Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ZBTB17
Description: zinc finger and BTB domain containing 17
Alias: MIZ-1, ZNF151, ZNF60, pHZ-67, zinc finger and BTB domain-containing protein 17, Myc-interacting Zn finger protein-1, zinc finger protein 151 (pHZ-67), zinc finger protein 60
- Basu S, Liu Q, Qiu Y, Dong F. Gfi-1 represses CDKN2B encoding p15INK4B through interaction with Miz-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1433-8 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a mechanism of transcriptional repression by Gfi-1 and may have important implications for understanding the roles of Gfi-1 in normal development and tumorigenesis. ..
- Ziegelbauer J, Shan B, Yager D, Larabell C, Hoffmann B, Tjian R. Transcription factor MIZ-1 is regulated via microtubule association. Mol Cell. 2001;8:339-49 pubmed..Thus, MIZ-1 appears to be regulated by association with microtubules and may activate gene transcription in response to changes in the cytoskeleton. ..
- Gordan J, Bertout J, Hu C, Diehl J, Simon M. HIF-2alpha promotes hypoxic cell proliferation by enhancing c-myc transcriptional activity. Cancer Cell. 2007;11:335-47 pubmed..Enhanced c-Myc activity likely contributes to HIF-2alpha-mediated neoplastic progression following loss of the VHL tumor suppressor and influences the behavior of hypoxic tumor cells. ..
- Brenner C, Deplus R, Didelot C, Loriot A, Viré E, De Smet C, et al. Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressor. EMBO J. 2005;24:336-46 pubmed..Furthermore, these findings suggest that targeting of DNA methyltransferases by transcription factors is a wide and general mechanism for the generation of specific DNA methylation patterns within a cell. ..
- Ikegaki N, Gotoh T, Kung B, Riceberg J, Kim D, Zhao H, et al. De novo identification of MIZ-1 (ZBTB17) encoding a MYC-interacting zinc-finger protein as a new favorable neuroblastoma gene. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:6001-9 pubmed..MIZ-1 is a new favorable neuroblastoma gene, which may directly or indirectly regulate the expression of other favorable neuroblastoma genes. ..
- Wu S, Cetinkaya C, Munoz Alonso M, von der Lehr N, Bahram F, Beuger V, et al. Myc represses differentiation-induced p21CIP1 expression via Miz-1-dependent interaction with the p21 core promoter. Oncogene. 2003;22:351-60 pubmed..In conclusion, repression of differentiation-induced p21 expression through Miz-1 may be an important mechanism by which Myc blocks differentiation. ..
- Villard E, Perret C, Gary F, Proust C, Dilanian G, Hengstenberg C, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies two loci associated with heart failure due to dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:1065-76 pubmed publisher..Our results show that rare mutations in BAG3 contribute to monogenic forms of the disease, while common variant(s) in the same gene are implicated in sporadic DCM. ..
- Stogios P, Cuesta Seijo J, Chen L, Pomroy N, Prive G. Insights into strand exchange in BTB domain dimers from the crystal structures of FAZF and Miz1. J Mol Biol. 2010;400:983-97 pubmed publisher..The differences in the N-termini seen in the FAZF and Miz1 BTB domains appear to be more recent developments in the structural evolution of the domain. ..
- Herkert B, Dwertmann A, Herold S, Abed M, Naud J, Finkernagel F, et al. The Arf tumor suppressor protein inhibits Miz1 to suppress cell adhesion and induce apoptosis. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:905-18 pubmed publisher..Our data point to a tumor-suppressive pathway that weakens cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in response to expression of Arf and that may thereby facilitate the elimination of cells harboring an oncogenic mutation. ..
