Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SERCA2
Description: ATPase, Ca++ transporting, cardiac muscle, slow twitch 2
Alias: ATP2B, DAR, SERCA2, ATPase, Ca++ dependent, slow-twitch, cardiac muscle-2, SR Ca(2+)-ATPase 2, calcium pump 2, calcium-transporting ATPase sarcoplasmic reticulum type, slow twitch skeletal muscle isoform, cardiac Ca2+ ATPase, endoplasmic reticulum class 1/2 Ca(2+) ATPase, sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase 2
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- S-Glutathiolation by peroxynitrite activates SERCA during arterial relaxation by nitric oxideTakeshi Adachi
Vascular and Myocardial Biology Units, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University Medical Center, X707, 650 Albany Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2393, USA
Nat Med 10:1200-7. 2004..Thus, irreversible oxidation of key thiol(s) in disease impairs NO-induced relaxation by preventing reversible S-glutathiolation and activation of SERCA by NO/ONOO(-)...
- The anti-apoptotic protein HAX-1 interacts with SERCA2 and regulates its protein levels to promote cell survivalElizabeth Vafiadaki
Molecular Biology Division, Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens, Greece
Mol Biol Cell 20:306-18. 2009..In the current study, we determined that HAX-1 can also bind to SERCA2. Deletion mapping analysis demonstrated that amino acid residues 575-594 of SERCA2's nucleotide binding domain are ..
- Up-regulation of transient receptor potential canonical 1 (TRPC1) following sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase 2 gene silencing promotes cell survival: a potential role for TRPC1 in Darier's diseaseBiswaranjan Pani
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Mol Biol Cell 17:4446-58. 2006..Similar up-regulation of TRPC1 was also detected in epidermal layers of SERCA2+/- mice. HaCaT cells expressed TRPC1 in the plasma membrane...
- Modulation of endoplasmic reticulum calcium pump by Bcl-2T H Kuo
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Oncogene 17:1903-10. 1998..The steady state levels of SERCA2 mRNA and protein were both increased in Bcl-2 expression clones...
- Altered mRNA splicing of the skeletal muscle ryanodine receptor and sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase in myotonic dystrophy type 1Takashi Kimura
Division of Molecular Bioscience, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, PO Box 334, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 14:2189-200. 2005..In addition, a novel variant of SERCA2 was significantly decreased in DM1 patients...
- Modulation of B-cell endoplasmic reticulum calcium homeostasis by Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein-1Olivier Dellis
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Inserm UMR S 940, Institut Universitaire d Hematologie, Universite Paris VII, Service d Anatomie et Cytologie Pathologiques, Hopital Lariboisiere, 16, Rue de la Grange aux Belles, 75010 Paris, France
Mol Cancer 8:59. 2009....
- Spectrum of novel ATP2A2 mutations in patients with Darier's diseaseA Sakuntabhai
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Headington, Oxford OX3 7BN, UK
Hum Mol Genet 8:1611-9. 1999..These results illustrate the considerable diversity of ATP2A2 mutations causing DD and suggest that additional factors are important contributors to the clinical phenotype...
- Dissection of the functional differences between sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA) 1 and 2 isoforms and characterization of Darier disease (SERCA2) mutants by steady-state and transient kinetic analysesLeonard Dode
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:47877-89. 2003..partial reactions of the Ca2+ transport cycle mediated by the human sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase 2 (SERCA2) isoforms, SERCA2a and SERCA2b, and 10 Darier disease (DD) mutants upon heterologous expression in HEK-293 cells...
- The protein phosphatase-1/inhibitor-2 complex differentially regulates GSK3 dephosphorylation and increases sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase 2 levelsTaj D King
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology, Sparks Center 1009, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0017, USA
Exp Cell Res 312:3693-700. 2006..GSK3 activity is known to affect sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase 2 (SERCA2) levels...
- The effects of the phenylalanine 256 to valine mutation on the sensitivity of sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase (SERCA) Ca2+ pump isoforms 1, 2, and 3 to thapsigargin and other inhibitorsLaura L Wootton
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:6970-6. 2006....
