Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Adora1
Description: adenosine A1 receptor
Alias: A1-AR, A1AR, A1R, AA1R, AI848715, BB176431, adenosine receptor A1
- Huang Z, Qu W, Eguchi N, Chen J, Schwarzschild M, Fredholm B, et al. Adenosine A2A, but not A1, receptors mediate the arousal effect of caffeine. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:858-9 pubmed..Thus, caffeine-induced wakefulness depends on adenosine A2A receptors. ..
- Yang J, Björklund O, Lindström Törnqvist K, Lindgren E, Eriksson T, Kahlström J, et al. Mice heterozygous for both A1 and A(2A) adenosine receptor genes show similarities to mice given long-term caffeine. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:631-9 pubmed publisher..Thus at least some aspects of long-term caffeine use can be mimicked by genetic manipulation of the A(1)R and A(2A)R. ..
- Castrop H, Huang Y, Hashimoto S, Mizel D, Hansen P, Theilig F, et al. Impairment of tubuloglomerular feedback regulation of GFR in ecto-5'-nucleotidase/CD73-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:634-42 pubmed..We conclude that the generation of adenosine at the glomerular pole depends to a major extent on e-5'NT/CD73-mediated dephosphorylation of 5'-AMP, presumably generated from released ATP. ..
- Yang J, Chen J, Fredholm B. Physiological roles of A1 and A2A adenosine receptors in regulating heart rate, body temperature, and locomotion as revealed using knockout mice and caffeine. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1141-9 pubmed publisher..The A(2A)R plays an important role in the modulation of O(2)C and LA by acute and chronic caffeine administration. There is also evidence for effects of higher doses of caffeine being independent of both A(1)R and A(2A)R. ..
- Fredholm B. Adenosine, an endogenous distress signal, modulates tissue damage and repair. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1315-23 pubmed..This review will briefly summarize what is known and what is not in this regard. It is argued that drugs targeting adenosine receptors might be useful adjuncts in many therapeutic approaches. ..
- Zylka M, Sowa N, Taylor Blake B, Twomey M, Herrala A, Voikar V, et al. Prostatic acid phosphatase is an ectonucleotidase and suppresses pain by generating adenosine. Neuron. 2008;60:111-22 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal molecular and physiological functions for PAP in purine nucleotide metabolism and nociception and suggest a novel use for PAP in the treatment of chronic pain. ..
- Reichelt M, Willems L, Molina J, Sun C, Noble J, Ashton K, et al. Genetic deletion of the A1 adenosine receptor limits myocardial ischemic tolerance. Circ Res. 2005;96:363-7 pubmed..Genetically modified mice were used to examine effects of global A1 adenosine receptor (A1AR) knockout (KO) on function and ischemic tolerance in perfused mouse hearts...
- Salehi A, Parandeh F, Fredholm B, Grapengiesser E, Hellman B. Absence of adenosine A1 receptors unmasks pulses of insulin release and prolongs those of glucagon and somatostatin. Life Sci. 2009;85:470-6 pubmed publisher..The A(1)R receptor is important both for the amplitude (insulin) and duration (glucagon and somatostatin) of islet hormone pulses. ..
- Eckle T, Krahn T, Grenz A, Kohler D, Mittelbronn M, Ledent C, et al. Cardioprotection by ecto-5'-nucleotidase (CD73) and A2B adenosine receptors. Circulation. 2007;115:1581-90 pubmed..Once generated, adenosine can activate cell-surface adenosine receptors (A1 AR, A2A AR, A2B AR, A3 AR)...
- Koeppen M, Eckle T, Eltzschig H. Selective deletion of the A1 adenosine receptor abolishes heart-rate slowing effects of intravascular adenosine in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6784 pubmed publisher..While adenosine can signal through any of four ARs (A1AR, A2AAR, A2BAR, A3AR), previous ex vivo studies implicated the A1AR in the heart-rate slowing effects...
- Halldner L, Aden U, Dahlberg V, Johansson B, Ledent C, Fredholm B. The adenosine A1 receptor contributes to the stimulatory, but not the inhibitory effect of caffeine on locomotion: a study in mice lacking adenosine A1 and/or A2A receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2004;46:1008-17 pubmed..We wanted to elucidate the role of the adenosine A(1) receptor (A1R) in mediating the locomotor effects of increasing doses of caffeine using wild-type mice (A1R(WT)), mice ..
