Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ZBTB17
Description: zinc finger and BTB domain containing 17
Alias: MIZ-1, ZNF151, ZNF60, pHZ-67, zinc finger and BTB domain-containing protein 17, Myc-interacting Zn finger protein-1, zinc finger protein 151 (pHZ-67), zinc finger protein 60
- Interaction of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4, Miz-1, leptin, lipocalin-type prostaglandin D synthase, and granulin precursor with the N-terminal half of type III hexokinaseD Sui
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 382:262-74. 2000..Cotransfection with leptin or Miz-1 resulted in distinctly different localization of the HKIII-GFP fusion protein, at intracellular sites coincident with localization of leptin-GFP or Miz-1-GFP reporter constructs...
- c-Myc represses and Miz-1 activates the murine natural resistance-associated protein 1 promoterHolly Bowen
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:34997-5006. 2002..The results provide further support for a divalent cation antiporter function for Nramp1...
- Myc suppression of the p21(Cip1) Cdk inhibitor influences the outcome of the p53 response to DNA damageJoan Seoane
Cell Biology Program and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Nature 419:729-34. 2002..By inhibiting p21(Cip1) expression Myc favours the initiation of apoptosis, thereby influencing the outcome of a p53 response in favour of cell death...
- Polyamine-modulated c-Myc expression in normal intestinal epithelial cells regulates p21Cip1 transcription through a proximal promoter regionLan Liu
Cell Biology Group, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Biochem J 398:257-67. 2006..These findings confirm that p21Cip1 is one of the direct mediators of induced c-Myc following increased polyamines and that p21Cip1 repression by c-Myc is implicated in stimulation of normal IEC proliferation...
- A role of Miz-1 in Gfi-1-mediated transcriptional repression of CDKN1AQ Liu
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
Oncogene 29:2843-52. 2010..Our data reveal an important mechanism by which Gfi-1 regulates cell proliferation and may also have implications for understanding the role of Gfi-1 in lymphomagenesis...
- A cleaved form of MAGE-A4 binds to Miz-1 and induces apoptosis in human cellsToshiharu Sakurai
Department of Clinical Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawaharacho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:15505-14. 2004..Furthermore, the finding that a C-terminal fragment with pro-apoptotic activity is generated from full-length MAGE-A4 after genotoxic stress in human cells suggests a novel function for MAGE-A4...
- A SP1/MIZ1/MYCN repression complex recruits HDAC1 at the TRKA and p75NTR promoters and affects neuroblastoma malignancy by inhibiting the cell response to NGFNunzio Iraci
University of Bologna, Department of Biology, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Res 71:404-12. 2011..By directly connecting MYCN to the repression of TRKA and p75NTR, our findings establish a key pathway of clinical pathogenicity and aggressiveness in neuroblastoma...
- Gfi-1 represses CDKN2B encoding p15INK4B through interaction with Miz-1Suchitra Basu
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1433-8. 2009..Our data reveal a mechanism of transcriptional repression by Gfi-1 and may have important implications for understanding the roles of Gfi-1 in normal development and tumorigenesis...
- ARF antagonizes the ability of Miz-1 to inhibit p53-mediated transactivationL Miao
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, People s Republic of China
Oncogene 29:711-22. 2010....
- Myc interacts with Max and Miz1 to repress C/EBPdelta promoter activity and gene expressionJunling Si
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Mol Cancer 9:92. 2010..A number of tumor suppressor genes are targets of Myc transcriptional repression including C/EBPalpha, p15INK4, p21CIP1, p27KIP1 and p57KIP2. This study investigated the mechanisms underlying Myc repression of C/EBPdelta expression...
- De novo identification of MIZ-1 (ZBTB17) encoding a MYC-interacting zinc-finger protein as a new favorable neuroblastoma geneNaohiko Ikegaki
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:6001-9. 2007..This study was undertaken to design an experimental strategy to identify additional favorable neuroblastoma genes...
- BCL6 interacts with the transcription factor Miz-1 to suppress the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 and cell cycle arrest in germinal center B cellsRyan T Phan
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Department of Pathology, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Immunol 6:1054-60. 2005..Through this mechanism, BCL6 may facilitate the proliferative expansion of germinal centers during the normal immune response and, when deregulated, the pathological expansion of B cell lymphomas...
- Induction of G1 cell cycle arrest and P15INK4b expression by ECRG1 through interaction with Miz-1Nianxi Zhao
Department of Etiology and Carcinogenesis, Cancer Institute, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100021, P R China
J Cell Biochem 92:65-76. 2004..The physical interaction of ECRG1 and Miz-1 may play an important role in carcinogenesis of EC...
