Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TERT
Description: telomerase reverse transcriptase
Alias: CMM9, DKCA2, DKCB4, EST2, PFBMFT1, TCS1, TP2, TRT, hEST2, hTRT, telomerase catalytic subunit, telomerase-associated protein 2
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- An alternate splicing variant of the human telomerase catalytic subunit inhibits telomerase activityX Yi
Department of Cell Biology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75390 9039, USA
Neoplasia 2:433-40. 2000..This alternately spliced dominant-negative variant may be important in understanding telomerase regulation during development, differentiation and in cancer progression...
- The hTERT gene is embedded in a nuclease-resistant chromatin domainShuwen Wang
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 279:55401-10. 2004..Normal human cells rarely undergo spontaneous immortalization. Given that ectopic expression of the human telomerase catalytic subunit hTERT leads to cellular immortalization, the endogenous hTERT gene is likely constitutively repressed...
- CTCF binds the proximal exonic region of hTERT and inhibits its transcriptionStéphanie Renaud
Institute of Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Bugnon 25, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Nucleic Acids Res 33:6850-60. 2005..Our results suggest that CTCF participates in key cellular mechanisms underlying immortality by regulating hTERT gene expression...
- Central role of PI3K in transcriptional activation of hTERT in HTLV-I-infected cellsMarcia Bellon
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
Blood 112:2946-55. 2008..The importance of this regulatory pathway for telomerase expression is underscored by findings that the PI3K pathway is commonly found activated in cancer cells...
- Genome-wide association study identifies five susceptibility loci for gliomaSanjay Shete
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 41:899-904. 2009..We identified five risk loci for glioma at 5p15.33 (rs2736100, TERT; P = 1.50 x 10(-17)), 8q24.21 (rs4295627, CCDC26; P = 2.34 x 10(-18)), 9p21.3 (rs4977756, CDKN2A-CDKN2B; P = 7...
- Sequence variants at the TERT-CLPTM1L locus associate with many cancer typesThorunn Rafnar
deCODE Genetics, Sturlugata 8, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 41:221-7. 2009..However, neither variant could fully account for the association of the other. rs2736098 corresponds to A305A in the telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) protein and rs401681 is in an intron of the CLPTM1L gene.
- Lung cancer susceptibility locus at 5p15.33James D McKay
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
Nat Genet 40:1404-6. 2008..016). The susceptibility region contains two genes, TERT and CLPTM1L, suggesting that one or both may have a role in lung cancer etiology.
- A genome-wide association study identifies pancreatic cancer susceptibility loci on chromosomes 13q22.1, 1q32.1 and 5p15.33Gloria M Petersen
Department of Health Sciences Research, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Nat Genet 42:224-8. 2010..71-0.84). A single SNP, rs401681 (P = 3.66 x 10(-7), per-allele OR 1.19, 95% CI 1.11-1.27), maps to the CLPTM1L-TERT locus on 5p15.33, which is associated with multiple cancers...
- Variation at the TERT locus and predisposition for cancerDuncan M Baird
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, UK
Expert Rev Mol Med 12:e16. 2010..Here I review the evidence that variation at the 5p15.33 locus, which contains the TERT gene (encoding the catalytic subunit of telomerase), might play a role in the determination of cancer risk...
- Telomerase mutations in families with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisMary Y Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1317-26. 2007....
- Telomere shortening in familial and sporadic pulmonary fibrosisJennifer T Cronkhite
Eugene McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8591, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:729-37. 2008Heterozygous mutations in the coding regions of the telomerase genes, TERT and TERC, have been found in familial and sporadic cases of idiopathic interstitial pneumonia. All affected patients with mutations have short telomeres.
- Extension of life-span by introduction of telomerase into normal human cellsA G Bodnar
Geron Corporation, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Science 279:349-52. 1998..pigment epithelial cells and foreskin fibroblasts, were transfected with vectors encoding the human telomerase catalytic subunit. In contrast to telomerase-negative control clones, which exhibited telomere shortening and senescence, ..
- Defining the pathogenic role of telomerase mutations in myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemiaMichael Kirwan
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Barts and The London Children s Hospital, United Kingdom
Hum Mutat 30:1567-73. 2009..We have now identified novel mutations in the telomerase RNA (TERC) or telomerase reverse transcriptase component (TERT) within 4 of 20 families presenting with familial MDS/AML...
- hTERT overexpression alleviates intracellular ROS production, improves mitochondrial function, and inhibits ROS-mediated apoptosis in cancer cellsInthrani R Indran
Department of Physiology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Cancer Res 71:266-76. 2011....
- Common genetic variants on 5p15.33 contribute to risk of lung adenocarcinoma in a Chinese populationGuangfu Jin
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Cancer Center, Nanjing Medical University, China
Carcinogenesis 30:987-90. 2009Chromosome 5p15.33, containing TERT and CLPTM1L genes, was recently identified as one of the susceptible regions for lung cancer in Caucasian populations...
