Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBC
Description: ubiquitin C
Alias: HMG20, polyubiquitin-C
Publications483 found, 100 shown here
- Hoeller D, Crosetto N, Blagoev B, Raiborg C, Tikkanen R, Wagner S, et al. Regulation of ubiquitin-binding proteins by monoubiquitination. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:163-9 pubmed..We propose that monoubiquitination of ubiquitin-binding proteins inhibits their capacity to bind to and control the functions of ubiquitinated targets in vivo. ..
- Hawryluk M, Keyel P, Mishra S, Watkins S, Heuser J, Traub L. Epsin 1 is a polyubiquitin-selective clathrin-associated sorting protein. Traffic. 2006;7:262-81 pubmed..As epsin interacts with eps15, which also contains a UIM region that binds to polyubiquitin, epsin and eps15 appear to be central components of the vertebrate poly/multiubiquitin-sorting endocytic clathrin machinery. ..
- Flierman D, Coleman C, Pickart C, Rapoport T, Chau V. E2-25K mediates US11-triggered retro-translocation of MHC class I heavy chains in a permeabilized cell system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11589-94 pubmed..We conclude that in permeabilized, US11-expressing cells polyubiquitination of the HC substrate can be catalyzed by E2-25K, perhaps in cooperation with the ligase MARCHVII/axotrophin. ..
- Brauweiler A, Lorick K, Lee J, Tsai Y, Chan D, Weissman A, et al. RING-dependent tumor suppression and G2/M arrest induced by the TRC8 hereditary kidney cancer gene. Oncogene. 2007;26:2263-71 pubmed..These data suggest that TRC8 modulation of SREBP activity comprises a novel regulatory link between growth control and the cholesterol/lipid homeostasis pathway. ..
- Lamothe B, Besse A, Campos A, Webster W, Wu H, Darnay B. Site-specific Lys-63-linked tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 6 auto-ubiquitination is a critical determinant of I kappa B kinase activation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:4102-12 pubmed..These data establish a signaling cascade in which regulated site-specific Lys-63-linked TRAF6 auto-ubiquitination is the critical upstream mediator of IKK. ..
- Gatot J, Gioia R, Chau T, Patrascu F, Warnier M, Close P, et al. Lipopolysaccharide-mediated interferon regulatory factor activation involves TBK1-IKKepsilon-dependent Lys(63)-linked polyubiquitination and phosphorylation of TANK/I-TRAF. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31131-46 pubmed
- Zhou Z, Gao H, Zhou C, Chang Y, Hong J, Song A, et al. Differential ubiquitin binding of the UBA domains from human c-Cbl and Cbl-b: NMR structural and biochemical insights. Protein Sci. 2008;17:1805-14 pubmed publisher..That is, the amino acid residue diversity in the helix-1 region, but not the dimerization, determines the abilities of various UBA domains binding with Ub. ..
- Ning S, Campos A, Darnay B, Bentz G, Pagano J. TRAF6 and the three C-terminal lysine sites on IRF7 are required for its ubiquitination-mediated activation by the tumor necrosis factor receptor family member latent membrane protein 1. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6536-46 pubmed publisher..This is the first evidence to imply that ubiquitination is required for phosphorylation and activation of a transcription factor. ..
- Kim H, Huibregtse J. Polyubiquitination by HECT E3s and the determinants of chain type specificity. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3307-18 pubmed publisher..Our results are also consistent with a simple sequential-addition mechanism for polyubiquitination by Rsp5, rather than a mechanism involving the formation of either E2- or E3-linked polyubiquitin chain transfers. ..
- Edelmann M, Kramer H, Altun M, Kessler B. Post-translational modification of the deubiquitinating enzyme otubain 1 modulates active RhoA levels and susceptibility to Yersinia invasion. FEBS J. 2010;277:2515-30 pubmed publisher..This effect is modulated by post-translational modifications of OTUB1, suggesting a new entry point for manipulating Yersinia interactions with the host. ..