- Eckle T, Faigle M, Grenz A, Laucher S, Thompson L, Eltzschig H. A2B adenosine receptor dampens hypoxia-induced vascular leak. Blood. 2008;111:2024-35 pubmed..Here, we examined the contribution of individual adenosine receptors (ARs: A1AR/A2AAR/A2BAR/A3AR) to vascular leak induced by hypoxia...
- Rivkees S, Chen M, Kulkarni J, Browne J, Zhao Z. Characterization of the murine A1 adenosine receptor promoter, potent regulation by GATA-4 and Nkx2.5. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14204-9 pubmed..To understand the biologic basis of A1AR expression, a genomic fragment containing the murine A1AR promoter was cloned...
- Johansson S, Lindgren E, Yang J, Herling A, Fredholm B. Adenosine A1 receptors regulate lipolysis and lipogenesis in mouse adipose tissue-interactions with insulin. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;597:92-101 pubmed publisher..We have examined the role of adenosine and its interactions with insulin in adipose tissue by using A1R knock out (-/-) mice...
- Lee H, Xu H, Nasr S, Schnermann J, Emala C. A1 adenosine receptor knockout mice exhibit increased renal injury following ischemia and reperfusion. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004;286:F298-306 pubmed..b>A1 AR knockout mice (A1KO) or their wild-type littermate controls (A1WT) were subjected to 30 min of renal ischemia...
- Turner C, Seli M, Ment L, Stewart W, Yan H, Johansson B, et al. A1 adenosine receptors mediate hypoxia-induced ventriculomegaly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:11718-22 pubmed..Using mice that are deficient in the A1AR gene (A1AR-/-), we show that A1ARs play a prominent role in the development of hypoxia-induced ventriculomegaly in ..
- Faulhaber Walter R, Chen L, Oppermann M, Kim S, Huang Y, Hiramatsu N, et al. Lack of A1 adenosine receptors augments diabetic hyperfiltration and glomerular injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:722-30 pubmed publisher..A1 adenosine receptor (A1AR) null mice lack a TGF response, so this model was used to investigate the contribution of TGF to hyperfiltration in ..
- Sun D, Samuelson L, Yang T, Huang Y, Paliege A, Saunders T, et al. Mediation of tubuloglomerular feedback by adenosine: evidence from mice lacking adenosine 1 receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:9983-8 pubmed..supply through the A2 class of adenosine receptors and reducing oxygen demand through A1 adenosine receptors (A1AR)...
- Johansson S, Yang J, Lindgren E, Fredholm B. Eliminating the antilipolytic adenosine A1 receptor does not lead to compensatory changes in the antilipolytic actions of PGE2 and nicotinic acid. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2007;190:87-96 pubmed..The A(1)R mediates the antilipolytic actions of adenosine. Deletion of the A(1)R in mice does not result in compensatory increases in G-protein-mediated antilipolytic actions of PGE(2) or nicotinic acid. ..
- Joo J, Kim M, Horst P, Kim J, D Agati V, Emala C, et al. Acute and delayed renal protection against renal ischemia and reperfusion injury with A1 adenosine receptors. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F1847-57 pubmed..Therefore, transient activation of renal A(1)AR led to acute as well as delayed protective effects against renal IR injury via distinct signaling pathways. ..
- Eckle T, Grenz A, Laucher S, Eltzschig H. A2B adenosine receptor signaling attenuates acute lung injury by enhancing alveolar fluid clearance in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3301-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies reveal a role for A2BAR signaling in attenuating VILI and implicate this receptor as a potential therapeutic target during acute lung injury. ..
- Wendler C, Amatya S, McClaskey C, Ghatpande S, Fredholm B, Rivkees S. A1 adenosine receptors play an essential role in protecting the embryo against hypoxia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9697-702 pubmed..These results show that short periods of hypoxia during early embryogenesis can result in intrauterine growth retardation. We identify adenosine and A(1)ARs as playing an essential role in protecting the embryo from hypoxia. ..
- Yang J, Tiselius C, Dare E, Johansson B, Valen G, Fredholm B. Sex differences in mouse heart rate and body temperature and in their regulation by adenosine A1 receptors. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2007;190:63-75 pubmed..Thus, the adenosine A(1) receptor is involved in the regulation of heart rate, body temperature and locomotor activity, but the magnitude of the involvement is different in males and females. ..