- Ceballos E, Munoz Alonso M, Berwanger B, Acosta J, Hernandez R, Krause M, et al. Inhibitory effect of c-Myc on p53-induced apoptosis in leukemia cells. Microarray analysis reveals defective induction of p53 target genes and upregulation of chaperone genes. Oncogene. 2005;24:4559-71 pubmed..Our data suggest that elevated levels of Myc counteract p53 activity in human tumor cells that lack ARF. This mechanism could contribute to explain the c-Myc deregulation frequently found in cancer. ..
- Herold S, Hock A, Herkert B, Berns K, Mullenders J, Beijersbergen R, et al. Miz1 and HectH9 regulate the stability of the checkpoint protein, TopBP1. EMBO J. 2008;27:2851-61 pubmed publisher..Our data show that Miz1 and Myc affect the activity of the Atr checkpoint through their effect on TopBP1 chromatin association and stability. ..
- Stead M, Trinh C, Garnett J, Carr S, Baron A, Edwards T, et al. A beta-sheet interaction interface directs the tetramerisation of the Miz-1 POZ domain. J Mol Biol. 2007;373:820-6 pubmed
- Weber A, Marquardt J, Elzi D, Forster N, Starke S, Glaum A, et al. Zbtb4 represses transcription of P21CIP1 and controls the cellular response to p53 activation. EMBO J. 2008;27:1563-74 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Zbtb4 is a critical determinant of the cellular response to p53 activation and reinforce the notion that p21Cip1 can provide an essential survival signal in cells with activated p53. ..
- Akter J, Takatori A, Hossain M, Ozaki T, Nakazawa A, Ohira M, et al. Expression of NLRR3 orphan receptor gene is negatively regulated by MYCN and Miz-1, and its downregulation is associated with unfavorable outcome in neuroblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:6681-92 pubmed publisher..NLRR3 is a direct target of MYCN, which associates with Miz-1 and negatively regulates NLRR3 expression. NLRR3 may play a role in NBL differentiation and the survival of NBL patients by inversely correlating with MYCN amplification. ..
- Staller P, Peukert K, Kiermaier A, Seoane J, Lukas J, Karsunky H, et al. Repression of p15INK4b expression by Myc through association with Miz-1. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:392-9 pubmed..Alleles of c-myc that are unable to bind to Miz-1 fail to inhibit accumulation of p15INK4b messenger RNA in primary cells and are, as a consequence, deficient in immortalization. ..
- Iraci N, Diolaiti D, Papa A, Porro A, Valli E, Gherardi S, et al. A SP1/MIZ1/MYCN repression complex recruits HDAC1 at the TRKA and p75NTR promoters and affects neuroblastoma malignancy by inhibiting the cell response to NGF. Cancer Res. 2011;71:404-12 pubmed publisher..By directly connecting MYCN to the repression of TRKA and p75NTR, our findings establish a key pathway of clinical pathogenicity and aggressiveness in neuroblastoma. ..
- Peukert K, Staller P, Schneider A, Carmichael G, Hanel F, Eilers M. An alternative pathway for gene regulation by Myc. EMBO J. 1997;16:5672-86 pubmed..Our data suggest a model for how gene repression by Myc may occur in vivo. ..
- Wanzel M, Russ A, Kleine Kohlbrecher D, Colombo E, Pelicci P, Eilers M. A ribosomal protein L23-nucleophosmin circuit coordinates Mizl function with cell growth. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1051-61 pubmed..As L23 is encoded by a direct target gene of Myc, this regulatory circuit may provide a feedback mechanism that links translation of Myc target genes and cell growth to Miz1-dependent cell-cycle arrest. ..
- Patel J, McMahon S. BCL2 is a downstream effector of MIZ-1 essential for blocking c-MYC-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:5-13 pubmed..These data define a genetic pathway that helps to explain historical observations documenting cooperation between c-MYC and BCL2 overexpression in human cancer. ..
- Castro P, Verde N, LourenÃ§o T, MagalhÃ£es A, Tavares R, Bejarano E, et al. SIZ1-Dependent Post-Translational Modification by SUMO Modulates Sugar Signaling and Metabolism in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2015;56:2297-311 pubmed publisher..The Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SAP and Miz 1 (SIZ1) is the major SUMO conjugation enhancer in response to stress, and is implicated in several aspects of plant ..
