Genomes and Genes
stearoyl CoA desaturase
Gene Symbol: stearoyl CoA desaturase
Description: stearoyl-CoA desaturase
Alias: FADS5, MSTP008, SCD1, SCDOS, hSCD1, acyl-CoA desaturase, delta(9)-desaturase, fatty acid desaturase, stearoyl-CoA desaturase (delta-9-desaturase), stearoyl-CoA desaturase opposite strand
Publications341 found, 100 shown here
- Relationship between stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and plasma triglycerides in human and mouse hypertriglyceridemiaAlan D Attie
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
J Lipid Res 43:1899-907. 2002..Mice with a targeted disruption of the SCD1 gene have very low levels of VLDL and impaired triglyceride and cholesterol ester biosynthesis...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 and the metabolic syndromePaul Cohen
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord 3:271-80. 2003..These findings indicate that pharmacologic manipulation of SCD-1 may be of benefit in the treatment of obesity, diabetes, hepatic steatosis, and other components of the Metabolic Syndrome...
- Inhibition of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 expression induces CHOP-dependent cell death in human cancer cellsMélaine Minville-Walz
Universite de Bourgogne, Centre de Recherche INSERM Lipides, Nutrition, Cancer UMR866, Dijon, France
PLoS ONE 5:e14363. 2010..This change in fatty acid metabolism is associated with overexpression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (Scd1), which catalyses the transformation of saturated fatty acids into monounsaturated fatty acids (e.g., oleic acid)...
- Human breast cancer tissues contain abundant phosphatidylcholine(36∶1) with high stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 expressionYoshimi Ide
Department of Surgery I, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e61204. 2013..The protein expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1), which is a synthetic enzyme of MUFA, showed accumulation in the cancerous areas as observed by the results of ..
- Role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 in skin integrity and whole body energy balanceHarini Sampath
From the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 and
J Biol Chem 289:2482-8. 2014..Mice with a deletion of the Δ(9)-desaturase-1 isoform (SCD1) either globally (Scd1(-/-)) or specifically in the skin (skin-specific Scd1-knockout; SKO) present with marked ..
- Individual stearoyl-coa desaturase 1 expression modulates endoplasmic reticulum stress and inflammation in human myotubes and is associated with skeletal muscle lipid storage and insulin sensitivity in vivoAndreas Peter
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Vascular Medicine, Nephrology, and Clinical Chemistry, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Diabetes 58:1757-65. 2009..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) plays a key role in preventing lipotoxic effects, as it converts SFAs to less harmful monounsaturated fatty acids...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 is associated with insulin resistance in morbidly obese subjectsSara García-Serrano
CIBER Diabetes and Associated Metabolic Disorders, ISCIII, Spain
Mol Med 17:273-80. 2011Animal studies have revealed the association between stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) and obesity and insulin resistance. However, only a few studies have been undertaken in humans...
- Stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 1 gene expression increases after pioglitazone treatment and is associated with peroxisomal proliferator-activated receptor-gamma responsivenessAiwei Yao-Borengasser
Research, 598 151, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Department of Medicine, 4300 West 7th Street, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:4431-9. 2008Stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase (SCD1) is the rate-limiting enzyme that converts palmitoyl- and stearoyl-coenzyme A to palmitoleoyl- and oleoyl-cownzyme A, respectively...
- Partial characterization of a cDNA for human stearoyl-CoA desaturase and changes in its mRNA expression in some normal and malignant tissuesJ Li
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Institute of Animal Physiology, Babraham, Cambridge, UK
Int J Cancer 57:348-52. 1994..It is suggested that certain classes of tumour may exhibit increased levels of desaturase mRNA...
- Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase expression is a frequent event in prostate carcinomaStacy Moore
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Int J Cancer 114:563-71. 2005..These results indicate that loss of SCD expression is a frequent event in prostate adenocarcinoma, and further supports a role for altered lipid metabolism as a factor in the process of carcinogenesis...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase is involved in the control of proliferation, anchorage-independent growth, and survival in human transformed cellsNatalia Scaglia
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas de La Plata, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
J Biol Chem 280:25339-49. 2005....
- Characterization of HSCD5, a novel human stearoyl-CoA desaturase unique to primatesJian Wang
Cardiovascular Division, Lilly Research Labs, Eli Lilly and Company, DC 0343, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:735-42. 2005..Microsome fractions prepared from hSCD1 and hSCD5 transfected cells displayed similar delta 9 desaturase activity...
- Polymorphisms in the SCD1 gene: associations with body fat distribution and insulin sensitivityEva Warensjo
Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala Science Park, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1732-40. 2007..The lipogenic enzyme, stearoyl-coenzyme A-desaturase (SCD), is related to obesity. Further, SCD1-deficent mice are protected against obesity and insulin resistance...
- Low hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 activity is associated with fatty liver and insulin resistance in obese humansN Stefan
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Vascular Medicine, Nephrology and Clinical Chemistry, University of Tubingen, Otfried Muller Str 10, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Diabetologia 51:648-56. 2008Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) is the rate-limiting enzyme in monounsaturated fatty acid synthesis. It is imperative for the assembly of VLDL particles, which transport triacylglycerol (TG) from liver to adipose tissue and other sites...
- Association of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 activity with familial combined hyperlipidemiaRebecca Mar-Heyming
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1193-9. 2008Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) is the rate-limiting enzyme involved in the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids, and in mice SCD1 activity is associated with plasma triglyceride levels...
- Inhibition of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 expression in human lung adenocarcinoma cells impairs tumorigenesisNatalia Scaglia
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquímicas de La Plata INIBIOLP, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Int J Oncol 33:839-50. 2008..of tissue MUFA and several types of cancer has been reported, but a causal relationship between the function of SCD1, the main human SCD isoform, and cancer development has not yet been firmly established...
- Hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD)-1 activity and diacylglycerol but not ceramide concentrations are increased in the nonalcoholic human fatty liverAnna Kotronen
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes 58:203-8. 2009To determine whether 1) hepatic ceramide and diacylglycerol concentrations, 2) SCD1 activity, and 3) hepatic lipogenic index are increased in the human nonalcoholic fatty liver.
