Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VDAC1
Description: voltage-dependent anion channel 1
Alias: PORIN, VDAC-1, outer mitochondrial membrane protein porin 1, plasmalemmal porin, porin 31HL, porin 31HM, voltage-dependent anion-selective channel protein 1
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- Bax interacts with the permeability transition pore to induce permeability transition and cytochrome c release in isolated mitochondriaM Narita
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedical Research Center, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14681-6. 1998..Taken together, these findings suggest that proapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, including Bax and Bak, induce the mitochondrial PT and cytochrome c release by interacting with the PT pores...
- Bcl-2 family proteins regulate the release of apoptogenic cytochrome c by the mitochondrial channel VDACS Shimizu
Osaka University Medical School, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, Suita, Japan
Nature 399:483-7. 1999..In agreement with this, VDAC1-deficient mitochondria from a mutant yeast did not exhibit a Bax/Bak-induced loss in membrane potential and ..
- The HIV-1 viral protein R induces apoptosis via a direct effect on the mitochondrial permeability transition poreE Jacotot
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 94801 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 191:33-46. 2000..Hence, Vpr induces apoptosis via a direct effect on the mitochondrial PTPC...
- Control of mitochondrial membrane permeabilization by adenine nucleotide translocator interacting with HIV-1 viral protein rR and Bcl-2E Jacotot
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 1599, Institut Gustave Roussy, F 94805 Villejuif, France
J Exp Med 193:509-19. 2001..Concomitantly, Bcl-2 suppresses channel formation by the ANT-Vpr complex in synthetic membranes. In conclusion, both Vpr and Bcl-2 modulate MMP through a direct interaction with ANT...
- Cyclophilin-D binds strongly to complexes of the voltage-dependent anion channel and the adenine nucleotide translocase to form the permeability transition poreM Crompton
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, UK
Eur J Biochem 258:729-35. 1998..band on SDS/PAGE resolved into a doublet and reacted with antibodies against the voltage-dependent anion channel (porin) and the adenine nucleotide translocase...
- BH4 domain of antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family members closes voltage-dependent anion channel and inhibits apoptotic mitochondrial changes and cell deathS Shimizu
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, and Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology CREST of Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:3100-5. 2000..Finally, the data suggest that the TAT-BH4 peptide is potentially useful as a therapeutic agent for diseases caused by accelerated apoptosis...
- Cloning and functional expression in yeast of two human isoforms of the outer mitochondrial membrane channel, the voltage-dependent anion channelE Blachly-Dyson
Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research, Portland, Oregon
J Biol Chem 268:1835-41. 1993..The expression of each human cDNA has been assessed by Northern blot and polymerase chain reaction techniques. With one exception, each is expressed in all human cell lines and tissues examined...
- Proapoptotic BH3-only Bcl-2 family members induce cytochrome c release, but not mitochondrial membrane potential loss, and do not directly modulate voltage-dependent anion channel activityS Shimizu
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Biomedical Research Center, Department of Medical Genetics, CREST of Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:577-82. 2000..These findings indicated the involvement of a different mechanism in BH3-only, protein-induced apoptogenic cytochrome c release...
- [Identification of human porins. II. Characterization and primary structure of a 31-lDa porin from human B lymphocytes (Porin 31HL)]H Kayser
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Immunchemie, Gottingen
Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 370:1265-78. 1989..structure of a human porin with the molecular mass of 31 kDa derived from the plasmalemm of B-lymphocytes (Porin 31HL). Porin 31HL is shown to be a basic, channel forming membrane protein...
- Isolation of the mitochondrial benzodiazepine receptor: association with the voltage-dependent anion channel and the adenine nucleotide carrierM W McEnery
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205 2185
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:3170-4. 1992..VDAC and ADC, outer and inner mitochondrial membrane channel proteins, respectively, together with the 18-kDa subunit, may comprise mBzR at functionally important transport sites at the junction of two mitochondrial membranes...
- Neisseria meningitidis porin PorB interacts with mitochondria and protects cells from apoptosisP Massari
Evans Biomedical Research Center, 650 Albany Street, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9070-5. 2000Neisserial porins are strong immune adjuvants and B cell activators. The effect of neisserial porin PorB on activation-induced cell death was investigated, as a potential additional mechanism of the porin's immunopotentiating ability...
- Functional characterization of the conserved "GLK" motif in mitochondrial porin from Neurospora crassaG Runke
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
J Bioenerg Biomembr 32:563-70. 2000Mitochondrial porin facilitates the diffusion of small hydrophilic molecules across the mitochondrial outer membrane...
- [The mechanism of antigen-presentation of porin from Salmonella typhimurium to T lymphocytes]K Matsui
Department of Microbiology, Meiji College of Pharmacy
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:491-4. 1994..It is understood that these three species of proteins construct porin trimers and the porin trimers from the wild type strain of S...
- Modulation of the voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC) by glutamateD Gincel
Department of Life Sciences, The Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
J Bioenerg Biomembr 32:571-83. 2000The voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC), also known as mitochondrial porin, is a large channel permeable to anions, cations, ATP, and other metabolites...
