Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VPS28
Description: VPS28, ESCRT-I subunit
Alias: vacuolar protein sorting-associated protein 28 homolog, ESCRT-I complex subunit VPS28, vacuolar protein sorting 28 homolog, vacuolar protein sorting 28-like protein, yeast class E protein Vps28p homolog
- Stuchell M, Garrus J, Muller B, Stray K, Ghaffarian S, McKinnon R, et al. The human endosomal sorting complex required for transport (ESCRT-I) and its role in HIV-1 budding. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36059-71 pubmed..2) TSG101 and VPS28 co-immunoprecipitated with VPS37B-FLAG, and the three proteins comigrated together in soluble complexes of the ..
- Martin Serrano J, Yarovoy A, Perez Caballero D, Bieniasz P, Yaravoy A. Divergent retroviral late-budding domains recruit vacuolar protein sorting factors by using alternative adaptor proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12414-9 pubmed
- von Schwedler U, Stuchell M, Muller B, Ward D, Chung H, Morita E, et al. The protein network of HIV budding. Cell. 2003;114:701-13 pubmed..These studies define a protein network required for human MVB biogenesis and indicate that the entire network participates in the release of HIV and probably many other viruses. ..
- Eastman S, Martin Serrano J, Chung W, Zang T, Bieniasz P. Identification of human VPS37C, a component of endosomal sorting complex required for transport-I important for viral budding. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:628-36 pubmed..In yeast, ESCRT-I is composed of three proteins, VSP23, VPS28, and VPS37, whereas in mammals only Tsg101(VPS23) and VPS28 were originally identified as ESCRT-I components...
- Carlson L, Hurley J. In vitro reconstitution of the ordered assembly of the endosomal sorting complex required for transport at membrane-bound HIV-1 Gag clusters. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:16928-33 pubmed publisher..These findings define the minimal sets of components needed to complete ESCRT assembly at HIV-1 budding sites, and provide a starting point for in vitro structural and biophysical dissection of the system. ..
- Martin Serrano J, Zang T, Bieniasz P. Role of ESCRT-I in retroviral budding. J Virol. 2003;77:4794-804 pubmed..In this study, we demonstrate that VPS28, a second component of ESCRT-I, binds to a sequence close to the Tsg101 C terminus and is therefore recruited to ..
- Bishop N, Woodman P. TSG101/mammalian VPS23 and mammalian VPS28 interact directly and are recruited to VPS4-induced endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:11735-42 pubmed..We conclude that TSG101 and its interacting components are directly involved in endosomal sorting. ..
- Boura E, Różycki B, Herrick D, Chung H, Vecer J, Eaton W, et al. Solution structure of the ESCRT-I complex by small-angle X-ray scattering, EPR, and FRET spectroscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9437-42 pubmed publisher..ESCRT-I is a heterotetramer of Vps23, Vps28, Vps37, and Mvb12...
- Firkowska M, Macias M, Jaworski J. ESCRT Proteins Control the Dendritic Morphology of Developing and Mature Hippocampal Neurons. Mol Neurobiol. 2018;: pubmed publisher..The knockdown of Vps28 (ESCRT-I) and Vps25 (ESCRT-II) resulted in downregulation of the activity of mechanistic/mammalian target of ..
- Wagenaar T, Tolstykh T, Shi C, Jiang L, Zhang J, Li Z, et al. Identification of the endosomal sorting complex required for transport-I (ESCRT-I) as an important modulator of anti-miR uptake by cancer cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:1204-15 pubmed publisher..RNA interference-mediated knockdown of TSG101 and another ESCRT-I protein, VPS28, improved uptake of anti-miR-21 in parental SKHEP1 cells and restored productive uptake to SKHEP1 clones with ..
- Liu L, Zhang Q. Identification and functional analysis of candidate gene VPS28 for milk fat in bovine mammary epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2019;510:606-613 pubmed publisherIn a previous genome-wide association study on milk production traits in Chinese Holstein population, we revealed VPS28 gene was highly expressed in mammary gland tissue and a -58C > T mutation in 5'-UTR of it was significantly ..
- Wang D, Ning C, Liu J, Zhang Q, Jiang L. Short communication: Replication of genome-wide association studies for milk production traits in Chinese Holstein by an efficient rotated linear mixed model. J Dairy Sci. 2019;102:2378-2383 pubmed publisher..Five detected genes (CYHR1, FOXH1, OPLAH, PLEC, VPS28) have effects on all 3 traits...
- Borlak J, Langer F, Chatterji B. Serum proteome mapping of EGF transgenic mice reveal mechanistic biomarkers of lung cancer precursor lesions with clinical significance for human adenocarcinomas. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2018;: pubmed publisher..05). EGF, amphiregulin and the EGFR endosomal sorting protein VPS28 were induced up to 5-fold while IHC confirmed strong induction of these proteins...
