Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SIRT5
Description: sirtuin 5
Alias: SIR2L5, NAD-dependent deacetylase sirtuin-5, NAD-dependent lysine demalonylase and desuccinylase sirtuin-5, mitochondrial, NAD-dependent protein deacylase sirtuin-5, mitochondrial, SIR2-like protein 5, regulatory protein SIR2 homolog 5, silent mating type information regulation 2, S.cerevisiae, homolog 5, sir2-like 5, sirtuin type 5
- Assignment of the NAD-dependent deacetylase sirtuin 5 gene (SIRT5) to human chromosome band 6p23 by in situ hybridizationU Mahlknecht
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of Heidelberg Medical Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Cytogenet Genome Res 112:208-12. 2006Sirtuin 5 (SIRT5) is a nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)-dependent deacetylase and belongs to the Silent information regulator 2 (Sir2) family of sirtuin histone deacetylases (HDACs), which play a central role in epigenetic gene ..
- Substrates and regulation mechanisms for the human mitochondrial sirtuins Sirt3 and Sirt5Christine Schlicker
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Department of Physiological Chemistry, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitaetsstrasse 150, 44801 Bochum, Germany
J Mol Biol 382:790-801. 2008..Mammalian mitochondria contain three Sirtuins, Sirt3, Sirt4, and Sirt5. Only one substrate is known for Sirt3 as well as for Sirt4, and up to now, no target for Sirt5 has been reported...
- Structural insights of SIR2rp3 proteins as promising biotargets to fight against Chagas disease and leishmaniasisLionel Sacconnay
Pharmacochemistry and Phytochemistry and Bioactive Natural Products, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, University of Lausanne, Quai Ernest Ansermet 30, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Mol Biosyst 9:2223-30. 2013..Molecular docking of known inhibitors revealed strong analogies with the mitochondrial human SIRT5 in terms of binding mode and interaction strength...
- An acetylome peptide microarray reveals specificities and deacetylation substrates for all human sirtuin isoformsDavid Rauh
Department of Enzymology, Institute for Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Martin Luther University, Kurt Mothes Staße 3, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Nat Commun 4:2327. 2013..protein as a Sirt3 substrate and show that peroxiredoxin 1 and high-mobility group B1 protein are deacetylated by Sirt5 and Sirt1, respectively, at the identified sites, rendering them likely new in vivo substrates...
- SIRT5 Regulates the Mitochondrial Lysine Succinylome and Metabolic NetworksMatthew J Rardin
Buck Institute for Research on Aging, 8001 Redwood Boulevard, Novato, CA 94945, USA
Cell Metab 18:920-33. 2013..approach to characterize the lysine succinylome in liver mitochondria and its regulation by the desuccinylase SIRT5. A total of 1,190 unique sites were identified as succinylated, and 386 sites across 140 proteins representing ..
- Widespread and enzyme-independent Nε-acetylation and Nε-succinylation of proteins in the chemical conditions of the mitochondrial matrixGregory R Wagner
From the Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 and
J Biol Chem 288:29036-45. 2013..These findings may have implications for the evolutionary roles that the mitochondria-localized SIRT3 deacetylase and SIRT5 desuccinylase have in the maintenance of metabolic health.
- Oxygen flux analysis to understand the biological function of sirtuinsDongning Wang
Sarah W Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Methods Mol Biol 1077:241-58. 2013..Of the seven mammalian sirtuins, three localize to the mitochondria: SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5. Mitochondrial sirtuins are crucial regulators of the metabolic network that controls energy homeostasis and ..
- Ethanol metabolism modifies hepatic protein acylation in miceKristofer S Fritz
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e75868. 2013..The newly discovered desuccinylase activity of the mitochondrial sirtuin SIRT5 suggests that protein succinylation could be an important post-translational modification regulating mitochondrial ..
- Metabolic characterization of a Sirt5 deficient mouse modelJiujiu Yu
Laboratory of Integrative and Systems Physiology LISP NCEM, School of Life Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Sci Rep 3:2806. 2013b>Sirt5, localized in the mitochondria, is a member of sirtuin family of NAD⁺-dependent deacetylases. Sirt5 was shown to deacetylate and activate carbamoyl phosphate synthase 1...