- Yan J, Zhang D, Di Y, Shi H, Rao H, Huo K. A newly identified Pirh2 substrate SCYL1-BP1 can bind to MDM2 and accelerate MDM2 self-ubiquitination. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:3275-8 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, while SCYL1-BP1 binds to ubiquitin E3 ligase MDM2, it promotes MDM2 self-ubiquitination and results in a reduction of MDM2 protein level. ..
- Zhao B, Bhuripanyo K, Schneider J, Zhang K, Schindelin H, Boone D, et al. Specificity of the E1-E2-E3 enzymatic cascade for ubiquitin C-terminal sequences identified by phage display. ACS Chem Biol. 2012;7:2027-35 pubmed publisher..Consequently these UB mutants may provide stability to UB polymers attached to cellular proteins and facilitate the elucidation of the biological signals encoded in the UB chains. ..
- Liu S, Chen Y, Li J, Huang T, Tarasov S, King A, et al. Promiscuous interactions of gp78 E3 ligase CUE domain with polyubiquitin chains. Structure. 2012;20:2138-50 pubmed publisher..This leads to a model in which the CUE domain functions to both facilitate substrate binding and enable switching between adjacent ubiquitin molecules of a growing chain to enable processivity in ubiquitination. ..
- Hattori T, Kishino T, Stephen S, Eberspaecher H, Maki S, Takigawa M, et al. E6-AP/UBE3A protein acts as a ubiquitin ligase toward SOX9 protein. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:35138-48 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, E6-AP-deficient mice showed SOX9 accumulation in chondrocytes and the brain. These findings support the concept that E6-AP regulates SOX9 levels in developing cartilage by acting as a ubiquitin ligase...
- Sriram S, Li X, Ko H, Chung K, Wong E, Lim K, et al. Familial-associated mutations differentially disrupt the solubility, localization, binding and ubiquitination properties of parkin. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:2571-86 pubmed
- Boudreaux D, Maiti T, Davies C, Das C. Ubiquitin vinyl methyl ester binding orients the misaligned active site of the ubiquitin hydrolase UCHL1 into productive conformation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9117-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the activity of UCHL1 may be regulated by its own substrate. ..
- Ahn J, Vu T, Novince Z, Guerrero Santoro J, Rapic Otrin V, Gronenborn A. HIV-1 Vpr loads uracil DNA glycosylase-2 onto DCAF1, a substrate recognition subunit of a cullin 4A-ring E3 ubiquitin ligase for proteasome-dependent degradation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:37333-41 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that the CRL4(DCAF1) E3 ubiquitin ligase can be subverted by Vpr to target UNG2 for degradation. ..
- Gudjonsson T, Altmeyer M, Savic V, Toledo L, Dinant C, Grøfte M, et al. TRIP12 and UBR5 suppress spreading of chromatin ubiquitylation at damaged chromosomes. Cell. 2012;150:697-709 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that this mechanism is vital for the homeostasis of ubiquitin-controlled events after DNA breakage and can be subverted during tumorigenesis. ..
- Walter J, Urban J, Volkwein C, Sommer T. Sec61p-independent degradation of the tail-anchored ER membrane protein Ubc6p. EMBO J. 2001;20:3124-31 pubmed..These data are in accordance with a model in which tail-anchored proteins can be extracted from membranes independently of Sec61p. ..
- Murata S, Minami Y, Minami M, Chiba T, Tanaka K. CHIP is a chaperone-dependent E3 ligase that ubiquitylates unfolded protein. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:1133-8 pubmed..Our results indicate that CHIP can be regarded as 'a quality-control E3' that selectively ubiquitylates unfolded protein(s) by collaborating with molecular chaperones. ..
- Yamanaka K, Ishikawa H, Megumi Y, Tokunaga F, Kanie M, Rouault T, et al. Identification of the ubiquitin-protein ligase that recognizes oxidized IRP2. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:336-40 pubmed..The oxidation of IRP2 is generated by haem, which binds to IRP2 in iron-rich cells, and by oxygen, indicating that the iron sensing of IRP2 depends on the synthesis and availability of haem. ..
- Zhong X, Shen Y, Ballar P, Apostolou A, Agami R, Fang S. AAA ATPase p97/valosin-containing protein interacts with gp78, a ubiquitin ligase for endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:45676-84 pubmed..These data suggest that gp78-p97/VCP interaction may represent one way of coupling ubiquitination with retrotranslocation and degradation of ERAD substrates. ..
