Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Aqp2
Description: aquaporin 2
Alias: AQP-CD, WCH-CD, cph, jpk, aquaporin-2, ADH water channel, AQP-2, aquaporin-CD, collecting duct water channel protein, water channel protein for renal collecting duct
Publications114 found, 100 shown here
- ER stress induces the expression of Jpk, which inhibits cell cycle progression in F9 teratocarcinoma cellHye Sun Kim
Department of Anatomy, Embryology Lab, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, C P O Box 8044, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1095:76-81. 2007Jopock (Jpk), a transacting factor associated with the position-specific regulatory element of murine Hoxa-7, has shown to induce cell death in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells when introduced and overexpressed...
- Serine 269 phosphorylated aquaporin-2 is targeted to the apical membrane of collecting duct principal cellsHanne B Moeller
The Water and Salt Research Center, Institute of Anatomy, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Kidney Int 75:295-303. 2009..We recently identified a novel form of aquaporin-2 that is phosphorylated at serine-269 (pS269-AQP2)...
- Phosphorylation of aquaporin-2 regulates its endocytosis and protein-protein interactionsHanne B Moeller
Water and Salt Research Center, Department of Anatomy, Aarhus University, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:424-9. 2010The water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2) is essential for urine concentration. Vasopressin regulates phosphorylation of AQP2 at four conserved serine residues at the COOH-terminal tail (S256, S261, S264, and S269)...
- Teashirt 3 is necessary for ureteral smooth muscle differentiation downstream of SHH and BMP4Xavier Caubit
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy IBDML, UMR6216, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Development 135:3301-10. 2008....
- Developmental expression of urine concentration-associated genes and their altered expression in murine infantile-type polycystic kidney diseaseV H Gattone
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7400, USA
Dev Genet 24:309-18. 1999..arginine vasopressin V2 receptors (AVP-V2R), and 3) the presence of appropriate CD water channels (aquaporins, AQP 2 and 3). An increase in urine osmolarity, normally seen between 1 and 3 weeks of age, was absent in cpk cystic mice...
- Cloning and characterization of murine Aqp5: evidence for a conserved aquaporin gene clusterC M Krane
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
Mamm Genome 10:498-505. 1999..and physical mapping genomic fragments contiguous with Aqp5 revealed two other members of the aquaporin family: Aqp2 and Aqp6, arrayed head to tail in the order Aqp2-Aqp5-Aqp6, and provides evidence of a gene cluster conserved in ..
- Neonatal mortality in an aquaporin-2 knock-in mouse model of recessive nephrogenic diabetes insipidusB Yang
Departments of Medicine, Physiology, and Pediatrics, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0521, USA
J Biol Chem 276:2775-9. 2001Hereditary non-X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is caused by mutations in the aquaporin-2 (AQP2) water channel...
- Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 alters vasopressin regulation of urine osmolalityYuqiang Ge
Division of Nephrology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F912-20. 2005..normal water intake, urinary osmolality (Uosm), plasma Na concentration, urine volume, and renal aquaporin-2 (AQP2) levels were unchanged, but plasma AVP concentration was reduced in CD ET-1 KO animals...
- Aquaporins contribute to diarrhoea caused by attaching and effacing bacterial pathogensJulian A Guttman
The University of British Columbia, Michael Smith Laboratories, 301 2185 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Cell Microbiol 9:131-41. 2007..rodentium infection may alter AQP localization in colonocytes. We demonstrate that during infection, AQP2 and AQP3 are mislocalized from their normal location along cell membranes to the cell cytoplasm...
- Ubiquitous and kidney-specific subunits of vacuolar H+-ATPase are differentially expressed during nephrogenesisFrancois Jouret
Division of Nephrology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 10 Avenue Hippocrate, Brussels, Belgium B 1200
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3235-46. 2005..They provide new insights into the complex regulation of V-ATPase subunits, the maturation of IC along the nephron, and the pathophysiology of hereditary dRTA...
- Inactivation of Notch signaling in the renal collecting duct causes nephrogenic diabetes insipidus in miceHyun Woo Jeong
Department of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Clin Invest 119:3290-300. 2009..Our data demonstrate that Notch signaling is required for the development of the mammalian renal collecting duct and principal cell differentiation and indicate that pathway dysregulation may contribute to distal renal tubular disorders...
- Reciprocal regulation of aquaporin-2 abundance and degradation by protein kinase A and p38-MAP kinasePavel I Nedvetsky
Leibniz Institute for Molecular Pharmacology, Berlin, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:1645-56. 2010Arginine-vasopressin (AVP) modulates the water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2) in the renal collecting duct to maintain homeostasis of body water...
