Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acvr2a
Description: activin receptor IIA
Alias: ActrIIa, Acvr2, TactrII, activin receptor type-2A, ACTR-IIA, activin receptor type IIA
- Wang S, Liu J, Li X, Ji X, Zhang J, Wang Y, et al. MiR-125b Regulates Primordial Follicle Assembly by Targeting Activin Receptor Type 2a in Neonatal Mouse Ovary. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:83 pubmed publisher..the activin/Smad2 signaling in neonatal mouse ovary by directly targeting the 3'-untranslated region of activin receptor type 2a (Acvr2a)...
- PERRON J, Dodd J. ActRIIA and BMPRII Type II BMP receptor subunits selectively required for Smad4-independent BMP7-evoked chemotaxis. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8198 pubmed publisher..II BMP receptors are expressed in monocytic cells, inhibition of receptor subunit expression by RNAi reveals that ActRIIA and BMPRII, but not ActRIIB, are each essential for BMP7-evoked chemotaxis but not required individually for BMP-..
- Hein L, Dzau V, Barsh G. Linkage mapping of the angiotensin AT2 receptor gene (Agtr2) to the mouse X chromosome. Genomics. 1995;30:369-71 pubmed..The mapping of Agtr2 may expand a region of conserved synteny with human Xq26 that includes Hprt. ..
- Zhang Y, Cleary M, Si Y, Liu G, Eto Y, Kritzik M, et al. Inhibition of activin signaling induces pancreatic epithelial cell expansion and diminishes terminal differentiation of pancreatic beta-cells. Diabetes. 2004;53:2024-33 pubmed..Follistatin participates in this process by promoting expansion of precursor cells during pancreas growth. ..
- Lee Y, Hong K, Yun J, Oh S. Generation of activin receptor type IIB isoform-specific hypomorphic alleles. Genesis. 2006;44:487-94 pubmed..In the absence of its subfamily receptor Acvr2a, however, the development of Acvr2b(4/4) mice was arrested at the gastrulation stage, recapitulating the Acvr2a(-/-..
- Ferguson C, Tucker A, Heikinheimo K, Nomura M, Oh P, Li E, et al. The role of effectors of the activin signalling pathway, activin receptors IIA and IIB, and Smad2, in patterning of tooth development. Development. 2001;128:4605-13 pubmed..Activin, thus, has an essential role in early development of incisor and mandibular molar teeth but this pathway is not required for development of maxillary molars. ..
- Vesper A, Raetzman L, Camper S. Role of prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) in gonadotrope differentiation and puberty. Endocrinology. 2006;147:1654-63 pubmed..We hypothesize that variation in PROP1 expression could affect the growth spurt and the onset of puberty in humans...
- van de Pavert S, Boerjan M, Stroband H, Taverne M, van den Hurk R. Uterine-embryonic interaction in pig: activin, follistatin, and activin receptor II in uterus and embryo during early gestation. Mol Reprod Dev. 2001;59:390-9 pubmed..Mol. Reprod. Dev. 59: 390-399, 2001. ..
- Ameerun R, de Winter J, van den Eijnden van Raaij A, den Hertog J, de Laat S, Tertoolen L. Activin and basic fibroblast growth factor regulate neurogenesis of murine embryonal carcinoma cells. Cell Growth Differ. 1996;7:1679-88 pubmed..These results strengthen the notion that activin and bFGF are important regulators of neurogenesis in the mammalian embryo. ..
- Manova K, De Leon V, Angeles M, Kalantry S, Giarre M, Attisano L, et al. mRNAs for activin receptors II and IIB are expressed in mouse oocytes and in the epiblast of pregastrula and gastrula stage mouse embryos. Mech Dev. 1995;49:3-11 pubmed..5 and continuing through E8.5. These results support the hypothesis that activin derived from the decidua promotes development of mesoderm in the period E5.5-E6.5. ..
- Wu N, Zhao Y, Yin Y, Zhang Y, Luo J. Identification and analysis of type II TGF-? receptors in BMP-9-induced osteogenic differentiation of C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal stem cells. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2010;42:699-708 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrated that BMPRII and ActRII are the functional type II TGF-? receptors in BMP-9-induced osteogenic differentiation of C3H10T1/2 cells. ..
