Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SRD5A1
Description: steroid 5 alpha-reductase 1
Alias: S5AR 1, 3-oxo-5-alpha-steroid 4-dehydrogenase 1, SR type 1, steroid 5-alpha-reductase type I, steroid-5-alpha-reductase, alpha polypeptide 1 (3-oxo-5 alpha-steroid delta 4-dehydrogenase alpha 1)
Publications124 found, 100 shown here
- Wan L, Tan H, Thomas Ahner J, Pearl D, Erdman J, Moran N, et al. Dietary tomato and lycopene impact androgen signaling- and carcinogenesis-related gene expression during early TRAMP prostate carcinogenesis. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014;7:1228-39 pubmed publisher..Expression of genes involved in androgen metabolism/signaling pathways is reduced by lycopene feeding (Srd5a1) and by tomato feeding (Srd5a2, Pxn, and Srebf1)...
- Aggarwal S, Singh M, Kumar A, Mukhopadhyay T. SRD5A2 gene expression inhibits cell migration and invasion in prostate cancer cell line via F-actin reorganization. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015;408:15-23 pubmed publisher..Further, the reduced level of p38 protein was correlated with low expression of MMP-2 and MMP-7 genes. The results suggest that SRD5A2 controls cell migration by indirectly regulating ERK/MAPK pathway. ..
- Lavan A, Gallagher P, Parsons C, O Mahony D. STOPPFrail (Screening Tool of Older Persons Prescriptions in Frail adults with limited life expectancy): consensus validation. Age Ageing. 2017;46:600-607 pubmed publisher..STOPPFrail comprises 27 criteria relating to medications that are potentially inappropriate in frail older patients with limited life expectancy. STOPPFrail may assist physicians in deprescribing medications in these patients. ..
- Atta I, Ibrahim M, Parkash A, Lone S, Khan Y, Raza J. Etiological diagnosis of undervirilized male/XY disorder of sex development. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2014;24:714-8 pubmed publisher..Clinical, chromosomal and hormonal assessment may help in making the presumptive etiological diagnosis. Further molecular genetics analysis are needed in differentiating these abnormalities and to make a final diagnosis. ..
- Scaglione A, Montemiglio L, Parisi G, Asteriti I, Bruni R, Cerutti G, et al. Subcellular localization of the five members of the human steroid 5?-reductase family. Biochim Open. 2017;4:99-106 pubmed publisher..reaction is the conversion of testosterone into the more potent dihydrotestosterone carried out by SRD5A1-2. Some controversy exists on their possible nuclear or endoplasmic reticulum localization...
- Paśko P, Rodacki T, Domagała Rodacka R, Owczarek D. Interactions between medications employed in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia and food - A short review. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;83:1141-1145 pubmed publisher..As in general grapefruit juice and alcohol tend to significantly affect the efficacy and safety of the applied drug therapy, it is highly advisable to be knowledgeable on the subject in order to educate patients. ..
- Tilakaratne A, Soory M. Antioxidant response of osteoblasts to doxycycline in an inflammatory model induced by C-reactive protein and interleukin-6. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2014;14:14-22 pubmed..Using a novel metabolically active model allows closer extrapolation to in vivo conditions; in the context of adjunctive therapeutic applications for periodontitis and prevalent comorbidities. ..
- Thomson P, Langlois V. Developmental profiles of progesterone receptor transcripts and molecular responses to gestagen exposure during Silurana tropicalis early development. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2018;265:4-14 pubmed publisher..tropicalis. ..
- Sandher R, Aning J. Diagnosing and managing androgen deficiency in men. Practitioner. 2017;261:19-22 pubmed..Men should then be reviewed at least annually thereafter...
- Zhang J, Gill B, Wilkins L, Ramkumar R, Shoskes D. Systemic Comorbidity Burden Using the ACTIONS Phenotype Predicts Urologic Medication Discontinuation Following Transurethral Resection of the Prostate. Urology. 2019;127:91-96 pubmed publisher..The ACTIONS phenotype score is easily calculated and may aid the preoperative counseling of men undergoing TURP for BPH. ..