- Sandau U, Colino Oliveira M, Jones A, Saleumvong B, Coffman S, Liu L, et al. Adenosine Kinase Deficiency in the Brain Results in Maladaptive Synaptic Plasticity. J Neurosci. 2016;36:12117-12128 pubmed..Our data show that neurological phenotypes in ADK-deficient patients are intrinsic to ADK deficiency in the brain and that blocking A2AR activity therapeutically can attenuate neurological symptoms in ADK deficiency. ..
- Hofer M, Pospisil M, Znojil V, Holá J, Streitová D, Vacek A. Homeostatic action of adenosine A3 and A1 receptor agonists on proliferation of hematopoietic precursor cells. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2008;233:897-900 pubmed publisher..The results indicate opposite effects of the two adenosine receptor agonists on proliferation of hematopoietic cells and suggest the plasticity and homeostatic role of the adenosine receptor expression. ..
- Chen L, Fredholm B, Jondal M. Adenosine, through the A1 receptor, inhibits vesicular MHC class I cross-presentation by resting DC. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:2247-54 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that 2-Cl-Ado, by acting on A(1) receptor, can suppress vesicular MHC class I cross-presentation in rDC. ..
- Morrison R, Teng B, Oldenburg P, Katwa L, Schnermann J, Mustafa S. Effects of targeted deletion of A1 adenosine receptors on postischemic cardiac function and expression of adenosine receptor subtypes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H1875-82 pubmed..Together, these data affirm the cardioprotective role of A(1)ARs and suggest that induced expression of other adenosine receptor subtypes may participate in the response to ischemia-reperfusion in isolated murine hearts. ..
- Zizzo M, Mastropaolo M, Lentini L, Mule F, Serio R. Adenosine negatively regulates duodenal motility in mice: role of A(1) and A(2A) receptors. Br J Pharmacol. 2011;164:1580-9 pubmed publisher..Both receptors are available for pharmacological recruitment, even if only A(2A) receptors appear to be preferentially stimulated by endogenous adenosine. ..
- Allen Gipson D, Blackburn M, Schneider D, Zhang H, Bluitt D, Jarrell J, et al. Adenosine activation of A(2B) receptor(s) is essential for stimulated epithelial ciliary motility and clearance. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2011;301:L171-80 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that purinergic stimulation of CBF requires A(2B) adenosine receptor activation, likely via a PKA-dependent pathway...
- Hashimoto S, Huang Y, Briggs J, Schnermann J. Reduced autoregulatory effectiveness in adenosine 1 receptor-deficient mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F888-91 pubmed..Using mice with deletion of the A(1) adenosine receptor (A1AR) gene, we tested the prediction that the absence of TGF, previously established to result from A1AR deficiency, is ..
- Børglum J, Vassaux G, Richelsen B, Gaillard D, Darimont C, Ailhaud G, et al. Changes in adenosine A1- and A2-receptor expression during adipose cell differentiation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1996;117:17-25 pubmed..Thus, endogenous adenosine may have a bimodal action on adipose tissue metabolism mediated through stimulatory A2- and inhibitory A1-receptors, respectively, as a function of adipose conversion. ..
- Vlajkovic S, Ambepitiya K, Barclay M, Boison D, Housley G, Thorne P. Adenosine receptors regulate susceptibility to noise-induced neural injury in the mouse cochlea and hearing loss. Hear Res. 2017;345:43-51 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that the loss of A1AR expression results in an increased susceptibility to cochlear neural injury and hearing loss, whilst absence of A2AAR increases cochlear resistance to acoustic trauma. ..
- Salloum F, Das A, Thomas C, Yin C, Kukreja R. Adenosine A(1) receptor mediates delayed cardioprotective effect of sildenafil in mouse. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2007;43:545-51 pubmed..These results suggest that A(1)AR activation following treatment with sildenafil plays an integral role in the signaling cascade responsible for delayed protection against global I/R injury. ..
- Wang Y, Yang J, Arner A, Boels P, Fredholm B. Adenosine A(1) receptors and vascular reactivity. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2010;199:211-20 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, contractile effects on isolated vessels cannot explain the blood pressure in A(1) knock-out mice. The A(1) receptor modulation of blood pressure is therefore mainly related to extravascular factors. ..
