Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ar
Description: androgen receptor
Alias: AW320017, Tfm, androgen receptor, dihydrotestosterone receptor, nuclear receptor subfamily 3 group C member 4, testicular feminization
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Development and function of the adult generation of Leydig cells in mice with Sertoli cell-selective or total ablation of the androgen receptorKarel De Gendt
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Department of Developmental Biology, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Endocrinology 146:4117-26. 2005..We evaluated adult LC development and function in SC-selective androgen receptor (AR) knockout (SCARKO) and complete AR knockout (ARKO) mice...
- Male fetal germ cells are targets for androgens that physiologically inhibit their proliferationJorge Merlet
Université Denis Diderot Paris 7 and Commissariat à l Energie Atomique, Institut de Radiobiologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 566, F 92265 Fontenay aux Roses, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3615-20. 2007..Using testicular feminized (Tfm) mice, we investigated the effects of a lack of functional androgen receptor (AR) on fetal germ cells, also named gonocytes...
- Androgen action via testicular peritubular myoid cells is essential for male fertilityMichelle Welsh
MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
FASEB J 23:4218-30. 2009..To address this controversy, we generated PTM-specific AR-knockout (PTM-ARKO) mice in which gross reproductive development was normal, but all PTM-ARKO males were azoospermic ..
- Promotion of bladder cancer development and progression by androgen receptor signalsHiroshi Miyamoto
Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:558-68. 2007..Unlike prostate cancer, human bladder cancer is not generally considered to be dependent on hormone activity. We investigated the possible involvement of androgens and the androgen receptor (AR) in bladder cancer.
- Hyperleptinemia without obesity in male mice lacking androgen receptor in adipose tissueI Chen Yu
Department of Pathology, George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, and the Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Endocrinology 149:2361-8. 2008..In previous studies we demonstrated that whole body androgen receptor (AR) knockout (AR(-/y)) mice develop obesity and exhibit insulin and leptin resistance at advanced age...
- Monocyte/macrophage androgen receptor suppresses cutaneous wound healing in mice by enhancing local TNF-alpha expressionJiann jyh Lai
George Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 119:3739-51. 2009..Indeed, androgen/androgen receptor (AR) signaling has been shown to inhibit cutaneous wound healing...
- Androgens regulate the permeability of the blood-testis barrierJing Meng
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16696-700. 2005..Sertoli cell-specific ablation of androgen receptor results in increased permeability of the blood-testis barrier to biotin, suggesting claudin 3 regulates the ..
- Increased hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance in mice lacking hepatic androgen receptorHung Yun Lin
George Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, and Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Hepatology 47:1924-35. 2008Early studies demonstrated that whole-body androgen receptor (AR)-knockout mice with hypogonadism exhibit insulin resistance...
- Generation and characterization of androgen receptor knockout (ARKO) mice: an in vivo model for the study of androgen functions in selective tissuesShuyuan Yeh
Departments of Urology and Pathology, George H Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:13498-503. 2002By using a cre-lox conditional knockout strategy, we report here the generation of androgen receptor knockout (ARKO) mice. Phenotype analysis shows that ARKO male mice have a female-like appearance and body weight...
- Testosterone inhibits adipogenic differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells: nuclear translocation of androgen receptor complex with beta-catenin and T-cell factor 4 may bypass canonical Wnt signaling to down-regulate adipogenic transcription factorsRajan Singh
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Charles R Drew School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
Endocrinology 147:141-54. 2006..We hypothesized that testosterone inhibits adipogenic differentiation of preadipocytes by activation of androgen receptor (AR)/beta-catenin interaction and subsequent translocation of this complex to the nucleus thereby bypassing ..
- Targeting the stromal androgen receptor in primary prostate tumors at earlier stagesYuanjie Niu
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12188-93. 2008To differentiate roles of androgen receptor (AR) in prostate stromal and epithelial cells, we have generated inducible-(ind)ARKO-TRAMP and prostate epithelial-specific ARKO TRAMP (pes-ARKO-TRAMP) mouse models, in which the AR was knocked ..
- Androgen receptor mediates non-genomic activation of phosphatidylinositol 3-OH kinase in androgen-sensitive epithelial cellsSilvère Baron
Génétique des Eucaryotes et Endocrinologie Moléculaire, UMR 6547 CNRS Université Blaise Pascal, Campus Universitaire des Cezeaux, 24 avenue des Landais, 63177 Aubiere Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 279:14579-86. 2004Androgens are known to modulate many cellular processes such as cell growth and survival by binding to the androgen receptor (AR) and activating the transcription of target genes...
