Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VDAC1
Description: voltage-dependent anion channel 1
Alias: PORIN, VDAC-1, outer mitochondrial membrane protein porin 1, plasmalemmal porin, porin 31HL, porin 31HM, voltage-dependent anion-selective channel protein 1
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Bax interacts with the permeability transition pore to induce permeability transition and cytochrome c release in isolated mitochondriaM Narita
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedical Research Center, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14681-6. 1998..Taken together, these findings suggest that proapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, including Bax and Bak, induce the mitochondrial PT and cytochrome c release by interacting with the PT pores...
- Bcl-2 family proteins regulate the release of apoptogenic cytochrome c by the mitochondrial channel VDACS Shimizu
Osaka University Medical School, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, Suita, Japan
Nature 399:483-7. 1999..In agreement with this, VDAC1-deficient mitochondria from a mutant yeast did not exhibit a Bax/Bak-induced loss in membrane potential and ..
- Outer membrane VDAC1 controls permeability transition of the inner mitochondrial membrane in cellulo during stress-induced apoptosisFlora Tomasello
INSERM U916, Universite Bordeaux 2, Institut Bergonie, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Cell Res 19:1363-76. 2009..Working at the single live cell level, we found that overexpression of VDAC1 triggers MPT at the mitochondrial inner membrane (MIM)...
- Specific cleavage of Mcl-1 by caspase-3 in tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-induced apoptosis in Jurkat leukemia T cellsChangjiang Weng
Center for Molecular Immunology, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China 100080
J Biol Chem 280:10491-500. 2005..These results suggested that removal of N-terminal domains of Bid by caspase-8 and Mcl-1 by caspase-3 enabled the maximal mitochondrial perturbation that potentiated TRAIL-induced apoptosis...
- Solution structure of the integral human membrane protein VDAC-1 in detergent micellesSebastian Hiller
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 321:1206-10. 2008..NMR measurements revealed the binding sites of VDAC-1 for the Bcl-2 protein Bcl-x(L), for reduced beta-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, and for cholesterol. Bcl-x(L) interacts with the VDAC barrel laterally at strands 17 and 18...
- Voltage-dependent anion channel 1 is involved in endostatin-induced endothelial cell apoptosisShaopeng Yuan
Beijing Key Laboratory for Protein Therapeutics, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
FASEB J 22:2809-20. 2008..ES promotes the mitochondrial permeability transition pore (mPTP) opening via voltage-dependent anion channel 1 (VDAC1), a major component of mitochondrial outer membrane...
- Voltage-dependent anion channel 1-based peptides interact with hexokinase to prevent its anti-apoptotic activityLaetitia Arzoine
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel 84105
J Biol Chem 284:3946-55. 2009..Now, we demonstrate that synthetic peptides corresponding to the VDAC1 N-terminal region and selected sequences bound specifically, in a concentration- and time-dependent manner, to ..
- Human voltage-dependent anion selective channel 1 is a target antigen for antiglomerular endothelial cell antibody in mixed connective tissue diseaseTamami Kikuchi
Department of Cellular Physiology, Institute of Nephrology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Niigata, 951 8510, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 18:570-7. 2008....
- Downregulation of voltage-dependent anion channel-1 expression by RNA interference prevents cancer cell growth in vivoInbar Koren
Department of Life Sciences and the National Institute for Biotechnology in the Negev, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Cancer Biol Ther 9:1046-52. 2010The voltage-dependent anion channel 1 (VDAC1), located at the outer mitochondrial membrane (OMM), is a key protein in regulating the exchange of ions, nucleotides and a variety of metabolites in and out of the mitochondria...
- [Identification of human porins. II. Characterization and primary structure of a 31-lDa porin from human B lymphocytes (Porin 31HL)]H Kayser
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Immunchemie, Gottingen
Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 370:1265-78. 1989..structure of a human porin with the molecular mass of 31 kDa derived from the plasmalemm of B-lymphocytes (Porin 31HL). Porin 31HL is shown to be a basic, channel forming membrane protein...
- Proapoptotic BH3-only Bcl-2 family members induce cytochrome c release, but not mitochondrial membrane potential loss, and do not directly modulate voltage-dependent anion channel activityS Shimizu
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, CREST of Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:577-82. 2000..These findings indicated the involvement of a different mechanism in BH3-only, protein-induced apoptogenic cytochrome c release...
- Voltage-dependent anion-selective channel (VDAC) interacts with the dynein light chain Tctex1 and the heat-shock protein PBP74Christian Schwarzer
Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Department of Immunochemistry, Hermann Rein Street 3, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34:1059-70. 2002The voltage-dependent anion-selective channel 1 (VDAC1), i.e. eukaryotic porin, functions as a channel in membranous structures as described for the outer mitochondrial membrane, the cell membrane, endosomes, caveolae, the sarcoplasmatic ..