- Severe urinary concentrating defect in renal collecting duct-selective AQP2 conditional-knockout miceAleksandra Rojek
Water and Salt Research Center, Institute of Anatomy, and Department of Molecular Biology, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6037-42. 2006Aquaporin-2 (AQP2) is the predominant vasopressin-regulated water channel in kidney connecting tubule (CNT) and collecting duct (CD) and is essential for renal regulation of body water balance...
- Intrarenal and cellular localization of CLC-K2 protein in the mouse kidneyK Kobayashi
Department of Pediatrics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, School of Medicine, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:1327-34. 2001..These aspects of CLC-K2 localization suggest that CLC-K2 is important in Cl(-) transport in the distal nephron segments...
- Effect of the cGMP pathway on AQP2 expression and translocation: potential implications for nephrogenic diabetes insipidusMichelle Boone
Department of Physiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:48-54. 2010..a cAMP signalling cascade resulting in the activation of protein kinase A (PKA), translocation of aquaporin-2 (AQP2) to the apical membrane and an increase in AQP2 expression. Consequently, concentration of urine is initiated...
- INPP5E mutations cause primary cilium signaling defects, ciliary instability and ciliopathies in human and mouseMonique Jacoby
Institut de Recherches Interdisciplinaires en Biologie Humaine et Moléculaire, Institut de Biologie et de Médecine Moléculaires, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
Nat Genet 41:1027-31. 2009..Together, our results show that INPP5E plays an essential role in the primary cilium by controlling ciliary growth factor and PI3K signaling and stability, and highlight the consequences of INPP5E dysfunction...
- Characterization of a Dchs1 mutant mouse reveals requirements for Dchs1-Fat4 signaling during mammalian developmentYaopan Mao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Waksman Institute and Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 138:947-57. 2011..Our analysis implies that Dchs1 and Fat4 function as a ligand-receptor pair during murine development, and identifies novel requirements for Dchs1-Fat4 signaling in multiple organs...
- Hypotonicity-induced reduction of aquaporin-2 transcription in mpkCCD cells is independent of the tonicity responsive element, vasopressin, and cAMPMarleen L A Kortenoeven
Department of Physiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 286:13002-10. 2011..and is suggested to involve a tonicity-determined down-regulation of the water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2). The underlying mechanism, however, is poorly understood...
- Tight regulation of p53 activity by Mdm2 is required for ureteric bud growth and branchingSylvia Hilliard
Tulane University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Nephrology, Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Dev Biol 353:354-66. 2011..These results demonstrate a critical and cell autonomous role for Mdm2 in the UB lineage. Mdm2-mediated inhibition of p53 activity is a prerequisite for renal organogenesis...
- Epithelial membrane transporters expression in the developing to adult mouse vomeronasal organ and olfactory mucosaFlavia Merigo
Department of Neurological, Neuropsychological, Morphological and Movement Sciences, University of Verona, Strada Le Grazie 8, Verona I 37134, Italy
Dev Neurobiol 71:854-69. 2011..Results showed that CC26, cAMP-activated chloride channel (CFTR), and the water channel protein aquaporin 2, 3, 4, and 5 (AQP2, AQP3, AQP4, and AQP5) are expressed in developing to adult chemosensory epithelia with ..
- Crumbs3 is essential for proper epithelial development and viabilityEileen L Whiteman
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Mol Cell Biol 34:43-56. 2014..Taken together, our data indicate that Crumbs3 is crucial for epithelial morphogenesis and plays a role in linking the apical membrane to the underlying ezrin-containing cytoskeleton. ..
- A protein kinase A-independent pathway controlling aquaporin 2 trafficking as a possible cause for the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis associated with polycystic kidney disease 1 haploinsufficiencyGrazia Tamma
Department of Biosciences Biotechnologies and Biopharmaceutics, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Am Soc Nephrol 25:2241-53. 2014..AVP), which binds to V2 receptors, resulting in protein kinase A (PKA) activation, phosphorylation of aquaporin 2 (AQP2) at serine 256, and translocation of AQP2 to the plasma membrane...
- Integrin-linked kinase regulates tubular aquaporin-2 content and intracellular location: a link between the extracellular matrix and water reabsorptionJose Luis Cano-Peñalver
Department of Systems Biology, Physiology Unit, Universidad de Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain Instituto Reina Sofia de Investigación Renal and Red de Investigación Renal REDinREN, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
FASEB J 28:3645-59. 2014..scaffold protein integrin-linked kinase (ILK) regulates expression of tubular water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2) and its apical membrane presence in the renal tubule...