- The hTERTalpha splice variant is a dominant negative inhibitor of telomerase activityL M Colgin
Children s Medical Research Institute, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Neoplasia 2:426-32. 2000The telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) is an essential component of the holoenzyme complex that adds telomeric repeats to the ends of human chromosomes...
- A novel prodrug of epigallocatechin-3-gallate: differential epigenetic hTERT repression in human breast cancer cellsSyed M Meeran
Department of Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1300 University Boulevard, Campbell Hall 175, Birmingham, AL 35294 1170, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:1243-54. 2011..Collectively, our data provide new insights into breast cancer prevention through epigenetic modulation of telomerase by using pro-EGCG, a more stable form of EGCG, as a novel chemopreventive compound...
- The Pin2/TRF1-interacting protein PinX1 is a potent telomerase inhibitorX Z Zhou
Cancer Biology Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, HIM 1047, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell 107:347-59. 2001..PinX1 and its small TID domain bind the telomerase catalytic subunit hTERT and potently inhibit its activity...
- Telomere lengths, pulmonary fibrosis and telomerase (TERT) mutationsAlberto Diaz de Leon
McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10680. 2010..Rare loss of function mutations in the gene that encodes the protein component of telomerase (TERT) have been described in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)...
- Telomerase activity in human development is regulated by human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) transcription and by alternate splicing of hTERT transcriptsG A Ulaner
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, and Department of Medicine, Stanford University, California 94304, USA
Cancer Res 58:4168-72. 1998....
- Telomerase activity is restored in human cells by ectopic expression of hTERT (hEST2), the catalytic subunit of telomeraseC M Counter
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02142, USA
Oncogene 16:1217-22. 1998..In humans, mRNA expression of hTERT (hEST2), the candidate telomerase catalytic subunit gene, appears to parallel the levels of telomerase enzyme activity, suggesting that induction of hTERT ..
- An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase formed by TERT and the RMRP RNAYoshiko Maida
Cancer Stem Cell Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Nature 461:230-5. 2009..However, accumulating evidence suggests that the human telomerase reverse transcriptase catalytic subunit (TERT) contributes to cell physiology independently of its ability to elongate telomeres...
- Constitutional hypomorphic telomerase mutations in patients with acute myeloid leukemiaRodrigo T Calado
Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1187-92. 2009..bone marrow samples from 133 consecutive patients with acute myeloid leukemia and 198 controls for variations in TERT and TERC genes...
- Role of 5p15.33 (TERT-CLPTM1L), 6p21.33 and 15q25.1 (CHRNA5-CHRNA3) variation and lung cancer risk in never-smokersYufei Wang
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Carcinogenesis 31:234-8. 2010Genome-wide association studies have provided evidence that common variation at 5p15.33 (TERT-CLPTM1L), 6p21.33 and 15q25.1 (CHRNA5-CHRNA3) influences lung cancer risk...
- Genetic variations on chromosomes 5p15 and 15q25 and bladder cancer risk: findings from the Los Angeles-Shanghai bladder case-control studyManuela Gago-Dominguez
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9175, USA
Carcinogenesis 32:197-202. 2011..26; 95% CI, 1.04-1.54; P = 0.017). Our results support 5p15 and 15q25 as susceptibility regions for bladder cancer risk...
- New common variants affecting susceptibility to basal cell carcinomaSimon N Stacey
deCODE Genetics, Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 41:909-14. 2009..Finally, we report conclusive evidence that rs401681[C] in the TERT-CLPTM1L locus confers susceptibility to BCC but protects against melanoma.
- Survival prediction in patients with glioblastoma multiforme by human telomerase genetic variationLuo Wang
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1627-32. 2006..We investigated whether hTERT MNS16A variant genotype predicted survival in GBM patients...
- Amplification of telomerase (hTERT) gene is a poor prognostic marker in non-small-cell lung cancerC Q Zhu
Division of Applied Molecular Oncology, Ontario Cancer Institute, Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Br J Cancer 94:1452-9. 2006..16, P=0.03). These data indicate that gene amplification is an important mechanism for hTERT overexpression in lung adenocarcinoma and is an independent poor prognostic marker for disease-free survival in NSCLC...
- A genome-wide association study identifies two new lung cancer susceptibility loci at 13q12.12 and 22q12.2 in Han ChineseZhibin Hu
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Ministry of Education MOE Key Laboratory of Modern Toxicology, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Nat Genet 43:792-6. 2011..0 × 10(-8)) located in TP63 (rs4488809 at 3q28, P = 7.2 × 10(-26)), TERT-CLPTM1L (rs465498 and rs2736100 at 5p15.33, P = 1.2 × 10(-20) and P = 1...
- Individuals susceptible to lung adenocarcinoma defined by combined HLA-DQA1 and TERT genotypesTakashi Kohno
Biology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Carcinogenesis 31:834-41. 2010..DQA1*03 and the minor allele for a polymorphism, rs2736100, in TERT, another lung cancer susceptibility locus identified in recent GWASs on Europeans and Americans, were indicated to ..
