Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ZBTB7B
Description: zinc finger and BTB domain containing 7B
Alias: CKROX, THPOK, ZBTB15, ZFP-67, ZFP67, ZNF857B, c-KROX, hcKROX, zinc finger and BTB domain-containing protein 7B, T-helper-inducing POZ/Krueppel-like factor, krueppel-related zinc finger protein cKrox, zinc finger and BTB domain containing 15, zinc finger protein 67 homolog, zinc finger protein 857B, zinc finger protein Th-POK
- Ellmeier W. Molecular control of CD4(+) T cell lineage plasticity and integrity. Int Immunopharmacol. 2015;28:813-7 pubmed publisher..CD4(+) cytotoxic T lymphocytes that lack the expression of the key helper T cell lineage commitment factor ThPOK. Moreover, the analysis of mice with a conditional deletion of the transcription factor ThPOK or the histone ..
- Overgaard N, Jung J, Steptoe R, Wells J. CD4+/CD8+ double-positive T cells: more than just a developmental stage?. J Leukoc Biol. 2015;97:31-8 pubmed publisher..of CD4 and CD8 is regulated by a very strict transcriptional program involving the transcription factors Runx3 and ThPOK. Initially thought to be mutually exclusive within CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells, CD4(+)/CD8(+) T cell populations, ..
- Stratigi K, Kapsetaki M, Aivaliotis M, Town T, Flavell R, Spilianakis C. Spatial proximity of homologous alleles and long noncoding RNAs regulate a switch in allelic gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E1577-86 pubmed publisher..alleles depended on pyruvate kinase muscle isoform 2 (PKM2) and T-helper-inducing POZ-KrÃ¼ppel-like factor (ThPOK)...
- Carpenter A, Grainger J, Xiong Y, Kanno Y, Chu H, Wang L, et al. The transcription factors Thpok and LRF are necessary and partly redundant for T helper cell differentiation. Immunity. 2012;37:622-33 pubmed publisher..Here, we showed that the two transcription factors Thpok and LRF share this function...
- Wang L, Carr T, Xiong Y, Wildt K, Zhu J, Feigenbaum L, et al. The sequential activity of Gata3 and Thpok is required for the differentiation of CD1d-restricted CD4+ NKT cells. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2385-90 pubmed publisher..We previously showed that the sequential activity of two zinc finger transcription factors, Gata3 and Thpok, promotes the differentiation of conventional, MHC II-restricted thymocytes into CD4(+) T cells...
- Mucida D, Husain M, Muroi S, van Wijk F, Shinnakasu R, Naoe Y, et al. Transcriptional reprogramming of mature CD4? helper T cells generates distinct MHC class II-restricted cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:281-9 pubmed publisher..This functional dichotomy is controlled by key transcription factors, including the helper T cell master regulator ThPOK, which suppresses the cytolytic program in major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II-restricted CD4(+) ..
- Nikopoulou C, Panagopoulos G, Sianidis G, Psarra E, Ford E, Thanos D. The Transcription Factor ThPOK Orchestrates Stochastic Interchromosomal Interactions Required for IFNB1 Virus-Inducible Gene Expression. Mol Cell. 2018;71:352-361.e5 pubmed publisher..We show that the transcription factor ThPOK binds cooperatively with NF-κB to NRCs and mediates their physical proximity with the IFNB1 gene via its ability ..
- Taniuchi I. CD4 Helper and CD8 Cytotoxic T Cell Differentiation. Annu Rev Immunol. 2018;36:579-601 pubmed publisher..The key transcription factors ThPOK and Runx3 have been identified as mediating development of helper and cytotoxic T cell lineages, respectively...
- Xing S, Shao P, Li F, Zhao X, Seo W, Wheat J, et al. Tle corepressors are differentially partitioned to instruct CD8+ T cell lineage choice and identity. J Exp Med. 2018;215:2211-2226 pubmed publisher..T cells showed aberrant up-regulation of CD4+ lineage-associated genes including Cd4, Thpok, St8sia6, and Foxp3 Mechanistically, Tle3 bound to Runx-occupied Thpok silencer, in post-..
- Rupp L, Brady B, Carpenter A, De Obaldia M, Bhandoola A, Bosselut R, et al. The microRNA biogenesis machinery modulates lineage commitment during Î±Î² T cell development. J Immunol. 2014;193:4032-42 pubmed publisher..T cells show impaired Cd8 silencing and impaired induction of the CD4 lineage-specifying transcription factor Thpok. Finally, we show that the Drosha RNA endonuclease, which functions upstream of Dicer in microRNA biogenesis, also ..
