Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: B7 1
Description: CD80 antigen
Alias: B71, Cd28l, Ly-53, Ly53, MIC17, TSA1, T-lymphocyte activation antigen CD80, B7 protein, activation B7-1 antigen
Products: B7 1
- Borriello F, Sethna M, Boyd S, Schweitzer A, Tivol E, Jacoby D, et al. B7-1 and B7-2 have overlapping, critical roles in immunoglobulin class switching and germinal center formation. Immunity. 1997;6:303-13 pubmed..Thus, B7-2 has an important role in initiating antibody responses in the absence of adjuvant, but the induction of B7-1 by adjuvant in B7-2-deficient mice can compensate for the absence of B7-2. ..
- Schweitzer A, Sharpe A. Studies using antigen-presenting cells lacking expression of both B7-1 (CD80) and B7-2 (CD86) show distinct requirements for B7 molecules during priming versus restimulation of Th2 but not Th1 cytokine production. J Immunol. 1998;161:2762-71 pubmed
- Chang T, Jabs C, Sobel R, Kuchroo V, Sharpe A. Studies in B7-deficient mice reveal a critical role for B7 costimulation in both induction and effector phases of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Exp Med. 1999;190:733-40 pubmed
- Vinh A, Chen W, Blinder Y, Weiss D, Taylor W, Goronzy J, et al. Inhibition and genetic ablation of the B7/CD28 T-cell costimulation axis prevents experimental hypertension. Circulation. 2010;122:2529-37 pubmed publisher..T-cell costimulation via B7 ligands is essential for development of experimental hypertension, and inhibition of this process could have therapeutic benefit in the treatment of this disease. ..
- Buhlmann J, Elkin S, Sharpe A. A role for the B7-1/B7-2:CD28/CTLA-4 pathway during negative selection. J Immunol. 2003;170:5421-8 pubmed..Finally, CTLA-4 delivers signals that inhibit selection, suggesting that CTLA-4 and CD28 have opposing functions in thymic development. Combined, the data demonstrate that B7-1/B7-2-dependent signals help shape the T cell repertoire. ..
- June C, Bluestone J, Nadler L, Thompson C. The B7 and CD28 receptor families. Immunol Today. 1994;15:321-31 pubmed..Here, Carl June and colleagues highlight recent advances in the understanding of the CD28 and B7 receptor families. ..
- Bhatia S, Sun K, Almo S, Nathenson S, Hodes R. Dynamic equilibrium of B7-1 dimers and monomers differentially affects immunological synapse formation and T cell activation in response to TCR/CD28 stimulation. J Immunol. 2010;184:1821-8 pubmed publisher..These events regulate signaling through TCR/CD28 to maximize T cell activation to proliferation. ..
- Kreisel D, Krupnick A, Balsara K, Riha M, Gelman A, Popma S, et al. Mouse vascular endothelium activates CD8+ T lymphocytes in a B7-dependent fashion. J Immunol. 2002;169:6154-61 pubmed..These results suggest that vascular endothelium can act as an APC for CD8(+) direct allorecognition and may, therefore, play an important role in regulating immune processes of allograft rejection. ..
- Yu X, Fournier S, Allison J, Sharpe A, Hodes R. The role of B7 costimulation in CD4/CD8 T cell homeostasis. J Immunol. 2000;164:3543-53 pubmed..These reciprocal effects of genetically engineered increase or decrease in B7 expression indicate that B7 costimulation plays a physiological role in the regulation of CD4+ and CD8+ T cell homeostasis. ..
- Good Jacobson K, Song E, Anderson S, Sharpe A, Shlomchik M. CD80 expression on B cells regulates murine T follicular helper development, germinal center B cell survival, and plasma cell generation. J Immunol. 2012;188:4217-25 pubmed publisher..This, in turn, results in impaired ability to produce long-lived PCs. These data provide new insights into the development of GCs and Ab-forming cells and the functions of CD80 in humoral immunity. ..
- Freeman G, Borriello F, Hodes R, Reiser H, Hathcock K, Laszlo G, et al. Uncovering of functional alternative CTLA-4 counter-receptor in B7-deficient mice. Science. 1993;262:907-9 pubmed..These receptors are functionally important because the residual allogenic mixed lymphocyte responses were blocked by CTLA4Ig. Characterization of these CTLA-4 ligands should lead to strategies for manipulating the immune response. ..
