Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ZBP 89
Description: zinc finger protein 148
Alias: BERF-1, BFCOL1, GDACCF, HT-BETA, ZBP-89, ZFP148, pHZ-52, zinc finger protein 148, CACCC box-binding protein, CLL-associated antigen KW-10, transcription factor ZBP-89, zinc finger DNA-binding protein 89
Products: ZBP 89
- Fang J, Jia J, Makowski M, Xu M, Wang Z, Zhang T, et al. Functional characterization of a multi-cancer risk locus on chr5p15.33 reveals regulation of TERT by ZNF148. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15034 pubmed publisher..Proteomic analysis identifies allele-preferred binding of Zinc finger protein 148 (ZNF148) to rs36115365-C, further supported by binding of purified recombinant ZNF148...
- Izumikawa K, Ishikawa H, Simpson R, Takahashi N. Modulating the expression of Chtop, a versatile regulator of gene-specific transcription and mRNA export. RNA Biol. 2018;15:849-855 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize roles of Chtop in gene-specific expression and highlight our recent findings concerning the autoregulation of Chtop. ..
- Yan S, Wu H, He F, Hu X, Zhang Z, Huang M, et al. High expression of zinc-binding protein-89 predicts decreased survival in esophageal squamous cell cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:1966-73 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted. ..
- Kong X, Xu P, Cai W, Wang H, Li B, Huang G, et al. ZBP-89 and Sp1 contribute to Bak expression in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. BMC Cancer. 2018;18:419 pubmed publisher..Additionally, Bak and Sp1 level were associated with HCC patient survival. Bak expression required ZBP-89 and Sp1 cooperative regulation simultaneously. ..
- Sayin V, Khan O, Pehlivanoglu L, Staffas A, Ibrahim M, Asplund A, et al. Loss of one copy of Zfp148 reduces lesional macrophage proliferation and atherosclerosis in mice by activating p53. Circ Res. 2014;115:781-9 pubmed publisher..The transcription factor Zinc finger protein 148 (Zfp148) was shown recently to maintain cell proliferation under oxidative conditions by suppressing p53, ..
- Yang S, Liu L, Niu L, Sun Y, Yang X, Fan J, et al. Downregulation and pro-apoptotic effect of hypoxia-inducible factor 2 alpha in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7:34571-81 pubmed publisher..The findings were confirmed in a mouse HCC xenograft model. In conclusion, our study revealed that HIF-2? was decreased and played an anti-tumorigenic role in HCC. ..
- Nilton A, Sayin V, Zou Z, Sayin S, Bondjers C, Gul N, et al. Targeting Zfp148 activates p53 and reduces tumor initiation in the gut. Oncotarget. 2016;7:56183-56192 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor Zinc finger protein 148 (Zfp148, ZBP-89, BFCOL, BERF1, ht?) interacts physically with the tumor suppressor p53, but the significance of this interaction is not known...
- Papageorgiou D, Karkoulia E, Amaral Psarris A, Burda P, Kolodziej K, Demmers J, et al. Distinct and overlapping DNMT1 interactions with multiple transcription factors in erythroid cells: Evidence for co-repressor functions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:1515-1526 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we provide evidence for DNMT1 serving as a co-repressor of ZBP-89 and GATA1 acting through upstream regulatory elements of the PU.1 and GATA1 gene loci. ..
- Chupreta S, Brevig H, Bai L, Merchant J, INIGUEZ LLUHI J. Sumoylation-dependent control of homotypic and heterotypic synergy by the Kruppel-type zinc finger protein ZBP-89. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36155-66 pubmed..By regulating higher order functional interactions, sumoylation provides a reversible post-translational mechanism to control the activity of ZBP-89. ..
- Leupold J, Asangani I, Mudduluru G, Allgayer H. Promoter cloning and characterization of the human programmed cell death protein 4 (pdcd4) gene: evidence for ZBP-89 and Sp-binding motifs as essential Pdcd4 regulators. Biosci Rep. 2012;32:281-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, data for the first time implicate ZBP-89 as a regulator of Pdcd4 by binding to the basal promoter either alone or by interacting with Sp family members. ..