- The association of desaturase 9 and plasma fatty acid composition with insulin resistance-associated factors in female adolescentsYuan E Zhou
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Metabolism 58:158-66. 2009....
- Inhibition of stearoylCoA desaturase-1 inactivates acetyl-CoA carboxylase and impairs proliferation in cancer cells: role of AMPKNatalia Scaglia
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Rutgers Center for Lipid Research, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6812. 2009..We have previously shown that a stable knockdown of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1), the main Delta9-desaturase that converts SFA into MUFA, in cancer cells decreases the rate of lipogenesis, ..
- Hormonal and nutritional regulation of SCD1 gene expressionDaniel Mauvoisin
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre de recherche BioMed, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochimie 93:78-86. 2011Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 (SCD1) is the rate limiting enzyme catalyzing the biosynthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids preferentially from palmitoyl-CoA and stearoyl-CoA forming respectively palmitoleyl-CoA and oleyl-CoA...
- Genetic variation in stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 is associated with metabolic syndrome prevalence in Costa Rican adultsJian Gong
Department of Community Health, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Nutr 141:2211-8. 2011Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) activity, a key regulator of lipid metabolism, may be associated with the development of metabolic syndrome (MetS)...
- SCD1 inhibition causes cancer cell death by depleting mono-unsaturated fatty acidsPaul Mason
Genzyme Corporation, Waltham, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33823. 2012..Using RNAi we have demonstrated that depletion of fatty-acid synthesis pathway enzymes SCD1, FASN, or ACC1 in HCT116 colon cancer cells results in cytotoxicity that is reversible by addition of exogenous ..
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 is a novel molecular therapeutic target for clear cell renal cell carcinomaChristina A von Roemeling
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Clin Cancer Res 19:2368-80. 2013We set out to identify Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) as a novel molecular target in clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) and examine its role in tumor cell growth and viability in vitro and in vivo independently as well as in ..
- Analysis of the contribution to type 2 diabetes susceptibility of sequence variation in the gene encoding stearoyl-CoA desaturase, a key regulator of lipid and carbohydrate metabolismC F Liew
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Old Road, Oxford, OX3 7LJ, UK
Diabetologia 47:2168-75. 2004..Given this strong positional and biological candidacy, the present study sought to establish whether sequence variation in SCD influences susceptibility to type 2 diabetes and related traits...
- Relationships between hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 activity and mRNA expression with liver fat content in humansAndreas Peter
Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Tubingen, German Center for Diabetes Research, Germany
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300:E321-6. 2011Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) has gained much interest as a future drug target to treat fatty liver and its consequences. However, there are few and inconsistent human data about expression and activity of this important enzyme...
- FGFR3 stimulates stearoyl CoA desaturase 1 activity to promote bladder tumor growthXiangnan Du
Molecular Oncology, Cancer Signaling and Translational Oncology, Bioinformatics, and Pathology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Cancer Res 72:5843-55. 2012..In turn, SREBP1 regulates the expression of key lipogenic enzymes, including stearoyl CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1/SCD)...
- Human stearoyl-CoA desaturase: alternative transcripts generated from a single gene by usage of tandem polyadenylation sitesL Zhang
Skin Biology T R C, Johnson and Johnson, C P W W, Skillman, NJ 08558, USA
Biochem J 340:255-64. 1999....
- High stearoyl-CoA desaturase protein and activity levels in simian virus 40 transformed-human lung fibroblastsNatalia Scaglia
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquímicas de La Plata INIBIOLP, CONICET UNLP, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, calles 60 y 120, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Biochim Biophys Acta 1687:141-51. 2005..The strong correlation of high levels of MUFA and neoplastic phenotype suggest that the regulation of stearoyl CoA desaturase (SCD) must play a significant role in cancer development...
- Elevated stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 expression in skeletal muscle contributes to abnormal fatty acid partitioning in obese humansMatthew W Hulver
Pennington Biomedical Research, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
Cell Metab 2:251-61. 2005..Herein, we show that the lipogenic gene, stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1), is robustly up-regulated in skeletal muscle from extremely obese humans...
- The aging human orbitofrontal cortex: decreasing polyunsaturated fatty acid composition and associated increases in lipogenic gene expression and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activityRobert K McNamara
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78:293-304. 2008..The implications of age-related reductions in OFC PUFA composition for affective dysregulation in the elderly are discussed...
- Decreasing stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 expression inhibits β-catenin signaling in breast cancer cellsDaniel Mauvoisin
BIOMED, Department of Biological Science, University of Quebec, Montreal, Canada
Cancer Sci 104:36-42. 2013Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) is an endoplasmic reticulum anchored enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids, mainly palmytoleyl-CoA and oleyl-CoA...
- High stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 expression is associated with shorter survival in breast cancer patientsAshley M Holder
Department of Surgical Oncology, Unit 1484, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1400 Pressler Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 137:319-27. 2013Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) is an essential regulator of fatty acid synthesis. We have previously shown that overexpression of SCD1 increases the growth of breast cancer cell lines...
- Positive feedback loop and synergistic effects between hypoxia-inducible factor-2α and stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 promote tumorigenesis in clear cell renal cell carcinomaYujian Zhang
Department of Urology, Renji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Cancer Sci 104:416-22. 2013..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) is the main isoform of SCDs, the rate-limiting enzymes in the biosynthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids from ..
- Triglyceride levels are ethnic-specifically associated with an index of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and n-3 PUFA levels in AsiansKuninori Shiwaku
Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo, Japan
J Lipid Res 45:914-22. 2004..HTG is ethnicity-specifically associated with an increase in the 18:1/18:0 ratio and a decrease in n-3 PUFA in plasma for Japanese, Koreans, and Mongolians...
- Prenatal and postnatal transfer of fatty acids from mother to pup in the hooded sealS J Iverson
Canadian Institute of Fisheries Technology, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax
J Comp Physiol B 165:1-12. 1995..Ingested fatty acids were deposited directly and without modification into the blubber of pups, and by 4 days the fatty acid composition of pup blubber was virtually identical to that of the milk consumed...