- Glutathionylation of the aquaporin-2 water channel: a novel post-translational modification modulated by the oxidative stressGrazia Tamma
From the Department Biosciences Biotechnologies and Biopharmaceutics, University of Bari, 70125 Bari, Italy, the Istituto Nazionale di Biostrutture e Biosistemi, 00136 Roma, Italy, and
J Biol Chem 289:27807-13. 2014Aquaporin-2 (AQP2) is the vasopressin-regulated water channel that controls renal water reabsorption and urine concentration...
- Aliskiren restores renal AQP2 expression during unilateral ureteral obstruction by inhibiting the inflammasomeWeidong Wang
Institute of Hypertension, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 308:F910-22. 2015..In 3UUO and 7UUO mice, aliskiren abolished the reduction of AQP2 protein expression but not AQP1, AQP3, and AQP4...
- Analysis of Kif5b expression during mouse kidney developmentJu Cui
The Key Laboratory of Geriatrics, Beijing Hospital and Beijing Institute of Geriatrics, Ministry of Health, Beijing, China Department of Biochemistry, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
PLoS ONE 10:e0126002. 2015....
- Negative feedback from CaSR signaling to aquaporin-2 sensitizes vasopressin to extracellular Ca2Marianna Ranieri
Dept of Biosciences, Biotechnologies and Biopharmaceutics, University of Bari, Aldo Moro, 70125, Bari, Italy
J Cell Sci 128:2350-60. 2015..that high luminal Ca(2+) in the renal collecting duct attenuates short-term vasopressin-induced aquaporin-2 (AQP2) trafficking through activation of the Ca(2+)-sensing receptor (CaSR)...
- Role of Prox1 in the Transforming Ascending Thin Limb of Henle's Loop during Mouse Kidney DevelopmentYu Mi Kim
Department of Anatomy and Cell Death Disease Research Center, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
PLoS ONE 10:e0127429. 2015..Together, these studies suggest that Prox1 appears to be a critical stage specific regulator of specifying ascending thin limb cell fate and that its expression is regulated by osmolality. ..
- Disruption of prostaglandin E2 receptor EP4 impairs urinary concentration via decreasing aquaporin 2 in renal collecting ductsMin Gao
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100191, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112:8397-402. 2015..Urine concentrating defect was observed in both Ksp-EP4(-/-) and AQP2-EP4(-/-) mice. Decreased aquaporin 2 (AQP2) abundance and apical membrane targeting in renal collecting ducts were evident in Ksp-EP4(-/-) mice...
- Vascular versus tubular renin: role in kidney developmentMaria Luisa S Sequeira-Lopez
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia and
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 309:R650-7. 2015..Further, the main source of circulating renin is the kidney vasculature. ..
- Cdc42 regulates epithelial cell polarity and cytoskeletal function during kidney tubule developmentBertha C Elias
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Cell Sci 128:4293-305. 2015..Thus, we conclude that the principal role of Cdc42 in ureteric bud and metanephric mesenchyme development is to regulate epithelial cell polarity and the actin cytoskeleton...
- Mouse Crumbs3 sustains epithelial tissue morphogenesis in vivoLucie E Charrier
Departement de Biologie Moleculaire, Biochimie Médicale et Pathologie Centre de Recherche sur le Cancer, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Sci Rep 5:17699. 2015....
- Regulation of the Water Channel Aquaporin-2 via 14-3-3θ and -ζHanne B Moeller
From the Department of Biomedicine and Center for Interactions of Proteins in Epithelial Transport, Aarhus University, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
J Biol Chem 291:2469-84. 2016..Here, we determined that 14-3-3 proteins interact with phosphorylated forms of the water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2) and modulate its function...
- Impairment of Wnt11 function leads to kidney tubular abnormalities and secondary glomerular cystogenesisIrina I Nagy
Biocenter Oulu, Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Oulu Center for Cell Matrix Research, University of Oulu, Aapistie 5A, Oulu, 90014, Finland
BMC Dev Biol 16:30. 2016..The presence of Wnt11 in the emerging tubular system suggests that it may have certain roles later in the development of the epithelial ductal system...
- WNK3 kinase is a positive regulator of NKCC2 and NCC, renal cation-Cl- cotransporters required for normal blood pressure homeostasisJesse Rinehart
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16777-82. 2005..The effects of WNK3 on these transporters and their coexpression in renal epithelia implicate WNK3 in NaCl, water, and blood pressure homeostasis, perhaps via signaling downstream of vasopressin...
- Expression of BMP-7 and USAG-1 (a BMP antagonist) in kidney development and injuryM Tanaka
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Kidney Int 73:181-91. 2008..Our study suggests that USAG-1 expression in a kidney biopsy could be useful in predicting outcome...