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms used in the acute phase of stimulated steroidogenesisM Thomson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Western Sydney Nepean, Kingswood, Australia
Horm Metab Res 30:16-28. 1998..These contact sites may be composed of protein bridges which include the constituents, porin, the benzodiazepine receptor and GTP binding proteins...
- [Alteration of serotype and drug susceptibility of some Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates by exposure to human serum and polymorphonuclear leukocytes]I Kobayashi
Chemotherapy Division, Mitsubishi Yuka Bio Clinical Laboratories, Inc. Tokyo
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:500-7. 1994..susceptibilities to some beta-lactams and norfloxacin which could penetrate into the bacterial cells through the porin channels of the outer membrane...
- Binding of rat brain hexokinase to recombinant yeast mitochondria: identification of necessary molecular determinantsH Azoulay-Zohar
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Bioenerg Biomembr 31:569-79. 1999..brain hexokinase to mitochondria from rat liver or yeast (wild type, porinless, or expressing recombinant human porin) was studied in an effort to identify minimal requirements for each component...
- Diffusion of beta-lactam antibiotics through oligomeric or monomeric porin channels of some gram-negative bacteriaYeshayahu Nitzan
Health Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Curr Microbiol 45:446-55. 2002..The major proteins with porin activity were purified from the outer membranes of six bacteria. Three of the six porins were oligomeric porins...
- Homology models of the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis and Yersinia pestis general porins and comparative analysis of their functional and antigenic regionsG N Likhatskaya
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of Far East Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Pr 100 Let Vladivostoku 159, 690022 Russia
J Biomol Struct Dyn 23:163-74. 2005The amino acid sequences of the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis porin (YPS) and Y. pestis porin (YPT) have recently deduced but their three-dimensional structures were not known...
- Energy-dependent accumulation of norfloxacin and porin expression in clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae and relationship to extended-spectrum beta-lactamase productionLuis Martinez-Martinez
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3926-32. 2002The relationships between porin deficiency, active efflux of fluoroquinolones, and extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) production were determined for 53 clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae...
- Characterization of further association of the trimeric membrane protein porin by low-angle laser-light scattering photometry coupled with high-performance gel chromatographyY Watanabe
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Japan
J Chromatogr A 653:241-6. 1993b>Porin (OmpF), a trimeric membrane protein, in an extract of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli gave a twin-peaked elution pattern on Sephacryl S-300HR gel chromatography in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulphate...
- X-ray crystallographic and mass spectrometric structure determination and functional characterization of succinylated porin from Rhodobacter capsulatus: implications for ion selectivity and single-channel conductanceM Przybylski
Universitat Konstanz, Fakultat fur Chemie, Germany
Protein Sci 5:1477-89. 1996..To introduce new negative charges in a channel protein, amino groups of porin from Rhodobacter capsulatus 37b4 were succinylated with succinic anhydride, and the precise extent and sites of ..
- Identification of positively charged residues of FomA porin of Fusobacterium nucleatum which are important for pore functionH Kleivdal
Department Molecular Biology, Unviversity of Bergen, Norway
Eur J Biochem 260:818-24. 1999FomA porin is the major outer-membrane protein of Fusobacterium nucleatum. It exhibits the functional properties of a general diffusion porin, but has no sequence similarity to other porins...
- Porins from Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium activate the transcription factors activating protein 1 and NF-kappaB through the Raf-1-mitogen-activated protein kinase cascadeMassimiliano Galdiero
Istituto di Microbiologia, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, 80138 Naples, Italy
Infect Immun 70:558-68. 2002..that these enzymes may participate in cell signaling pathways leading to AP-1 and NF-kappaB activation following porin stimulation of cells...
- Molecular, antigenic, and functional analyses of Omp2b porin size variants of Brucella sppJ Y Paquet
Unité de Recherche en Biologie Moléculaire URBM, Laboratoire d Immunologie Microbiologie, Facultes Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix, 5000 Namur, Belgium
J Bacteriol 183:4839-47. 2001..The variation of the Omp2a and Omp2b porin sequences among the various strains of the genus Brucella seems to result mostly from multiple gene conversions ..
- Roles of beta-lactamases and porins in activities of carbapenems and cephalosporins against Klebsiella pneumoniaeL Martinez-Martinez
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1669-73. 1999..The contribution of porin deficiency was investigated by restoring a functional ompK36 gene on a plasmid...
- How beta-lactam antibiotics enter bacteria: a dialogue with the porinsChloe E James
UMR MD 1, Transporteurs Membranaires, Chimioresistance et Drug Design, Faculte de Medecine, IFR 88, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5453. 2009..Clinical reports have linked the MDR phenotype to altered membrane permeability including porin modification and efflux pump expression.
- Role of porins for uptake of antibiotics by Mycobacterium smegmatisOlga Danilchanka
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3127-34. 2008..Here, we examined which antibiotics utilize the porin pathway across the outer membrane of the model organism Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- A putative alpha-helical porin from Corynebacterium glutamicumKarin Ziegler
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, Albertstr 21, 79104 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
J Mol Biol 379:482-91. 2008..The exchange of material across this barrier requires porins. Porin B (PorB) is one of them...