- Nucleolar localization of hTERT protein is associated with telomerase functionYinhua Yang
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06536 0812, USA
Exp Cell Res 277:201-9. 2002..One is a reverse transcriptase subunit, TERT (telomerase reverse transcriptase); another is an RNA template subunit, TR (telomerase RNA)...
- Regulation of the hTERT telomerase catalytic subunit by the c-Abl tyrosine kinaseS Kharbanda
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Biol 10:568-75. 2000..Cloning and characterization of the human catalytic subunit of telomerase (hTERT) has supported a role in cell transformation. How telomerase activity is regulated, however, is largely unknown...
- Differentiating alternative splice variant patterns of human telomerase reverse transcriptase in thyroid neoplasmsYongchun Wang
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Thyroid 18:1055-63. 2008....
- MNS16A minisatellite genotypes in relation to risk of glioma and meningioma and to glioblastoma outcomeUlrika Andersson
Department of Radiation Sciences, Oncology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Cancer 125:968-72. 2009..Collected data from our and previous studies regarding both risk and survival for the MNS16A genotypes are contradictory and warrant further investigations...
- Cloning and characterization of the promoter region of human telomerase reverse transcriptase geneI Horikawa
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Cancer Res 59:826-30. 1999..Identification of the regulatory regions of the hTERT promoter sequence will be essential in understanding the molecular mechanisms of positive and negative regulation of telomerase...
- Expression profile of a gamma-deletion variant of the human telomerase reverse transcriptase geneHisashi Hisatomi
Center for Molecular Biology and Cytogenetics, SRL Inc, 5 6 50 Shin machi Hino, Tokyo, Japan
Neoplasia 5:193-7. 2003..Both gamma- and alpha-deletion variants were occasionally detected, but the beta-deletion variant was frequently observed. Our results may provide important information for more detailed studies on the regulation of telomerase activity...
- Cell cycle dependent telomere regulation by telomerase in human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsYan min Zhao
Bone Marrow Transplantation Center, The First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 79 Qingchun Road, Hangzhou 310003, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 369:1114-9. 2008..These findings provide a profile of telomere regulation by cell cycle dependent expression of telomerase in hMSCs and may lead to a better understanding of the stem cell nature of these cells...
- Adult-onset pulmonary fibrosis caused by mutations in telomeraseKalliopi D Tsakiri
McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:7552-7. 2007..Sequencing a candidate gene within the interval, TERT, revealed a missense mutation and a frameshift mutation that cosegregated with pulmonary disease in the two ..
- The N-terminus of hTERT contains a DNA-binding domain and is required for telomerase activity and cellular immortalizationDavid C F Sealey
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Campbell Family Institute for Breast Cancer Research, Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C1, Canada
Nucleic Acids Res 38:2019-35. 2010..The ability of telomerase to elongate single-stranded telomeric DNA depends on the reverse transcriptase domain of TERT, and also relies on protein:DNA contacts outside the active site...
- Hypermethylation of the hTERT promoter inhibits the expression of telomerase activity in normal oral fibroblasts and senescent normal oral keratinocytesK H Shin
School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Br J Cancer 89:1473-8. 2003..Our results suggest that hypermethylation of the hTERT promoter plays a critical role in the negative regulation of telomerase activity in normal human oral cells...
- Quantification of hTERT splice variants in melanoma by SYBR green real-time polymerase chain reaction indicates a negative regulatory role for the beta deletion variantLisa F Lincz
Department of Haematology, Calvary Mater Newcastle, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Neoplasia 10:1131-7. 2008..This study shows that telomerase activity in melanoma cells is best determined by the absolute expression of full-length hTERT mRNA and indicates a role for the hTERT beta deletion variant in the negative regulation of enzyme activity...
- Characterization of novel alternative splicing sites in human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT): analysis of expression and mutual correlation in mRNA isoforms from normal and tumour tissuesStein Saebøe-Larssen
Section for Immunotherapy, Department of Immunology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Cancer Research Institute, University of Oslo, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
BMC Mol Biol 7:26. 2006..Knowledge of the different hTERT mRNA isoforms and the ability to distinguish between them is an important issue when evaluating telomerase expression...
- Regulation of telomerase by telomeric proteinsAgata Smogorzewska
The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 73:177-208. 2004..sequences that can be maintained by telomerase, a complex containing a reverse transcriptase (hTERT in humans and Est2 in budding yeast), a template RNA (hTERC in humans and Tlc1 in yeast), and accessory factors (the Est1 proteins and ..
- Significance of immunological detection of human telomerase reverse transcriptase: re-evaluation of expression and localization of human telomerase reverse transcriptaseSatoru Kyo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takaramachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8641, Japan
Am J Pathol 163:859-67. 2003..not all normal primary cells and telomerase-negative cancer cell lines lacked hTERT expression; some exhibited weak TERT signals...