- Maliqueo M, Benrick A, Alvi A, Johansson J, Sun M, Labrie F, et al. Circulating gonadotropins and ovarian adiponectin system are modulated by acupuncture independently of sex steroid or Î²-adrenergic action in a female hyperandrogenic rat model of polycystic ovary syndrome. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;412:159-69 pubmed publisher..EA also increased cortical bone mineral density. Propranolol decreased ovarian expression of Foxo3, Srd5a1, and Hif1a...
- Dziendzikowska K, Krawczynska A, Oczkowski M, Królikowski T, Brzoska K, Lankoff A, et al. Progressive effects of silver nanoparticles on hormonal regulation of reproduction in male rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;313:35-46 pubmed publisher..and the steroids metabolism revealed significant down-regulation of Star, Cyp11a1, Hsd3b1, Hsd17b3 and Srd5a1 mRNAs in AgNPs/AgSPs-exposed animals...
- Oelke M, Martinelli E. [Pharmacological treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia]. Urologe A. 2016;55:81-94; quiz 95-6 pubmed publisher..Combination therapy with PDE5-I (tadalafil) plus 5ARI (finasteride) reduces LUTS more substantially than 5ARI alone and, additionally, PDE5-Is reduce the sexual side effects during 5ARI treatment. ..
- Descazeaud A, Robert G, de la Taille A. [How to evaluate BPH-related SBAUs in clinical practice and research?]. Prog Urol. 2018;28:830-838 pubmed publisher..LEVEL OF EVIDENCE 5: Consensus d'experts. ..
- Anastasiou I, Skoufias S, Katafigiotis I, Skarmoutsos I, Constantinides C. B-lymphocytic infiltration of the prostate to a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. A case report. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2017;89:83-84 pubmed publisher..The prognosis of these patients is related to the generalized disease rather than to the prostatic involvement. ..
- Bansal A, Arora A. Transurethral Resection of Prostate and Bleeding: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial to See the Efficacy of Short-Term Use of Finasteride and Dutasteride on Operative Blood Loss and Prostatic Microvessel Density. J Endourol. 2017;31:910-917 pubmed publisher
- Celec P, TretinÃ¡rovÃ¡ D, MinÃ¡rik G, Ficek A, Szemes T, LakatoÅ¡ovÃ¡ S, et al. Genetic polymorphisms related to testosterone metabolism in intellectually gifted boys. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54751 pubmed publisher..Increased androgen signaling might explain previous results of lower testosterone levels in intellectually gifted boys and add to the understanding of variability in cognitive abilities. ..
- Di Fiore M, Santillo A, Falvo S, Longobardi S, Chieffi Baccari G. Molecular Mechanisms Elicited by d-Aspartate in Leydig Cells and Spermatogonia. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..d-Asp modulates androgen and estrogen levels as well as the expression of their receptors in the rat epididymis by acting on mRNA levels of Srd5a1 and Cyp19a1 enzymes, hence suggesting involvement in spermatozoa maturation.
- De Luca S, Passera R, Cappia S, Bollito E, Randone D, Porpiglia F. Pathological patterns of prostate biopsy in men with fluctuations of prostate cancer gene 3 score: a preliminary report. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:2417-22 pubmed..The rate of PCa was higher in patients whose PCA3 score was up-graded, even if no robust cut-off for PCA3 score fluctuation was identified. ..
- Khorashad B, Roshan G, Reid A, Aghili Z, Moghadam M, Khazai B, et al. Childhood Sex-Typed Behavior and Gender Change in Individuals with 46,XY and 46,XX Disorders of Sex Development: An Iranian Multicenter Study. Arch Sex Behav. 2018;47:2287-2298 pubmed publisher..These findings support the role of androgens in the development of sex-typical childhood play behavior, with those being exposed to higher levels of fetal functional androgens expressing more masculine behavior at preschool ages. ..
- Hamilton Z, Parsons J. Prostate Cancer Prevention: Concepts and Clinical Trials. Curr Urol Rep. 2016;17:35 pubmed publisher..Ongoing and future trials may further elucidate the role of diet and immunotherapy for prevention of prostate cancer. ..
- Kasai F, Ferguson Smith M. A collection of XY female cell lines. Hum Cell. 2018;31:175-178 pubmed publisher..These cell lines have been deposited and registered with the JCRB Cell Bank. They are available for comparison with other DSD cases and for further characterization of genetic loci involved in the mammalian sex determining pathway. ..