- The role of the lipoprotein sorting signal (aspartate +2) in pullulanase secretionI Poquet
, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 9:1061-9. 1993..pullulanase variant with a serine at position +2 cofractionated mainly with the major peak of outer membrane porin. In contrast, most (55%) of a pullulanase variant with an aspartate at position +2 cofractionated with slightly ..
- Effects of ergosterol on the structure and activity of Neurospora mitochondrial porin in liposomesDenice C Bay
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 55:1275-83. 2009..Therefore, in this work, a freeze-thaw technique was used to introduce recombinant Neurospora porin into liposomes containing, or lacking, the native fungal sterol ergosterol...
- The gene bglH present in the bgl operon of Escherichia coli, responsible for uptake and fermentation of beta-glucosides encodes for a carbohydrate-specific outer membrane porinC Andersen
Lehrstuhl fur Biotechnologie, Theodor Boveri Institut Biozentrum der Universität Würzburg, Germany
Mol Microbiol 31:499-510. 1999..The resulting plasmid was transferred into the porin-deficient E. coli strain KS26 and the protein was expressed by addition of IPTG...
- Paradoxical effect of Klebsiella pneumoniae OmpK36 porin deficiencyXiuhong Jiang
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pathology 41:388-92. 2009..To evaluate the effect of defined mutations in the major OmpK35 and OmpK36 porins in Klebsiella pneumoniae on the activity of two common plasmid-mediated AmpC enzymes...
- Excretion of endogenous cadaverine leads to a decrease in porin-mediated outer membrane permeabilityH Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 5513, USA
J Bacteriol 181:791-8. 1999The permeability of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli to hydrophilic compounds is controlled by porin channels...
- Induction of tyrosine phosphorylated proteins in THP-1 cells by Salmonella typhimurium, Pasteurella haemolytica and Haemophilus influenzae porinsM Galdiero
Dipartimento di Patologia e Sanita Animale, Facolta di Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 31:121-30. 2001..After porin stimulation a pattern of tyrosine phosphorylated proteins appeared in the soluble cytoplasmic fraction, in the ..
- Topological investigations of the FomA porin from Fusobacterium nucleatum and identification of the constriction loop L6H Kleivdal
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, HIB, Thormøhlensgate 55, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Microbiology 147:1059-67. 2001b>Porin FomA in the outer membrane of Fusobacterium nucleatum is a trimeric protein, which exhibits permeability properties similar to that of the well-known enterobacterial diffusion porins...
- Site-directed mutagenesis studies to probe the role of specific residues in the external loop (L3) of OmpF and OmpC porins in susceptibility of Serratia marcescens to antibioticsSanela Begic
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 53:710-9. 2007..to this natural antibiotic resistance is reduced outer membrane permeability, controlled in part by OmpF and OmpC porin proteins...
- The PorB porin from commensal Neisseria lactamica induces Th1 and Th2 immune responses to ovalbumin in mice and is a potential immune adjuvantXiuping Liu
Evans Biomedical Research Center, Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 650 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Vaccine 26:786-96. 2008..The PorB porin from Neisseria lactamica (Nlac), a common nasopharyngeal commensal, shares significant structural and functional ..
- A novel OmpY porin from Yersinia pseudotuberculosis: structure, channel-forming activity and trimer thermal stabilityT F Solov'eva
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry FEBRAS, Prospect 100 Let Vladivostoku 159, Vladivostok 690022, Russia
J Biomol Struct Dyn 28:517-33. 2011A novel OmpY porin was predicted based on the Yersinia pseudotuberculosis genome analysis. Whereas it has the different genomic annotation such as "outer membrane protein N" (ABS46310.1) in str...
- The influence of sterols on the conformation of recombinant mitochondrial porin in detergentDenice C Bay
Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 86:539-45. 2008..Nonetheless, the contributions of sterols to the folded state of mitochondrial porin are not understood...
- Putative porin of Bradyrhizobium sp. (Lupinus) bacteroids induced by glyphosateNuria de María
Instituto de Recursos Naturales, Centro de Ciencias Medioambientales, CSIC, Serrano, 115 bis, E 28006 Madrid, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5075-82. 2007..It is putatively encoded by a single gene, and the protein has been identified as a putative porin. Protein modeling revealed the existence of several domains sharing similarity to different porins, such as a ..
- Molecular characterization of the interaction between porins of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and C4b-binding proteinHanna Jarva
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Medical Protein Chemistry, University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
J Immunol 179:540-7. 2007..The resistance of N. gonorrhoeae to normal human serum killing correlates with porin (Por)-mediated binding to the complement inhibitor, C4b-binding protein (C4BP)...
- Expression and porin activity of P28 and OMP-1F during intracellular Ehrlichia chaffeensis developmentYumi Kumagai
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, 1925 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210 1093, USA
J Bacteriol 190:3597-605. 2008..Here we demonstrate that isolated E. chaffeensis outer membranes have porin activities, as determined by a proteoliposome swelling assay...
- Moraxella catarrhalis M35 is a general porin that is important for growth under nutrient-limiting conditions and in the nasopharynges of miceDonna M Easton
Faculty of Science, University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601, Australia
J Bacteriol 190:7994-8002. 2008..We have previously predicted the outer membrane protein M35 to be a general porin, and in the current study, we have investigated the function of M35 and its importance for survival of M...