- Wiese K, Walz S, von Eyss B, Wolf E, Athineos D, Sansom O, et al. The role of MIZ-1 in MYC-dependent tumorigenesis. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2013;3:a014290 pubmed publisher..The functional interaction of both proteins becomes apparent at oncogenic expression levels of MYC and association with MIZ-1 mediates both oncogenic functions of MYC as well as tumor-suppressive responses to oncogenic levels of MYC. ..
- Barrilleaux B, Burow D, Lockwood S, Yu A, Segal D, Knoepfler P. Miz-1 activates gene expression via a novel consensus DNA binding motif. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e101151 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that Miz-1 may be directed in vivo to the novel motif sequences we have identified, where it can recruit its specific binding partners to control gene expression and ultimately regulate cell fate. ..
- Kress T, Pellanda P, Pellegrinet L, Bianchi V, Nicoli P, Doni M, et al. Identification of MYC-Dependent Transcriptional Programs in Oncogene-Addicted Liver Tumors. Cancer Res. 2016;76:3463-72 pubmed publisher..tumorigenesis, were impaired in mice harboring a MYC mutant unable to associate with the corepressor protein MIZ1 (ZBTB17)...
- Esslinger U, Garnier S, Korniat A, Proust C, Kararigas G, Müller Nurasyid M, et al. Exome-wide association study reveals novel susceptibility genes to sporadic dilated cardiomyopathy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172995 pubmed publisher..We confirmed two previously identified associations with SNVs in BAG3 and ZBTB17 and discovered six novel DCM-associated loci (Q-value<0.01)...
- Sun Y, Wang J, Xu Y, Wang X, Yuan F, Liu H, et al. ZBTB17 loss-of-function mutation contributes to familial dilated cardiomyopathy. Heart Vessels. 2018;33:722-732 pubmed publisher..The present study was sought to investigate the association of a genetic variant in the ZBTB17 gene with DCM...
- Schneider A, Peukert K, Eilers M, Hanel F. Association of Myc with the zinc-finger protein Miz-1 defines a novel pathway for gene regulation by Myc. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 1997;224:137-46 pubmed..We have termed this protein Miz-1 (Myc-interacting zinc finger protein). Some of the properties of Miz-1 suggest that it may be involved in gene repression by Myc in vivo. ..
- Piluso D, Bilan P, Capone J. Host cell factor-1 interacts with and antagonizes transactivation by the cell cycle regulatory factor Miz-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:46799-808 pubmed
- Huang Y, Wang P, Chen H, Ding Y, Chen Y. Myc-interacting zinc-finger protein 1 positively regulates Wnt signalling by protecting Dishevelled from Dapper1-mediated degradation. Biochem J. 2015;466:499-509 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings establish a novel layer of Wnt signalling regulation via the MIZ1-Dpr1-Dvl axis. ..
- Lee C, Yang Y, Chen C, Liu J. Syk-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of mule promotes TNF-induced JNK activation and cell death. Oncogene. 2016;35:1988-95 pubmed publisher..Our data provides a missing link in TNF signaling pathway that leads to JNK activation and cell death. ..
- Fuhrmann D, Mernberger M, Nist A, Stiewe T, Elsässer H. Miz1 Controls Schwann Cell Proliferation via H3K36me2 Demethylase Kdm8 to Prevent Peripheral Nerve Demyelination. J Neurosci. 2018;38:858-877 pubmed publisher..and Zinc finger) domain of the transcription factor Miz1 (Myc-interacting zinc finger protein; encoded by Zbtb17) in mouse Schwann cells (Miz1?POZ) causes a neuropathy at 90 d after birth [postnatal day (P) 90]..