- Fatty acid-responsive control of mRNA stability. Unsaturated fatty acid-induced degradation of the Saccharomyces OLE1 transcriptC I Gonzalez
Department of Biological Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 271:25801-9. 1996The Saccharomyces cerevisiae OLE1 gene encodes the Delta-9 fatty acid desaturase, a highly regulated integral membrane enzyme involved in the formation of unsaturated fatty acids from saturated acyl-coenzyme A precursors...
- The biosynthesis of hepatic cholesterol esters and triglycerides is impaired in mice with a disruption of the gene for stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1M Miyazaki
Departments of Biochemistry and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 275:30132-8. 2000..Two well characterized isoforms of SCD, SCD1 and SCD2, exist in the mouse...
- The regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene expression is tissue specific in chickensSami Dridi
Laboratory of Physiology, Immunology, and Genetics of Domestic Animals, Catholic University of Leuven, KU Leuven, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
J Endocrinol 192:229-36. 2007..05). In conclusion, SCD is ubiquitously expressed in chickens and it is regulated by leptin, cerulenin, nutritional state, and gender in a tissue-specific manner...
- Dietary cholesterol opposes PUFA-mediated repression of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 gene by SREBP-1 independent mechanismHyoun ju Kim
Departments of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 53706, USA
J Lipid Res 43:1750-7. 2002..The mouse expresses three well-characterized SCD genes (SCD1, 2, and 3). SCD1 is the main isoform expressed in the liver of mice...
- A plasminogen-like protein selectively degrades stearoyl-CoA desaturase in liver microsomesF Scott Heinemann
Department of Pathology, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, California 92663, USA
J Biol Chem 278:42966-75. 2003..These findings indicate that SCD is degraded by a protease related to Pg and suggest that plasmin moonlights as an intracellular protease...
- Differentiation-induced gene expression in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Characterization of a differentially expressed gene encoding stearoyl-CoA desaturaseJ M Ntambi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
J Biol Chem 263:17291-300. 1988....
- A mathematical model for mammary fatty acid synthesis and triglyceride assembly: the role of stearoyl CoA desaturase (SCD)Paul R Shorten
Mathematical Biology Group, AgResearch, Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Dairy Res 71:385-97. 2004....
- Effects of feeding rapeseed oil, soybean oil, or linseed oil on stearoyl-CoA desaturase expression in the mammary gland of dairy cowsA A A Jacobs
Animal Nutrition Group, Wageningen University, PO Box 338, 6700 AH Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Dairy Sci 94:874-87. 2011..was to compare the effects of various fatty acids (FA) typically present in dairy cow rations on the expression of SCD1 and SCD5 in the mammary gland of dairy cows...
- Expression and regulation of delta5-desaturase, delta6-desaturase, stearoyl-coenzyme A (CoA) desaturase 1, and stearoyl-CoA desaturase 2 in rat testisThomas Saether
Andrology Laboratory, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Biol Reprod 69:117-24. 2003..The focus of this study was to characterize the expression and regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1), stearoyl-CoA desaturase 2 (SCD2), and Delta5- and Delta6-desaturase in rat testis...
- Variation of Delta 9-desaturase activity in dairy cattleH Soyeurt
Gembloux Agricultural University, Animal Science Unit, B 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
J Dairy Sci 91:3211-24. 2008..The positive genetic correlations observed between %MONO and the ratios of C14:1 cis-9 to C14:0 (0.72), C16:1 cis-9 to C16:0 (0.62), and C18:1 cis to C18:0 (0.97) showed that %MONO is linked to the Delta(9)-desaturase activity...
- Peroxisome proliferators induce mouse liver stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene expressionC W Miller
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:9443-8. 1996..1983) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 752, 259-264]. We analyzed the changes in stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) mRNA to further define the molecular mechanism for the induction of stearoyl-CoA desaturase by peroxisome ..
- Targeted disruption of stearoyl-CoA desaturase1 gene in mice causes atrophy of sebaceous and meibomian glands and depletion of wax esters in the eyelidM Miyazaki
Departments of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 53706, USA
J Nutr 131:2260-8. 2001..Three well-characterized isoforms of SCD, SCD1, SCD2 and SCD3, exist in mice...
- Glycosphingolipid fatty acid arrangement in phospholipid bilayers: cholesterol effectsM R Morrow
Department of Physics, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
Biophys J 68:179-86. 1995....
- Key role of the ERK1/2 MAPK pathway in the transcriptional regulation of the Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase (SCD1) gene expression in response to leptinDaniel Mauvoisin
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre de recherche BioMed, Universite du Quebec, Montreal, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 319:116-28. 2010Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase-1 (SCD1) is the rate limiting enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids...
- Lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene expression and enzyme activity in adipose tissue of short- and long-fed Angus and Wagyu steers fed corn- or hay-based dietsK Y Chung
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Anim Sci 85:380-7. 2007....
- beta-Adrenergic control of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 repression in relation to sympathoadrenal regulation of thermogenesisD Mainieri
Department of Medicine Physiology, University of Fribourg, Fribourg, Switzerland
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:378-81. 2007..show diminished thermogenesis and high susceptibility to obesity, whereas mice lacking stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1), which catalyzes the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids, show enhanced thermogenesis and high resistance to ..
- Role of the PI3-kinase/mTor pathway in the regulation of the stearoyl CoA desaturase (SCD1) gene expression by insulin in liverDaniel Mauvoisin
Departement des Sciences Biologiques, Centre de recherche BioMed, Universite du Quebec, C P 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Canada, H3C 3P8
J Cell Commun Signal 1:113-25. 2007The stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) catalyzes the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids. This enzyme is a critical control point regulating hepatic lipogenesis and lipid oxidation...
- Effect of level and duration of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on the transcriptional regulation of Delta9-desaturase in muscle of beef cattleS M Waters
Teagasc, Animal Bioscience Centre, Grange, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
J Anim Sci 87:244-52. 2009....