- Seo W, Tanaka H, Miyamoto C, Levanon D, Groner Y, Taniuchi I. Roles of VWRPY motif-mediated gene repression by Runx proteins during T-cell development. Immunol Cell Biol. 2012;90:827-30 pubmed publisher..For instance, lineage- and stage-specific expression of Cd4 and ThPOK is controlled by a transcriptional silencer embedded in each locus, whose activity requires bindings of Runx ..
- Kimura M, Thomas J, Tai X, Guinter T, Shinzawa M, Etzensperger R, et al. Timing and duration of MHC I positive selection signals are adjusted in the thymus to prevent lineage errors. Nat Immunol. 2016;17:1415-1423 pubmed publisher..not occur except when MHC I-TCR signaling was so prolonged that the CD4-lineage-specifying transcription factor ThPOK was expressed, preventing Runx3d induction...
- Turcot V, Lu Y, Highland H, Schurmann C, Justice A, Fine R, et al. Protein-altering variants associated with body mass index implicate pathways that control energy intake and expenditure in obesity. Nat Genet. 2018;50:26-41 pubmed publisher..We identified 14 coding variants in 13 genes, of which 8 variants were in genes (ZBTB7B, ACHE, RAPGEF3, RAB21, ZFHX3, ENTPD6, ZFR2 and ZNF169) newly implicated in human obesity, 2 variants were in genes ..
- Taniuchi I. Views on helper/cytotoxic lineage choice from a bottom-up approach. Immunol Rev. 2016;271:98-113 pubmed publisher..For instance, identification of two transcription factors, ThPOK and Runx3, which play central roles in the development of helper and cytotoxic lineages, respectively, provided ..
- Zhu L, Feng H, Jin S, Tan M, Gao S, Zhuang H, et al. High expressions of BCL6 and Lewis y antigen are correlated with high tumor burden and poor prognosis in epithelial ovarian cancer. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317711655 pubmed publisher..four upregulated genes ( SOCS3, STAT1, PPARG, and GADD45A) and three downregulated genes ( ACAN, E2F3, and ZBTB7B)...
- Maeda T. Regulation of hematopoietic development by ZBTB transcription factors. Int J Hematol. 2016;104:310-23 pubmed publisher..ZBTB proteins, including BCL6, PLZF, ThPOK and LRF, exhibit a broad spectrum of functions in normal and malignant hematopoiesis...
- Kakugawa K, Kojo S, Tanaka H, Seo W, Endo T, Kitagawa Y, et al. Essential Roles of SATB1 in Specifying T Lymphocyte Subsets. Cell Rep. 2017;19:1176-1188 pubmed publisher..by MHC class I and II induces thymocytes to acquire cytotoxic and helper fates via the induction of Runx3 and ThPOK transcription factors, respectively...
- Mittal P, Abblett R, Ryan J, Hagymasi A, Agyekum Yamoah A, Svedova J, et al. An Immunotherapeutic CD137 Agonist Releases Eomesodermin from ThPOK Repression in CD4 T Cells. J Immunol. 2018;200:1513-1526 pubmed publisher..in standard CD4 Th1 cells where it fosters IFN-γ expression; however, the CD4 T cell lineage commitment factor ThPOK represses transcription of Eomes and other CD8 lineage genes, such as Cd8a Hence, CD4 T cells can ..
- Zhang R, Ma H, Gao Y, Wu Y, Qiao Y, Geng A, et al. Th-POK regulates mammary gland lactation through mTOR-SREBP pathway. PLoS Genet. 2018;14:e1007211 pubmed publisherThe Th-inducing POK (Th-POK, also known as ZBTB7B or cKrox) transcription factor is a key regulator of lineage commitment of immature T cell precursors...
- Vacchio M, Bosselut R. What Happens in the Thymus Does Not Stay in the Thymus: How T Cells Recycle the CD4+-CD8+ Lineage Commitment Transcriptional Circuitry To Control Their Function. J Immunol. 2016;196:4848-56 pubmed publisher..of epigenetic control of Cd4 expression and emphasize how maintaining a transcriptional circuitry nucleated around Thpok and Runx proteins, the key architects of CD4(+)-CD8(+) lineage commitment in the thymus, is critical for CD4(+) T ..