- Vasopressin-dependent coupling between sodium transport and water flow in a mouse cortical collecting duct cell lineHans Peter Gaeggeler
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Kidney Int 79:843-52. 2011..The mCCD(c11) cell line is a first example of a mammalian tight epithelium allowing quantitative study of the coupling between sodium and water transport. Our data are consistent with the 'near isoosmotic' fluid transport model...
- Renal collecting system growth and function depend upon embryonic γ1 laminin expressionDong Hua Yang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 138:4535-44. 2011....
- The inositol Inpp5k 5-phosphatase affects osmoregulation through the vasopressin-aquaporin 2 pathway in the collecting systemEileen Pernot
Institut de Recherches Interdisciplinaires en Biologie Humaine et Moléculaire, Brussels, Belgium
Pflugers Arch 462:871-83. 2011..Altogether, our results indicate that Inpp5k 5-phosphatase is important for the control of the arginine vasopressin/aquaporin-2 signalling pathway and water transport in kidney collecting ducts...
- ErbB4 modulates tubular cell polarity and lumen diameter during kidney developmentVille Veikkolainen
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:112-22. 2012..Taken together, these data suggest that ErbB4 signaling modulates proliferation and polarization, cellular functions critical for the development of epithelial ducts in the kidney...
- Mechanisms of p53 activation and physiological relevance in the developing kidneyKaram Aboudehen
Department of Pediatrics, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F928-40. 2012..We speculate that the stress/hypoxia of the embryonic microenvironment may provide the stimulus for p53 activation in the developing kidney...
- Different effects of Sec61α, Sec62 and Sec63 depletion on transport of polypeptides into the endoplasmic reticulum of mammalian cellsSven Lang
Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saarland University, Homburg, Germany
J Cell Sci 125:1958-69. 2012..By contrast, silencing the SEC62 gene inhibited only post-translational transport of a signal-peptide-containing precursor protein...
- Effect of Poria cocos on hypertonic stress-induced water channel expression and apoptosis in renal collecting duct cellsSo Min Lee
Department of Oriental Medicine and Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570 749, Republic of Korea Hanbang Body Fluid Research Center, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570 749, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 141:368-76. 2012A major physiological role of the kidney is to regulate body water and urine concentration. Aquaporin-2 (AQP2), a family of water channels, plays an important role in the urinary concentrating process and regulation of water balance in ..
- Aqp2-expressing cells give rise to renal intercalated cellsHongyu Wu
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 24:243-52. 2013..Taking advantage of the distribution of aquaporin 2 (Aqp2), which localizes to principal cells of the collecting duct, we developed mice lacking Dot1l in Aqp2-..
- ENaC is regulated by natriuretic peptide receptor-dependent cGMP signalingLai jing Guo
Department of Physiology, Emory University School of Medicine and the Center for Cell and Molecular Signaling, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 304:F930-7. 2013....
- Aqp5 is a new transcriptional target of Dot1a and a regulator of Aqp2Hongyu Wu
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e53342. 2013Dot1l encodes histone H3 K79 methyltransferase Dot1a. Mice with Dot1l deficiency in renal Aqp2-expressing cells (Dot1l(AC)) develop polyuria by unknown mechanisms. Here, we report that Aqp5 links Dot1l deletion to polyuria through Aqp2...
- Congenital progressive hydronephrosis in mice: a new recessive mutationC E Horton
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
J Urol 140:1310-5. 1988We describe a new autosomal recessive mutation, congenital progressive hydronephrosis (cph), that arose in the C57BL/6J inbred mouse strain...
- Cloning of rat and mouse aquaporin-2 gene promoters and identification of a negative cis-regulatory elementT Rai
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, School of Medicine, Japan
Am J Physiol 273:F264-73. 1997..These results indicate that tissue-specific expression of AQP-2 gene may in part be regulated by this novel negative acting cis-element...
- Aquaporin molecular biology and clinical abnormalities of the water transport channelsN V Knoers
Department of Human Genetics, University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Pediatr 10:428-34. 1998..The discovery of a severe urinary concentrating defect in AQP1-knockout mice was remarkable. Only AQP2, the vasopressin-sensitive water channel in the kidney, which is mutated in autosomal recessive and dominant cases ..
- Role of aquaporin water channels in kidney and lungA S Verkman
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0521, USA
Am J Med Sci 316:310-20. 1998..and lung: AQP1 in lung microvessels and kidney proximal tubule, thin descending limb of Henle, and vasa recta; AQP2 in apical membrane of collecting duct epithelium; AQP3 and AQP4 in basolateral membranes of airway and collecting ..