- Transport proteins and acute phase reactant proteins in children with sickle cell anemiaR P Warrier
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans 70112
J Natl Med Assoc 86:33-9. 1994..The implication of primary protein-energy malnutrition on growth retardation in SCD children is under study...
- Differentiation-induced gene expression in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. A second differentially expressed gene encoding stearoyl-CoA desaturaseK H Kaestner
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
J Biol Chem 264:14755-61. 1989..characterized a differentially expressed gene from mouse 3T3-L1 preadipocytes that encodes stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD1; Ntambi, J. M., Buhrow, S. A., Kaestner, K. H., Christy, R. J., Sibley, E., Kelly, T. J., Jr., and Lane, M. D...
- Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterolJ M Ntambi
Departments of Biochemistry and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Lipid Res 40:1549-58. 1999..Two mouse and rat SCD genes (SCD1 and SCD2) and a single human SCD gene have been cloned and characterized...
- Lack of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 upregulates basal thermogenesis but causes hypothermia in a cold environmentSeong Ho Lee
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Lipid Res 45:1674-82. 2004..Mice with a targeted disruption of the SCD1 isoform (SCD1-/-) exhibit reduced adiposity and increased energy expenditure...
- Down-regulation of hepatic stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 expression by angiotensin II receptor blocker in the obese fa/fa Zucker rat: possible role in amelioration of insulin resistance and hepatic steatosisJunji Yokozawa
Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Yamagata University, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
J Gastroenterol 44:583-91. 2009..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD-1), which catalyzes the cellular synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids, affects lipid metabolism. In this study, we investigated whether SCD-1 gene expression is affected by ARB treatment...
- Diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1, stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1, and sterol regulatory element binding protein 1 gene polymorphisms and milk fatty acid composition in Italian Brown cattleG Conte
Dipartimento di Agronomia e Gestione dell Agroecosistema, University of Pisa, 56124, Italy
J Dairy Sci 93:753-63. 2010Several lipogenic genes have been shown to have effects on lipid metabolism: stearoyl CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) catalyzes the desaturation of several fatty acids (FA) in the cis-Delta(9) position in mammary glands of ruminant animals, ..
- Effects of bovine fatty acid synthase, stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase, sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1, and growth hormone gene polymorphisms on fatty acid composition and carcass traits in Japanese Black cattleT Matsuhashi
Gifu Prefectural Livestock Research Institute, Kiyomi, Takayama, Gifu 506 0101, Japan
J Anim Sci 89:12-22. 2011..These results suggest that SNP in the FASN and SCD genes are useful markers for the improvement of fatty acid composition in commercial Japanese Black cattle...
- Corn oil supplementation to steers grazing endophyte-free tall fescue. II. Effects on longissimus muscle and subcutaneous adipose fatty acid composition and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and expressionE Pavan
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Anim Sci 85:1731-40. 2007..supplemental corn oil level to steers grazing endophyte-free tall fescue on fatty acid composition of LM, stearoyl CoA desaturase (SCD) activity and expression as well as cellularity in s.c. adipose...
- Hepatic knockdown of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 via RNA interference in obese mice decreases lipid content and changes fatty acid compositionHaiyan Xu
Metabolic Disease Research, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
Front Biosci 12:3781-94. 2007..Among the four mouse SCD isoforms, SCD1 is predominantly expressed in liver and adipose tissue...
- A lipogenic diet in mice with a disruption of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene reveals a stringent requirement of endogenous monounsaturated fatty acids for triglyceride synthesisM Miyazaki
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Lipid Res 42:1018-24. 2001..The lipogenic diet fed to mice with a null mutation in the SCD1 gene (SCD-/-) fails to induce the synthesis of triglycerides in liver, despite the induction of expression of SREBP-..
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene expression is necessary for fructose-mediated induction of lipogenic gene expression by sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c-dependent and -independent mechanismsMakoto Miyazaki
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 279:25164-71. 2004..Mice with a targeted disruption of the SCD1 gene are deficient in tissue oleate and have reduced expression of the sterol regulatory element-binding protein (..
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity is elevated by the suppression of its degradation by clofibric acid in the liver of ratsTomoaki Toyama
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Keyakidai, Sakado, Saitama, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 103:383-90. 2007..treatment with clofibric acid and the feeding of the fat-free diet caused an increase in the steady-state level of SCD1 mRNA and enhanced transcriptional rate...
- Regulation of gene expression by insulin and tumor necrosis factor alpha in 3T3-L1 cells. Modulation of the transcription of genes encoding acyl-CoA synthetase and stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1F R Weiner
Department of Medicine, Atran Laboratories, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461
J Biol Chem 266:23525-8. 1991..cells, we have studied the regulation of the expression of genes encoding acyl-CoA synthetase (ACS), and stearoyl CoA desaturase-1 (SCD-1), two enzymes that play key roles in the metabolism of long chain fatty acids...
- Oleoyl-CoA is the major de novo product of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene isoform and substrate for the biosynthesis of the Harderian gland 1-alkyl-2,3-diacylglycerolM Miyazaki
Department of Biochemistry and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 276:39455-61. 2001..We found that the HG of the mice with a disruption in the gene for stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) (SCD1-/-) is deficient in ADG...
- Parallel activation of de novo lipogenesis and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity after 3 d of high-carbohydrate feedingMary F F Chong
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:817-23. 2008..High-carbohydrate (HC) diets increase de novo lipogenesis (DNL), but effects on stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) are not so well studied...
- Acetyl-CoA carboxylase and stearoyl-CoA desaturase protein expression in subcutaneous adipose tissue is reduced in pigs selected for decreased backfat thickness at constant intramuscular fat contentA Canovas
IRTA, Genetica i Millora Animal, 191 Rovira Roure, 25198 Lleida, Spain
J Anim Sci 87:3905-14. 2009..48, P < 0.05). Intramuscular fat content did not correlate with ACC or Delta6d protein expression (P = 0.23 and P = 0.80, respectively). We conclude that SCD might be an effective potential biomarker for intramuscular fat deposition...