- Hervouet E, Vallette F, Cartron P. Dnmt3/transcription factor interactions as crucial players in targeted DNA methylation. Epigenetics. 2009;4:487-99 pubmed
- Liu J, Zhao Y, Eilers M, Lin A. Miz1 is a signal- and pathway-specific modulator or regulator (SMOR) that suppresses TNF-alpha-induced JNK1 activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18279-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that in addition to being a transcription factor Miz1 acts as a signal- and pathway-specific modulator or regulator that specifically regulates TNF-alpha-induced JNK1 activation and cell death. ..
- Berger P, Winn M, Miranti C. Miz1, a Novel Target of ING4, Can Drive Prostate Luminal Epithelial Cell Differentiation. Prostate. 2017;77:49-59 pubmed publisher..Miz1 is a newly identified ING4-induced target gene which can drive prostate luminal epithelial cell differentiation although it is not absolutely required. Prostate 77:49-59, 2017. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Alter Koltunoff M, Ehrlich S, Dror N, Azriel A, Eilers M, Hauser H, et al. Nramp1-mediated innate resistance to intraphagosomal pathogens is regulated by IRF-8, PU.1, and Miz-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44025-32 pubmed..Thus, our results explain in molecular terms the role of IRF-8 in conferring innate resistance to intracellular pathogens and point to its possible involvement in autoimmune diseases. ..
- Luo J, Zhang C, Wang C, Li L, Li C, Li Q, et al. Miz-1 promotes the proliferation of esophageal cancer cells via suppression of p21 and release of p21-arrested cyclin D1. Oncol Rep. 2016;35:3532-40 pubmed publisher..High expression of p21 and downregulation of cyclin D1 accompanied the knockdown of Miz-1. Our data demonstrated that esophageal cancer has a cell cycle arrest pathway via Miz-1, p21 and cyclin D1. ..
- Jeon B, Kim M, Yoon J, Kim M, An H, Noh H, et al. Two ZNF509 (ZBTB49) isoforms induce cell-cycle arrest by activating transcription of p21/CDKN1A and RB upon exposure to genotoxic stress. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:11447-61 pubmed publisher..Immunohistochemical analysis revealed that ZNF509 is highly expressed in normal epithelial cells, but was completely repressed in tumor tissues of the colon, lung and skin, indicating a possible role as a tumor suppressor. ..
- Tussie Luna M, Michel B, Hakre S, Roy A. The SUMO ubiquitin-protein isopeptide ligase family member Miz1/PIASxbeta /Siz2 is a transcriptional cofactor for TFII-I. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:43185-93 pubmed..Finally, ectopically expressed Miz1/mPIASxbeta augments the transcriptional activity of TFII-I and relieves the repression exerted by a mutant hMusTRD1/BEN that co-localized with TFII-I in the nucleus. ..
- Vo B, Wolf E, Kawauchi D, Gebhardt A, Rehg J, Finkelstein D, et al. The Interaction of Myc with Miz1 Defines Medulloblastoma Subgroup Identity. Cancer Cell. 2016;29:5-16 pubmed publisher..Target genes of Myc/Miz1 are repressed in human G3 MBs but not in other subgroups. Therefore, the Myc/Miz1 interaction is a defining hallmark of G3 MB development. ..
- Licchesi J, van Neste L, Tiwari V, Cope L, Lin X, Baylin S, et al. Transcriptional regulation of Wnt inhibitory factor-1 by Miz-1/c-Myc. Oncogene. 2010;29:5923-34 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal novel insights into c-Myc-mediated DNA methylation-dependent transcriptional silencing, a mechanism that might contribute to the dysregulation of Wnt signaling in cancer. ..
- Sakurai T, Itoh K, Higashitsuji H, Nagao T, Nonoguchi K, Chiba T, et al. A cleaved form of MAGE-A4 binds to Miz-1 and induces apoptosis in human cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:15505-14 pubmed..Furthermore, the finding that a C-terminal fragment with pro-apoptotic activity is generated from full-length MAGE-A4 after genotoxic stress in human cells suggests a novel function for MAGE-A4. ..