- VDAC1 serves as a mitochondrial binding site for hexokinase in oxidative musclesKeltoum Anflous-Pharayra
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1767:136-42. 2007..that mitochondria-bound hexokinase activity is significantly reduced in oxidative muscles (heart and soleus) in vdac1(-/-) mice. The activity data were supported by western blot analysis using HK2 specific antibody...
- Functional characterization of a second porin isoform in Drosophila melanogaster. DmPorin2 forms voltage-independent cation-selective poresRita Aiello
Department of Chemical Sciences, University of Catania, 95125 Catania, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:25364-73. 2004..Genome sequencing of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster revealed the presence of three additional porin-like genes. No functional information was available for the different gene products...
- Resistance to extended-spectrum beta-lactams by the emergence of SHV-12 and the loss of OmpK35 in Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli in MalaysiaSelvi Palasubramaniam
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 42:129-33. 2009..This study describes the detection of SHV-12 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) subtype and the loss of OmpK35 porin in 4 strains of K. pneumoniae and E. coli.
- Porin isolated from the outer membrane of Erwinia amylovora and its encoding geneM Elazar
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 52900, Israel
Curr Microbiol 54:155-61. 2007..The monomers of Omp-EA porin presented a topology of 16 transmembranal beta-strands...
- Identification of porin-like polypeptide(s) in the boundary membrane of oilseed glyoxysomesF J Corpas
Departamento de Bioquimica, Biologia Celular y Molecular de Plantas, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, CSIC, Apdo 419, E 18080 Granada, Spain
Plant Cell Physiol 41:1218-28. 2000..Evidence is presented in this study that this 36-kDa polypeptide is a glyoxysomal membrane porin. A sequence of 24 amino acid residues derived from a CNBr-cleaved fragment of the 36-kDa polypeptide revealed 72% ..
- The role of lipids for the functional integrity of porin: an FTIR study using lipid and protein reporter groupsFiliz Korkmaz
Institute of Biophysics, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Max von Laue Strasse 1, D 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Biochemistry 47:12126-34. 2008..girdle of OmpF and the interfacial region of the lipid bilayer, leading to monomerization of this trimeric porin. The second step at 75 degrees C is attributed to the changes in lipid-porin monomer interaction...
- Distinct sensitivities of OmpF and PhoE porins to charged modulatorsH Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, TX 77204 5513, USA
FEBS Lett 444:65-70. 1999The inhibition of the anion-selective PhoE porin by ATP and of the cation-selective OmpF porin by polyamines has been previously documented...
- Polyamines decrease Escherichia coli outer membrane permeabilityA L Dela Vega
Department of Biology, University of Houston, Texas 77204, USA
J Bacteriol 178:3715-21. 1996..of the outer membranes of gram-negative bacteria to hydrophilic compounds is mostly due to the presence of porin channels...
- Crystal structure of Omp32, the anion-selective porin from Comamonas acidovorans, in complex with a periplasmic peptide at 2.1 A resolutionK Zeth
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Abteilung Molekulare Strukturbiologie, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152, Martinsried, Germany
Structure 8:981-92. 2000..Here, we investigate the strongly anion-selective porin Omp32 from Comamonas acidovorans, which is closely homologous to the porins of pathogenic Bordetella and Neisseria ..
- The growth rate of Mycobacterium smegmatis depends on sufficient porin-mediated influx of nutrientsJoachim Stephan
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Staudtstrasse 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 58:714-30. 2005..Nutrients cross this permeability barrier by diffusion through porins. MspA is the major porin of Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- Outer membrane porin M35 of Moraxella catarrhalis mediates susceptibility to aminopenicillinsMarion Jetter
Institute for Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
BMC Microbiol 9:188. 2009The outer membrane protein M35 is a conserved porin of type 1 strains of the respiratory pathogen Moraxella catarrhalis...
- Porin protein of Neisseria gonorrhoeae: cloning and gene structureE C Gotschlich
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Immunology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84:8135-9. 1987The outer membrane porin molecule of Neisseria gonorrhoeae is known as protein I (PI). Among different strains of gonococci there is variability of PI, and two main classes, PIA and PIB, have been recognized...
- Effects of a mutation in the Drosophila porin gene encoding mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel protein on phototransductionSunji Lee
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Kyunghee University, Yongin si, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Dev Neurobiol 67:1533-45. 2007..So far three distinct isoforms of VDAC (VDAC1-3) have been reported in vertebrates, but their functions remain unknown...
- Downregulation of mitochondrial porin inhibits cell growth and alters respiratory phenotype in Trypanosoma bruceiUjjal K Singha
Department of Microbial Pathogenesis and Immune Response, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Eukaryot Cell 8:1418-28. 2009b>Porin is the most abundant outer membrane (OM) protein of mitochondria. It forms the aqueous channel on the mitochondrial OM and mediates major metabolite flux between mitochondria and cytosol...
- Characterisation of porin genes from Mycobacterium fortuitum and their impact on growthSoroush Sharbati
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institute of Veterinary Biochemistry, Berlin, Germany
BMC Microbiol 9:31. 2009..Here, porin genes from M...
