Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Avil
Alias: Advil, DOC6, advillin, actin-binding protein DOC6, p92
- Hasegawa H, Abbott S, Han B, Qi Y, Wang F. Analyzing somatosensory axon projections with the sensory neuron-specific Advillin gene. J Neurosci. 2007;27:14404-14 pubmed..We found that the gene encoding Advillin, an actin binding protein that belongs to the gelsolin superfamily, is expressed almost exclusively in peripheral ..
- Minett M, Falk S, Santana Varela S, Bogdanov Y, Nassar M, Heegaard A, et al. Pain without nociceptors? Nav1.7-independent pain mechanisms. Cell Rep. 2014;6:301-12 pubmed publisher..8-positive nociceptors. Thus, similar pain phenotypes arise through distinct cellular and molecular mechanisms. Therefore, rational analgesic drug therapy requires patient stratification in terms of mechanisms and not just phenotype. ..
- Shibata M, Ishii J, Koizumi H, Shibata N, Dohmae N, Takio K, et al. Type F scavenger receptor SREC-I interacts with advillin, a member of the gelsolin/villin family, and induces neurite-like outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:40084-90 pubmed..The SREC-I-mediated morphological change required the cytoplasmic domain of the protein, and we identified advillin, a member of the gelsolin/villin family of actin regulatory proteins, as a protein binding to this domain...
- Minett M, Nassar M, Clark A, Passmore G, Dickenson A, Wang F, et al. Distinct Nav1.7-dependent pain sensations require different sets of sensory and sympathetic neurons. Nat Commun. 2012;3:791 pubmed publisher..Ablating Nav1.7 gene (SCN9A) expression in all sensory neurons using Advillin-Cre abolishes mechanical pain, inflammatory pain and reflex withdrawal responses to heat...
- Zhou X, Wang L, Hasegawa H, Amin P, Han B, Kaneko S, et al. Deletion of PIK3C3/Vps34 in sensory neurons causes rapid neurodegeneration by disrupting the endosomal but not the autophagic pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9424-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies represent in vivo characterization of PIK3C3 functions in mammals and provide insights into the complexity of neuronal endo-lysosomal and autophagic pathways. ..
- Eijkelkamp N, Linley J, Torres J, Bee L, Dickenson A, Gringhuis M, et al. A role for Piezo2 in EPAC1-dependent mechanical allodynia. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1682 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the Epac1-Piezo2 axis has a role in the development of mechanical allodynia during neuropathic pain. ..
- Eng S, Dykes I, Lanier J, Fedtsova N, Turner E. POU-domain factor Brn3a regulates both distinct and common programs of gene expression in the spinal and trigeminal sensory ganglia. Neural Dev. 2007;2:3 pubmed
- Peirs C, Williams S, Zhao X, Walsh C, Gedeon J, Cagle N, et al. Dorsal Horn Circuits for Persistent Mechanical Pain. Neuron. 2015;87:797-812 pubmed publisher..Lastly, using inflammatory and neuropathic pain models, we show that multiple microcircuits in the dorsal horn encode this form of pain. ..
- Leslie J, Imai F, Fukuhara K, Takegahara N, Rizvi T, Friedel R, et al. Ectopic myelinating oligodendrocytes in the dorsal spinal cord as a consequence of altered semaphorin 6D signaling inhibit synapse formation. Development. 2011;138:4085-95 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the relationship between oligodendrocytes and synapse formation in vivo, which might be an important element in controlling the development of neural wiring in the central nervous system. ..
- Zappia K, O Hara C, Moehring F, Kwan K, Stucky C. Sensory Neuron-Specific Deletion of TRPA1 Results in Mechanical Cutaneous Sensory Deficits. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..To accomplish this, we used Advillin-Cre mice, in which the promoter for Advillin is used to drive expression of Cre recombinase specifically ..
- Moehring F, Cowie A, Menzel A, Weyer A, Grzybowski M, Arzua T, et al. Keratinocytes mediate innocuous and noxious touch via ATP-P2X4 signaling. elife. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..These experiments lay a vital foundation for subsequent studies into the dysfunctional signaling that occurs in cutaneous pain and itch disorders, and ultimately, the development of novel topical therapeutics for these conditions. ..
- Zhang Y, Chen S, Laumet G, Chen H, Pan H. Nerve Injury Diminishes Opioid Analgesia through Lysine Methyltransferase-mediated Transcriptional Repression of Î¼-Opioid Receptors in Primary Sensory Neurons. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:8475-85 pubmed publisher..G9a inhibitors may be used to enhance the opioid analgesic effect in the treatment of chronic neuropathic pain. ..
- Marks P, Arai M, Bandura J, Kwiatkowski D. Advillin (p92): a new member of the gelsolin/villin family of actin regulatory proteins. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 15):2129-36 pubmed..The predicted amino acid sequence of the 92 kDa murine protein p92 (advillin) is 75% homologous to villin and 65% homologous to gelsolin and adseverin...
