Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TUCAN
Description: caspase recruitment domain family, member 8
Alias: CARDINAL, DACAR, DAKAR, NDPP, NDPP1, TUCAN, CARD inhibitor of NF-kappaB-activating ligands, apoptotic protein NDPP1, caspase recruitment domain-containing protein 8, tumor up-regulated CARD-containing antagonist of CASP9, tumor up-regulated CARD-containing antagonist of caspase nine
Publications174 found, 100 shown here
- Gene polymorphisms in the NALP3 inflammasome are associated with interleukin-1 production and severe inflammation: relation to common inflammatory diseases?Deepti Verma
Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 58:888-94. 2008NALP3, ASC, and TUCAN are components of the NALP3 inflammasome, which triggers caspase 1-mediated interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) release...
- Evidence of interaction of CARD8 rs2043211 with NALP3 rs35829419 in Crohn's diseaseR L Roberts
Department of Biochemistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Genes Immun 11:351-6. 2010..48-0.90); P(1,1/1,2)=0.015, OR=0.35, 95% CI (0.15-0.82)). We propose that these genotype combinations protect against gut inflammation by preventing the NALP3 inflammasome from producing excessive interleukin-1beta...
- CARDINAL, a novel caspase recruitment domain protein, is an inhibitor of multiple NF-kappa B activation pathwaysL Bouchier-Hayes
Molecular Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Genetics, Smurfit Institute, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 276:44069-77. 2001..Here we report the identification of a novel protein, CARDINAL, that contains a CARD motif and also exhibits a high degree of homology to the C terminus of DEFCAP/NAC, a ..
- Novel isoforms of the CARD8 (TUCAN) gene evade a nonsense mutationRichard D Bagnall
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, King s College London School of Medicine, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 16:619-25. 2008CARD8 (TUCAN) is implicated in the regulation of apoptosis and inflammation, and is a positional and functional candidate gene for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- TUCAN, an antiapoptotic caspase-associated recruitment domain family protein overexpressed in cancerN Pathan
Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 276:32220-9. 2001..is overexpressed in some types of cancer and that binds and suppresses activation of procaspase-9, which we term TUCAN (tumor-up-regulated CARD-containing antagonist of caspase nine)...
- TUCAN/CARDINAL and DRAL participate in a common pathway for modulation of NF-kappaB activationRomania Stilo
BioGeM Consortium, Napoli, Italy
FEBS Lett 521:165-9. 2002..TUCAN/CARDINAL is a recently identified CARD-containing protein involved in regulation of caspases and NF-kappaB activation...
- CARD-8 protein, a new CARD family member that regulates caspase-1 activation and apoptosisMarjaneh Razmara
Center for Apoptosis Research and the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Kimmel Cancer Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13952-8. 2002..Overexpression of CARD-8 can also induce apoptosis in transfected cells. The results suggest that CARD-8 represents a new signaling molecule involved in the regulation of caspase-1 and NF-kappaB activation...
- TUCAN (CARD8) genetic variants and inflammatory bowel diseaseDermot P B McGovern
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Drive, Headington, Oxford OX3 7BN, England, UK
Gastroenterology 131:1190-6. 2006..Other susceptibility loci exist. TUCAN (CARD8) is located beneath a CD peak of linkage on chromosome 19q...
- Vascular mode of action of kinin B1 receptors and development of a cellular model for the investigation of these receptorsL Levesque
, , Canada
Br J Pharmacol 109:1254-62. 1993..The cell model retains some of the cardinal properties of B1 receptor-mediated vascular responses: endothelium independent PGI2 release and up-regulation by ..
- Renal effects of environmental and occupational lead exposureM Loghman-Adham
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Environ Health Perspect 105:928-38. 1997..studies have shown an association between blood lead levels and blood pressure, and hypertension is a cardinal feature of lead nephropathy...
- Modulation of catecholamine storage and release by the pituitary-interrenal axis in the rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykissS G Reid
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Comp Physiol B 165:665-76. 1996..Increases in the levels of stored catecholamines were observed in various regions of the kidney and posterior cardinal vein following 3 and 7 days of cortisol treatment...
- Panayiotopoulos syndrome: a benign childhood autonomic epilepsy frequently imitating encephalitis, syncope, migraine, sleep disorder, or gastroenteritisAthanasios Covanis
Neurology Department, Agia Sophia Children s Hospital, Thivon and Levadias, Goudi, 11527 Athens, Greece
Pediatrics 118:e1237-43. 2006..It is characterized by seizures, often prolonged, with predominantly autonomic symptoms, and by an EEG [electroencephalogram] that shows shifting and/or multiple foci, often with occipital predominance."..
- Assay of fipronil efficacy to prevent canine monocytic ehrlichiosis in endemic areasB Davoust
Direction Régionale du Service de Santé des Armées, BP 16, Armees, 69998 Lyon, France
Vet Parasitol 112:91-100. 2003..of Ehrlichia canis transmission to dogs by Rhipicephalus sanguineus in two endemic areas situated in Africa (Dakar and Djibouti)...
- Vault prolapse I: Dynamic supports of the vaginaP E Petros
Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 12:292-5. 2001..The relevance of muscle forces to the three anatomical levels of support, the cardinal/uterosacral ligament complex (level 1), the rectovaginal fascia (level 2) and the perineal body (level 3), was ..