- Descazeaud A, Robert G, de la Taille A. [Management of the bladder outlet obstruction associated with BPH in patients with special circumstances and/or complications]. Prog Urol. 2018;28:868-874 pubmed publisher..The presence of co-morbidities or complication related to BPH leads to specifics of care that should not be ignored urologists. 5 consensus d'experts. ..
- Quero L, Hennequin C. Medical treatment for biochemical relapse after radiotherapy. Cancer Radiother. 2014;18:540-4 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the judicious use of a medical treatment for biochemical relapse is still debated. Given the natural history of this clinical situation, a simple surveillance is justified in many cases. ..
- Kang D, Hu C, Fu Y, Wang D. Combination of ?-blocker and 5?-reductase inhibitor for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Clin Invest Med. 2017;40:E200-E210 pubmed publisher..Quality assessment and sensitivity analysis were performed. Six studies were included. Combination therapy was found to significantly reduce urinary retention incidence rate (OR=0.286, 95%CI: 0.199 - 0.412, P. ..
- Migliorini F, Porcaro A, Baldassarre R, Artibani W. Idiopathic stuttering priapism treated with salbutamol orally: a case report. Andrologia. 2016;48:238-40 pubmed publisher..We report the first case of stuttering priapism treated with beta-2-agonist salbutamol. ..
- Silva Vignato B, Coutinho L, Cesar A, Poleti M, Regitano L, Balieiro J. Comparative muscle transcriptome associated with carcass traits of Nellore cattle. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:506 pubmed publisher..The DE genes identified in the biological processes for BFT were ACHE, SRD5A1, RSAD2 and RSPO3...
- Nguyen S, Ko Ko N, Sattar A, Gucuk Ipek E, Ali S. Pulmonary Embolism Secondary to Testosterone-Enhancing Herbal Supplement Use. Cureus. 2017;9:e1545 pubmed publisher..In this case report, we present a patient with new-onset, bilateral pulmonary embolism possibly associated with the daily use of fenugreek-containing testosterone supplements...
- Bergeron F, Nadeau G, Viger R. GATA4 knockdown in MA-10 Leydig cells identifies multiple target genes in the steroidogenic pathway. Reproduction. 2015;149:245-57 pubmed publisher..Gata4 knockdown also led to an important decrease in other novel steroidogenic targets including Srd5a1, Gsta3, Hsd3b1, and Hsd3b6, as well as genes known to participate in cholesterol metabolism such as Scarb1, Ldlr, ..
- Milewich L, Kaimal V, Toews G. Androstenedione metabolism in human alveolar macrophages. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1983;56:920-4 pubmed..It is possible that androgens, formed from blood-borne androstenedione within alveolar macrophages, may modulate phagocytic and other activities in these cells. ..
- Assinder S. Oxytocin increases 5alpha-reductase activity of human prostate epithelial cells, but not stromal cells. Prostate. 2008;68:115-21 pubmed..Both 5-alpha-reductase I and II are expressed in normal human prostate stromal and epithelial cells. Only 5-alpha-reductase isoenzymes of prostate epithelium are modulated by oxytocin. ..
- HenrÃquez HernÃ¡ndez L, Valenciano A, Foro Arnalot P, Ãlvarez Cubero M, Cozar J, SuÃ¡rez Novo J, et al. Genetic variations in genes involved in testosterone metabolism are associated with prostate cancer progression: A Spanish multicenter study. Urol Oncol. 2015;33:331.e1-7 pubmed publisher..of germline variations in cytochrome P450 17A1 (CYP17A1) and steroid-5Î±-reductase, Î±-polypeptides 1 and 2 (SRD5A1 and SRD5A2) genes in PCa...
- Nickel J, Carson C. Testosterone Supplementation in Hypogonadal Men on 5-ARI Therapy. Sex Med Rev. 2014;2:75-78 pubmed publisher..Nickel JC and Carson CC. Testosterone supplementation in hypogonadal men on 5- ARI therapy. Sex Med Rev 2014;2:75-78. ..