- Kim S, Mizel D, Huang Y, Briggs J, Schnermann J. Adenosine as a mediator of macula densa-dependent inhibition of renin secretion. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F1016-23 pubmedAdenosine acting through A(1) adenosine receptors (A1AR) has been shown previously to be required for the vasoconstriction elicited by high luminal NaCl concentrations at the macula densa (MD)...
- Schweda F, Segerer F, Castrop H, Schnermann J, Kurtz A. Blood pressure-dependent inhibition of Renin secretion requires A1 adenosine receptors. Hypertension. 2005;46:780-6 pubmed..Inactivation of A1 adenosine receptors by either pharmacological blockade (DPCPX 1 micromol/L) or genetic deletion (A1AR(-/-) mice) did not modify the stimulation of renin release by a low RPP, but completely prevented the suppression ..
- Flach T, Pang W, Chau E, Desrosiers M, Shi Y. Adenosine primes resting stage dendritic cells before their activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;380:748-51 pubmed publisher..This effect is mediated by cAMP signaling. Our report suggests that there is a specific regulatory mechanism used by DCs to overcome adenosine mediated inhibition to become fully activated despite a general suppressive state. ..
- Mitani T, Watanabe S, Yoshioka Y, Katayama S, Nakamura S, Ashida H. Theobromine suppresses adipogenesis through enhancement of CCAAT-enhancer-binding protein ? degradation by adenosine receptor A1. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:2438-2448 pubmed publisher..Pull down assay showed that theobromine selectively interacts with adenosine receptor A1 (AR1), and AR1 knockdown inhibited theobromine-induced C/EBP? degradation...
- Hamad M. The role of adenosine receptor engagement in murine fetal thymocyte development. APMIS. 1999;107:896-902 pubmed..An understanding of the cell-type-specific and developmental expression of adenosine receptors will help elucidate the mechanisms by which adenosine receptor engagement influences T-cell development. ..
- Kim S, Mizel D, Qin Y, Huang Y, Schnermann J. Blood pressure, heart rate and tubuloglomerular feedback in A1AR-deficient mice with different genetic backgrounds. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2015;213:259-67 pubmed publisher..In this study, we have used A1AR-deficient mice in a C57Bl/6 and SWR/J congenic background to assess the influence of background on the effect of ..
- Zhang Y, Dai Y, Wen J, Zhang W, Grenz A, Sun H, et al. Detrimental effects of adenosine signaling in sickle cell disease. Nat Med. 2011;17:79-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, excessive adenosine signaling through the A(2B)R has a pathological role in SCD. These findings may provide new therapeutic possibilities for this disease. ..
- Figler R, Wang G, Srinivasan S, Jung D, Zhang Z, Pankow J, et al. Links between insulin resistance, adenosine A2B receptors, and inflammatory markers in mice and humans. Diabetes. 2011;60:669-79 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that increased A(2B)R signaling in diabetes increases insulin resistance in part by elevating proinflammatory mediators. Selective A(2B)R blockers may be useful to treat insulin resistance. ..
- Ryzhov S, Novitskiy S, Goldstein A, Biktasova A, Blackburn M, Biaggioni I, et al. Adenosinergic regulation of the expansion and immunosuppressive activity of CD11b+Gr1+ cells. J Immunol. 2011;187:6120-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that generation of adenosine by CD73 expressed at high levels on granulocytic MDSCs may promote their expansion and facilitate their immunosuppressive activity. ..
- Carlin J, Jain S, Gizewski E, Wan T, Tosh D, Xiao C, et al. Hypothermia in mouse is caused by adenosine A1 and A3 receptor agonists and AMP via three distinct mechanisms. Neuropharmacology. 2017;114:101-113 pubmed publisher..mechanisms for hypothermia using telemetric monitoring of body temperature in wild type and receptor knock out (Adora1-/-, Adora3-/-) mice...
- Cheng P, Ren Y, Bai S, Wu Y, Xu Y, Pan J, et al. Chronic Cerebral Ischemia Induces Downregulation of A1 Adenosine Receptors During White Matter Damage in Adult Mice. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2015;35:1149-56 pubmed publisher..b>A1AR expression and proteolipid protein (PLP, a marker of white matter myelination) in the corpus callosum were observed ..
