. 2013;190:4848-60 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings highlight the risks and limitations of negative vaccination using alloantigen-bearing "tolerogenic" DCs. ..
- Jaiswal H, Kaushik M, Sougrat R, Gupta M, Dey A, Verma R, et al. Batf3 and Id2 have a synergistic effect on Irf8-directed classical CD8Î±+ dendritic cell development. J Immunol. 2013;191:5993-6001 pubmed publisher..Irf8 expression in DC9 cells led to an increase in Id2 and Batf3 transcript levels, transcription factors shown to be important for the development of CD8Î±(+) DCs...
- Ali O, Verbeke C, Johnson C, Sands R, Lewin S, White D, et al. Identification of immune factors regulating antitumor immunity using polymeric vaccines with multiple adjuvants. Cancer Res. 2014;74:1670-81 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, vaccine studies in Batf3(-/-) mice revealed that CD8(+) DCs are required to affect tumor protection, as vaccines in these mice were ..
- Mott K, Maazi H, Allen S, Zandian M, Matundan H, Ghiasi Y, et al. Batf3 deficiency is not critical for the generation of CD8Î±âº dendritic cells. Immunobiology. 2015;220:518-24 pubmed publisher..In the current study, we investigated whether similar results can be obtained using Batf3(-/-) mice that previously were reported to lack CD8Î±(+) DCs...
- Trautwein Weidner K, Gladiator A, Kirchner F, Becattini S, RÃ¼licke T, Sallusto F, et al. Antigen-Specific Th17 Cells Are Primed by Distinct and Complementary Dendritic Cell Subsets in Oropharyngeal Candidiasis. PLoS Pathog. 2015;11:e1005164 pubmed publisher..This highlights the functional compartmentalization of specific DC subsets in different tissues. These data provide important new insights to our understanding of tissue-specific antifungal immunity. ..
- Dragovic S, Hill T, Christianson G, Kim S, Elliott T, Scott D, et al. Proteasomes, TAP, and endoplasmic reticulum-associated aminopeptidase associated with antigen processing control CD4+ Th cell responses by regulating indirect presentation of MHC class II-restricted cytoplasmic antigens. J Immunol. 2011;186:6683-92 pubmed publisher..From these findings, a novel model emerged in which the cytosolic Ag-processing machinery regulates the quantity of cytoplasmic peptides available for presentation by class II molecules and, hence, modulates Th cell responses...
- Krishnaswamy J, Gowthaman U, Zhang B, Mattsson J, Szeponik L, Liu D, et al. Migratory CD11b+ conventional dendritic cells induce T follicular helper cell-dependent antibody responses. Sci Immunol. 2017;2: pubmed publisher..knockout mice, respectively, led to reduced Tfh cell priming, whereas loss of CD103+ cDC1s in Batf3-/- mice did not...
- Li Y, Liu X, Duan W, Tian H, Zhu G, He H, et al. Batf3-dependent CD8?+ Dendritic Cells Aggravates Atherosclerosis via Th1 Cell Induction and Enhanced CCL5 Expression in Plaque Macrophages. EBioMedicine. 2017;18:188-198 pubmed publisher..However, the role of the basic leucine zipper transcription factor, ATF-like 3 (Batf3)-dependent CD8?+ DC subset in atherogenesis remains unclear...
- Chudnovskiy A, Mortha A, Kana V, Kennard A, Ramírez J, Rahman A, et al. Host-Protozoan Interactions Protect from Mucosal Infections through Activation of the Inflammasome. Cell. 2016;167:444-456.e14 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a novel mutualistic host-protozoan interaction that increases mucosal host defenses at the cost of an increased risk of inflammatory disease. ..
- Briseño C, Haldar M, Kretzer N, Wu X, Theisen D, Kc W, et al. Distinct Transcriptional Programs Control Cross-Priming in Classical and Monocyte-Derived Dendritic Cells. Cell Rep. 2016;15:2462-74 pubmed publisher..Mo-DCs capable of efficient cross-priming required both GM-CSF and IL-4 and was accompanied by the induction of Batf3 and Irf4...
