Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ZFP57
Description: ZFP57 zinc finger protein
Alias: C6orf40, TNDM1, ZNF698, bA145L22, bA145L22.2, zfp-57, zinc finger protein 57 homolog, zinc finger protein 698
- A maternal-zygotic effect gene, Zfp57, maintains both maternal and paternal imprintsXiajun Li
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Cell 15:547-57. 2008..We generated a knockout mouse in the Zfp57 locus encoding a KRAB zinc finger protein...
- Hypomethylation of multiple imprinted loci in individuals with transient neonatal diabetes is associated with mutations in ZFP57Deborah J G Mackay
Division of Human Genetics, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Nat Genet 40:949-51. 2008..We now report mutations in ZFP57, which encodes a zinc-finger transcription factor expressed in early development, in seven pedigrees with a shared ..
- Identification and characterization of ZFP-57, a novel zinc finger transcription factor in the mammalian peripheral nervous systemMaria B Duran Alonso
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:25653-64. 2004..Zfp-57 mRNA is up-regulated in Schwann cells in response to leukemia inhibitory factor and fibroblast growth factor 2...
- Transient neonatal diabetes, ZFP57, and hypomethylation of multiple imprinted loci: a detailed follow-upSusanne E Boonen
Center for Applied Human Molecular Genetics, The Kennedy Center, Glostrup, Denmark
Diabetes Care 36:505-12. 2013..Approximately 5% of the cases are due to recessive ZFP57 mutations, causing hypomethylation at the TNDM locus and other imprinted loci (HIL)...
- An atomic model of Zfp57 recognition of CpG methylation within a specific DNA sequenceYiwei Liu
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Genes Dev 26:2374-9. 2012Zinc finger transcription factor Zfp57 recognizes the methylated CpG within the TGCCGC element...
- Should I stay or should I go: protection and maintenance of DNA methylation at imprinted genesDaniel M Messerschmidt
Mammalian Development Group, Institute of Medical Biology, Singapore
Epigenetics 7:969-75. 2012..in preimplantation embryos have been identified, in particular, an epigenetic modifier complex formed by ZFP57 and TRIM28/KAP1...
- DNA recognition of 5-carboxylcytosine by a zfp57 mutant at an atomic resolution of 0.97 ÅYiwei Liu
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University School of Medicine, 1510 Clifton Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, United States
Biochemistry 52:9310-7. 2013The Zfp57 gene encodes a KRAB (Krüppel-associated box) domain-containing C2H2 zinc finger transcription factor that is expressed in early development...
- Proteins involved in establishment and maintenance of imprinted methylation marksRuslan Strogantsev
Department of Physiology Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Site, Cambridge, CB2 3EG, UK
Brief Funct Genomics 11:227-39. 2012..Specifically, we discuss the recent findings of a critical role played by a KRAB zinc-finger protein ZFP57 and its co-factor KAP1/TRIM28 in mediating both processes.
- Nanog regulates molecules involved in stemness and cell cycle-signaling pathway for maintenance of pluripotency of P19 embryonal carcinoma stem cellsSeung Cheol Choi
Cardiovascular Center, Department of Cardiology, Korea University Anam Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Cell Physiol 227:3678-92. 2012..However, expressions of pluripotency markers Cripto, germ cell nuclear factor, Sox2, and Zfp57 as well as leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF)/Stat3 pathway molecules LIF, IL6st, and Stat3 were not affected after ..
- Estrus synchronization and ovarian hyper-stimulation treatments have negligible effects on cumulus oocyte complex gene expression whereas induction of ovulation causes major expression changesCansu Agca
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 80:102-17. 2013..Ccnb1ip1, and Zp3); maternal effect genes required for embryo development (Zar1, Npm2, Nlrp5, Dnmt1, H1foo, and Zfp57); amino acid degradation; and ketogenesis (Hmgcs2, and Cpt1b)...
- Genomic imprinting is a parental effect established in mammalian germ cellsXiajun Li
Black Family Stem Cell Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
Curr Top Dev Biol 102:35-59. 2013..Maintenance of the DNA methylation imprint is dependent on two distinct maternal effect genes (Zfp57 and PGC7/Stella)...
- On how mammalian transcription factors recognize methylated DNABethany A Buck-Koehntop
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Epigenetics 8:131-7. 2013..puzzle has been recently revealed by the structural resolution of two different zinc finger proteins, Kaiso and ZFP57, in complex with methylated DNA...
