Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TAF12
Description: TATA-box binding protein associated factor 12
Alias: TAF2J, TAFII20, transcription initiation factor TFIID subunit 12, TAF12 RNA polymerase II, TATA box binding protein (TBP)-associated factor, 20kDa, TAFII-20/TAFII-15, TAFII20/TAFII15, TATA box binding protein (TBP)-associated factor, RNA polymerase II, J, 20kD, transcription initiation factor TFIID 20/15 kDa subunits
- Gazit K, Moshonov S, Elfakess R, Sharon M, Mengus G, Davidson I, et al. TAF4/4b x TAF12 displays a unique mode of DNA binding and is required for core promoter function of a subset of genes. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26286-96 pubmed publisher..Here we analyzed the mode of TAF4b.TAF12 DNA binding and show that this complex binds DNA with high affinity...
- Ou S, García Martínez L, Paulssen E, Gaynor R. Role of flanking E box motifs in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 TATA element function. J Virol. 1994;68:7188-99 pubmed
- Gangloff Y, Werten S, Romier C, Carre L, Poch O, Moras D, et al. The human TFIID components TAF(II)135 and TAF(II)20 and the yeast SAGA components ADA1 and TAF(II)68 heterodimerize to form histone-like pairs. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:340-51 pubmed..These results are indicative of a histone fold type of interaction between hTAF(II)20-hTAF(II)135 and yTAF(II)68-yADA1, which therefore constitute novel histone-like pairs in the TFIID and SAGA complexes. ..
- Laboucarié T, Detilleux D, Rodriguez Mias R, Faux C, Romeo Y, Franz Wachtel M, et al. TORC1 and TORC2 converge to regulate the SAGA co-activator in response to nutrient availability. EMBO Rep. 2017;18:2197-2218 pubmed publisher..and proteomic approaches, we show that SAGA responds to nutrients through the differential phosphorylation of its Taf12 component, downstream of both the TORC1 and TORC2 pathways...
- Hoffmann A, Chiang C, Oelgeschlager T, Xie X, Burley S, Nakatani Y, et al. A histone octamer-like structure within TFIID. Nature. 1996;380:356-9 pubmed..Together with analyses of native TFIID complexes and accompanying crystallographic studies, the results suggest that there is a histone octamer-like TAF complex within TFIID. ..
- Zhang Z, Zhang F, Cheng Z, Liu L, Lin Q, Wu F, et al. Functional characterization of rice CW-domain containing zinc finger proteins involved in histone recognition. Plant Sci. 2017;263:168-176 pubmed publisher..Further study found that OsCW-ZF7 interacts with TAFII20, a transcription initiation factor TFIID 20kDa subunit. Knockout of OsCW-ZF7 caused defective development of awns...
- Hoffmann A, Roeder R. Cloning and characterization of human TAF20/15. Multiple interactions suggest a central role in TFIID complex formation. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:18194-202 pubmed
- Tao Y, Guermah M, Martinez E, Oelgeschlager T, Hasegawa S, Takada R, et al. Specific interactions and potential functions of human TAFII100. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:6714-21 pubmed
- Kashanchi F, Piras G, Radonovich M, Duvall J, Fattaey A, Chiang C, et al. Direct interaction of human TFIID with the HIV-1 transactivator tat. Nature. 1994;367:295-9 pubmed..Tat binds, through amino acids 36-50, directly to the TBP subunit of TFIID. Our results suggest that Tat may transduce upstream or downstream regulatory signals by direct interaction with the basal transcription factor TFIID. ..
- Hintze S, Engelhardt M, van Diepen L, Witt E, Schüller H. Multiple Taf subunits of TFIID interact with Ino2 activation domains and contribute to expression of genes required for yeast phospholipid biosynthesis. Mol Microbiol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..that multiple subunits of basal transcription factor TFIID (TBP-associated factors Taf1, Taf4, Taf6, Taf10 and Taf12) are able to interact in vitro with activation domains of Ino2...
- Hamard P, Boyer Guittaut M, Camuzeaux B, Dujardin D, Hauss C, OELGESCHLAGER T, et al. Sumoylation delays the ATF7 transcription factor subcellular localization and inhibits its transcriptional activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:1134-44 pubmed..able to heterodimerize with Jun or Fos proteins and its transcriptional activity is mediated by interaction with TAF12, a subunit of the general transcription factor TFIID...
- Frontini M, Imbriano C, diSilvio A, Bell B, Bogni A, Romier C, et al. NF-Y recruitment of TFIID, multiple interactions with histone fold TAF(II)s. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5841-8 pubmed..These results indicate that NF-Y (i) recruits purified holo-TFIID in vitro and (ii) can associate multiple TAF(II)s, potentially accommodating different core promoter architectures. ..