- Tsagaratou A, González Avalos E, Rautio S, Scott Browne J, Togher S, Pastor W, et al. TET proteins regulate the lineage specification and TCR-mediated expansion of iNKT cells. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:45-53 pubmed publisher..increased DNA methylation and impaired expression of genes encoding the key lineage-specifying factors T-bet and ThPOK. Transfer of purified Tet2-Tet3 DKO iNKT cells into immunocompetent recipient mice resulted in an uncontrolled ..
- Sujino T, London M, Hoytema van Konijnenburg D, Rendon T, Buch T, Silva H, et al. Tissue adaptation of regulatory and intraepithelial CD4? T cells controls gut inflammation. Science. 2016;352:1581-6 pubmed publisher..to CD4(IELs) in a microbiota-dependent manner, an effect attributed to the loss of the transcription factor ThPOK. Finally, we demonstrate that pT(regs) and CD4(IELs) perform complementary roles in the regulation of intestinal ..
- Lee H, He X, Mookerjee Basu J, Zhongping D, Hua X, Nicolas E, et al. Disregulated expression of the transcription factor ThPOK during T-cell development leads to high incidence of T-cell lymphomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:7773-8 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor T-helper-inducing POZ/Krueppel-like factor (ThPOK, encoded by the Zbtb7b gene) plays widespread and critical roles in T-cell development, particularly as the master regulator of CD4 commitment...
- Sakaguchi S, Hainberger D, Tizian C, Tanaka H, Okuda T, Taniuchi I, et al. MAZR and Runx Factors Synergistically Repress ThPOK during CD8+ T Cell Lineage Development. J Immunol. 2015;195:2879-87 pubmed publisherTh-inducing Pox virus and zinc finger/KrÃ¼ppel-like factor (ThPOK) is a key commitment factor for CD4(+) lineage T cells and is essential for the maintenance of CD4 lineage integrity; thus, the expression of ThPOK has to be tightly ..
- Beauchef G, Bigot N, Kypriotou M, Renard E, Porée B, Widom R, et al. The p65 subunit of NF-?B inhibits COL1A1 gene transcription in human dermal and scleroderma fibroblasts through its recruitment on promoter by protein interaction with transcriptional activators (c-Krox, Sp1, and Sp3). J Biol Chem. 2012;287:3462-78 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings highlight a new mechanism for COL1A1 transcriptional regulation by NF-?B, and these data could allow the development of new antifibrotic strategies. ..
- Mariani F, Sena P, Pedroni M, Benatti P, Manni P, Di Gregorio C, et al. Th inducing POZ-Kruppel Factor (ThPOK) is a key regulator of the immune response since the early steps of colorectal carcinogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54488 pubmed publisherWe purposed to evaluate the role of Th inducing POZ-Kruppel Factor (ThPOK), a transcriptional regulator of T cell fate, in tumour-induced immune system plasticity in colorectal carcinogenesis...
- Egawa T. Runx and ThPOK: a balancing act to regulate thymocyte lineage commitment. J Cell Biochem. 2009;107:1037-45 pubmed publisher..factors, particularly Runx3, is essential for the generation of cytotoxic lineage T cells, whereas the ThPOK zinc finger transcription factor that plays a crucial role in the differentiation of the helper lineage...
- Kappes D. Expanding roles for ThPOK in thymic development. Immunol Rev. 2010;238:182-94 pubmed publisherThe role of the zinc finger transcription factor ThPOK (T-helper-inducing POZ-Kruppel-like factor) in promoting commitment of ?? T cells to the CD4 lineage is now well established...
- Galera P, Musso M, Ducy P, Karsenty G. c-Krox, a transcriptional regulator of type I collagen gene expression, is preferentially expressed in skin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:9372-6 pubmed
- Rui J, Liu H, Zhu X, Cui Y, Liu X. Epigenetic silencing of CD8 genes by ThPOK-mediated deacetylation during CD4 T cell differentiation. J Immunol. 2012;189:1380-90 pubmed publisher..In this study, we report that, by directly binding the CD8 locus, ThPOK works as a negative regulator that mediates the deacetylation of Cd8 genes and repositions the CD8 alleles close ..
- Shamsul Alam M. Identification of important regulatory region of Th-POK. J Med Invest. 2010;57:219-23 pubmed..These data suggest that the 22 bp element might positively regulate Th-POK expression through Erk-SAP-1 signaling. ..