- Cadaverine inhibition of porin plays a role in cell survival at acidic pHHrissi Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
J Bacteriol 185:13-9. 2003When grown at acidic pH, Escherichia coli cells secrete cadaverine, a polyamine known to inhibit porin-mediated outer membrane permeability...
- Structural architecture of an outer membrane channel as determined by electron crystallographyB K Jap
Donner Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Nature 350:167-70. 1991..b>Porin channels have been shown in vitro to be voltage-gated...
- Tuning of the porin expression under anaerobic growth conditions by his-to-Asp cross-phosphorelay through both the EnvZ-osmosensor and ArcB-anaerosensor in Escherichia coliM Matsubara
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, School of Agriculture, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Genes Cells 5:555-69. 2000..We have addressed this issue, with special reference to the osmo-responsive EnvZ and anaero-responsive ArcB phosphorelay signalling pathways in E. coli...
- Altered pore properties and kinetic changes in mutants of the Vibrio cholerae porin OmpUBrian Lauman
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 5001, USA
Mol Membr Biol 25:498-505. 2008..was used to characterize the pore properties of site-directed mutants in the Vibrio cholerae general diffusion porin OmpU...
- Crystal structure of the monomeric porin OmpGGowtham V Subbarao
Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 373 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Mol Biol 360:750-9. 2006..In contrast, the OmpG porin is unique, as it appears to function as a monomer...
- Phenotypic characterization of pore mutants of the Vibrio cholerae porin OmpUMelissa Pagel
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, 369 Science and Research Building II, Houston, TX 77204 5001, USA
J Bacteriol 189:8593-600. 2007..Here, we have analyzed the effects of mutations in the OmpU porin of Vibrio cholerae at conserved residues that are known to affect pore properties in the Escherichia coli porins ..
- The porin OmpD from nontyphoidal Salmonella is a key target for a protective B1b cell antibody responseCristina Gil-Cruz
School of Immunity and Infection and Medical Research Council Centre for Immune Regulation, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9803-8. 2009..Furthermore Ab from porin-immunized chimeras, that have B1b cells, is sufficient to impair infection...
- Proteomic analysis of human U937 cell line activation mediated by Haemophilus influenzae type b P2 porin and its surface-exposed loop 7Valeria Severino
Department of Life Science, Second University of Naples, Via Vivaldi 43, I 81100 Caserta, Italy
J Proteome Res 9:1050-62. 2010..P2 porin, one of the best-characterized porins in terms of its functional characteristics, is the most abundant OMP in Hib ..
- A common channel-forming motif in evolutionarily distant porinsR A Pauptit
Biocenter, University of Basel, Switzerland
J Struct Biol 107:136-45. 1991..packings of Escherichia coli porins are presented (phosphoporin, maltoporin, and two crystal forms of matrix porin)...
- The quantitation of ADP diffusion gradients across the outer membrane of heart mitochondria in the presence of macromoleculesFrank Norbert Gellerich
Muskellabor der Neurologischen Klinik und Poliklinik, Martin Luther Universitat, Halle Wittenberg, Julius Kühn Str 7, D 06097 Halle Saale, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1554:48-56. 2002We have previously provided evidence that diffusion of metabolites across the porin pores of mitochondrial outer membrane is hindered...
- DNA sequence and expression of the 36-kilodalton outer membrane protein gene of Brucella abortusT A Ficht
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, Texas A and M, University, College Station 77843
Infect Immun 57:3281-91. 1989..The amino acid composition of the predicted proteins was similar to that obtained for the Brucella porin isolated by Verstreate et al. (D. R. Verstreate, M. T. Creasy, N. T. Caveney, C. L. Baldwin, M. W. Blab, and A. J...
- Crystal structure and functional characterization of OmpK36, the osmoporin of Klebsiella pneumoniaeR Dutzler
Department of Structural Biology, Biozentrum University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Structure 7:425-34. 1999..In Escherichia coli, major nonspecific porins are matrix porin (OmpF) and osmoporin (OmpC), which show high sequence homology...
- The porin protein of the outer membrane of Escherichia coli: reactivity in immunoblotting, antibody-binding by the native protein, and cross-reactivity with other enteric bacteriaA Z Henriksen
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Trondheim, Norway
Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand B 95:315-21. 1987The experimental conditions for antibody-binding by the 38.5 kD porin protein of an E. coli 055 strain in immunoblotting were investigated...
- A new mechanism of antibiotic resistance in Enterobacteriaceae induced by a structural modification of the major porinE De
UMR 6522, CNRS, IFRMP 23, Faculte des Sciences, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Mol Microbiol 41:189-98. 2001..resistance involves a decrease in outer membrane permeability associated with changes in an as yet uncharacterized porin. We purified the major porin from the wild-type strain and a resistant strain...
- Renaturation of recombinant Treponema pallidum rare outer membrane protein 1 into a trimeric, hydrophobic, and porin-active conformationH H Zhang
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Bacteriol 181:7168-75. 1999..observed that while native Treponema pallidum rare outer membrane protein 1 (Tromp1) is hydrophobic and has porin activity, recombinant forms of Tromp1 do not possess these properties...