- Brain masculinization requires androgen receptor functionTakashi Sato
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:1673-8. 2004..Thus, the role of androgen receptor (AR) in perinatal brain masculinization underlying the expression of male-typical behaviors remains unclear ..
- Regulation of myogenic differentiation by androgens: cross talk between androgen receptor/ beta-catenin and follistatin/transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathwaysRajan Singh
Division of Endocrinology and Research Centers in Minority Institutions Core Laboratory, Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
Endocrinology 150:1259-68. 2009..multipotent C3H 10T1/2 cells with testosterone and dihydrotestosterone promoted nuclear translocation of androgen receptor (AR)/beta-catenin complex and physical interaction of AR, beta-catenin, and T-cell factor-4 (TCF-4)...
- Liganded androgen receptor interaction with beta-catenin: nuclear co-localization and modulation of transcriptional activity in neuronal cellsJohn E Pawlowski
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Biol Chem 277:20702-10. 2002A yeast two-hybrid assay was employed to identify androgen receptor (AR) protein partners in gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronal cells...
- Functional potentiation of leptin-signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling by the androgen receptorWuQiang Fan
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Endocrinology 149:6028-36. 2008..Our previous study revealed that androgen receptor (AR)-null male mice (ARL-/Y) develop late-onset obesity and are leptin-resistant...
- Oct-1 preferentially interacts with androgen receptor in a DNA-dependent manner that facilitates recruitment of SRC-1M I Gonzalez
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
J Biol Chem 276:6420-8. 2001..This enhancer has, in addition to multiple androgen receptor (AR)-binding sites, a central region (FPIV) with a binding site for the ubiquitous transcription factor Oct-..
- Androgen receptor interactions with Oct-1 and Brn-1 are physically and functionally distinctM Ivelisse Gonzalez
Department of Human Genetics, 4909 Buhl Bldg, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 190:39-49. 2002..We compared the interaction of the androgen receptor (AR) with Oct-1 and Brn-1 to reveal the more likely candidate for regulation of Slp...
- Abnormal mammary gland development and growth retardation in female mice and MCF7 breast cancer cells lacking androgen receptorShuyuan Yeh
Department of Pathology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Exp Med 198:1899-908. 2003Phenotype analysis of female mice lacking androgen receptor (AR) deficient (AR-/-) indicates that the development of mammary glands is retarded with reduced ductal branching in the prepubertal stages, and fewer Cap cells in the terminal ..
- Androgen receptor function is required in Sertoli cells for the terminal differentiation of haploid spermatidsRobert W Holdcraft
University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Genome Sciences, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Development 131:459-67. 2004b>Androgen receptor function is required for male embryonic sexual differentiation, pubertal development and the regulation of spermatogenesis in mammals...
- A Sertoli cell-selective knockout of the androgen receptor causes spermatogenic arrest in meiosisKarel De Gendt
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Department of Developmental Biology, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Catholic University of Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:1327-32. 2004Androgens control spermatogenesis, but germ cells themselves do not express a functional androgen receptor (AR)...
- Role of p63 and basal cells in the prostateTakeshi Kurita
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 131:4955-64. 2004..However, regressed p63(-/-) prostate did regenerate in response to androgen administration, indicating that basal cells were not essential for prostatic regeneration...
- Roles of steroid receptor coactivator (SRC)-1 and transcriptional intermediary factor (TIF) 2 in androgen receptor activity in miceXiangcang Ye
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9487-92. 2005..To quantify their roles in the function of androgen receptor (AR) transcriptional activity in vivo, we generated a unique transgenic AR-reporter mouse and analyzed the ..
- The effect of a sertoli cell-selective knockout of the androgen receptor on testicular gene expression in prepubertal miceEvi Denolet
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Mol Endocrinol 20:321-34. 2006..of androgens on spermatogenesis, testicular gene expression was compared in mice with Sertoli cell-selective androgen receptor knockout (SCARKO) and littermate controls on postnatal d 10...
- Expression of androgen and estrogen receptors in sertoli cells: studies using the mouse SK11 cell lineSharon F Sneddon
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Endocrinology 146:5304-12. 2005..In the adult testis, Sc contain androgen receptor (AR) and estrogen receptor (ER)-beta but exhibit a loss of steroid responsiveness when maintained in primary ..
- Oligozoospermia with normal fertility in male mice lacking the androgen receptor in testis peritubular myoid cellsCaixia Zhang
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17718-23. 2006Androgens and the androgen receptor (AR) play important roles in the testes...
- Insulin-like growth factor 1/insulin signaling activates androgen signaling through direct interactions of Foxo1 with androgen receptorWuQiang Fan
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582
J Biol Chem 282:7329-38. 2007The androgen-androgen receptor (AR) system plays vital roles in a wide array of biological processes, including prostate cancer development and progression...