- Absence of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 does not promote DSS-induced acute colitisMarcia L E MacDonald
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, BC, Canada V5Z 4H4
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:1166-72. 2009Absence of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) in mice leads to chronic inflammation of the skin and increased susceptibility to atherosclerosis, while also increasing plasma inflammatory markers...
- Oleic acid biosynthesis in Plasmodium falciparum: characterization of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase and investigation as a potential therapeutic targetPaul Gratraud
Laboratoire de Dynamique des Interactions Membranaires Normales et Pathologiques, Universités de Montpellier II et I, CNRS, UMR 5235, Case 107, Montpellier, France
PLoS ONE 4:e6889. 2009..How parasites acquire this monounsaturated fatty acid has remained enigmatic. Here, we report on the biochemical and enzymatic characterization of stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) in P. falciparum...
- Associations between estimated fatty acid desaturase activities in serum lipids and adipose tissue in humans: links to obesity and insulin resistanceEva Warensjo
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Lipids Health Dis 8:37. 2009..D5D in PL was inversely related to obesity and insulin resistance, whereas D6D index showed positive associations...
- Cloning and expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD-1) in the liver of the Sichuan white goose and landes goose responding to overfeedingZhi Xiong Pan
Key Lab of Animal Genetic Resources, College of Animal Science and Technology, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an, Sichuan 625014, People s Republic of China
Mol Biol Rep 38:3417-25. 2011..In conclusion, SCD-1 is not only critical for hepatic steatosis in geese but is also important for the difference in lipid deposition in the livers of the two breeds...
- Lack of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 function induces a palmitoyl-CoA Delta6 desaturase and represses the stearoyl-CoA desaturase-3 gene in the preputial glands of the mouseMakoto Miyazaki
Departments of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Lipid Res 43:2146-54. 2002..We have found that the mouse PG expresses the three gene isoforms (SCD1, SCD2, and SCD3) of the Delta9 stearoyl-CoA desaturase enzyme that catalyzes the biosynthesis of monounsaturated ..
- Recent insights into stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1James M Ntambi
Departments of Biochemistry and Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 14:255-61. 2003..Why, then, is stearoyl-CoA desaturase a highly regulated enzyme? This review summarizes the recent and timely advances concerning the important role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase in metabolism...
- Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturases and role in metabolismJames M Ntambi
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Prog Lipid Res 43:91-104. 2004..Several SCD gene isoforms (SCD1, SCD2, SCD3) exist in the mouse and one SCD isoform that is highly homologous to the mouse SCD1 is well ..
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 deficiency increases fatty acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase in liverPawel Dobrzyn
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6409-14. 2004..Mice with a targeted disruption of the SCD1 isoform have reduced body adiposity, increased energy expenditure, and up-regulated expression of several genes ..
- Isolation and molecular characterization of the porcine stearoyl-CoA desaturase geneJun Ren
Institute of Veterinary Medicine, Georg August University of Gottingen, Groner Landstrasse 2, Gottingen 37073, Germany
Gene 340:19-30. 2004..Reverse transcription (RT)-PCR result indicates that the SCD gene is expressed ubiquitously in pigs...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase--a new player in skeletal muscle metabolism regulationA Dobrzyn
Department of Physiology, Medical University of Białystok, Białystok, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 57:31-42. 2006..b>SCD1 deficient mice reveal increased energy expenditure and decreased body adiposity due to the upregulation of genes of ..
- Laminar shear stress up-regulates the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 in vascular endothelial cellsXiaomei Qin
Institute of Cardiovascular Science and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Science, Ministry of Education, Peking University, Beijing, 100083, PR China
Cardiovasc Res 74:506-14. 2007..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1), which catalyzes the biosynthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids, affects the lipid composition and fluidity of ..
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 2 is required for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma expression and adipogenesis in cultured 3T3-L1 cellsJennifer L Christianson
Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 373 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Biol Chem 283:2906-16. 2008..of adipocyte-specific gene expression in fully differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes, including the expression of SCD1. Despite the high sequence similarity between SCD2 and SCD1, silencing of SCD1 did not down-regulate 3T3-L1 cell ..
- Loss of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 inhibits fatty acid oxidation and increases glucose utilization in the heartPawel Dobrzyn
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E357-64. 2008..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) is a lipogenic enzyme that catalyzes the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids (FA). SCD1 deficiency activates metabolic pathways that promote FA beta-oxidation and decrease lipogenesis in liver...
- A high activity index of stearoyl-CoA desaturase is associated with increased risk of fracture in menH Melhus
Department of Medical Sciences, University Hospital, Entrance 61, 4th Floor, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 19:929-34. 2008..This indicates that elevated levels of endogenous lipogenesis increase the risk of fracture and suggest a role for saturated fat in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis...
- Plasma palmitoleic acid, a product of stearoyl-coA desaturase activity, is an independent marker of triglyceridemia and abdominal adiposityFrançois Paillard
Cardiovascular Prevention Center, Departement de Cardiologie, CHU Pontchaillou, 2 rue Henri Le Guilloux, 35033 Rennes, France
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:436-40. 2008..The aim was to assess the relationship of plasma palmitoleic acid content, a product of SCD activity, with triglyceridemia and abdominal adiposity in humans...
- Development of a novel LC/MS method to quantitate cellular stearoyl-CoA desaturase activityRoslyn Dillon
Pfizer Global Research, La Jolla Laboratories, 10770 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, United States
Anal Chim Acta 627:99-104. 2008Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) is an enzyme that catalyzes the rate-limiting step in de novo synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids--mainly oleate and palmitoleate from stearoyl-CoA and palmitoyl-Co A, respectively...
- Biochemical and physiological function of stearoyl-CoA desaturaseChad M Paton
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Dr, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E28-37. 2009..In this article, we summarize the recent and timely advances concerning the important role of SCD in the biochemistry and physiology of lipid metabolism...
