Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Adcy3
Description: adenylate cyclase 3
Alias: AC3, mKIAA0511, adenylate cyclase type 3, AC-III, ATP pyrophosphate-lyase 3, adenylate cyclase type III, adenylate cyclase, olfactive type, adenylyl cyclase 3
- Zou D, Chesler A, Le Pichon C, Kuznetsov A, Pei X, Hwang E, et al. Absence of adenylyl cyclase 3 perturbs peripheral olfactory projections in mice. J Neurosci. 2007;27:6675-83 pubmed..Here, we further investigated whether establishment of the mature glomerular array requires adenylyl cyclase 3 (AC3), a key component of the OR-mediated cAMP-dependent signaling cascade...
- Wang Z, Phan T, Storm D. The type 3 adenylyl cyclase is required for novel object learning and extinction of contextual memory: role of cAMP signaling in primary cilia. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5557-61 pubmed publisher..Because the type 3 adenylyl cyclase (AC3) is expressed in primary cilia of hippocampal neurons, we examined AC3(-/-) mice for several forms of learning and ..
- Wang Z, Storm D. Maternal behavior is impaired in female mice lacking type 3 adenylyl cyclase. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:772-81 pubmed publisher..As some odorant receptors are coupled to the type 3 adenylyl cyclase (AC3), we evaluated the role of AC3 for maternal behavior using AC3(-/-) female mice...
- Wang Z, Li V, Chan G, Phan T, Nudelman A, Xia Z, et al. Adult type 3 adenylyl cyclase-deficient mice are obese. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6979 pubmed publisherA recent study of obesity in Swedish men found that polymorphisms in the type 3 adenylyl cyclase (AC3) are associated with obesity, suggesting the interesting possibility that AC3 may play a role in weight control...
- Wang Z, Balet Sindreu C, Li V, Nudelman A, Chan G, Storm D. Pheromone detection in male mice depends on signaling through the type 3 adenylyl cyclase in the main olfactory epithelium. J Neurosci. 2006;26:7375-9 pubmed..Odorant receptors in the MOE are coupled to the type 3 adenylyl cyclase (AC3), an enzyme not expressed in the VNO...
- Kobayakawa K, Hayashi R, Morita K, Miyamichi K, Oka Y, Tsuboi A, et al. Stomatin-related olfactory protein, SRO, specifically expressed in the murine olfactory sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2002;22:5931-7 pubmed..Furthermore, anti-SRO antibodies stimulated cAMP production in fractionated cilia membrane. SRO may play a crucial role in modulating odorant signals in the lipid rafts of olfactory cilia. ..
- Tasaki T, Sohr R, Xia Z, Hellweg R, Hörtnagl H, Varshavsky A, et al. Biochemical and genetic studies of UBR3, a ubiquitin ligase with a function in olfactory and other sensory systems. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18510-20 pubmed..By analogy with functions of the UBR domain in the N-end rule pathway, we propose that the UBR box of UBR3 may recognize small compounds that modulate the targeting, by this E3, of its currently unknown substrates. ..
- Schwarzenbacher K, Fleischer J, Breer H, Conzelmann S. Expression of olfactory receptors in the cribriform mesenchyme during prenatal development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:543-52 pubmed..Moreover, these cells are primarily located where axons fasciculate and change direction towards the anterior part of the forebrain. ..
- Ma X, Peterson R, Turnbull J. Adenylyl cyclase type 3, a marker of primary cilia, is reduced in primary cell culture and in lumbar spinal cord in situ in G93A SOD1 mice. BMC Neurosci. 2011;12:71 pubmed publisher..In primary culture and in situ in G93A SOD1 mice there is a large reduction in the proportion of motor neurons bearing a primary cilium. ..
- Wang Z, Zhou Y, Luo Y, Zhang J, Zhai Y, Yang D, et al. Gene Expression Profiles of Main Olfactory Epithelium in Adenylyl Cyclase 3 Knockout Mice. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:28320-33 pubmed publisherb>Adenylyl Cyclase 3 (AC3) plays an important role in the olfactory sensation-signaling pathway in mice. AC3 deficiency leads to defects in olfaction...
- Luo J, Chen X, Pan Y, Lu S, Xia Z, Storm D. The type 3 adenylyl cyclase is required for the survival and maturation of newly generated granule cells in the olfactory bulb. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0122057 pubmed publisherThe type 3 adenylyl cyclase (AC3) is localized to olfactory cilia in the main olfactory epithelium (MOE) and primary cilia in the adult mouse brain...