- EBV up-regulates cytochrome c through VDAC1 regulations and decreases the release of cytoplasmic Ca2+ in the NPC cell lineXuesong Feng
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Technological University, 62 Nanyang Drive 637459, Singapore
Cell Biol Int 36:733-8. 2012..One of the important proteins named VDAC1 (voltage-dependent anion protein 1) on the mitochondrial outer membrane controls the pro-apoptotic signals in ..
- OmpR and LeuO positively regulate the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi ompS2 porin geneMarcos Fernández-Mora
Departamento de Microbiologia Molecular, Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62210, Mexico
J Bacteriol 186:2909-20. 2004..serovar Typhi ompS2 gene codes for a 362-amino-acid outer membrane protein that contains motifs common to the porin superfamily. It is expressed at very low levels compared to the major OmpC and OmpF porins, as observed for S...
- Genes for the major structural components of Thermotogales species' togas revealed by proteomic and evolutionary analyses of OmpA and OmpB homologsAmanda K Petrus
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e40236. 2012..proteins have been purified and characterized in Thermotoga maritima: the anchor protein OmpA1 (or Ompα) and the porin OmpB (or Ompβ)...
- Prostacyclin receptor-mediated ATP release from erythrocytes requires the voltage-dependent anion channelMeera Sridharan
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, MO 63104, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 302:H553-9. 2012....
- Affixing N-terminal α-helix to the wall of the voltage-dependent anion channel does not prevent its voltage gatingOscar Teijido
Program in Physical Biology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 287:11437-45. 2012..The three-dimensional structure of VDAC1 reveals a channel formed by 19 β-strands and an N-terminal α-helix located near the midpoint of the pore...
- Engineered oligomerization state of OmpF protein through computational design decouples oligomer dissociation from unfoldingHammad Naveed
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Mol Biol 419:89-101. 2012..The bacterial porin family is perhaps the best-studied protein family among β-barrel membrane proteins that allows diffusion of small ..
- Increased expression of VDAC1 sensitizes carcinoma cells to apoptosis induced by DNA cross-linking agentsOssama Sharaf el Dein
INSERM UMR S 769, LabEx LERMIT, Universite Paris Sud 11, 5 rue J B Clement, Chatenay Malabry, France
Biochem Pharmacol 83:1172-82. 2012..We further showed that, among the pro-apoptotic PTP regulators tested (VDAC1, creatine kinase, ANT1 and ANT3), exogenous overexpression of VDAC1 was the most effective in enhancing Cisp- and ..
- Porin activity of Anaplasma phagocytophilum outer membrane fraction and purified P44Haibin Huang
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Bacteriol 189:1998-2006. 2007..Here we demonstrate that the isolated outer membrane of A. phagocytophilum has porin activity, as measured by a liposome swelling assay...
- Structure-function relationships of CarO, the carbapenem resistance-associated outer membrane protein of Acinetobacter baumanniiManuella Catel-Ferreira
University of Rouen, Laboratoire Polymères Biopolymères Surfaces, UMR 6270 and FR 3038 CNRS, IFRMP23, F76821 Mont Saint Aignan, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:2053-6. 2011..increasing worldwide occurrence of imipenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii strains, we investigated a possible porin-mediated mechanism relating to the carbapenem resistance-associated outer membrane protein, CarO...
- BCS1L is expressed in critical regions for neural development during ontogenesis in miceHeike Kotarsky
Department of Pediatrics, Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Gene Expr Patterns 7:266-73. 2007..of BCS1L during mouse embryonic development and compared its expression with that of the mitochondrial markers Porin, GRIM19, Core I, and Rieske FeS...
- Molecular and genetic characterization of the gene family encoding the voltage-dependent anion channel in ArabidopsisChika Tateda
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8577, Japan
J Exp Bot 62:4773-85. 2011..determine the individual function of plant VDACs, molecular and genetic analysis was performed on four VDAC genes, VDAC1-VDAC4, found in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- Expression of the major porin gene mspA is regulated in Mycobacterium smegmatisDietmar Hillmann
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 609 Bevill Biomedical Research Building, 845 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Bacteriol 189:958-67. 2007MspA is the major porin of Mycobacterium smegmatis and is important for diffusion of small and hydrophilic solutes across its unique outer membrane...
- Protective efficiency of DNA vaccination in Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer) against Vibrio anguillarumS Rajesh Kumar
Aquaculture Biotechnology Division, Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam 632 509, Vellore Dt, Tamil Nadu, India
Fish Shellfish Immunol 23:316-26. 2007..Vibriosis caused by Vibrio anguillarum produces a 38-kDa major outer membrane porin protein (OMP) for biofilm formation and bile resistant activity...
- [Adhesional inhibiton of polyclonal anti-porin I antibody]Lei Zheng
The Affiliated Childrenos Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 36:78-83. 2007To investigate the blockness effects of purified polyclonal anti-porin I antibody on N. gonorrhoeae adherence to genitourinary tract epithelia of BALB/c mouse.
- Isolation and characterization of the Omp-PA porin from Porphyromonas asaccharolytica, determination of the omp-PA gene sequence and prediction of Omp-PA protein structureLana Magalashvili
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Anaerobe 13:74-82. 2007A single monomeric porin, Omp-PA (37kDa), was isolated from the outer membrane of the gram-negative anaerobic rod Porphyromonas asaccharolytica...