- Caglayan A, Dundar M, Tanriverdi F, Baysal N, Unluhizarci K, Ozkul Y, et al. Idiopathic hirsutism: local and peripheral expression of aromatase (CYP19A) and 5?-reductase genes (SRD5A1 and SRD5A2). Fertil Steril. 2011;96:479-82 pubmed publisher..A statistically significant reduction of SRD5A1, SRD5A2, and CYP19A gene expression was found in the dermal papillae cells and peripheral blood mononuclear cell ..
- Pau C, Saxena R, Welt C. Evaluating reported candidate gene associations with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2013;99:1774-8 pubmed publisher..Association of candidate gene variants with PCOS. Three variants, rs3797179 (SRD5A1), rs12473543 (POMC), and rs1501299 (ADIPOQ), were nominally associated with PCOS...
- Andonova S, Robeva R, Vazharova R, Ledig S, Grozdanova L, Stefanova E, et al. New Territory for an Old Disease: 5-Alpha-Reductase Type 2 Deficiency in Bulgaria. Sex Dev. 2017;11:21-28 pubmed publisher..Our study supports the importance of genetic testing in 46,XY DSD patients, especially in countries or regions where 5Î±-reductase-2 deficiency has not been reported so far. ..
- Torkko K, van Bokhoven A, Mai P, Beuten J, Balic I, Byers T, et al. VDR and SRD5A2 polymorphisms combine to increase risk for prostate cancer in both non-Hispanic White and Hispanic White men. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:3223-9 pubmed publisher..16; 95% CI, 1.39-7.19; interaction term P = 0.02). Our results indicate that the SRD5A2 V89L VV genotype interacts with VDR FokI TT/CT genotypes in NHW men and VDR CDX2 GG genotypes in HW men to increase the risk for prostate cancer. ..
- Blankstein U, Van Asseldonk B, Elterman D. BPH update: medical versus interventional management. Can J Urol. 2016;23:10-5 pubmed..This review will summarize the management of this common disorder and is designed to aid the generalist with the pertinent information needed to provide excellent care. ..
- Shanshanwal S, Dhurat R. Superiority of dutasteride over finasteride in hair regrowth and reversal of miniaturization in men with androgenetic alopecia: A randomized controlled open-label, evaluator-blinded study. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2017;83:47-54 pubmed publisher..Dutasteride was shown to be more efficacious than finasteride and the side-effect profiles were comparable. ..
- Kyriakou A, Dessens A, Bryce J, Iotova V, Juul A, Krawczyński M, et al. Current models of care for disorders of sex development - results from an International survey of specialist centres. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2016;11:155 pubmed..The quality of care provided by these centres locally requires further exploration. ..
- Sinreih M, Štupar S, Čemažar L, Verdenik I, Frkovic Grazio S, Smrkolj S, et al. STAR and AKR1B10 are down-regulated in high-grade endometrial cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;171:43-53 pubmed publisher..Spearman correlation coefficient analysis shows that expression of PAQR7 correlates with age, expression of SRD5A1, AKR1B1 and AKR1B10 correlate with body mass, while expression of SRD5A1 and AKR1B10 correlate with body mass ..
- Guo J, Li L, Zhou S, Su Y, Li X, Sun J, et al. Butylated hydroxyanisole alters rat 5Î±-reductase and 3Î±-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: Implications for influences of neurosteroidogenesis. Neurosci Lett. 2017;653:132-138 pubmed publisher..to investigate the direct effects of butylated hydroxyanisole on rat brain neurosteroidogenic 5Î±-reductase 1 (SRD5A1), 3Î±-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (AKR1C14), and retinol dehydrogenase 2 (RDH2)...
- Hellgren C, Comasco E, Skalkidou A, SundstrÃ¶m Poromaa I. Allopregnanolone levels and depressive symptoms during pregnancy in relation to single nucleotide polymorphisms in the allopregnanolone synthesis pathway. Horm Behav. 2017;94:106-113 pubmed publisher..in the aldo-keto reductase family 1, members C2 and C4 (AKR1C2, AKR1C4), and steroid 5 alpha-reductase 1 and 2 (SRD5A1, and SRD5A2) genes were genotyped in a larger sample of pregnant women (n=1351)...