- Isensee J, Krahé L, Moeller K, Pereira V, Sexton J, Sun X, et al. Synergistic regulation of serotonin and opioid signaling contributes to pain insensitivity in Nav1.7 knockout mice. Sci Signal. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..7 controls the efficacy and balance of GPCR-mediated pro- and antinociceptive intracellular signaling, such that without Nav1.7, the balance is shifted toward antinociception, resulting in lifelong endogenous analgesia. ..
- Xiao Y, Thoresen D, Williams J, Wang C, Perna J, Petrova R, et al. Neural Hedgehog signaling maintains stem cell renewal in the sensory touch dome epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:7195-200 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that nerve-derived Shh is a critical regulator of lineage-specific stem cells that maintain specialized sensory compartments in the epidermis. ..
- Pagadala P, Park C, Bang S, Xu Z, Xie R, Liu T, et al. Loss of NR1 subunit of NMDARs in primary sensory neurons leads to hyperexcitability and pain hypersensitivity: involvement of Ca(2+)-activated small conductance potassium channels. J Neurosci. 2013;33:13425-30 pubmed publisher..To address this problem, we used Advillin-Cre driver to delete the NR1 subunit of NMDARs selectively in DRG neurons...
- McCoy E, Taylor Blake B, Street S, Pribisko A, Zheng J, Zylka M. Peptidergic CGRP? primary sensory neurons encode heat and itch and tonically suppress sensitivity to cold. Neuron. 2013;78:138-51 pubmed publisher..Disruption of this crosstalk unmasks cold hypersensitivity, with mechanistic implications for neuropathic pain and temperature perception. ..
- Cho H, Yang Y, Lee J, Lee B, Kim T, Jang Y, et al. The calcium-activated chloride channel anoctamin 1 acts as a heat sensor in nociceptive neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:1015-21 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ANO1 is a heat sensor that detects nociceptive thermal stimuli in sensory neurons and possibly mediates nociception. ..
- Arcourt A, Gorham L, Dhandapani R, Prato V, Taberner F, Wende H, et al. Touch Receptor-Derived Sensory Information Alleviates Acute Pain Signaling and Fine-Tunes Nociceptive Reflex Coordination. Neuron. 2017;93:179-193 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we established a causal link between precisely defined neural activity in functionally identified sensory neuron subpopulations and nocifensive behavior and pain. ..
- Cho Y, Shin J, Ewan E, Oh Y, Pita Thomas W, Cavalli V. Activating Injury-Responsive Genes with Hypoxia Enhances Axon Regeneration through Neuronal HIF-1Î±. Neuron. 2015;88:720-34 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that HIF-1Î± represents a critical transcriptional regulator in regenerating neurons and suggests hypoxia as a tool to stimulate axon regeneration. ..
- Minett M, Eijkelkamp N, Wood J. Significant determinants of mouse pain behaviour. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e104458 pubmed publisher..Failure to conduct behavioural tests at different anatomical locations, stimulus intensities, and at different points in the circadian cycle may lead to a pain behavioural phenotype being misinterpreted, or missed altogether. ..
- Perry R, Doron Mandel E, Iavnilovitch E, Rishal I, Dagan S, Tsoory M, et al. Subcellular knockout of importin ?1 perturbs axonal retrograde signaling. Neuron. 2012;75:294-305 pubmed publisher..Thus, localized translation of Importin ?1 mRNA enables separation of cytoplasmic and nuclear transport functions of importins and is required for efficient retrograde signaling in injured axons. ..
- Zhang C, Susuki K, Zollinger D, Dupree J, Rasband M. Membrane domain organization of myelinated axons requires ?II spectrin. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:437-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, the paranodal spectrin-based submembranous cytoskeleton comprises the paranodal barriers required for myelinated axon domain organization. ..
- Minett M, Pereira V, Sikandar S, Matsuyama A, Lolignier S, Kanellopoulos A, et al. Endogenous opioids contribute to insensitivity to pain in humans and mice lacking sodium channel Nav1.7. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8967 pubmed publisher..7-null mutant mice, as well as in a human Nav1.7-null mutant. These data suggest that Nav1.7 channel blockers alone may not replicate the analgesic phenotype of null mutant humans and mice, but may be potentiated with exogenous opioids. ..
- Amor V, Zhang C, Vainshtein A, Zhang A, Zollinger D, Eshed Eisenbach Y, et al. The paranodal cytoskeleton clusters Na+ channels at nodes of Ranvier. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the paranodal junction-dependent mechanism of Na+channel clustering is mediated by the spectrin-based paranodal axonal cytoskeleton. ..
- Buch T, Heppner F, Tertilt C, Heinen T, Kremer M, Wunderlich F, et al. A Cre-inducible diphtheria toxin receptor mediates cell lineage ablation after toxin administration. Nat Methods. 2005;2:419-26 pubmed..Notably, we show that the developing DT-specific antibody response is weak and not neutralizing, and thus does not impede the efficacy of DT. Our results validate the use of iDTR mice as a tool for cell ablation in vivo. ..