- Genome-wide allelic methylation analysis reveals disease-specific susceptibility to multiple methylation defects in imprinting syndromesFranck Court
Imprinting and Cancer Group, Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program PEBC, Bellvitge Institute for Biomedical Research IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Hum Mutat 34:595-602. 2013..A mutation analysis identified a 1 bp deletion in the ZFP57 gene in a TNDM patient with methylation defects at multiple maternal DMRs...
- Genetic and epigenetic mutations affect the DNA binding capability of human ZFP57 in transient neonatal diabetes type 1Ilaria Baglivo
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Ambientali, Biologiche e Farmaceutiche, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, Via Vivaldi 43, 81100 Caserta, Italy
FEBS Lett 587:1474-81. 2013In the mouse, ZFP57 contains three classical Cys2His2 zinc finger domains (ZF) and recognizes the methylated TGC(met)CGC target sequence using the first and the second ZFs...
- Transient neonatal diabetes mellitus in a Turkish patient with three novel homozygous variants in the ZFP57 geneMehmet Boyraz
Sisli Etfal Education and Research Hospital, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 5:125-8. 2013..patient with NDM caused by a loss of methylation at chromosome 6q24 and three novel homozygous mutations in the ZFP57 gene, methylation-specific PCR was carried out at 6q24 and mutation analysis of ZFP57 gene was maintained by ..
- Genes, assisted reproductive technology and trans-illuminationRenuka P Dias
Centre for Rare Diseases and Personalised Medicine, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Epigenomics 5:331-40. 2013..g., mutations in KHDC3L [C6ORF221], NLRP2 [NALP2], NLRP7 [NALP7] and ZFP57) and environmental (assisted reproductive technologies) factors that can disturb the normal trans mechanisms for ..
- Dynamics of imprinted DNA methylation and gene transcription for imprinting establishment in mouse oocytes in relation to culture duration variabilityEllen Anckaert
Follicle Biology Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Biol Reprod 89:130. 2013..for genes previously shown to be essential for imprinting establishment in oocytes, including Dnmt3a, Dnmt3L, and Zfp57. Oocyte total mRNA levels during in vitro follicle culture showed the timely shutdown in transcription at the ..
- Zinc finger protein ZFP57 requires its co-factor to recruit DNA methyltransferases and maintains DNA methylation imprint in embryonic stem cells via its transcriptional repression domainXiaopan Zuo
Black Family Stem Cell Institute, Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 287:2107-18. 2012Previously, we discovered that ZFP57 is a maternal-zygotic effect gene, and it maintains DNA methylation genomic imprint at multiple imprinted regions in mouse embryos...
- In embryonic stem cells, ZFP57/KAP1 recognize a methylated hexanucleotide to affect chromatin and DNA methylation of imprinting control regionsSimon Quenneville
School of Life Sciences and Frontiers in Genetics Program, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Mol Cell 44:361-72. 2011..Here, we reveal that ZFP57, its cofactor KAP1, and associated effectors bind selectively to the H3K9me3-bearing, DNA-methylated allele of ..
- ZFP57: KAPturing DNA Methylation at Imprinted LociFolami Y Ideraabdullah
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 415 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cell 44:341-2. 2011In this issue of Molecular Cell, Quenneville et al. (2011) characterize the role of ZFP57 in the maintenance of DNA methylation at imprinting control regions (ICRs), revealing an allele-specific binding pattern, binding motif, and ..
- Jmjd1a and Jmjd2c histone H3 Lys 9 demethylases regulate self-renewal in embryonic stem cellsYuin Han Loh
Gene Regulation Laboratory, Genome Institute of Singapore, Singapore 138672
Genes Dev 21:2545-57. 2007..Jmjd1a demethylates H3K9Me2 at the promoter regions of Tcl1, Tcfcp2l1, and Zfp57 and positively regulates the expression of these pluripotency-associated genes...
- A KRAB domain zinc finger protein in imprinting and diseaseRyutaro Hirasawa
Institute of Molecular Genetics, CNRS and University of Montpellier, 1919 Route de Mende, 34293 Montpellier, France
Dev Cell 15:487-8. 2008..Li et al. (2008) show in this issue of Developmental Cell that the KRAB zinc finger protein Zfp57 contributes to the embryonic maintenance of these imprints...