- Crystal structures of the OmpF porin: function in a colicin transloconEiki Yamashita
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1392, USA
EMBO J 27:2171-80. 2008The OmpF porin in the Escherichia coli outer membrane (OM) is required for the cytotoxic action of group A colicins, which are proposed to insert their translocation and active domains through OmpF pores...
- Brownian dynamics simulations of ion transport through the VDACKyu Il Lee
Center for Bioinformatics, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, USA
Biophys J 100:611-9. 2011..The difference in ion selectivity between the wild-type and the mutants is the result of altered potential of mean force profiles that are dominated by the electrostatic interactions...
- Response regulator ArcA of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium downregulates expression of OmpD, a porin facilitating uptake of hydrogen peroxideIván L Calderón
Laboratorio de Microbiologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Republica 217, Santiago, Chile
Res Microbiol 162:214-22. 2011Here we demonstrate that OmpD, the most abundant porin in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, facilitates uptake of hydrogen peroxide (H₂O₂) and that its expression is negatively regulated by ArcA upon peroxide exposure...
- Orientation of the monomeric porin OmpG in planar lipid bilayersMin Chen
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Chembiochem 9:3029-36. 2008Outer membrane protein G (OmpG) is a non-selective porin from Escherichia coli. OmpG is a monomer, which makes it unusual among porins, and suggests that it may be useful in biotechnology...
- Analysis of outer membrane porin complexes of Neisseria meningitidis in wild-type and specific knock-out mutant strainsJuan Marzoa
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Proteomics 9:648-56. 2009The structure of the porin complexes of Neisseria meningitidis was assessed in the vaccine strain H44/76 and its homologous mutants lacking the main porins (PorA and PorB) and other outer membrane (OM) components (RmpM and FetA)...
- Bioreductive activation of quinone antitumor drugs by mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel 1Eriko Simamura
Department of Molecular and Cell Structural Science, Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Japan
Anat Sci Int 83:261-6. 2008The authors recently demonstrated that the mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel 1 (VDAC1) is involved in the sensitivity of cancer cells to furanonaphthoquinone (FNQ)...
- Neuroendocrine differentiation of LNCaP cells suggests: VDAC in the cell membrane is involved in the extrinsic apoptotic pathwayFriedrich P Thinnes
Mol Genet Metab 97:241-3. 2009The primary structure of native human type-1 voltage dependent anion-selective channel/porin was presented twenty years ago, so was first data on its extra-mitochondrial expression in cell membranes of lymphocytes...
- Membrane permeability and regulation of drug "influx and efflux" in enterobacterial pathogensAnne Davin-Regli
UMR MD 1, Transporteurs Membranaires, Chimioresistance et Drug Design, Facultes de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Curr Drug Targets 9:750-9. 2008..Modification of the bacterial envelope by decreasing the porin production or increasing the expression of efflux pump systems has been reported...
- VDAC and ERalpha interaction in caveolae from human cortex is altered in Alzheimer's diseaseCristina M Ramírez
Laboratory of Cellular Neurobiology, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Biomedical Technologies, University of La Laguna, 38071 Sta Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Mol Cell Neurosci 42:172-83. 2009Voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC) is a mitochondrial porin also found in the neuronal membrane (pl-VDAC), where its function may be related to redox homeostasis and apoptosis...
- Neurologic dysfunction and male infertility in Drosophila porin mutants: a new model for mitochondrial dysfunction and diseaseBrett H Graham
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 285:11143-53. 2010..In Drosophila melanogaster, porin is the ubiquitously expressed VDAC isoform...
- Involvement of VDAC1 and Bcl-2 family of proteins in VacA-induced cytochrome c release and apoptosis of gastric epithelial carcinoma cellsChun Hui Lan
Department of Gastroenterology, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical College, Chongqing, China
J Dig Dis 11:43-9. 2010..The aim of this study is to investigate the role of Bcl family of proteins (Bcl-2 and Bax) and the mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel (VDAC) in VacA-induced apoptosis of AGS cells...
- Structures of the OmpF porin crystallized in the presence of foscholine-12Georgia Kefala
Structural Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Protein Sci 19:1117-25. 2010The endogenous Escherichia coli porin OmpF was crystallized as an accidental by-product of our efforts to express, purify, and crystallize the E. coli integral membrane protein KdpD in the presence of foscholine-12 (FC12)...
- Study of Mechanisms Leading to Multidrug-Resistant K. pneumoniae and A. baumanniiJohn Quale; Fiscal Year: 2007..pneumoniae and A. baumannii: 1) beta-lactamases, 2) porin deficiencies, and 3) antibiotic efflux systems...
- Neisserial Porins and Antigen Presenting CellsLEE MARK WETZLER; Fiscal Year: 2010Our laboratory has been investigating the immunobiology of the Neisserial porin PorB for the last two decades...
- Porins of Mycobacterium tuberculosisMichael Niederweis; Fiscal Year: 2009..We recently discovered two porins of M. tuberculosis that complement the permeability defects of a porin mutant of M. smegmatis. Both purified recombinant proteins showed channel activity in lipid bilayer experiments...
- REGULATION OF THE HEAT SHOCK RESPONSE IN E. COLICAROL ANNE GROSS; Fiscal Year: 2010..remaining ?E sRNAs and test the hypothesis that they function to provide overall surveillance of outer membrane porin content and critical control of the properties of the stress response...