- Nobs S, Schneider C, Heer A, Huotari J, Helenius A, Kopf M. PI3K? Is Critical for Dendritic Cell-Mediated CD8+ T Cell Priming and Viral Clearance during Influenza Virus Infection. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12:e1005508 pubmed publisher..We thus identify PI3K? as a novel key host protective factor in influenza virus infection and shed light on an unappreciated layer of complexity concerning the role of PI3K signaling in this context. ..
- Xiao X, Shi X, Fan Y, Zhang X, Wu M, Lan P, et al. GITR subverts Foxp3(+) Tregs to boost Th9 immunity through regulation of histone acetylation. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8266 pubmed publisher..Thus, Th9 cells and iTregs are developmentally linked and GITR can subvert tolerogenic conditions to boost Th9 immunity. ..
- MartÃnez LÃ³pez M, Iborra S, Conde Garrosa R, Sancho D. Batf3-dependent CD103+ dendritic cells are major producers of IL-12 that drive local Th1 immunity against Leishmania major infection in mice. Eur J Immunol. 2015;45:119-29 pubmed publisher..major) infection is debated. The transcription factor basic leucine zipper transcription factor, ATF-like 3 (Batf3) is essential for the development of mouse CD103(+) DCs and some functions of CD8Î±(+) DCs...
- Van Kaer L, Algood H, Singh K, Parekh V, Greer M, Piazuelo M, et al. CD8Î±Î±âº innate-type lymphocytes in the intestinal epithelium mediate mucosal immunity. Immunity. 2014;41:451-464 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a critical role of iCD8Î± cells in immune responses associated with the intestinal epithelium. ..
- Kim T, Gorski S, Hahn S, Murphy K, Braciale T. Distinct dendritic cell subsets dictate the fate decision between effector and memory CD8(+) T cell differentiation by a CD24-dependent mechanism. Immunity. 2014;40:400-13 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, CD24 was shown to regulate CD8(+) T cell activation through HMGB1-mediated engagement of T cell RAGE. Thus, there is distribution of labor among DC subsets in regulating CD8(+) T cell differentiation. ..
- Lau C, Nish S, Yogev N, Waisman A, Reiner S, Reizis B. Leukemia-associated activating mutation of Flt3 expands dendritic cells and alters T cell responses. J Exp Med. 2016;213:415-31 pubmed publisher..Both canonical Batf3-dependent CD8(+) cDCs and noncanonical CD8(+) cDCs were expanded and showed specific alterations in their ..
- Ruane D, Chorny A, Lee H, Faith J, Pandey G, Shan M, et al. Microbiota regulate the ability of lung dendritic cells to induce IgA class-switch recombination and generate protective gastrointestinal immune responses. J Exp Med. 2016;213:53-73 pubmed publisher..Herein, we demonstrate an unexpected role of the microbiota in modulating the protective efficacy of intranasal vaccination through their effect on the IgA class-switching function of LDCs. ..
- Sun T, Rojas O, Li C, Ward L, Philpott D, Gommerman J. Intestinal Batf3-dependent dendritic cells are required for optimal antiviral T-cell responses in adult and neonatal mice. Mucosal Immunol. 2017;10:775-788 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that in adult mice, Batf3-dependent DCs were required for generating optimal RV-specific CD8+ T-cell responses...
- Prato S, Zhan Y, Mintern J, Villadangos J. Rapid deletion and inactivation of CTLs upon recognition of a number of target cells over a critical threshold. J Immunol. 2013;191:3534-44 pubmed publisher..Our results advocate the use of adoptive CTL therapy soon after mild chemotherapy. They also suggest a simple mechanism for Ag-specific impairment of anti-self CTLs in the face of an active anti-foreign CTL response. ..
- Sahoo A, Alekseev A, Tanaka K, Obertas L, Lerman B, Haymaker C, et al. Batf is important for IL-4 expression in T follicular helper cells. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7997 pubmed publisher..Our results thus indicate a positive role of Batf in promoting the generation of pro-allergic IL-4-producing Tfh cells. ..
- Nobs S, Schneider C, Dietrich M, Brocker T, Rolink A, Hirsch E, et al. PI3-Kinase-Î³ Has a Distinct and Essential Role in Lung-Specific Dendritic Cell Development. Immunity. 2015;43:674-89 pubmed publisher..Thus we identified PI3KÎ³ as an essential organ-specific regulator of lung DC development and discovered a signaling network regulating tissue-specific DC development mediated by FLT3. ..