- Zhang J, Yuan Y, Liu Q, Yang D, Liu M, Shen L, et al. Differentially expressed genes in the testicular tissues of adenylyl cyclase 3 knockout mice. Gene. 2017;602:33-42 pubmed publisherAdenylate cyclase 3 (AC3) is an important component of the cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate (cAMP) signaling pathway and converts adenosine triphosphate into cAMP. Male mice with AC3 deletion (AC3-/-) are sterile...
- Arellano J, Guadiana S, Breunig J, Rakic P, Sarkisian M. Development and distribution of neuronal cilia in mouse neocortex. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:848-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, the function of this organelle in neocortical neurons remains elusive. ..
- Chew T, Peaston A, Lim A, Lorthongpanich C, Knowles B, Solter D. A tudor domain protein SPINDLIN1 interacts with the mRNA-binding protein SERBP1 and is involved in mouse oocyte meiotic resumption. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69764 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that Spin1 regulates maternal transcripts post-transcriptionally and is involved in meiotic resumption. ..
- Kaneko Goto T, Sato Y, Katada S, Kinameri E, Yoshihara S, Nishiyori A, et al. Goofy coordinates the acuity of olfactory signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12987-96, 12996a pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Goofy plays an important role in establishing the acuity of olfactory sensory signaling. ..
- Santoro S, Dulac C. The activity-dependent histone variant H2BE modulates the life span of olfactory neurons. elife. 2012;1:e00070 pubmed publisher..We propose a physiological function for H2be in modulating olfactory neuron population dynamics to adapt the OR repertoire to the environment.DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00070.001. ..
- Mobley A, Miller A, Araneda R, Maurer L, Muller F, Greer C. Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in olfactory sensory neurons regulate axon extension and glomerular formation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16498-508 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that the outgrowth and coalescence of OSN axons is, at least in part, subject to activity-dependent mechanisms mediated via HCN channels. ..
- Ansoleaga B, Garcia Esparcia P, Llorens F, Moreno J, Aso E, Ferrer I. Dysregulation of brain olfactory and taste receptors in AD, PSP and CJD, and AD-related model. Neuroscience. 2013;248:369-82 pubmed publisher..study demonstrates the presence of OR mRNA and mRNA of obligated downstream components of OR signaling adenylyl cyclase 3 (ADYLC3) and olfactory G protein (Gnal) in the cerebral cortex of the mouse...
- Lyons D, Allen W, Goh T, Tsai L, Barnea G, Lomvardas S. An epigenetic trap stabilizes singular olfactory receptor expression. Cell. 2013;154:325-36 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify the transient expression of histone demethylase LSD1 and the OR-dependent expression of adenylyl cyclase 3 (Adcy3) as requirements for initiation and stabilization of OR expression...
- Challis R, Tian H, Yin W, Ma M. Genetic Ablation of Type III Adenylyl Cyclase Exerts Region-Specific Effects on Cilia Architecture in the Mouse Nose. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150638 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings have significant implications for both cilia and sensory biology. ..
- Kittikulsuth W, Stuart D, Van Hoek A, Stockand J, Bugaj V, Mironova E, et al. Lack of an effect of collecting duct-specific deletion of adenylyl cyclase 3 on renal Na+ and water excretion or arterial pressure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014;306:F597-607 pubmed publisher..that CD adenylyl cyclase (AC)3 partly mediates the actions of vasopressin; however, the physiological role of CD AC3 has not been determined...
- Song J, Park R, Kim J, Hughes L, Lu L, Kim S, et al. Dual function of Yap in the regulation of lens progenitor cells and cellular polarity. Dev Biol. 2014;386:281-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results shed new light on Yap's indispensable and novel organizing role in mammalian organ size control by coordinating multiple events including cell proliferation, differentiation, and polarity. ..
- Hodge R, Garcia A, Elsen G, Nelson B, Mussar K, Reiner S, et al. Tbr2 expression in Cajal-Retzius cells and intermediate neuronal progenitors is required for morphogenesis of the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4165-80 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that Tbr2 is explicitly required for morphogenesis of the DG and participates in multiple aspects of the intricate developmental process of this structure. ..