- Occurrence of testicular microlithiasis in androgen insensitive hypogonadal micePeter J O'Shaughnessy
Institute of Comparative Medicine, Division of Cell Sciences, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden Rd, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7:88. 2009..Studies to identify the mechanisms of microlith development have been hampered by the lack of suitable animal models for TM...
- A frameshift mutation destabilizes androgen receptor messenger RNA in the Tfm mouseN J Charest
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
Mol Endocrinol 5:573-81. 1991A composite mouse androgen receptor DNA sequence was obtained by amplifying genomic DNA or cDNA using the polymerase chain reaction. The open reading frame was 2,697 basepairs, encoding a polypeptide of 899 amino acids (98,204 mol wt)...
- Testicular steroidogenesis in the testicular feminized (Tfm) mouse: loss of 17 alpha-hydroxylase activityL Murphy
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, London
J Endocrinol 131:443-9. 1991Testicular feminized (Tfm) mice are totally insensitive to androgen and may be used to study the role of the androgen receptor in normal development and function. We have examined testicular and Leydig cell steroidogenesis in Tfm mice...
- Abnormal Leydig cell development at puberty in the androgen-resistant Tfm mouseL Murphy
Department of Veterinary Physiology, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Scotland
Endocrinology 135:1372-7. 1994..action in regulating the development of Leydig cell function has been determined using the testicular feminized (Tfm/Y) mouse, which lacks androgen receptors...
- Müllerian-inhibiting substance function during mammalian sexual developmentR R Behringer
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Cell 79:415-25. 1994..actions of the two primary hormones of male sexual differentiation were genetically eliminated using the testicular feminization (Tfm) mutation in combination with the MIS mutant allele...
- Immunohistochemical localization of androgen receptor in mouse testicular germ cells during fetal and postnatal developmentX Zhou
Department of Anatomy, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Anat Rec 245:509-18. 1996Determination of the cellular distribution of the androgen receptor (AR) in testicular cells is necessary for understanding the mode of AR action in the testis...
- Hormonal and cellular regulation of Sertoli cell anti-Müllerian hormone production in the postnatal mouseL Al-Attar
Unité de Recherches sur l Endocrinologie du Développement INSERM, Ecole Normale Superieure, Departement de Biologie, 92120 Montrouge, France
J Clin Invest 100:1335-43. 1997..neonatal mice, AMH was not inhibited by intratesticular testosterone, due to the lack of expression of the androgen receptor in Sertoli cells...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling is necessary for sexual dimorphism during embryonic mammary developmentM E Dunbar
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Development 126:3485-93. 1999..Mammary epithelial cells induce androgen receptor (AR) within the mammary mesenchyme and, in response to androgens, the mesenchyme condenses around the ..
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein maintains mammary epithelial fate and triggers nipple skin differentiation during embryonic breast developmentJ Foley
Medical Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Development 128:513-25. 2001..Finally, PTHrP signaling regulates the epidermal and mesenchymal expression of LEF1 and (&bgr;)-catenin, suggesting that these changes in cell fate involve an interaction between the PTHrP and Wnt signaling pathways...
- Murine germ cells do not require functional androgen receptors to complete spermatogenesis following spermatogonial stem cell transplantationD S Johnston
School of Molecular Biosciences and Center for Reproductive Biology, Washington State University, Pullman 99164, USA
Endocrinology 142:2405-8. 2001....
- Phosphorylation-dependent ubiquitylation and degradation of androgen receptor by Akt require Mdm2 E3 ligaseHui Kuan Lin
George H Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology and The Cancer Center, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
EMBO J 21:4037-48. 2002The androgen receptor (AR) controls several biological functions including prostate cell growth and apoptosis. However, the mechanism by which AR maintains its stability to function properly remains largely unknown...
- Localization of androgen and estrogen receptors in adult male mouse reproductive tractQing Zhou
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61802, USA
J Androl 23:870-81. 2002..In this study, androgen receptor (AR) and estrogen receptors ERalpha and ERbeta were visualized by immunohistochemistry in adult male mice ..
- Late onset of obesity in male androgen receptor-deficient (AR KO) miceTakashi Sato
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 300:167-71. 2003..The male (AR(L-/Y)) (KO) mice exhibited typical features of testicular feminization mutant (Tfm) disease in external reproductive organs with growth retardation...
- Suppressive function of androgen receptor in bone resorptionHirotaka Kawano
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences and Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:9416-21. 2003..from testicular testosterone contributes to apparent androgen activity, the physiological significance of androgen receptor (AR) function in the beneficial effects of androgens on skeletal tissues has remained unclear...