- DNA hypomethylation, transient neonatal diabetes, and prune belly sequence in one of two identical twinsLene Bjerke Laborie
Department of Pediatrics, Haukeland University Hospital, 5021 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Pediatr 169:207-13. 2010..Microsatellite marker analysis confirmed the twins being monozygotic. We identified no mutations in ZFP57, KCNJ11, ABCC8, GCK, HNF1A, HNF1B, HNF3B, IPF1, PAX4, or ZIC3...
- Screening for genomic variants in ZFP57 in Silver-Russell syndrome patients with 11p15 epimutationsSabrina Spengler
Institute of Human Genetics, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Eur J Med Genet 52:415-6. 2009..In >38% of SRS cases a hypomethylation of the H19/IGF2 DMR in 11p15 can be detected. Recently, ZFP57 mutations have been identified as a cause of hypomethylation of multiple imprinted loci...
- Extending the maternal-zygotic effect with genomic imprintingXiajun Li
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Black Family Stem Cell Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mol Hum Reprod 16:695-703. 2010..The molecular mechanisms underlying genomic imprinting are poorly understood. Mouse Zfp57 is the first example of a mammalian maternal-zygotic effect gene and it exhibits maternal-zygotic embryonic ..
- The effect of single nucleotide polymorphisms from genome wide association studies in multiple sclerosis on gene expressionAdam E Handel
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e10142. 2010..We investigated whether these genetic variations were associated with alteration in gene expression...
- Identification by gene coregulation mapping of novel genes involved in embryonic stem cell differentiationJeroen L A Pennings
Laboratory for Health Protection Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Stem Cells Dev 20:115-26. 2011..For 6 of these genes (Apobec2, Cth, Ptges, Rrad, Zfp57, and 2410146L05Rik), literature data on mouse knockout phenotypes support their putative function...
- Silver-Russell patients showing a broad range of ICR1 and ICR2 hypomethylation in different tissuesM Begemann
Institute of Human Genetics, RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Clin Genet 80:83-8. 2011..mutation screening of several factors involved in establishment and maintenance of methylation marks including ZFP57, MBD3, DNMT1 and DNMT3L the molecular clue for the ICR1/ICR2 hypomethylation in our patients remained unclear...
- Transient neonatal diabetes mellitus type 1Deborah J G Mackay
University of Southampton, UK
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 154:335-42. 2010..genes throughout the genome, and the majority of these patients have mutations in the transcription factor ZFP57. TNDM1 with maternal hypomethylation has also been observed in patients conceived by assisted reproduction, and in ..
- 6q24 transient neonatal diabetesI Karen Temple
Academic Unit of Genetic Medicine, Princess Anne Hospital, Coxford Road, Southampton, SO16 5YA, UK
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 11:199-204. 2010..In some individuals, diabetes may be the initial presentation of a more complex imprinting disorder due to recessive mutations in the gene ZFP57 and may be associated with other developmental problems.
- Pervasive haplotypic variation in the spliceo-transcriptome of the human major histocompatibility complexClaire Vandiedonck
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Genome Res 21:1042-54. 2011..4%), most significantly the zing finger protein gene ZFP57. Differentially expressed probes are correlated with polymorphisms between haplotypes, consistent with cis effects ..
- No evidence for pathogenic variants or maternal effect of ZFP57 as the cause of Beckwith-Wiedemann SyndromeSusanne E Boonen
Center for Applied Human Molecular Genetics, The Kennedy Center, Glostrup, Denmark
Eur J Hum Genet 20:119-21. 2012..5. The underlying defect of this hypomethylation is largely unknown. Recently, recessive mutations of the ZFP57 gene were reported in patients with transient neonatal diabetes mellitus type 1, showing hypomethylation at ..
- A novel nuclear protein with zinc fingers down-regulated during early mammalian cell differentiationS Okazaki
Department of Biochemistry, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:6900-7. 1994..Immunocytochemical analysis revealed that this protein is localized in the nucleus. These findings suggest that the Zfp-57 protein is a DNA-binding protein...
- Genome-wide association study reveals multiple nasopharyngeal carcinoma-associated loci within the HLA region at chromosome 6p21.3Ka Po Tse
Genomic Medicine Core, Chang Gung Molecular Medicine Research Center, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Hum Genet 85:194-203. 2009..3 are associated with NPC. Although some of these relationships may be attributed to linkage disequilibrium between the loci, the findings clearly provide a fresh direction for the study of NPC development...
- Acquisition and maintenance of DNA methylation in genomic imprintingXiajun Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our preliminary results indicate that ZFP57 appears to be required for cardiovascular development...