- Is thermal scanner losing its bite in mass screening of fever due to SARS?Eddie Y K Ng
School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, College of Engineering, Nanyang Technical University, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Med Phys 32:93-7. 2005..It is believed that IR cameras can potentially be used to detect subjects with fever, the cardinal symptom of SARS, and avian influenza...
- [Operative neurosurgery: personal view and historical backgrounds. 6. Positioning, instruments]Yasuhiro Yonekawa
University of Zurich, Switzerland
No Shinkei Geka 38:381-96. 2010..around the medial root of the mastoid process (thickness of the bone and small amount of soft tissue) is of cardinal importance and prevention of excessive flexion (with the one-finger breadth between the chin and its underlying ..
- Cholinoceptor-mediated control of catecholamine release from chromaffin cells in the American eel, Anguilla rostrataS G Reid
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Comp Physiol B 165:464-70. 1995..from chromaffin cells in the American eel, Anguilla rostrata, was assessed using a saline-perfused posterior cardinal vein preparation. Direct membrane depolarization with 60 mmol...
- [Terminal heart failure; therapeutic strategies. Drug therapy in cases of absence of possibility of heart transplantation: dobutamine therapy, aspects of compassion?]G Roul
Service de cardiologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:27-32. 1996..Nevertheless, the abnormalities of cardiovascular function remain the cardinal problem. The treatment which we use aims to correct them...
- V2R mutations and nephrogenic diabetes insipidusDaniel G Bichet
Canada Research Chair in Genetics of Renal Diseases, Groupe d étude des protéines membranaires, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci 89:15-29. 2009..Polyuria, with hyposthenuria, and polydipsia are the cardinal clinical manifestations of the disease...
- Vaginal axis after abdominal, vaginal and laparoscopic hysterectomy: a preliminary study with perineal ultrasonography using contrast mediumH S Virtanen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Central Hospital of Turku, Finland
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:196-201; discussion 201-2. 1996..Transabdominal and vaginal hysterectomies were performed in the classic manner, i.e. the round as well as cardinal and sacrouterine ligaments were attached to the vaginal vault, followed by peritonealization...
- Clinical aspects and management of hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC)L Bertario
Divisione Chirurgia Apparato Digerente, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milano, Italy
Tumori 82:117-21. 1996..Important cardinal features are: 1) prevalent proximal location of cancers (above splenic flexure); 2) multiple synchronous or ..
- Modelling growth of Penicillium expansum and Aspergillus niger at constant and fluctuating temperature conditionsMaria Gougouli
Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Hygiene, Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Agriculture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Int J Food Microbiol 140:254-62. 2010..mu) and (apparent) lag time (lambda) of the mycelium growth were modelled as a function of temperature using a Cardinal Model with Inflection (CMI)...
- [Joubert syndrome: a report of 5 cases]B Calleja-Pérez
Servicio de Neurología Pediátrica, Hospital Infantil La Paz, Madrid, Espana
Rev Neurol 26:548-50. 1998..To review clinical features, radiological findings and prognosis in Joubert syndrome...
- [Renal hemodynamics and proteinuria in chronic glomerulonephritis treated with beta-receptor blockers or ace inhibitors]C M Erley
Abteilung Innere Medizin III, Medizinischen Universitätsklinik der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 122:953-8. 1997..with chronic glomerular nephropathy associated arterial hypertension and proteinuria are considered to be cardinal risk factors in the progressive deterioration of renal function...
- Ultrastructural distinction of basaloid-squamous carcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinomaK Hewan Lowe
Department of Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 19:371-81. 1995..The cardinal diagnostic criteria are the presence of basaloid cells arranged in lobules or cords and a squamous component...
- Wavelength-dependent effects of light on magnetic compass orientation in Drosophila melanogasterJ B Phillips
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington 47405
J Comp Physiol A 172:303-8. 1993..were trained in the ambient magnetic field to a horizontal gradient of 365 nm light emanating from one of the 4 cardinal compass directions and were subsequently tested in a visually-symmetrical, radial 8-arm maze in which the ..
- Cardinal points and image-object magnification with an accommodative lens implant (1 CU)Achim Langenbucher
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Schwabachanlage 6, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 23:61-70. 2003A simple mathematical method for the determination of the cardinal points of pseudophakic eyes after implantation of an accommodative intraocular lens [posterior chamber intraocular lenses (PCIOL)] is presented...
- Apical vault repair, the cornerstone or pelvic vault reconstructionJ W Ross
Center for Reproductive Medicine and Laparoscopic Surgery, Salinas, California 93901, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 8:146-52. 1997..The incorporation of pubocervical fascia, uterosacral-cardinal ligament and the rectovaginal fascia provides a strong anchor for the vaginal apex...
- [Alzheimer's disease: new prospects in therapy and applied experimental models]Adriana M Kubis
Zakład Biotechnologii Białek, Wydział Biotechnologii, Uniwersytet Wrocławski, ul Tamka 2, 50 137 Wrocław
Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 62:372-92. 2008..The gradual and irreversible disturbances in homeostasis are characteristic features of the disease process. The cardinal features of AD include the formation of extracellular protein deposits in the brain that consist predominantly of ..
- Neuropathology of sporadic Parkinson disease before the appearance of parkinsonism: preclinical Parkinson diseaseIsidre Ferrer
Institut de Neuropatologia, Servei Anatomia Patològica, CIBERNED, IDIBELL Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
J Neural Transm 118:821-39. 2011..This review presents cardinal observations at very early stages of PD and provides personal experience based on the study of a consecutive ..
