Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Arid1a
Description: AT rich interactive domain 1A (SWI-like)
Alias: 1110030E03Rik, BAF250a, Osa1, Smarcf1, AT-rich interactive domain-containing protein 1A, ARID domain-containing protein 1A, AT rich interactive domain 1A (Swi1 like), BAF250, BRG1-associated factor 250a, SWI-like protein, SWI/SNF complex protein p270, SWI/SNF-related, matrix-associated, actin-dependent regulator of chromatin subfamily F member 1, osa homolog 1
- Kozmik Z, Machon O, Kralova J, Kreslova J, Paces J, Vlcek C. Characterization of mammalian orthologues of the Drosophila osa gene: cDNA cloning, expression, chromosomal localization, and direct physical interaction with Brahma chromatin-remodeling complex. Genomics. 2001;73:140-8 pubmed..RNase protection analysis indicates a widespread expression of the Osa1 gene during mouse development, in adult tissues, and in cultured cell lines...
- Wu M, Peng S, Yang J, Tu Z, Cai X, Cai C, et al. Baf250a orchestrates an epigenetic pathway to repress the Nkx2.5-directed contractile cardiomyocyte program in the sinoatrial node. Cell Res. 2014;24:1201-13 pubmed publisher..To explore molecular control of SAN function, we specifically deleted Baf250a, a key regulatory component of the ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complex SWI/SNF, in the SAN...
- Mathur R, Alver B, San Roman A, WILSON B, Wang X, Agoston A, et al. ARID1A loss impairs enhancer-mediated gene regulation and drives colon cancer in mice. Nat Genet. 2017;49:296-302 pubmed publisher..Although ARID1A is the most frequent target of mutations, the mechanism by which its inactivation promotes tumorigenesis is ..
- Kim M, Lu F, Zhang Y. Loss of HDAC-Mediated Repression and Gain of NF-?B Activation Underlie Cytokine Induction in ARID1A- and PIK3CA-Mutation-Driven Ovarian Cancer. Cell Rep. 2016;17:275-288 pubmed publisherb>ARID1A is frequently mutated in ovarian clear cell carcinoma (OCCC) and often co-exists with activating mutations of PIK3CA...
- Chandler R, Damrauer J, Raab J, Schisler J, Wilkerson M, Didion J, et al. Coexistent ARID1A-PIK3CA mutations promote ovarian clear-cell tumorigenesis through pro-tumorigenic inflammatory cytokine signalling. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6118 pubmed publisherOvarian clear-cell carcinoma (OCCC) is an aggressive form of ovarian cancer with high ARID1A mutation rates. Here we present a mutant mouse model of OCCC...
- Nagl N, Patsialou A, Haines D, Dallas P, Beck G, Moran E. The p270 (ARID1A/SMARCF1) subunit of mammalian SWI/SNF-related complexes is essential for normal cell cycle arrest. Cancer Res. 2005;65:9236-44 pubmed..The noncatalytic subunits include p270/ARID1A, which is of particular interest because tissue array analysis corroborated by screening of tumor cell lines ..
- Nagl N, Wang X, Patsialou A, Van Scoy M, Moran E. Distinct mammalian SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complexes with opposing roles in cell-cycle control. EMBO J. 2007;26:752-63 pubmed..The specific complexes control access of factors such as E2F1, Tip60, and HDAC1/2/3 to the promoters of various cell-cycle-specific genes, with c-Myc emerging as a particularly critical target. ..
- Dykhuizen E, Hargreaves D, Miller E, Cui K, Korshunov A, Kool M, et al. BAF complexes facilitate decatenation of DNA by topoisomerase II?. Nature. 2013;497:624-7 pubmed publisher..Several proteins dedicated to this multisubunit complex, including BRG1 (also known as SMARCA4) and BAF250a (also known as ARID1A), are mutated at frequencies similar to those of recognized tumour suppressors...
- Olave I, Wang W, Xue Y, Kuo A, Crabtree G. Identification of a polymorphic, neuron-specific chromatin remodeling complex. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2509-17 pubmed..We speculate that bBAF complexes create neuronal-specific patterns of chromatin accessibility, thereby imparting new regulatory characteristics to ubiquitous sequence-specific transcription factors in neurons. ..
- Chandler R, Brennan J, Schisler J, Serber D, Patterson C, Magnuson T. ARID1a-DNA interactions are required for promoter occupancy by SWI/SNF. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:265-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that disruption of ARID1a-DNA binding in mice results in embryonic lethality, with mutant embryos manifesting prominent defects in the heart ..
- Flores Alcantar A, Gonzalez Sandoval A, Escalante Alcalde D, Lomeli H. Dynamics of expression of ARID1A and ARID1B subunits in mouse embryos and in cells during the cell cycle. Cell Tissue Res. 2011;345:137-48 pubmed publisher..b>ARID1A and ARID1B are mutually exclusive subunits of the BAF complex...
- Kartha N, Shen L, Maskin C, Wallace M, Schimenti J. The Chromatin Remodeling Component Arid1a Is a Suppressor of Spontaneous Mammary Tumors in Mice. Genetics. 2016;203:1601-11 pubmed publisherHuman cancer genome studies have identified the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex member ARID1A as one of the most frequently altered genes in several tumor types...