- Effect of breed on the expression of Sirtuins (Sirt1-7) and antioxidant capacity in porcine brainY Ren
1 Key laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science of Ministry of Agriculture, Key Laboratory of Feed and Animal Nutrition of Zhejiang Province, Institute of Feed Science, Zhejiang University, No 866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou 310058, People s Republic of China
Animal 7:1994-8. 2013..the mRNA levels of Sirt1, as well as Sirt2 and Sirt4, in Jinhua pigs were greater, but the mRNA levels of Sirt3, Sirt5, Sirt6, and Sirt7 of Jinhua pigs were lower compared with Danish Landrace pigs...
- Differential regulation of the Sir2 histone deacetylase gene family by inhibitors of class I and II histone deacetylasesS Kyrylenko
Department of Neuroscience and Neurology, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Cell Mol Life Sci 60:1990-7. 2003..SIRT2, SIRT4 and SIRT7 were upregulated, whereas SIRT1, SIRT5 and SIRT6 were downregulated by trichostatin A (TSA) and n-butyrate...
- SIRT5 desuccinylates and activates SOD1 to eliminate ROSZhi Feng Lin
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200080, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 441:191-5. 2013..Here, we report that SOD1 is succinylated and that succinylation decreases its activity. SIRT5 binds to, desuccinylates and activates SOD1. SOD1-mediated ROS reduction is increased when SIRT5 is co-expressed...
- Dietary restriction increases protein acetylation in the livers of aged ratsAkihiro Nakamura
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Nephrology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Gerontology 59:542-8. 2013..Furthermore, the effects of DR on sirtuins (e.g. SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT3, and SIRT5) have also been reported in mammals...
- Cloning, chromosomal characterization and FISH mapping of the NAD(+)-dependent histone deacetylase gene sirtuin 5 in the mouseSusanne Voelter-Mahlknecht
Institute of Occupational and Social Medicine and Health Services Research, University of Tuebingen, D 72074 Tuebingen, Germany
Int J Oncol 43:237-45. 2013Sirtuin 5 (SIRT5) is a nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)-dependent deacetylase, belonging to the silent information regulator 2 (Sir2) family of sirtuin histone deacetylases (sirtuins)...
- SIRT5-mediated lysine desuccinylation impacts diverse metabolic pathwaysJeongsoon Park
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Cell 50:919-30. 2013Protein function is regulated by diverse posttranslational modifications. The mitochondrial sirtuin SIRT5 removes malonyl and succinyl moieties from target lysines...
- The bicyclic intermediate structure provides insights into the desuccinylation mechanism of human sirtuin 5 (SIRT5)Yeyun Zhou
MacCHESS, Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Biol Chem 287:28307-14. 2012..Their functions have been generally attributed to NAD-dependent deacetylase activity. However, human SIRT5 (sirtuin 5), which has been reported to exhibit little deacetylase activity, was recently identified as an NAD-..
- Transcription levels of sirtuin family in neural stem cells and brain tissues of adult miceH F Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, School of Life Sciences, and Institute of Systems Biology, Shanghai University, Shanghai 200444, China
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) . 2012..Results indicated that the expression of sirt1, sirt5 and sirt6 was significant downregulated by nicotinamide treatment...
- Mitochondrial sirtuins: regulators of protein acylation and metabolismWenjuan He
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 23:467-76. 2012..SIRT3 deacetylates and regulates the enzymatic activity of many metabolic enzymes in mitochondria, whereas SIRT5 removes two novel post-translational modifications, lysine malonylation and succinylation...
- Synthesis of carba-NAD and the structures of its ternary complexes with SIRT3 and SIRT5Bruce G Szczepankiewicz
Sirtris, a GSK Company, 200 Technology Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Org Chem 77:7319-29. 2012..SIRT3 and SIRT5 are NAD-consuming enzymes that are potential therapeutic targets for the treatment of metabolic diseases and ..
- Differential sirtuin expression patterns in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) postmortem tissue: neuroprotective or neurotoxic properties of sirtuins in ALS?Sonja Körner
Department of Neurology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Neurodegener Dis 11:141-52. 2013..We assessed the expression levels of sirtuins in human postmortem ALS and control brain and spinal cord...
