Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acox1
Description: acyl-Coenzyme A oxidase 1, palmitoyl
Alias: AOX, Acox, D130055E20Rik, Paox, peroxisomal acyl-coenzyme A oxidase 1, palmitoyl-CoA oxidase, peroxisomal fatty acyl-coenzyme A oxidase, peroxisomal straight-chain Acyl-CoA oxidase
- Albrecht P, Torsell N, Krishnan P, Ehresman D, Frame S, Chang S, et al. A species difference in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ?-dependent response to the developmental effects of perfluorooctanoic acid. Toxicol Sci. 2013;131:568-82 pubmed publisher..Expression of mRNA encoding the PPAR? target genes acyl CoA oxidase (Acox1) and cytochrome P450 4a10 (Cyp4a10) in maternal and fetal liver was increased on GD18 in wild-type and PPAR?-..
- Infante J, Tschanz C, Shaw N, Michaud A, Lawrence P, Brenna J. Straight-chain acyl-CoA oxidase knockout mouse accumulates extremely long chain fatty acids from alpha-linolenic acid: evidence for runaway carousel-type enzyme kinetics in peroxisomal beta-oxidation diseases. Mol Genet Metab. 2002;75:108-19 pubmed..Straight-chain acyl-CoA oxidase (AOX) catalyzes the first, rate-limiting step of peroxisomal beta-oxidation of very-long-chain saturated and unsaturated ..
- Kim S, Marquard K, Stephens S, Louden E, Allsworth J, Moley K. Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in the mouse preimplantation embryo and uterus. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:82-95 pubmed publisher..PCR, mRNA transcripts for Adipoq, AdipoR1, AdipoR2, Ppara, Ppard, FATP1 (SLC27A1) and acyl CoA oxidase (Acox1) were identified in mouse 2-cell and 8-cell embryos, while blastocyst stage embryos and trophoblast stem (TS) ..
- Hashimoto T, Cook W, Qi C, Yeldandi A, Reddy J, Rao M. Defect in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-inducible fatty acid oxidation determines the severity of hepatic steatosis in response to fasting. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:28918-28 pubmed..of hepatic steatosis in mice deficient in PPARalpha (PPARalpha(-/-)), peroxisomal fatty acyl-CoA oxidase (AOX(-/-)), and in both PPARalpha and AOX (double knock-out (DKO))...
- Riordan J, Nadeau J. Modeling progressive non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the laboratory mouse. Mamm Genome. 2014;25:473-86 pubmed publisher..Additionally, an overview of nutritional models of progressive NAFLD is provided. ..
- Lehman J, Barger P, Kovacs A, Saffitz J, Medeiros D, Kelly D. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 promotes cardiac mitochondrial biogenesis. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:847-56 pubmed..These results identify PGC-1 as a critical regulatory molecule in the control of cardiac mitochondrial number and function in response to energy demands. ..
- Nohammer C, El Shabrawi Y, Schauer S, Hiden M, Berger J, Forss Petter S, et al. cDNA cloning and analysis of tissue-specific expression of mouse peroxisomal straight-chain acyl-CoA oxidase. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:1254-60 pubmed..Our data show that acyl-CoA oxidase is an evolutionary highly conserved enzyme with a distinct pattern of expression and indicate an important role in lipid metabolism. ..
- Baarine M, Andreoletti P, Athias A, Nury T, Zarrouk A, Ragot K, et al. Evidence of oxidative stress in very long chain fatty acid--treated oligodendrocytes and potentialization of ROS production using RNA interference-directed knockdown of ABCD1 and ACOX1 peroxisomal proteins. Neuroscience. 2012;213:1-18 pubmed publisher..ATP-binding cassette transporter D (ABCD1) and from single peroxisomal enzyme deficiency (Acyl-CoA oxidase1: ACOX1), respectively...
- Gao Q, Jia Y, Yang G, Zhang X, Boddu P, Petersen B, et al. PPARÎ±-Deficient ob/ob Obese Mice Become More Obese and Manifest Severe Hepatic Steatosis Due to Decreased Fatty Acid Oxidation. Am J Pathol. 2015;185:1396-408 pubmed publisher..However, it does not lead to liver tumor development because of reduction in FAO and energy burning. ..