- Ko H, von Coelln R, Sriram S, Kim S, Chung K, Pletnikova O, et al. Accumulation of the authentic parkin substrate aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase cofactor, p38/JTV-1, leads to catecholaminergic cell death. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7968-78 pubmed..Moreover, these results have important implications for understanding the molecular mechanisms of neurodegeneration in PD. ..
- Song B, Sever N, DeBose Boyd R. Gp78, a membrane-anchored ubiquitin ligase, associates with Insig-1 and couples sterol-regulated ubiquitination to degradation of HMG CoA reductase. Mol Cell. 2005;19:829-40 pubmed..The current results identify gp78 as the E3 that initiates sterol-accelerated degradation of reductase, and Insig-1 as a bridge between gp78/VCP and the reductase substrate. ..
- Geetha T, Jiang J, Wooten M. Lysine 63 polyubiquitination of the nerve growth factor receptor TrkA directs internalization and signaling. Mol Cell. 2005;20:301-12 pubmed..These findings reveal that polyubiquitination serves as a common platform for the control of receptor internalization and signaling. ..
- Bienko M, Green C, Crosetto N, Rudolf F, Zapart G, Coull B, et al. Ubiquitin-binding domains in Y-family polymerases regulate translesion synthesis. Science. 2005;310:1821-4 pubmed..Our results indicate that Ub-binding domains of Y-family polymerases play crucial regulatory roles in TLS...
- Barriere H, Nemes C, Lechardeur D, Khan Mohammad M, Fruh K, Lukacs G. Molecular basis of oligoubiquitin-dependent internalization of membrane proteins in Mammalian cells. Traffic. 2006;7:282-97 pubmed..These results provide a paradigm for the clathrin-mediated uptake of ubiquitinated membrane proteins in mammalian cells, requiring the assembly of multiple UIM-Ub interactions to overcome the low affinity binding of mono-Ub to UIM. ..
- Gilkes D, Chen L, Chen J. MDMX regulation of p53 response to ribosomal stress. EMBO J. 2006;25:5614-25 pubmed..MDMX overexpression does not accelerate tumor growth but increases resistance to 5-FU treatment in vivo. Therefore, MDMX is an important regulator of p53 response to ribosomal stress and RNA-targeting chemotherapy agents. ..
- Besse A, Campos A, Webster W, Darnay B. TRAF-interacting protein (TRIP) is a RING-dependent ubiquitin ligase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;359:660-4 pubmed..Interestingly, TRIP expression was down regulated during the late stages of osteoclastogenesis. Taken together, our results demonstrate that TRIP is a novel RING-dependent Ub ligase and a binding partner for TRAFs. ..
- Iha H, Peloponese J, Verstrepen L, Zapart G, Ikeda F, Smith C, et al. Inflammatory cardiac valvulitis in TAX1BP1-deficient mice through selective NF-kappaB activation. EMBO J. 2008;27:629-41 pubmed publisher..TAX1BP1-/- cells are more highly activated for NF-kappaB than control cells when stimulated with TNF-alpha or IL-1beta. Mechanistically, TAX1BP1 acts in NF-kappaB signalling as an essential adaptor between A20 and its targets. ..
- Paz S, Vilasco M, Arguello M, Sun Q, Lacoste J, Nguyen T, et al. Ubiquitin-regulated recruitment of IkappaB kinase epsilon to the MAVS interferon signaling adapter. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3401-12 pubmed publisher..These results provide further support for the differential role of IKKepsilon and TBK-1 in the RIG-I/Mda5 pathway. ..
- Zhang X, Berger F, Yang J, Lu X. USP4 inhibits p53 through deubiquitinating and stabilizing ARF-BP1. EMBO J. 2011;30:2177-89 pubmed publisher..Finally, we showed that USP4 is overexpressed in several types of human cancer, suggesting that USP4 is a potential oncogene. ..