- HIF-2alpha promotes hypoxic cell proliferation by enhancing c-myc transcriptional activityJohn D Gordan
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer Cell 11:335-47. 2007..Enhanced c-Myc activity likely contributes to HIF-2alpha-mediated neoplastic progression following loss of the VHL tumor suppressor and influences the behavior of hypoxic tumor cells...
- A beta-sheet interaction interface directs the tetramerisation of the Miz-1 POZ domainMark A Stead
Molecular Cell Biology Research Group, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Garstang Astbury Buildings, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Mol Biol 373:820-6. 2007....
- A ribosomal protein L23-nucleophosmin circuit coordinates Mizl function with cell growthMichael Wanzel
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research IMT, Emil Mannkopff Str 2, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 10:1051-61. 2008..As L23 is encoded by a direct target gene of Myc, this regulatory circuit may provide a feedback mechanism that links translation of Myc target genes and cell growth to Miz1-dependent cell-cycle arrest...
- Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressorCarmen Brenner
Free University of Brussels, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 24:336-46. 2005..Furthermore, these findings suggest that targeting of DNA methyltransferases by transcription factors is a wide and general mechanism for the generation of specific DNA methylation patterns within a cell...
- Zbtb4 represses transcription of P21CIP1 and controls the cellular response to p53 activationAxel Weber
Institute of Molecular Biology and Tumour Research IMT, Marburg, Germany
EMBO J 27:1563-74. 2008..Our data suggest that Zbtb4 is a critical determinant of the cellular response to p53 activation and reinforce the notion that p21Cip1 can provide an essential survival signal in cells with activated p53...
- Miz1 and HectH9 regulate the stability of the checkpoint protein, TopBP1Steffi Herold
Institute of Molecular Biology and Tumor Research, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
EMBO J 27:2851-61. 2008..Our data show that Miz1 and Myc affect the activity of the Atr checkpoint through their effect on TopBP1 chromatin association and stability...
- BCL2 is a downstream effector of MIZ-1 essential for blocking c-MYC-induced apoptosisJagruti H Patel
Biomedical Graduate Studies, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 282:5-13. 2007..These data define a genetic pathway that helps to explain historical observations documenting cooperation between c-MYC and BCL2 overexpression in human cancer...
- Myc represses differentiation-induced p21CIP1 expression via Miz-1-dependent interaction with the p21 core promoterSiqin Wu
Upsala Genetic Center, Department of Plant Biology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Oncogene 22:351-60. 2003..In conclusion, repression of differentiation-induced p21 expression through Miz-1 may be an important mechanism by which Myc blocks differentiation...
- The ubiquitin ligase HectH9 regulates transcriptional activation by Myc and is essential for tumor cell proliferationSovana Adhikary
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research, University of Marburg, Emil Mannkopff Str 2, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Cell 123:409-21. 2005..Our results suggest that site-specific ubiquitination regulates the switch between an activating and a repressive state of the Myc protein, and they suggest a strategy to interfere with Myc function in vivo...
- Negative regulation of the mammalian UV response by Myc through association with Miz-1Steffi Herold
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Cell 10:509-21. 2002..Our data implicate Miz-1 in a pathway that regulates cell proliferation in response to UV irradiation...
- The Arf tumor suppressor protein inhibits Miz1 to suppress cell adhesion and induce apoptosisBarbara Herkert
Theodor Boveri Institute and 2 Rudolf Virchow Center, University of Wurzburg, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 188:905-18. 2010..Our data point to a tumor-suppressive pathway that weakens cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in response to expression of Arf and that may thereby facilitate the elimination of cells harboring an oncogenic mutation...
- Insights into strand exchange in BTB domain dimers from the crystal structures of FAZF and Miz1Peter J Stogios
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Mol Biol 400:983-97. 2010..The differences in the N-termini seen in the FAZF and Miz1 BTB domains appear to be more recent developments in the structural evolution of the domain...
- Transcription factor MIZ-1 is regulated via microtubule associationJ Ziegelbauer
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Mol Cell 8:339-49. 2001..Thus, MIZ-1 appears to be regulated by association with microtubules and may activate gene transcription in response to changes in the cytoskeleton...
- Repression of p15INK4b expression by Myc through association with Miz-1P Staller
Institute of Molecular Biology and Tumour Research, Emil Mannkopff Strabetae 2, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 3:392-9. 2001..Alleles of c-myc that are unable to bind to Miz-1 fail to inhibit accumulation of p15INK4b messenger RNA in primary cells and are, as a consequence, deficient in immortalization...