- Low aquaporin-2 levels in polyuric DI +/+ severe mice with constitutively high cAMP-phosphodiesterase activityJ Frøkiaer
Department of Clinical Physiology, Aarhus University Hospital and Institute of Experimental Clinical Research, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Physiol 276:F179-90. 1999..duct, vasopressin acutely activates cAMP production, resulting in trafficking of aquaporin-2 water channels (AQP2) to the apical plasma membrane, thereby increasing water permeability...
- cDNA and genomic cloning of mouse aquaporin-2: functional analysis of an orthologous mutant causing nephrogenic diabetes insipidusB Yang
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, San Francisco, California, 94143 0521, USA
Genomics 57:79-83. 1999..a transgenic mouse model of nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI), we have analyzed the mouse aquaporin-2 (Aqp2) cDNA and gene and generated a mutated Aqp2 orthologous to NDI-causing human AQP2-T126M...
- Bradykinin B2 null mice are prone to renal dysplasia: gene-environment interactions in kidney developmentS S El-Dahr
Department of Pediatrics, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Physiol Genomics 3:121-31. 2000..The dysplastic tubules are of distal nephron origin [Dolichos biflorus agglutinin (DBA)- and aquaporin-2 (AQP2) positive, and angiotensinogen negative]...
- mRNAs encoding aquaporins are present during murine preimplantation developmentH Offenberg
Department of Clinical Studies, Reproduction, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Mol Reprod Dev 57:323-30. 2000..These findings predict that AQPs may function as conduits for trophectoderm fluid transport during blastocyst formation...
- A phylogenetic framework for the aquaporin family in eukaryotesR Zardoya
Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2, 28006, Madrid, Spain
J Mol Evol 52:391-404. 2001..a yeast paralogue, and Escherichia coli GLP; (2) AQPs, or aquaporins, which include metazoan AQP0, AQP1, AQP2, AQP4, AQP5, and AQP6; (3) PIPs, or plasma membrane intrinsic proteins of plants, which include PIP1 and PIP2; (4) ..
- Expression patterns of aquaporins in the inner ear: evidence for concerted actions of multiple types of aquaporins to facilitate water transport in the cochleaDeliang Huang
Section on Neurobiology, Leslie and Susan Gonda Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, 2100 West Third Street, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Hear Res 165:85-95. 2002....
- Restricted expression of mouse GCMa/Gcm1 in kidney and thymusSaid Hashemolhosseini
Institut fur Biochemie, Universitat Erlangen, Fahrstrasse 17, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Mech Dev 118:175-8. 2002..In thymus, mGCMa is restricted to few small clusters of cells, in kidney to the S3 segment of proximal tubules. mGCMa expression is primarily postnatal, arguing for a role in organ function rather than organ development...
- Expression of aquaporin isoforms during human and mouse tooth developmentS Felszeghy
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Medical and Health Science Centre, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei krt 98, H 4012 Debrecen, Hungary
Arch Oral Biol 49:247-57. 2004..b>AQP2, AQP3 and AQP9 immunoreactivity was not observed in tooth germs, whereas strong AQP4 and AQP5 expression was ..
- A novel gene, Jpk, induces apoptosis in F9 murine teratocarcinoma cell through ROS generationKyoung Ah Kong
Department of Anatomy, Embryology Laboratory, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Sciences, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1010:433-6. 2003A novel gene Jpk (Jopock) has been originally isolated through yeast 1 hybridization technique as a trans-acting factor interacting with the position-specific regulatory element of a murine Hoxa-7...
- Expression of somatostatin in the adult and developing mouse kidneyCarlton M Bates
Center for Human and Molecular Genetics, Children s Research Institute, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Kidney Int 66:1785-93. 2004..Our objective was to determine the expression pattern of SRIF in both the adult and embryonic mouse kidney...
- Cystic renal neoplasia following conditional inactivation of apc in mouse renal tubular epitheliumChao Nan Qian
Laboratories of Cancer Genetics and Cell Signaling and Carcinogenesis, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49508, USA
J Biol Chem 280:3938-45. 2005..Our results confirm an important role for proper regulation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in renal development and provide evidence that dysregulation of the pathway can initiate tumorigenesis in the kidney...
- Posttranscriptional control of aquaporin-2 abundance by vasopressin in renal collecting duct principal cellsUdo Hasler
Service de Nephrologie, Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, 64 Ave de la Roseraie, CH 1211, Geneve 4, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F177-87. 2006Prevailing expression levels of aquaporin-2 (AQP2) mRNA play a major role in regulating AQP2 protein abundance. Here, we investigated whether AQP2 protein abundance is regulated at a posttranscriptional level as well...