- Linsley P, Clark E, Ledbetter J. T-cell antigen CD28 mediates adhesion with B cells by interacting with activation antigen B7/BB-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:5031-5 pubmed
- Shi M, Hao S, Chan T, Xiang J. CD4(+) T cells stimulate memory CD8(+) T cell expansion via acquired pMHC I complexes and costimulatory molecules, and IL-2 secretion. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;80:1354-63 pubmed..These results highlight a previously undescribed role of active CD4(+) T cells in triggering expansion of memory CD8(+) T cells. ..
- O Neill S, Cao Y, Hamel K, Doodes P, Hutas G, Finnegan A. Expression of CD80/86 on B cells is essential for autoreactive T cell activation and the development of arthritis. J Immunol. 2007;179:5109-16 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a CD80/86:CD28 costimulatory interaction between B cells and T cells is required for autoreactive T cell activation and the induction of arthritis but not for B cell autoantibody production...
- Mandelbrot D, Oosterwegel M, Shimizu K, Yamada A, Freeman G, Mitchell R, et al. B7-dependent T-cell costimulation in mice lacking CD28 and CTLA4. J Clin Invest. 2001;107:881-7 pubmed..Finally, administration of CTLA4-Ig to CD28/CTLA4(-/-) cardiac allograft recipients significantly prolongs graft survival. These data support the existence of an additional receptor for B7 molecules that is neither CD28 nor CTLA4. ..
- Friedline R, Brown D, Nguyen H, Kornfeld H, Lee J, Zhang Y, et al. CD4+ regulatory T cells require CTLA-4 for the maintenance of systemic tolerance. J Exp Med. 2009;206:421-34 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that CTLA-4 is absolutely required for FOXP3(+) regulatory T cell function in vivo. ..
- Gao J, Zhang H, Bai X, Wen J, Zheng X, Liu J, et al. Perinatal blockade of b7-1 and b7-2 inhibits clonal deletion of highly pathogenic autoreactive T cells. J Exp Med. 2002;195:959-71 pubmed..The strong pathogenicity of the self-reactive T cells supports a central hypothesis in immunology, which is that clonal deletion plays an important role in preventing autoimmune diseases. ..
- Salomon B, Lenschow D, Rhee L, Ashourian N, Singh B, Sharpe A, et al. B7/CD28 costimulation is essential for the homeostasis of the CD4+CD25+ immunoregulatory T cells that control autoimmune diabetes. Immunity. 2000;12:431-40 pubmed..The results suggest that the CD28/ B7 costimulatory pathway is essential for the development and homeostasis of regulatory T cells that control spontaneous autoimmune diseases. ..
- Taylor P, Lees C, Fournier S, Allison J, Sharpe A, Blazar B. B7 expression on T cells down-regulates immune responses through CTLA-4 ligation via T-T interactions [corrections]. J Immunol. 2004;172:34-9 pubmed..The up-regulation of B7 on T cells may be an important component of normal immune homeostasis. ..
- Freeman G, Long A, Iwai Y, Bourque K, Chernova T, Nishimura H, et al. Engagement of the PD-1 immunoinhibitory receptor by a novel B7 family member leads to negative regulation of lymphocyte activation. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1027-34 pubmed..PD-L1 expression on nonlymphoid tissues and its potential interaction with PD-1 may subsequently determine the extent of immune responses at sites of inflammation. ..
- Girvin A, Dal Canto M, Rhee L, Salomon B, Sharpe A, Bluestone J, et al. A critical role for B7/CD28 costimulation in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis: a comparative study using costimulatory molecule-deficient mice and monoclonal antibody blockade. J Immunol. 2000;164:136-43 pubmed..Collectively, these results support a critical role for CD28 costimulation in EAE induction. ..
- Selvakumar A, White P, Dupont B. Genomic organization of the mouse B-lymphocyte activation antigen B7. Immunogenetics. 1993;38:292-5 pubmed
- Linsley P, Brady W, Grosmaire L, Aruffo A, Damle N, Ledbetter J. Binding of the B cell activation antigen B7 to CD28 costimulates T cell proliferation and interleukin 2 mRNA accumulation. J Exp Med. 1991;173:721-30 pubmed..Cellular interactions mediated by B7 and CD28 may represent an important component of the functional interactions between T and B lymphoid cells. ..