- Guo P, Zhao K, Dong X, Sun X, Dong J. Acetylation of KLF5 alters the assembly of p15 transcription factors in transforming growth factor-beta-mediated induction in epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:18184-93 pubmed publisher..Activation of TGFbeta recruits p300 to the KLF5-Smad complex to acetylate KLF5, and the complex with acetylated KLF5 binds to the Smad binding element and alters the binding of other factors to p15 promoter to induce its transcription. ..
- Tommerup N, Vissing H. Isolation and fine mapping of 16 novel human zinc finger-encoding cDNAs identify putative candidate genes for developmental and malignant disorders. Genomics. 1995;27:259-64 pubmed..deleted in solid tumors included ZNF132, 134, 135, 137, 154, and 155, all located on 19q13 (thyroid adenoma), and ZNF151, at 1p36.1-p36.2 (neuroblastoma, colon cancer, and other tumors)...
- Wu L, Wu H, Ma L, Sangiorgi F, Wu N, Bell J, et al. Miz1, a novel zinc finger transcription factor that interacts with Msx2 and enhances its affinity for DNA. Mech Dev. 1997;65:3-17 pubmed..The p148h mutation in Msx2 augments the Miz1 effect on Msx2 DNA binding, suggesting a reason why this mutation behaves in vivo as a dominant positive, and providing a potential explanation of the craniosynostosis phenotype. ..
- Tremblay C, BÃ©dard M, Bonin M, Lavigne P. Solution structure of the 13th C2H2 Zinc Finger of Miz-1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;473:471-5 pubmed publisher..The structure of ZF 1 to 10 have already been solved and characterized. Here, we present the structure of the synthetic Miz-1 ZF13 determined by 2D (1)H-(1)H NMR. ..
- Bédard M, Maltais L, Montagne M, Lavigne P. Miz-1 and Max compete to engage c-Myc: implication for the mechanism of inhibition of c-Myc transcriptional activity by Miz-1. Proteins. 2017;85:199-206 pubmed publisher..The implications of these observations for the mechanism of inhibition of c-Myc transcriptional activity by Miz-1 are discussed. Proteins 2017; 85:199-206. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- BÃ©dard M, Roy V, Montagne M, Lavigne P. Structural Insights into c-Myc-interacting Zinc Finger Protein-1 (Miz-1) Delineate Domains Required for DNA Scanning and Sequence-specific Binding. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:3323-3340 pubmed publisher..As discussed in detail, our findings support a general role of compact inter-ZF structures in minimizing the formation of off-target DNA complexes. ..
- Li X, Luo R, Mo X, Jiang R, Kong H, Hua W, et al. Polymorphism of ZBTB17 gene is associated with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: a case control study in a Han Chinese population. Eur J Med Res. 2013;18:10 pubmed publisher..the first sarcomeric gene whose mutation was shown to cause DCM; recent studies have indicated that the HSPB7 and ZBTB17 genes are also associated with DCM...
- Ivatt R, Sanchez Martinez A, Godena V, Brown S, Ziviani E, Whitworth A. Genome-wide RNAi screen identifies the Parkinson disease GWAS risk locus SREBF1 as a regulator of mitophagy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:8494-9 pubmed publisher..However, with the recent identification of SREBF1 as a risk locus for sporadic PD, our findings suggest a common mechanistic link between autosomal recessive and sporadic PD, and underscore the importance of mitochondrial homeostasis. ..
- Marcotte R, Chen J, Huard S, Wang E. c-Myc creates an activation loop by transcriptionally repressing its own functional inhibitor, hMad4, in young fibroblasts, a loop lost in replicatively senescent fibroblasts. J Cell Biochem. 2005;96:1071-85 pubmed
- Walisko O, Izsvák Z, Szabó K, Kaufman C, Herold S, Ivics Z. Sleeping Beauty transposase modulates cell-cycle progression through interaction with Miz-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:4062-7 pubmed..Because nonhomologous end-joining is required for efficient SB transposition, the transposase-induced G(1) slowdown is probably a selfish act on the transposon's part to maximize the chance for a successful transposition event. ..
