Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Aif1
Description: allograft inflammatory factor 1
Alias: AI607846, AIF-1, D17H6S50E, Iba1, allograft inflammatory factor 1, ionized calcium binding adapter molecule 1, testis specific
- Tsuji D, Kuroki A, Ishibashi Y, Itakura T, Kuwahara J, Yamanaka S, et al. Specific induction of macrophage inflammatory protein 1-alpha in glial cells of Sandhoff disease model mice associated with accumulation of N-acetylhexosaminyl glycoconjugates. J Neurochem. 2005;92:1497-507 pubmed..revealed that MIP-1alpha-immunoreactivity (IR) in the above-mentioned brain regions of SD mice was co-localized in Iba1-IR-positive microglial cells and partly in glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP)-IR-positive astrocytes, in which ..
- Xia D, Watanabe H, Wu B, Lee S, Li Y, Tsvetkov E, et al. Presenilin-1 knockin mice reveal loss-of-function mechanism for familial Alzheimer's disease. Neuron. 2015;85:967-81 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings reveal that FAD mutations can cause complete loss of Presenilin-1 function inÂ vivo, suggesting that clinical PSEN mutations produce FAD through a loss-of-function mechanism. ..
- Lai Y, Li M, Yang C, Huang K, Tsai J, Wang T. TRIP6 regulates neural stem cell maintenance in the postnatal mammalian subventricular zone. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1130-42 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that TRIP6 regulates NSC maintenance and it may be a new marker for NSCs. ..
- Ziehn M, Avedisian A, Dervin S, O Dell T, Voskuhl R. Estriol preserves synaptic transmission in the hippocampus during autoimmune demyelinating disease. Lab Invest. 2012;92:1234-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a treatment was identified that prevented both deficits in synaptic function and hippocampal neuropathology. ..
- Joyce P, Fratta P, Landman A, McGoldrick P, Wackerhage H, Groves M, et al. Deficiency of the zinc finger protein ZFP106 causes motor and sensory neurodegeneration. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:291-307 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight a vital role for ZFP106 in sensory and motor neuron maintenance and reveal a novel player in mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration. ..
- Lloyd Burton S, Roskams A. SPARC-like 1 (SC1) is a diversely expressed and developmentally regulated matricellular protein that does not compensate for the absence of SPARC in the CNS. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:2575-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SC1 and SPARC may share significant homology, but are likely to have distinct but complementary roles in nervous system development. ..
- Xing L, Larsen R, Bjorklund G, Li X, Wu Y, Philpot B, et al. Layer specific and general requirements for ERK/MAPK signaling in the developing neocortex. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate selective requirements for ERK/MAPK signaling in layer 5 circuit development and general effects on cortical pyramidal neuron excitability. ..
- Kassai H, Sugaya Y, Noda S, Nakao K, Maeda T, Kano M, et al. Selective activation of mTORC1 signaling recapitulates microcephaly, tuberous sclerosis, and neurodegenerative diseases. Cell Rep. 2014;7:1626-1639 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that mTORC1 plays different roles in developmental and adult stages and contributes to human neurological diseases. ..
- Ohsawa K, Imai Y, Kanazawa H, Sasaki Y, Kohsaka S. Involvement of Iba1 in membrane ruffling and phagocytosis of macrophages/microglia. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 17):3073-84 pubmedIonized calcium binding adaptor molecule 1, Iba1, is an EF hand calcium binding protein whose expression is restricted to macrophages/microglia...
- Muller W, Krasko A, Skorokhod A, Bünz C, Grebenjuk V, Steffen R, et al. Histocompatibility reaction in tissue and cells of the marine sponge Suberites domuncula in vitro and in vivo: central role of the allograft inflammatory factor 1. Immunogenetics. 2002;54:48-58 pubmed
- Chen Q, Guan F, Yan D, Lei D, Fu L, Xia H, et al. The dynamic expression of allograft inflammatory factor-1 in hepatic tissues and splenic cells of BALB/c mice with Schistosoma japonicum infection. Tissue Antigens. 2012;79:33-41 pubmed publisher..japonicum, and the interaction between AIF-1 and TNF-? or other cytokines played an important role in the pathogenesis and progression of hepatic schistosomiasis...