- Sirtuin activators and inhibitorsJose M Villalba
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Fisiologia e Inmunologia, Campus Universitario de Rabanales, Edificio Severo Ochoa, Universidad de Cordoba, Campus de Excelencia Internacional Agroalimentario, Cordoba, Spain
Biofactors 38:349-59. 2012..Sirtuin inhibitors with a wide range of core structures have been identified for SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT3 and SIRT5 (splitomicin, sirtinol, AGK2, cambinol, suramin, tenovin, salermide, among others)...
- A molecular mechanism for direct sirtuin activation by resveratrolMelanie Gertz
Department of Biochemistry, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e49761. 2012..Here we show that resveratrol inhibits human Sirt3 and stimulates Sirt5, in addition to Sirt1, against fluorophore-labeled peptide substrates but also against peptides and proteins ..
- Resveratrol stimulates cortisol biosynthesis by activating SIRT-dependent deacetylation of P450sccDonghui Li
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0704, USA
Endocrinology 153:3258-68. 2012..The effects of resveratrol on P450scc protein levels and acetylation status are dependent on SIRT3 and SIRT5 expression...
- Sirt5 deacylation activities show differential sensitivities to nicotinamide inhibitionFrank Fischer
Department of Biochemistry and Research Center for Bio Macromolecules, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e45098. 2012..Using this assay, we show that the deacetylation activity of human Sirt5 features an unusual insensitivity to nicotinamide inhibition...
- SIRT5 deacetylates and activates urate oxidase in liver mitochondria of miceYasuhiko Nakamura
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
FEBS Lett 586:4076-81. 2012We identified urate oxidase (UOX) as a target of SIRT5 by comparing mitochondrial proteins in livers of SIRT5-overexpressing transgenic (SIRT5 Tg) and wild-type mice by using two-dimensional electrophoresis...
- Mitochondrial protein acylation and intermediary metabolism: regulation by sirtuins and implications for metabolic diseaseJohn C Newman
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42436-43. 2012..b>SIRT5 exhibits demalonylase/desuccinylase activity, and lysine succinylation and malonylation are abundant mitochondrial ..
- HDAC isoenzyme expression is deregulated in chronic lymphocytic leukemia B-cells and has a complex prognostic significanceMichael Van Damme
Laboratory of Clinical Cell Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, Institut Jules Bordet, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Brussels, Belgium
Epigenetics 7:1403-12. 2012..03, p < 0.0001). For OS, SIRT5 and 6 allowed stratification into 3 groups, with a median OS of > 360, 237 and 94 mo (HR = 6.38, p < 0.0001)...
- Mitochondrial sirtuins and metabolic homeostasisEija Pirinen
Laboratory for Integrative and Systems Physiology, School of Life Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 26:759-70. 2012..The mitochondrial sirtuins SIRT3, SIRT4 and SIRT5 together with the nuclear SIRT1 regulate several aspects of mitochondrial physiology by controlling post-..
- Inhibition of the human deacylase Sirtuin 5 by the indole GW5074Benjamin Suenkel
Department of Biochemistry, University of Bayreuth, Universitaetsstrasse 30, 95447 Bayreuth, Germany
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 23:143-6. 2013..Few pharmacological inhibitors have been reported yet for human Sirt5 since substrates and assays for reliable testing of its activity were unavailable until recently, and most ..
- Identification of microRNAs regulated by isothiocyanates and association of polymorphisms inside their target sites with risk of sporadic colorectal cancerOndrej Slaby
Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute, Department of Comprehensive Cancer Care, Brno, Czech Republic
Nutr Cancer 65:247-54. 2013..SNPs) localized within the 3'UTRs of genes (AGTR1, TNFAIP2, PRKCB, HSPA9, RABGAP1, DICER1, ADAM19, VWA5A, and SIRT5) targeted by these ITC-related miRNAs...
- Altered expression of SIRT gene family in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaChi Chih Lai
Division of Laryngology, Department of Otolaryngology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, 123 Da Pi Rd, Niaosong District, 833 Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Tumour Biol 34:1847-54. 2013..Our results demonstrated that the expression levels of SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT3, SIRT5, SIRT6, and SIRT7 were significantly downregulated in cancerous tissues compared with noncancerous tissues (all p&..
- Genealogy of an ancient protein family: the Sirtuins, a family of disordered membersSusan Costantini
Pascale Foundation National Cancer Institute Cancer Research Center CROM, via Ammiraglio Bianco, 83013, Mercogliano, Italy
BMC Evol Biol 13:60. 2013..3D structures of human SIRT2, SIRT3, and SIRT5 revealed the overall conformation of the conserved core domain but they were unable to give a structural ..