- Matzuk M, Bradley A. Structure of the mouse activin receptor type II gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;185:404-13 pubmed..Analysis of the 5' region of the gene reveals several putative transcription factor binding sites which may be important for the complex transcriptional regulation of this gene. ..
- Greenwald J, Fischer W, Vale W, Choe S. Three-finger toxin fold for the extracellular ligand-binding domain of the type II activin receptor serine kinase. Nat Struct Biol. 1999;6:18-22 pubmed..Sequence comparison with an evolutionarily distant activin binding-protein identifies several conserved residues, including two hydrophobic clusters that may form binding surfaces for activin and the type I receptor. ..
- Fischer W, Greenwald J, Park M, Craig A, Choe S, Vale W. The disulfide bond arrangement in the extracellular domain of the activin type II receptor. J Protein Chem. 1999;18:437-46 pubmed..A similar disulfide arrangement occurs in a family of snake toxins for which the three-dimensional structure is known. ..
- Monteagudo L, Heriz A, Flavin N, Rogers M, Ennis S, Arruga M. Fluorescent in situ localization of the bovine activin receptor type IIA locus on chromosome 2 (2q2.3-2.4). Mamm Genome. 1996;7:869 pubmed
- Morita S, Hara A, Kojima I, Horii T, Kimura M, Kitamura T, et al. Dicer is required for maintaining adult pancreas. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4212 pubmed publisher..This suggested that Dicer1 is important for maintaining the adult pancreas. ..
- Flavin N, Heriz A, Monteagudo L, Ennis S, Martin F, Barendse W, et al. Cloning of the bovine activin receptor type II gene (ACVR2) and mapping to chromosome 2 (BTA2). Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1996;75:25-9 pubmedThe cDNA for the bovine activin receptor type II (ACVR2) gene has been cloned and sequenced. It encodes a protein of 513 amino acids which is highly homologous (approximately 98% identity) to the human, mouse, and rat proteins...
- Lee H, Seo G, Kim J, Lee M, Kim P. Activin A stimulates mouse macrophages to express APRIL via the Smad3 and ERK/CREB pathways. Immunol Lett. 2011;140:92-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that activin A can enhance APRIL expression through two different pathways, Smad3 and ERK/CREB. ..
- Liu J, Saito K, Maruya Y, Nakamura T, Yamada A, Fukumoto E, et al. Mutant GDF5 enhances ameloblast differentiation via accelerated BMP2-induced Smad1/5/8 phosphorylation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23670 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that mutant GDF5 enhances ameloblast differentiation via accelerated BMP2-signalling. ..
- Naz R, Rajesh C. Gene knockouts that cause female infertility: search for novel contraceptive targets. Front Biosci. 2005;10:2447-59 pubmed..These molecules will provide novel targets of contraception including contraceptive vaccine development. ..
- Shoji H, Nakamura T, van den Eijnden van Raaij A, Sugino H. Identification of a novel type II activin receptor, type IIA-N, induced during the neural differentiation of murine P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;246:320-4 pubmed..These results suggest that the expression of type IIA-N is specific to neural cells and mediates neural differentiation-specific activin signaling. ..
- Jiang F, Harrison L. Convergence of bone morphogenetic protein and laminin-1 signaling pathways promotes proliferation and colony formation by fetal mouse pancreatic cells. Exp Cell Res. 2005;308:114-22 pubmed..These results demonstrate a convergence of BMP and Ln-1 signaling through P13K and MAP kinase pathways to induce proliferation and colony formation in E15.5 fetal mouse pancreatic cells. ..
- Trudeau V, Matzuk M, Hache R, Renaud L. Overexpression of activin-beta A subunit mRNA is associated with decreased activin type II receptor mRNA levels in the testes of alpha-inhibin deficient mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;203:105-12 pubmed..These results demonstrate that increased expression of activin is accompanied by a tissue specific reduction in the expression of its own receptor mRNA in vivo. ..
- Andersson O, Bertolino P, Ibanez C. Distinct and cooperative roles of mammalian Vg1 homologs GDF1 and GDF3 during early embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2007;311:500-11 pubmed..and similar to GDF1, we find that GDF3 signaling can be mediated by the type I receptor ALK4, type II receptors ActRIIA and ActRIIB, and the co-receptor Cripto to activate Smad-dependent reporter genes...