- Ganoth D, Bornstein G, Ko T, Larsen B, Tyers M, Pagano M, et al. The cell-cycle regulatory protein Cks1 is required for SCF(Skp2)-mediated ubiquitinylation of p27. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:321-4 pubmed..Our results represent the first evidence that an SCF complex requires an accessory protein for activity as well as for binding to its phosphorylated substrate. ..
- Trockenbacher A, Suckow V, Foerster J, Winter J, Krauss S, Ropers H, et al. MID1, mutated in Opitz syndrome, encodes an ubiquitin ligase that targets phosphatase 2A for degradation. Nat Genet. 2001;29:287-94 pubmed..Elevated PP2Ac causes hypophosphorylation of MAPs, a pathological mechanism that is consistent with the OS phenotype. ..
- Urbé S, Sachse M, Row P, Preisinger C, Barr F, Strous G, et al. The UIM domain of Hrs couples receptor sorting to vesicle formation. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4169-79 pubmed..Our data suggest a role for the UIM-domain of Hrs in actively retaining EGFR at the limiting membrane of endosomes as a prelude to lumenal vesicle formation. ..
- Rajendra R, Malegaonkar D, Pungaliya P, Marshall H, Rasheed Z, Brownell J, et al. Topors functions as an E3 ubiquitin ligase with specific E2 enzymes and ubiquitinates p53. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36440-4 pubmed..These results are similar to the recent finding that a Drosophila topors orthologue ubiquitinates the Hairy transcriptional repressor and suggest that topors functions as a ubiquitin ligase for multiple transcription factors. ..
- Liang W, Fishman P. Resistance of the human beta1-adrenergic receptor to agonist-induced ubiquitination: a mechanism for impaired receptor degradation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46882-9 pubmed
- Kawai T, Sato S, Ishii K, Coban C, Hemmi H, Yamamoto M, et al. Interferon-alpha induction through Toll-like receptors involves a direct interaction of IRF7 with MyD88 and TRAF6. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:1061-8 pubmed..These results indicate that TLR-mediated IFN-alpha induction requires the formation of a complex consisting of MyD88, TRAF6 and IRF7 as well as TRAF6-dependent ubiquitination. ..
- Gentry M, Worby C, Dixon J. Insights into Lafora disease: malin is an E3 ubiquitin ligase that ubiquitinates and promotes the degradation of laforin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8501-6 pubmed..Furthermore, these data distinguish malin as an E3 Ub ligase whose activity is necessary to prevent a neurodegenerative disease that involves formation of nonproteinacious inclusion bodies. ..
- Sargin B, Choudhary C, Crosetto N, Schmidt M, Grundler R, Rensinghoff M, et al. Flt3-dependent transformation by inactivating c-Cbl mutations in AML. Blood. 2007;110:1004-12 pubmed..Our results indicate an important role of Cbl proteins in Flt3 signal modulation. Also, the data suggest a novel mechanism of leukemic transformation in AML by mutational inactivation of negative RTK regulators. ..
- Friedman C, O Donnell M, Legarda Addison D, Ng A, Cardenas W, Yount J, et al. The tumour suppressor CYLD is a negative regulator of RIG-I-mediated antiviral response. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:930-6 pubmed publisher..These findings show that CYLD is a negative regulator of RIG-I-mediated innate antiviral response. ..
- Igaz L, Kwong L, Chen Plotkin A, Winton M, Unger T, Xu Y, et al. Expression of TDP-43 C-terminal Fragments in Vitro Recapitulates Pathological Features of TDP-43 Proteinopathies. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8516-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that TDP-43 CTF expression recapitulates key biochemical features of pathological TDP-43 and support the hypothesis that the generation of TDP-43 CTFs is an important step in the pathogenesis of FTLD-U and ALS. ..
- Zhong B, Zhang Y, Tan B, Liu T, Wang Y, Shu H. The E3 ubiquitin ligase RNF5 targets virus-induced signaling adaptor for ubiquitination and degradation. J Immunol. 2010;184:6249-55 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that RNF5-mediated ubiquitination and degradation of VISA is one of the mechanisms of the regulation of virus-triggered induction of type I IFNs and cellular antiviral response. ..