- Control of mitochondrial membrane permeabilization by adenine nucleotide translocator interacting with HIV-1 viral protein rR and Bcl-2E Jacotot
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 1599, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 193:509-19. 2001..Concomitantly, Bcl-2 suppresses channel formation by the ANT-Vpr complex in synthetic membranes. In conclusion, both Vpr and Bcl-2 modulate MMP through a direct interaction with ANT...
- Isolation of the mitochondrial benzodiazepine receptor: association with the voltage-dependent anion channel and the adenine nucleotide carrierM W McEnery
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205 2185
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:3170-4. 1992..VDAC and ADC, outer and inner mitochondrial membrane channel proteins, respectively, together with the 18-kDa subunit, may comprise mBzR at functionally important transport sites at the junction of two mitochondrial membranes...
- BH4 domain of antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family members closes voltage-dependent anion channel and inhibits apoptotic mitochondrial changes and cell deathS Shimizu
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, and Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology CREST of Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:3100-5. 2000..Finally, the data suggest that the TAT-BH4 peptide is potentially useful as a therapeutic agent for diseases caused by accelerated apoptosis...
- Cyclophilin-D binds strongly to complexes of the voltage-dependent anion channel and the adenine nucleotide translocase to form the permeability transition poreM Crompton
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, UK
Eur J Biochem 258:729-35. 1998..band on SDS/PAGE resolved into a doublet and reacted with antibodies against the voltage-dependent anion channel (porin) and the adenine nucleotide translocase...
- Cloning and functional expression in yeast of two human isoforms of the outer mitochondrial membrane channel, the voltage-dependent anion channelE Blachly-Dyson
Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research, Portland, Oregon
J Biol Chem 268:1835-41. 1993..The expression of each human cDNA has been assessed by Northern blot and polymerase chain reaction techniques. With one exception, each is expressed in all human cell lines and tissues examined...
- Paraquat toxicity induced by voltage-dependent anion channel 1 acts as an NADH-dependent oxidoreductaseHiroki Shimada
Molecular and Cell Structural Science, Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:28642-9. 2009..we demonstrated that mitochondrial NADH-dependent PQ reductase containing a voltage-dependent anion channel 1 (VDAC1) is responsible for PQ cytotoxicity...
- Hexokinase-I protection against apoptotic cell death is mediated via interaction with the voltage-dependent anion channel-1: mapping the site of bindingSalah Abu-Hamad
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
J Biol Chem 283:13482-90. 2008..We have previously shown that HK-I decreases murine VDAC1 (mVDAC1) channel conductance, inhibits cytochrome c release, and protects against apoptotic cell death...
- The HIV-1 viral protein R induces apoptosis via a direct effect on the mitochondrial permeability transition poreE Jacotot
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 94801 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 191:33-46. 2000..Hence, Vpr induces apoptosis via a direct effect on the mitochondrial PTPC...
- Neisseria meningitidis porin PorB interacts with mitochondria and protects cells from apoptosisP Massari
Evans Biomedical Research Center, 650 Albany Street, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9070-5. 2000Neisserial porins are strong immune adjuvants and B cell activators. The effect of neisserial porin PorB on activation-induced cell death was investigated, as a potential additional mechanism of the porin's immunopotentiating ability...
- Functional characterization of the conserved "GLK" motif in mitochondrial porin from Neurospora crassaG Runke
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
J Bioenerg Biomembr 32:563-70. 2000Mitochondrial porin facilitates the diffusion of small hydrophilic molecules across the mitochondrial outer membrane...
- [The mechanism of antigen-presentation of porin from Salmonella typhimurium to T lymphocytes]K Matsui
Department of Microbiology, Meiji College of Pharmacy
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:491-4. 1994..It is understood that these three species of proteins construct porin trimers and the porin trimers from the wild type strain of S...
- Modulation of the voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC) by glutamateD Gincel
Department of Life Sciences, The Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
J Bioenerg Biomembr 32:571-83. 2000The voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC), also known as mitochondrial porin, is a large channel permeable to anions, cations, ATP, and other metabolites...
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms used in the acute phase of stimulated steroidogenesisM Thomson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Western Sydney Nepean, Kingswood, Australia
Horm Metab Res 30:16-28. 1998..These contact sites may be composed of protein bridges which include the constituents, porin, the benzodiazepine receptor and GTP binding proteins...
- [Alteration of serotype and drug susceptibility of some Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates by exposure to human serum and polymorphonuclear leukocytes]I Kobayashi
Chemotherapy Division, Mitsubishi Yuka Bio Clinical Laboratories, Inc. Tokyo
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:500-7. 1994..susceptibilities to some beta-lactams and norfloxacin which could penetrate into the bacterial cells through the porin channels of the outer membrane...
- Binding of rat brain hexokinase to recombinant yeast mitochondria: identification of necessary molecular determinantsH Azoulay-Zohar
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Bioenerg Biomembr 31:569-79. 1999..brain hexokinase to mitochondria from rat liver or yeast (wild type, porinless, or expressing recombinant human porin) was studied in an effort to identify minimal requirements for each component...