- Li Q, Karam S, Coerver K, Matzuk M, Gordon J. Stimulation of activin receptor II signaling pathways inhibits differentiation of multiple gastric epithelial lineages. Mol Endocrinol. 1998;12:181-92 pubmed..This finding may have therapeutic significance...
- Allendorph G, Vale W, Choe S. Structure of the ternary signaling complex of a TGF-beta superfamily member. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7643-8 pubmed
- Verschueren K, Dewulf N, Goumans M, Lonnoy O, Feijen A, Grimsby S, et al. Expression of type I and type IB receptors for activin in midgestation mouse embryos suggests distinct functions in organogenesis. Mech Dev. 1995;52:109-23 pubmed
- Beppu H, Kawabata M, Hamamoto T, Chytil A, Minowa O, Noda T, et al. BMP type II receptor is required for gastrulation and early development of mouse embryos. Dev Biol. 2000;221:249-58 pubmed..Our results suggest that the function of BMPR-II is essential for epiblast differentiation and mesoderm induction during early mouse development. ..
- Tsuchida K, Nakatani M, Matsuzaki T, Yamakawa N, Liu Z, Bao Y, et al. Novel factors in regulation of activin signaling. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;225:1-8 pubmed..Thus, although structurally and functionally similar, follistatin and FLRG likely play distinct roles as activin/GDF binding proteins in vivo. ..
- Wreford N, Rajendra Kumar T, Matzuk M, de Kretser D. Analysis of the testicular phenotype of the follicle-stimulating hormone beta-subunit knockout and the activin type II receptor knockout mice by stereological analysis. Endocrinology. 2001;142:2916-20 pubmed..types in mice with targeted disruption of genes encoding the FSH beta-subunit and the activin type IIA receptor (ActRIIA). Using the optical dissector technique, the numbers of Sertoli cells and germ cells per testis were determined...
- Ramsdell A, Yost H. Molecular mechanisms of vertebrate left-right development. Trends Genet. 1998;14:459-65 pubmed
- Greenwald J, Groppe J, Gray P, Wiater E, Kwiatkowski W, Vale W, et al. The BMP7/ActRII extracellular domain complex provides new insights into the cooperative nature of receptor assembly. Mol Cell. 2003;11:605-17 pubmed..Taken together, our results provide a view of the ligand-mediated cooperative assembly of BMP and activin receptors that does not rely on receptor-receptor contacts. ..
- Indjeian V, Kingman G, Jones F, Guenther C, Grimwood J, Schmutz J, et al. Evolving New Skeletal Traits by cis-Regulatory Changes in Bone Morphogenetic Proteins. Cell. 2016;164:45-56 pubmed publisher..Both gain and loss of regulatory elements can localize BMP changes to specific anatomical locations, providing a flexible regulatory basis for evolving species-specific changes in skeletal form. ..
- Liang G, Zhang X, Wang J, Sun Y, Sun X, Cheng S, et al. Activin A accelerates the progression of fetal oocytes throughout meiosis and early oogenesis in the mouse. Stem Cells Dev. 2015;24:2455-65 pubmed publisher..In this study, we reported that activin receptors (including ActRIA, ActRIB, ActRIIA, and ActRIIB) are expressed throughout the development of the mouse ovaries from 12...
- Liu Q, Wang G, Chen Y, Li G, Yang D, Kang J. A miR-590/Acvr2a/Rad51b axis regulates DNA damage repair during mESC proliferation. Stem Cell Reports. 2014;3:1103-17 pubmed publisher..miR-590 directly targets Activin receptor type 2a (Acvr2a) to mediate Activin signaling...
- Xu J, McKeehan K, Matsuzaki K, McKeehan W. Inhibin antagonizes inhibition of liver cell growth by activin by a dominant-negative mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6308-13 pubmed..The results suggest that inhibin may be a natural antagonist of assembly of the heterodimeric activin receptor complex through a dominant-negative mechanism. ..