- Young J, Sermwittayawong D, Kim H, Nandu S, An N, Erdjument Bromage H, et al. Fas-associated death domain (FADD) and the E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase TRIM21 interact to negatively regulate virus-induced interferon production. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:6521-31 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FADD and TRIM21 together negatively regulate the late IFN-? pathway in response to viral infection...
- Megas C, Hatzivassiliou E, Yin Q, Marinopoulou E, Hadweh P, Vignali D, et al. Mutational analysis of TRAF6 reveals a conserved functional role of the RING dimerization interface and a potentially necessary but insufficient role of RING-dependent TRAF6 polyubiquitination towards NF-?B activation. Cell Signal. 2011;23:772-7 pubmed publisher..Our results support a conserved functional role of the TRAF RING domain dimerization interface and a potentially necessary but insufficient role for RING-dependent TRAF6 K63-linked polyubiquitination towards NF-?B activation in cells. ..
- Wickliffe K, Lorenz S, Wemmer D, Kuriyan J, Rape M. The mechanism of linkage-specific ubiquitin chain elongation by a single-subunit E2. Cell. 2011;144:769-81 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that monomeric E2s promote linkage-specific ubiquitin chain formation through substrate-assisted catalysis. ..
- Klemm E, Spooner E, Ploegh H. Dual role of ancient ubiquitous protein 1 (AUP1) in lipid droplet accumulation and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) protein quality control. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:37602-14 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a possible connection between ER protein quality control and lipid droplets. ..
- Qiu L, Joazeiro C, Fang N, Wang H, Elly C, Altman Y, et al. Recognition and ubiquitination of Notch by Itch, a hect-type E3 ubiquitin ligase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35734-7 pubmed..Thus, Itch may participate in the regulation of immune responses by modifying Notch-mediated signaling. ..
- Haglund K, Sigismund S, Polo S, Szymkiewicz I, Di Fiore P, Dikic I. Multiple monoubiquitination of RTKs is sufficient for their endocytosis and degradation. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:461-6 pubmed..Thus, monoubiquitination is the principal signal responsible for the movement of RTKs from the plasma membrane to the lysosome. ..
- Ryo A, Suizu F, Yoshida Y, Perrem K, Liou Y, Wulf G, et al. Regulation of NF-kappaB signaling by Pin1-dependent prolyl isomerization and ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis of p65/RelA. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1413-26 pubmed..These findings uncover two important mechanisms of regulating NF-kappaB signaling and offer new insight into the pathogenesis and treatment of some human diseases such as cancers. ..
- Vasilescu J, Smith J, Ethier M, Figeys D. Proteomic analysis of ubiquitinated proteins from human MCF-7 breast cancer cells by immunoaffinity purification and mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res. 2005;4:2192-200 pubmed..This method will aid the study of protein ubiquitination and may be used as a tool for the discovery of novel biomarkers that are associated with disease progression. ..
- Ma L, Huang Y, Song Z, Feng S, Tian X, Du W, et al. Livin promotes Smac/DIABLO degradation by ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:2079-88 pubmed..Our findings provide a novel function of Livin: it exhibits E3 ubiquitin ligase activity to degrade the pivotal apoptotic regulator Smac/DIABLO through the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. ..
- Sobhian B, Shao G, Lilli D, Culhane A, Moreau L, Xia B, et al. RAP80 targets BRCA1 to specific ubiquitin structures at DNA damage sites. Science. 2007;316:1198-202 pubmed..These events are required for cell cycle checkpoint and repair responses to ionizing radiation, implicating ubiquitin chain recognition and turnover in the BRCA1-mediated repair of DSBs. ..
- Bertrand M, Milutinovic S, Dickson K, Ho W, Boudreault A, Durkin J, et al. cIAP1 and cIAP2 facilitate cancer cell survival by functioning as E3 ligases that promote RIP1 ubiquitination. Mol Cell. 2008;30:689-700 pubmed publisher..When deubiquitinated by AEG40730 treatment, RIP1 binds caspase-8 and induces apoptosis. These findings provide insights into the function of the IAPs and provide new therapeutic opportunities in the treatment of cancer. ..