- Detering M, Steels E, Koyyalamudi S, Allifranchini E, Bocchietto E, Vitetta L. Ageratum conyzoides L. inhibits 5-alpha-reductase gene expression in human prostate cells and reduces symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy in otherwise healthy men in a double blind randomized placebo controlled clinical study. Biofactors. 2017;: pubmed publisher..The overall results indicate that A. conyzoides may be an effective treatment for reducing symptoms of BPH in healthy men, in part, through inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase enzyme activity. © 2017 BioFactors, 2017...
- Falvo S, Chieffi Baccaria G, Spaziano G, Rosati L, Venditti M, Di Fiore M, et al. StAR protein and steroidogenic enzyme expressions in the rat Harderian gland. C R Biol. 2018;341:160-166 pubmed publisher..results demonstrate, for the first time, the expression of StAR gene and protein, and Cyp11a1, Hsd3b1, Hsd17b3, Srd5a1, Srd5a2 and Cyp19a1 genes in the rat HG...
- Chu F, Sartor O, Gomella L, Rudo T, Somerville M, Hereghty B, et al. A randomised, double-blind study comparing the addition of bicalutamide with or without dutasteride to GnRH analogue therapy in men with non-metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:1555-69 pubmed publisher..In men with non-metastatic CRPC, adding dutasteride to bicalutamide did not significantly prolong TDP. Prospective data are provided concerning the common practice of using bicalutamide in this setting. ..
- Araki R, Nishida S, Hiraki Y, Matsumoto K, Yabe T. DNA methylation of the GC box in the promoter region mediates isolation rearing-induced suppression of srd5a1 transcription in the prefrontal cortex. Neurosci Lett. 2015;606:135-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, we examined an epigenetic mechanism for transcriptional regulation of srd5a1, which codes for steroid 5Î±-reductase type I, using isolation-reared mice...
- Gibson L, Koch I, Reimer K, Cullen W, Langlois V. Life cycle exposure of the frog Silurana tropicalis to arsenate: Steroid- and thyroid hormone-related genes are differently altered throughout development. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2016;234:133-41 pubmed publisher..In summary, environmentally relevant concentrations of As(V) altered steroidogenesis-, sex steroid signaling- and thyroid hormone-related gene expression, although transcriptional changes varied among tissues and developmental stages. ..
- DerSarkissian M, Xiao Y, Duh M, Lefebvre P, Swensen A, Bell C. Comparing Clinical and Economic Outcomes Associated with Early Initiation of Combination Therapy of an Alpha Blocker and Dutasteride or Finasteride in Men with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in the United States. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016;22:1204-14 pubmed publisher..DerSarkissian and Bell drafted the manuscript. All authors contributed equally to critically revising the manuscript and providing final approval of the submitted manuscript. ..
- Yashi M, Nukui A, Tokura Y, Takei K, Suzuki I, Sakamoto K, et al. Performance characteristics of prostate-specific antigen density and biopsy core details to predict oncological outcome in patients with intermediate to high-risk prostate cancer underwent robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. BMC Urol. 2017;17:47 pubmed publisher
- Morita K, Arimochi H, Tsuruo Y. Adrenergic activation of steroid 5alpha-reductase gene expression in rat C6 glioma cells: involvement of cyclic amp/protein kinase A-mediated signaling pathway. J Mol Neurosci. 2004;22:205-12 pubmed
- Vu T, Hirst J, Stark M, Wright I, Palliser H, Hodyl N, et al. Changes in human placental 5alpha-reductase isoenzyme expression with advancing gestation: effects of fetal sex and glucocorticoid exposure. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2009;21:599-607 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the preterm neonate may have lower developmental exposure to 5alpha-reduced steroids and may lack steroid-mediated neuroprotection depending on fetal sex. ..
- Cohanzad S. Penile Improvement Protocol in Postoperative Management of Patients Undergoing Metoidioplasty. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2016;40:947-953 pubmed..For a full description of these Evidence-Based Medicine ratings, please refer to the Table of Contents or the online Instructions to Authors www.springer.com/00266 . ..
- Wallner L, Dibello J, Li B, Van Den Eeden S, Weinmann S, Ritzwoller D, et al. 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors and the Risk of Prostate Cancer Mortality in Men Treated for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016;91:1717-1726 pubmed publisher..The increased prevalence of high-grade lesions at the time of diagnosis noted in our study and the chemoprevention trials may not result in increased prostate cancer mortality. ..