- Diabetes insipidus in mice with a mutation in aquaporin-2David J Lloyd
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS Genet 1:e20. 2005..harbor mutations in the vasopressin receptor 2 (Avpr2) gene or the vasopressin-sensitive water channel aquaporin-2 (Aqp2) gene. Development of a treatment is rendered difficult due to the lack of a viable animal model...
- Downregulation of AQP2 expression in the kidney of polydipsic STR/N miceKeiko Tsumura
Department of Molecular Oral Physiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima shi, Tokushima 770 8504, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F478-85. 2006Aquaporin-2 (AQP2) is responsible for the concentration of urine in the kidney collecting tubule under the regulation of vasopressin...
- Defining a link with autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease in mice with congenitally low expression of Pkd1Si Tse Jiang
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
Am J Pathol 168:205-20. 2006..Abnormalities in Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase, aquaporin-2, and vasopressin V2 receptor expression were also identified. This mouse model may be suitable for further studies of progression and therapeutic interventions of ADPKD...
- Kidney claudin-19: localization in distal tubules and collecting ducts and dysregulation in polycystic renal diseaseNikki P Y Lee
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, SAR, China
FEBS Lett 580:923-31. 2006..Taken together, claudin-19 is a claudin isoform that is highly and specifically expressed in renal tubules with a putative role in TJ homeostasis in renal physiology...
- Postnatal expression of KLF12 in the inner medullary collecting ducts of kidney and its trans-activation of UT-A1 urea transporter promoterShin Suda
Department of Nephrology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:246-52. 2006..By comparing the AQP2 immunolocalization in sequential sections, KLF12 was found to be expressed in the collecting ducts...
- Congenital progressive hydronephrosis (cph) is caused by an S256L mutation in aquaporin-2 that affects its phosphorylation and apical membrane accumulationBradley W McDill
Renal Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6952-7. 2006..Here, we describe the identification of a single base pair change in aquaporin-2 (Aqp2) in cph mutants through genetic linkage mapping...
- Pathogenesis and treatment of autosomal-dominant nephrogenic diabetes insipidus caused by an aquaporin 2 mutationEisei Sohara
Department of Nephrology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:14217-22. 2006Frame-shift mutations within the C terminus of aquaporin 2 (AQP2) cause autosomal-dominant nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (AD-NDI)...
- Dynamics of aquaporin-2 serine-261 phosphorylation in response to short-term vasopressin treatment in collecting ductJason D Hoffert
Laboratory of Kidney and Electrolyte Metabolism, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1603, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F691-700. 2007..site, serine-261 (pS261), in the COOH-terminus of the vasopressin-regulated water channel, aquaporin-2 (AQP2)...
- Grainyhead-related transcription factor is required for duct maturation in the salivary gland and the kidney of the mouseYoshifumi Yamaguchi
Okazaki Institute for Integrative Biosciences, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, 444 8787, Japan
Development 133:4737-48. 2006..Furthermore, the composition of saliva and urine was abnormal in these mice. These results indicate that Cp2l1 expression is required for normal duct development in both the salivary gland and kidney...
- Expression of TM4SF10, a Claudin/EMP/PMP22 family cell junction protein, during mouse kidney development and podocyte differentiationLeslie A Bruggeman
Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
Dev Dyn 236:596-605. 2007..TM4SF10 may define a new class of Claudin-like proteins that function during junctional development...
- Glomerulocystic kidney disease in mice with a targeted inactivation of Wwtr1Zakir Hossain
Epithelial Cell Biology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Republic of Singapore 138673
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1631-6. 2007..Thus, Wwtr1 is critical for the integrity of renal cilia and its absence in mice leads to the development of renal cysts, indicating that Wwtr1 may represent a candidate gene for polycystic kidney disease in humans...
- Mouse models for congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus: what can we learn from them?Peter M T Deen
Department of Physiology, Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University, 6500, HB, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1023-6. 2007
- Pax transactivation-domain interacting protein is required for urine concentration and osmotolerance in collecting duct epitheliaDoyeob Kim
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:1458-65. 2007..Furthermore, aquaporin-2 (AQP2) expression in the inner medulla of the ptip knockout mice was decreased approximately 10-fold compared with that ..
- Failure of epithelial tube maintenance causes hydrocephalus and renal cysts in Dlg5-/- miceTamilla Nechiporuk
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Dev Cell 13:338-50. 2007..These findings show that Dlg5 is causally involved in hydrocephalus and renal cysts and reveal that targeted membrane delivery of cadherin-catenin adhesion complexes is critical for cell polarity and epithelial tube maintenance...
- Origin and fate of pendrin-positive intercalated cells in developing mouse kidneyHyun Kuk Song
Department of Anatomy and Death Disease Research Center, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2672-82. 2007....