- Kinoshita K, Tesch G, Schwarting A, Maron R, Sharpe A, Kelley V. Costimulation by B7-1 and B7-2 is required for autoimmune disease in MRL-Faslpr mice. J Immunol. 2000;164:6046-56 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that B7-1 and B7-2 costimulatory pathways are critical to the pathogenesis of autoimmune lupus. ..
- Lee J, Suh J, Choi J. B-1 cell-derived monoclonal antibodies and costimulatory molecules. J Surg Res. 2009;154:293-8 pubmed publisher..Splenic and PerC B cells revealed a distinctive pattern in their mode of expressing costimulatory molecules when challenged by exogenous or endogenous antigens. ..
- Si S, Hu P, Huang Y, Ye J, Huang Y, Li Z, et al. Tumor cells with B7.1 and transmembrane anchored staphylococcal enterotoxin A generate effective antitumor immunity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:208-14 pubmed..1 (B16-B7.1) and B16/SEAtm (B16-SEAtm), and supported the feasibility and effectiveness of the dual-modified tumor cell vaccine with superantigen and co-stimulatory molecule. ..
- Huang L, Wohlleber D, Reisinger F, Jenne C, Cheng R, Abdullah Z, et al. Intrahepatic myeloid-cell aggregates enable local proliferation of CD8(+) T cells and successful immunotherapy against chronic viral liver infection. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:574-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, iMATEs are dynamic structures that overcome regulatory cues that limit the population expansion of CTLs during chronic infection and can be used in new therapeutic vaccination strategies. ..
- Fargeas C, Truneh A, Reddy M, Hurle M, Sweet R, Sekaly R. Identification of residues in the V domain of CD80 (B7-1) implicated in functional interactions with CD28 and CTLA4. J Exp Med. 1995;182:667-75 pubmed..One of these residues, Y87, is conserved in all CD80 and CD86 cloned from various species. These results being to unravel the structural requirements for binding to CD28 and CTLA4. ..
- Tan Y, Manz B, Freedman T, Zhang C, Shokat K, Weiss A. Inhibition of the kinase Csk in thymocytes reveals a requirement for actin remodeling in the initiation of full TCR signaling. Nat Immunol. 2014;15:186-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, Csk has a critical role in preventing TCR signaling. However, our studies also revealed a requirement for actin remodeling, initiated by costimulation, for full TCR signaling. ..
- Razi Wolf Z, Freeman G, Galvin F, Benacerraf B, Nadler L, Reiser H. Expression and function of the murine B7 antigen, the major costimulatory molecule expressed by peritoneal exudate cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:4210-4 pubmed..Our results indicate that mB7 is the major costimulatory molecule on some but not all cell lines and that there may be additional molecules besides mB7 that can costimulate the activation of murine CD4+ T cells. ..
- Arens R, Loewendorf A, Redeker A, Sierro S, Boon L, Klenerman P, et al. Differential B7-CD28 costimulatory requirements for stable and inflationary mouse cytomegalovirus-specific memory CD8 T cell populations. J Immunol. 2011;186:3874-81 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that B7-CD28 costimulation differentially regulates the magnitude and kinetics of the multifaceted CD8 T cell response that develops during CMV infection. ..
- Bhatt K, Uzelac A, Mathur S, McBride A, Potian J, Salgame P. B7 costimulation is critical for host control of chronic Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Immunol. 2009;182:3793-800 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the use of costimulation-based immunomodulators may have significant repercussions on the induction of host protective immunity against tuberculosis. ..
- Oosterwegel M, Mandelbrot D, Boyd S, Lorsbach R, Jarrett D, Abbas A, et al. The role of CTLA-4 in regulating Th2 differentiation. J Immunol. 1999;163:2634-9 pubmed..Thus, the B7-CD28/CTLA-4 pathway plays a critical role in regulating Th2 differentiation in two ways: CD28 promotes Th2 differentiation while CTLA-4 limits Th2 differentiation. ..