- Zhao Y, Du J, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. ESCRT components regulate the expression of the ER/Golgi calcium pump gene PMR1 through the Rim101/Nrg1 pathway in budding yeast. J Mol Cell Biol. 2013;5:336-44 pubmed publisher..Here we show that deletion mutation of ESCRT components Snf7, Snf8, Stp22, Vps20, Vps25, Vps28, or Vps36 activates the calcium/calcineurin signaling in yeast cells, but surprisingly leads to a nearly 50% ..
- MamiÅ„ska A, Bartosik A, Banach OrÅ‚owska M, Pilecka I, JastrzÄ™bski K, ZdÅ¼alik Bielecka D, et al. ESCRT proteins restrict constitutive NF-ÎºB signaling by trafficking cytokine receptors. Sci Signal. 2016;9:ra8 pubmed publisher..for transport) subunits, which mediate receptor trafficking and degradation, and found that the components Tsg101, Vps28, UBAP1, and CHMP4B were essential to restrict constitutive NF-ÎºB signaling in human embryonic kidney 293 cells...
- Ballmer B, Moos R, Liberali P, Pelkmans L, Hornemann S, Aguzzi A. Modifiers of prion protein biogenesis and recycling identified by a highly parallel endocytosis kinetics assay. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8356-8368 pubmed publisher..M6PR (mannose 6-phosphate receptor) blocked PrPC internalization, whereas down-regulation of GIT2 and VPS28 increased PrPC internalization...
- Chang S, Huang W, Mao X, Sarkar S. NLRP12 Inflammasome Expression in the Rat Brain in Response to LPS during Morphine Tolerance. Brain Sci. 2017;7: pubmed publisher..and its related genes is altered in response to LPS and that the Vacuolar protein-sorting-associated protein 28 (VPS28), which is involved in the transport and sorting of proteins into sub-cellular vesicles, may be the key regulator ..
- Gill D, Teo H, Sun J, Perisic O, Veprintsev D, Emr S, et al. Structural insight into the ESCRT-I/-II link and its role in MVB trafficking. EMBO J. 2007;26:600-12 pubmed..A hydrophobic patch on the Vps28-CT four-helix bundle contacts the hydrophobic knuckles of Vps36-NZF-N...
- Hwang H, Hwang S, Yoon K, Yoon J, Roh K, Choi E. CIIA negatively regulates the Ras-Erk1/2 signaling pathway through inhibiting the Ras-specific GEF activity of SOS1. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1640-6 pubmed publisher..In this study, we show that CIIA (also known as VPS28) physically associates with SOS1 and thereby inhibits the GEF activity of SOS1 on Ras, which prevents the ..
- Wunderley L, Brownhill K, Stefani F, Tabernero L, Woodman P. The molecular basis for selective assembly of the UBAP1-containing endosome-specific ESCRT-I complex. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:663-72 pubmed publisher..ESCRT-I has four subunits; TSG101, VPS28, VPS37 and MVB12...
- Silvestri L, Ruthel G, Kallstrom G, Warfield K, Swenson D, Nelle T, et al. Involvement of vacuolar protein sorting pathway in Ebola virus release independent of TSG101 interaction. J Infect Dis. 2007;196 Suppl 2:S264-70 pubmed..particle-release assays, and confocal microscopy to investigate the potential role of ESCRT-1 proteins VPS4, VPS28, and VPS37B in EBOV budding...
- Yue Q, Yu Q, Yang Q, Xu Y, Guo Y, Blissard G, et al. Distinct Roles of Cellular ESCRT-I and ESCRT-III Proteins in Efficient Entry and Egress of Budded Virions of Autographa californica Multiple Nucleopolyhedrovirus. J Virol. 2018;92: pubmed publisher..In this study, the core components of ESCRT-I (Tsg101 and Vps28) and ESCRT-III (Vps2B, Vps20, Vps24, Snf7, Vps46, and Vps60) were cloned from Spodoptera frugiperda Using a ..
- Tanzi G, Piefer A, Bates P. Equine infectious anemia virus utilizes host vesicular protein sorting machinery during particle release. J Virol. 2003;77:8440-7 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that fusing EIAV Gag directly with another cellular component of the VPS machinery, VPS28, can restore efficient release of an EIAV Gag late-domain mutant...
- Katoh K, Suzuki H, Terasawa Y, Mizuno T, Yasuda J, Shibata H, et al. The penta-EF-hand protein ALG-2 interacts directly with the ESCRT-I component TSG101, and Ca2+-dependently co-localizes to aberrant endosomes with dominant-negative AAA ATPase SKD1/Vps4B. Biochem J. 2005;391:677-85 pubmed..Our findings suggest that ALG-2 may function as a Ca2+-dependent accessory protein of the endosomal sorting machinery by interacting directly with TSG101 as well as with Alix. ..