- Bai L, Yoon S, King P, Merchant J. ZBP-89-induced apoptosis is p53-independent and requires JNK. Cell Death Differ. 2004;11:663-73 pubmed..Silencing ZBP-89 with small interfering RNA enhanced both Bcl-xL and Mcl-1 expression. Taken together, ZBP-89-mediated apoptosis occurs via a p53-independent mechanism that requires JNK activation. ..
- Wu Y, Diab I, Zhang X, Izmailova E, Zehner Z. Stat3 enhances vimentin gene expression by binding to the antisilencer element and interacting with the repressor protein, ZBP-89. Oncogene. 2004;23:168-78 pubmed..In the light of these results, we propose that the interaction of Stat3 and ZBP-89 may be crucial for overcoming the effects of the repressor ZBP-89, which suggests a novel mode for Stat3 gene activation. ..
- Chen G, Merchant J, Lai P, Ho R, Hu X, Okada M, et al. Mutation of p53 in recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma and its association with the expression of ZBP-89. Am J Pathol. 2003;162:1823-9 pubmed..Therefore, co-localization of p53 protein with ZBP-89 may define a subgroup of recurrent HCC that is more sensitive to treatment. ..
- Taniuchi T, Mortensen E, Ferguson A, Greenson J, Merchant J. Overexpression of ZBP-89, a zinc finger DNA binding protein, in gastric cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;233:154-60 pubmed..These results suggest that the transcription factor ZBP-89, like Sp1, may be a marker for neoplastic transformation in some gastric cancers. ..
- Law D, Labut E, Merchant J. Intestinal overexpression of ZNF148 suppresses ApcMin/+ neoplasia. Mamm Genome. 2006;17:999-1004 pubmedZNF148 (ZBP-89, Zfp148) is a multifunctional transcription factor expressed at low levels in most tissues. When overexpressed in gastrointestinal cancer cell lines, ZNF148 inhibits cellular proliferation and induces apoptosis...
- Laudermilk L, Thomas J, Kelada S. Differential Regulation of Zfp30 Expression in Murine Airway Epithelia Through Altered Binding of ZFP148 to rs51434084. G3 (Bethesda). 2018;8:687-693 pubmed publisher..using a combination of in silico predictions and electrophoretic mobility shift assays, we identified ZFP148 as a transcription factor that differentially binds to the Zfp30 promoter region harboring rs51434084...
- Ye C, Liu L, Chen G, Tang X, He Z, He M, et al. ZBP-89 reduces histone deacetylase 3 by degrading IkappaB in the presence of Pin1. J Transl Med. 2015;13:23 pubmed publisher..Such attenuation is independent of NF-ÎºB activity but partially depends on Pin1. The novel pathway identified may help generate new anti-cancer strategy by targeting HDAC3 and its related molecules. ..
- Hasegawa T, Takeuchi A, Miyaishi O, Xiao H, Mao J, Isobe K. PTRF (polymerase I and transcript-release factor) is tissue-specific and interacts with the BFCOL1 (binding factor of a type-I collagen promoter) zinc-finger transcription factor which binds to the two mouse type-I collagen gene promoters. Biochem J. 2000;347 Pt 1:55-9 pubmedWe have used the yeast two-hybrid system to clone the protein that interacts with the BFCOL1 (binding factor of a type-I collagen promoter) zinc-finger transcription factor that was cloned previously as the factor that binds to the two ..
- Ye S, Whatling C, Watkins H, Henney A. Human stromelysin gene promoter activity is modulated by transcription factor ZBP-89. FEBS Lett. 1999;450:268-72 pubmed..As ZBP-89 expression is known to be increased in gastric carcinoma cells, induction of stromelysin expression may be a significant factor in tumour metastasis. ..
- Feng Y, Wang X, Xu L, Pan H, Zhu S, Liang Q, et al. The transcription factor ZBP-89 suppresses p16 expression through a histone modification mechanism to affect cell senescence. FEBS J. 2009;276:4197-206 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ZBP-89 and HDAC3, but not HDAC4, can work coordinately to restrain cell senescence by downregulating p16(INK4a) expression through an epigenetic modification of histones. ..
- Zhang C, Cao Y, Yun J, Chen G, Lai P. Increased expression of ZBP-89 and its prognostic significance in hepatocellular carcinoma. Histopathology. 2012;60:1114-24 pubmed publisher..ZBP-89 has anti-tumour properties and is a potential biomarker for prognosis of HCC. ..