- A genome-wide association study identifies two loci associated with heart failure due to dilated cardiomyopathyEric Villard
INSERM U956, Paris 75013, France
Eur Heart J 32:1065-76. 2011..So far, the genetics of DCM remains largely unresolved. We conducted the first genome-wide association study (GWAS) to identify loci contributing to sporadic DCM...
- Expression of NLRR3 orphan receptor gene is negatively regulated by MYCN and Miz-1, and its downregulation is associated with unfavorable outcome in neuroblastomaJesmin Akter
Division of Biochemistry and Innovative Cancer Therapeutics, Chiba Cancer Center, Chiba, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 17:6681-92. 2011..However, the molecular mechanism of transcriptional regulation of NLRR3 remains elusive. This study was undertaken to clarify the transcriptional regulation of NLRR3 and its association with the prognosis of NBL...
- Inhibitory effect of c-Myc on p53-induced apoptosis in leukemia cells. Microarray analysis reveals defective induction of p53 target genes and upregulation of chaperone genesEva Ceballos
Departamento de Biología Molecular y Unidad de Biomedicina CSIC, Grupo de Biología Molecular del Cáncer, Facultad de Medicina, University of Cantabria, Santander 39011, Spain
Oncogene 24:4559-71. 2005..Our data suggest that elevated levels of Myc counteract p53 activity in human tumor cells that lack ARF. This mechanism could contribute to explain the c-Myc deregulation frequently found in cancer...
- An alternative pathway for gene regulation by MycK Peukert
Hans Knöll Institut für Naturstoff Forschung, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Beutenbergstrasse 11, 07745 Jena, Germany
EMBO J 16:5672-86. 1997..Our data suggest a model for how gene repression by Myc may occur in vivo...
- Targeting of Miz-1 is essential for Myc-mediated apoptosisJagruti H Patel
The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 281:3283-9. 2006....
- Acetylation of KLF5 alters the assembly of p15 transcription factors in transforming growth factor-beta-mediated induction in epithelial cellsPeng Guo
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology and Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 284:18184-93. 2009..Activation of TGFbeta recruits p300 to the KLF5-Smad complex to acetylate KLF5, and the complex with acetylated KLF5 binds to the Smad binding element and alters the binding of other factors to p15 promoter to induce its transcription...
- Sumoylation dynamics during keratinocyte differentiationAdeline F Deyrieux
Department of Molecular and Microbial Pathogenesis, College of Medicine, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
J Cell Sci 120:125-36. 2007..Abrogation of sumoylation by Gam1 expression severely disrupted normal HaCaT differentiation, consistent with an important role for sumoylation in the proper progression of this biological process...
- Nitric oxide-dependent and nitric oxide-independent transcriptional responses to high shear stress in endothelial cellsBranko Braam
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, University Medical Center, F03 226, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hypertension 45:672-80. 2005..Several transcriptional modulators were found (up: SOX5, SOX25, ZNF151, HOXD10; down: SOX11); a number of genes were regulated by shear and by shear with ODQ, but not regulated during L-..
- SIZ1-Dependent Post-Translational Modification by SUMO Modulates Sugar Signaling and Metabolism in Arabidopsis thalianaPedro Humberto Castro
BioSystems and Integrative Sciences Institute BioISI, Plant Functional Biology Center, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal These authors contributed equally to this work
Plant Cell Physiol 56:2297-311. 2015..The Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SAP and Miz 1 (SIZ1) is the major SUMO conjugation enhancer in response to stress, and is implicated in several aspects of plant ..
- The Interaction of Myc with Miz1 Defines Medulloblastoma Subgroup IdentityBaohan T Vo
Department of Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Cancer Cell 29:5-16. 2016..Target genes of Myc/Miz1 are repressed in human G3 MBs but not in other subgroups. Therefore, the Myc/Miz1 interaction is a defining hallmark of G3 MB development. ..
- Syk-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of mule promotes TNF-induced JNK activation and cell deathC K Lee
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Oncogene 35:1988-95. 2016..Our data provides a missing link in TNF signaling pathway that leads to JNK activation and cell death. ..
- Myc-interacting zinc-finger protein 1 positively regulates Wnt signalling by protecting Dishevelled from Dapper1-mediated degradationYongsheng Huang
The State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua Peking Center for Life Sciences, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Biochem J 466:499-509. 2015..Together, our findings establish a novel layer of Wnt signalling regulation via the MIZ1-Dpr1-Dvl axis. ..