- Mi T, Abbasi S, Zhang H, Uray K, Chunn J, Xia L, et al. Excess adenosine in murine penile erectile tissues contributes to priapism via A2B adenosine receptor signaling. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:1491-501 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insight regarding the molecular basis of priapism and suggest that strategies to either reduce adenosine or block A2BR activation may prove beneficial in the treatment of this disorder. ..
- Synowitz M, Glass R, Färber K, Markovic D, Kronenberg G, Herrmann K, et al. A1 adenosine receptors in microglia control glioblastoma-host interaction. Cancer Res. 2006;66:8550-7 pubmed..A(1)AR agonists suppressed tumor growth. When, however, microglial cells were depleted from the slices, the agonists even stimulated tumor growth. Thus, adenosine attenuates glioblastoma growth acting via A(1)AR in microglia. ..
- Sawynok J, Reid A, Fredholm B. Caffeine reverses antinociception by oxcarbazepine by inhibition of adenosine A1 receptors: insights using knockout mice. Neurosci Lett. 2010;473:178-81 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that, while adenosine A(1) receptors are not required for oxcarbazepine to produce antinociception in knockout mice, such receptors are essential in order to see caffeine reversal of this antinociceptive effect. ..
- Ponnoth D, Nayeem M, Kunduri S, Tilley S, Zeldin D, Ledent C, et al. Role of ?-hydroxylase in adenosine-mediated aortic response through MAP kinase using A2A-receptor knockout mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;302:R400-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that, in the absence of A(2A)AR, Cyp4a induces vasoconstriction through MAPK via upregulation of A(1)AR and PKC-?. ..
- Zhang S, Li H, Li B, Zhong D, Gu X, Tang L, et al. Adenosine A1 Receptors Selectively Modulate Oxygen-Induced Retinopathy at the Hyperoxic and Hypoxic Phases by Distinct Cellular Mechanisms. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:8108-19 pubmed publisherWe critically evaluated the role of the adenosine A1 receptor (A1R) in normal development of retinal vasculature and pathogenesis of retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) by using the A1R knockout (KO) mice and oxygen-induced retinopathy (OIR)..
- Pingle S, Mishra S, Marcuzzi A, Bhat S, Sekino Y, Rybak L, et al. Osmotic diuretics induce adenosine A1 receptor expression and protect renal proximal tubular epithelial cells against cisplatin-mediated apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:43157-67 pubmed..Adenosine A1 receptor (A1AR) subtype present on renal proximal tubular epithelial and cortical collecting duct cells mediates the antidiuretic ..
- Robin E, Sabourin J, Benoit R, Pedretti S, Raddatz E. Adenosine A1 receptor activation is arrhythmogenic in the developing heart through NADPH oxidase/ERK- and PLC/PKC-dependent mechanisms. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2011;51:945-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that pacemaking and conduction disturbances are induced via A(1)AR through concomitant stimulation of NADPH oxidase and PLC, followed by downstream activation of ERK and PKC with LCC as possible target. ..
- Gallos G, Ruyle T, Emala C, Lee H. A1 adenosine receptor knockout mice exhibit increased mortality, renal dysfunction, and hepatic injury in murine septic peritonitis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;289:F369-76 pubmed..We conclude that endogenous A(1)AR activation confers a protective effect in mice from septic peritonitis primarily by attenuating the hyperacute inflammatory response in sepsis. ..
- Hansen P, Hashimoto S, Briggs J, Schnermann J. Attenuated renovascular constrictor responses to angiotensin II in adenosine 1 receptor knockout mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003;285:R44-9 pubmed..the renovascular constrictor effects of ANG II in the chronic and complete absence of A1 adenosine receptors (A1AR) using mice with targeted deletion of the A1AR gene...
- Zhou X, Teng B, Tilley S, Mustafa S. A1 adenosine receptor negatively modulates coronary reactive hyperemia via counteracting A2A-mediated H2O2 production and KATP opening in isolated mouse hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013;305:H1668-79 pubmed publisher..In this study, A1 AR knockout (KO), A3 AR KO, and A1 and A3 AR double-KO (A1/A3 DKO) mice were used to investigate the roles and ..