- Increased expression of water channel aquaporin 1 and aquaporin 4 in Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and in bovine spongiform encephalopathy-infected bovine-PrP transgenic miceAgustin Rodriguez
Institut de Neuropatologia, Servei Anatomia Patològica, IDIBELL Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Acta Neuropathol 112:573-85. 2006Spongiform change is a cardinal feature in transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, including Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)...
- Vaginal hysterectomyJ J Amy
Department of Gynaecology, Andrology and Obstetrics, Academisch Ziekenhuis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Natl Med J India 10:126-7. 1997..This was followed by clamping, division and ligation of the sacro-uterine and cardinal ligaments and of the uterine vessels, as is done during a vaginal hysterectomy...
- Aromatase deficiency in male and female siblings caused by a novel mutation and the physiological role of estrogensA Morishima
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:3689-98. 1995..The 28-yr-old XX proband, followed since infancy, exhibited the cardinal features of the aromatase deficiency syndrome as recently defined...
- [Operative neurosurgery: personal view and historical backgrounds. (5) Meningioma]Yasuhiro Yonekawa
University of Zurich
No Shinkei Geka 37:71-90. 2009..following comments are to be emphasized: Appropriate approach and interruption of blood supply are of cardinal importance in surgical management of meningiomas...
- An analysis of orientation and ocular dominance patterns in the visual cortex of cats and ferretsT Muller
Department of Computer Science, TU Berlin, Germany
Neural Comput 12:2573-95. 2000..Also, we find the well-known overrepresentation of cardinal versus oblique orientations in young ferrets (Chapman & Bonhoeffer, 1998; Coppola, White, Fitzpatrick, & ..
- Skin diseases associated with the cosmetic use of bleaching products in women from Dakar, SenegalA Mahe
Department of Dermatology, Institut d Hygiene Sociale, Dakar, Senegal
Br J Dermatol 148:493-500. 2003..The cosmetic use of bleaching products is considered a common practice in dark-skinned women from sub-Saharan Africa. However, there are few studies on this subject...
- Deep brain stimulation of the corpus luysi (subthalamic nucleus) and other targets in Parkinson's disease. Extension to new indications such as dystonia and epilepsyA L Benabid
Department of Neurosurgery, CHU A Michallon, Grenoble, France
J Neurol 248:III37-47. 2001..STN appears to be a target of major interest, able to control the three cardinal symptoms and to allow the decrease or suppression of levodopa treatment, which then also suppresses levodopa ..
- Dermatosis papulosa nigra in Dakar, SenegalSuzanne Oumou Niang
Department of Dermatology, Le Dantec Hospital, Dakar, Senegal
Int J Dermatol 46:45-7. 2007..Its benign character has meant that very few studies have been performed. In Senegal, no investigation has been carried out to date...
- Silent ischaemia: an update on current conceptsJ J Glazier
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 46:461-9. 1991Angina pectoris is the cardinal symptom of coronary heart disease and is a symptom with which physicians are very familiar...
- [Physical handicapped, economic practices and matrimonial strategies in Senegal]D Fassin
IFEA, ORSTOM, Quito, Ecuador, South America
Soc Sci Med 32:267-72. 1991..From a series of in-depth interviews conducted in handicapped families of the suburbs of Dakar, two aspects are analyzed: the economic role of the handicapped, through the circulation of the product of his ..
- [Self-treatment of fever in the northern district of Dakar, Senegal]P Ndiaye
Service de médecine préventive et Santé publique, UCAD Dakar, BP 16 390, Dakar Fann, Senegal
Med Trop (Mars) 66:74-8. 2006Malaria is assimilated with its cardinal symptom, i.e., fever. Treatment of fever with antimalarial drugs is crucial to the prevention of malaria-related death in Senegal...
- Effect of metabolic acidosis on the growth hormone/IGF-I endocrine axis in skeletal growth centersJ Green
Departments of Nephrology, Rambam Medical Center, The B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Kidney Int 57:2258-67. 2000Chronic metabolic acidosis (CMA) adversely affects bone metabolism and skeletal growth. Given the cardinal role played by the local growth hormone (GH)/insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in promoting cell proliferation and ..
- Validation of a chromatography data analysis softwareA Felinger
Department of Analytical Chemistry, , Hungary
J Chromatogr A 913:221-31. 2001The performance of chromatography data analysis software packages is of cardinal importance when the precision and the accuracy of a chromatographic system are evaluated...
- Overview and clinical presentation of generalized anxiety disorderK Rickels
Section of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Meidicine, Philadelphia, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 24:1-17. 2001..The cardinal symptoms of GAD commonly overlap with those of social phobia, particularly if the social phobia is more general ..
- [Reactivity of the arterial wall to atherogenic stimuli]J Larrue
INSERM U8 de recherches de cardiologie, Pessac
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 84:1635-43. 1991..The rupture of parietal homeostasis is discussed with reference to some experimental models in terms of intimal cellular recruitment and formation of foam cells which are the cardinal points of the initial pathogenic process.
- Changes in extracellular matrix proteins in the cardinal ligaments of post-menopausal women with or without prolapse: a computerized immunohistomorphometric analysisAyman A A Ewies
Leicester and Warwick Medical School, UK
Hum Reprod 18:2189-95. 2003..The precise mechanism of uterine prolapse is poorly understood. There is evidence to suggest that abnormalities of connective tissue structure or its repair mechanism may predispose women to prolapse. METHODS and..