- Calcium-sensing receptor attenuates AVP-induced aquaporin-2 expression via a calmodulin-dependent mechanismMauro Bustamante
Service of Nephrology, Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, 64 Ave de la Roseraie, CH 1211 Geneve 4, Switzerland
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:109-16. 2008....
- Multiple renal cysts, urinary concentration defects, and pulmonary emphysematous changes in mice lacking TAZRyosuke Makita
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F542-53. 2008..Thus TAZ is essential for developmental mechanisms involved in kidney and lung organogenesis, whose disturbance may lead to the pathogenesis of common human diseases...
- Loss of Fat4 disrupts PCP signaling and oriented cell division and leads to cystic kidney diseaseSakura Saburi
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto M5G 1X5, Canada
Nat Genet 40:1010-5. 2008..In addition, Fat4 represses Fjx1 expression, indicating that Fat signaling is conserved. Together, these data suggest that Fat4 regulates vertebrate PCP and that loss of PCP signaling may underlie some cystic diseases in humans...
- Use of dual section mRNA in situ hybridisation/immunohistochemistry to clarify gene expression patterns during the early stages of nephron development in the embryo and in the mature nephron of the adult mouse kidneyKylie Georgas
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD, 4072, Australia
Histochem Cell Biol 130:927-42. 2008..We have analysed in detail the protein expression of Wt1, Calb1 Aqp1, Aqp2 and Umod using these antibodies...
- Hsp90 inhibitor partially corrects nephrogenic diabetes insipidus in a conditional knock-in mouse model of aquaporin-2 mutationBaoxue Yang
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0521, USA
FASEB J 23:503-12. 2009Mutations in aquaporin-2 (AQP2) that interfere with its cellular processing can produce autosomal recessive nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI)...
- Systems-level analysis of cell-specific AQP2 gene expression in renal collecting ductMing Jiun Yu
Laboratory of Kidney and Electrolyte Metabolism, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:2441-6. 2009..biology-based approach to investigate the basis of cell-specific expression of the water channel aquaporin-2 (AQP2) in the renal collecting duct...
- Aquaporin-2 abundance in the renal collecting duct: new insights from cultured cell modelsUdo Hasler
Service de Nephrologie, Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F10-8. 2009..hormone arginine vasopressin (AVP) increases collecting duct water permeability by enhancing aquaporin-2 (AQP2) water channel insertion in the apical membrane of principal cells, allowing water to passively flow along the ..
- LIP5 interacts with aquaporin 2 and facilitates its lysosomal degradationBas W M van Balkom
Department of Physiology, Nijmegen Center of Molecular Sciences, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:990-1001. 2009..binding to the V2 receptor in renal principal cells leads to activation of protein kinase A, phosphorylation of aquaporin 2 (AQP2) at Ser256, and the translocation of AQP2 to the apical membrane, resulting in concentration of the urine...
- Expression patterns of the aquaporin gene family during renal development: influence of genetic variabilityKleber S Parreira
Division of Nephrology, Université Catholique de Louvain Medical School, 10 Avenue Hippocrate, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Pflugers Arch 458:745-59. 2009..Furthermore, adult CD-1 kidneys expressed more AQP2 in the collecting ducts, which was reflected by a significant delay in excreting a water load...
- Nucleotides downregulate aquaporin 2 via activation of apical P2 receptorsScott S P Wildman
Urinary System Physiology Unit, Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, Camden Campus, Royal College Street, London NW1 0TU, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1480-90. 2009..Basolateral exposure to dDAVP induced AQP2 localization to the apical membrane, but co-treatment with ATP internalized AQP2...
- Inhibition of NF-kappaB ameliorates sepsis-induced downregulation of aquaporin-2/V2 receptor expression and acute renal failure in vivoKlaus Hocherl
Institut fur Physiologie, Universitat Regensburg, Universitätsstr 31, D 93040 Regensburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F196-204. 2010..CLP caused a time-dependent downregulation of renal vasopressin V(2) receptor and of AQP2 expression without alterations in plasma vasopressin levels...
- A role for VAMP8/endobrevin in surface deployment of the water channel aquaporin 2Cheng Chun Wang
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Dr, Singapore 138673, Singapore
Mol Cell Biol 30:333-43. 2010..Furthermore, the level of the vasopressin-responsive water channel aquaporin 2 (AQP2) was increased by three- to fivefold in VAMP8-null mice...
- The role of renal aquaporin 2 in the alleviation of dehydration associated with diabetic polyuria in KKAy miceMasako Satake
Department of Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Hoshi University, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8501, Japan
Life Sci 87:475-80. 2010..In the present study, the role of renal aquaporin 2 (AQP2) in the compensating mechanism was investigated in KKAy mice, a type 2 diabetes model.