- Skin-specific deletion of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 alters skin lipid composition and protects mice from high fat diet-induced obesityHarini Sampath
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19961-73. 2009Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) catalyzes the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids and is an important regulator of whole body energy homeostasis...
- Detection of quantitative trait loci affecting the milk fatty acid profile on sheep chromosome 22: role of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene in Spanish Churra sheepM Garcia-Fernandez
Departamento de Produccion Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
J Dairy Sci 93:348-57. 2010..An independent confirmation of these primary results will be required before attempting its practical implementation in selection programs...
- Novel SNPs in the caprine stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) and decorin (DCN) genes that are associated with growth traits in Chinese goat breedsZhongqi Chen
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, Shaanxi Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology for Agriculture, No 22 Xinong Road, Yangling, 712100 Shaanxi, China
Mol Biol Rep 38:3121-7. 2011..05). These results indicated that genotype CC of SCD gene and genotype XX of DCN gene could be used for the breeding of new breeds of goat in China...
- Endurance training-induced accumulation of muscle triglycerides is coupled to upregulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1Pawel Dobrzyn
Laboratory of Cell Signaling and Metabolic Disorders, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, 3 Pasteur St, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1653-61. 2010..Herein, we demonstrate that endurance training significantly increases both SCD1 mRNA and protein levels in the soleus muscle, whereas it does not affect SCD1 expression in the EDL muscle and ..
- Critical role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) in the onset of diet-induced hepatic insulin resistanceRoger Gutierrez-Juarez
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 116:1686-95. 2006Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 (SCD1) catalyzes the synthesis of monounsaturated fatty acids from saturated fatty acids. Mice with a targeted disruption of Scd1 gene locus are lean and display increased insulin sensitivity...
- Nuclear factor 1 is essential for the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene during preadipocyte differentiationM V Singh
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1398:148-56. 1998b>Stearoyl CoA desaturase gene 1 (SCD1) is a delta 9 desaturase that is transcriptionally activated during the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes into adipocytes...
- Scd3--a novel gene of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase family with restricted expression in skinY Zheng
Johnson and Johnson Skin Biology TRC, Grandview Road, Skillman, New Jersey 08558, USA
Genomics 71:182-91. 2001..Previously, two members of this gene family, namely, Scd1 and Scd2, have been reported...
- Identification and characterization of hamster stearoyl-CoA desaturase isoformsJian Wang
Cardiovascular and Diabetes Drug Discovery, Lilly Research Labs, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Lipids 43:197-205. 2008..It plays a key role in lipid metabolism and energy expenditure in mammals. In mice, four SCD isoforms (SCD1-4) have been identified...
- Hearing loss in children with sickle cell diseaseA Koussi
1st Department of Pediatrics, Thalassaemia Unit, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55:235-9. 2001..No abnormalities were detected in the control group. These findings suggest a low incidence of SNHL in Greek SCD patients probably due to different hematological and clinical profile (S/beta(+)-Thal)...
- [Basic study of Beutin's washed sheep blood agar plate used for selective screening of verocytotoxin-producing/enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (VTEC/EHEC)]N Kimura
Ishikawa Health Service Association
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 73:318-27. 1999..Center) washed five times in phosphate-buffered saline, pH 7.2...
- Helicobacter pylori infection in sickle cell diseaseK F Woods
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 92:361-5. 2000..When confirmed, a definitive etiology of PUD must be determined so that appropriate treatment strategies can be initiated promptly and excess morbidity avoided...
- High pressure 2H-NMR study of the order and dynamics of selectively deuterated dipalmitoyl phosphatidylcholine in multilamellar aqueous dispersionsX Peng
Department of Chemistry, School of Chemical Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Biophys J 68:1137-44. 1995..In addition we found a straight line relationship for T-1 vs. S2D, and T-1 vs. S2CD for the deuterons in the 9 and 13 positions in the LC phase in the pressure range investigated...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha in children with sickle cell disease in stable conditionS Kuvibidila
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University, School of Medicine, New Orleans 70112, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 89:609-15. 1997..These results indicate that most children with SCD in stable condition have normal TNF-alpha concentrations and that those with high TNF-alpha levels are more likely to have growth deficits...
- Glycosphingolipid acyl chain orientational order in unsaturated phosphatidylcholine bilayersM R Morrow
Department of Physics, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
Biophys J 64:654-64. 1993....
- Application of capillary ion electrophoresis and ion chromatography for the determination of O-acetate groups in bacterial polysaccharidesR W Hepler
Department of Virus and Cell Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486
J Chromatogr A 680:201-8. 1994..5 mM tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide, and 2 mM sodium tetraborate, pH 5.88. A comparison of CIE and IC-SCD in terms of reproducibility, accuracy, linearity, and sensitivity will be presented...
- Primary Prevention of Strokes in Nigerian Children with Sickle Cell DiseaseLORI CHAFFIN JORDAN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Beta-Globin Gene Correction Using Peptide Nucleic Acids for the Treatment of SickGERALD FRANCIS VOVIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Helix Therapeutics is proposing to develop a therapeutic gene targeting agent to correct, in human hematopoietic stem cells, the mutation responsible for causing SCD and, thus, cure the disease permanently. ..
- Thomas W Glover; Fiscal Year: 2016..Moreover they will have important and immediate clinical significance to a large number of individuals with SCD and the future generations of HU-treated patients. ..
- Peter G Vekilov; Fiscal Year: 2016..We plan to disseminate our models, software tools, and experimental data including the general-purpose triple-decker algorithm, via web-based repositories, existing public open-ware sites, tutorials and through the MSM consortium. ..
- JOSHUA JEFFREY FIELD; Fiscal Year: 2016..If this study provides preliminary evidence that montelukast when combined with HU has efficacy for the treatment of vaso-occlusion, we will propose a larger multi-center phase III trial. ..
- Educational Attainment in Sickle Cell DiseaseAllison A King; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge and skills acquired from completing these studies will allow the applicant to develop evidence based strategies to improve educational attainment in students with SCD. ..