- Diffusion of beta-lactam antibiotics through oligomeric or monomeric porin channels of some gram-negative bacteriaYeshayahu Nitzan
Health Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Curr Microbiol 45:446-55. 2002..The major proteins with porin activity were purified from the outer membranes of six bacteria. Three of the six porins were oligomeric porins...
- Homology models of the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis and Yersinia pestis general porins and comparative analysis of their functional and antigenic regionsG N Likhatskaya
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of Far East Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Pr 100 Let Vladivostoku 159, 690022 Russia
J Biomol Struct Dyn 23:163-74. 2005The amino acid sequences of the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis porin (YPS) and Y. pestis porin (YPT) have recently deduced but their three-dimensional structures were not known...
- Energy-dependent accumulation of norfloxacin and porin expression in clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae and relationship to extended-spectrum beta-lactamase productionLuis Martinez-Martinez
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3926-32. 2002The relationships between porin deficiency, active efflux of fluoroquinolones, and extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) production were determined for 53 clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae...
- Characterization of further association of the trimeric membrane protein porin by low-angle laser-light scattering photometry coupled with high-performance gel chromatographyY Watanabe
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Japan
J Chromatogr A 653:241-6. 1993b>Porin (OmpF), a trimeric membrane protein, in an extract of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli gave a twin-peaked elution pattern on Sephacryl S-300HR gel chromatography in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulphate...
- X-ray crystallographic and mass spectrometric structure determination and functional characterization of succinylated porin from Rhodobacter capsulatus: implications for ion selectivity and single-channel conductanceM Przybylski
Universitat Konstanz, Fakultat fur Chemie, Germany
Protein Sci 5:1477-89. 1996..To introduce new negative charges in a channel protein, amino groups of porin from Rhodobacter capsulatus 37b4 were succinylated with succinic anhydride, and the precise extent and sites of ..
- Porins from Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium activate the transcription factors activating protein 1 and NF-kappaB through the Raf-1-mitogen-activated protein kinase cascadeMassimiliano Galdiero
Istituto di Microbiologia, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, 80138 Naples, Italy
Infect Immun 70:558-68. 2002..that these enzymes may participate in cell signaling pathways leading to AP-1 and NF-kappaB activation following porin stimulation of cells...
- Identification of positively charged residues of FomA porin of Fusobacterium nucleatum which are important for pore functionH Kleivdal
Department Molecular Biology, Unviversity of Bergen, Norway
Eur J Biochem 260:818-24. 1999FomA porin is the major outer-membrane protein of Fusobacterium nucleatum. It exhibits the functional properties of a general diffusion porin, but has no sequence similarity to other porins...
- Molecular, antigenic, and functional analyses of Omp2b porin size variants of Brucella sppJ Y Paquet
Unité de Recherche en Biologie Moléculaire URBM, Laboratoire d Immunologie Microbiologie, Facultes Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix, 5000 Namur, Belgium
J Bacteriol 183:4839-47. 2001..The variation of the Omp2a and Omp2b porin sequences among the various strains of the genus Brucella seems to result mostly from multiple gene conversions ..
- Roles of beta-lactamases and porins in activities of carbapenems and cephalosporins against Klebsiella pneumoniaeL Martinez-Martinez
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1669-73. 1999..The contribution of porin deficiency was investigated by restoring a functional ompK36 gene on a plasmid...
- How beta-lactam antibiotics enter bacteria: a dialogue with the porinsChloe E James
UMR MD 1, Transporteurs Membranaires, Chimioresistance et Drug Design, Faculte de Medecine, IFR 88, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5453. 2009..Clinical reports have linked the MDR phenotype to altered membrane permeability including porin modification and efflux pump expression.
- A putative alpha-helical porin from Corynebacterium glutamicumKarin Ziegler
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, Albertstr 21, 79104 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
J Mol Biol 379:482-91. 2008..The exchange of material across this barrier requires porins. Porin B (PorB) is one of them...
- Role of porins for uptake of antibiotics by Mycobacterium smegmatisOlga Danilchanka
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3127-34. 2008..Here, we examined which antibiotics utilize the porin pathway across the outer membrane of the model organism Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- The role of the lipoprotein sorting signal (aspartate +2) in pullulanase secretionI Poquet
, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 9:1061-9. 1993..pullulanase variant with a serine at position +2 cofractionated mainly with the major peak of outer membrane porin. In contrast, most (55%) of a pullulanase variant with an aspartate at position +2 cofractionated with slightly ..
- Effects of ergosterol on the structure and activity of Neurospora mitochondrial porin in liposomesDenice C Bay
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 55:1275-83. 2009..Therefore, in this work, a freeze-thaw technique was used to introduce recombinant Neurospora porin into liposomes containing, or lacking, the native fungal sterol ergosterol...