- Thiosuccinyl peptides as Sirt5-specific inhibitorsBin He
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:1922-5. 2012..Here we demonstrate that thiosuccinyl peptides are potent and selective Sirt5 inhibitors...
- Substrates for efficient fluorometric screening employing the NAD-dependent sirtuin 5 lysine deacylase (KDAC) enzymeAndreas S Madsen
Department of Chemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Kemitorvet 207, DK 2800, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
J Med Chem 55:5582-90. 2012..substrates that enable highly efficient and enzyme-economical screening employing sirtuin 5 (SIRT5)...
- Proteomic analysis of mitochondrial proteins in cardiomyocytes from rats subjected to intermittent hypoxiaWei Zhong Zhu
Physiological Laboratory of Hypoxia, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, 200031 Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:1037-46. 2012..These findings will provide clues for understanding the mechanism of IH-induced cardiac protection and may lead to the development of interventional strategies designed to utilize the advantages of IH clinically...
- Sirtuins mediate mammalian metabolic responses to nutrient availabilityAngeliki Chalkiadaki
Paul F Glenn Laboratory, Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building 68, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 8:287-96. 2012..The mitochondrial sirtuins, SIRT3, SIRT4 and SIRT5, regulate the activity of important mitochondrial enzymes and drive metabolic cycles in response to fasting and ..
- Structure-activity studies on suramin analogues as inhibitors of NAD+-dependent histone deacetylases (sirtuins)Johannes Trapp
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Albert Ludwigs Universitat Freiburg, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
ChemMedChem 2:1419-31. 2007..The recently published X-ray crystal structure of human SIRT5 in complex with suramin and the human SIRT2 structure were used to analyze the interaction mode of the novel ..
- Mechanism-based affinity capture of sirtuinsYana Cen
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Org Biomol Chem 9:987-93. 2011..that these tools are cross reactive against a variety of human sirtuin isoforms including SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT3, SIRT5, SIRT6 and can react with microbial derived sirtuins as well...
- Old enzymes, new tricks: sirtuins are NAD(+)-dependent de-acylasesMatthew D Hirschey
Sarah W Stedman Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Cell Metab 14:718-9. 2011..Two new studies by Du et al. (2011) and Peng et al. (2011) identify a new enzymatic activity for SIRT5, expanding the cellular repertoire of posttranslational modifications targeted by the sirtuins.
- Proteome profile of functional mitochondria from human skeletal muscle using one-dimensional gel electrophoresis and HPLC-ESI-MS/MSNatalie Lefort
Center for Metabolic Biology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
J Proteomics 72:1046-60. 2009..proteins were detected, and 487 of these were assigned to the mitochondrion, including the newly characterized SIRT5, MitoNEET and RDH13...
- SIRT5 Deacetylates carbamoyl phosphate synthetase 1 and regulates the urea cycleTakashi Nakagawa
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 02139, USA
Cell 137:560-70. 2009..Here, we show that SIRT5 localizes in the mitochondrial matrix and interacts with carbamoyl phosphate synthetase 1 (CPS1), an enzyme, ..
- Ure(k)a! Sirtuins Regulate MitochondriaWilliam C Hallows
Department of Biomolecular Chemistry, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, 53706, USA
Cell 137:404-6. 2009..In this issue, Nakagawa et al. (2009) show that the sirtuin SIRT5 deacetylates and activates a mitochondrial enzyme, carbamoyl phosphate synthetase 1, which mediates the first step ..
- SIRT6 links histone H3 lysine 9 deacetylation to NF-kappaB-dependent gene expression and organismal life spanTiara L A Kawahara
Program in Epithelial Biology, Division of Endocrinology, Gerontology, and Metabolism, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell 136:62-74. 2009..We propose that SIRT6 attenuates NF-kappaB signaling via H3K9 deacetylation at chromatin, and hyperactive NF-kappaB signaling may contribute to premature and normal aging...
- Opposing effects of sirtuins on neuronal survival: SIRT1-mediated neuroprotection is independent of its deacetylase activityJason A Pfister
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e4090. 2008..Indeed, SIRT1 has been reported to protect against neuronal death, while SIRT2 promotes neurodegeneration. The effect of SIRTs 3-7 on the regulation of neuronal survival, if any, has yet to be reported...