- Sheridan R, Lampe K, Shanmukhappa S, Putnam P, Keddache M, Divanovic S, et al. Lampe1: an ENU-germline mutation causing spontaneous hepatosteatosis identified through targeted exon-enrichment and next-generation sequencing. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21979 pubmed publisher..whereas one mutation affected a splice donor site in intron 11-12 of Palmitoyl Acetyl-coenzyme A oxygenase-1 (Acox1), causing skipping of exon 12...
- Agbaga M, Mandal M, Anderson R. Retinal very long-chain PUFAs: new insights from studies on ELOVL4 protein. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1624-42 pubmed publisher..We focus on a novel elongase, ELOVL4, involved in the synthesis of VLC-PUFA, and the importance of these FAs in maintaining the structural and functional integrity of retinal photoreceptors. ..
- Li J, Viswanadha S, Loor J. Hepatic Metabolic, Inflammatory, and Stress-Related Gene Expression in Growing Mice Consuming a Low Dose of Trans-10, cis-12-Conjugated Linoleic Acid. J Lipids. 2012;2012:571281 pubmed publisher..of genes associated with VLDL assembly/secretion (Mttp, Cideb), ketogenesis (Hmgcs2, Bdh1), and LCFA oxidation (Acox1, Pdk4) in response to trans-10, cis-12-CLA...
- Lee J, Chu I, Mikaelyan A, Calvisi D, Heo J, Reddy J, et al. Application of comparative functional genomics to identify best-fit mouse models to study human cancer. Nat Genet. 2004;36:1306-11 pubmed..Gene expression patterns in HCCs from Acox1(-/-) mice and in ciprofibrate-induced HCCs were least similar to those observed in human HCCs...
- Huyghe S, Casteels M, Janssen A, Meulders L, Mannaerts G, Declercq P, et al. Prenatal and postnatal development of peroxisomal lipid-metabolizing pathways in the mouse. Biochem J. 2001;353:673-80 pubmed
- Berger J, Truppe C, Neumann H, Forss Petter S. cDNA cloning and mRNA distribution of a mouse very long-chain acyl-CoA synthetase. FEBS Lett. 1998;425:305-9 pubmed
- Guo D, Sarkar J, Suino Powell K, Xu Y, Matsumoto K, Jia Y, et al. Induction of nuclear translocation of constitutive androstane receptor by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha synthetic ligands in mouse liver. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36766-76 pubmed..These observations, therefore, provide information for the first time to indicate that PPARalpha ligands not only serve as PPARalpha agonists but possibly act as CAR antagonists. ..
- Nenicu A, Lüers G, Kovacs W, David M, Zimmer A, Bergmann M, et al. Peroxisomes in human and mouse testis: differential expression of peroxisomal proteins in germ cells and distinct somatic cell types of the testis. Biol Reprod. 2007;77:1060-72 pubmed..Our results suggest a cell type-specific metabolic function of peroxisomes in the testis and point to an important role for peroxisomes in spermiogenesis and in the lipid metabolism of Sertoli cells. ..
- Takeshita S, Moritani M, Kunika K, Inoue H, Itakura M. Diabetic modifier QTLs identified in F2 intercrosses between Akita and A/J mice. Mamm Genome. 2006;17:927-40 pubmed..Identification of the genes responsible for these QTLs would provide new drug development targets for human T2D. ..
- Cook W, Jain S, Jia Y, Cao W, Yeldandi A, Reddy J, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-responsive genes induced in the newborn but not prenatal liver of peroxisomal fatty acyl-CoA oxidase null mice. Exp Cell Res. 2001;268:70-6 pubmedMice deficient in fatty acyl-CoA oxidase (AOX(-/-)), the first enzyme of the peroxisomal beta-oxidation system, develop specific morphological and molecular changes in the liver characterized by microvesicular fatty change, increased ..
- Grabenbauer M, Fahimi H, Baumgart E. Detection of peroxisomal proteins and their mRNAs in serial sections of fetal and newborn mouse organs. J Histochem Cytochem. 2001;49:155-64 pubmed..the developmental changes in localization of the peroxisomal marker enzymes catalase (CAT) and acyl-CoA oxidase 1 (AOX), the key regulatory enzyme of peroxisomal beta-oxidation, at the protein and mRNA levels in mice from embryonic ..