- Ocadiz Ruiz R, Photenhauer A, Hayes M, Ding L, Fearon E, Merchant J. ZBP-89 function in colonic stem cells and during butyrate-induced senescence. Oncotarget. 2017;8:94330-94344 pubmed publisherZBP-89 (Zfp148, ZNF148) is a Kruppel-type zinc-finger family transcription factor that binds to GC-rich DNA elements...
- Gao X, Liu Q, Chang W, Xu X, Du Y, Han Y, et al. Expression of ZNF148 in different developing stages of colorectal cancer and its prognostic value: a large Chinese study based on tissue microarray. Cancer. 2013;119:2212-22 pubmed publisherIt has been speculated that zinc finger protein 148 (ZNF148) is a tumor suppressor. However, to the authors' knowledge, little is known about the clinical significance of ZNF148 expression in patients with colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- Chen G, Chan U, Bai L, Fung K, Tessier A, To A, et al. ZBP-89 reduces the cell death threshold in hepatocellular carcinoma cells by increasing caspase-6 and S phase cell cycle arrest. Cancer Lett. 2009;283:52-8 pubmed publisher..ZBP-89 reduced the cells in G2-M but increased them in S phase. With the changes in caspase-6 and cell cycle, ZBP-89 greatly enhanced the killing effectiveness of 5-fluorouracil or staurosporine in HCC cells. ..
- Gao X, Li J, Liu Y, Liu Q, Hao L, Liu L, et al. ZNF148 modulates TOP2A expression and cell proliferation via ceRNA regulatory mechanism in colorectal cancer. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e5845 pubmed publisher..b>Zinc finger protein 148 (ZNF148) and TOP2A expression were analyzed in 742 colorectal cancer (CRC) tissues using ..
- Essien B, Sundaresan S, Ocadiz Ruiz R, Chavis A, Tsao A, Tessier A, et al. Transcription Factor ZBP-89 Drives a Feedforward Loop of ?-Catenin Expression in Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Res. 2016;76:6877-6887 pubmed..Conditional deletion of Zfp148 in a mouse model of Apc-mediated intestinal polyps demonstrated that ZBP-89 was required for polyp formation due ..
- Thimmarayappa J, Sun J, Schultz L, Dejkhamron P, Lu C, Giallongo A, et al. Inhibition of growth hormone receptor gene expression by saturated fatty acids: role of Kruppel-like zinc finger factor, ZBP-89. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:2747-60 pubmed
- Bai L, Merchant J. ATM phosphorylates ZBP-89 at Ser202 to potentiate p21waf1 induction by butyrate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:817-21 pubmed..These results demonstrate that ATM phosphorylation of ZBP-89 contributes to HDACi induction of p21(waf1) gene expression. ..
- Tommerup N, Vissing H. Isolation and fine mapping of 16 novel human zinc finger-encoding cDNAs identify putative candidate genes for developmental and malignant disorders. Genomics. 1995;27:259-64 pubmed..1-p36.2). The study indicates that the number of ZNF genes in human is large and that systematic isolation and mapping of ZNF genes is a straightforward approach for the identification of novel candidate disease genes. ..
- Woo A, Kim J, Xu J, Huang H, Cantor A. Role of ZBP-89 in human globin gene regulation and erythroid differentiation. Blood. 2011;118:3684-93 pubmed publisher..Addition of the histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid partially reverses the reduced globin gene expression. These findings reveal an activating role for ZBP-89 in human globin gene regulation and erythroid differentiation. ..
- Petrovic I, Kovacevic Grujicic N, Stevanovic M. ZBP-89 and Sp3 down-regulate while NF-Y up-regulates SOX18 promoter activity in HeLa cells. Mol Biol Rep. 2009;36:993-1000 pubmed publisher..Presented data provide the initial information about transcriptional regulation that will help in better understanding of molecular mechanisms involved in regulation of SOX18 gene expression. ..