- Mutations in ATP2A2, encoding a Ca2+ pump, cause Darier diseaseA Sakuntabhai
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, UK
Nat Genet 21:271-7. 1999..mutations in the ATP2A2 gene, which encodes the sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2(+)-ATPase type 2 isoform (SERCA2) and is highly expressed in keratinocytes...
- Identification of a new SERCA2 splice variant regulated during monocytic differentiationPascal Gelebart
U 348 INSERM, IFR 6, Hopital Lariboisiere, 8, rue Guy Patin, 75010 Paris, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 303:676-84. 2003..We report that in addition to the ubiquitously expressed SERCA2b isoform, a new splice variant of SERCA2 can be detected (SERCA2c) that arises from the inclusion of a short intronic sequence located between exons 20 and ..
- Physical interactions between phospholamban and sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPases are dissociated by elevated Ca2+, but not by phospholamban phosphorylation, vanadate, or thapsigargin, and are enhanced by ATPM Asahi
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L6, Canada
J Biol Chem 275:15034-8. 2000....
- Ca2+ increase and Ca(2+)-influx in human tracheal smooth muscle cells: role of Ca2+ pools controlled by sarco-endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase 2 isoformY Amrani
INSERM U 425, , Illkirch, France
Br J Pharmacol 115:1204-10. 1995..4. Comparative western blotting of human TSMC membranes using anti-SERCA2 isoform-specific antibodies clearly showed the greater expression of the 100-kDa SERCA2-b isoform compared with ..
- Association between carriage of oral yeasts, malnutrition and HIV-1 infection among Tanzanian children aged 18 months to 5 yearsF Scheutz
Department of Oral Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:193-8. 1997..The study was carried out in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, in two maternal and child health (MCH) clinics that offer routine medical checkups to all ..
- Dental caries in relation to diet, saliva and cariogenic microorganisms in Tanzanians of selected age groupsM C Mazengo
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Kuopio, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:169-74. 1996..A random sample of 12-, 35-44- and 65- to 74- year olds was drawn from Msongola (rural) and Ukombozi (urban), Dar-es-Salaam. The mean of two 24-h recalls was used for the assessment of food intake...
- Headache in a nonclinical population in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. A community-based studyW B Matuja
Neurology Clinic, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Headache 35:273-6. 1995..3 lost work days per year in comparison to a control group of 154 persons with an average of 5.7 lost work days per year for reasons other than headache (X2 P = 0.0005).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Darier disease, multiple bone cysts, and aniridia due to double de novo heterozygous mutations in ATP2A2 and PAX6Marco Castori
Experimental Medicine Department, Sapienza University of Rome, San Camillo Forlanini Hospital, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 149:1768-72. 2009..This finding suggests a role for ATP2A2 in bone biology. More systematic studies are expected in order to estimate the true prevalence of bone cysts in DD and the relationship between skeletal changes and ATP2A2 perturbation...
- Current clinical efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of Plasmodium falciparum infections in urban Dar es Salaam, United Republic of TanzaniaZ Premji
Department of Parasitology Medical Entomology, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Bull World Health Organ 77:740-4. 1999..the efficacy of chloroquine in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in young children (n = 200) in urban Dar es Salaam. Chloroquine failure was found in 43% of the children. Of these, 12...
- Anti-diabetic drugs in the private and public sector in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaM Justin-Temu
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, P O Box 65013, Dares Salaam, Tanzania
East Afr Med J 86:110-4. 2009To compare availability, cost, affordability and sources of anti-diabetic drugs between private and public health facilities in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- No indications for HPV involvement in the hypertrophic skin lesions of a Darier disease case without ATP2A2 gene mutationsCinzia Borgogna
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Medical School of Novara, University of Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
J Cutan Pathol 36:1005-9. 2009..Haploinsufficiency of the ATP2A2 gene product, sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2), is the underlying cause of most cases...
- A novel splice-site mutation of ATP2A2 gene in a Chinese family with Darier diseaseJia Huo
Department of Dermatology, The Second Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University, 157 Xi Wu Road, Xi an, 710004 Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
Arch Dermatol Res 302:769-72. 2010..of DD are defects in the ATP2A2 gene, which encodes the sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2)...