- Wei P, Smeyne R, Bao D, Parris J, Morgan J. Mapping of Cbln1-like immunoreactivity in adult and developing mouse brain and its localization to the endolysosomal compartment of neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:2962-78 pubmed..As cbln3 is only expressed in post-mitotic, post-migratory granule cells, Cbln1 homomeric complexes in precursors and Cbln1-Cbln3 heteromeric complexes in mature granule cells may have distinct functions and turnover. ..
- Anderson D, Cannavino J, Li H, Anderson K, Nelson B, McAnally J, et al. Severe muscle wasting and denervation in mice lacking the RNA-binding protein ZFP106. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E4494-503 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a central role for Zfp106 in the maintenance of nerve-muscle signaling, and highlight the involvement of aberrant RNA processing in neuromuscular disease pathogenesis. ..
- Cho S, Kim J, Simons D, Song J, Le J, Swindell E, et al. Genetic ablation of Pals1 in retinal progenitor cells models the retinal pathology of Leber congenital amaurosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:2663-76 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover the indispensible role of Pals1 in retinal development, likely involving the maintenance of retinal polarity and survival of retinal neurons, thus providing the basis for the pathologic mechanisms of LCA8. ..
- Ramesh V, Bayam E, Cernilogar F, Bonapace I, Schulze M, Riemenschneider M, et al. Loss of Uhrf1 in neural stem cells leads to activation of retroviral elements and delayed neurodegeneration. Genes Dev. 2016;30:2199-2212 pubmed..Moreover, they highlight how specific the consequences of widespread changes in DNA methylation are for certain classes of retroviral elements. ..
- Mikkelsen H, Huizinga J, Larsen J, Kirkeby S. Ionized calcium-binding adaptor molecule 1 positive macrophages and HO-1 up-regulation in intestinal muscularis resident macrophages. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2017;300:1114-1122 pubmed publisher..Whole mounts were stained with antibodies toward CD169, ionized calcium-binding adaptor molecule 1 (iba1) (microglial/macrophage marker) and heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1). Cell densities were measured using unbiased stereology...
- Callahan D, Taylor W, Tilearcio M, Cavanaugh T, Selkoe D, Young Pearse T. Embryonic mosaic deletion of APP results in displaced Reelin-expressing cells in the cerebral cortex. Dev Biol. 2017;424:138-146 pubmed publisher..This new tool should be useful for many different applications in the study of APP function across the mammalian life span. ..
- Ohsawa K, Imai Y, Sasaki Y, Kohsaka S. Microglia/macrophage-specific protein Iba1 binds to fimbrin and enhances its actin-bundling activity. J Neurochem. 2004;88:844-56 pubmedIonized calcium binding adaptor molecule 1 (Iba1) is a microglia/macrophage-specific calcium-binding protein. Iba1 has the actin-bundling activity and participates in membrane ruffling and phagocytosis in activated microglia...
- Chen X, Rivard L, Naqvi S, Nakada S, Padbury J, Sanchez Esteban J, et al. Expression and localization of Inter-alpha Inhibitors in rodent brain. Neuroscience. 2016;324:69-81 pubmed publisher..We speculate that endogenous IAIPs may represent endogenous neuroprotective immunomodulatory proteins within the CNS. ..
- Voronova A, Yuzwa S, Wang B, Zahr S, Syal C, Wang J, et al. Migrating Interneurons Secrete Fractalkine to Promote Oligodendrocyte Formation in the Developing Mammalian Brain. Neuron. 2017;94:500-516.e9 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their role in regulating neuronal excitability, interneurons act in a paracrine fashion to promote the developmental genesis of oligodendrocytes. ..
- Tian Y, Kelemen S, Autieri M. Inhibition of AIF-1 expression by constitutive siRNA expression reduces macrophage migration, proliferation, and signal transduction initiated by atherogenic stimuli. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;290:C1083-91 pubmed..05). These data indicate that AIF-1 mediates atherogenesis-initiated signaling and activation of macrophages. ..