- Lumsden J, Williams J, Hodes R. Differential requirements for expression of CD80/86 and CD40 on B cells for T-dependent antibody responses in vivo. J Immunol. 2003;170:781-7 pubmed..Thus, while disrupting either the CD80/86-CD28 or the CD40-CD40 ligand costimulatory pathway abrogates T-dependent B cell immune responses, the two pathways are nonredundant and mediated by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Wong S, Tan A, Lam K. Functional hierarchy and relative contribution of the CD28/B7 and ICOS/B7-H2 costimulatory pathways to T cell-mediated delayed-type hypersensitivity. Cell Immunol. 2009;256:64-71 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal a functional hierarchy of the CD28/B7 and ICOS/B7-H2 pathways and delineated their relative contributions to the elicitation of a DTH response. ..
- Zhong J, Rao X, Braunstein Z, Taylor A, Narula V, Hazey J, et al. T-cell costimulation protects obesity-induced adipose inflammation and insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2014;63:1289-302 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest an essential role for B7 in maintaining Tregs and adipose homeostasis and may have important implications for therapies that target costimulation in type 2 diabetes. ..
- Shin T, Kennedy G, Gorski K, Tsuchiya H, Koseki H, Azuma M, et al. Cooperative B7-1/2 (CD80/CD86) and B7-DC costimulation of CD4+ T cells independent of the PD-1 receptor. J Exp Med. 2003;198:31-8 pubmed..Finally, costimulation with B7-DC alone or in conjunction with B7-1 is PD-1 independent, indicating that B7-DC costimulates T cells via a second receptor. ..
- Prilliman K, Lemmens E, Palioungas G, Wolfe T, Allison J, Sharpe A, et al. Cutting edge: a crucial role for B7-CD28 in transmitting T help from APC to CTL. J Immunol. 2002;169:4094-7 pubmed..These results support a model in which activation-induced up-regulation of B7 molecules on APC leads to increased CD28 signaling and a commitment to cross-priming of CD4-dependent CTL. ..
- Zuccarino Catania G, Sadanand S, Weisel F, Tomayko M, Meng H, Kleinstein S, et al. CD80 and PD-L2 define functionally distinct memory B cell subsets that are independent of antibody isotype. Nat Immunol. 2014;15:631-7 pubmed publisher..The gene-expression patterns of the subsets supported both the identity and function of these distinct MBC types. Hence, the differentiation and regeneration of MBCs are compartmentalized. ..
- Shi Z, Rifa i M, Lee Y, Shiku H, Isobe K, Suzuki H. Importance of CD80/CD86-CD28 interactions in the recognition of target cells by CD8+CD122+ regulatory T cells. Immunology. 2008;124:121-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CD8+CD122(+) regulatory T cells recognize target T cells via the interaction of CD80/CD86-CD28 molecules to become active regulatory cells that produce suppressive factors such as IL-10. ..
- Hagen K, Moses C, Drasler E, Podetz Pedersen K, Jameson S, Khoruts A. A role for CD28 in lymphopenia-induced proliferation of CD4 T cells. J Immunol. 2004;173:3909-15 pubmed..Interestingly, CTLA-4-Ig treatment resulted in modest inhibition of LIP by CD28-deficient responders, suggesting that some of its effects may be independent of mere B7 blockade. ..
- Han S, Hathcock K, Zheng B, Kepler T, Hodes R, Kelsoe G. Cellular interaction in germinal centers. Roles of CD40 ligand and B7-2 in established germinal centers. J Immunol. 1995;155:556-67 pubmed..Once B cells have entered the differentiation pathway to Ab production, neither CD40L nor B7-2 is necessary for their continued differentiation and persistence. ..
- RUFFNER M, Kim S, Bianco N, Francisco L, Sharpe A, Robbins P. B7-1/2, but not PD-L1/2 molecules, are required on IL-10-treated tolerogenic DC and DC-derived exosomes for in vivo function. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:3084-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that B7-1 and B7-2, but not PD-L1 and PD-L2, on IL-10-treated DC and DC-derived exosomes play a critical role in immunosuppressive functions of both DC and exosomes. ..