- Androgen receptor corepressor-19 kDa (ARR19), a leucine-rich protein that represses the transcriptional activity of androgen receptor through recruitment of histone deacetylaseByung Chul Jeong
Hormone Research Center, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Mol Endocrinol 18:13-25. 2004b>Androgen receptor (AR) that mediates androgen action is a crucial factor in male reproductive functions...
- Infertility with defective spermatogenesis and hypotestosteronemia in male mice lacking the androgen receptor in Sertoli cellsChawnshang Chang
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology and Urology, and the Cancer Center, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6876-81. 2004Androgens and the androgen receptor (AR) play important roles in male fertility, although the detailed mechanisms, particularly how androgen/AR influences spermatogenesis in particular cell types, remain unclear...
- Subfertility and defective folliculogenesis in female mice lacking androgen receptorYueh Chiang Hu
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology and Urology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:11209-14. 2004The roles of the androgen receptor (AR) in female fertility and ovarian function remain largely unknown. Here we report on the generation of female mice lacking AR (AR(-/-)) and the resulting influences on the reproductive system...
- A role for the androgen receptor in collagen content of the skinMarina S Markova
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Invest Dermatol 123:1052-6. 2004..Furthermore, male mice with an X-linked mutation in the androgen receptor gene (formerly called testicular feminization and abbreviated as Ar(Tfm)) showed decreased levels of collagen, indicating that the androgen receptor ..
- The role of androgens in sertoli cell proliferation and functional maturation: studies in mice with total or Sertoli cell-selective ablation of the androgen receptorKaren A L Tan
Onderwijs en Navorsing, Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49 bus 902, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Endocrinology 146:2674-83. 2005..We evaluated these functions in complete androgen receptor knockout (ARKO) and SC-selective androgen receptor knockout (SCARKO) mice...
- Androgen receptor null male mice develop late-onset obesity caused by decreased energy expenditure and lipolytic activity but show normal insulin sensitivity with high adiponectin secretionWuQiang Fan
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582 Japan
Diabetes 54:1000-8. 2005b>Androgen receptor (AR) null male mice (AR(L-/Y)) revealed late-onset obesity, which was confirmed by computed tomography-based body composition analysis...
- Forkhead box A1 regulates prostate ductal morphogenesis and promotes epithelial cell maturationNan Gao
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Development 132:3431-43. 2005..These data indicate that Foxa1 plays a pivotal role in controlling prostate morphogenesis and cell differentiation...
- Genomic actions of the androgen receptor are required for normal male sexual differentiation in a mouse modelA J Notini
Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
J Mol Endocrinol 35:547-55. 2005Androgens mediate their effects in target cells via the androgen receptor (AR), which acts predominantly as a ligand-dependent transcription factor...
- Relative impact of androgen and estrogen receptor activation in the effects of androgens on trabecular and cortical bone in growing male mice: a study in the androgen receptor knockout mouse modelKatrien Venken
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 21:576-85. 2006The relative importance of AR and ER activation has been studied in pubertal male AR knockout and WT mice after orchidectomy and androgen replacement therapy, either with or without an aromatase inhibitor...
- Loss of endogenous androgen receptor protein accelerates motor neuron degeneration and accentuates androgen insensitivity in a mouse model of X-linked spinal and bulbar muscular atrophyPatrick S Thomas
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, 98195 7110, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:2225-38. 2006..transgenic mouse model with 100 glutamines (AR100) and a corresponding control (AR20) onto an AR null (testicular feminization; Tfm) background...
- Androgen receptor in sertoli cell is essential for germ cell nursery and junctional complex formation in mouse testesRuey Sheng Wang
George H Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, Department of Urology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA, and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Endocrinology 147:5624-33. 2006To examine the role of androgen receptor (AR) in Sertoli cells (SC), we used a SC-specific AR knockout (S-AR-/y) mouse to further evaluate the chronological changes of seminiferous tubules and the molecular mechanisms of SC androgen/AR ..
- Androgen-dependent pathology demonstrates myopathic contribution to the Kennedy disease phenotype in a mouse knock-in modelZhigang Yu
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0605, USA
J Clin Invest 116:2663-72. 2006..by androgen-dependent neuromuscular weakness, is caused by a CAG/glutamine tract expansion in the androgen receptor (Ar) gene...
- Transcriptional profiling of androgen receptor (AR) mutants suggests instructive and permissive roles of AR signaling in germ cell developmentStephen M Eacker
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Box 355065, 1705 NE Pacific, Foege Building, Room 133C, Seattle, Washington 98195 5065, USA
Mol Endocrinol 21:895-907. 2007The androgen receptor (AR) is a transcription factor that plays a critical role in male sexual development, spermatogenesis, and maintenance of hormonal homeostasis...