- Assessment of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) flux pathways in cardiomyocytes from rabbits with infarct-induced left-ventricular dysfunctionPaul Neary
Department of Medical Cardiology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow G31 2ER, UK
Pflugers Arch 444:360-71. 2002..SR Ca(2+) flux rates associated with sarco-endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) ATPase type 2 (SERCA2)-mediated uptake, ryanodine receptor type 2 (RyR2)-mediated Ca(2+) efflux and background SR Ca(2+) leak were ..
- Squamous cell tumors in mice heterozygous for a null allele of Atp2a2, encoding the sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 Ca2+ pumpL H Liu
Departments of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology and Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 276:26737-40. 2001Mutations in the human ATP2A2 gene, encoding sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2), cause Darier disease, an autosomal dominant skin disease characterized by multiple keratotic papules in the seborrheic regions of ..
- Clinical and mutational heterogeneity of Darier disease in Tunisian familiesMbarka Bchetnia
Molecular Investigation of Genetic Orphan Diseases Research Unit and Department of Pathology, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia
Arch Dermatol 145:654-6. 2009..To study the mutation spectrum and phenotype-genotype correlation of Darier disease (DD) in Tunisian patients...
- Darier disease: a guide to the physicianAleksandar Godic
Department of Dermatovenereology, University Clinical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Med 35:5-17. 2004..It is caused by mutations of ATP2A2 gene, which encodes the sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2 protein)...
- Cardiac hypertrophy and thyroid hormone signalingWolfgang Dillmann
University of California, San Diego, USA
Heart Fail Rev 15:125-32. 2010..with thyroid hormone promoting expression of the gene encoding the calcium pump of the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SERCa2). In contrast, in hypothyroid animals phospholamban levels, which inhibit the SERCa2 pump, are increased...
- New mutations of Darier disease in Tunisian patientsMbarka Bchetnia
Molecular Investigation of Genetic Orphan Diseases Research Unit, Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Pasteur, 1002 Tunis Belvedere, Tunisia
Arch Dermatol Res 301:615-9. 2009..Both pathogenic mutations are located in exon 13 of the ATP2A2 gene and affected the ATP-binding site of the SERCA2 protein...
- A monoclonal antibody to the Ca2+-ATPase of cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum cross-reacts with slow type I but not with fast type II canine skeletal muscle fibers: an immunocytochemical and immunochemical studyA O Jorgensen
Department of Anatomy, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 9:164-74. 1988....
- Evaluation of the quality of amodiaquine and sulphadoxine/pyrimethamine tablets sold by private wholesale pharmacies in Dar Es Salaam TanzaniaO M S Minzi
Clinical Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences MUCHS, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
J Clin Pharm Ther 28:117-22. 2003..The aim of this work was to assess the quality of SP and AQ tablets marketed by wholesale pharmacies in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Consequences of depleted SERCA2-gated calcium stores in the skinEliane J Muller
Vetsuisse Faculty, Institute of Animal Pathology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Invest Dermatol 126:721-31. 2006Sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2) pumps belong to the family of Ca2+-ATPases responsible for the maintenance of calcium in the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Food cravings, aversions and pica among pregnant women in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaC N M Nyaruhucha
Sokoine University of Agriculture, Department of Food Science and Technology, P O Box 3006, Morogoro, Tanzania
Tanzan J Health Res 11:29-34. 2009..aversions and pica during pregnancy among 204 pregnant and lactating women attending two health facilities in Dar es Salaam City, Tanzania. Nausea and vomiting were reported by 82.8% of all women of which 43...
- Interplay of RNA elements in the dengue virus 5' and 3' ends required for viral RNA replicationPeter Friebe
Division of Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 1 Barker Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 7354, USA
J Virol 84:6103-18. 2010..This new sequence is located downstream of the AUG, designated the 5' downstream AUG region (5' DAR); the motif predicted to be complementary in the 3' end is termed the 3' DAR...
- Nature of gram-negative rod antibiotic resistance during antibiotic rotationHeather L Evans
Surgical Infectious Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, UVA Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1380, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 6:223-31. 2005..The aim of this study was to characterize the evolution of gram-negative antibiotic resistance during a study of empiric antibiotic rotation...
- A new tent trap for sampling exophagic and endophagic members of the Anopheles gambiae complexNicodemus J Govella
Ifakara Health Institute, Coordination Office, Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Malar J 8:157. 2009Mosquito sampling methods are essential for monitoring and evaluating malaria vector control interventions. In urban Dar es Salaam, human landing catch (HLC) is the only method sufficiently sensitive for monitoring malaria-transmitting ..