- Frau R, Savoia P, Fanni S, Fiorentini C, Fidalgo C, Tronci E, et al. The 5-alpha reductase inhibitor finasteride reduces dyskinesia in a rat model of Parkinson's disease. Exp Neurol. 2017;291:1-7 pubmed publisher..Significant dampening of LID was also observed in female rats, although only at the higher tested dose. Clinical investigations are warranted to assess whether similar protection from dyskinesia is seen in PD patients. ..
- Milivojevic V, Kranzler H, Gelernter J, Burian L, Covault J. Variation in genes encoding the neuroactive steroid synthetic enzymes 5?-reductase type 1 and 3?-reductase type 2 is associated with alcohol dependence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011;35:946-52 pubmed publisher..We focused on markers previously associated with a biological phenotype. For 5?-R, we examined the synonymous SRD5A1 exon 1 SNP rs248793, which has been associated with the ratio of dihydrotestosterone to testosterone...
- Lebdai S, Azzouzi A, Delongchamps N, Benchikh A, Campeggi A, Cornu J, et al. [Medicoeconomic aspects of benign prostatic hyperplasia medical treatment]. Prog Urol. 2016;26:129-36 pubmed publisher..The Markov models are imperfect tools, and resources invested in care depend on both the economic model and the value that individuals and society give to efficiency and cost. ..
- Shiota M, Fujimoto N, Yokomizo A, Takeuchi A, Itsumi M, Inokuchi J, et al. SRD5A gene polymorphism in Japanese men predicts prognosis of metastatic prostate cancer with androgen-deprivation therapy. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:1962-9 pubmed publisher..We studied the polymorphisms rs518673 and rs166050 in SRD5A1, and rs12470143, rs523349, rs676033 and rs2208532 in SRD5A2 as well as the time to CRPC progression and overall ..
- Jenkins E, Andersson S, Imperato McGinley J, Wilson J, Russell D. Genetic and pharmacological evidence for more than one human steroid 5 alpha-reductase. J Clin Invest. 1992;89:293-300 pubmed..The results provide genetic, biochemical, and pharmacological support for the existence of at least two steroid 5 alpha-reductase isozymes in man. ..
- Hirsch K, Jones C, Audia J, Andersson S, McQuaid L, Stamm N, et al. LY191704: a selective, nonsteroidal inhibitor of human steroid 5 alpha-reductase type 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:5277-81 pubmed
- Klotsman M, Weinberg C, Davis K, Binnie C, Hartmann K. A case-based evaluation of SRD5A1, SRD5A2, AR, and ADRA1A as candidate genes for severity of BPH. Pharmacogenomics J. 2004;4:251-9 pubmed..polytomous logistic regression analysis was conducted to evaluate associations between two silent polymorphisms in SRD5A1 (codon positions 30 and 116), two polymorphisms in SRD5A2 (Val89Leu substitution and C to T transition in intron 1)..
- Suzuki T, Miki Y, Moriya T, Akahira J, Ishida T, Hirakawa H, et al. 5Alpha-reductase type 1 and aromatase in breast carcinoma as regulators of in situ androgen production. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:285-91 pubmed..Aromatase inhibitors may be more effective in these patients, possibly due to increasing local DHT concentration with estrogen deprivation. ..
- Setlur S, Chen C, Hossain R, Ha J, Van Doren V, Stenzel B, et al. Genetic variation of genes involved in dihydrotestosterone metabolism and the risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010;19:229-39 pubmed publisher..We also investigated associations between SNPs in genes (HSD3B1, SRD5A1/2, and AKR1C2) involved in the conversion of testosterone to DHT, and in DHT metabolism and PCA risk...
- Adams M, McCrone S. SRD5A1 genotype frequency differences in women with mild versus severe premenstrual symptoms. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2012;33:101-8 pubmed publisher..and two genes from the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) pathway: steroid-5-alpha-reductase, alpha polypeptide 1 (SRD5A1) and gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor subunit alpha-4 (GABRA4)...