- REGULATION OF THE HEAT SHOCK RESPONSE IN E. COLICarol Gross; Fiscal Year: 2009..remaining ?E sRNAs and test the hypothesis that they function to provide overall surveillance of outer membrane porin content and critical control of the properties of the stress response...
- MOLECULAR PROPERTIES AND MODULATION OF BACTERIAL PORINSANNE DELCOUR; Fiscal Year: 2003..Changes in porin expression patterns have also been observed in virulent strains of E. coli causing urinary tract infections...
- HOST CELL RECOGNITION OF SALMONELLA TYPHIMURIUMTHOMAS PISTOLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Porin-deficient mutants will be compared with their corresponding wildtype counterparts in their ability to adhere to ..
- Neisserial Porins and Antigen Presenting CellsLee Wetzler; Fiscal Year: 2005..following aims of the proposal will attempt to prove this hypothesis: 1) investigate the interaction of Neisserial porin with TLR2 and demonstrate the importance of TLR2 mediated signaling in their adjuvant activity, 2) explore the ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF BACTERIAL CELL MEMBRANESHiroshi Nikaido; Fiscal Year: 2007..retards the entry of antimicrobial agents, both hydrophilic and lipophilic, because the narrowness or paucity of porin channels makes the entry of hydrophilic agents difficult, and because the lipopolysaccharide-phospholipid ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF BACTERIAL CELL MEMBRANESHiroshi Nikaido; Fiscal Year: 2009..retards the entry of antimicrobial agents, both hydrophilic and lipophilic, because the narrowness or paucity of porin channels makes the entry of hydrophilic agents difficult, and because the lipopolysaccharide-phospholipid ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF BACTERIAL CELL MEMBRANESHiroshi Nikaido; Fiscal Year: 2010..retards the entry of antimicrobial agents, both hydrophilic and lipophilic, because the narrowness or paucity of porin channels makes the entry of hydrophilic agents difficult, and because the lipopolysaccharide-phospholipid ..
- REGULATION OF THE MAJOR OUTER MEMBRANE PORIN PROTEINSTHOMAS SILHAVY; Fiscal Year: 1993..work from our lab has identified two genes, ompR and envZ, which specify proteins that are required to activate porin gene expression...
- LIGAND GATED TRANSPORT THROUGH FEPAPHILLIP KLEBBA; Fiscal Year: 2004..FepA is a ligand-gated porin, in that binding of ferric enterobactin triggers transport through its transmembrane pore...
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION STUDIES OF MOLECULAR CHAPERONESDavid McKay; Fiscal Year: 2007..vitro peptide binding activity with in vivo interactions with membrane proteins, and ultimately to develop an in vitro assay of bacterial porin folding and assembly that will allow direct biochemical assay of SurA and related proteins.
- Effect of Neisserial Porin in Immune Cell ApoptosisLee Wetzler; Fiscal Year: 2006..We found that the anti-apoptotic effect is due to a direct interaction of the porin with mitochondria (a central control point for apoptotic cell death)...
- Genetic screens to identify mycobacterial porinsMartin Pavelka; Fiscal Year: 2007..Several mycobacterial porins have been physically characterized from whole cell extracts, the porin genes of M. smegmatis have been identified and the major porin gene, MspA, structurally characterized...
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS IN LYME BORRELIOSISMichael Lovett; Fiscal Year: 2000..Specific Aim 1 involves the characterization of Oms1 and Oms2, outer membrane spanning proteins with porin activity identified during the previous grant period...
- Molecular Dissection of the Permeability Transition PoreMichael Forte; Fiscal Year: 2007..assays as a high affinity (nM) blocker of the PTP through covalent modification of isoform 1 of mammalian VDAC (VDAC1). Similar experiments have also demonstrated that yeast VDAC1 is specifically targeted by this compound...
- REGULATION OF PULMONARY CIRCULATION IN FETUS AND NEWBORNGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2010..and postnatal oxygen tension stimulate the association of eNOS with the mitochondrial outer membrane protein, porin in normal fetal lamb pulmonary artery endothelial cells (PAEC)...
- IMMUNOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAEPeter Rice; Fiscal Year: 2003..complement pathway regulatory protein factor H to sialylated lipooligosaccharide (LOS) and to loop 5 of porin protein (Por) IA...
- High Throughput Protein Production by Novel E. coli Expression-Secretion SystemWILLIAM MACCONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Published work has shown that fusion of coding regions such as: scFv antibody chain, E. coli outer membrane porin (OmpF), chloramphenicol acetyltransferase (CAT), or L-asparagenase genes to the c-terminal 200 amino acid portions ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF LIVER CELL NECROSISJohn Farber; Fiscal Year: 2005..and apoptosis direct physical connections through the cytoskeleton between the outer mitochondrial membrane (porin in particular) and the plasma membrane mediate the energy-independent coupling of the MPT to the loss of viability ..
- Penicillin-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae (CMRNG)Robert Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, we propose experiments that follow up on our structure/function studies of the penB gene product, porin IB, to understand how mutations in this protein increase both penicillin and tetracycline resistance...