- Two ZNF509 (ZBTB49) isoforms induce cell-cycle arrest by activating transcription of p21/CDKN1A and RB upon exposure to genotoxic stressBu Nam Jeon
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Brain Korea 21 PLUS Project for Medical Science, Severance Biomedical Research Institute, Yonsei University School of Medicine, 50 1, Yonsei ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Nucleic Acids Res 42:11447-61. 2014..Immunohistochemical analysis revealed that ZNF509 is highly expressed in normal epithelial cells, but was completely repressed in tumor tissues of the colon, lung and skin, indicating a possible role as a tumor suppressor. ..
- Miz-1 activates gene expression via a novel consensus DNA binding motifBonnie L Barrilleaux
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Davis, California, United States of America Genome Center, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, United States of America Institute of Pediatric Regenerative Medicine, Shriners Hospital for Children Northern California, Sacramento, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e101151. 2014..Overall, our results indicate that Miz-1 may be directed in vivo to the novel motif sequences we have identified, where it can recruit its specific binding partners to control gene expression and ultimately regulate cell fate...
- Myc increases self-renewal in neural progenitor cells through Miz-1Laura Kerosuo
Developmental Biology, Institute of Biomedicine, Haartmaninkatu 8, PO Box 63, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Sci 121:3941-50. 2008..Our results suggest that Myc, through Miz-1, enhances self-renewal of NPCs and influences the way progenitor cells react to the environmental cues that normally dictate the cellular identity of tissues containing self-renewing cells...
- Association of Myc with the zinc-finger protein Miz-1 defines a novel pathway for gene regulation by MycA Schneider
Zentrum für Molekulare Biologie Heidelberg ZMBH, Germany
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 224:137-46. 1997..We have termed this protein Miz-1 (Myc-interacting zinc finger protein). Some of the properties of Miz-1 suggest that it may be involved in gene repression by Myc in vivo...
- Myc-interacting protein 1 target gene profile: a link to microtubules, extracellular signal-regulated kinase, and cell growthJoseph Ziegelbauer
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:458-63. 2004..Taken together, our studies suggest that MIZ-1 regulates a specific set of genes that includes LDLR and that the ERK pathway plays a role in the activation of target promoters by MIZ-1...
- Transcriptional repression by MycMichael Wanzel
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumour Research IMT, University of Marburg, Marburg 35033, Germany
Trends Cell Biol 13:146-50. 2003..The findings might explain how Myc interferes with cell-cycle arrest in response to TGF-beta, APC and DNA damage...
- The role of MIZ-1 in MYC-dependent tumorigenesisKatrin E Wiese
Comprehensive Cancer Center Mainfranken and Theodor Boveri Institute, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, 97074 Wurzburg, Germany
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 3:a014290. 2013..The functional interaction of both proteins becomes apparent at oncogenic expression levels of MYC and association with MIZ-1 mediates both oncogenic functions of MYC as well as tumor-suppressive responses to oncogenic levels of MYC. ..
- Regulation of CDKN2B expression by interaction of Arnt with Miz-1--a basis for functional integration between the HIF and Myc gene regulatory pathwaysReidun Aesoy
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Mol Cancer 13:54. 2014..Hypoxia- and Myc-dependent transcriptional regulatory pathways are frequently deregulated in cancer cells. These pathways converge in many cellular responses, but the underlying molecular mechanisms are unclear...
- Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen 3A protein regulates CDKN2B transcription via interaction with MIZ-1Quentin Bazot
Ciri, International Center for Infectiology Research, Oncogenic Herpesviruses team, Universite de Lyon, Lyon 69364, France Université Lyon 1, Centre International de Recherche en Infectiologie, Lyon 69364, France CIRI, International Center for Infectiology Research, Cell Biology of Viral Infections team, Universite de Lyon, Lyon 69364, France INSERM, U1111, Lyon 69364, France CNRS, UMR5308, Lyon 69364, France
Nucleic Acids Res 42:9700-16. 2014....
- Activation and repression by oncogenic MYC shape tumour-specific gene expression profilesSusanne Walz
1 Theodor Boveri Institute, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wurzburg, Germany 2
Nature 511:483-7. 2014..Third, complex formation with MIZ1 (also known as ZBTB17) mediates repression of multiple target genes by MYC and the ratio of MYC and MIZ1 bound to each promoter ..
- Structural and dynamical characterization of the Miz-1 zinc fingers 5-8 by solution-state NMRDavid Bernard
Departement de Biochimie, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Institut de Pharmacologie de Sherbrooke, Universite de Sherbrooke, 3001, 12e Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, QC, J1H 5N4, Canada
J Biomol NMR 57:103-16. 2013....