- Liu Y, Rutlin M, Huang S, Barrick C, Wang F, Jones K, et al. Sexually dimorphic BDNF signaling directs sensory innervation of the mammary gland. Science. 2012;338:1357-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, sex hormone regulation of a neurotrophic factor signal directs sexually dimorphic axonal growth and maintenance, resulting in generation of a sex-specific neural circuit. ..
- Zampieri N, Jessell T, Murray A. Mapping sensory circuits by anterograde transsynaptic transfer of recombinant rabies virus. Neuron. 2014;81:766-78 pubmed publisher..Anterograde transsynaptic transfer is a feature shared by other classes of primary sensory neurons, permitting the identification and potentially the manipulation of neural circuits processing sensory feedback within the mammalian CNS. ..
- Huang C, Zhang C, Zollinger D, Leterrier C, Rasband M. An ?II Spectrin-Based Cytoskeleton Protects Large-Diameter Myelinated Axons from Degeneration. J Neurosci. 2017;37:11323-11334 pubmed publisher..i>Avil-cre;Sptan1f/f mice have reduced numbers of nodes, disrupted paranodal junctions, and mislocalized ..
- Kwiatkowski D. Functions of gelsolin: motility, signaling, apoptosis, cancer. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1999;11:103-8 pubmed..Gelsolin is an obligate downstream effector of Rac for motility in dermal fibroblasts, regulates phosphoinositide signaling pathways and ion channel function in vivo, and acts as both a regulator and effector of apoptosis. ..
- Stantcheva K, Iovino L, Dhandapani R, Martínez C, Castaldi L, Nocchi L, et al. A subpopulation of itch-sensing neurons marked byÂ Ret and somatostatin expression. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:585-600 pubmed publisher..generating mice in which the diphtheria toxin receptor is conditionally expressed from the sensory neuron-specific Avil locus. Sst-Cre::Avil(iDTR) mice display normal nociceptive responses to thermal and mechanical stimuli...
- Orefice L, Zimmerman A, Chirila A, Sleboda S, Head J, Ginty D. Peripheral Mechanosensory Neuron Dysfunction Underlies Tactile and Behavioral Deficits in Mouse Models of ASDs. Cell. 2016;166:299-313 pubmed publisher..Thus, mechanosensory processing defects contribute to anxiety-like behavior and social interaction deficits in ASD mouse models. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Wang X, Kuroda M, Sok J, Batchvarova N, Kimmel R, Chung P, et al. Identification of novel stress-induced genes downstream of chop. EMBO J. 1998;17:3619-30 pubmed..is a mammalian ortholog of a Drosophila gene, Tenm/Odz, implicated in patterning of the early fly embryo, whereas DOC6 encodes a newly recognized homolog of the actin-binding proteins villin and gelsolin...
- Guy J, Gan J, Selfridge J, Cobb S, Bird A. Reversal of neurological defects in a mouse model of Rett syndrome. Science. 2007;315:1143-7 pubmed
- Luo W, Enomoto H, Rice F, Milbrandt J, Ginty D. Molecular identification of rapidly adapting mechanoreceptors and their developmental dependence on ret signaling. Neuron. 2009;64:841-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, the early Ret(+) neurons are RA mechanoreceptors and Ret signaling is required for the assembly of neural circuits underlying touch perception. ..
- Abe N, Borson S, Gambello M, Wang F, Cavalli V. Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activation increases axonal growth capacity of injured peripheral nerves. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:28034-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, whereas manipulation of mTOR activity could provide new strategies to stimulate nerve regeneration in the PNS, fine control of mTOR activity is required for proper target innervation. ..
- Weng H, Patel K, Jeske N, Bierbower S, Zou W, Tiwari V, et al. Tmem100 Is a Regulator of TRPA1-TRPV1 Complex and Contributes to Persistent Pain. Neuron. 2015;85:833-46 pubmed publisher..Our study unveils a context-dependent modulation of the TRPA1-V1 complex, and Tmem100-3Q CPP is a promising pain therapy. ..
- Sonner M, Walters M, Ladle D. Analysis of Proprioceptive Sensory Innervation of the Mouse Soleus: A Whole-Mount Muscle Approach. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170751 pubmed publisher..The mean diameter of primary and secondary afferent axons differed significantly, but the distributions overlap more than previously observed in cat and rat studies. ..
- Shin J, Geisler S, DiAntonio A. Dynamic regulation of SCG10 in regenerating axons after injury. Exp Neurol. 2014;252:1-11 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate the utility of SCG10 as an efficient and selective marker of sensory axon regeneration. ..
- O Sullivan M, Punal V, Kerstein P, Brzezinski J, Glaser T, Wright K, et al. Astrocytes follow ganglion cell axons to establish an angiogenic template during retinal development. Glia. 2017;65:1697-1716 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a model whereby RGC axons guide formation of an astrocytic network that subsequently directs vessel development. ..