- Zhang J, Li F, Liu X, Shen L, Liu J, Su J, et al. The repression of human differentiation-related gene NDRG2 expression by Myc via Miz-1-dependent interaction with the NDRG2 core promoter. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39159-68 pubmed..The regulatory function of Myc on NDRG2 gene expression implicated the role of the Ndrg2 in regulating cell differentiation. ..
- Kotaja N, Aittomaki S, Silvennoinen O, Palvimo J, Janne O. ARIP3 (androgen receptor-interacting protein 3) and other PIAS (protein inhibitor of activated STAT) proteins differ in their ability to modulate steroid receptor-dependent transcriptional activation. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:1986-2000 pubmed..It remains to be established whether the PIAS proteins play a more significant physiological role in steroid receptor than in cytokine signaling. ..
- Bray P, Lichter P, Thiesen H, Ward D, Dawid I. Characterization and mapping of human genes encoding zinc finger proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:9563-7 pubmed..The results of these analyses support the conclusion that the human genome contains many, probably several hundred, zinc finger genes with consensus H/C link regions. ..
- Morandell D, Kaiser A, Herold S, Rostek U, Lechner S, Mitterberger M, et al. The human papillomavirus type 16 E7 oncoprotein targets Myc-interacting zinc-finger protein-1. Virology. 2012;422:242-53 pubmed publisher..E7C24G retained E7-wild-type capability to inhibit Miz-1-dependent transactivation. These findings suggest that HPV-16 E7 can repress Miz-1-induced p21(Cip1) gene expression...
- Zhang H, Li Z, Viklund E, Stromblad S. P21-activated kinase 4 interacts with integrin alpha v beta 5 and regulates alpha v beta 5-mediated cell migration. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:1287-97 pubmed..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that PAK4 interacts with integrin alpha v beta 5 and selectively promotes integrin alpha v beta 5-mediated cell migration. ..
- Bowen H, Lapham A, Phillips E, Yeung I, Alter Koltunoff M, Levi B, et al. Characterization of the murine Nramp1 promoter: requirements for transactivation by Miz-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36017-26 pubmed
- Yin X, Warner D, Roberts E, Pisano M, Greene R. Identification of novel CBP interacting proteins in embryonic orofacial tissue. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;329:1010-7 pubmed..The identification of these proteins as novel CBP-binding partners allows exploration of new mechanisms by which CBP regulates and integrates diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Lichter P, Bray P, Ried T, Dawid I, Ward D. Clustering of C2-H2 zinc finger motif sequences within telomeric and fragile site regions of human chromosomes. Genomics. 1992;13:999-1007 pubmed..Zinc finger loci were found to reside predominantly either in telomeric regions or in chromosomal bands known to exhibit chromosome fragility. Chromosome 19 carries a disproportionate fraction (10 of 23) of the mapped zinc finger loci. ..
- Saito M, Novak U, Piovan E, Basso K, Sumazin P, Schneider C, et al. BCL6 suppression of BCL2 via Miz1 and its disruption in diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11294-9 pubmed publisher..These results identify an important function for BCL6 in facilitating apoptosis of GC B cells via suppression of BCL2, and suggest that blocking this pathway is critical for lymphomagenesis. ..
- Liu K, Paik J, Wang B, Lin F, Lin W. Regulation of TopBP1 oligomerization by Akt/PKB for cell survival. EMBO J. 2006;25:4795-807 pubmed..Together, this study defines a novel pathway involving PI3K-Akt-TopBP1 for specific control of E2F1 apoptosis, in parallel with cyclin-Cdk-Rb for general control of E2F activities. ..