- Destabilization of MYC/MYCN by the mitochondrial inhibitors, metaiodobenzylguanidine, metformin and phenforminStephanie S Wang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Int J Mol Med 33:35-42. 2014..Our data suggest that the destabilization of MYC/MYCN by MIBG, metformin and phenformin and their effects on histone modification are important mechanisms underlying their anticancer effects...
- Nramp1-mediated innate resistance to intraphagosomal pathogens is regulated by IRF-8, PU.1, and Miz-1Michal Alter-Koltunoff
Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Technion, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Biol Chem 278:44025-32. 2003..Thus, our results explain in molecular terms the role of IRF-8 in conferring innate resistance to intracellular pathogens and point to its possible involvement in autoimmune diseases...
- Destruction of Myc by ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis: cancer-associated and transforming mutations stabilize MycS E Salghetti
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, PO Box 100, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
EMBO J 18:717-26. 1999..Our data reveal a complex network of interactions regulating Myc destruction, and imply that enhanced protein stability contributes to oncogenic transformation by mutant Myc proteins...
- MMS21/HPY2 and SIZ1, two Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligases, have distinct functions in developmentTakashi Ishida
RIKEN Plant Science Center, Tsurumi, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e46897. 2012..been reported in yeast and animals, but only two types of E3 ligases have been identified in Arabidopsis: SAP and Miz 1 (SIZ1) and Methyl Methanesulfonate-Sensitivity protein 21 (MMS21)/HIGH PLOIDY 2 (HPY2), hereafter referred to as ..
- From oncogene to tumor suppressor: the dual role of Myc in leukemiaIris Uribesalgo
Centre de Regulació Genòmica CRG and UPF, Barcelona, Spain
Cell Cycle 11:1757-64. 2012..Here, we discuss the role of c-Myc in balancing proliferation and differentiation and how modulating this previously unidentified c-Myc activity might provide alternative therapies against leukemia and possibly other types of tumors...
- Sleeping Beauty transposase modulates cell-cycle progression through interaction with Miz-1Oliver Walisko
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, D 13092 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4062-7. 2006..Because nonhomologous end-joining is required for efficient SB transposition, the transposase-induced G(1) slowdown is probably a selfish act on the transposon's part to maximize the chance for a successful transposition event...
- Novel target genes of the Wnt pathway and statistical insights into Wnt target promoter regulationSlava Ziegler
Max Planck Institut fur molekulare Physiologie, Dortmund, Germany
FEBS J 272:1600-15. 2005..Furthermore, our data indicate that a high proportion of Wnt target genes are regulated by indirect mechanisms...
- The proto-oncoprotein KR-POK represses transcriptional activation of CDKN1A by MIZ-1 through competitive bindingK M Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Yonsei University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Oncogene 31:1442-58. 2012....
- Host cell factor-1 interacts with and antagonizes transactivation by the cell cycle regulatory factor Miz-1David Piluso
Department of Biochemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:46799-808. 2002....
- c-Myc represses the proximal promoters of GADD45a and GADD153 by a post-RNA polymerase II recruitment mechanismDalia Barsyte-Lovejoy
Division of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Oncogene 23:3481-6. 2004..RNA polymerase II (RNAPII) is recruited to the GADD gene promoters in the presence and absence of c-Myc, which suggests that c-Myc represses these genes through a post-RNAPII recruitment mechanism...
- The repression of human differentiation-related gene NDRG2 expression by Myc via Miz-1-dependent interaction with the NDRG2 core promoterJian Zhang
Institute of Molecular Biology and the State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Fourth Military Medical University, 710032 Xi an, China
J Biol Chem 281:39159-68. 2006..The regulatory function of Myc on NDRG2 gene expression implicated the role of the Ndrg2 in regulating cell differentiation...
- Microarray analysis of E-box binding-related gene expression in young and replicatively senescent human fibroblastsAlexandre Semov
Bloomfield Center for Research in Aging, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anal Biochem 302:38-51. 2002..Alterations in the expression of E-box-binding transcription factors and c-Myc-binding proteins demonstrate the importance of these genes in establishing the contact-inhibited quiescent or senescent phenotypes...
- Transcription factor miz-1 is required to regulate interleukin-7 receptor signaling at early commitment stages of B cell differentiationChristian Kosan
Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal IRCM, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
Immunity 33:917-28. 2010..We report that mice lacking the POZ (Poxvirus and zinc finger) domain of the transcription factor Miz-1 (Zbtb17(ΔPOZ/ΔPOZ)) almost entirely lacked follicular B cells, as shown by the fact that their progenitors failed to ..