- [Penetrating wound of the abdomen. Profile of the suffering patient at Dakar teaching hospital]M Dieng
Clinique Chirurgicale, CHU Aristide Le Dantec, Dakar
Dakar Med 51:22-6. 2006..The purpose of this study was to make a descriptive analysis of the epidemiological data on the patient suffering from a penetrating wound of the abdomen...
- [Allergy to latex gloves among healthcare workers in Dakar]F Ly
Service de Dermatologie, IST de l Institut d Hygiène Social, Dakar, Senegal
Ann Dermatol Venereol 133:971-4. 2006The prevalence of latex allergy is high (to 17%) among groups at risk such healthcare workers. Our aim was to determine the prevalence and severity of allergy to latex gloves among health workers in Dakar.
- Primary prevention with cotrimoxazole for HIV-1-infected adults: results of the pilot study in Dakar, SenegalM Maynart
INSERM U88, Paris, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 26:130-6. 2001..To assess the efficacy and tolerance of chemoprophylaxis with cotrimoxazole compared with placebo among HIV-1-infected adults...
- Glucose stimulates islet beta-cell mitogenesis through GTP-binding proteins and by protein kinase C-dependent mechanismsA Sjoholm
Department of Molecular Medicine, Rolf Luft Center for Diabetes Research, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 46:1141-7. 1997Glucose is a cardinal secretory and mitogenic stimulus for the insulin-producing pancreatic beta-cell both in vitro and in vivo, but the mechanisms by which the sugar acts mitogenically remain largely elusive...
- [The syndrome of "muscle deconditioning" in chronic cardiac insufficiency]J G Kayanakis
Clinique cardiologique Paulmy, Bayonne
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 82:1455-8. 1989Fatigue, that cardinal symptom of heart failure, expresses muscle deconditioning and is becoming the main complaint of our patients...
- Risk factors for negative sputum acid-fast bacilli smears in pulmonary tuberculosis: results from Dakar, Senegal, a city with low HIV seroprevalenceB Samb
INSERM U13 IMEA, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 3:330-6. 1999Two teaching hospitals in Dakar, Senegal, a West African country with a low prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
- Circulating chemoattractants RANTES, negatively related to endogenous androgens, and MCP-1 are differentially suppressed by hormone therapy and raloxifeneGeorge E Christodoulakos
2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens, Aretaieio Hospital, Athens, Greece
Atherosclerosis 193:142-50. 2007The cardinal role of chronic inflammation in the development of atherosclerosis is increasingly being recognized. Estrogens may prevent the evolution of atherosclerosis by suppressing immune response...
- Inner connections within domain of dementia praecox: role of supervisory mental processes in schizophreniaP F Liddle
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 245:210-5. 1995..Neuropsychological studies reveal that the three cardinal dimensions reflect disorder of the supervisory mental processes responsible for initiation, selection and ..
- The intranasal administration of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP): a new rodent model to test palliative and neuroprotective agents for Parkinson's diseaseRui D S Prediger
Departamento de Farmacologia, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Trindade, 88049 900, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Curr Pharm Des 17:489-507. 2011..Classically, PD is considered to be a motor system disease and its diagnosis is based on the presence of a set of cardinal motor signs that are consequence of a pronounced death of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars ..
- Schizotypy and leadership: a contrasting model for deficit symptoms, and a possible therapeutic role for sex hormonesA G Alias
Chester Mental Health Center, Illinois 62233, USA
Med Hypotheses 54:537-52. 2000..to shift attention, poor working memory, passivity, ambivalence, anhedonia, and impaired motor coordination are cardinal features of schizophrenia but, unlike delusions and hallucinations, they are related more to negative/deficit ..
- [Expression of androgen receptor in the vaginal wall and cardinal ligament of patients with pelvic organ prolapse]Yi song Chen
Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200011, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:2920-3. 2008..To evaluate the role of androgen and its receptor in the pathogenesis of prolapse of pelvic floor...
- [Evaluation of the need for periodontal treatment in prisons near Dakar, Senegal]M Diouf
Service de santé publique dentaire, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
Med Trop (Mars) 69:587-90. 2009..This study focused on the prison population that is characterized by poor living conditions and malnutrition. The aim of study was to assess the need for periodontal care in prisoners serving time in the Dakar region of Senegal.
- Cardinal vein isomerism: an embryological hypothesis to explain a persistent left superior vena cava draining into the roof of the left atrium in the absence of coronary sinus and atrial septal defectFabio Miraldi
Institute of Cardiac Surgery, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Cardiovasc Pathol 11:149-52. 2002..This anomaly has been explained with the persistence of the left superior cardinal vein...
- [Neuroleptic malignant syndrome and atypical antipsychotics: a brief review]S Khaldi
Encephale 34:618-24. 2008..1960) 145-152] described the "syndrome akinétique hypertonique"(hypertonic akinetic syndrome) and its cardinal symptoms: hyperthermia, extrapyramidal symptoms, altered mental status and autonomic dysfunctions...
- Altered motor control patterns in whiplash and chronic neck painAstrid Woodhouse
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, N 7489 Trondheim, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:90. 2008....