- Martinez E, Palhan V, Tjernberg A, Lymar E, Gamper A, Kundu T, et al. Human STAGA complex is a chromatin-acetylating transcription coactivator that interacts with pre-mRNA splicing and DNA damage-binding factors in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6782-95 pubmed
- Kashanchi F, Khleif S, Duvall J, Sadaie M, Radonovich M, Cho M, et al. Interaction of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat with a unique site of TFIID inhibits negative cofactor Dr1 and stabilizes the TFIID-TFIIA complex. J Virol. 1996;70:5503-10 pubmed..In addition, Tat competes for Dr1 interaction with TBP. Our results suggest that the basal transcription factor TBP/TFIID represents an important regulatory molecule in HIV transcription. ..
- Vassilev A, Yamauchi J, Kotani T, Prives C, Avantaggiati M, Qin J, et al. The 400 kDa subunit of the PCAF histone acetylase complex belongs to the ATM superfamily. Mol Cell. 1998;2:869-75 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that PAF400 may play a role in signaling of DNA damage to p53 by stimulation of p53 acetylation. ..
- Ogryzko V, Kotani T, Zhang X, Schiltz R, Howard T, Yang X, et al. Histone-like TAFs within the PCAF histone acetylase complex. Cell. 1998;94:35-44 pubmed..Moreover, the PCAF complex has a novel subunit with WD40 repeats having a similarity to hTAF(II)100. ..
- Wieczorek E, Brand M, Jacq X, Tora L. Function of TAF(II)-containing complex without TBP in transcription by RNA polymerase II. Nature. 1998;393:187-91 pubmed..These results indicate that TBP-free RNA polymerase II mediated transcription may be able to occur in mammalian cells and that multiple preinitiation complexes may play an important role in regulating gene expression. ..
- Guermah M, Tao Y, Roeder R. Positive and negative TAF(II) functions that suggest a dynamic TFIID structure and elicit synergy with traps in activator-induced transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6882-94 pubmed
- Parada C, Yoon J, Roeder R. A novel LBP-1-mediated restriction of HIV-1 transcription at the level of elongation in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:2274-83 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest that LBP-1 may provide a natural mechanism for restricting the elongation of HIV-1 transcripts and that this may be a target for the action of Tat in enhancing transcription. ..
- Choi B, Bando M, Hasegawa S, Horikoshi M. Isolation and characterization of a cDNA encoding a novel human transcription factor TFIID subunit containing similarities with histones H2B and H3. Gene. 1996;169:263-7 pubmed..Additionally, the C-terminal region was found to contain similarities with histones H2B and H3. Northern blot analysis showed mRNA corresponding to hp22 to be expressed in all tissues examined. ..
- Bando M, Ijuin S, Hasegawa S, Horikoshi M. The involvement of the histone fold motifs in the mutual interaction between human TAF(II)80 and TAF(II)22. J Biochem. 1997;121:591-7 pubmed..Together with earlier biochemical or structural studies, the present results suggest the presence of a histone octamer-like partial TAF complex and its involvement in transcription from chromatin templates. ..
- Teramachi J, Hiruma Y, Ishizuka S, Ishizuka H, Brown J, Michou L, et al. Role of ATF7-TAF12 interactions in the vitamin D response hypersensitivity of osteoclast precursors in Paget's disease. J Bone Miner Res. 2013;28:1489-500 pubmed publisher..The increased 1,25-(OH)?D? sensitivity is mediated by transcription initiation factor TFIID subunit 12 (TAF12), a coactivator of the vitamin D receptor (VDR), which is present at much higher ..
- Dantonel J, Murthy K, Manley J, Tora L. Transcription factor TFIID recruits factor CPSF for formation of 3' end of mRNA. Nature. 1997;389:399-402 pubmed..Our observations have thus revealed a link between transcription initiation and elongation by RNA polymerase II and processing of the 3' end of mRNA. ..
- Liu X, Vorontchikhina M, Wang Y, Faiola F, Martinez E. STAGA recruits Mediator to the MYC oncoprotein to stimulate transcription and cell proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:108-21 pubmed..These results suggest a novel STAF65gamma-dependent function of STAGA-type complexes in cell proliferation and transcription activation by MYC postloading of TFIID and RNA polymerase II that involves direct recruitment of core Mediator. ..
- Vermeulen M, Mulder K, Denissov S, Pijnappel W, van Schaik F, Varier R, et al. Selective anchoring of TFIID to nucleosomes by trimethylation of histone H3 lysine 4. Cell. 2007;131:58-69 pubmed..Our experiments reveal crosstalk between histone modifications and the transcription factor TFIID. This has important implications for regulation of RNA polymerase II-mediated transcription in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Denissov S, van Driel M, Voit R, Hekkelman M, Hulsen T, Hernandez N, et al. Identification of novel functional TBP-binding sites and general factor repertoires. EMBO J. 2007;26:944-54 pubmed..Integrated analysis of the ChIP-on-chip data and functional studies revealed that TAF12 hitherto regarded as RNA polymerase II (RNAP II)-specific was found to be also involved in RNAP I transcription...