- Kypriotou M, Beauchef G, Chadjichristos C, Widom R, Renard E, Jimenez S, et al. Human collagen Krox up-regulates type I collagen expression in normal and scleroderma fibroblasts through interaction with Sp1 and Sp3 transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:32000-14 pubmed
- Kojo S, Tanaka H, Endo T, Muroi S, Liu Y, Seo W, et al. Priming of lineage-specifying genes by Bcl11b is required for lineage choice in post-selection thymocytes. Nat Commun. 2017;8:702 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Bcl11b, known as a T-lineage commitment factor, is essential for proper expression of ThPOK and Runx3, central regulators for the CD4-helper/CD8-cytotoxic lineage choice...
- van der Valk R, Kreiner MÃ¸ller E, Kooijman M, Guxens M, Stergiakouli E, SÃ¤Ã¤f A, et al. A novel common variant in DCST2 is associated with length in early life and height in adulthood. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:1155-68 pubmed publisher..This study highlights that common variation in DCST2 influences variation in early growth and adult height. ..
- Tsuchiya Y, Naito T, Tenno M, Maruyama M, Koseki H, Taniuchi I, et al. ThPOK represses CXXC5, which induces methylation of histone H3 lysine 9 in Cd40lg promoter by association with SUV39H1: implications in repression of CD40L expression in CD8+ cytotoxic T cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2016;100:327-38 pubmed publisher..As the transcription factor Th-inducing pox virus and zinc finger/Kruppel-like factor (encoded by the Zbtb7b gene) is critical in Th cell development, we focused on the role of Th-inducing pox virus and zinc finger/Kruppel-..
- Muroi S, Tanaka H, Miyamoto C, Taniuchi I. Cutting edge: fine-tuning of Thpok gene activation by an enhancer in close proximity to its own silencer. J Immunol. 2013;190:1397-401 pubmed publisher..MHC class II-selected thymocytes toward the CD4(+) helper lineage depends on function of the transcription factor ThPOK, whose expression is repressed in CD8(+) cytotoxic lineage cells by a transcriptional silencer activity within the ..
- Widom R, Culic I, Lee J, Korn J. Cloning and characterization of hcKrox, a transcriptional regulator of extracellular matrix gene expression. Gene. 1997;198:407-20 pubmed..Transient transfection assays indicate that hcKrox represses transcription of the alpha1(I) procollagen promoter, and electrophoretic mobility shift assays ..
- Taniuchi I, Ellmeier W. Transcriptional and epigenetic regulation of CD4/CD8 lineage choice. Adv Immunol. 2011;110:71-110 pubmed publisher..However, studies initiated by the identification of ThPOK, a central transcription factor for helper T cell development, have offered another perspective on the cross-..
- Ciucci T, Vacchio M, Bosselut R. A STAT3-dependent transcriptional circuitry inhibits cytotoxic gene expression in T cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:13236-13241 pubmed publisher..Cytotoxic gene repression did not require the transcription factor Thpok, which in CD4+ T cells restrains Runx3 functions and cytotoxicity; and STAT3 restrained cytotoxic gene ..
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Rui J, Liu X. p300-mediated acetylation stabilizes the Th-inducing POK factor. J Immunol. 2010;185:3960-9 pubmed publisherThe lineage-specifying factor Th-inducing POK (ThPOK) directs the intrathymic differentiation of CD4 T cells...
- Tokunaga T, Hayashi A, Kadota Y, Shiono H, Inoue M, Sawabata N, et al. Regulation of Th-POK and Runx3 in T cell development in human thymoma. Autoimmunity. 2009;42:653-60 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CD4/CD8 lineage commitment dependent on Th-POK and Runx3 system seems to be working even in the neoplastic environment formed by human thymomas. ..
- Srivastava A, Kumar A, Mishra R. Vertebrate GAF/ThPOK: emerging functions in chromatin architecture and transcriptional regulation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2018;75:623-633 pubmed publisher..Recently, ThPOK/c-Krox was identified as its vertebrate homologue (vGAF), which has a basic domain structure similar to DmGAF and ..
- Chelbi S, Wilson M, Veillard A, Ingles S, Zhang J, Mondon F, et al. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms collaborate to control SERPINA3 expression and its association with placental diseases. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1968-78 pubmed publisher..that the promoter of SERPINA3 is transcriptionally activated by three transcription factors (TFs) (SP1, MZF1 and ZBTB7B), the level of induction being dependent on the rs1884082 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) located inside the ..