- Redler S, Tazi Ahnini R, Drichel D, Birch M, Brockschmidt F, Dobson K, et al. Selected variants of the steroid-5-alpha-reductase isoforms SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 and the sex steroid hormone receptors ESR1, ESR2 and PGR: no association with female pattern hair loss identified. Exp Dermatol. 2012;21:390-3 pubmed publisher..We therefore selected a total of 21 variants from the steroid-5-alpha-reductase isoforms SRD5A1 and SRD5A2, the sex steroid hormone receptors ESR1, ESR2 (oestrogen receptor) and PGR (progesterone receptor) and ..
- Wang Y, Sun J, Chen L, Zhou S, Lin H, Wang Y, et al. Effects of resveratrol on rat neurosteroid synthetic enzymes. Fitoterapia. 2017;122:61-66 pubmed publisher..present study is to investigate the inhibition of resveratrol on neurosteroidogenic enzymes rat 5?-reductase 1 (SRD5A1), 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (AKR1C9), and retinol dehydrogenase 2 (RDH2)...
- Eminovic I, Liovic M, Prezelj J, Kocijancic A, Rozman D, Komel R. New steroid 5alpha-reductase type I (SRD5A1) homologous sequences on human chromosomes 6 and 8. Pflugers Arch. 2001;442:R187-9 pubmed..function of the encoded enzymes as well as the perplexing results we obtained after sequencing PCR-amplified SRD5A1 gene fragments (out of genomic DNA), made us assume that, in addition to the known SRD5A1 gene, one or more ..
- Ellis J, Panagiotopoulos S, Akdeniz A, Jerums G, Harrap S. Androgenic correlates of genetic variation in the gene encoding 5alpha-reductase type 1. J Hum Genet. 2005;50:534-7 pubmed..1 and 2 responsible for converting testosterone to the more potent androgen dihydrotestosterone are encoded by the SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 genes, respectively...
- Hein R, Abbas S, Seibold P, Salazar R, Flesch Janys D, Chang Claude J. Polymorphism Thr160Thr in SRD5A1, involved in the progesterone metabolism, modifies postmenopausal breast cancer risk associated with menopausal hormone therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;131:653-61 pubmed publisher..polymorphisms (SNPs) in the progesterone metabolizing enzymes AKR1C3 (rs7741), AKR1C4 (rs3829125, rs17134592), and SRD5A1 (rs248793, rs3736316) using a two-center population-based case-control study from Germany with 2,502 ..
- Marti N, Galvan J, Pandey A, Trippel M, Tapia C, Muller M, et al. Genes and proteins of the alternative steroid backdoor pathway for dihydrotestosterone synthesis are expressed in the human ovary and seem enhanced in the polycystic ovary syndrome. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;441:116-123 pubmed publisher..We found aldo-keto reductases (AKR1C1-1C4), 5?-reductases (SRD5A1/2) and retinol dehydrogenase (RoDH) expressed in the human ovary, indicating that the ovary might produce ..
- Legacki E, Ball B, Corbin C, Loux S, Scoggin K, Stanley S, et al. Equine fetal adrenal, gonadal and placental steroidogenesis. Reproduction. 2017;154:445-454 pubmed publisher..transcript was also significantly higher in adrenals and gonads than allantochorion and CYP19 and SRD5A1 transcripts were higher in allantochorion than either fetal adrenals or gonads...
- Chen C, Huang C, Tsai Y, Hseih T, Shyr C. The Genomic Alterations of 5?-Reductases and Their Inhibitor Finasteride's Effect in Bladder Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6893-6898 pubmed..Since androgens affect urothelial bladder cancer (UBC), we examined whether 5?-reductases (5-AR) have genomic alterations in UBC and whether 5?-reductase inhibitors (5-ARI) affect UBC...
- Habib F, Ross M, Bayne C, Bollina P, Grigor K, Chapman K. The loss of 5alpha-reductase type I and type II mRNA expression in metastatic prostate cancer to bone and lymph node metastasis. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:1815-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that the loss of 5alpha-reductase mRNA expression in bone and lymph node metastasis may be associated, in part, with the progression of these tumors to androgen insensitivity. ..