- Borghaei R, Gorski G, Seutter S, Chun J, Khaselov N, Scianni S. Zinc-binding protein-89 (ZBP-89) cooperates with NF-ÎºB to regulate expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in response to inflammatory cytokines. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;471:503-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence of a role for ZBP-89 in regulation of MMP-1 expression, and suggest the possibility of a larger role for ZBP-89 in inflammation through interactions with NF-ÎºB. ..
- Ye C, Chen G, Ho R, Merchant J, He M, Lai P. Epigenetic upregulation of Bak by ZBP-89 inhibits the growth of hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:2970-2979 pubmed publisher..Conclusively, zinc-binding protein-89 upregulates the expression of Bak by targeting multiple components of the epigenetic pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma. ..
- Law D, Labut E, Adams R, Merchant J. An isoform of ZBP-89 predisposes the colon to colitis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:1342-50 pubmed..We conclude that ZBP-89(DeltaN) antagonizes ZBP-89(FL) function and that over-expression of the truncated isoform disrupts gastrointestinal homeostasis. ..
- Cai M, Luo R, Li Y, Dong P, Zhang Z, Zhou F, et al. High-expression of ZBP-89 correlates with distal metastasis and poor prognosis of patients in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;426:636-42 pubmed publisher..853; P=0.004). Collectively, our study provides vigorous evidence that ZBP-89 was significantly downregulated in CCRCC and could be served as a promising biomarker for prediction of distal metastasis and prognosis of patient with CCRCC. ..
- Malo M, Mozumder M, Zhang X, Biswas S, Chen A, Bai L, et al. Intestinal alkaline phosphatase gene expression is activated by ZBP-89. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G737-46 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the role that this transcription factor is thought to play as a tumor suppressor and suggests its possible function in the physiology of fat absorption. ..
- Bakke J, Wright W, Zamora A, Ong S, Wang Y, Hoyer J, et al. Transcription factor ZNF148 is a negative regulator of human muscle differentiation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:8138 pubmed publisher..This phenotype was most likely mediated by the robust and swift upregulation of MYOD and MEF2C. ..
- Udelhoven M, Pasieka M, Leeser U, Krone W, Schubert M. Neuronal insulin receptor substrate 2 (IRS2) expression is regulated by ZBP89 and SP1 binding to the IRS2 promoter. J Endocrinol. 2010;204:199-208 pubmed publisher..Thus, alternative binding of ZBP89 or SP1 to the described region in the IRS2 promoter regulates neuronal IRS2 expression in a PI3K-dependent manner. ..
- Zhang X, Diab I, Zehner Z. ZBP-89 represses vimentin gene transcription by interacting with the transcriptional activator, Sp1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:2900-14 pubmed..The overexpression of hTAF(II)130 can alleviate ZBP-89 repression in S2 cells, suggesting how ZBP-89 might serve to block gene expression. ..
- Wu Y, Zhang X, Salmon M, Zehner Z. The zinc finger repressor, ZBP-89, recruits histone deacetylase 1 to repress vimentin gene expression. Genes Cells. 2007;12:905-18 pubmed..From these studies we conclude that ZBP-89 functions as a repressor by recruiting HDAC1 to the vimentin promoter. ..
- Stevens S, van Essen A, van Ravenswaaij C, Elias A, Haven J, Lelieveld S, et al. Truncating de novo mutations in the Krüppel-type zinc-finger gene ZNF148 in patients with corpus callosum defects, developmental delay, short stature, and dysmorphisms. Genome Med. 2016;8:131 pubmed..Our study illustrates the advantage of whole exome sequencing in a large cohort using a parent-offspring trio approach for identifying novel genes involved in rare human diseases. ..
- Park H, Shelley C, Arnaout M. The zinc finger transcription factor ZBP-89 is a repressor of the human beta 2-integrin CD11b gene. Blood. 2003;101:894-902 pubmed..A clear inverse relationship was observed in the latter but not the former state, suggesting that ZBP-89 represses CD11b gene expression during the further differentiation of monocytes into macrophages. ..
- Wang Y, Kobori J, Hood L. The ht beta gene encodes a novel CACCC box-binding protein that regulates T-cell receptor gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:5691-701 pubmed..1 gene and the mouse TCR alpha gene silencer has been cloned. This gene, termed ht beta, contains four zinc fingers of the class Cys2-X12-His2 that may be responsible for DNA binding and a highly ..