- The gene bglH present in the bgl operon of Escherichia coli, responsible for uptake and fermentation of beta-glucosides encodes for a carbohydrate-specific outer membrane porinC Andersen
Lehrstuhl fur Biotechnologie, Theodor Boveri Institut Biozentrum der Universität Würzburg, Germany
Mol Microbiol 31:499-510. 1999..The resulting plasmid was transferred into the porin-deficient E. coli strain KS26 and the protein was expressed by addition of IPTG...
- Paradoxical effect of Klebsiella pneumoniae OmpK36 porin deficiencyXiuhong Jiang
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pathology 41:388-92. 2009..To evaluate the effect of defined mutations in the major OmpK35 and OmpK36 porins in Klebsiella pneumoniae on the activity of two common plasmid-mediated AmpC enzymes...
- Induction of tyrosine phosphorylated proteins in THP-1 cells by Salmonella typhimurium, Pasteurella haemolytica and Haemophilus influenzae porinsM Galdiero
Dipartimento di Patologia e Sanita Animale, Facolta di Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 31:121-30. 2001..After porin stimulation a pattern of tyrosine phosphorylated proteins appeared in the soluble cytoplasmic fraction, in the ..
- A novel OmpY porin from Yersinia pseudotuberculosis: structure, channel-forming activity and trimer thermal stabilityT F Solov'eva
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry FEBRAS, Prospect 100 Let Vladivostoku 159, Vladivostok 690022, Russia
J Biomol Struct Dyn 28:517-33. 2011A novel OmpY porin was predicted based on the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis genome analysis. Whereas it has the different genomic annotation such as "outer membrane protein N" (ABS46310.1) in str...
- Excretion of endogenous cadaverine leads to a decrease in porin-mediated outer membrane permeabilityH Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 5513, USA
J Bacteriol 181:791-8. 1999The permeability of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli to hydrophilic compounds is controlled by porin channels...
- Site-directed mutagenesis studies to probe the role of specific residues in the external loop (L3) of OmpF and OmpC porins in susceptibility of Serratia marcescens to antibioticsSanela Begic
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 53:710-9. 2007..to this natural antibiotic resistance is reduced outer membrane permeability, controlled in part by OmpF and OmpC porin proteins...
- Topological investigations of the FomA porin from Fusobacterium nucleatum and identification of the constriction loop L6H Kleivdal
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, HIB, Thormøhlensgate 55, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Microbiology 147:1059-67. 2001b>Porin FomA in the outer membrane of Fusobacterium nucleatum is a trimeric protein, which exhibits permeability properties similar to that of the well-known enterobacterial diffusion porins...
- The PorB porin from commensal Neisseria lactamica induces Th1 and Th2 immune responses to ovalbumin in mice and is a potential immune adjuvantXiuping Liu
Evans Biomedical Research Center, Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 650 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Vaccine 26:786-96. 2008..The PorB porin from Neisseria lactamica (Nlac), a common nasopharyngeal commensal, shares significant structural and functional ..
- Molecular characterization of the interaction between porins of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and C4b-binding proteinHanna Jarva
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Medical Protein Chemistry, University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
J Immunol 179:540-7. 2007..The resistance of N. gonorrhoeae to normal human serum killing correlates with porin (Por)-mediated binding to the complement inhibitor, C4b-binding protein (C4BP)...
- Putative porin of Bradyrhizobium sp. (Lupinus) bacteroids induced by glyphosateNuria de María
Instituto de Recursos Naturales, Centro de Ciencias Medioambientales, CSIC, Serrano, 115 bis, E 28006 Madrid, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5075-82. 2007..It is putatively encoded by a single gene, and the protein has been identified as a putative porin. Protein modeling revealed the existence of several domains sharing similarity to different porins, such as a ..
- Expression and porin activity of P28 and OMP-1F during intracellular Ehrlichia chaffeensis developmentYumi Kumagai
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, 1925 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210 1093, USA
J Bacteriol 190:3597-605. 2008..Here we demonstrate that isolated E. chaffeensis outer membranes have porin activities, as determined by a proteoliposome swelling assay...
- The influence of sterols on the conformation of recombinant mitochondrial porin in detergentDenice C Bay
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 86:539-45. 2008..Nonetheless, the contributions of sterols to the folded state of mitochondrial porin are not understood...
- Moraxella catarrhalis M35 is a general porin that is important for growth under nutrient-limiting conditions and in the nasopharynges of miceDonna M Easton
Faculty of Science, University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601, Australia
J Bacteriol 190:7994-8002. 2008..We have previously predicted the outer membrane protein M35 to be a general porin, and in the current study, we have investigated the function of M35 and its importance for survival of M...
- VDAC1 serves as a mitochondrial binding site for hexokinase in oxidative musclesKeltoum Anflous-Pharayra
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1767:136-42. 2007..that mitochondria-bound hexokinase activity is significantly reduced in oxidative muscles (heart and soleus) in vdac1(-/-) mice. The activity data were supported by western blot analysis using HK2 specific antibody...