- IL-7R-dependent survival and differentiation of early T-lineage progenitors is regulated by the BTB/POZ domain transcription factor Miz-1Ingrid Saba
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Blood 117:3370-81. 2011....
- c-Myc creates an activation loop by transcriptionally repressing its own functional inhibitor, hMad4, in young fibroblasts, a loop lost in replicatively senescent fibroblastsRichard Marcotte
The Bloomfield Center for Research in Aging, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, The Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, and Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 96:1071-85. 2005....
- The action mechanism of the Myc inhibitor termed Omomyc may give clues on how to target Myc for cancer therapyMauro Savino
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Istituto di Biologia e Patologia Molecolari CNR IBPM, Dipartimento di Biologia e Biotecnologie, Universita Sapienza, Roma, Italia
PLoS ONE 6:e22284. 2011....
- Hsp90 inhibition increases p53 expression and destabilizes MYCN and MYC in neuroblastomaPaul L Regan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Int J Oncol 38:105-12. 2011..Together our data suggest that Hsp90 inhibition suppresses the growth of neuroblastoma through multiple cellular pathways and that MYC/MYCN destabilization is among the important consequences of Hsp90 inhibition...
- Miz-1 is required to coordinate the expression of TCRbeta and p53 effector genes at the pre-TCR "beta-selection" checkpointIngrid Saba
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1R7, Canada
J Immunol 187:2982-92. 2011....
- Nmi protein interacts with regions that differ between MycN and Myc and is localized in the cytoplasm of neuroblastoma cells in contrast to nuclear MycND Bannasch
Division of Cytogenetics H0400, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Oncogene 18:6810-7. 1999..Therefore only a very small amount of MycN and Nmi is likely to be involved in MycN/Nmi interaction in vivo...
- The role of the transcription factor Miz-1 in lymphocyte development and lymphomagenesis-Binding Myc makes the differenceTarik Moroy
Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal IRCM, 110 avenue des Pins Ouest, Montreal, QC H2W 1R7, Canada
Semin Immunol 23:379-87. 2011....
- Myc and Miz-1 have coordinate genomic functions including targeting Hox genes in human embryonic stem cellsNatalia Varlakhanova
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA, USA
Epigenetics Chromatin 4:20. 2011..A proposed role for Myc in maintaining mouse embryonic stem (ES) cell pluripotency is transcriptional repression of key differentiation-promoting genes, but detail of the mechanism has remained an important open topic...
- The human papillomavirus type 16 E7 oncoprotein targets Myc-interacting zinc-finger protein-1Dieter Morandell
Cell Metabolism and Differentiation Research Group, Institute for Biomedical Aging Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Innsbruck, Austria
Virology 422:242-53. 2012..E7C24G retained E7-wild-type capability to inhibit Miz-1-dependent transactivation. These findings suggest that HPV-16 E7 can repress Miz-1-induced p21(Cip1) gene expression...
- Miz1, a novel zinc finger transcription factor that interacts with Msx2 and enhances its affinity for DNAL Wu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Cancer Hospital and Research Institute, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Mech Dev 65:3-17. 1997..The p148h mutation in Msx2 augments the Miz1 effect on Msx2 DNA binding, suggesting a reason why this mutation behaves in vivo as a dominant positive, and providing a potential explanation of the craniosynostosis phenotype...
- Isolation and fine mapping of 16 novel human zinc finger-encoding cDNAs identify putative candidate genes for developmental and malignant disordersN Tommerup
Danish Center for Human Genome Research, John F Kennedy Institute, Glostrup
Genomics 27:259-64. 1995..deleted in solid tumors included ZNF132, 134, 135, 137, 154, and 155, all located on 19q13 (thyroid adenoma), and ZNF151, at 1p36.1-p36.2 (neuroblastoma, colon cancer, and other tumors)...
- Characterization and mapping of human genes encoding zinc finger proteinsP Bray
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:9563-7. 1991..The results of these analyses support the conclusion that the human genome contains many, probably several hundred, zinc finger genes with consensus H/C link regions...
- Regulation of the Aurora-A gene following topoisomerase I inhibition: implication of the Myc transcription factorSandy Courapied
Cancer Center Paul Papin, INSERM U892, Angers, France
Mol Cancer 9:205. 2010..We therefore propose the hypothesis that the coordinated overexpression of Myc and Aurora-A, together with a downregulation of Mad and Miz-1 should be tested as a prognosis signature of poor responses to topoisomerase I inhibitors...