- Disruption of prostate epithelial androgen receptor impedes prostate lobe-specific growth and functionUlla Simanainen
ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2139, Australia
Endocrinology 148:2264-72. 2007Prostate development and maturation requires stromal-epithelial interactions and androgen action via the androgen receptor (AR) within these compartments...
- The pituitary function of androgen receptor constitutes a glucocorticoid production circuitJunko Miyamoto
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 27:4807-14. 2007b>Androgen receptor (AR) mediates diverse androgen actions, particularly reproductive processes in males and females...
- Increased prostate cell proliferation and loss of cell differentiation in mice lacking prostate epithelial androgen receptorChun Te Wu
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology and Urology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12679-84. 2007..cytodifferentiation, and proliferation/apoptosis are regulated by androgens acting through stromal androgen receptor (AR)...
- Impaired skeletal muscle development and function in male, but not female, genomic androgen receptor knockout miceHelen E MacLean
Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
FASEB J 22:2676-89. 2008To identify mechanisms of anabolic androgen action in muscle, we generated male and female genomic androgen receptor (AR) knockout (ARKO) mice, and characterized muscle mass, contractile function, and gene expression...
- Spermatogenesis and sertoli cell activity in mice lacking sertoli cell receptors for follicle-stimulating hormone and androgenM H Abel
Department of Human Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Endocrinology 149:3279-85. 2008..In addition, the Sertoli cell retains a significant capacity for activity, which is independent of direct hormonal regulation...
- Androgen receptor functions in male and female physiologyTakahiro Matsumoto
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 109:236-41. 2008..actions of androgens are mediated by transcriptional control of target genes through binding to the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Antagonistic effects of testosterone and the endocrine disruptor mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate on INSL3 transcription in Leydig cellsEric Laguë
Department of Reproduction, Perinatal, and Child Health, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire of Quebec Research Centre, CHUL Room T1 49, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G2
Endocrinology 149:4688-94. 2008..In addition, the testosterone-stimulating effects on Insl3 mRNA levels and promoter activity require the androgen receptor. We have mapped the testosterone-responsive element to the proximal Insl3 promoter region...
- Androgen receptor is a new potential therapeutic target for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomaWen Lung Ma
Department of Pathology, George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Gastroenterology 135:947-55, 955.e1-5. 2008..Here we examine androgen receptor (AR) roles in hepatocarcinogenesis using mice lacking AR in hepatocytes.
- Androgen receptor is a tumor suppressor and proliferator in prostate cancerYuanjie Niu
George Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12182-7. 2008Targeting androgens/androgen receptor (AR) functions via androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) remains the standard treatment for prostate cancer. However, most tumors eventually recur despite ADT...
- Mitochondrial abnormalities in spinal and bulbar muscular atrophySrikanth Ranganathan
Neurogenetics Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:27-42. 2009..bulbar muscular atrophy (SBMA) is a motor neuron disease caused by polyglutamine expansion mutation in the androgen receptor (AR). We investigated whether the mutant protein alters mitochondrial function...
- Altered TNSALP expression and phosphate regulation contribute to reduced mineralization in mice lacking androgen receptorHong Yo Kang
Center for Menopause and Reproductive Medicine Research, Chang Gung University, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 12F, No 123, Ta Pei Rd, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung 833, Taiwan
Mol Cell Biol 28:7354-67. 2008While androgen receptor (AR)-deficient mice developed osteopenia in endochondral bones due to the high bone turnover with increased bone resorption by osteoclasts, little is known about the mechanism of intramembranous bone loss ..
- Activation of beta-Catenin in mouse prostate causes HGPIN and continuous prostate growth after castrationXiuping Yu
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Prostate 69:249-62. 2009..Although stabilizing mutations in APC and beta-Catenin are rare in primary prostate tumors, recent studies suggest that cytoplasmic/nuclear beta-Catenin is associated with advanced, metastatic, hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma...
- Androgen receptor in Sertoli cells is not required for testosterone-induced suppression of spermatogenesis, but contributes to Sertoli cell organization in Utp14b jsd miceGensheng Wang
Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Androl 30:338-48. 2009Testosterone acting through the androgen receptor (AR) maintains the arrest of spermatogonial differentiation in juvenile spermatogonial depletion (jsd mutation in the Utp14b gene) mutant adult male mice...