- SOPHIE M LANZKRON; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Enrico M Novelli; Fiscal Year: 2016..Jeff Isenberg's lab). Definition of this pathway will therefore present a novel therapeutic target for the vascular complications of SCD. ..
- Protein biomarkers of pulmonary hypertension in sickle cell diseaseMark E McComb; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mitchell S Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2015..abstract_text> ..
- Donna S Neuberg; Fiscal Year: 2016..We will study a drug called regadenoson in people with sickle cell disease to determine if it is an effective treatment for pain or acute chest syndrome episodes. ..
- Impact of Blood Viscosity on Oxygen Delivery in humans with Sickle Cell AnemiaTHOMAS DUANE COATES; Fiscal Year: 2011..Aim 3 will be done in collaboration with the randomized glutamine trial proposed in Project 2B (PI:Niihara). ..
- Asthma and Nocturnal Hypoxemia in Sickle Cell Anemia IIRobert Strunk; Fiscal Year: 2013..The overall goal of this applications is to identify the laboratory and clinical determinants of how lung disease progresses from normal in early childhood to asthma and later to a severe lung disease that requires oxygen ..
- JEAN LECLERC RAPHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Prevention of Stroke after STOP, A Retrospective Chart ReviewRobert J Adams; Fiscal Year: 2012..Overall the project provides substantial new information that will insure the major investment made in STOP and STOP II is used to best advantage in real world applications to prevent stroke in children with SCD. ..
- Role of SCD1 and Dietary Methionine Restriction on Energy HomeostasisERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2011..Stearoyl-CoA desaturase- 1 (SCD1) is increased in obesity and catalyzes the conversion of saturated fatty acids (16:0 and 18:0) to mono- unsaturated ..
- Role of stearoyl CoA desaturase-1 in TLR5 KO mice colitis and metabolic syndromeMatam Vijay Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall, our research proposal may help in designing oleate-rich dietary formulations and also clarify whether SCD-1 can be targeted to prevent colitis and metabolic diseases ! ..
- Mechanisms for differential effects of dietary fatty acids on metabolismCRAIG LAWRENCE KIEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..also thought to mediate the repressive effects of unsaturated FA on the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1), an enzyme that catalyzes endogenous synthesis of OA...
- Genetics of Obesity in Yup'ik EskimosBERT BRANDON BOYER; Fiscal Year: 2011..investigation: adiponectin (3q27), AMP kinase gamma 2 subunit and nuclear respiratory factor-1 (7q36), stearoyl CoA desaturase (10q23), sterol regulatory element binding protein (17p11), insulin sensitive glucose transporter (17p13),..
- A Heather Eliassen; Fiscal Year: 2015..k.a. stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1)), measured by the ratio of specific saturated to monounsaturated fatty acids, (saturation index (SI)n-7 and SIn-9)...
- Robert K McNamara; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturases by oleateDouglas Thewke; Fiscal Year: 2004..inhibits SCO activity in CHO fibroblasts, represses the mRNA levels and transcription of the two known SCD genes, SCD1 and SCD2...
- Remodeling of Lipid Metabolism by Dietary Methionine RestrictionERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2012..our second series of studies, we will place mice with an adipose tissue-specific deletion of the gene for stearoyl CoA desaturase 1 (SCD1) on MR to determine if an inhibition of the synthesis of fats reduces metabolism in adipose ..
- Inflammatory regulation of lipid accumulation in skeletal muscle with obesityMatthew W Hulver; Fiscal Year: 2012..The PI and colleagues recently demonstrated that SCD1 in skeletal muscle is a core mechanism contributing to reduced fatty acid (FA) oxidation and increased ..
- Role of Early B Cell Factor-1 (EBF-1) in Adipocyte BiologyMichael J Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effect of Pre and Postnatal Nutritional Programming on SCD1 Activity and ObesityJennifer K Yee; Fiscal Year: 2011..at Harbor-UCLA establishing her academic career studying the role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase enzyme-1 (SCD1) and fatty acid synthesis pathways in nutritional programming for obesity. As a fellow, Dr...
- Makoto Miyazaki; Fiscal Year: 2016..As shown in our preliminary results, increasing stearate by adding exogenous stearate or by inhibiting SCD1 and SCD2 augmented vascular calcification in vitro and in vivo...
- Inducible Tissue-Specific Transgene Expression in Large Animal Biomedical ModelsCharles R Long; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our project will develop the technology to reliably induce tissue-specific expression of genes so that disease states can be mimicked in non-rodent species. ..
- Charles R Long; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Formulation and Standardization of a Sickle Cell Disease Drug for Clinical TrialRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2010..Treatment options are few. There is a substantial unmet medical need for new safe and effective disease modifying drugs, like the one in this grant, to treat this disease. ..
- Harvey J Murff; Fiscal Year: 2014..that up to 28% of the additive variance in tissue levels of ARA is explained by variants in a single gene, fatty acid desaturase 1 (FADS1)...
- Bo Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2015..regulates essential genes mediating mitophagy (NIX) and de novo lipogenesis (SREBF1, ACLY, ACACB, FASN, SCD1)...
- Red Blood Cell Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Artery DiseaseLuc Djousse; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings of this study may provide important information that could shape dietary recommendations to prevent coronary events. ..
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal represents an essential first step in the design of a subsequent clinical trial to improve vascular function in SCD patients. ..
- JAMES T BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2016..LCPUFA biosynthesis is limited by desaturase activity encoded by the fatty acid desaturase gene cluster (FADS1-3, 11q12-13.1)...
- Enhanced iron removal with peptide linked chelators targeted to ferritinElizabeth C Theil; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Floyd H Chilton; Fiscal Year: 2014..of PUFA-based botanical dietary supplements is strongly associated with genetic polymorphisms in the fatty acid desaturase (FADS 1-3) cluster on chromosome 11 in a region known as 11q12-q13...
- IGF::OT::IGFVivian Leung; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, NINDS support is for the expansion of the case ascertainment to include cases of SUDEP in individuals under the age of 24 in up to 15 states. ..