- Six lysine residues on c-Myc are direct substrates for acetylation by p300Kangling Zhang
Department of Chemistry, University of California at Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 336:274-80. 2005..Our results further indicate that p300 can acetylate DNA-bound Myc:Max complexes and that acetylated Myc:Max heterodimers efficiently interact with Miz-1...
- Pontin and Reptin regulate cell proliferation in early Xenopus embryos in collaboration with c-Myc and Miz-1Christelle Etard
Zoologisches Institut II, Universitat Karlsruhe TH, Kaiserstrasse 12, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Mech Dev 122:545-56. 2005..We propose a novel function of xPontin and xReptin as co-repressors in the c-Myc/Miz-1 pathway...
- Ketogenic HMGCS2 Is a c-Myc target gene expressed in differentiated cells of human colonic epithelium and down-regulated in colon cancerNuria Camarero
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Mol Cancer Res 4:645-53. 2006..Based on these findings, we propose that ketogenesis is an undesirable metabolic characteristic of the proliferating cell, which is down-regulated through c-Myc-mediated repression of the key metabolic gene HMGCS2...
- Regulation of TopBP1 oligomerization by Akt/PKB for cell survivalKang Liu
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
EMBO J 25:4795-807. 2006..Together, this study defines a novel pathway involving PI3K-Akt-TopBP1 for specific control of E2F1 apoptosis, in parallel with cyclin-Cdk-Rb for general control of E2F activities...
- Identification of novel CBP interacting proteins in embryonic orofacial tissueXiaolong Yin
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, ULSD Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329:1010-7. 2005..The identification of these proteins as novel CBP-binding partners allows exploration of new mechanisms by which CBP regulates and integrates diverse cell signaling pathways...
- The DNA topoisomerase IIbeta binding protein 1 (TopBP1) interacts with poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP-1)Yvonne Wollmann
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology Hans Knoell Institute, Beutenbergstrasse 11a, D 07745 Jena, Germany
J Cell Biochem 102:171-82. 2007..Finally, cellular (ADP-ribosyl)ating activity impairs binding of TopBP1 to Myc-interacting zinc finger protein-1 (Miz-1). The results indicate an influence of post-translational modifications of TopBP1 on its function during DNA repair...
- The mouse C/EBPdelta gene promoter is regulated by STAT3 and Sp1 transcriptional activators, chromatin remodeling and c-Myc repressionYingjie Zhang
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Cell Biochem 102:1256-70. 2007..These results provide a molecular model of C/EBPdelta transcriptional regulation under G(0) growth arrest conditions...
- Characterization of the murine Nramp1 promoter: requirements for transactivation by Miz-1Holly Bowen
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:36017-26. 2003....
- Innate immunity to intraphagosomal pathogens is mediated by interferon regulatory factor 8 (IRF-8) that stimulates the expression of macrophage-specific Nramp1 through antagonizing repression by c-MycMichal Alter-Koltunoff
Department of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Biol Chem 283:2724-33. 2008..Thus, interplay between repression and activation state of the Nramp1 promoter mediated by IRF-8 provides the molecular basis by which macrophages resist intraphagosomal pathogens at early stage after infection...
- c-Myc inhibits Ras-mediated differentiation of pheochromocytoma cells by blocking c-Jun up-regulationJose P Vaque
Grupo de Biología Molecular del Cáncer, Dpto de Biología Molecular and Instituto de Biomedicina y Biotecnología de Cantabria, Universidad de Cantabria CSIC IDICAN, Santander, Spain
Mol Cancer Res 6:325-39. 2008..In conclusion, we describe a novel interplay between c-Myc and c-Jun that controls the ability of Ras to trigger the differentiation program of pheochromocytoma cells...
- Human differentiation-related gene NDRG1 is a Myc downstream-regulated gene that is repressed by Myc on the core promoter regionJian Zhang
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and The State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, 710032, People s Republic of China
Gene 417:5-12. 2008..Taken together, our results demonstrate that, in common with NDRG2, human NDRG1 can be indirectly transcriptionally down-regulated by Myc via interaction with the NDRG1 core promoter...
- Investigation of eight candidate genes on chromosome 1p36 for autosomal dominant total congenital cataractKathryn P Burdon
Department of Ophthalmology, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Mol Vis 14:1799-804. 2008..To identify the causative gene for autosomal dominant total congenital cataract in a six-generation Australian family displaying linkage to chromosome 1p36...
- Mechanisms of c-myc-mediated transcriptional repression of growth arrest genesAndrei L Gartel
Department of Molecular Genetics, M C 669, 900 S Ashland Avenue, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Exp Cell Res 283:17-21. 2003..The ability of c-Myc to repress transcription of growth arrest genes may contribute to its potential to promote proliferation and oncogenesis...