- Polyglutamine-expanded androgen receptor truncation fragments activate a Bax-dependent apoptotic cascade mediated by DP5/HrkJessica E Young
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7110, USA
J Neurosci 29:1987-97. 2009..SBMA) is an inherited neuromuscular disorder caused by a polyglutamine (polyQ) repeat expansion in the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Neutropenia with impaired host defense against microbial infection in mice lacking androgen receptorKuang Hsiang Chuang
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Exp Med 206:1181-99. 2009..supplement can restore neutrophil counts via stabilizing AR in castrated mice, but not in ARKO and testicular feminization mutant (Tfm) mice...
- The androgen receptor governs the execution, but not programming, of male sexual and territorial behaviorsScott A Juntti
Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of California, San Francisco, MC2722, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Neuron 66:260-72. 2010..Circulating testosterone activates the androgen receptor (AR) and also serves as the source of estrogen in the brain...
- Granulosa cell-specific androgen receptors are critical regulators of ovarian development and functionAritro Sen
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:1393-403. 2010..significance of androgens in female reproduction was unclear until female mice with global knockout of androgen receptor (AR) expression were found to have reduced fertility with abnormal ovarian function...
- Altered prostate epithelial development and IGF-1 signal in mice lacking the androgen receptor in stromal smooth muscle cellsShengqiang Yu
George H Whipple Lab for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Prostate 71:517-24. 2011Androgens and the androgen receptor (AR) play critical roles in the prostate development via mesenchymal-epithelial interactions...
- Androgen action via testicular arteriole smooth muscle cells is important for Leydig cell function, vasomotion and testicular fluid dynamicsMichelle Welsh
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e13632. 2010..One possibility is by signalling via androgen receptors (AR) expressed in testicular arteriole smooth muscle cells...
- Selective ablation of the androgen receptor in mouse sertoli cells affects sertoli cell maturation, barrier formation and cytoskeletal developmentAriane Willems
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
PLoS ONE 5:e14168. 2010The observation that mice with a selective ablation of the androgen receptor (AR) in Sertoli cells (SC) (SCARKO mice) display a complete block in meiosis supports the contention that SC play a pivotal role in the control of germ cell ..
- Androgen receptor expression in the caput epididymal epithelium is essential for development of the initial segment and epididymal spermatozoa transitLaura O'Hara
MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Endocrinology 152:718-29. 2011..Formation and function of the epididymis is androgen-dependent. The androgen receptor (AR) is expressed in both the stromal and epithelial compartments of the epididymis, and androgen action ..
- Cell autonomous role of PTEN in regulating castration-resistant prostate cancer growthDavid J Mulholland
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology and Institute for Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1735, USA
Cancer Cell 19:792-804. 2011..PTEN loss suppresses androgen-responsive gene expressions by modulating androgen receptor (AR) transcription factor activity...
- Smooth muscle cell-specific knockout of androgen receptor: a new model for prostatic diseaseMichelle Welsh
Medical Research Council Centre for Reproductive Health, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, EH16 4TJ, Scotland, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 152:3541-51. 2011..smooth muscle (SM) androgen signaling in normal adult prostate homeostasis and function using mice in which androgen receptor was selectively ablated from prostatic SM cells...
- Anterior prostate epithelial AR inactivation modifies estrogen receptor expression and increases estrogen sensitivityUlla Simanainen
ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 301:E727-35. 2011..androgen withdrawal in the prostate stromal and epithelial compartments with a prostate epithelial androgen receptor (AR) knockout (PEARKO) mouse model of selective epithelial AR inactivation...
- Suppressed prostate epithelial development with impaired branching morphogenesis in mice lacking stromal fibromuscular androgen receptorKuo Pao Lai
George H Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Mol Endocrinol 26:52-66. 2012Using the cre-loxP system, we generated a new mouse model [double stromal androgen receptor knockout (dARKO)] with selectively deleted androgen receptor (AR) in both stromal fibroblasts and smooth muscle cells, and found the size of the ..
- Androgen resistance in female mice increases susceptibility to DMBA-induced mammary tumorsUlla Simanainen
Andrology Laboratory, ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2139, Australia
Horm Cancer 3:113-24. 2012..This study determined the role of the androgen actions via androgen receptor (AR) in experimental mammary cancer...
- A role for selective androgen response elements in the development of the epididymis and the androgen control of the 5α reductase II geneStefanie Kerkhofs
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Katholieke Univesiteit Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg O and N1 P O Box 901, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
FASEB J 26:4360-72. 2012The androgen receptor (AR) recognizes two types of DNA elements that are dimers of 5'-AGAACA-3'-like hexamers, either organized as inverted or direct repeats...
- Androgen receptor (AR) in osteocytes is important for the maintenance of male skeletal integrity: evidence from targeted AR disruption in mouse osteocytesMieke Sinnesael
Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, Department of Experimental Medicine, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 27:2535-43. 2012Androgens play a key role in the maintenance of male skeletal integrity. The regulation of this integrity by androgen receptor (AR) signaling has been mainly attributed to osteoblasts...