- Emerging roles for telomerase in regulating cell differentiation and survival: a neuroscientist's perspectiveM P Mattson
Laboratory of Neurosciences 4F02, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 122:659-71. 2001..The catalytic subunit of telomerase (TERT) remains at relatively high levels during the process of neuronal differentiation and then decreases sharply during ..
- Inhibitory effects of antisense phosphorothioate oligodeoxynucleotides on pancreatic cancer cell Bxpc-3 telomerase activity and cell growth in vitroYun Feng Wang
Department of General Surgery, The Center Hospital of Shanghai Yangpu District Branch Hospital of the Affiliated Xinhua Hospital of Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200127, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:4004-8. 2006..To investigate the effect of telomerase hTERT gene antisense oligonucleotide (hTERT-ASO) on proliferation and telomerase activity of pancreatic cancer cell line Bxpc-3...
- Telomere dysfunction and telomerase reactivation in human leukemia cell lines after telomerase inhibition by the expression of a dominant-negative hTERT mutantFrancois Delhommeau
INSERM U362, PR 1, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 53 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Oncogene 21:8262-71. 2002....
- Changes of telomerase activity by alternative splicing of full-length and beta variants of hTERT in breast cancer patientsSun Young Rha
Cancer Metastasis Research Center, Yonsei Cancer Center, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Oncol Res 18:213-20. 2009..027). Telomerase activity changed with alternative splicing of the full-length and beta variants expression of hTERT in breast cancer...
- Interaction between 5 genetic variants and allergy in glioma riskMinouk J Schoemaker
Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, United Kingdom
Am J Epidemiol 171:1165-73. 2010..Genome-wide association data have identified common genetic variants at 5p15.33 (rs2736100, TERT), 8q24.21 (rs4295627, CCDC26), 9p21.3 (rs4977756, CDKN2A-CDKN2B), 11q23.3 (rs498872, PHLDB1), and 20q13...
- A functional variant of tandem repeats in human telomerase gene was associated with survival of patients with early stages of non-small cell lung cancerLuo Wang
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:3779-85. 2010..It is unknown, however, whether or not the hTERT MNS16A variant genotype predicts survival of NSCLC patients...
- Association of sequence variants on chromosomes 20, 11, and 5 (20q13.33, 11q23.3, and 5p15.33) with glioma susceptibility in a Chinese populationHongyan Chen
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Fudan VARI Genetic Epidemiology Center and MOE Key Laboratory of Contemporary Anthropology, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai200433, China
Am J Epidemiol 173:915-22. 2011..33 (RTEL1 rs6010620 (P = 2.79 × 10(-6))), 11q23.3 (PHLDB1 rs498872 (P = 3.8 × 10(-6))), and 5p15.33 (TERT rs2736100 (P = 3...
- Expression of (NES-)hTERT in cancer cells delays cell cycle progression and increases sensitivity to genotoxic stressOlga A Kovalenko
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e10812. 2010....
- Alternative lengthening of telomeres in hTERT-inhibited laryngeal cancer cellsWei Chen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, China
Cancer Sci 101:1769-76. 2010..Thus, the findings in this study may help to improve telomerase-based therapy for cancer...
- C-terminal amino acids 290-328 of LPTS/PinX1 confer telomerase inhibitionGuoyuan Chen
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 398:683-9. 2010..inhibitor composed of 328 amino acids, binds to the telomere associated protein Pin2/TRF1 and to the telomerase catalytic subunit hTERT. However, the mechanism by which LPTS/PinX1 regulates telomerase activity remains unclear...
- Variation in TP63 is associated with lung adenocarcinoma susceptibility in Japanese and Korean populationsDaiki Miki
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Nat Genet 42:893-6. 2010..The combined analyses identified two susceptibility loci for lung adenocarcinoma: TERT (rs2736100, combined P = 2.91 × 10⁻¹¹), odds ratio (OR) = 1.27) and TP63 (rs10937405, combined P = 7...
- Dual roles of a variable number of tandem repeat polymorphism in the TERT gene in lung cancerGuang Jin
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
Cancer Sci 102:144-9. 2011..impact of a functional tandem repeat minisatellite (MNS16A) polymorphism in the telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) gene on the risk of lung cancer, as well as on survival of patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Reverse transcriptase motifs in the catalytic subunit of telomeraseJ Lingner
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0215, USA
Science 276:561-7. 1997..A yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) homolog was found and subsequently identified as EST2 (ever shorter telomeres), deletion of which had independently been shown to produce telomere defects...
- hTERT expression is a prognostic factor of survival in patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancerLuo Wang
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2883-9. 2002..hTERT may serve as a useful marker to identify patients with poor prognosis and to select patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer who might benefit from adjuvant treatment...