- Bass N. Three for the price of one knockout--a mouse model of a congenital peroxisomal disorder, steatohepatitis, and hepatocarcinogenesis. Hepatology. 1999;29:606-8 pubmed
- Osmundsen H, Landin M, From S, Kolltveit K, Risnes S. Changes in gene-expression during development of the murine molar tooth germ. Arch Oral Biol. 2007;52:803-13 pubmed..Such data is therefore useful in directing attention towards genes, or cellular activities, which likely are worthy of further studies as regards their involvement in odontogenesis...
- Coulter A, Stephens J. STAT5 activators modulate acyl CoA oxidase (AOX) expression in adipocytes and STAT5A binds to the AOX promoter in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;344:1342-5 pubmed..We also identified seven putative STAT elements in the murine AOX promoter. We observed that GH modulates protein binding to the majority of these promoter elements...
- Abbott B, Wood C, Watkins A, Tatum Gibbs K, Das K, Lau C. Effects of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) on expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPAR) and nuclear receptor-regulated genes in fetal and postnatal CD-1 mouse tissues. Reprod Toxicol. 2012;33:491-505 pubmed publisher..The metabolic disruption produced by PFOA may contribute to poor postnatal survival and persistent weight deficits of CD-1 mouse neonates. ..
- Vluggens A, Andreoletti P, Viswakarma N, Jia Y, Matsumoto K, Kulik W, et al. Reversal of mouse Acyl-CoA oxidase 1 (ACOX1) null phenotype by human ACOX1b isoform [corrected]. Lab Invest. 2010;90:696-708 pubmed publisherDisruption of the peroxisomal acyl-CoA oxidase 1 (Acox1) gene in the mouse results in the development of severe microvesicular hepatic steatosis and sustained activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPARalpha)...
- Tzeng J, Byun J, Park J, Yamamoto T, Schesing K, Tian B, et al. An Ideal PPAR Response Element Bound to and Activated by PPARÎ±. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0134996 pubmed publisher..Taken altogether, the provided PPRE sequence definition contributes to the understanding of PPARÎ± signaling by identifying PPARÎ± direct target genes with functional PPARÎ± response elements. ..
- de Jong H, Neal A, Coleman R, Lewin T. Ontogeny of mRNA expression and activity of long-chain acyl-CoA synthetase (ACSL) isoforms in Mus musculus heart. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1771:75-82 pubmed..Our data support the hypothesis that each ACSL has a specific role in the channeling of FA towards distinct metabolic fates. ..
- Yubero P, Hondares E, Carmona M, Rossell M, Gonzalez F, Iglesias R, et al. The developmental regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha expression in the liver is partially dissociated from the control of gluconeogenesis and lipid catabolism. Endocrinology. 2004;145:4268-77 pubmed
- Yu S, Rao S, Reddy J. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors, fatty acid oxidation, steatohepatitis and hepatocarcinogenesis. Curr Mol Med. 2003;3:561-72 pubmed..Evidence from mice lacking fatty acyl-CoA oxidase (AOX), PPAR alpha and PPAR alpha/AOX has confirmed the role of PPAR alpha in the development of hepatocellular ..
- Berger J, Albet S, Bentejac M, Netik A, Holzinger A, Roscher A, et al. The four murine peroxisomal ABC-transporter genes differ in constitutive, inducible and developmental expression. Eur J Biochem. 1999;265:719-27 pubmed..The mouse ALDR gene uses a single transcription start site but alternative polyadenylation sites. These data are of importance for the use of ALDP-deficient mice as a model in pharmacological gene therapy studies...
- Janssen A, Gressens P, Grabenbauer M, Baumgart E, Schad A, Vanhorebeek I, et al. Neuronal migration depends on intact peroxisomal function in brain and in extraneuronal tissues. J Neurosci. 2003;23:9732-41 pubmed
- Banks A, Kim Muller J, Mastracci T, Kofler N, Qiang L, Haeusler R, et al. Dissociation of the glucose and lipid regulatory functions of FoxO1 by targeted knockin of acetylation-defective alleles in mice. Cell Metab. 2011;14:587-97 pubmed publisher..Thus, acetylation inactivates FoxO1 during nutrient excess whereas deacetylation selectively potentiates FoxO1 activity, protecting against excessive catabolism during nutrient deprivation. ..