- Resistance to extended-spectrum beta-lactams by the emergence of SHV-12 and the loss of OmpK35 in Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli in MalaysiaSelvi Palasubramaniam
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 42:129-33. 2009..This study describes the detection of SHV-12 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) subtype and the loss of OmpK35 porin in 4 strains of K. pneumoniae and E. coli.
- Functional characterization of a second porin isoform in Drosophila melanogaster. DmPorin2 forms voltage-independent cation-selective poresRita Aiello
Department of Chemical Sciences, University of Catania, 95125 Catania, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:25364-73. 2004..Genome sequencing of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster revealed the presence of three additional porin-like genes. No functional information was available for the different gene products...
- Porin isolated from the outer membrane of Erwinia amylovora and its encoding geneM Elazar
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 52900, Israel
Curr Microbiol 54:155-61. 2007..The monomers of Omp-EA porin presented a topology of 16 transmembranal beta-strands...
- The role of lipids for the functional integrity of porin: an FTIR study using lipid and protein reporter groupsFiliz Korkmaz
Institute of Biophysics, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Max von Laue Strasse 1, D 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Biochemistry 47:12126-34. 2008..girdle of OmpF and the interfacial region of the lipid bilayer, leading to monomerization of this trimeric porin. The second step at 75 degrees C is attributed to the changes in lipid-porin monomer interaction...
- Identification of porin-like polypeptide(s) in the boundary membrane of oilseed glyoxysomesF J Corpas
Departamento de Bioquimica, Biologia Celular y Molecular de Plantas, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, CSIC, Apdo 419, E 18080 Granada, Spain
Plant Cell Physiol 41:1218-28. 2000..Evidence is presented in this study that this 36-kDa polypeptide is a glyoxysomal membrane porin. A sequence of 24 amino acid residues derived from a CNBr-cleaved fragment of the 36-kDa polypeptide revealed 72% ..
- Distinct sensitivities of OmpF and PhoE porins to charged modulatorsH Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, TX 77204 5513, USA
FEBS Lett 444:65-70. 1999The inhibition of the anion-selective PhoE porin by ATP and of the cation-selective OmpF porin by polyamines has been previously documented...
- Polyamines decrease Escherichia coli outer membrane permeabilityA L Dela Vega
Department of Biology, University of Houston, Texas 77204, USA
J Bacteriol 178:3715-21. 1996..of the outer membranes of gram-negative bacteria to hydrophilic compounds is mostly due to the presence of porin channels...
- The growth rate of Mycobacterium smegmatis depends on sufficient porin-mediated influx of nutrientsJoachim Stephan
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Staudtstrasse 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 58:714-30. 2005..Nutrients cross this permeability barrier by diffusion through porins. MspA is the major porin of Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- Crystal structure of Omp32, the anion-selective porin from Comamonas acidovorans, in complex with a periplasmic peptide at 2.1 A resolutionK Zeth
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abteilung Molekulare Strukturbiologie, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152, Martinsried, Germany
Structure 8:981-92. 2000..Here, we investigate the strongly anion-selective porin Omp32 from Comamonas acidovorans, which is closely homologous to the porins of pathogenic Bordetella and Neisseria ..
- Downregulation of mitochondrial porin inhibits cell growth and alters respiratory phenotype in Trypanosoma bruceiUjjal K Singha
Department of Microbial Pathogenesis and Immune Response, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Eukaryot Cell 8:1418-28. 2009b>Porin is the most abundant outer membrane (OM) protein of mitochondria. It forms the aqueous channel on the mitochondrial OM and mediates major metabolite flux between mitochondria and cytosol...
- Porin protein of Neisseria gonorrhoeae: cloning and gene structureE C Gotschlich
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Immunology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:8135-9. 1987The outer membrane porin molecule of Neisseria gonorrhoeae is known as protein I (PI). Among different strains of gonococci there is variability of PI, and two main classes, PIA and PIB, have been recognized...
- Effects of a mutation in the Drosophila porin gene encoding mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel protein on phototransductionSunji Lee
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Kyunghee University, Yongin si, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Dev Neurobiol 67:1533-45. 2007..The annotation database of the Drosophila melanogaster genome sequence has identified four genes (porin, CG17137, CG17139, and CG17140) encoding different isoforms of VDACs...
- Outer membrane porin M35 of Moraxella catarrhalis mediates susceptibility to aminopenicillinsMarion Jetter
Institute for Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
BMC Microbiol 9:188. 2009The outer membrane protein M35 is a conserved porin of type 1 strains of the respiratory pathogen Moraxella catarrhalis...
- Characterisation of porin genes from Mycobacterium fortuitum and their impact on growthSoroush Sharbati
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institute of Veterinary Biochemistry, Berlin, Germany
BMC Microbiol 9:31. 2009..Here, porin genes from M...