- The use of legume trap crops for control of Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth. in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench) in northern NigeriaNuhu A Gworgwor
Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Maiduguri P M B 1069, Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Meded Rijksuniv Gent Fak Landbouwkd Toegep Biol Wet 67:421-30. 2002..Ex-Dakar variety of groundnut was used for the sorghum-groundnut trial, while a creamed brown eyed local bambara groundnut ..
- [Perceptions and motivations of public sector physicians in Dakar (Senegal)]Papa Ndiaye
Service de médecine préventive et Santé publique, Université Cheikh Anta Diop UCAD, BP 16390, Dakar Fann Senegal
Sante 17:223-8. 2007To guide the human resources department within the Ministry of Health to optimize their capacities and skills, this study sought to evaluate perceptions and motivations among public sector physicians in the Dakar region, in Senegal.
- Desensitisation of chromaffin cell nicotinic receptors does not impede catecholamine secretion during acute hypoxia in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)K N Lapner
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Exp Biol 203:1589-97. 2000..trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in vivo using chronically cannulated fish and in situ using a perfused posterior cardinal vein preparation (i) to characterise the desensitisation of chromaffin cell nicotinic receptors and (ii) to ..
- Taste bud form and distribution on lips and in the oropharyngeal cavity of cardinal fish species (Apogonidae, Teleostei), with remarks on their dentitionLev Fishelson
Department of Zoology and Laboratory of Electronmicroscopy, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
J Morphol 259:316-27. 2004..of taste buds (TB) on the lips and in the oropharyngeal cavity were compared by means of SEM in 11 species of cardinal fishes (Apogonidae) belonging to five genera...
- [Crusted (Norwegian) scabies in Dakar (Senegal)]B Ndiaye
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie, , rue de la Chine, 75970 Paris Cedex 20, France
Sante 9:243-8. 1999Between January 1993 and June 1997, 30 patients with crusted scabies were seen at the dermatological clinic in Dakar (Senegal). Seventeen of these patients were male and 13 were female...
- [Maternal risk factors and low birth weight in Senegalese teenagers: the example of a hospital centre in Dakar]O Ndiaye
Chaire de pédiatrie, Université Cheik Anta Diop de Dakar UCAD, 145, grande rue de la Guillotière, 69007 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Sante 11:241-4. 2001..neonatology service of the Abass Ndao hospital centre, a urban community hospital located in the Southern part of Dakar. MATIERIAL AND METHODS: this retrospective study was carried out between July 1, 1998 and June 31, 1999...
- Comparative bioavailability of three ibuprofen formulations in healthy human volunteersG D Mendes
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, SP, Brazil
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 46:309-18. 2008..the bioequivalence of three ibuprofen formulations (Test formulation: ibuprofen (400 mg capsule) manufactured by Cardinal Health Brasil 402 Ltda. (Sorocaba, Brazil) and licensed to Boehringer Ingelheim do Brasil Quim. e Farm. Ltda...
- [Breast cancer screening in Dakar: knowledge and practice of breast self examination among a female population in Senegal]S M K Gueye
Clinique Gynécologique et Obstétricale, C H U A Le Dantec, Dakar, Senegal
Rev Med Brux 30:77-82. 2009..During the period between July 10th to August 25th 2006, through five big hospitals in Dakar, we interviewed 300 patients coming from a medical or surgical consultation...
- Utilization of the least shrew as a rapid and selective screening model for the antiemetic potential and brain penetration of substance P and NK1 receptor antagonistsNissar A Darmani
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA 91766, USA
Brain Res 1214:58-72. 2008Substance P (SP) is thought to play a cardinal role in emesis via the activation of central tachykinin NK1 receptors during the delayed phase of vomiting produced by chemotherapeutics...
- The role of the medial longitudinal fasciculus in horizontal gaze: tests of current hypotheses for saccade-vergence interactionsAthena L Chen
Department of Neurology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 5040, USA
Exp Brain Res 208:335-43. 2011..The brainstem medial longitudinal fasciculus (MLF) plays a cardinal role in ensuring that horizontal saccades between equidistant targets are tightly yoked...
- Highly focused anopheline breeding sites and malaria transmission in DakarVanessa Machault
Unité d entomologie médicale, Equipe 7 Maladies Emergentes et Moustiques, Institut de Medecine Tropicale du Service de Sante des Armees, Allée du Médecin Colonel Jamot, Parc du Pharo, 13262 Marseille cedex 07, France
Malar J 8:138. 2009Urbanization has a great impact on the composition of the vector system and malaria transmission dynamics. In Dakar, some malaria cases are autochthonous but parasite rates and incidences of clinical malaria attacks have been recorded at ..
- [Adult purulent meningitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in Dakar, Senegal]N M Manga
Clinique des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHNU Fann, Dakar
Med Trop (Mars) 68:625-8. 2008..pneumoniae in adult patients hospitalized in the infectious diseases clinic of the Fann University Hospital in Dakar, Senegal from 1995 to 2004. A total of 73 cases of pneumococcal meningitis were recorded during the study period...
- [Mesolimbic and mesocortical pathways in Parkinson disease]Masayuki Yokochi
Department of Neurology, Tokyo Metropolitan HMTC Ebara Hospital, 4 5 10 Higashiyukigaya, Ota ku, Tokyo 145 0065, Japan
Brain Nerve 59:943-51. 2007..Akinesia is composed of two cardinal elements "bradykinesia" and "hypokinesia"...