- Alcohol alters hepatic FoxO1, p53, and mitochondrial SIRT5 deacetylation functionCharles S Lieber
Section of Liver Disease and Nutrition, James J Peters VA Medical Center, 130 West Kingsbridge Road 151 2, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 373:246-52. 2008..04 and p=0.02, respectively) while hepatic p53 was found hyperacetylated (p=0.017). Furthermore, mitochondrial SIRT5 was reduced (p=0.0025), and PGC-1alpha hyperacetylated (p=0.027), establishing their role in protein modification...
- Localization of mouse mitochondrial SIRT proteins: shift of SIRT3 to nucleus by co-expression with SIRT5Yasuhiko Nakamura
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 366:174-9. 2008..regulator 2 (SIR2) is involved in extension of yeast longevity by calorie restriction, and SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5 are mammalian homologs of SIR2 localized in mitochondria...
- Mammalian Sir2 homolog SIRT3 regulates global mitochondrial lysine acetylationDavid B Lombard
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:8807-14. 2007..no mitochondrial hyperacetylation was detectable in mice lacking the two other mitochondrial sirtuins, SIRT4 and SIRT5. Surprisingly, despite this biochemical phenotype, SIRT3-deficient mice are metabolically unremarkable under basal ..
- Regulation of insulin secretion by SIRT4, a mitochondrial ADP-ribosyltransferaseNidhi Ahuja
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Biol Chem 282:33583-92. 2007..Depletion of SIRT4 from insulin-producing INS-1E cells results in increased insulin secretion in response to glucose. These observations define a new role for mitochondrial SIRT4 in the regulation of insulin secretion...
- Sirtuin functions in health and diseaseHiroyasu Yamamoto
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, 1 rue Laurent Fries, Boite Postale 10142, 67404 Illkirch, France
Mol Endocrinol 21:1745-55. 2007..Here, we review some of the recent data related to the sirtuins and discuss their mode of action, their biological role in cellular and organismal models, and their possible association to age-related human diseases...
- Structural basis of inhibition of the human NAD+-dependent deacetylase SIRT5 by suraminAnja Schuetz
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Toronto, 100 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L5, Canada
Structure 15:377-89. 2007..We identified suramin as a compound that binds to human SIRT5 and showed that it inhibits SIRT5 NAD(+)-dependent deacetylase activity with an IC(50) value of 22 microM...
- DNA pooling: a comprehensive, multi-stage association analysis of ACSL6 and SIRT5 polymorphisms in schizophreniaK V Chowdari
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Genes Brain Behav 6:229-39. 2007..and two positional candidate genes: ACSL6 (Acyl-Coenzyme A synthetase long-chain family member 6) and SIRT5 (silent mating type information regulation 2 homologue 5)...
- Evolutionarily conserved and nonconserved cellular localizations and functions of human SIRT proteinsEriko Michishita
Laboratory of Biosystems and Cancer, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Biol Cell 16:4623-35. 2005..with heterochromatic regions and nucleoli, respectively, where yeast Sir2 functions; 2) SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5 are localized in mitochondria, an organelle that links aging and energy metabolism; 3) cellular p53 is a major in ..
- Phylogenetic classification of prokaryotic and eukaryotic Sir2-like proteinsR A Frye
Pittsburgh V A Medical Center 132L, University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15240, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 273:793-8. 2000..The seven human sirtuin genes include all four classes: SIRT1, SIRT2, and SIRT3 are class I, SIRT4 is class II, SIRT5 is class III, and SIRT6 and SIRT7 are class IV.
- Function and regulation of the mitochondrial sirtuin isoform Sirt5 in MammaliaMelanie Gertz
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:1658-65. 2010..Mammals have seven Sirtuin isoforms, three of them - Sirt3, Sirt4, and Sirt5 - located to mitochondria, our centers of energy metabolism and apoptosis initiation...
- Mitochondrial sirtuinsJing Yi Huang
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:1645-51. 2010..Three sirtuins, SIRT3, 4 and 5, are located within the mitochondrial matrix. SIRT3 and SIRT5 are NAD(+)-dependent deacetylases that remove acetyl groups from acetyllysine-modified proteins and yield 2'-O-..