- Antal M, Benardais K, Samama B, Auger C, Schini Kerth V, Ghandour S, et al. Adenylate Cyclase Type III Is Not a Ubiquitous Marker for All Primary Cilia during Development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170756 pubmed publisherb>Adenylate cyclase type III (AC3) is localized in plasma membrane of neuronal primary cilium and can be used as a marker of this cilium...
- Assens A, Dal Col J, Njoku A, Dietschi Q, Kan C, Feinstein P, et al. Alteration of Nrp1 signaling at different stages of olfactory neuron maturation promotes glomerular shifts along distinct axes in the olfactory bulb. Development. 2016;143:3817-3825 pubmed..Together, these findings show drastically different axonal targeting outcomes dependent on the timing at which Nrp1/Sema3A signaling is altered. ..
- Edelhoff S, Villacres E, Storm D, Disteche C. Mapping of adenylyl cyclase genes type I, II, III, IV, V, and VI in mouse. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:111-3 pubmed..type I-VI to mouse chromosomes by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): Adcy1 to Chr 11A2, Adcy2 to 13C1, Adcy3 to 12A-B, Adcy4 to 14D3, Adcy5 to 16B5, and Adcy6 to 15F...
- Maurya D, Bohm S, Alenius M. Hedgehog signaling regulates ciliary localization of mouse odorant receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E9386-E9394 pubmed publisher..These findings both define a physiological function of Hedgehog signaling in olfaction and provide an important evolutionary link between olfaction and the requirement of a ciliary compartment for Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Cheng L, Reed R. Zfp423/OAZ participates in a developmental switch during olfactory neurogenesis. Neuron. 2007;54:547-57 pubmed..Together, these experiments suggest that OAZ participates in a developmental switch regulating the transition from differentiation to maturation in ORNs. ..
- Zou J, Pan Y, Wang Z, Chang S, Wang W, Wang X, et al. Targeted deletion of ERK5 MAP kinase in the developing nervous system impairs development of GABAergic interneurons in the main olfactory bulb and behavioral discrimination between structurally similar odorants. J Neurosci. 2012;32:4118-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ERK5 is a novel signaling pathway regulating developmental OB neurogenesis and olfactory behavior. ..
- Nicol X, Bennis M, Ishikawa Y, Chan G, Repérant J, Storm D, et al. Role of the calcium modulated cyclases in the development of the retinal projections. Eur J Neurosci. 2006;24:3401-14 pubmed..Six different AC subtypes were found in the developing retinal ganglion cell layer (RGC; AC1, AC2, AC3, AC5, AC8, and AC9), and three AC subtypes were expressed in the central brain targets, the dorsal lateral ..
- Visel A, Alvarez Bolado G, Thaller C, Eichele G. Comprehensive analysis of the expression patterns of the adenylate cyclase gene family in the developing and adult mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 2006;496:684-97 pubmed..This is suggestive of functional specialization. ..
- Balmer C, LaMantia A. Loss of Gli3 and Shh function disrupts olfactory axon trajectories. J Comp Neurol. 2004;472:292-307 pubmed..Thus, two genes that influence induction and subsequent differentiation of craniofacial structures and the forebrain have distinct consequences for ORN axon growth during the initial genesis of the olfactory pathway. ..
- Dalton R, Lyons D, Lomvardas S. Co-opting the unfolded protein response to elicit olfactory receptor feedback. Cell. 2013;155:321-32 pubmed publisher..ATF5 induces the transcription of adenylyl cyclase 3 (Adcy3), which relieves the UPR...
- Brzezinski J, Lamba D, Reh T. Blimp1 controls photoreceptor versus bipolar cell fate choice during retinal development. Development. 2010;137:619-29 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Blimp1 regulates the decision between photoreceptor and bipolar cell fates in the Otx2(+) cell population during retinal development. ..
- Charles J, Coury F, Sulyanto R, Sitara D, Wu J, Brady N, et al. The collection of NFATc1-dependent transcripts in the osteoclast includes numerous genes non-essential to physiologic bone resorption. Bone. 2012;51:902-12 pubmed publisher..five novel RANKL-induced, NFATc1-dependent transcripts in the osteoclast are described: Nhedc2, Rhoc, Serpind1, Adcy3 and Rab38...