- Casimiro I, Chinnasamy P, Sibinga N. Genetic inactivation of the allograft inflammatory factor-1 locus. Genesis. 2013;51:734-40 pubmed publisher..Largely similar gene products arising from the same locus are known as ionized Ca(2+) binding adapter-1 (Iba1), microglial response factor-1 (MRF1), and daintain; Iba1 in particular has emerged as a histologic marker of ..
- Mukherjee C, Holubowska A, Schwedhelm Domeyer N, Mitkovski M, Lee S, Kannan M, et al. Loss of the neuron-specific F-box protein FBXO41 models an ataxia-like phenotype in mice with neuronal migration defects and degeneration in the cerebellum. J Neurosci. 2015;35:8701-17 pubmed publisher..We show that FBXO41 is a critical factor, not only for neuronal migration in the cerebellum, but also for its long-term integrity. ..
- Nandi S, Gokhan S, Dai X, Wei S, Enikolopov G, Lin H, et al. The CSF-1 receptor ligands IL-34 and CSF-1 exhibit distinct developmental brain expression patterns and regulate neural progenitor cell maintenance and maturation. Dev Biol. 2012;367:100-13 pubmed publisher..Thus our results also indicate novel roles for the CSF-1R in the regulation of corticogenesis. ..
- Ishii T, Mitsui T, Suzuki S, Matsuzaki Y, Hasegawa T. A genome-wide expression profile of adrenocortical cells in knockout mice lacking steroidogenic acute regulatory protein. Endocrinology. 2012;153:2714-23 pubmed publisher..Immunoreactive Iba1 or F4/80 (macrophage marker) in adrenal glands of Star(-/-) mice was detected not only in an increased number of ..
- Sommerville L, Kelemen S, Ellison S, England R, Autieri M. Increased atherosclerosis and vascular smooth muscle cell activation in AIF-1 transgenic mice fed a high-fat diet. Atherosclerosis. 2012;220:45-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest a strong association between AIF-1 expression, NF-?B activation, and development of experimental atherosclerosis. ..
- Rogers S, Gahring L. Nicotinic receptor Alpha7 expression during tooth morphogenesis reveals functional pleiotropy. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36467 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate distinct and varied spatiotemporal expression of alpha7 during tooth development, and they suggest that dysfunction of this receptor would have diverse impacts upon the adult organ. ..
- Yamamoto A, Ashihara E, Nakagawa Y, Obayashi H, Ohta M, Hara H, et al. Allograft inflammatory factor-1 is overexpressed and induces fibroblast chemotaxis in the skin of sclerodermatous GVHD in a murine model. Immunol Lett. 2011;135:144-50 pubmed publisher..AIF-1 may accordingly provide an attractive new target for antifibrotic therapy in SSc as well as Scl GVHD. ..
- Hashimoto H, Ishino Y, Jiang W, Yoshimura T, Takeda Uchimura Y, Uchimura K, et al. Keratan Sulfate Regulates the Switch from Motor Neuron to Oligodendrocyte Generation During Development of the Mouse Spinal Cord. Neurochem Res. 2016;41:450-62 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that KS is important for the late phase Shh signaling and contributes to motor neuron to OPC generation switch. ..
- Vincent A, Lau P, Roskams A. SPARC is expressed by macroglia and microglia in the developing and mature nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1449-62 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that SPARC may be expressed by glia in a spatiotemporal manner consistent with a role in cell migration, neurogenesis, synaptic plasticity, and angiogenesis. ..
- Yamada M, Ohsawa K, Imai Y, Kohsaka S, Kamitori S. X-ray structures of the microglia/macrophage-specific protein Iba1 from human and mouse demonstrate novel molecular conformation change induced by calcium binding. J Mol Biol. 2006;364:449-57 pubmedThe ionized calcium-binding adaptor molecule 1 (Iba1) with 147 amino acid residues has been identified as a calcium-binding protein, expressed specifically in microglia/macrophages, and is expected to be a key factor in membrane ruffling, ..