- Wu W, Hao J, Halldner L, Lövdahl C, DeLander G, Wiesenfeld Hallin Z, et al. Increased nociceptive response in mice lacking the adenosine A1 receptor. Pain. 2005;113:395-404 pubmedThe role of the adenosine A1 receptor in nociception was assessed using mice lacking the A1 receptor (A1R-/-) and in rats...
- Hurt J, Fitzpatrick B, Norris Drouin J, Zylka M. Secretion and N-linked glycosylation are required for prostatic acid phosphatase catalytic and antinociceptive activity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32741 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings indicate that recombinant hPAP can be produced in Pichia--a yeast strain that is used to generate biologics for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Rogachev B, Ziv N, Mazar J, Nakav S, Chaimovitz C, Zlotnik M, et al. Adenosine is upregulated during peritonitis and is involved in downregulation of inflammation. Kidney Int. 2006;70:675-81 pubmed..Future treatment with adenosine agonists should be considered for attenuating the damage to mesothelium during the course of acute peritonitis. ..
- Faulhaber Walter R, Jou W, Mizel D, Li L, Zhang J, Kim S, et al. Impaired glucose tolerance in the absence of adenosine A1 receptor signaling. Diabetes. 2011;60:2578-87 pubmed publisher..In the current study, we used A1-ADO receptor (A1AR)-deficient mice to investigate the role of ADO/A1AR signaling for glucose homeostasis...
- Haselkorn M, Shellington D, Jackson E, Vagni V, Janesko Feldman K, Dubey R, et al. Adenosine A1 receptor activation as a brake on the microglial response after experimental traumatic brain injury in mice. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:901-10 pubmed publisher..A(1)AR activation is an endogenous inhibitor of the microglial response to TBI, likely via inhibition of proliferation, and this may represent a therapeutic avenue to modulate microglia after TBI. ..
- Street S, Kramer N, Walsh P, Taylor Blake B, Yadav M, KING I, et al. Tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphatase acts redundantly with PAP and NT5E to generate adenosine in the dorsal spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2013;33:11314-22 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data reveal that TNAP, PAP, and NT5E are the main AMP ectonucleotidases in primary somatosensory neurons and regulate physiology by metabolizing extracellular purine nucleotides. ..
- Sun C, Young H, Molina J, Volmer J, Schnermann J, Blackburn M. A protective role for the A1 adenosine receptor in adenosine-dependent pulmonary injury. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:35-43 pubmed
- Lee H, Kim M, Joo J, Gallos G, Chen J, Emala C. A3 adenosine receptor activation decreases mortality and renal and hepatic injury in murine septic peritonitis. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R959-69 pubmed..IB-MECA significantly reduced mortality in mice lacking the A1AR or A2aAR but not the A3AR, demonstrating specificity of IB-MECA in activating A3ARs and mediating protection ..
- Reichelt M, Shanu A, Willems L, Witting P, Ellis N, Blackburn M, et al. Endogenous adenosine selectively modulates oxidant stress via the A1 receptor in ischemic hearts. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2009;11:2641-50 pubmed publisher..2 +/- 0.7 IU/g of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH). A1AR deletion worsened dysfunction and LDH efflux (15.2 +/- 2.6 IU/g)...
- Moidunny S, Dias R, Wesseling E, Sekino Y, Boddeke H, Sebastião A, et al. Interleukin-6-type cytokines in neuroprotection and neuromodulation: oncostatin M, but not leukemia inhibitory factor, requires neuronal adenosine A1 receptor function. J Neurochem. 2010;114:1667-77 pubmed publisher..No such effect was observed after LIF pre-treatment. Our findings thus strongly suggest that, despite known structural and functional similarities, OSM and LIF use different mechanisms to achieve neuroprotection and neuromodulation. ..
- Kochanek P, Vagni V, Janesko K, Washington C, Crumrine P, Garman R, et al. Adenosine A1 receptor knockout mice develop lethal status epilepticus after experimental traumatic brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006;26:565-75 pubmed..05) and SE was restricted to the ko mice (83% incidence). Our data suggest a critical endogenous anticonvulsant action of adenosine at A1 receptors early after experimental TBI. ..
- Scammell T, Arrigoni E, Thompson M, Ronan P, Saper C, Greene R. Focal deletion of the adenosine A1 receptor in adult mice using an adeno-associated viral vector. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5762-70 pubmed..This transduction knock-out technique holds enormous potential for dissecting the functions of different CNS pathways. ..