- Maurya D, Henriques T, Marini M, Pedemonte N, Galietta L, Rock J, et al. Development of the Olfactory Epithelium and Nasal Glands in TMEM16A-/- and TMEM16A+/+ Mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0129171 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the development of mouse olfactory epithelium and nasal glands does not seem to be affected by the genetic ablation of TMEM16A. ..
- Kajimura D, Dragomir C, Ramirez F, Laub F. Identification of genes regulated by transcription factor KLF7 in differentiating olfactory sensory neurons. Gene. 2007;388:34-42 pubmed..Collectively, these results advance knowledge of transcriptional regulation of olfactory neurogenesis and KLF7 action. ..
- Livera G, Xie F, Garcia M, Jaiswal B, Chen J, Law E, et al. Inactivation of the mouse adenylyl cyclase 3 gene disrupts male fertility and spermatozoon function. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:1277-90 pubmed..Here, we provide evidence for expression of type 3 AC (AC3) in male germ cells and describe the effects of disruption of the AC3 gene on fertility and function of mouse ..
- Pinto C, Reif G, Nivens E, White C, Wallace D. Calmodulin-sensitive adenylyl cyclases mediate AVP-dependent cAMP production and Cl- secretion by human autosomal dominant polycystic kidney cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;303:F1412-24 pubmed publisher..CaMKII inhibition increased AVP-induced cAMP, suggesting that cAMP synthesis is mediated by AC3. In contrast, CaM and CaMKII inhibition in NHK cells did not affect AVP-induced cAMP production...
- Le Pichon C, Valley M, Polymenidou M, Chesler A, Sagdullaev B, Aguzzi A, et al. Olfactory behavior and physiology are disrupted in prion protein knockout mice. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:60-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PrP(C) is important in the normal processing of sensory information by the olfactory system. ..
- Meneray M, Lallier T. Differential expression of adenylyl cyclase mRNAs in lacrimal glands of NZB/NZW and NOD pre-autoimmune mice. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;506:41-9 pubmed
- Michalski N, Michel V, Bahloul A, Lefevre G, Barral J, Yagi H, et al. Molecular characterization of the ankle-link complex in cochlear hair cells and its role in the hair bundle functioning. J Neurosci. 2007;27:6478-88 pubmed..The premature disappearance of these cadherin isoforms in the Vlgr1-/- mutant argues in favor of a signaling function of the ankle links in hair bundle differentiation. ..
- Chizhikov V, Davenport J, Zhang Q, Shih E, Cabello O, Fuchs J, et al. Cilia proteins control cerebellar morphogenesis by promoting expansion of the granule progenitor pool. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9780-9 pubmed
- Sammeta N, Hardin D, McClintock T. Uncx regulates proliferation of neural progenitor cells and neuronal survival in the olfactory epithelium. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2010;45:398-407 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that UNCX acts downstream of neural determination factors to broadly control transcriptional mechanisms used by neural progenitor cells to specify neural phenotypes...
- DeRouen M, Zhen H, Tan S, Williams S, Marinkovich M, Oro A. Laminin-511 and integrin beta-1 in hair follicle development and basal cell carcinoma formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:112 pubmed publisher..Our data provides support for a primary role of laminin-511 promoting hair follicle epithelial downgrowth without affecting dermal primary cilia and Shh target gene induction. ..
- Mukhopadhyay S, Wen X, Ratti N, Loktev A, Rangell L, Scales S, et al. The ciliary G-protein-coupled receptor Gpr161 negatively regulates the Sonic hedgehog pathway via cAMP signaling. Cell. 2013;152:210-23 pubmed publisher..Conversely, Shh signaling directs Gpr161 to be internalized from cilia, preventing its activity. Thus, Gpr161 defines a morphogenetic pathway coupling protein kinase A activation to Shh signaling during neural tube development. ..
- Tong C, Han Y, Shah J, Obernier K, Guinto C, Alvarez Buylla A. Primary cilia are required in a unique subpopulation of neural progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:12438-43 pubmed publisher..Primary cilia ablation led to disruption of Hh signaling in this subdomain. We conclude that primary cilia are required in a specific Hh-regulated subregion of the postnatal V-SVZ. ..