- Kohler C. Allograft inflammatory factor-1/Ionized calcium-binding adapter molecule 1 is specifically expressed by most subpopulations of macrophages and spermatids in testis. Cell Tissue Res. 2007;330:291-302 pubmedIonized calcium-binding adapter molecule 1 (Iba1) is a 147-amino-acid calcium-binding protein widely in use as a marker for microglia...
- Kanu N, Penicud K, Hristova M, Wong B, Irvine E, Plattner F, et al. The ATM cofactor ATMIN protects against oxidative stress and accumulation of DNA damage in the aging brain. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:38534-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ATMIN mediates ATM activation by oxidative stress, and thereby ATMIN protects the aging brain by preventing accumulation of DNA damage. ..
- Kierdorf K, Erny D, Goldmann T, Sander V, Schulz C, Perdiguero E, et al. Microglia emerge from erythromyeloid precursors via Pu.1- and Irf8-dependent pathways. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:273-80 pubmed publisher..Our data provide cellular and molecular insights into the origin and development of microglia. ..
- Mizutani M, Pino P, Saederup N, Charo I, Ransohoff R, Cardona A. The fractalkine receptor but not CCR2 is present on microglia from embryonic development throughout adulthood. J Immunol. 2012;188:29-36 pubmed publisher..0-E10.5) in development and during inflammatory conditions, which have been challenging to visualize in mammalian tissues. ..
- Nagahara H, Yamamoto A, Seno T, Obayashi H, Kida T, Nakabayashi A, et al. Allograft inflammatory factor-1 in the pathogenesis of bleomycin-induced acute lung injury. Biosci Trends. 2016;10:47-53 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AIF-1 plays an important role in the mechanism underlying acute lung injury. ..
- Yoshikawa F, Banno Y, Otani Y, Yamaguchi Y, Nagakura Takagi Y, Morita N, et al. Phospholipase D family member 4, a transmembrane glycoprotein with no phospholipase D activity, expression in spleen and early postnatal microglia. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13932 pubmed publisher..These PLD4 mRNA-expressing cells were identified as Iba1-positive microglia...
- Zhang A, Desmazieres A, Zonta B, Melrose S, Campbell G, Mahad D, et al. Neurofascin 140 is an embryonic neuronal neurofascin isoform that promotes the assembly of the node of Ranvier. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2246-54 pubmed publisher..This expands the critical role of the Nfasc gene in the function of myelinated axons and reveals further redundancy in the mechanisms required for the formation of this crucial structure in the vertebrate nervous system. ..
- Wetzel M, Naska S, Laliberté C, Rymar V, Fujitani M, Biernaskie J, et al. p73 regulates neurodegeneration and phospho-tau accumulation during aging and Alzheimer's disease. Neuron. 2008;59:708-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, p73 is essential for preventing neurodegeneration, and haploinsufficiency for p73 may be a susceptibility factor for AD and other neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Fröb F, Bremer M, Finzsch M, Kichko T, Reeh P, Tamm E, et al. Establishment of myelinating Schwann cells and barrier integrity between central and peripheral nervous systems depend on Sox10. Glia. 2012;60:806-19 pubmed publisher..We infer that in addition to its many roles in Schwann cells, Sox10 is also important for the integrity of the boundary between central and peripheral nervous systems. ..
- Watano K, Iwabuchi K, Fujii S, Ishimori N, Mitsuhashi S, Ato M, et al. Allograft inflammatory factor-1 augments production of interleukin-6, -10 and -12 by a mouse macrophage line. Immunology. 2001;104:307-16 pubmed..These results suggest that AIF-1 plays an important role in cells of a monocyte/macrophage lineage upon stimulation with inflammatory stimuli by augmenting particular cytokine production. ..
- Schulz C, Gomez Perdiguero E, Chorro L, Szabo Rogers H, Cagnard N, Kierdorf K, et al. A lineage of myeloid cells independent of Myb and hematopoietic stem cells. Science. 2012;336:86-90 pubmed publisher..These results define a lineage of tissue macrophages that derive from the YS and are genetically distinct from HSC progeny. ..