- Tuning of the porin expression under anaerobic growth conditions by his-to-Asp cross-phosphorelay through both the EnvZ-osmosensor and ArcB-anaerosensor in Escherichia coliM Matsubara
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, School of Agriculture, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Genes Cells 5:555-69. 2000..We have addressed this issue, with special reference to the osmo-responsive EnvZ and anaero-responsive ArcB phosphorelay signalling pathways in E. coli...
- Structural architecture of an outer membrane channel as determined by electron crystallographyB K Jap
Donner Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Nature 350:167-70. 1991..b>Porin channels have been shown in vitro to be voltage-gated...
- Cadaverine inhibition of porin plays a role in cell survival at acidic pHHrissi Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
J Bacteriol 185:13-9. 2003When grown at acidic pH, Escherichia coli cells secrete cadaverine, a polyamine known to inhibit porin-mediated outer membrane permeability...
- Altered pore properties and kinetic changes in mutants of the Vibrio cholerae porin OmpUBrian Lauman
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 5001, USA
Mol Membr Biol 25:498-505. 2008..was used to characterize the pore properties of site-directed mutants in the Vibrio cholerae general diffusion porin OmpU...
- Crystal structure of the monomeric porin OmpGGowtham V Subbarao
Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 373 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Mol Biol 360:750-9. 2006..In contrast, the OmpG porin is unique, as it appears to function as a monomer...
- Phenotypic characterization of pore mutants of the Vibrio cholerae porin OmpUMelissa Pagel
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, 369 Science and Research Building II, Houston, TX 77204 5001, USA
J Bacteriol 189:8593-600. 2007..Here, we have analyzed the effects of mutations in the OmpU porin of Vibrio cholerae at conserved residues that are known to affect pore properties in the Escherichia coli porins ..
- Proteomic analysis of human U937 cell line activation mediated by Haemophilus influenzae type b P2 porin and its surface-exposed loop 7Valeria Severino
Department of Life Science, Second University of Naples, Via Vivaldi 43, I 81100 Caserta, Italy
J Proteome Res 9:1050-62. 2010..P2 porin, one of the best-characterized porins in terms of its functional characteristics, is the most abundant OMP in Hib ..
- The porin OmpD from nontyphoidal Salmonella is a key target for a protective B1b cell antibody responseCristina Gil-Cruz
School of Immunity and Infection and Medical Research Council Centre for Immune Regulation, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9803-8. 2009..Furthermore Ab from porin-immunized chimeras, that have B1b cells, is sufficient to impair infection...
- A common channel-forming motif in evolutionarily distant porinsR A Pauptit
Biocenter, University of Basel, Switzerland
J Struct Biol 107:136-45. 1991..packings of Escherichia coli porins are presented (phosphoporin, maltoporin, and two crystal forms of matrix porin)...
- The quantitation of ADP diffusion gradients across the outer membrane of heart mitochondria in the presence of macromoleculesFrank Norbert Gellerich
Muskellabor der Neurologischen Klinik und Poliklinik, Martin Luther Universitat, Halle Wittenberg, Julius Kühn Str 7, D 06097 Halle Saale, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1554:48-56. 2002We have previously provided evidence that diffusion of metabolites across the porin pores of mitochondrial outer membrane is hindered...
- DNA sequence and expression of the 36-kilodalton outer membrane protein gene of Brucella abortusT A Ficht
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, Texas A and M, University, College Station 77843
Infect Immun 57:3281-91. 1989..The amino acid composition of the predicted proteins was similar to that obtained for the Brucella porin isolated by Verstreate et al. (D. R. Verstreate, M. T. Creasy, N. T. Caveney, C. L. Baldwin, M. W. Blab, and A. J...
- Crystal structure and functional characterization of OmpK36, the osmoporin of Klebsiella pneumoniaeR Dutzler
Department of Structural Biology, Biozentrum University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Structure 7:425-34. 1999..In Escherichia coli, major nonspecific porins are matrix porin (OmpF) and osmoporin (OmpC), which show high sequence homology...
- The porin protein of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli: reactivity in immunoblotting, antibody-binding by the native protein, and cross-reactivity with other enteric bacteriaA Z Henriksen
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Trondheim, Norway
Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand B 95:315-21. 1987The experimental conditions for antibody-binding by the 38.5 kD porin protein of an E. coli 055 strain in immunoblotting were investigated...
- The MspA porin promotes growth and increases antibiotic susceptibility of both Mycobacterium bovis BCG and Mycobacterium tuberculosisClaudia Mailaender
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Staudtstr 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Microbiology 150:853-64. 2004..To examine the importance of porins in slow-growing mycobacteria, the major porin MspA of Mycobacterium smegmatis was expressed in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium bovis...
- Molecular and structural characterization of the HMP-AB gene encoding a pore-forming protein from a clinical isolate of Acinetobacter baumanniiAnna Gribun
Health Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Curr Microbiol 47:434-43. 2003The major outer membrane protein of Acinetobacter baumannii is the heat-modifiable protein HMP-AB, a porin with a large pore size allowing the penetration of solutes having a molecular weight of up to approximately 800 Da...