- Eldin P, Papon L, Oteiza A, Brocchi E, Lawson T, Mechti N. TRIM22 E3 ubiquitin ligase activity is required to mediate antiviral activity against encephalomyocarditis virus. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:536-45 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings demonstrate that TRIM22 E3 ubiquitin ligase activity represents a new antiviral pathway induced by IFN against picornaviruses...
- Zhong B, Zhang L, Lei C, Li Y, Mao A, Yang Y, et al. The ubiquitin ligase RNF5 regulates antiviral responses by mediating degradation of the adaptor protein MITA. Immunity. 2009;30:397-407 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that RNF5 negatively regulates virus-triggered signaling by targeting MITA for ubiquitination and degradation at the mitochondria. ..
- Schwickart M, Huang X, Lill J, Liu J, Ferrando R, French D, et al. Deubiquitinase USP9X stabilizes MCL1 and promotes tumour cell survival. Nature. 2010;463:103-7 pubmed publisher..These results identify USP9X as a prognostic and therapeutic target, and they show that deubiquitinases may stabilize labile oncoproteins in human malignancies. ..
- Kamadurai H, Souphron J, Scott D, Duda D, Miller D, Stringer D, et al. Insights into ubiquitin transfer cascades from a structure of a UbcH5B approximately ubiquitin-HECT(NEDD4L) complex. Mol Cell. 2009;36:1095-102 pubmed publisher..The structure suggests a model for E2-to-HECT Ub transfer, in which interactions between a donor Ub and an acceptor domain constrain upstream and downstream enzymes for conjugation. ..
- Ulrich H. Timing and spacing of ubiquitin-dependent DNA damage bypass. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:2861-7 pubmed publisher..This review is focussed on our understanding of the timing of damage bypass during the cell cycle and the question of how it is coordinated with the progression of replication forks. ..
- Ma Y, Gu Y, Zhang Q, Han Y, Yu S, Lu Z, et al. Targeted degradation of KRAS by an engineered ubiquitin ligase suppresses pancreatic cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013;12:286-94 pubmed publisher..KRAS destruction by RC-U occurred through a ubiquitin-dependent, proteasome-mediated degradation pathway. RC-U inhibited pancreatic cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Wiener R, Dibello A, Lombardi P, Guzzo C, Zhang X, Matunis M, et al. E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes regulate the deubiquitinating activity of OTUB1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1033-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OTUB1-E2 complexes in the cell are poised to regulate polyubiquitin chain elongation or degradation in response to changing levels of E2 charging and available free ubiquitin. ..
- Shih S, Prag G, Francis S, Sutanto M, Hurley J, Hicke L. A ubiquitin-binding motif required for intramolecular monoubiquitylation, the CUE domain. EMBO J. 2003;22:1273-81 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that the CUE motif is an evolutionarily conserved monoubiquitin-binding domain that mediates intramolecular monoubiquitylation. ..
- Dupre D, Chen Z, Le Gouill C, Thériault C, Parent J, Rola Pleszczynski M, et al. Trafficking, ubiquitination, and down-regulation of the human platelet-activating factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:48228-35 pubmed..Our results indicate that PAFR degradation can occur via both the proteasome and lysosomal pathways and ligand-stimulated degradation is ubiquitin-dependent. ..
- Li Y, Kumar K, Tang W, Spiegelman V, Fuchs S. Negative regulation of prolactin receptor stability and signaling mediated by SCF(beta-TrCP) E3 ubiquitin ligase. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4038-48 pubmed..These data indicate that PRLR is a novel SCF(beta-TrCP) substrate and implicate beta-TrCP as an important negative regulator of PRL signaling and cellular responses to this hormone. ..
- Hsu J, Lee Y, Yu C, Huang C. Fbx7 functions in the SCF complex regulating Cdk1-cyclin B-phosphorylated hepatoma up-regulated protein (HURP) proteolysis by a proline-rich region. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32592-602 pubmed..Taken together, these findings further expound the diverse substrate-recognition abilities of the SCF complexes. ..