- Helmlinger D, Hardy S, Abou Sleymane G, Eberlin A, Bowman A, Gansmuller A, et al. Glutamine-expanded ataxin-7 alters TFTC/STAGA recruitment and chromatin structure leading to photoreceptor dysfunction. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e67 pubmed..We show here that TFTC/STAGA complexes purified from SCA7 mice have normal TRRAP, GCN5, TAF12, and SPT3 levels and that their histone or nucleosomal acetylation activities are unaffected...
- Gangloff Y, Pointud J, Thuault S, Carre L, Romier C, Muratoglu S, et al. The TFIID components human TAF(II)140 and Drosophila BIP2 (TAF(II)155) are novel metazoan homologues of yeast TAF(II)47 containing a histone fold and a PHD finger. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5109-21 pubmed..These conserved domains are critical for yTAF(II)65 function in vivo. Our results therefore identify metazoan homologues of yTAF(II)47 and yTAF(II)65. ..
- Liu X, Tesfai J, Evrard Y, Dent S, Martinez E. c-Myc transformation domain recruits the human STAGA complex and requires TRRAP and GCN5 acetylase activity for transcription activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20405-12 pubmed..Thus, TRRAP might function as an adaptor within the STAGA complex, which helps recruit GCN5 HAT activity to Myc during transcription activation. ..
- Cavusoglu N, Brand M, Tora L, Van Dorsselaer A. Novel subunits of the TATA binding protein free TAFII-containing transcription complex identified by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry following one-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Proteomics. 2003;3:217-23 pubmed..These results together show the suitability and the great potential of this method and offer new perspectives in fundamental studies of transcription factor complexes. ..
- Shao H, Revach M, Moshonov S, Tzuman Y, Gazit K, Albeck S, et al. Core promoter binding by histone-like TAF complexes. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:206-19 pubmed..Here we examined the DNA binding activity of TAF9, TAF6, TAF4b, and TAF12, which are related to histones H3, H4, H2A, and H2B, respectively...
- Tong Y, Merino D, Nimmervoll B, Gupta K, Wang Y, Finkelstein D, et al. Cross-Species Genomics Identifies TAF12, NFYC, and RAD54L as Choroid Plexus Carcinoma Oncogenes. Cancer Cell. 2015;27:712-27 pubmed publisher..b>TAF12, NFYC, and RAD54L co-located on human chromosome 1p32-35...
- Wang Z, Morris G, Rice A, Xiong W, Morris C. Wild-type and transactivation-defective mutants of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat protein bind human TATA-binding protein in vitro. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1996;12:128-38 pubmed..These data indicate that an activity mapped within the activation domain of Tat, which is distinct from Tat-TBP binding. is required for transactivation by Tat. ..
- Werten S, Mitschler A, Romier C, Gangloff Y, Thuault S, Davidson I, et al. Crystal structure of a subcomplex of human transcription factor TFIID formed by TATA binding protein-associated factors hTAF4 (hTAF(II)135) and hTAF12 (hTAF(II)20). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45502-9 pubmed..connecting loop between its second and third helix, and this helix is not required for stable interaction with TAF12, or that TAF4 represents a novel class of partial histone fold motifs...
- Hisatake K, Ohta T, Takada R, Guermah M, Horikoshi M, Nakatani Y, et al. Evolutionary conservation of human TATA-binding-polypeptide-associated factors TAFII31 and TAFII80 and interactions of TAFII80 with other TAFs and with general transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8195-9 pubmed..Coimmunoprecipitation assays showed that TAFII80 interacted with TAFII250, TAFII31, TAFII20, and TBP, but not with TAFII55...
- Zhou Q, Sharp P. Novel mechanism and factor for regulation by HIV-1 Tat. EMBO J. 1995;14:321-8 pubmed..Thus, Tat acts through a novel mechanism, which is mediated by a specific host cellular factor, to stimulate HIV-1 gene expression. ..
- Gupta K, Watson A, Baptista T, Scheer E, Chambers A, Koehler C, et al. Architecture of TAF11/TAF13/TBP complex suggests novel regulation properties of general transcription factor TFIID. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our results thus have implications for cellular TFIID assembly and suggest a novel regulatory state for TFIID function. ..
- Mengus G, May M, Jacq X, Staub A, Tora L, Chambon P, et al. Cloning and characterization of hTAFII18, hTAFII20 and hTAFII28: three subunits of the human transcription factor TFIID. EMBO J. 1995;14:1520-31 pubmed..These results reveal differences not only in subunit composition, but also in the organization of dTFIID and hTFIID complexes. ..