- Telomerase activity and human telomerase reverse transcriptase mRNA expression are correlated with clinical aggressiveness in soft tissue tumorsRyota Tomoda
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mie University School of Medicine, Japan
Cancer 95:1127-33. 2002..Human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT), a telomerase catalytic subunit, reportedly regulates telomerase activity...
- Erosion of telomeric single-stranded overhang in patients with aplastic anaemia carrying telomerase complex mutationsR T Calado
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1202, USA
Eur J Clin Invest 39:1025-32. 2009..Telomeres are constituted of double-stranded tandem TTAGGG repeats followed by a 3' G-rich single-stranded overhang, a crucial telomeric structural component responsible for the t-loop formation...
- Changes of the alternative splicing variants of human telomerase reverse transcriptase during gastric carcinogenesisJin heng Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Tianjin Medical University, Heping District, Tianjin, China
Pathobiology 76:23-9. 2009..We attempted to reveal the changes of the human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) alternative splicing pattern in gastric carcinogenesis...
- Direct involvement of the TEN domain at the active site of human telomeraseJulie Jurczyluk
Children s Medical Research Institute, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Nucleic Acids Res 39:1774-88. 2011..The catalytic protein subunit of telomerase (TERT) contains an N-terminal domain (TEN) that is important for activity and processivity...
- Rescue of an hTERT mutant defective in telomere elongation by fusion with hPot1Blaine N Armbruster
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:3552-61. 2004..However, this rescue depended on the ability of hPot1 to localize to telomeres rather than binding to DNA per se. These data support a model whereby the DAT domain of hTERT is implicated in telomere-telomerase associations...
- Human telomerase domain interactions capture DNA for TEN domain-dependent processive elongationAaron R Robart
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Mol Cell 42:308-18. 2011..Notably, we find that complete single-repeat synthesis requires only a telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) core...
- Telomere length of normal leukocytes is affected by a functional polymorphism of hTERTYumiko Matsubara
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:128-31. 2006..0117). These findings suggest that the functional (-1327)T/C polymorphism of hTERT is associated with leukocyte telomere length in normal individuals...
- Telomerase maintains telomere structure in normal human cellsKenkichi Masutomi
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 114:241-53. 2003..Here, we demonstrate that the rate-limiting telomerase catalytic subunit hTERT is expressed in cycling primary presenescent human fibroblasts, previously believed to lack hTERT ..
- TPP1 is a homologue of ciliate TEBP-beta and interacts with POT1 to recruit telomeraseHuawei Xin
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 445:559-62. 2007....
- C-terminal regions of the human telomerase catalytic subunit essential for in vivo enzyme activitySoma S R Banik
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6234-46. 2002..While telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) is conserved in most eukaryotes, mounting evidence suggests that the C terminus of the human protein may have ..
- Methylation status and expression of human telomerase reverse transcriptase in ovarian and cervical cancerAndreas Widschwendter
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Innsbruck University Hospital, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Gynecol Oncol 93:407-16. 2004..The expression pattern of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT), the telomerase catalytic subunit gene, is correlated with telomerase activity...
- Small-molecule-based identification of dynamic assembly of E2F-pocket protein-histone deacetylase complex for telomerase regulation in human cellsJaejoon Won
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon 305 701, Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:11328-33. 2004..normal human somatic cells have a limited proliferative life span, and expression of the rate-limiting telomerase catalytic subunit, known as human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT), has been believed to be tightly repressed...
- Telomerase contributes to tumorigenesis by a telomere length-independent mechanismSheila A Stewart
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12606-11. 2002..These studies indicate that hTERT confers an additional function that is required for tumorigenesis but does not depend on its ability to maintain telomeres...
- Alternatively spliced variant deleting exons 7 and 8 of the human telomerase reverse transcriptase gene is dominantly expressed in the uterusY Yokoyama
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu University School of Medicine, 40 Tsukasa Machi, Gifu, 500 8705, Japan
Mol Hum Reprod 7:853-7. 2001..These results suggest that regulation of splicing in the transcript encoding the hTERT reverse transcriptase domain is associated with telomerase activation in uterine tissues...
- Functional organization of repeat addition processivity and DNA synthesis determinants in the human telomerase multimerTara J Moriarty
Bloomfield Centre for Research in Aging, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital and Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 24:3720-33. 2004..These data provide novel insight into the catalytic organization of the human telomerase complex and suggest that repeat addition processivity is one of the major catalytic properties conferred by telomerase multimerization...
- Expression of human telomerase (hTERT) does not prevent stress-induced senescence in normal human fibroblasts but protects the cells from stress-induced apoptosis and necrosisVera Gorbunova
Huffington Center on Aging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 277:38540-9. 2002..We hypothesize that healing of DNA breaks by telomerase inhibits the induction of cell death, but because healing does not provide legitimate DNA repair, it does not protect cells from SIPS...
- Expression of NF-kappaB and human telomerase reverse transcriptase in gastric cancer and precancerous lesionsWei Wang
Department of Gastroenterology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, Hubei Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:177-81. 2004..To investigate the expression of NF-kappaBp65 protein and human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) and their correlation in gastric cancer and precancerous lesions...