- Lichens as biomonitors of air quality around a diamond mine, northwest territories, CanadaM A Naeth
Dep of Renewable Resources, Room 751 General Services Building, Univ of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1
J Environ Qual 37:1675-84. 2008..Eight sample sites were located immediately adjacent to a diamond mine, one in each cardinal and ordinal direction, and six sample sites each were located 30 and 60 km from the mine (cardinal, NE, and SE)...
- Onset of symptom resolution in adults with acute bacterial rhinosinusitis treated with a single dose of azithromycin extended release compared with 10 days of levofloxacin: a retrospective analysis of a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy trialBradley F Marple
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Clin Ther 29:2690-8. 2007..The speed with which patients experience resolution of ABRS symptoms has not been reported...
- The effects of acute hypoxia on chemically or neuronally induced catecholamine secretion in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in situ and in vivoS F Perry
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Exp Biol 203:1487-95. 2000..hypoxia on catecholamine secretion in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) were assessed in situ, using a perfused cardinal vein preparation, and in vivo, using chronically cannulated fish...
- Pain attacks in non-complicated and complicated gallstone disease have a characteristic pattern and are accompanied by dyspepsia in most patients: the results of a prospective studyTewelde Berhane
Department of Surgery, Rogaland Central Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
Scand J Gastroenterol 41:93-101. 2006The cardinal indication for surgical treatment of gallstones is pain attacks. However, following cholecystectomy, 20% of patients remain symptomatic...
- Use of isolated populations in the study of a human obesity syndrome, the Bardet-Biedl syndromeVal C Sheffield
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa, 4181 MERF, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Pediatr Res 55:908-11. 2004Bardet-Biedl syndrome (BBS) is a pleiotropic genetic disorder with the cardinal features of obesity, photoreceptor degeneration, polydactyly, hypogenitalism, renal abnormalities, and developmental delay...
- Epidemiologic, clinical, and therapeutic features of acne in Dakar, SenegalAssane Kane
Department of Dermatology, Cheikh Anta Diop University, A Le Dantec Hospital, Dakar, Senegal
Int J Dermatol 46:36-8. 2007..The etiologic factors are not always the same, and the treatments proposed are not always well tolerated in black individuals...
- Modulation of dopaminergic and glutamatergic brain function: PET studies on parkinsonian ratsDaniela Pellegrino
Experimental PET Laboratory, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Nucl Med 48:1147-53. 2007Degeneration of dopaminergic neurons of the substantia nigra pars compacta is a cardinal feature of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Benzodiazepines prescription in Dakar: a study about prescribing habits and knowledge in general practitioners, neurologists and psychiatristsAmadou Moctar Dieye
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie et de Physiologie, Faculte de Medecine, de Pharmacie et d Odonto Stomatologie, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, BP5005, Dakar, Senegal
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 20:235-8. 2006..Specialist doctors work in two Dakar university hospitals and generalists in the 11 health centres in Dakar...
- How dietary restriction catalyzed the evolution of the human brain: An exposition of the nutritional neurotrophic neoteny theoryNūn Amen-Ra
Amenta Press Inc, P O Box 236, Damascus, MD 20872, USA
Med Hypotheses 69:1147-53. 2007..These cardinal phenotypic features, termed the Quadripartite Complex, were selected for their adaptiveness amidst the ..
- Cervical pachymeningeal hypertrophy as the initial and cardinal manifestation of mucopolysaccharidosis type I in monozygotic twins with a novel mutation in the alpha-L-iduronidase geneYutaka Furukawa
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
J Neurol Sci 302:121-5. 2011..At age 24, they both developed cervical myelopathy as a cardinal manifestation...
- Hypopnea, a floating metric: implications for prevalence, morbidity estimates, and case findingS Redline
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland VA Sleep Disorders Center, Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Ohio 44106, USA
Sleep 20:1209-17. 1997..Its popularity as a cardinal disease-defining measure, however, may not be justified given that standardized criteria do not exist for ..
- [Skin disease in Koranic schools in Dakar (Senegal)]Suzanne Oumou Niang
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Le Dantec Dakar
Mali Med 23:5-9. 2008The koranic schools are in poor socio-economical conditions in Dakar and skin diseases are common in these conditions. The goal of our descriptive study was to determine the prevalence of skin diseases occurring in these situations...
- Re-emergent tremor of Parkinson's diseaseJ Jankovic
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 67:646-50. 1999To characterise postural tremors in patients with Parkinson's disease. Rest tremor is a well recognised cardinal symptom of Parkinson's disease, but postural tremors associated with the disease may cause more disability than the more ..
- [Prospective study of sexually transmitted infections in Dakar, Senegal]F Ly
Med Trop (Mars) 66:64-8. 2006..Most patients were Wolof people living in or around Dakar and working in the trades sector (shopkeeper, artists, tailors, drivers, and seamen)...
- The development of scales to measure the experience of self-participation in sleepL Weinstein
City University of New York, New York
Sleep 11:437-47. 1988Recent literature suggests that how the self is represented is a cardinal aspect of the dream experience...
- Headache in brain tumor: a cross-sectional studyN Suwanwela
Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Headache 34:435-8. 1994Headache is one of the cardinal features of intracranial neoplasm. However, there is little published information on the prevalence and clinical profiles of headache in patients with brain tumor...