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 through breastfeeding by treating mothers with triple antiretroviral therapy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: the Mitra Plus studyCharles Kilewo
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:406-16. 2009..The main aim of this study was to reduce breast-milk transmission of HIV-1 by treating HIV-1-infected women with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) during breastfeeding...
- Optimal blood mononuclear cell isolation procedures for gamma interferon enzyme-linked immunospot testing of healthy Swedish and Tanzanian subjectsC Nilsson
Dept of Immunology and Vaccinology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control and Karolinska Institute, 171 82 Solna, Sweden
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:585-9. 2008..to find the cell preparation technique best suited for two clinical vaccine trial sites: Stockholm, Sweden, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Sarco/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase-2 expression is regulated by ATF6 during the endoplasmic reticulum stress response: intracellular signaling of calcium stress in a cardiac myocyte model systemD J Thuerauf
Heart Institute and the Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182, USA
J Biol Chem 276:48309-17. 2001..the hypothesis that ATF6 serves as a regulator of the expression of sarco/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase-2 (SERCA2), a protein that transports calcium into the SR from the cytoplasm...
- Maternal and neonatal colonisation of group B streptococcus at Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: prevalence, risk factors and antimicrobial resistanceAgricola Joachim
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
BMC Public Health 9:437. 2009..This study was conducted in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to determine the prevalence of GBS colonisation among pregnant women, the neonatal colonisation ..
- Community response to artemisinin-based combination therapy for childhood malaria: a case study from Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaVinay R Kamat
Department of Anthropology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Malar J 9:61. 2010..The paper specifically examines the perceived efficacy of ALu as articulated by the mothers of young children diagnosed with malaria and prescribed ALu...
- The presence of Lys27 instead of Asn27 in human phospholamban promotes sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase superinhibition and cardiac remodelingWen Zhao
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0575, USA
Circulation 113:995-1004. 2006Phospholamban (PLN) is an inhibitor of the Ca2+ affinity of sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA2)...
- Adolescent girls with illegally induced abortion in Dar es Salaam: the discrepancy between sexual behaviour and lack of access to contraceptionV Rasch
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Reprod Health Matters 8:52-62. 2000This article reports on a study of induced abortion among adolescent girls in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, who were admitted to a district hospital in Dar es Salaam because of an illegally induced abortion in 1997...
- Protein kinase C mediates phosphorylation, desensitization, and trafficking of the D2 dopamine receptorYoon Namkung
Molecular Neuropharmacology Section, NINDS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1406, USA
J Biol Chem 279:49533-41. 2004..protein kinase A (PKA) and protein kinase C (PKC), to mediate phosphorylation and desensitization of the D2 DAR. HEK293T cells were transiently transfected with the D2 DAR and then treated with intracellular activators and ..
- Influences of increased expression of the Ca2+ ATPase of the sarcoplasmic reticulum by a transgenic approach on cardiac contractilityW H Dillmann
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego 92093 0618, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 853:43-8. 1998..The Ca2+ ATPase of the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SERCA2) contributes in an important manner to diastolic Ca2+ lowering and relaxation of the heart...
- Causes, magnitude and management of burns in under-fives in district hospitals in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaM Justin-Temu
Dept of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, MUHAS
East Afr J Public Health 5:38-42. 2008To determine the causes, magnitude and management of burns in children under five years of age who were admitted in the district hospitals of Dar es Salaam City, Tanzania.
- Late postnatal transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection from mothers to infants in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaK Karlsson
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm
Pediatr Infect Dis J 16:963-7. 1997To study late postnatal transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in a cohort of children born to HIV-1-seropositive mothers who delivered at Muhimbili Medical Centre in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Knowledge of mosquitos in relation to public and domestic control activities in the cities of Dar es Salaam and TangaC Stephens
Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, England
Bull World Health Organ 73:97-104. 1995A study of community awareness of mosquitos and related subjects in the residential areas of two Tanzanian cities (Dar es Salaam and Tanga) showed that residents were well aware of mosquitos...