- Efficacy of cefepime and imipenem in experimental murine pneumonia caused by porin-deficient Klebsiella pneumoniae producing CMY-2 beta-LactamaseCristina Pichardo
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Apdo 914, 41080 Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3311-6. 2005Previous studies have shown decreased in vitro activity of zwitterionic cephalosporins and carbapenems against porin-deficient Klebsiella pneumoniae expressing a plasmid-mediated AmpC-type beta-lactamase (PACBL)...
- Porin A-specific antibody avidity in patients who are convalescing from meningococcal B diseaseClementien L Vermont
Laboratory for Vaccine Research, Netherlands Vaccine Institute, 3720 AL Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 58:149-52. 2005b>Porin A (PorA), which determines the serosubtype of Neisseria meningitidis, is the main antigen of a candidate vaccine against serogroup B meningococci, which has been shown to induce high-avidity antibodies in children...
- Porin of Shigella dysenteriae enhances mRNA levels for Toll-like receptor 2 and MyD88, up-regulates CD80 of murine macrophage, and induces the release of interleukin-12Avijit Ray
National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, P 33, C I T Road, Scheme XM, Kolkata 700 010, West Bengal, India
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 39:213-9. 2003Sera of patients convalescing from shigellosis reacted strongly and specifically with the 38,000 Da monomer of porin of Shigella dysenteriae type 1. Since human, the only natural host of S...
- Immunization with the recombinant PorB outer membrane protein induces a bactericidal immune response against Neisseria meningitidisJ Claire Wright
Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Division of Infection, Inflammation and Repair, University of Southampton Medical School, and Southampton General Hospital, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 70:4028-34. 2002..The meningococcal porin proteins from serogroup B meningococci have been identified as candidates for inclusion in vaccines to prevent ..
- Altered channel properties of porins from Haemophilus influenzae: isolates from cystic fibrosis patientsM A Arbing
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, 3775 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A 2B4
J Membr Biol 189:131-41. 2002Changes in amino-acid sequence of the unique pore-forming protein of H. influenzae (OmpP2; porin) have been associated with increased antimicrobial resistance in H. influenzae strains isolated from cystic fibrosis patients...
- OmpR and LeuO positively regulate the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi ompS2 porin geneMarcos Fernández-Mora
Departamento de Microbiologia Molecular, Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62210, Mexico
J Bacteriol 186:2909-20. 2004..serovar Typhi ompS2 gene codes for a 362-amino-acid outer membrane protein that contains motifs common to the porin superfamily. It is expressed at very low levels compared to the major OmpC and OmpF porins, as observed for S...
- Renaturation of recombinant Treponema pallidum rare outer membrane protein 1 into a trimeric, hydrophobic, and porin-active conformationH H Zhang
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Bacteriol 181:7168-75. 1999..observed that while native Treponema pallidum rare outer membrane protein 1 (Tromp1) is hydrophobic and has porin activity, recombinant forms of Tromp1 do not possess these properties...
- EBV up-regulates cytochrome c through VDAC1 regulations and decreases the release of cytoplasmic Ca2+ in the NPC cell lineXuesong Feng
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Technological University, 62 Nanyang Drive 637459, Singapore
Cell Biol Int 36:733-8. 2012..One of the important proteins named VDAC1 (voltage-dependent anion protein 1) on the mitochondrial outer membrane controls the pro-apoptotic signals in ..
- A new mechanism of antibiotic resistance in Enterobacteriaceae induced by a structural modification of the major porinE De
UMR 6522, CNRS, IFRMP 23, Faculte des Sciences, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Mol Microbiol 41:189-98. 2001..resistance involves a decrease in outer membrane permeability associated with changes in an as yet uncharacterized porin. We purified the major porin from the wild-type strain and a resistant strain...
- Genes for the major structural components of Thermotogales species' togas revealed by proteomic and evolutionary analyses of OmpA and OmpB homologsAmanda K Petrus
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e40236. 2012..proteins have been purified and characterized in Thermotoga maritima: the anchor protein OmpA1 (or Ompα) and the porin OmpB (or Ompβ)...
- Prostacyclin receptor-mediated ATP release from erythrocytes requires the voltage-dependent anion channelMeera Sridharan
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, MO 63104, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 302:H553-9. 2012....
- Affixing N-terminal α-helix to the wall of the voltage-dependent anion channel does not prevent its voltage gatingOscar Teijido
Program in Physical Biology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 287:11437-45. 2012..The three-dimensional structure of VDAC1 reveals a channel formed by 19 β-strands and an N-terminal α-helix located near the midpoint of the pore...
- Engineered oligomerization state of OmpF protein through computational design decouples oligomer dissociation from unfoldingHammad Naveed
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Mol Biol 419:89-101. 2012..The bacterial porin family is perhaps the best-studied protein family among β-barrel membrane proteins that allows diffusion of small ..