- Innervation density of the base of the palmD S Ruch
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1070, USA
J Hand Surg Am 24:392-7. 1999..An incision in the long/ring finger web space 2 cm proximal to Kaplan's cardinal line should result in injury to fewer nerves and reduce the incidence of painful neuromas during open carpal ..
- Sesamoiditis of the index finger presenting as acute suppurative flexor tenosynovitisC J Lang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Georgia Baptist Medical Center, Atlanta, USA
J Hand Surg Am 24:1327-30. 1999..We report a patient who presented with Kanavel's 4 cardinal signs of acute suppurative tenosynovitis who was subsequently found to have an acute sesamoiditis of the index ..
- A cardinal orientation bias in scene-selective visual cortexShahin Nasr
Athinioula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Neurosci 32:14921-6. 2012It has long been known that human vision is more sensitive to contours at cardinal (horizontal and vertical) orientations, compared with oblique orientations; this is the "oblique effect...
- Anatomy and histology of apical support: a literature review concerning cardinal and uterosacral ligamentsRajeev Ramanah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Besançon University Medical Center, Besancon, France
Int Urogynecol J 23:1483-94. 2012..on the anatomy, histology, and imaging of apical support of the upper vagina and the uterus provided by the cardinal (CL) and uterosacral (USL) ligaments...
- [Aspects of antihyperglycemic oral bitherapy in 76 cases of non insulindependent diabetes in Dakar]E H Sidibe
BP 5062, Fann, Dakar Sénégal
Sante 12:319-22. 2002..There were 2.5 times more women than men with lower mean age for women. The majority of patients were from Dakar (81.6%). More than half of patients were women at home (60.5%)...
- Targeting dendritic cells for priming cellular immune responsesPeter Gogolak
Institute of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Debrecen, 98 Nagyerdei Blvd, Debrecen H 4012, Hungary
J Mol Recognit 16:299-317. 2003The cardinal role of dendritic cells (DC) in priming adaptive immunity and in orchestrating immune responses against all classes of pathogens and also against tumors is well established...
- Migration and hypertension in Dakar, SenegalPriscilla Duboz
UMR 7268 Anthropologie bio culturelle, Droit, Éthique and Santé, Université d Aix Marseille EFS CNRS, Faculte de Medecine Secteur Nord, CS80011 Bat A, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13344 Marseille Cedex 15
Am J Phys Anthropol 149:250-8. 2012..on the development of hypertension in a sample of 568 adults (290 men; 278 women) aged 20 years and older from Dakar, Senegal...
- Modifying the Medical Research Council grading system through Rasch analysesEls Karla Vanhoutte
Spaarne Hospital Hoofddorp, Spaarnepoort 1, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Brain 135:1639-49. 2012..grading system has served through decades for the evaluation of muscle strength and has been recognized as a cardinal feature of daily neurological, rehabilitation and general medicine examination of patients, despite being ..
- Association study of CARD8 (p.C10X) and NLRP3 (p.Q705K) variants with rheumatoid arthritis in French and Tunisian populationsM Ben Hamad
Laboratory of Human Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Sfax, Tunisia
Int J Immunogenet 39:131-6. 2012..05). This study suggests that variations in the innate immunity genes CARD8 (p.C10X) and NLRP3 (p.Q705K) have no effect on RA susceptibility either in the Tunisian or in the French population...
- Segmental territories along the cardinal veins generate lymph sacs via a ballooning mechanism during embryonic lymphangiogenesis in miceMathias Francois
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Dev Biol 364:89-98. 2012During lymphangiogenesis in the mammalian embryo, a subset of vascular endothelial cells in the cardinal veins is reprogrammed to adopt a lymphatic endothelial fate...
- Evaluating symptom outcomes in gastroparesis clinical trials: validity and responsiveness of the Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index-Daily Diary (GCSI-DD)D A Revicki
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:456-63, e215-6. 2012Patient-reported symptom scales are needed to evaluate treatments for gastroparesis. The Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index-Daily Diary (GCSI-DD) was developed to assess daily symptoms of gastroparesis...
- PSU-WESTERN & SOUTHERN AFRICAN TOBACCO RESEARCH PROJECTGary King; Fiscal Year: 2002..are to: 1) conduct research on tobacco control among youth; 2) establish two Centers of Excellence (COEs) in Dakar, Senegal and Cape Town, South Africa focusing on tobacco control research; 3) develop regional networks of ..
- Mucosal Transmission and Localized Superinfection in HIV-1Mary Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2007..Mullins and Dr. Geoffrey S. Gottlieb and with collaborators at the University of Washington and the University of Dakar, Senegal, to acquire the technical and analytical skills that will foster her development into a productive, ..
- Ang II and Aldosterone Effects on Insulin Resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2010Decreased insulin sensitivity is a cardinal feature of various pathological conditions such as type 2 diabetes and hypertension...
- Insulin action in human cardiac and skeletal muscle microvasculatureZhenqi Liu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction are two cardinal features of T2DM...
- IL-13 Associated Eosinophil Lung ResponsesMarc E Rothenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have also demonstrated a critical role for IL-13 receptor ?1 (IL-13R??1), the type 2 IL-4R, in promoting the cardinal features of asthma (AHR and mucus production)...
- IL-13 Associated Eosinophil Lung ResponsesMARC ROTHENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have also demonstrated a critical role for IL-13 receptor ?1 (IL-13R??1), the type 2 IL-4R, in promoting the cardinal features of asthma (AHR and mucus production)...