- Sirt5 is a NAD-dependent protein lysine demalonylase and desuccinylaseJintang Du
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Science 334:806-9. 2011..Four of them (Sirt4 to Sirt7) have no detectable or very weak deacetylase activity. We found that Sirt5 is an efficient protein lysine desuccinylase and demalonylase in vitro...
- The first identification of lysine malonylation substrates and its regulatory enzymeChao Peng
Ben May Department for Cancer Research, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 10:M111.012658. 2011..In addition, we demonstrate that Sirt5, a member of the class III lysine deacetylases, can catalyze lysine demalonylation and lysine desuccinylation ..
- Mitochondrial sirtuins in the regulation of mitochondrial activity and metabolic adaptationDavid B Lombard
Department of Pathology, Institute of Gerontology, 3015 BSRB, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Handb Exp Pharmacol 206:163-88. 2011..In mammals, three members of the sirtuin class of NAD(+)-dependent deacetylases - SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5 - localize to mitochondria and regulate targets involved in a diverse array of biochemical pathways...
- SIRT1 and SIRT5 activity expression and behavioral responses to calorie restrictionYi Qun Geng
Central Laboratory, Shantou University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong Joint Shantou International Eye Center, Shantou, Guangdong 515041, China
J Cell Biochem 112:3755-61. 2011To investigate the effects of calorie restriction (CR) on behavioral performance and expression of SIRT1 and SIRT5 in rat cerebral tissues...
- Mammalian sirtuins and energy metabolismXiaoling Li
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Int J Biol Sci 7:575-87. 2011..This review focuses on the involvement of two nuclear sirtuins, SIRT1 and SIRT6, and three mitochondrial sirtuins, SIRT3, SIRT4, and SIRT5, in regulation of diverse metabolic processes.
- Advances in characterization of human sirtuin isoforms: chemistries, targets and therapeutic applicationsY Cen
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Curr Med Chem 18:1919-35. 2011..There are seven human sirtuin isoforms called SIRT1-SIRT7. The biochemical functions of SIRT1, SIRT2, SIRT3, SIRT5 and SIRT6 have been reported and NAD+ dependent deacetylase activities confirmed...
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors demonstrate significant preclinical activity as single agents, and in combination with bortezomib in Waldenström's macroglobulinemiaJenny Y Sun
Bing Center for Waldenstrom s Macroglobulinemia, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 11:152-6. 2011..of bone marrow CD19+ cells from 30 patients and 10 healthy donors showed overexpression of HDAC4, HDAC9, and Sirt5, with validation of HDAC9 overexpression by q-PCR in primary and BCWM.1 cells...
- Zebrafish as a model organism to evaluate drugs potentially able to modulate sirtuin expressionTalita Carneiro Brandão Pereira
Laboratório de Biologia Genômica e Molecular, Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular, Faculdade de Biociencias, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Zebrafish 8:9-16. 2011..SIRT1, SIRT3, SIRT5, and SIRT6 genes were expressed in all tissues, and SIRT1 exhibited the highest level of expression in all organs...
- Distinct regulation of mitochondrial localization and stability of two human Sirt5 isoformsNobuko Matsushita
Laboratory of Molecular Biochemistry, School of Life Sciences, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0392, Japan
Genes Cells 16:190-202. 2011..In this study, we clarified the mechanism of subcellular localization of two SIRT5 isoforms (i.e...
- The proteomic response of the mussel congeners Mytilus galloprovincialis and M. trossulus to acute heat stress: implications for thermal tolerance limits and metabolic costs of thermal stressLars Tomanek
California Polytechnic State University, Department of Biological Sciences, Center for Coastal Marine Sciences, Environmental Proteomics Laboratory, 1 Grand Avenue, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 0401, USA
J Exp Biol 213:3559-74. 2010..galloprovincialis, which is consistent with its expanding range in warmer waters...
- Brain molecular aging, promotion of neurological disease and modulation by sirtuin 5 longevity gene polymorphismChristin Glorioso
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neurobiol Dis 41:279-90. 2011..that subjects carrying a newly-characterized low-expressing polymorphism in a putative longevity gene (Sirtuin5; SIRT5(prom2)) have older brain molecular ages...