- Glioblastoma induces vascular endothelial cells to express telomerase in vitroMaria Laura Falchetti
Institute of Neurobiology and Molecular Medicine, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Rome 00137, Italy
Cancer Res 63:3750-4. 2003..These results provide strong evidence of the involvement of telomerase in tumor angiogenesis and will stimulate research on antitelomerase drugs for treatment of malignant brain gliomas...
- Hydrogen peroxide triggers nuclear export of telomerase reverse transcriptase via Src kinase family-dependent phosphorylation of tyrosine 707Judith Haendeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV Department of Physiology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 23:4598-610. 2003The regulation of telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) plays an important role in the proliferative capacity and survival of cells...
- Reversible manipulation of telomerase expression and telomere length. Implications for the ionizing radiation response and replicative senescence of human cellsMiguel A Rubio
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Biol Chem 277:28609-17. 2002..Our results support a role for telomere structure, rather than length, in replicative senescence...
- Detection of human telomerase reverse transcriptase mRNA in urine of patients with bladder cancer: evaluation of an emerging tumor markerN Melissourgos
Department of Urology, G Gennimatas General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Urology 62:362-7. 2003....
- The histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A derepresses the telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) gene in human cellsMi Hou
Department of Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital and Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 274:25-34. 2002..Taken together, histone acetylation/deacetylation may be a common underlying feature to hTERT transactivation/repression in human normal and malignant cells...
- Telomerase induces immortalization of human esophageal keratinocytes without p16INK4a inactivationHideki Harada
Gastroenterology Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cancer Res 1:729-38. 2003..These comprehensive results indicate that the expression of telomerase induces immortalization of normal human esophageal keratinocytes without inactivation of p16INK4a/pRb pathway or abrogation of the p53 pathway...
- Hypermethylation of the human telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) gene correlates with telomerase activityIsabelle Guilleret
Institut de Pathologie and Institut de Médecine Légale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 101:335-41. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the first gene in which methylation of its promoter sequence has been found to be positively correlated with gene expression...
- Downstream E-box-mediated regulation of the human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) gene transcription: evidence for an endogenous mechanism of transcriptional repressionIzumi Horikawa
Laboratory of Biosystems and Cancer, Cancer and Aging Section, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Biol Cell 13:2585-97. 2002Regulation of the hTERT gene encoding the telomerase catalytic subunit plays an important role in human cell senescence, immortalization, and carcinogenesis...
- Putative telomere-recruiting domain in the catalytic subunit of human telomeraseBlaine N Armbruster
Departments of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:3237-46. 2003..We previously described a domain in the hTERT telomerase catalytic subunit that is essential for telomere elongation and cell immortalization in vivo but dispensable for ..
- The human telomerase gene: complete genomic sequence and analysis of tandem repeat polymorphisms in intronic regionsSun Hee Leem
Department of Biology, Dong A University, Pusan 604 714, Korea
Oncogene 21:769-77. 2002..This observation suggests that chromosomal rearrangements implicating these VNTRs may be associated with the activation of telomerase expression in cancer cells...
- Stable association of hsp90 and p23, but Not hsp70, with active human telomeraseH L Forsythe
Departments of Pathology and Human Genetics, Massey Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0662, USA
J Biol Chem 276:15571-4. 2001....
- The E6AP ubiquitin ligase is required for transactivation of the hTERT promoter by the human papillomavirus E6 oncoproteinXuefeng Liu
Department of Pathology and Oncology, Georgetown University Medical School, 3900 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20057, USA
J Biol Chem 280:10807-16. 2005..telomerase in primary human keratinocytes at least partly via transcriptional activation of the telomerase catalytic subunit, hTERT...
- The active site residue Valine 867 in human telomerase reverse transcriptase influences nucleotide incorporation and fidelityWilliam C Drosopoulos
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:1155-68. 2007..These findings suggest that by evolving to have a valine at position 867, the wild-type hTERT protein may have partially compromised polymerase fidelity for optimal and rapid repeat synthesis...
- Mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade-mediated histone H3 phosphorylation is critical for telomerase reverse transcriptase expression/telomerase activation induced by proliferationZheng Ge
Division of Hematology, Deaprtment of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Cell Biol 26:230-7. 2006..These results define H3 phosphorylation as a key to hTERT transactivation induced by proliferation and reveal a fundamental mechanism for telomerase regulation in both normal human cells and transformed T cells...
- Ectopically hTERT expressing adult human mesenchymal stem cells are less radiosensitive than their telomerase negative counterpartNedime Serakinci
Department of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Exp Cell Res 313:1056-67. 2007..Our results indicate that hMSC and TERT-immortalized hMSCs can cope with relatively high doses of gamma-rays and that overall DNA repair is similar in the ..