- Epithelial JNK-TGFb1 Signaling Axis in Airway RemodelingYvonne Janssen Heininger; Fiscal Year: 2009..The pro-fibrotic cytokine, transforming growth factor beta-1 (TGF-1) plays a cardinal role in the development of fibrosis, and the outcome of TGF-1 induced signaling is highly dependent upon the ..
- SYNAPTIC MECHANISMS OF GENERAL ANESTHETIC ACTIONHugh C Hemmings; Fiscal Year: 2011..to explain how any anesthetic produces amnesia, unconsciousness or immobilization (with increasing doses), the cardinal features of general anesthesia...
- Epithelial JNK-TGFb1 Signaling Axis in Airway RemodelingYvonne M W Janssen Heininger; Fiscal Year: 2010..The pro-fibrotic cytokine, transforming growth factor beta-1 (TGF-1) plays a cardinal role in the development of fibrosis, and the outcome of TGF-1 induced signaling is highly dependent upon the ..
- The Role of the Cortex in Discoordination After StrokeJulius Dewald; Fiscal Year: 2009Loss of independent control of joint movement in the impaired limb is a cardinal sign of stroke that is expressed in the form of stereotypic multi-joint movement patterns...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE MARFAN SYNDROMEHarry Dietz; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Cardinal manifestations involve the ocular, skeletal and cardiovascular systems...
- Neurobiology and Treatment of PainSIDNEY S NEGUS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application is founded on the premises that (1) a cardinal and clinically significant sign of pain is depression of both behavior and mood, and (2) a key goal in pain ..
- Neurobiology and Treatment of PainSIDNEY NEGUS; Fiscal Year: 2009..This application is founded on the premises that (1) a cardinal and clinically significant sign of pain is depression of both behavior and mood, and (2) a key goal in pain ..
- ACID-BASE PHYSIOLOGY OF ORAL STREPTOCOCCIRobert Marquis; Fiscal Year: 1990..Acidurance is one of the cardinal cariogenic properties of plaque bacteria...
- Cytokines and Sympathetic Activation in Heart FailureRobert B Felder; Fiscal Year: 2011..Overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system is a cardinal manifestation of the heart failure syndrome, and a strong predictor of morbidity and mortality...
- Cytokines and Sympathetic Activation in Heart FailureRobert Felder; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system is a cardinal manifestation of the heart failure syndrome, and a strong predictor of morbidity and mortality...
- Cytokines and Sympathetic Activation in Heart FailureRobert B Felder; Fiscal Year: 2010..Overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system is a cardinal manifestation of the heart failure syndrome, and a strong predictor of morbidity and mortality...
- Deep Brain Stimulation Array for NeuromodulationRIO VETTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..While DBS therapy is generally safe and effective for reducing cardinal symptoms of the approved diseases, it often has significant behavioral and cognitive side effects and limits on ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF THE MYOTONIC DYSTROPHY MUTATIONMANI MAHADEVAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Surprisingly, we found that mice overexpressing a normal DMPK 3'UTR mRNA reproduced cardinal features of DM including myotonia, cardiac conduction abnormalities, DM histopathology and RNA splicing defects ..
- Pin1 regulation of prosurvival signalling in eosinophilsJames S Malter; Fiscal Year: 2010Eosinophilic pulmonary inflammation is a cardinal feature of asthma. Once in the lung, eosinophils (Eos) show an activated phenotype and become resistant to apoptosis after exposure to prosurvival cytokines such as GM-CSF...
- Regulation of cholangiocytes by InsP3 receptor isoformsMichael H Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Abnormal cholangiocyte function results in cholestasis, which is a cardinal manifestation of liver disease...
- Effect of preimplantation embryo culture on adult glucose homeostasisPaolo Rinaudo; Fiscal Year: 2010Stress in utero or during the early post natal period plays a cardinal role in shaping future health...
- Targeting Akt/NF-kappa beta for Pancreatic Cancer TherapyFazlul Sarkar; Fiscal Year: 2007..in pancreatic cancer induces downstream target genes, such as uPA, VEGF, IL-8 and Bcl-xl that may mediate its cardinal clinical features of locally aggressive growth, metastasis, and chemotherapy resistance...
- Mechanisms of Early Kidney DevelopmentTERI MAUCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..The pronephros lies sandwiched between the post-cardinal vein and the aorta in the early embryo, and the PM contains angioblasts...
- Gastrointestinal safety and therapeutics of oil-based Phosphatidylcholine-NSAIDSLenard Lichtenberger; Fiscal Year: 2007..and manufacturer (Cardinal Health), the FDA has issued an IND for the ibuprofen-PC and has approved an accelerated 505(b)(2) regulatory path ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF THE MYOTONIC DYSTROPHY MUTATIONMANI SUBRAMANIAM MAHADEVAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surprisingly, we found that mice overexpressing a normal DMPK 3'UTR mRNA reproduced cardinal features of DM including myotonia, cardiac conduction abnormalities, DM histopathology and RNA splicing defects ..
- Central and Peripheral Autonomic Responses in Irritable Bowel SyndromeKirsten Tillisch; Fiscal Year: 2007..The cardinal IBS symptoms of pain, discomfort and altered bowel habits likely arise from a combination of stress modulated ..