- Cardiac dysfunction occurs in the HIV-1 transgenic mouse treated with zidovudineW Lewis
Department of Pathology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio, USA
Lab Invest 80:187-97. 2000..echocardiographic studies were performed and abundance of mRNA for cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase (SERCA2), sodium calcium exchanger (NCX1), and atrial natriuretic factor were determined individually using Northern ..
- Autoreceptor mechanism regulating carotid body dopamine release from adult and 10-day-old rabbitsA Bairam
Unité de Recherche en Périnatologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, PQ, Canada
Respir Physiol 120:27-34. 2000..We tested the hypothesis that CB DAr is autoregulated in a concentration and age dependent manner. Using an in vitro CB infusion model [Bairam, A...
- Evaluation of simple rapid HIV assays and development of national rapid HIV test algorithms in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaEligius F Lyamuya
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Muhimbilli University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
BMC Infect Dis 9:19. 2009....
- [Effects of valsartan on sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium adenosine triphosphatase, protein kinase A and protein phosphatase 1 alpha in a rabbit model of heart failure]Fu Zheng Qu
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Suzhou University, Suzhou 215006, China
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 36:790-3. 2008To investigate the effects of valsartan on expressions of myocardial sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium adenosine triphosphatase (SERCA2), protein kinase A (PKA) and protein phosphatase 1 alpha (PP1alpha) in a rabbit model of heart failure.
- Defining how aging Pseudotsuga and Abies compensate for multiple stresses through multi-criteria assessment of a functional-structural modelMaureen C Kennedy
University of Washington, Quantitative Ecology and Resource Management, Seattle, WA 98195 2100, USA
Tree Physiol 30:3-22. 2010..The model for branch development that we use simulates the process of delayed adaptive reiteration (DAR), whereby new foliage grows from suppressed buds within the established branch structure...
- Localization of intracellular Ca2+ stores in HeLa cells during infection with Chlamydia trachomatisM Majeed
Divisions of Medical Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
J Cell Sci 112:35-44. 1999..type-1 inositol-1,4, 5-trisphosphate receptor (IP3-R), and Sarcoplasmic/Endoplasmic Reticulum Ca2+ ATPase type 2 (SERCA2) in HeLa cells infected with C. trachomatis serovar L2...
- Dropouts in a long-term follow-up study involving voluntary counseling and HIV testing: experience from a cohort of police officers in Dar Es Salaam, TanzaniaF Mugusi
Muhimbili Medical Centre, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:119-23. 2002..In studies with long-term follow-up, reasons for nonresponse may provide invaluable information that may be gathered through continued contact with study subjects who have withdrawn from the study...
- Myocardial gene expression alterations in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathyJoanna E Kontaraki
Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, School of Medicine, University of Crete, Crete, Greece
Eur J Heart Fail 12:541-8. 2010..To assess cardiac gene expression in peripheral blood cells of patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy (IDCM) and its relationship to echocardiographic left ventricular (LV) function...
- HIV/AIDS and injection drug use in the neighborhoods of Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaSheryl A McCurdy
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, WHO Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 82:S23-7. 2006..practices and HIV recovered from used syringes collected from 73 heroin injection drug users (IDUs) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, between October 2003 and January 2004...
- Urinary schistosomiasis in schoolchildren in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, and the factors influencing its transmissionR Ndyomugyenyi
Ministry of Health, Vector Borne Diseases, P O Box 1661, Kampala, Uganda
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 95:697-706. 2001..urinary schistosomiasis among the schoolchildren living in Kigogo administrative ward of the Kinondoni district of Dar-es-Salaam city, Tanzania, and the factors influencing the transmission of the causative agent, Schistosoma ..
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 through breast-feeding by treating infants prophylactically with lamivudine in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: the Mitra StudyCharles Kilewo
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 48:315-23. 2008..To investigate the possibility of reducing mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of HIV-1 through breast-feeding by prophylactic antiretroviral (ARV) treatment of the infant during the breast-feeding period...
- The Diels-Alder-reaction with inverse-electron-demand, a very efficient versatile click-reaction concept for proper ligation of variable molecular partnersManfred Wiessler
German Cancer Research Center, Dept of Imaging and Radiooncology, INF 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Med Sci 7:19-28. 2009..The Diels-Alder ligation Reaction with inverse electron demand (DAR(inv)) turns out to be an appropriate candidate...