- Tumor-specific activation of human telomerase reverses transcriptase promoter activity by activating enhancer-binding protein-2beta in human lung cancer cellsWu Guo Deng
Section of Thoracic Molecular Oncology, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26460-70. 2007..Our results demonstrate the tumor-specific activation of the hTERT promoter by AP-2beta and imply the potential of AP-2beta as a novel tumor marker or a cancer therapeutic target...
- Site-specific methylation of CpG nucleotides in the hTERT promoter region can control the expression of hTERT during malignant progression of colorectal carcinomaJee Hye Choi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, 221 Heuksuk Dong, Dongjak Ku, Seoul 156 756, South Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 361:615-20. 2007..These findings may provide important clues to deducing the expression mechanisms of hTERT...
- Purification of human telomerase complexes identifies factors involved in telomerase biogenesis and telomere length regulationDragony Fu
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Mol Cell 28:773-85. 2007..Our findings suggest that endogenous human telomerase complexes are more heterogeneous than those of single-celled eukaryotes, have predominantly shared rather than telomerase-specific proteins, and make numerous regulatory interactions...
- A tandem repeat of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) and risk of breast cancer development and metastasis in Chinese womenYan Wang
Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Carcinogenesis 29:1197-201. 2008..13, 95% CI = 1.05-4.33) compared with wild-type 302/302 genotype. These findings indicate that the MNS16A variant in the hTERT gene may contribute to the risk of breast cancer development and metastasis in Chinese women...
- NFX1 interacts with mSin3A/histone deacetylase to repress hTERT transcription in keratinocytesMei Xu
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:4819-28. 2008..These data demonstrate that targeted degradation of NFX1-91 by E6/E6AP dissociates the mSin3A/HDAC complex from the hTERT promoter and induces hTERT transcription...
- Cloning of human telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) gene promoter and identification of proximal core promoter sequences essential for transcriptional activation in immortalized and cancer cellsM Takakura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kanazawa University, School of Medicine, Ishikawa, Japan
Cancer Res 59:551-7. 1999..Of the three major subunits comprising human telomerase, human telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) has been shown to be a rate-limiting determinant of the enzymatic activity of human telomerase...
- The human telomerase catalytic subunit hTERT: organization of the gene and characterization of the promoterY S Cong
Cancer Research Group, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University HSC 4H30, 120 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 8:137-42. 1999..The abundance of these sites suggests the possibility that hTERT expression may be subject to multiple levels of control and be regulated by different factors in different cellular contexts...
- Telomerase activation in cervical keratinocytes containing stably replicating human papillomavirus type 16 episomesDaniel L Sprague
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Virology 301:247-54. 2002....
- The multi-step process of human skin carcinogenesis: a role for p53, cyclin D1, hTERT, p16, and TSP-1Bettina Burnworth
Division of Genetics of Skin Carcinogenesis, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Cell Biol 86:763-80. 2007..e. the angiogenic switch) required for malignant growth...
- Quantitative evaluation of telomerase subunits in urine as biomarkers for noninvasive detection of bladder cancerSteffen Weikert
Department of Urology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus B Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Cancer 117:274-80. 2005..These data suggest that quantitative hTR analysis is the most accurate telomerase-based test for bladder cancer detection and has the potential to replace cytology as a noninvasive biomarker for disease diagnosis and follow-up...
- Human telomerase RNA template sequence is a determinant of telomere repeat extension rateWilliam C Drosopoulos
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 280:32801-10. 2005..Our results suggest that telomerase RNA template sequence is a key determinant of the contribution of telomerase to telomere length regulation...
- STRUCTURE AND BEHAVIOR OF YEAST TELOMERESVirginia Zakian; Fiscal Year: 2007..consists of telomerase RNA, encoded by the TLC1 gene, and the catalytic reverse transcriptase, encoded by EST2. Cdcl3p, which binds the single strand TGI__ tails at the very ends of yeast chromosomes is also essential for ..
- Regulation and Function of hTERT in Human CellsWilliam C Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, mutations of telomerase components required for catalytic activity, TERT and TERC, are found in diseases characterized by stem cell failure including dyskeratosis congenita, subsets of ..
- Defining the telomerase holoenzyme in progenitor cells with agingSteven E Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2010..behaves as a very large complex, only three components of the telomerase holoenzyme were identified until recently: TERT, the telomerase reverse transcriptase, TERC, the telomerase RNA component, and dyskerin, a TERC-binding protein...
- Structure and Behaviour of Yeast TelomeresVirginia A Zakian; Fiscal Year: 2010..Telomerase action in S. cerevisiae in vivo requires at least five genes, EST1, EST2, EST3, TLC1 and CDC13...
- Structure and Behaviour of Yeast TelomeresVirginia A Zakian; Fiscal Year: 2011..Telomerase action in S. cerevisiae in vivo requires at least five genes, EST1, EST2, EST3, TLC1 and CDC13...
- TELOMERE REPLICATION AND SENESCENCE IN YEASTVictoria Lundblad; Fiscal Year: 2001..The genetic screen resulted in identification of two new EST genes (EST2 and EST3) as well as a novel est-like mutation in a gene previously implicated at the telomere (CDC13)...
