Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Adh4
Description: alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (class II), pi polypeptide
Alias: Adh2, alcohol dehydrogenase 4, alcohol dehydrogenase II, alcohol dehydrogenase class II, class II type ADH
- Galter D, Carmine A, Buervenich S, Duester G, Olson L. Distribution of class I, III and IV alcohol dehydrogenase mRNAs in the adult rat, mouse and human brain. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1316-26 pubmed..Our results thus support the notion that the only ADH expressed in adult mouse, rat and human brain is class III ADH. ..
- Gonzalez Duarte R, Albalat R. Merging protein, gene and genomic data: the evolution of the MDR-ADH family. Heredity (Edinb). 2005;95:184-97 pubmed..The data now available provide a comprehensive scenario, from which a reliable picture of the evolutionary history of this family can be made. ..
- Ulven S, Gundersen T, Sakhi A, Glover J, Blomhoff R. Quantitative axial profiles of retinoic acid in the embryonic mouse spinal cord: 9-cis retinoic acid only detected after all-trans-retinoic acid levels are super-elevated experimentally. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:341-53 pubmed..It sets definite limits on how much 9-cis-RA potentially is present and demonstrates that at-RA predominates over 9-cis-RA by at least 30- to 180-fold in different spinal cord regions. ..
- Ulven S, Gundersen T, Weedon M, Landaas V, Sakhi A, Fromm S, et al. Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2000;220:379-91 pubmed..binding proteins, and two enzymes able to convert retinol to retinal (retinol dehydrogenase 5 (RDH5) and alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4))...
- Belin A, Westerlund M, Anvret A, Lindqvist E, Pernold K, Ogren S, et al. Modeling Parkinson's disease genetics: altered function of the dopamine system in Adh4 knockout mice. Behav Brain Res. 2011;217:439-45 pubmed publisherClass IV alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH4) efficiently reduces aldehydes produced during lipid peroxidation, and may thus serve to protect from toxic effects of aldehydes e.g. on neurons...
- Holmes R. Genetics and ontogeny of alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes in the mouse: evidence for a cis-acting regulator gene (Adt-i) controlling C2 isozyme expression in reproductive tissues and close linkage of Adh-3 and Adt-i on chromosome 3. Biochem Genet. 1979;17:461-72 pubmed
- Molotkov A, Fan X, Duester G. Excessive vitamin A toxicity in mice genetically deficient in either alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 or Adh3. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:2607-12 pubmed..Here, Adh1, Adh3, and Adh4 null mutant mice have been examined following acute and chronic vitamin A excess...
- Strömberg P, Svensson S, Berst K, Plapp B, Höög J. Enzymatic mechanism of low-activity mouse alcohol dehydrogenase 2. Biochemistry. 2004;43:1323-8 pubmedb>ADH2 is a member of one of the six classes of mammalian alcohol dehydrogenases, which catalyze the reversible oxidation of alcohols using NAD(+) as a cofactor...