- Donepudi M, Jovasevic V, Raychaudhuri P, Mokyr M. Melphalan-induced up-regulation of B7-1 surface expression on normal splenic B cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2003;52:162-70 pubmed
- Geng L, Jiang G, Xie H, Fang Y, Dong S, Chen Y, et al. Mycophenolic acid upregulates B7-DC expression on dendritic cells, which is associated with impaired allostimulatory capacity of dendritic cells. Transplant Proc. 2006;38:1622-4 pubmed..Thus, we suggest that MPA upregulates B7-DC expression during DC maturation induced by LPS in vitro, an effect that may be responsible for MPA-mediated inhibitory effects on the allostimulatory capacity of DC. ..
- Wang L, Mei Z, Zhou J, Yao Y, Li Y, Xu Y, et al. Low dose decitabine treatment induces CD80 expression in cancer cells and stimulates tumor specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62924 pubmed publisher..The results have important implications in designing DAC-based cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Mark D, Donovan C, De Sanctis G, He H, Cernadas M, Kobzik L, et al. B7-1 (CD80) and B7-2 (CD86) have complementary roles in mediating allergic pulmonary inflammation and airway hyperresponsiveness. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2000;22:265-71 pubmed..Our observations suggest that whereas B7-2 is quantitatively more significant in the induction of this response, B7-1 and B7-2 may have complementary roles in mediating the development of allergic pulmonary inflammation. ..
- Roman E, Shino H, Qin F, Liu Y. Cutting edge: Hematopoietic-derived APCs select regulatory T cells in thymus. J Immunol. 2010;185:3819-23 pubmed publisher..In addition, Treg selection requires the TCR signal and CD28 costimulation presented in cis on the same APC type in vivo. This study demonstrates a new role, to our knowledge, for HCs in the development of Tregs in thymus. ..
- Yang J, Riella L, Chock S, Liu T, Zhao X, Yuan X, et al. The novel costimulatory programmed death ligand 1/B7.1 pathway is functional in inhibiting alloimmune responses in vivo. J Immunol. 2011;187:1113-9 pubmed publisher..1 interaction with T cell PDL1 did not. These data indicate that PDL1 interaction with B7.1 plays an important role in the inhibition of alloimmune responses in vivo and suggests a dominant direction for PDL1 and B7.1 interaction. ..
- Mintern J, Klemm E, Wagner M, Paquet M, Napier M, Kim Y, et al. Viral interference with B7-1 costimulation: a new role for murine cytomegalovirus fc receptor-1. J Immunol. 2006;177:8422-31 pubmed..These results show a novel function for m138 in MCMV infection and identify the first viral protein to target B7-1...
- Beyranvand Nejad E, van der Sluis T, van Duikeren S, Yagita H, Janssen G, van Veelen P, et al. Tumor Eradication by Cisplatin Is Sustained by CD80/86-Mediated Costimulation of CD8+ T Cells. Cancer Res. 2016;76:6017-6029 pubmed..Cancer Res; 76(20); 6017-29. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Larsen C, Ritchie S, Hendrix R, Linsley P, Hathcock K, Hodes R, et al. Regulation of immunostimulatory function and costimulatory molecule (B7-1 and B7-2) expression on murine dendritic cells. J Immunol. 1994;152:5208-19 pubmed
- Duan B, Niu H, Xu Z, Sharpe A, Croker B, Sobel E, et al. Intrafollicular location of marginal zone/CD1d(hi) B cells is associated with autoimmune pathology in a mouse model of lupus. Lab Invest. 2008;88:1008-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that follicular exclusion of IgM+ CD1d(hi)/MZ B cells is an important B-cell tolerance mechanism, and that B7-2 signaling is involved in breaching this tolerance checkpoint. ..
- Matlack R, Yeh K, Rosini L, Gonzalez D, Taylor J, Silberman D, et al. Peritoneal macrophages suppress T-cell activation by amino acid catabolism. Immunology. 2006;117:386-95 pubmed..These results illustrate that macrophages, which are classically defined by their innate effector function as antigen-presenting cells, have the potential to temper adaptive immunity. ..