- Sun X, Chuang J, Kanchwala M, Wu L, Celen C, Li L, et al. Suppression of the SWI/SNF Component Arid1a Promotes Mammalian Regeneration. Cell Stem Cell. 2016;18:456-66 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that deleting the SWI/SNF component Arid1a substantially improves mammalian regeneration...
- Alver B, Kim K, Lu P, Wang X, Manchester H, Wang W, et al. The SWI/SNF chromatin remodelling complex is required for maintenance of lineage specific enhancers. Nat Commun. 2017;8:14648 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus establish SWI/SNF complexes as regulators of the enhancer landscape and provide insight into the roles of SWI/SNF in cellular fate control. ..
- Fang J, Li C, Liu X, Hu T, Fan Z, Han Z. Hepatocyte-Specific Arid1a Deficiency Initiates Mouse Steatohepatitis and Hepatocellular Carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0143042 pubmed publisherb>ARID1A, encoding a subunit of chromatin remodeling SWI/SNF complexes, has recently been considered as a new type of tumor suppressor gene for its somatic mutations frequently found in various human tumors, including hepatocellular ..
- Flajollet S, Lefebvre B, Cudejko C, Staels B, Lefebvre P. The core component of the mammalian SWI/SNF complex SMARCD3/BAF60c is a coactivator for the nuclear retinoic acid receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;270:23-32 pubmed..This coactivating property is dependent on SRC1 expression, showing that HATs and SWI/SNF cooperate in this retinoid-controlled transcriptional process. ..
- Kim T, Yoo J, Wang Z, Lydon J, Khatri S, Hawkins S, et al. ARID1A Is Essential for Endometrial Function during Early Pregnancy. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005537 pubmed publisherAT-rich interactive domain 1A gene (ARID1A) loss is a frequent event in endometriosis-associated ovarian carcinomas...
- Lessard J, Wu J, Ranish J, Wan M, Winslow M, Staahl B, et al. An essential switch in subunit composition of a chromatin remodeling complex during neural development. Neuron. 2007;55:201-15 pubmed..More broadly, these studies suggest that SWI/SNF-like complexes in vertebrates achieve biological specificity by combinatorial assembly of their subunits. ..
- Lei I, West J, Yan Z, Gao X, Fang P, Dennis J, et al. BAF250a Protein Regulates Nucleosome Occupancy and Histone Modifications in Priming Embryonic Stem Cell Differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:19343-52 pubmed publisher..To address whether remodeling of nucleosomes is important to the poised state, we characterized the function of BAF250a, a key regulatory subunit of the ES cell ATP-dependent Brahma-associated factor (BAF) chromatin remodeling ..
- Teasley H, Chang H, Kim T, Ku B, Jeong J. Expression of PIK3IP1 in the murine uterus during early pregnancy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;495:2553-2558 pubmed publisher..b>ARID1A plays an important role in steroid hormone signaling in endometrial function and pregnancy...
- Bitler B, Wu S, Park P, Hai Y, Aird K, Wang Y, et al. ARID1A-mutated ovarian cancers depend on HDAC6 activity. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:962-973 pubmed publisherb>ARID1A, encoding a subunit of the SWI/SNF chromatin-remodelling complex, is the most frequently mutated epigenetic regulator across all human cancers. ARID1A and TP53 mutations are typically mutually exclusive...
- Wang X, Khatri S, Broaddus R, Wang Z, Hawkins S. Deletion of Arid1a in Reproductive Tract Mesenchymal Cells Reduces Fertility in Female Mice. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:93 pubmed publisher..Although AT-rich interactive domain 1A (SWI-like) (ARID1A) is a putative tumor suppressor in human endometrial cancers and endometriosis-associated ovarian cancers, little ..
- Nguyen H, Sokpor G, Pham L, Rosenbusch J, Stoykova A, Staiger J, et al. Epigenetic regulation by BAF (mSWI/SNF) chromatin remodeling complexes is indispensable for embryonic development. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:1317-24 pubmed publisher..These findings improve our understanding of epigenetic mechanisms and their modulation by the chromatin-remodeling SWI/SNF complexes that control embryonic development. ..
- Chandler R, Magnuson T. The SWI/SNF BAF-A complex is essential for neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2016;411:15-24 pubmed publisher..Here we show that homozygous loss of ARID1A-containing, SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complexes (BAF-A) in NCCs results in embryonic lethality in mice, with ..
- Guan B, Rahmanto Y, Wu R, Wang Y, Wang Z, Wang T, et al. Roles of deletion of Arid1a, a tumor suppressor, in mouse ovarian tumorigenesis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014;106: pubmed publisherThe chromatin remodeling gene, ARID1A, has been implied as a tumor suppressor, and its somatic inactivating mutations occur in a wide variety of human cancers, most frequently in ovarian and uterine endometrioid and ovarian clear cell ..
- Kadoch C, Crabtree G. Reversible disruption of mSWI/SNF (BAF) complexes by the SS18-SSX oncogenic fusion in synovial sarcoma. Cell. 2013;153:71-85 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of transformation depends on only two amino acids of SSX, providing a potential foundation for therapeutic intervention. ..