- Wnt signaling though beta-catenin is required for prostate lineage specificationBrian W Simons
Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Biol 371:246-55. 2012..Deletion of beta-catenin in the adult prostate did not significantly affect organ homeostasis. Collectively, these data establish that beta-catenin and Wnt signaling play key roles in prostate lineage specification and bud outgrowth...
- Targeting thymic epithelia AR enhances T-cell reconstitution and bone marrow transplant grafting efficacyKuo Pao Lai
George H Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Mol Endocrinol 27:25-37. 2013..By performing studies with reciprocal BMT and cell-specific androgen receptor (AR) knockout mice, we found that AR in thymic epithelial cells, but not thymocytes or fibroblasts, played a ..
- Suppression of androgen receptor enhances the self-renewal of mesenchymal stem cells through elevated expression of EGFRChiung Kuei Huang
Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1833:1222-34. 2013..we demonstrated that the BM-MSCs and adipocyte derived mesenchymal stem cells (ADSCs) isolated from the androgen receptor (AR) knockout mice have higher self-renewal ability than those obtained from the wild-type mice...
- A single base deletion in the Tfm androgen receptor gene creates a short-lived messenger RNA that directs internal translation initiationM L Gaspar
Unité d Immunogénétique et Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 276, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:8606-10. 1991..hemizygous for the X-chromosome-linked mutant gene Tfm express detectable but severely reduced levels of androgen receptor mRNA, amounting to about 10% of the level found in normal male littermates...
- X-linked gene for testicular feminization in the mouseM F Lyon
Nature 227:1217-9. 1970
- Androgen receptor expression is regulated by the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway in normal and tumoral epithelial cellsMichèle Manin
UMR CNRS 6547, Equipe Physiologie Comparée et Endocrinologie Moléculaire, Universite Blaise Pascal, Les Cézeaux, 63177, Aubiere Cedex, France
Biochem J 366:729-36. 2002The androgen receptor (AR) is a ligand-responsive transcription factor known to play a central role in the pathogenesis of prostate cancer...
- Failure of normal adult Leydig cell development in androgen-receptor-deficient micePeter J O'Shaughnessy
Institute of Comparative Medicine, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden Rd, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
J Cell Sci 115:3491-6. 2002..differentiation and function, Leydig development has been measured in mice lacking functional androgen receptors (AR-null)...
- Insulin and leptin resistance with hyperleptinemia in mice lacking androgen receptorHung Yun Lin
Department of Pathology, Urology, Radiation Oncology, and the Cancer Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Diabetes 54:1717-25. 2005..Thus, lacking androgen receptor (AR) in male individuals may promote insulin resistance...
- Differential effects of spermatogenesis and fertility in mice lacking androgen receptor in individual testis cellsMeng Yin Tsai
George H Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Urology and Pathology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:18975-80. 2006Using a Cre-Lox conditional knockout strategy, we generated a germ cell-specific androgen receptor (AR) knockout mouse (G-AR(-/y)) with normal spermatogenesis...
- Infertility with defective spermatogenesis and steroidogenesis in male mice lacking androgen receptor in Leydig cellsQingquan Xu
Department of Pathology, The Cancer Center, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Endocrine 32:96-106. 2007Androgen and the androgen receptor (AR) have been shown to play critical roles in male fertility...
- New insights into the role of androgens in wolffian duct stabilization in male and female rodentsMichelle Welsh
Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 150:2472-80. 2009..5-postnatal d0 in male and female androgen receptor knockout mice, and in rats treated from e14...
- Abnormalities of germ cell maturation and sertoli cell cytoskeleton in androgen receptor 113 CAG knock-in mice reveal toxic effects of the mutant proteinZhigang Yu
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, 1301 Catherine, 4233 Medical Science 1, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Pathol 168:195-204. 2006..cell cytoskeleton, changes that are distinct from those produced by AR loss-of-function mutation in testicular feminization mutant mice...
- The ins and outs of a polyglutamine neurodegenerative disease: spinocerebellar ataxia type 1 (SCA1)H T Orr
Department of Genetics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55455, USA
Neurobiol Dis 7:129-34. 2000..This review summarizes these findings and places them in a context of potential future research directions...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein activates Wnt signaling to specify the embryonic mammary mesenchymeMinoti Hiremath
Department of Biological Sciences, Boise State University, Boise, ID 83725, USA
Development 139:4239-49. 2012..Therefore, we conclude that a mesenchymal, canonical Wnt pathway mediates the PTHrP-dependent specification of the mammary mesenchyme...