- Kong Y, Kishihara K, Sumichika H, Nakamura T, Kaneko M, Nomoto K. Differential requirements of CD45 for lymphocyte development and function. Eur J Immunol. 1995;25:3431-6 pubmed..However, CD4+ T helper function was severely diminished in CD45 exon 6-deficient mice, suggesting that the requirements of CD45 molecules in antigen-specific response and development are different between T and B lymphocytes. ..
- Tone M, Nolan K, Walsh L, Tone Y, Thompson S, Waldmann H. Structure and chromosomal location of mouse and human CD52 genes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1446:334-40 pubmed..Promoter activities and transcription start sites were also analysed. These results suggest that human CD52 and mouse B7-Ag gene expressions are controlled by TATA-less promoters. ..
- Kurtz J, Raval F, Vallot C, Der J, Sykes M. CTLA-4 on alloreactive CD4 T cells interacts with recipient CD80/86 to promote tolerance. Blood. 2009;113:3475-84 pubmed publisher..This tolerance is independent of regulatory T cells and culminates in the deletion of directly alloreactive CD4 T cells. ..
- Srinivasan M, Lu D, Eri R, Brand D, Haque A, Blum J. CD80 binding polyproline helical peptide inhibits T cell activation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:10149-55 pubmed..Structural and functional studies suggest potential therapeutic value for select CD80 competitive antagonist peptides. ..
- Fife B, Griffin M, Abbas A, Locksley R, Bluestone J. Inhibition of T cell activation and autoimmune diabetes using a B cell surface-linked CTLA-4 agonist. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2252-61 pubmed
- Gopisetty A, Bhattacharya P, Haddad C, Bruno J, Vasu C, Miele L, et al. OX40L/Jagged1 cosignaling by GM-CSF-induced bone marrow-derived dendritic cells is required for the expansion of functional regulatory T cells. J Immunol. 2013;190:5516-25 pubmed publisher..These results showed a critical role for OX40L- and Jagged1-induced cosignaling in GM-BMDC-induced Treg expansion. ..
- Thauland T, Koguchi Y, Dustin M, Parker D. CD28-CD80 interactions control regulatory T cell motility and immunological synapse formation. J Immunol. 2014;193:5894-903 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results support the hypothesis that Tregs are tuned to alter their motility depending on costimulatory signals. ..
- Yang S, Sim G. New forms of dog CD80 and CD86 transcripts that encode secreted B7 molecules. Immunogenetics. 1999;50:349-53 pubmed
- Xu J, Zhao K, Huang B, Xiong P, Fang M, Shen G, et al. [Clone and expression of murine BTLA extracellular domain gene and its effect on the expression of B7 on dendritic cells]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2006;22:413-6 pubmed..4 in a dose dependent manner. BTLA had a regulatory effect on the expression of B7 on DC. It is significant to study the effect of BTLA on the biological behaviour of DC and its molecular mechanism. ..
- Bak S, Barnkob M, Bai A, Higham E, Wittrup K, Chen J. Differential requirement for CD70 and CD80/CD86 in dendritic cell-mediated activation of tumor-tolerized CD8 T cells. J Immunol. 2012;189:1708-16 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal dynamic requirements for costimulatory signals to overcome tumor-induced tolerance and have significant implications for developing more effective cancer immunotherapies. ..
- Sedy J, Gavrieli M, Potter K, Hurchla M, Lindsley R, Hildner K, et al. B and T lymphocyte attenuator regulates T cell activation through interaction with herpesvirus entry mediator. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:90-8 pubmed..The conservation of the BTLA-HVEM interaction between mouse and human suggests that this system is an important pathway regulating lymphocyte activation and/or homeostasis in the immune response. ..
- Perez N, Karumuthil Melethil S, Li R, Prabhakar B, Holterman M, Vasu C. Preferential costimulation by CD80 results in IL-10-dependent TGF-beta1(+) -adaptive regulatory T cell generation. J Immunol. 2008;180:6566-76 pubmed
- Litzinger M, Su Y, Lei T, Soukhareva N, Scott D. Mechanisms of gene therapy for tolerance: B7 signaling is required for peptide-IgG gene-transferred tolerance induction. J Immunol. 2005;175:780-7 pubmed..We propose that tolerance may be induced in this model by B7-driven negative regulatory signaling, but tolerance is maintained by a lack of signal 2, because expression of B7 is eventually lost in vivo. ..