- Jiang H, Chang F, Ross A, Lee J, Nakayama K, Nakayama K, et al. Ubiquitylation of RAG-2 by Skp2-SCF links destruction of the V(D)J recombinase to the cell cycle. Mol Cell. 2005;18:699-709 pubmed..The regulation of antigen receptor gene assembly by Skp2-SCF provides an unexpected and direct mechanistic link between DNA recombination and the cell cycle. ..
- Dornan D, Shimizu H, Mah A, Dudhela T, Eby M, O Rourke K, et al. ATM engages autodegradation of the E3 ubiquitin ligase COP1 after DNA damage. Science. 2006;313:1122-6 pubmed..Furthermore, phosphorylation of COP1 on Ser(387) was required to permit p53 to become stabilized and to exert its tumor suppressor properties in response to DNA damage. ..
- Zhu P, Zhou W, Wang J, Puc J, Ohgi K, Erdjument Bromage H, et al. A histone H2A deubiquitinase complex coordinating histone acetylation and H1 dissociation in transcriptional regulation. Mol Cell. 2007;27:609-21 pubmed
- Nioi P, Nguyen T. A mutation of Keap1 found in breast cancer impairs its ability to repress Nrf2 activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;362:816-21 pubmed..Importantly, our findings suggest that a paradox exists whereby Nrf2 activity is beneficial in non-malignant cells but in cancer cells it may provide a selective advantage for clonal expansion. ..
- Morito D, Hirao K, Oda Y, Hosokawa N, Tokunaga F, Cyr D, et al. Gp78 cooperates with RMA1 in endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation of CFTRDeltaF508. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1328-36 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrates that gp78 cooperates with RMA1 with E4-like activity in the ERAD of CFTRDeltaF508. ..
- Venuprasad K, Huang H, Harada Y, Elly C, Subramaniam M, Spelsberg T, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase Itch regulates expression of transcription factor Foxp3 and airway inflammation by enhancing the function of transcription factor TIEG1. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:245-53 pubmed publisher..These results suggest TIEG and Itch contribute to a ubiquitin-dependent nonproteolytic pathway that regulates inducible Foxp3 expression and the control of allergic responses. ..
- Gack M, Albrecht R, Urano T, Inn K, Huang I, Carnero E, et al. Influenza A virus NS1 targets the ubiquitin ligase TRIM25 to evade recognition by the host viral RNA sensor RIG-I. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;5:439-49 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism by which influenza virus inhibits host IFN response and also emphasize the vital role of TRIM25 in modulating antiviral defenses. ..
- Cheng Q, Chen L, Li Z, Lane W, Chen J. ATM activates p53 by regulating MDM2 oligomerization and E3 processivity. EMBO J. 2009;28:3857-67 pubmed publisher..Promoting or disrupting E3 oligomerization may be a general mechanism by which signalling kinases regulate ubiquitination reactions, and a potential target for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Garrison J, Correa R, Gerlic M, Yip K, Krieg A, Tamble C, et al. ARTS and Siah collaborate in a pathway for XIAP degradation. Mol Cell. 2011;41:107-16 pubmed publisher..Cells lacking either Siah or ARTS contain higher steady-state levels of XIAP. Thus, ARTS serves as an adaptor to bridge Siah-1 to XIAP, targeting it for destruction. ..
- Roff M, Thompson J, Rodriguez M, Jacque J, Baleux F, Arenzana Seisdedos F, et al. Role of IkappaBalpha ubiquitination in signal-induced activation of NFkappaB in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:7844-50 pubmed..Thus signal-induced activation of NF-kappaB involves phosphorylation-dependent ubiquitination of IkappaBalpha, which targets the protein for rapid degradation by the proteasome and releases NF-kappaB for translocation to the nucleus. ..
- Kumar S, Kao W, Howley P. Physical interaction between specific E2 and Hect E3 enzymes determines functional cooperativity. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:13548-54 pubmed
- Wilkinson C, Seeger M, Hartmann Petersen R, Stone M, Wallace M, Semple C, et al. Proteins containing the UBA domain are able to bind to multi-ubiquitin chains. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:939-43 pubmed..These two proteins are implicated, along with the fission-yeast Pus1(S5a/Rpn10) subunit of the 26 S proteasome, in the recognition and turnover of substrates by this proteolytic complex. ..