- Licona P, Chimal Monroy J, Soldevila G. Inhibins are the major activin ligands expressed during early thymocyte development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1124-32 pubmed..Our data showed that Alk4, ActRIIA, ActRIIB, and Smads 2, 3, and 4, are expressed in fetal thymus (E14 > E15 > E16) and in thymocytes from ..
- Simmons D, Cross J. Determinants of trophoblast lineage and cell subtype specification in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol. 2005;284:12-24 pubmed..Here, we review recent insights into the molecular pathways regulating trophoblast lineage segregation, stem cell maintenance, and subtype differentiation. ..
- Matzuk M, Kumar T, Bradley A. Different phenotypes for mice deficient in either activins or activin receptor type II. Nature. 1995;374:356-60 pubmed..The striking lack of overlap between phenotypes of ActRcII-deficient and activin-deficient mice suggests that the ligands that signal through ActRcII during embryonic development are not activins. ..
- Han R, Beppu H, Lee Y, Georgopoulos K, Larue L, Li E, et al. A pair of transmembrane receptors essential for the retention and pigmentation of hair. Genesis. 2012;50:783-800 pubmed publisher..Here, using mutant mice, we show that Bmpr2, a known receptor for bone morphogenetic proteins (Bmps), and Acvr2a, a known receptor for Bmps and activins, are individually redundant but together essential for multiple follicular ..
- Gamer L, Tsuji K, Cox K, Capelo L, Lowery J, Beppu H, et al. BMPR-II is dispensable for formation of the limb skeleton. Genesis. 2011;49:719-24 pubmed publisher..Three Type II BMP receptors have been identified; Acvr2a and Acvr2b serve as receptors for BMPs and for activin-like ligands whereas BMPR-II functions only as a BMP ..
- Coerver K, Woodruff T, Finegold M, Mather J, Bradley A, Matzuk M. Activin signaling through activin receptor type II causes the cachexia-like symptoms in inhibin-deficient mice. Mol Endocrinol. 1996;10:534-43 pubmed
- de Winter J, de Vries C, van Achterberg T, Ameerun R, Feijen A, Sugino H, et al. Truncated activin type II receptors inhibit bioactivity by the formation of heteromeric complexes with activin type I. receptors. Exp Cell Res. 1996;224:323-34 pubmed..Furthermore, our data indicate that truncated type IIA receptors can interact with other type I receptors and as such might inhibit signal transduction by type I receptors other than activin type IA and type IB receptors. ..
- Ihn H, Kim D, Oh S, Moon C, Chung J, Song H, et al. Identification of Acvr2a as a Th17 cell-specific gene induced during Th17 differentiation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:2138-41 pubmed..In this study, we found that activin receptor type-2A (Acvr2a) is a gene induced during the differentiation of this effector cell lineage as compared with naïve T cells...
- Kumar T, Agno J, Janovick J, Conn P, Matzuk M. Regulation of FSHbeta and GnRH receptor gene expression in activin receptor II knockout male mice. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;212:19-27 pubmed..in mediating FSH homeostasis, we used castrated knockout mice lacking either inhibin alpha or activin receptor II (ACVR2) alone or in combination...
- Dudas M, Kim J, Li W, Nagy A, Larsson J, Karlsson S, et al. Epithelial and ectomesenchymal role of the type I TGF-beta receptor ALK5 during facial morphogenesis and palatal fusion. Dev Biol. 2006;296:298-314 pubmed
- Mayeur C, Leyton P, Kolodziej S, Yu B, Bloch K. BMP type II receptors have redundant roles in the regulation of hepatic hepcidin gene expression and iron metabolism. Blood. 2014;124:2116-23 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BMP type II receptors, BMPR2 and ActR2a, have redundant roles in the regulation of hepatic hepcidin gene expression and iron metabolism. ..
- Kim S, Hebrok M, Li E, Oh S, Schrewe H, Harmon E, et al. Activin receptor patterning of foregut organogenesis. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1866-71 pubmed..Here, mutations of activin receptors ActRIIA and ActRIIB are shown to disrupt the development of posterior foregut-derived organs, including the stomach, ..