- Structure and size distribution of the androgen receptor mRNA in wild-type and Tfm/Y mutant miceM L Gaspar
Unité d Immunogénétique, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Endocrinol 4:1600-10. 1990Complementary DNA clones covering the coding region of the mouse androgen receptor (AR) were assembled by enzymatic amplification from testicular RNA and genomic DNA...
- Testosterone-"regulon" in the mouse kidneyR Dofuku
Nat New Biol 232:5-7. 1971
- Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of mouse Eplg2, a gene encoding a binding protein for the receptor tyrosine kinase elkF A Fletcher
Immunex Research and Development Corporation, Seattle, Washington 98101
Genomics 24:127-32. 1994..The first intron comprises approximately 8.5 kb of the entire 12-kb genomic sequence. Eplg2 was mapped to the mouse X chromosome by interspecific backcross analysis and is tightly linked to the androgen receptor (Ar) locus.
- Identification and characterization of a suppressor element in the 5'-flanking region of the mouse androgen receptor geneM V Kumar
Department of Urology, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905
Nucleic Acids Res 22:3693-8. 1994Androgens play an important role in the development and maintenance of male reproductive organs through the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Mesenchymal-epithelial interactions and transforming growth factor-beta expression during mouse prostate morphogenesisT L Timme
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Endocrinology 134:1039-45. 1994..Tissue plasminogen activator, urokinase plasminogen activator, androgen receptor, and c-myc mRNA levels were also elevated in UGM compared to UGE...
- TR2 AND TR3 ORPHAN RECEPTORS IN PROSTATE CANCERChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- AR-ASSOCIATED PROTEINS IN PROSTATE CARCINOGENESISChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2001..whether a change in the molecular mechanism of androgen receptor (AR) function can contribute to the progression of human CaP to an androgen-independent state is an ..
- TR4 ORPHAN RECEPTOR IN TESTISChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aim 5) Study cross talk between p53 and TR4 in testes. The successful completion of this proposal may help us to better understand the molecular mechanism of the TR4 and its potential biochemical functions. ..
- Induction of AR Transactivation by DHT and E2Chawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (Provided by the applicant) Androgens, acting through the androgen receptor (AR), mediate a wide spectrum of developmental and physiological processes, including the development and maintenance of the prostate...
- Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer and BoneChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..One of the important mediators of prostate cancer cell proliferation is androgens functioning through the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Androgen Receptor in B Cell Development and FunctionsChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This effect is due to reduction of male sex hormone, androgen, which acts through activation of androgen receptor (AR)...
- Single and Double Knockout of TR2 and TR4 ReceptorsChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2006..In summary, this proposal provides us the first opportunity to study the potential in vivo physiological roles of the TR2 and TR4 orphan nuclear receptors. ..
- Suppression of Androgen Receptor by PTENChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): PTEN and AR are highly involved in the prostate cancer progression. The linkage between these two antagonistic factors remains unclear...
- MECHANISM OF STEROID SPECIFIC GENE ACTIVATIONDIANE ROBINS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Despite their functional diversity, glucocorticoid, androgen, progesterone, and mineralocorticoid receptors (GR, AR, PR, MR) are structurally uniform and recognize the same consensus hormone response element (HRB)...
- RSL, A NOVEL REGULATOR OF SEXUALLY DIMORPHIC LIVER GENESDIANE ROBINS; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our results will be broadly significant to mechanisms that establish and maintain gene silencing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Altered Androgen Receptor Function Due to CAG ExpansionAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Among these disorders is Kennedy's disease, a motor neuronopathy caused by a mutation in the androgen receptor gene. It is not well understood how this mutation causes neuronal degeneration...
- GENETICS OF HEART AND KIDNEY DAMAGE IN HYPERTENSIONChristian Deschepper; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Modifiers of Polyglutamine ToxicityAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Kennedy's disease, a degenerative disorder of motor neurons caused by a CAG/glutamine expansion in the androgen receptor. The laboratory's long-range goal is to understand the mechanisms by which expansions of glutamine ..
- A conditional null mutant of the mouse Npc1 geneAndrew Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Androgen action in bone: Overexpression of ARKristine M Wiren; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that androgens influence bone formation and bone size through actions mediated by the androgen receptor (AR) in the osteoblastic lineage...
- Modulation of ataxin-1 phosphorylationHarry Orr; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lead compounds that have been validated will be used to begin preclinical testing using a mouse model of SCA1. ..
- Persistent changes in brain expression after withdrawalKRISTINE WIREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. physical dependence leading to withdrawal seizures) are regulated at the genetic level. This knowledge may help in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..