- Layman W, McEwen D, Beyer L, Lalani S, Fernbach S, Oh E, et al. Defects in neural stem cell proliferation and olfaction in Chd7 deficient mice indicate a mechanism for hyposmia in human CHARGE syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:1909-23 pubmed publisher..These studies provide evidence that mammalian olfactory dysfunction due to Chd7 haploinsufficiency is linked to primary defects in olfactory neural stem cell proliferation and may influence olfactory bulb development. ..
- Pluznick J, Zou D, Zhang X, Yan Q, Rodriguez Gil D, Eisner C, et al. Functional expression of the olfactory signaling system in the kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2059-64 pubmed publisher..find that major components of olfaction, including olfactory receptors (ORs), olfactory-related adenylate cyclase (AC3) and the olfactory G protein (G(olf)), are expressed in the kidney...
- Treloar H, Uboha U, Jeromin A, Greer C. Expression of the neuronal calcium sensor protein NCS-1 in the developing mouse olfactory pathway. J Comp Neurol. 2005;482:201-16 pubmed..Together, these data suggest multiple and overlapping roles of NCS-1 in the developing and mature olfactory system. ..
- Henion T, Faden A, Knott T, Schwarting G. ?3GnT2 maintains adenylyl cyclase-3 signaling and axon guidance molecule expression in the olfactory epithelium. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6576-86 pubmed publisher..The enzyme that synthesizes cAMP, adenylyl cyclase 3 (AC3), is coexpressed in olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) with poly-N-acetyllactosamine (PLN) ..
- Chaverra M, George L, Mergy M, Waller H, Kujawa K, Murnion C, et al. The familial dysautonomia disease gene IKBKAP is required in the developing and adult mouse central nervous system. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:605-618 pubmed publisher..With the identification of discrete CNS cell types and structures that depend on Ikbkap, novel strategies to thwart the progressive demise of CNS neurons in FD can be developed. ..
- Richardson R, Hammond N, Coulombe P, Saloranta C, Nousiainen H, Salonen R, et al. Periderm prevents pathological epithelial adhesions during embryogenesis. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:3891-900 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study suggests that failure of periderm formation underlies a series of devastating birth defects, including popliteal pterygium syndrome, cocoon syndrome, and Bartsocas-Papas syndrome. ..
- Kittikulsuth W, Stuart D, Van Hoek A, Kohan D. Lack of an effect of nephron-specific deletion of adenylyl cyclase 3 on renal sodium and water excretion or arterial pressure. Physiol Rep. 2015;3: pubmed publisher..However, the role of individual adenylyl cyclase isoforms in such regulation is largely unknown. Since adenylyl cyclase 3 (AC3) is expressed throughout nephron, we investigated its role in the physiologic regulation of renal Na(+) ..
- Nakashima A, Takeuchi H, Imai T, Saito H, Kiyonari H, Abe T, et al. Agonist-independent GPCR activity regulates anterior-posterior targeting of olfactory sensory neurons. Cell. 2013;154:1314-25 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the equilibrium of conformational transitions set by each OR is the major determinant of expression levels of A-P-targeting molecules. ..
- Horner K, Livera G, Hinckley M, Trinh K, Storm D, Conti M. Rodent oocytes express an active adenylyl cyclase required for meiotic arrest. Dev Biol. 2003;258:385-96 pubmed..The mRNA coding for the AC3 isoform of adenylyl cyclase was detected in rat and mouse oocytes by RT-PCR and by in situ hybridization...
- Miller A, Maurer L, Zou D, Firestein S, Greer C. Axon fasciculation in the developing olfactory nerve. Neural Dev. 2010;5:20 pubmed publisher..While regional segregation occurs in the mesenchyme, the final convergence of OR-specific subpopulations does not occur until the axons reach the inner nerve layer of the OB...
- Pitman J, Wheeler M, Lloyd D, Walker J, Glynne R, Gekakis N. A gain-of-function mutation in adenylate cyclase 3 protects mice from diet-induced obesity. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110226 pubmed publisher..a single coding mutation, predicted to cause a methionine-to-isoleucine substitution at position 279 of the Adcy3 protein (Adcy3M279I, henceforth referred to as Adcy3Jll)...
- Challis R, Tian H, Wang J, He J, Jiang J, Chen X, et al. An Olfactory Cilia Pattern in the Mammalian Nose Ensures High Sensitivity to Odors. Curr Biol. 2015;25:2503-12 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal an intrinsically programmed configuration in the nose to ensure high sensitivity to odors. ..