- Mad4 is regulated by a transcriptional repressor complex that contains Miz-1 and c-MycLouise Kime
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, U K
Biochem J 370:291-8. 2003....
- LitInspector: literature and signal transduction pathway mining in PubMed abstractsMatthias Frisch
Genomatix Software, 80335 Munich, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 37:W135-40. 2009..g. signaling cascade). The performance was checked for 10 randomly selected genes. Eighty-two per cent of the 38 predicted pathway associations were correct. LitInspector is freely available at http://www.litinspector.org/...
- BCL6 suppression of BCL2 via Miz1 and its disruption in diffuse large B cell lymphomaMasumichi Saito
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11294-9. 2009..These results identify an important function for BCL6 in facilitating apoptosis of GC B cells via suppression of BCL2, and suggest that blocking this pathway is critical for lymphomagenesis...
- Miz1 is a signal- and pathway-specific modulator or regulator (SMOR) that suppresses TNF-alpha-induced JNK1 activationJing Liu
Ben May Department for Cancer Research, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18279-84. 2009..Thus, our results show that in addition to being a transcription factor Miz1 acts as a signal- and pathway-specific modulator or regulator that specifically regulates TNF-alpha-induced JNK1 activation and cell death...
- TGF-beta flips the Myc switchA Orian
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Sci STKE 2001:pe1. 2001..Orian and Eisenman discuss how Myc interacts with Miz-1 to block the expression of a cell cycle inhibitory protein, p15(INK4b), and how TGF-beta is able to unblock Myc-dependent repression of Miz-1...
- Transcriptional regulation of Wnt inhibitory factor-1 by Miz-1/c-MycJ D F Licchesi
Cancer Biology Program, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Oncogene 29:5923-34. 2010..Our data reveal novel insights into c-Myc-mediated DNA methylation-dependent transcriptional silencing, a mechanism that might contribute to the dysregulation of Wnt signaling in cancer...
- P21-activated kinase 4 interacts with integrin alpha v beta 5 and regulates alpha v beta 5-mediated cell migrationHongquan Zhang
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Microbiology, Pathology, and Immunology, SE 141 86 Huddinge, Sweden
J Cell Biol 158:1287-97. 2002..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that PAK4 interacts with integrin alpha v beta 5 and selectively promotes integrin alpha v beta 5-mediated cell migration...
- The SUMO ubiquitin-protein isopeptide ligase family member Miz1/PIASxbeta /Siz2 is a transcriptional cofactor for TFII-IMaria Isabel Tussie-Luna
Department of Pathology, Programs in Immunology and Genetics, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43185-93. 2002..Finally, ectopically expressed Miz1/mPIASxbeta augments the transcriptional activity of TFII-I and relieves the repression exerted by a mutant hMusTRD1/BEN that co-localized with TFII-I in the nucleus...
- ARIP3 (androgen receptor-interacting protein 3) and other PIAS (protein inhibitor of activated STAT) proteins differ in their ability to modulate steroid receptor-dependent transcriptional activationN Kotaja
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
Mol Endocrinol 14:1986-2000. 2000..It remains to be established whether the PIAS proteins play a more significant physiological role in steroid receptor than in cytokine signaling...
- Clustering of C2-H2 zinc finger motif sequences within telomeric and fragile site regions of human chromosomesP Lichter
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
Genomics 13:999-1007. 1992..Zinc finger loci were found to reside predominantly either in telomeric regions or in chromosomal bands known to exhibit chromosome fragility. Chromosome 19 carries a disproportionate fraction (10 of 23) of the mapped zinc finger loci...
- Daitoku Sakamuro; Fiscal Year: 2015..This knowledge will be significant, as it may guide the development of therapeutic strategies for the treatment of cisplatin-resistant human cancers that overexpress c-Myc. ..
- ROBERT NEIL EISENMAN; Fiscal Year: 2016..We will also identify downstream target genes for dMyc-dMax and dMad-dMax. Information gained from these studies will lead to an understanding of a transcription factor network that regulates cell behavior. ..
- P21 transcriptional inhibitors as proapoptotic compoundsAndrei Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study may improve treatment of cancer by leading to the identification of new compounds that will increase the efficiency of cell death promoting anticancer drugs for cancer treatment. ..
- Growth regulatory targets of the Tuberous Sclerosis ComplexROBERT NEIL EISENMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such genes are expected to be effectors of deregulated cell growth in tuberous sclerosis, and as such constitute potential targets for diagnosis and treatment of the disease. ..