- Increased expression of VDAC1 sensitizes carcinoma cells to apoptosis induced by DNA cross-linking agentsOssama Sharaf el Dein
INSERM UMR S 769, LabEx LERMIT, Universite Paris Sud 11, 5 rue J B Clement, Chatenay Malabry, France
Biochem Pharmacol 83:1172-82. 2012..We further showed that, among the pro-apoptotic PTP regulators tested (VDAC1, creatine kinase, ANT1 and ANT3), exogenous overexpression of VDAC1 was the most effective in enhancing Cisp- and ..
- Alteration in expression of Serratia marcescens porins associated with decreased outer membrane permeabilityT Hashizume
Tsukuba Research Institute, Banyu Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tsukuba, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 31:21-8. 1993The porin expression of two clinical isolates of Serratia marcescens, which overproduced cephalosporinase and had decreased outer membrane permeability, were studied in comparison with those of reference strains...
- The single mitochondrial porin of Trypanosoma brucei is the main metabolite transporter in the outer mitochondrial membraneMascha Pusnik
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Mol Biol Evol 26:671-80. 2009..The single T. brucei mitochondrial porin is essential only under growth conditions that depend on oxidative phosphorylation...
- Isolation and characterization of the Omp-PA porin from Porphyromonas asaccharolytica, determination of the omp-PA gene sequence and prediction of Omp-PA protein structureLana Magalashvili
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Anaerobe 13:74-82. 2007A single monomeric porin, Omp-PA (37kDa), was isolated from the outer membrane of the gram-negative anaerobic rod Porphyromonas asaccharolytica...
- STRUCTURE OF BACTERIAL MEMBRANE PROTEINSR Garavito; Fiscal Year: 1992..A high resolution (less than 2.9 angstroms) X-ray structure determination of the OMpF porin from E. coli is a major focus of the research effort...
- Porins of Mycobacterium tuberculosisMichael Niederweis; Fiscal Year: 2009..We recently discovered two porins of M. tuberculosis that complement the permeability defects of a porin mutant of M. smegmatis. Both purified recombinant proteins showed channel activity in lipid bilayer experiments...
- MOLECULAR PROPERTIES AND MODULATION OF BACTERIAL PORINSANNE DELCOUR; Fiscal Year: 2003..Changes in porin expression patterns have also been observed in virulent strains of E. coli causing urinary tract infections...
- OUTER MEMBRANE PERMEABILITY OF PSEUDOMONAS CEPACIAJane Burns; Fiscal Year: 1992..A clinical isolate with an antibiotic-impermeable porin has been identified and the DNA encoding resistance has been cloned; the porin protein shows no apparent ..
- HOST CELL RECOGNITION OF SALMONELLA TYPHIMURIUMTHOMAS PISTOLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Porin-deficient mutants will be compared with their corresponding wildtype counterparts in their ability to adhere to ..
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION STUDIES OF MOLECULAR CHAPERONESDavid McKay; Fiscal Year: 2007..vitro peptide binding activity with in vivo interactions with membrane proteins, and ultimately to develop an in vitro assay of bacterial porin folding and assembly that will allow direct biochemical assay of SurA and related proteins.
- Effect of Neisserial Porin in Immune Cell ApoptosisLee Wetzler; Fiscal Year: 2006..We found that the anti-apoptotic effect is due to a direct interaction of the porin with mitochondria (a central control point for apoptotic cell death)...
- IMMUNOPROTECTIVE POTENTIAL OF PORINS AND ANTI-PORIN MABSShiva Singh; Fiscal Year: 1991..This proposal deals with the study of the immunoprotective potential of Salmonella typhimurium porins and anti-porin monoclonal antibodies in experimental murine salmonellosis...
- IMMUNOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAEPeter Rice; Fiscal Year: 2003..complement pathway regulatory protein factor H to sialylated lipooligosaccharide (LOS) and to loop 5 of porin protein (Por) IA...
- High Throughput Protein Production by Novel E. coli Expression-Secretion SystemWILLIAM MACCONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Published work has shown that fusion of coding regions such as: scFv antibody chain, E. coli outer membrane porin (OmpF), chloramphenicol acetyltransferase (CAT), or L-asparagenase genes to the c-terminal 200 amino acid portions ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF LIVER CELL NECROSISJohn Farber; Fiscal Year: 2005..and apoptosis direct physical connections through the cytoskeleton between the outer mitochondrial membrane (porin in particular) and the plasma membrane mediate the energy-independent coupling of the MPT to the loss of viability ..
- GONOCOCCAL PIA--ROLE IN INVASION OF FALLOPIAN TUBE CELLGARY GORBY; Fiscal Year: 1999..GC Por or PI, the focus of this proposal, is an outer membrane porin protein that comes in two forms, PIA or PIB. It does not vary within a single GC strain...