- Raiborg C, Rusten T, Stenmark H. Protein sorting into multivesicular endosomes. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2003;15:446-55 pubmed..Enveloped RNA viruses such as HIV can redirect these complexes from multivesicular endosomes to the plasma membrane to facilitate viral budding. ..
- Im Y, Hurley J. Integrated structural model and membrane targeting mechanism of the human ESCRT-II complex. Dev Cell. 2008;14:902-13 pubmed publisher..ESCRT-II binds to the ESCRT-I VPS28 C-terminal domain subunit through a helix immediately C-terminal to the VPS36-GLUE domain...
- Warner N, Burberry A, Pliakas M, McDonald C, NÃºÃ±ez G. A genome-wide small interfering RNA (siRNA) screen reveals nuclear factor-ÎºB (NF-ÎºB)-independent regulators of NOD2-induced interleukin-8 (IL-8) secretion. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:28213-24 pubmed publisher..Using immortalized macrophages, we validate the ubiquitin protease, USP8, and the endosomal sorting protein, VPS28, as negative regulators of NOD2-induced cytokine secretion...
- Vincent O, Rainbow L, Tilburn J, Arst H, Peñalva M. YPXL/I is a protein interaction motif recognized by aspergillus PalA and its human homologue, AIP1/Alix. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:1647-55 pubmed
- Dordor A, Poudevigne E, Gottlinger H, Weissenhorn W. Essential and supporting host cell factors for HIV-1 budding. Future Microbiol. 2011;6:1159-70 pubmed publisher..Here we review recent advances in understanding the role of host cell factors recruited by Gag during HIV-1 assembly and budding. ..
- Medina G, Ehrlich L, Chen M, Khan M, Powell M, Carter C. Sprouty 2 binds ESCRT-II factor Eap20 and facilitates HIV-1 gag release. J Virol. 2011;85:7353-62 pubmed publisher..The results identify Spry2 as a novel cellular factor that facilitates release driven by the primary and secondary HIV-1 Gag L domains. ..
- Bruce E, Medcalf L, Crump C, Noton S, Stuart A, Wise H, et al. Budding of filamentous and non-filamentous influenza A virus occurs via a VPS4 and VPS28-independent pathway. Virology. 2009;390:268-78 pubmed publisher..We confirm that influenza M1 binds VPS28, a subunit of the ESCRT-1 complex...
- Olabisi O, Mahon G, Kostenko E, Liu Z, Ozer H, Whitehead I. Bcr interacts with components of the endosomal sorting complex required for transport-I and is required for epidermal growth factor receptor turnover. Cancer Res. 2006;66:6250-7 pubmed..and nonhematopoietic cell lines, where a second subunit of the ESCRT complex, vacuolar sorting protein 28 (Vps28), was also found to interact with Bcr...
- Chertova E, Chertov O, Coren L, Roser J, Trubey C, Bess J, et al. Proteomic and biochemical analysis of purified human immunodeficiency virus type 1 produced from infected monocyte-derived macrophages. J Virol. 2006;80:9039-52 pubmed..MDM-derived HIV contained 26 of 37 proteins previously found in exosomes, consistent with the idea that HIV uses the late endosome/multivesicular body pathway during virion budding from macrophages. ..
- Hwang S, Shim J, Choi E. CIIA negatively regulates neuronal cell death induced by oxygen-glucose deprivation and reoxygenation. Mol Cell Biochem. 2014;397:139-46 pubmed publisher..CIIA also repressed the OGD/R-induced activation of caspase-3 in neuronal cells. Taken together, our results suggest that CIIA attenuates neurotoxicity caused by OGD/R through inhibiting ASK1-dependent signaling events. ..
- Sette P, Nagashima K, Piper R, Bouamr F. Ubiquitin conjugation to Gag is essential for ESCRT-mediated HIV-1 budding. Retrovirology. 2013;10:79 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate a necessary and natural role for ubiquitin in ESCRT-dependent viral release and indicate a critical role for ubiquitination of Gag rather than ubiquitination of ESCRTs themselves. ..
- Weiss E, Gottlinger H. The role of cellular factors in promoting HIV budding. J Mol Biol. 2011;410:525-33 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, HIV-1 requires only a subset of ESCRT-III components, indicating that the membrane fission reaction that occurs during HIV-1 budding differs in crucial aspects from topologically related cellular abscission events. ..
- Döring T, Gotthardt K, Stieler J, Prange R. ?2-Adaptin is functioning in the late endosomal sorting pathway and interacts with ESCRT-I and -III subunits. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1803:1252-64 pubmed publisher..in MVB sorting is further suggested by our finding that it specifically interacts with the ESCRT subunits Vps28 and CHMP2A...