- Telomeres, Telomerase and Tumor ProgressionSteven Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have developed a sophisticated mouse model system to directly test these hypotheses using a novel allele of TERT, the catalytic component of telomerase that can be reactivated...
- Telomeres, Telomerase and Tumor ProgressionSteven Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have developed a sophisticated mouse model system to directly test these hypotheses using a novel allele of TERT, the catalytic component of telomerase that can be reactivated...
- Herpesvirus-induced telomerase dysregulation and tumor formationNikolaus Osterrieder; Fiscal Year: 2007..Telomerase is a ribonucleoprotein complex with its core constituents being telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) and telomerase RNA (TR)...
- Herpesvirus-induced telomerase dysregulation and tumor formationKeith William Jarosinski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Telomerase is a ribonucleoprotein complex with its core constituents being telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) and telomerase RNA (TR)...
- Structure and dynamics of the Tetrahymena telomerase ribonucleoproteinMichael D Stone; Fiscal Year: 2011..that requires a strong functional interdependence of the telomerase RNA, telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT), and several additional protein subunits...
- Structure and Function of Human TelomeraseJULI F FEIGON; Fiscal Year: 2010..a large RNA (TR) (451 nt in humans) that includes an RNA template and a unique telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT), as well as other proteins important for function in vivo...
- Structure and Function of Human TelomeraseJuli Feigon; Fiscal Year: 2009..a large RNA (TR) (451 nt in humans) that includes an RNA template and a unique telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT), as well as other proteins important for function in vivo...
- STRUCTURE AND BEHAVIOR OF YEAST TELOMERESVirginia Zakian; Fiscal Year: 2006..consists of telomerase RNA, encoded by the TLC1 gene, and the catalytic reverse transcriptase, encoded by EST2. Cdcl3p, which binds the single strand TG1-3 tails at the very ends of yeast chromosomes is also essential for ..
- Biogenesis and Regulation of Human TelomeraseKathleen Collins; Fiscal Year: 2010..This RNP then recruits telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) to generate the active enzyme...
- Regulation of the Telomerase Protein Component In CancerSteven Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2007..In mediating the ability of cancer cells to proliferate in an immortal fashion, telomerase requires both TERT, the telomerase protein component, and TERC, the telomerase RNA component, which together add telomere sequences to ..
- Regulation of the Telomerase Protein Component In CancerSteven E Artandi; Fiscal Year: 2010..In mediating the ability of cancer cells to proliferate in an immortal fashion, telomerase requires both TERT, the telomerase protein component, and TERC, the telomerase RNA component, which together add telomere sequences to ..
- Telomerase RNA Transfected Dendritic Cell VaccinesJohannes Vieweg; Fiscal Year: 2005..patients by inducing immunity against the protein subunit of human telomerase, telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT)...
- CANCER VACCINATION AGAINST TELOMERASEEli Gilboa; Fiscal Year: 2005..The polypeptide component of telomerase, also know as telomerase reverse transcriptase or TERT, is an attractive candidate for a broadly expressed tumor antigen since telomerase is silent in normal tissues but ..
- The Function of Telomerase and TelomeresElizabeth Blackburn; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will determine the roles of specific residues and domains of the telomerase RNA (TLC1) and TERT (Est2p) in functions of yeast telomerase, including its dimerization and a newly-charactedzed functional protection ..
- Telomerase Specific Caspase Transfer for GliomasSeiji Kondo; Fiscal Year: 2004..Activation of telomerase is tightly regulated at the transcriptional level of the telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT)...
- Structure of ribonucleoprotein: telomeraseGabriele Varani; Fiscal Year: 2007..The enzymatic activity of telomerase (TERT) is homologous to viral reverse transcriptases, while the RNA (TER) provides the template and a landing dock for ..
- Regulation and Function of Telomerase in Human CellsWilliam Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2007..However, we have recently found that the rate-limiting telomerase catalytic subunit, hTERT, is expressed in cycling primary human fibroblasts, previously believed to be devoid of ..
- Telomerase in Inflammation and AtherosclerosisDennis Bruemmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Stem cells constitutively overexpress the catalytic core telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) manifesting high levels of telomerase activity, which confers an apparently indefinite lifespan and is rate ..
- Telomerase in Inflammation and AtherosclerosisDENNIS CHRISTOPHER BRUEMMER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Stem cells constitutively overexpress the catalytic core telomerase reverse transcriptase (TERT) manifesting high levels of telomerase activity, which confers an apparently indefinite lifespan and is rate ..
- Telomerase and Telomeres: Structure, Function and RegulationThomas Cech; Fiscal Year: 2009..reactivation of telomerase; thus, there is substantial interest in anti-telomerase chemotherapeutic agents and in TERT (telomerase reverse transcriptase) as an antigen for cancer vaccines...