- Ogawara Y, Kishishita S, Obata T, Isazawa Y, Suzuki T, Tanaka K, et al. Akt enhances Mdm2-mediated ubiquitination and degradation of p53. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21843-50 pubmed..This study may shed light on the mechanisms by which Akt promotes survival, proliferation, and tumorigenesis. ..
- Jiang Z, Zamanian Daryoush M, Nie H, Silva A, Williams B, Li X. Poly(I-C)-induced Toll-like receptor 3 (TLR3)-mediated activation of NFkappa B and MAP kinase is through an interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinase (IRAK)-independent pathway employing the signaling components TLR3-TRAF6-TAK1-TAB2-PKR . J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16713-9 pubmed..Kinase inactive mutants of TAK1 (TAK1DN) and PKR (PKRDN) inhibit poly(dI.dC)-induced TLR3-mediated NFkappaB activation, suggesting that both of these kinases play important roles in this pathway. ..
- Miyazaki K, Ozaki T, Kato C, Hanamoto T, Fujita T, Irino S, et al. A novel HECT-type E3 ubiquitin ligase, NEDL2, stabilizes p73 and enhances its transcriptional activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;308:106-13 pubmed..Consistent with the NEDL2-mediated stabilization of p73, NEDL2 enhanced the p73-dependent transcriptional activation. Thus, our results suggest that NEDL2 activates the function of p73 by increasing its stability. ..
- Kang Y, Vossler R, Diaz Martinez L, Winter N, Clarke D, Walters K. UBL/UBA ubiquitin receptor proteins bind a common tetraubiquitin chain. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:1027-35 pubmed..Altogether our results suggest a mechanism through which UBL/UBA proteins could protect chains from premature de-ubiquitylation and unnecessary elongation during their transit to the proteasome. ..
- Cavey J, Ralston S, Sheppard P, Ciani B, Gallagher T, Long J, et al. Loss of ubiquitin binding is a unifying mechanism by which mutations of SQSTM1 cause Paget's disease of bone. Calcif Tissue Int. 2006;78:271-7 pubmed
- Tang J, Qu L, Zhang J, Wang W, Michaelson J, Degenhardt Y, et al. Critical role for Daxx in regulating Mdm2. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:855-62 pubmed..These findings reveal that Daxx modulates the function of Mdm2 at multiple levels and suggest that the disruption of the Mdm2-Daxx interaction may be important for p53 activation in response to DNA damage. ..
- Scaglioni P, Yung T, Cai L, Erdjument Bromage H, Kaufman A, Singh B, et al. A CK2-dependent mechanism for degradation of the PML tumor suppressor. Cell. 2006;126:269-83 pubmed..These data identify a key posttranslational mechanism that controls PML protein levels and provide therapeutic means toward PML restoration through CK2 inhibition. ..
- Lee J, Song B, DeBose Boyd R, Ye J. Sterol-regulated degradation of Insig-1 mediated by the membrane-bound ubiquitin ligase gp78. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39308-15 pubmed
- Esapa C, Waite A, Locke M, Benson M, Kraus M, McIlhinney R, et al. SGCE missense mutations that cause myoclonus-dystonia syndrome impair epsilon-sarcoglycan trafficking to the plasma membrane: modulation by ubiquitination and torsinA. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:327-42 pubmed
- Hövelmeyer N, Wunderlich F, Massoumi R, Jakobsen C, Song J, Wörns M, et al. Regulation of B cell homeostasis and activation by the tumor suppressor gene CYLD. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2615-27 pubmed..These findings suggest that CYLD can both positively and negatively regulate signal transduction and homeostasis of B cells in vivo, depending on the expression of CYLD splice variants. ..
- Shen Y, Hirsch D, SASIELA C, Wu W. Cdc42 regulates E-cadherin ubiquitination and degradation through an epidermal growth factor receptor to Src-mediated pathway. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5127-37 pubmed..Our data support a model that activation of Cdc42 contributes to mesenchyme-like phenotype by targeting of E-cadherin for lysosomal degradation. ..