- Borowski A, Boesteanu A, Mueller Y, Carafides C, Topham D, Altman J, et al. Memory CD8+ T cells require CD28 costimulation. J Immunol. 2007;179:6494-503 pubmed..These findings also raise questions about the efficacy of CD8(+) T cell-based vaccines against such pathogens and tumors. ..
- Haile S, Dalal S, Clements V, Tamada K, Ostrand Rosenberg S. Soluble CD80 restores T cell activation and overcomes tumor cell programmed death ligand 1-mediated immune suppression. J Immunol. 2013;191:2829-36 pubmed publisher..These studies identify CD80-Fc as an alternative and potentially more efficacious therapeutic agent for overcoming PDL1-induced immune suppression and facilitating tumor-specific immunity. ..
- Gajewski T, Renauld J, Van Pel A, Boon T. Costimulation with B7-1, IL-6, and IL-12 is sufficient for primary generation of murine antitumor cytolytic T lymphocytes in vitro. J Immunol. 1995;154:5637-48 pubmed
- Mukherjee S, Maiti P, Nandi D. Role of CD80, CD86, and CTLA4 on mouse CD4(+) T lymphocytes in enhancing cell-cycle progression and survival after activation with PMA and ionomycin. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;72:921-31 pubmed..This study reveals a functional role for CD80, CD86, and CTLA4 on CD4(+) T lymphocytes and sheds light on the mechanisms by which these molecules enhance activation and survival with PMA and ionomycin. ..
- Zhang H, Haasch D, Idler K, Okasinski G. Isolation and promoter mapping of the gene encoding murine co-stimulatory factor B7-1. Gene. 1996;183:1-6 pubmed..A downstream region is positioned at +269 to +25. We have also identified an alternatively spliced form of the murine B7-1 gene in L (tk-) cells. ..
- Zhang X, Liu Y, Zhang G, Shi J, Zhang X, Zheng X, et al. Synergic silencing of costimulatory molecules prevents cardiac allograft rejection. J Transl Med. 2014;12:142 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that the simultaneous silencing of CD40 and CD80 genes has synergistic effects in preventing allograft rejection, and may therefore have therapeutic potential in clinical transplantation. ..
- Balkhi M, Latchumanan V, Singh B, Sharma P, Natarajan K. Cross-regulation of CD86 by CD80 differentially regulates T helper responses from Mycobacterium tuberculosis secretory antigen-activated dendritic cell subsets. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;75:874-83 pubmed..Cognate antigen-presenting cell (APC):T cell interactions then impart a level of polarization on APCs mediated via cross-regulation of costimulatory molecules, which govern the nature of subsequent Th responses. ..
- Fujii S, Liu K, Smith C, Bonito A, Steinman R. The linkage of innate to adaptive immunity via maturing dendritic cells in vivo requires CD40 ligation in addition to antigen presentation and CD80/86 costimulation. J Exp Med. 2004;199:1607-18 pubmed
- Ertelt J, Buyukbasaran E, Jiang T, Rowe J, Xin L, Way S. B7-1/B7-2 blockade overrides the activation of protective CD8 T cells stimulated in the absence of Foxp3+ regulatory T cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2013;94:367-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, the activation of protective CD8 T cells requires positive B7-1/B7-2 costimulation even when suppression by Tregs and in particular, Treg-intrinsic CTLA-4 is circumvented. ..
- Muraille E, De Smedt T, Thielemans K, Urbain J, Moser M, Leo O. Activation of murine T cells by bacterial superantigens requires B7-mediated costimulation. Cell Immunol. 1995;162:315-20 pubmed..These observations suggest that, as demonstrated for conventional antigen, T cell activation by SAgs requires the coordinated participation of TcR- and CD28-derived signals. ..
- Williams J, Zhang J, Jeon H, Nitta T, Ohigashi I, Klug D, et al. Thymic medullary epithelium and thymocyte self-tolerance require cooperation between CD28-CD80/86 and CD40-CD40L costimulatory pathways. J Immunol. 2014;192:630-40 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that cooperativity between CD28-CD80/86 and CD40-CD40L pathways is required for normal medullary epithelium and for maintenance of self-tolerance in thymocyte development. ..