- van den Eijnden van Raaij A, Feijen A, Lawson K, Mummery C. Differential expression of inhibin subunits and follistatin, but not of activin receptor type II, during early murine embryonic development. Dev Biol. 1992;154:356-65 pubmed
- Wu T, Jih M, Wang L, Wan Y. Expression of activin receptor II and IIB mRNA isoforms in mouse reproductive organs and oocytes. Mol Reprod Dev. 1994;38:9-15 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Wang S, Huang H, Chen S, Li X, Zhang W, Tang Q. Gdf6 induces commitment of pluripotent mesenchymal C3H10T1/2 cells to the adipocyte lineage. FEBS J. 2013;280:2644-51 pubmed publisher..The type I receptor Bmpr1a and the type II receptors Bmpr2 and Acvr2a mediate the Gdf6 signaling pathway...
- Jeruss J, Santiago J, Woodruff T. Localization of activin and inhibin subunits, receptors and SMADs in the mouse mammary gland. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;203:185-96 pubmed..The expression of the activin receptors (ActRIIA, ActRIIB and ActRIB), the inhibin co-receptor (betaglycan), and ligand subunit (alpha, beta A and beta B), mRNA ..
- Lee S, Reed L, Davies M, Girgenrath S, Goad M, Tomkinson K, et al. Regulation of muscle growth by multiple ligands signaling through activin type II receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18117-22 pubmed..Finally, we provide genetic evidence that these ligands signal through both activin type II receptors, ACVR2 and ACVR2B, to regulate muscle growth in vivo.
- Goh B, Singhal V, Herrera A, Tomlinson R, Kim S, Faugere M, et al. Activin receptor type 2A (ACVR2A) functions directly in osteoblasts as a negative regulator of bone mass. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13809-13822 pubmed publisher..Immunohistochemistry localized ACVR2A and ACVR2B to osteoblasts and osteocytes...
- Bagarova J, Vonner A, Armstrong K, BÃ¶rgermann J, Lai C, Deng D, et al. Constitutively active ALK2 receptor mutants require type II receptor cooperation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2413-24 pubmed publisher..We found that ablation of BmpRII and ActRIIa abrogated BMP ligand-mediated and caALK2-mediated signaling and transcription in cells and disrupted caALK2-..
- Xiong J, Leahy A, Lee H, Stuhlmann H. Vezf1: A Zn finger transcription factor restricted to endothelial cells and their precursors. Dev Biol. 1999;206:123-41 pubmed..Thus, Vezf1 may play an important role in the endothelial lineage determination and may have an additional role during later stages of embryonic vasculogenesis and angiogenesis. ..
- Wang H, Larson M, Jablonka Shariff A, Pearl C, Miller W, Conn P, et al. Redirecting intracellular trafficking and the secretion pattern of FSH dramatically enhances ovarian function in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:5735-40 pubmed publisher..The approach to interconvert the secretory fate of proteins in vivo has pathophysiological significance, and could explain the etiology of several hormone hyperstimulation and resistance syndromes. ..
- Yu P, Beppu H, Kawai N, Li E, Bloch K. Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) type II receptor deletion reveals BMP ligand-specific gain of signaling in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:24443-50 pubmed..protein (BMP) ligands signal by binding the BMP type II receptor (BMPR2) or the activin type II receptors (ActRIIa and ActRIIb) in conjunction with type I receptors to activate SMADs 1, 5, and 8, as well as members of the ..
- Shoji H, Tsuchida K, Kishi H, Yamakawa N, Matsuzaki T, Liu Z, et al. Identification and characterization of a PDZ protein that interacts with activin type II receptors. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:5485-92 pubmedWe have identified a mouse PDZ protein that interacts with the activin type IIA receptor (ActRIIA), which we named activin receptor-interacting protein 1 (ARIP1)...
- Ma X, Reyna A, Mani S, Matzuk M, Kumar T. Impaired male sexual behavior in activin receptor type II knockout mice. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:1182-90 pubmed..Adult activin receptor type II null (Acvr2-/-) male mice display multiple reproductive behavioral deficits, including delayed initiation of copulation, ..
- Mathews L, Vale W. Expression cloning of an activin receptor, a predicted transmembrane serine kinase. Cell. 1991;65:973-82 pubmed..elegans daf-1 gene product, a putative transmembrane serine/threonine-specific protein kinase for which the ligand is not known. ..