- The transcription factor grainyhead-like 2 regulates the molecular composition of the epithelial apical junctional complexMax Werth
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Development 137:3835-45. 2010..Together, our data provide evidence that Grhl2 acts as a target gene-associated transcriptional activator of apical junctional complex components and, thereby, crucially participates in epithelial differentiation...
- Molecular mechanisms of angiotensin II stimulation on aquaporin-2 expression and traffickingChunling Li
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:F1255-61. 2011..collecting duct principal cells (mpkCCD(cl4)) cell line, we treated cells with ANG II and examined aquaporin-2 (AQP2) protein expression, trafficking, and mRNA levels, by immunoblotting, immunofluorescence, and RT-PCR...
- Membrane-type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) modulates water homeostasis in miceManakan B Srichai
Department of Medicine, Veterans Administration Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17099. 2011..Thus, our results show that although MT4-MMP is expressed in the kidney, this metalloproteinase does not play a major role in renal development or function; however it does appear to modify the neural stimuli that modulate thirst...
- Independent roles of Fgfr2 and Frs2alpha in ureteric epitheliumSunder Sims-Lucas
Rangos Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA 15201, USA
Development 138:1275-80. 2011..Taken together, although Fgfr2 and Frs2α have crucial roles in the ureteric lineage, they appear to act separately and additively...
- Secreted Wnt antagonist Dickkopf-1 controls kidney papilla development coordinated by Wnt-7b signallingIlkka Pietilä
Oulu Center for Cell Matrix Research, Biocenter Oulu, Laboratory of Developmental Biology and Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Dev Biol 353:50-60. 2011..Based on the results, we propose that Dkk1 controls the degree of Wnt-7b signalling in the papilla to coordinate kidney organogenesis...
- Emerging role of Akt substrate protein AS160 in the regulation of AQP2 translocationHyo Young Kim
Dept of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Dongin dong 101, Taegu 700 422, South Korea
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F151-61. 2011..The present study examined the role of Akt and AS160 in aquaporin-2 (AQP2) trafficking...
- p120 catenin is required for normal renal tubulogenesis and glomerulogenesisDENISE K MARCIANO
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Development 138:2099-109. 2011..Taken together, our data show that p120ctn is required for early tubule and glomerular morphogenesis, as well as control of luminal diameter, probably through regulation of cadherins...
- Expression of mRNAs of the aquaporin family in mouse oocytes and embryosK Edashige
Laboratory of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Kochi University, Nankoku, Kochi, 783 8502, Japan
Cryobiology 40:171-5. 2000..These aquaporins may play a role in water transport and conceivably also in cryoprotectant transport across the plasma membrane in these cells...
- Long term regulation of aquaporin-2 expression in vasopressin-responsive renal collecting duct principal cellsUdo Hasler
Division of Nephrology, Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, 64 Avenue de la Roseraie, CH 1211, Geneve 4, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 277:10379-86. 2002..AVP) occurs in principal cells of the collecting duct and is largely dependent on regulation of the aquaporin-2 (AQP2) water channel...
- Upregulation of urea transporter UT-A2 and water channels AQP2 and AQP3 in mice lacking urea transporter UT-BJanet D Klein
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1161-7. 2004..reverse transcription-PCR and Northern blot analysis showed upregulation of the UT-A2 urea transporter and the aquaporin 2 (AQP2) and AQP3 water channel transcripts but no change in other urea transporters or AQP...
- Tonicity-responsive enhancer binding protein is an essential regulator of aquaporin-2 expression in renal collecting duct principal cellsUdo Hasler
Service de Nephrologie, Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, 64 Avenue de la Roseraie, GE 1211, Geneve 4, Switzerland, and Department of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1521-31. 2006..reported previously that hypertonicity exerted a dual, time-dependent effect on vasopressin-inducible aquaporin-2 (AQP2) expression in immortalized mouse collecting duct principal cells (mpkCCDcl4)...
- Pathogenic Mechanism of Polycystic Kidney DiseaseYumay Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies will provide novel insight into the molecular pathogenesis of PKD. They will help explain why cysts progress at different rates and how therapies to slow the progression of PKD can be designed rationally. ..
- INSULIN RECEPTOR RELATED AND THE KIDNEYCarlton Bates; Fiscal Year: 2002..After being subjected to systemic alkalosis, IRR-null mouse kidneys will be examined to determine if the intercalated cells have appropriately altered their morphology and intracellular distribution of proton transporters. ..
- Urea Transport Physiology Studies in Knockout MiceBaoxue Yang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Also, the new information may provide a rational basis for discovery of UT inhibitors as unique diuretic agents. ..