- Prognostic Impact and Arrhythmic Potential of Peri-infarct Zone by Cardiac MRIRaymond Y Kwong; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Role of fatty acid metabolism for the prevention of sudden cardiac deathSTEPHANIE ELIZABETH CHIUVE; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal is relevant to the NHLBI's strategic plan which aims "to develop non-invasive techniques, such as biological markers, to clinically identify patients at high risk of SCD". ..
- Mechanisms of Endothelin 1-Induced Sickle Cell PathologyAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2011..We plan to characterize mechanisms of ET-1-stimulated sickle red cell dehydration as a means to develop ET-1 receptor antagonists as a novel therapy in the treatment of sickle cell disease. ..
- Kalyanam Shivkumar; Fiscal Year: 2016..Therefore, neuraxial modulation is an approach that has the potential to have a global impact given the prohibitive high cost and morbidity associated with implantable defibrillators which prevent their expanded use. ..
- STEPHANIE ELIZABETH CHIUVE; Fiscal Year: 2015..These aims correspond to one goal in the NHLBl's strategic plan to "develop means to predict and prevent sudden cardiac death". ..
- The Genetic Basis of Novel Loci Influencing Myocardial RepolarizationDavid J Milan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative effectiveness of ECG screening in children with Attention Deficit HypLaurel K Leslie; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this application, we propose to apply three up-to-date methodologies - evidence-based synthesis, decision analysis, and preference elicitation - to address this pressing clinical and public policy issue. ..
- Reactivation of Fetal Gamma-globin Genes for the Treatment of Beta-globin DisordeOsamu Tanabe; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Transactivation of Fetal HemoglobinKenneth R Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Elucidation of Antisickling Molecules in a Botanical with Antisickling ActivityRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2013..The active fractions will be further fractionated, the compounds in the sub-fractions identified using mass spectroscopy and NMR, and in vivo activity confirmed in 100% human Hb S transgenic mice. ..
- First Clinical Trial of an Anti-Sickling Botanical Drug for Sickle Cell DiseRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Luanne L Peters; Fiscal Year: 2016..WT erythroid cells will converge to identify novel regulators of [unreadable]- like globin switching, thereby providing important new therapeutic targets for the hemoglobinopathies. ! ..
- Wally R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Inactivation of LSD1 as a possible treatment for sickle cell diseaseJames Douglas Engel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Should these preliminary tests be fruitful, we will in the future then initiate clinical trials in ealthy and sickle cell patients. ..
- Sickle Cell Disease: First steps toward understanding barriers to care for adultsSOPHIE M LANZKRON; Fiscal Year: 2012..She has selected mentors in behavioral research, epidemiology and sickle cell that provide the necessary supervision to make her a successful independent investigator. ..
- CTRIP: Treatment of Sickle Cell Crisis with inhibitors of NKT cell activationDAVID G contact NATHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..It causes short life span, pain and multi-organ failure. We have discovered a new anti-inflammatory approach to effectively treat SCD in mice and we plan to evaluate this new therapy in patients with SCD. ..
- NCMHD Southeastern Exploratory Sickle Cell Center of ExcellenceAbdullah Kutlar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Relieving the health disparity of SCD patients is the primary goal of this application. ..
- Michael R Debaun; Fiscal Year: 2014..In doing so, this study could also reduce the burden of chronic transfusions and change clinical practice by broadening the indications for HU. ..
- COMPREHENSIVE SICKLE CELL CENTERKwaku Ohene Frempong; Fiscal Year: 2010..We plan to continue our commitment to extend benefits of research to less developed areas of the sickle cell world. ..
- Arlene M Smaldone; Fiscal Year: 2014..This research may also inform interventions for other pediatric chronic illnesses in underserved communities. ..
- BABY HUG FOLLOW-UP STUDY II )Bruce Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2012..In collaboration with the NICHD under the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act (BPCA) NHLBI, as the IND sponsor, will submit clinical data to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to seek pediatric use labeling for HU. ..
- BASE FUNDING NHLBI (1/10/2012 - 12/31/2016) BABY HUG FOLLOW-UP STUDY II - CLINOfelia Alvarez; Fiscal Year: 2012..In collaboration with the NICHD under the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act (BPCA) NHLBI, as the IND sponsor, will submit clinical data to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to seek pediatric use labeling for HU. ..
- BABY HUG FOLLOW-UP STUDY II: SUNY CLINICAL SITEScott Miller; Fiscal Year: 2012..In collaboration with the NICHD under the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act (BPCA) NHLBI, as the IND sponsor, will submit clinical data to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to seek pediatric use labeling for HU. ..
- Lai Hua Xie; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Reducing the Toxicity of BMT in Sickle Cell AnemiaRobert Iannone; Fiscal Year: 2004..As part of my training, I will obtain a Master's Degree in Clinical Research through the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. ..
- Role of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase in MetabolismJames M Ntambi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Studies in the previous grant application demonstrated that mice with a targeted disruption of SCD1 isoform (SCD1-/-) have reduced lipogenic gene expression, increased fatty acid oxidation and enhanced insulin ..
- Targeted cell therapy for the treatment of ventricular tachycardiaKENNETH LAURITA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Consequently, SCD remains a major unresolved public health problem. This proposal puts forth a novel method using targeted cellular therapy to restore normal function and, thus, cure many patients at risk for SCD. 1 ..
- HDL Dysfunction and Vascular InflammationKirkwood A Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Through these studies, new treatment modalities may be realized for preventing vascular dysfunction in a variety of diseases characterized by increases in oxidative stress and inflammation. ..
- Modulation of Iron Deposition in SCD and Other HemoglobinopathiesELLIOTT P contact VICHINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Identifying Strategies to Increase Engagement in Clinical Trials in Pediatric SCDLamia P Barakat; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PSYCHOSOCIAL FACTORS IN SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATHSue Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2002..The combination of data from PFOS and SCD-HeFT will provide a holistic assessment of HF patients. ..
- Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial 10 year Follow-up (SCD-HeFT 10 yr.)Gust H Bardy; Fiscal Year: 2010....