- Nagahara H, Seno T, Yamamoto A, Obayashi H, Inoue T, Kida T, et al. Role of allograft inflammatory factor-1 in bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;495:1901-1907 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AIF-1 plays an important role in the mechanism underlying lung fibrosis, and may provide an attractive new therapeutic target. ..
- Luo S, Timbang L, Kim J, Shang Y, Sandoval K, Tang A, et al. TGF-? Signaling in Dopaminergic Neurons Regulates Dendritic Growth, Excitatory-Inhibitory Synaptic Balance, and Reversal Learning. Cell Rep. 2016;17:3233-3245 pubmed publisher..These results support a role for TGF-? in regulating the delicate balance of excitatory/inhibitory synaptic input in local microcircuits involving DA and GABAergic neurons and its potential contributions to neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Karaca E, Weitzer S, Pehlivan D, Shiraishi H, Gogakos T, Hanada T, et al. Human CLP1 mutations alter tRNA biogenesis, affecting both peripheral and central nervous system function. Cell. 2014;157:636-50 pubmed publisher..Reduction of a founder mutation to homozygosity illustrates the importance of rare variations in disease and supports the clan genomics hypothesis. ..
- Rigato C, Swinnen N, Buckinx R, Couillin I, Mangin J, Rigo J, et al. Microglia proliferation is controlled by P2X7 receptors in a Pannexin-1-independent manner during early embryonic spinal cord invasion. J Neurosci. 2012;32:11559-73 pubmed..These results reveal a developmental role of P2X7R by controlling embryonic SC microglia proliferation at a critical developmental state in the SC of mouse embryos. ..
- Degen J, Dublin P, Zhang J, Dobrowolski R, Jokwitz M, Karram K, et al. Dual reporter approaches for identification of Cre efficacy and astrocyte heterogeneity. FASEB J. 2012;26:4576-83 pubmed publisher..Analysis of a newly generated Cx43 knock-in ECFP mouse revealed an unexpected heterogeneity of Cx43-expressing astrocytes across brain areas. ..
- Del Galdo F, Maul G, Jimenez S, Artlett C. Expression of allograft inflammatory factor 1 in tissues from patients with systemic sclerosis and in vitro differential expression of its isoforms in response to transforming growth factor beta. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2616-25 pubmedb>Allograft inflammatory factor 1 (AIF-1), a protein initially identified in chronically rejected rat cardiac allografts, is involved in the immune response and proliferative vasculopathy that occurs during allograft rejection...
- Handel Fernandez M, Kurimoto I, Streilein J, Vincek V. Genetic mapping and physical cloning of UVB susceptibility region in mice. J Invest Dermatol. 1999;113:224-9 pubmed..We have defined the genetic locus responsible for ultraviolet B susceptibility and resistance in mice within the Bat5 and H-2D segment of the mouse chromosome 17. ..
- Petkau T, Neal S, Orban P, MacDonald J, Hill A, Lu G, et al. Progranulin expression in the developing and adult murine brain. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:3931-47 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that progranulin plays distinct roles in neurons and microglia, both of which likely contribute to overall neuronal health and function. ..
- Huysentruyt L, Mukherjee P, Banerjee D, Shelton L, Seyfried T. Metastatic cancer cells with macrophage properties: evidence from a new murine tumor model. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:73-84 pubmed publisher..adhesion, phagocytosis, total lipid composition (glycosphingolipids and phospholipids) and gene expression (CD11b, Iba1, F4/80, CD68, CD45 and CXCR4)...
- Shimada S, Iwabuchi K, Watano K, Shimizu H, Yamada H, Minakami H, et al. Expression of allograft inflammatory factor-1 in mouse uterus and poly(I:C)-induced fetal resorption. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2003;50:104-12 pubmed..The augmented expression of AIF-I with concomitant expressions of TNF-alpha and NOS2 mRNA in poly(I:C)-injected mice suggests a correlation between AIF-1 production and fetal resorption. ..
- Roumier A, Béchade C, Poncer J, Smalla K, Tomasello E, Vivier E, et al. Impaired synaptic function in the microglial KARAP/DAP12-deficient mouse. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11421-8 pubmed..KARAP/DAP12 may thus alter microglial physiology and subsequently synaptic function and plasticity through a novel microglia-neuron interaction. ..