- Heegaard A, Gehron Robey P, Vogel W, Just W, Widom R, Schøller J, et al. Functional characterization of the human biglycan 5'-flanking DNA and binding of the transcription factor c-Krox. J Bone Miner Res. 1997;12:2050-60 pubmed..This is the first detection of c-Krox in bone cells, and it suggests that c-Krox, like another member of the Krox family, Krox-20, might play a regulatory role in bone. ..
- b>ThPOK is necessary for the differentiation of CD4+ helper T cells. Three new studies indicate that, unexpectedly, ThPOK is required only after initial specification to the CD4+ lineage.
- Chakravarti S, Godfrey D. Directing traffic on the NKT-cell highway: a key role for ThPOK. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2372-5 pubmed publisher..The transcription factors GATA3 and ThPOK regulate lineage commitment of conventional MHC class II-restricted CD4(+) T cells; however, their role in CD4/CD8 ..
- Naito T, Tanaka H, Naoe Y, Taniuchi I. Transcriptional control of T-cell development. Int Immunol. 2011;23:661-8 pubmed publisher..versus cytotoxic cells involves not only antagonistic interplay between Runx and T(h) inducing POZ-Kruppel factor (ThPOK) but also complex interactions between MAZR, Gata3 and Myb in the activation and silencing of genes such as Cd4 ..
- Gera R, Singh V, Mitra S, Sharma A, Singh A, Dasgupta A, et al. Arsenic exposure impels CD4 commitment in thymus and suppress T cell cytokine secretion by increasing regulatory T cells. Sci Rep. 2017;7:7140 pubmed publisher..Arsenic exposure promoted CD4 lineage commitment in a dose dependent manner supported by the expression of ThPOK in thymus...
- Li S, Mi L, Yu L, Yu Q, Liu T, Wang G, et al. Zbtb7b engages the long noncoding RNA Blnc1 to drive brown and beige fat development and thermogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E7111-E7120 pubmed publisher..factors and cofactors in thermogenic gene activation and identified zinc finger and BTB domain-containing 7b (Zbtb7b) as a potent driver of brown fat development and thermogenesis and cold-induced beige fat formation...
- Ghayor C, Herrouin J, Chadjichristos C, Ala Kokko L, Takigawa M, Pujol J, et al. Regulation of human COL2A1 gene expression in chondrocytes. Identification of C-Krox-responsive elements and modulation by phenotype alteration. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:27421-38 pubmed..These results suggest that C-Krox plays a major role in type II collagen expression and the chondrocyte phenotype modulation. ..
- Li Y, Tsun A, Gao Z, Han Z, Gao Y, Li Z, et al. 60-kDa Tat-interactive protein (TIP60) positively regulates Th-inducing POK (ThPOK)-mediated repression of eomesodermin in human CD4+ T cells. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:15537-46 pubmed publisherThe abundant expression of IFN? in Th-inducing POK (ThPOK)-deficient CD4(+) T cells requires the activation of Eomesodermin (Eomes); however, the underlying mechanism of this phenomenon remains unclear...
- Renard E, Chadjichristos C, Kypriotou M, Beauchef G, Bordat P, Dompmartin A, et al. Chondroitin sulphate decreases collagen synthesis in normal and scleroderma fibroblasts through a Smad-independent TGF-beta pathway--implication of C-Krox and Sp1. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:2836-47 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, our findings highlight a possible new role for CS and CSf as anti-fibrotic molecules and could help in elucidating the mechanisms of action by which CS and CSf exert their inhibitory effect on type I collagen synthesis. ..
- Carpenter A, Wohlfert E, Chopp L, Vacchio M, Nie J, Zhao Y, et al. Control of Regulatory T Cell Differentiation by the Transcription Factors Thpok and LRF. J Immunol. 2017;199:1716-1728 pubmed publisherThe CD4+ lineage-specific transcription factor Thpok is required for intrathymic CD4+ T cell differentiation and, together with its homolog LRF, supports CD4+ T cell helper effector responses...
- Cervantes Barragan L, Chai J, Tianero M, Di Luccia B, Ahern P, Merriman J, et al. Lactobacillus reuteri induces gut intraepithelial CD4+CD8Î±Î±+ T cells. Science. 2017;357:806-810 pubmed publisher..IELs), which originate from intestinal CD4+ T cells through down-regulation of the transcription factor Thpok and have regulatory functions...