- Sirtuin regulation of mitochondria: energy production, apoptosis, and signalingEric Verdin
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 35:669-75. 2010..Three sirtuins, SIRT3, SIRT4 and SIRT5, are located in the mitochondria, dynamic organelles that function as the primary site of oxidative metabolism and ..
- Urea cycle regulation by mitochondrial sirtuin, SIRT5Takashi Nakagawa
Paul F Glenn Laboratory for the Science of Aging and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Aging (Albany NY) 1:578-81. 2009Mammalian sirtuins have diverse roles in aging, metabolism and disease. Recently we reported a new function for SIRT5 in urea cycle regulation...
- Overexpression of SIRT5 confirms its involvement in deacetylation and activation of carbamoyl phosphate synthetase 1Masahito Ogura
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 393:73-8. 2010..In mammals, among the seven SIR2 homologues (SIRT1-7), SIRT3, 4, and 5 are localized to mitochondria. As SIRT5 mRNA levels in liver are increased by fasting, the physiological role of SIRT5 was investigated in liver of SIRT5-..
- Characterization of five human cDNAs with homology to the yeast SIR2 gene: Sir2-like proteins (sirtuins) metabolize NAD and may have protein ADP-ribosyltransferase activityR A Frye
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15240, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 260:273-9. 1999..The SIRT1 sequence has the closest homology to the S. cerevisiae Sir2p. The SIRT4 and SIRT5 sirtuins more closely resemble prokaryotic sirtuin sequences...
- Regulation of HIV transcription and replication by SDF-1gammaEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will determine whether a correlations exist between SDF-1gamma expression, HIV replication and the presence of the SDF1-3'A allele. ..
- A New In Vitro Model for HIV LatencyEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies should further establish the validity of our model for the study of HIV latency in patients. ..
- DLPC Treatment of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic FibrosisCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ANTIVIRAL & ANTIFIBROTIC LIVER THERAPY OF HCV+ DRINKERSCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2005..Funds are requested for special laboratory tests, study nurses, travel to meetings, patient monitoring expenses and a core office. ..
- Epigenetic regulation of HIV latencyERIC M VERDIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Here we propose to study the role of epigenetic modifications in HIV latency and the possible role of drugs that modify epigenetic silencing as a novel therapeutic approach to induce the reactivation of latent HIV. ..
- ROLE OF CHROMATIN IN HIV TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATIONERIC M VERDIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..These experiments have the potential of identifying novel factors mediating HIV transcriptional regulation that could be targeted therapeutically in the future. ..
- ROLE OF CHROMATIN IN HIV TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATIONEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments have the potential of identifying novel factors mediating HIV transcriptional regulation that could be targeted therapeutically in the future. ..
- Synergistic Nutraceutical Effects of DLPC and SAMeCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Antiviral/Antifibrotic Liver Therapy of Hepatitis C positive Alcohol DrinkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accordingly, support is requested for the completion of this novel approach for the treatment of HCV+ patients who become abstinent or who continue to consume alcohol moderately. ..
- Liver Fibrosis, Inflammation & Oxidative Stress MarkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MODULATION OF CD8 T CELL FUNCTION BY HIV ENVELOPE PROTEIEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF CHROMATIN IN HIV TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATIONEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the applicant will use an in vitro transcription system reconstituted with purified histones to evaluate the effects of specific mutations in the histone amino tails (sites of acetylation) on HIV expression. ..
- INTERACTION OF ETHANOL WITH HEPATIC MICROSOMESCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 1992..Our ultimate goal is to define in molecular terms some of the most far-reaching changes brought about by chronic ethanol consumption in the internal milieu of the body and the resulting response to the environment...
- DLPC TREATMENT OF ALCOHOLIC AND NON ALCOHOLIC FIBROSISCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2000..If successful, the proposed studies will establish DLPC as the first safe and chemically defined agent capable of preventing the progression (and possibly of promoting the regression) of hepatic and pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- MECHANISM AND ROLE OF MICROSOMAL ETHANOL OXIDATIONCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such information is aimed at elucidating key aspects of alcohol mediated pathology in a way which may eventually affect alcohol related medical complications, their prevention and treatment. ..
- MODULATION OF T CELL FUNCTIONS BY HIV1 TATEric Verdin; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will further define the role of Tat as modulator of T cell differentiated functions and establish its role in HIV pathogenesis. ..