- Enokido Y, Suzuki E, Iwasawa K, Namekata K, Okazawa H, Kimura H. Cystathionine beta-synthase, a key enzyme for homocysteine metabolism, is preferentially expressed in the radial glia/astrocyte lineage of developing mouse CNS. FASEB J. 2005;19:1854-6 pubmed
- Deininger M, Meyermann R, Schluesener H. The allograft inflammatory factor-1 family of proteins. FEBS Lett. 2002;514:115-21 pubmed..Three proteins are probably identical with AIF-1 termed Iba1 (ionized Ca(2+)-binding adapter), MRF-1 (microglia response factor) and daintain...
- Sommerville L, Kelemen S, Autieri M. Increased smooth muscle cell activation and neointima formation in response to injury in AIF-1 transgenic mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:47-53 pubmed..05). These data indicate that AIF-1 expression results in increased signal transduction, neointimal formation, and VSMC proliferation in injured mouse carotid arteries. ..
- ArnÃ² B, Grassivaro F, Rossi C, Bergamaschi A, Castiglioni V, Furlan R, et al. Neural progenitor cells orchestrate microglia migration and positioning into the developing cortex. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5611 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the depletion of microglia in mice lacking receptor for colony-stimulating factor-1 (Csf-1R) reduces BPs into the cerebral cortex. ..
- Issa L, Kraemer N, Rickert C, Sifringer M, Ninnemann O, Stoltenburg Didinger G, et al. CDK5RAP2 expression during murine and human brain development correlates with pathology in primary autosomal recessive microcephaly. Cereb Cortex. 2013;23:2245-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings in human tissue confirm those in mouse tissues, underlining the function of CDK5RAP2 in cell proliferation and arguing for a conserved role of this protein in the development of the mammalian cerebral cortex. ..
- Zhao Y, Huang X, Chen Z. Daintain/AIF-1 (Allograft Inflammatory Factor-1) accelerates type 1 diabetes in NOD mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;427:513-7 pubmed publisher..These results imply daintain/AIF-1 triggers type 1 diabetes probably via arousing immune cells activation and induction of NO production in pancreas of NOD mice. ..
- Lund T, Shaikh S, Kendall E, Campbell R, Hattori M, Makino S, et al. RFLP analysis of the MHC class III region defines unique haplotypes for the non-obese diabetic, cataract Shionogi and the non-obese non-diabetic mouse strains. Diabetologia. 1993;36:727-33 pubmed..The RFLPs demonstrate that NOD, NON and CTS mouse strains each have a distinct MHC haplotype in the MHC class III region. ..
- Mishima T, Iwabuchi K, Fujii S, Tanaka S, Ogura H, Watano Miyata K, et al. Allograft inflammatory factor-1 augments macrophage phagocytotic activity and accelerates the progression of atherosclerosis in ApoE-/- mice. Int J Mol Med. 2008;21:181-7 pubmed..These results suggest that enhanced AIF-1 expression leads to augmented incorporation of degenerated LDL by macrophages and promotes development of atherosclerotic vasculopathy. ..
- Potzner M, Griffel C, Lütjen Drecoll E, Bösl M, Wegner M, Sock E. Prolonged Sox4 expression in oligodendrocytes interferes with normal myelination in the central nervous system. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5316-26 pubmed
- Erblich B, Zhu L, Etgen A, Dobrenis K, Pollard J. Absence of colony stimulation factor-1 receptor results in loss of microglia, disrupted brain development and olfactory deficits. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26317 pubmed publisher..CSF-1R is therefore required for the development of microglia, for a fully functional olfactory system and the maintenance of normal brain structure. ..
- Zhao X, Chen Y, Zhu Q, Huang H, Teng P, Zheng K, et al. Control of astrocyte progenitor specification, migration and maturation by Nkx6.1 homeodomain transcription factor. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e109171 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies indicate that Nkx6.1 plays a vital role in astrocyte specification and differentiation in the ventral spinal cord. ..