- Antonipillai I, Wahe M, Yamamoto J, Horton R. Activin and inhibin have opposite effects on steroid 5 alpha-reductase activity in genital skin fibroblasts. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1995;107:99-104 pubmed..5 +/- 0.1%, DHT 2.6 +/- 0.2% TGF-beta 1 4.8 +/- 0.5, TGF-beta 1 + DHT 9.2 +/- 1.2%).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Lewis M, Wiebe J, Heathcote J. Expression of progesterone metabolizing enzyme genes (AKR1C1, AKR1C2, AKR1C3, SRD5A1, SRD5A2) is altered in human breast carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2004;4:27 pubmed..Semi-quantitative RT-PCR was used to compare relative expression (as a ratio of 18S rRNA) of 5alphaR type 1 (SRD5A1), 5alphaR type 2 (SRD5A2), 3alpha-HSO type 2 (AKR1C3), 3alpha-HSO type 3 (AKR1C2) and 20alpha-HSO (AKR1C1) mRNAs ..
- Graupp M, Wehr E, Schweighofer N, Pieber T, Obermayer Pietsch B. Association of genetic variants in the two isoforms of 5?-reductase, SRD5A1 and SRD5A2, in lean patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011;157:175-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to analyze representative genetic variants of both isoforms of 5?-reductase with regard to PCOS parameters in lean and obese women...
- Li J, Ding Z, Wang Z, Lu J, Maity S, Navone N, et al. Androgen regulation of 5?-reductase isoenzymes in prostate cancer: implications for prostate cancer prevention. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28840 pubmed publisher..The three isoenzymes of 5?-reductase identified to date are encoded by different genes: SRD5A1, SRD5A2, and SRD5A3...
- Zhou Z, Shackleton C, Pahwa S, White P, Speiser P. Prominent sex steroid metabolism in human lymphocytes. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1998;138:61-9 pubmed..CYP17, HSD11L (11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase I), HSD17B1 (17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type I) and SRD5A1 (5alpha-reductase I). B-LCL, but not T and B cells, expressed CYP11B...
- Ellis J, Wong Z, Stebbing M, Harrap S. Sex, genes and blood pressure. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2001;28:1053-5 pubmed..genes encoding the androgen receptor (AR), oestrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha), 5alpha-reductase types I and II (SRD5A1 and SRD5A2) and aromatase (CYP19). 3. Systolic blood pressure (SBP) was linked (Z=3.3, genome-wide P < 0...
- Ha S, Kim J, Myung J, Lee H, Kim J. Analysis of genetic polymorphisms of steroid 5alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 genes in Korean men with androgenetic alopecia. J Dermatol Sci. 2003;31:135-41 pubmed..The purpose of our study is to investigate the genetic polymorphisms of steroid 5alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 (SRD5A1 and SRD5A2) genes in Korean population, and to study the association of these polymorphisms with the development, ..
- Habib F, Ross M, Ho C, Lyons V, Chapman K. Serenoa repens (Permixon) inhibits the 5alpha-reductase activity of human prostate cancer cell lines without interfering with PSA expression. Int J Cancer. 2005;114:190-4 pubmed
- Goodarzi M, Shah N, Antoine H, Pall M, Guo X, Azziz R. Variants in the 5alpha-reductase type 1 and type 2 genes are associated with polycystic ovary syndrome and the severity of hirsutism in affected women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4085-91 pubmed..of dihydrotestosterone in androgen action, polymorphisms in the genes for the two isoforms of 5alpha-reductase (SRD5A1 and SRD5A2) have not been evaluated as risk factors for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Paweł K, Hauser J, Skibinska M, Szczepankiewicz A, Dmitrzak Weglarz M, Gorzkowska K, et al. [Family based association study of DRD1, DRD2, DRD3, DRD4, DAT, COMT gene polymorphism in schizophrenia]. Psychiatr Pol. 2010;44:405-13 pubmed..091). This trend should be interpreted very carefully. There is also the possibility that other variant of gene in linkage disequilibrium with -48A/G polymorphism was responsible for the trend observed in this study. ..
- Chang K, Li R, Papari Zareei M, Watumull L, Zhao Y, Auchus R, et al. Dihydrotestosterone synthesis bypasses testosterone to drive castration-resistant prostate cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13728-33 pubmed publisher..Progression to CRPC is accompanied by increased expression of steroid-5?-reductase isoenzyme-1 (SRD5A1) over SRD5A2, which is otherwise the dominant isoenzyme expressed in the prostate...