- Organic liquids storage tanks volatile organic compounds (VOCS) emissions dispersion and risk assessment in developing countries: the case of Dar-es-Salaam City, TanzaniaMsafiri M Jackson
Department of Environmental Engineering, University College of Lands and Architectural Studies, P O Box 35176, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Environ Monit Assess 116:363-82. 2006..emission estimation of nine volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from eight organic liquids storage tanks companies in Dar-es-Salaam City Tanzania has been done by using US EPA standard regulatory storage tanks emission model (TANKS 4.9b)...
- Mimicking a semi-arid tropical environment achieves dormancy alleviation for seeds of Australian native Goodeniaceae and AsteraceaeG L Hoyle
Integrated Seed Research Unit, School of Land, Crop and Food Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Ann Bot 101:701-8. 2008..It was hypothesised that optimum dormancy-alleviating treatments would reflect environmental conditions that seeds experience in situ, and this premise was tested for PD seeds of four species native to south-west Qld...
- Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer reconstitutes depressed sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase levels and shortens prolonged cardiac myocyte Ca2+ transientsF J Giordano
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego in La Jolla, USA
Circulation 96:400-3. 1997Decreased expression of the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) Ca2+-ATPase of the cardiac myocyte (SERCA2) and abnormal Ca2+ regulation have been independently linked to human heart failure...
- Constraints on good child-care practices and nutritional status in urban Dar-es-Salaam, TanzaniaKissa B M Kulwa
Department of Food Science and Technology, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania
Food Nutr Bull 27:236-44. 2006..Although significant gains have been made in the fight against malnutrition in Tanzania, the nutritional status of preschool children in urban areas is not improving...
- Mechanism of doxorubicin-induced inhibition of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase gene transcriptionM Arai
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Gunma, Japan
Circ Res 86:8-14. 2000..We have recently demonstrated that expression of mRNA encoding sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase 2 (SERCA2), a major Ca(2+) transport protein in SR, is markedly decreased in DOX-treated hearts...
- Heroin and HIV risk in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: youth hangouts, mageto and injecting practicesS A McCurdy
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
AIDS Care 17:S65-76. 2005..during the months of February and July 2003 with 51 male and female injectors residing in 8 neighbourhoods in the Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Impaired cardiac performance in heterozygous mice with a null mutation in the sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2) geneM Periasamy
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
J Biol Chem 274:2556-62. 1999The sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 (SERCA2) gene encodes both SERCA2a, the cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ pump, and SERCA2b, which is expressed in all tissues...
- Roadside concentration of gaseous and particulate matter pollutants and risk assessment in Dar-es-Salaam, TanzaniaMsafiri M Jackson
Department of Environmental Engineering, University College of Lands and Architectural Studies, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania tz
Environ Monit Assess 104:385-407. 2005This study used manual air sampling method to assess the contribution of road traffic to air pollution level in Dar-es-Salaam City, Tanzania. Samples were collected from 11 different sites...
- Urban-rural contrasts in explanatory models and treatment-seeking behaviours for stroke in TanzaniaG Mshana
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza, Tanzania
J Biosoc Sci 40:35-52. 2008..project on stroke incidence, focuses on local understandings and treatment-seeking behaviours in urban (Dar-es-Salaam) and rural (Hai) areas of Tanzania...
- Occlusion among a group of Tanzanian urban schoolchildrenH Kerosuo
Division of Dentistry, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 16:306-9. 1988Occlusion and its variations were studied in a group of primary schoolchildren (n = 642, age 11-18 yr) in Dar es Salaam. Most children (96%) had Angle's Class I occlusion...
- Transcription factor Sp1 regulates SERCA2 gene expression in pressure-overloaded hearts: a study using in vivo direct gene transfer into living myocardiumTakako Takizawa
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, 3 39 15 Showa Machi, Maebashi, 371 8511, Gunma, Japan
J Mol Cell Cardiol 35:777-83. 2003Pressure-overload hypertrophy results in downregulation of the sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase pump encoding SERCA2 gene that regulates Ca(2+) uptake and myocardial relaxation...
- Modulating sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase 2 (SERCA2) activity: cell biological implicationsPeter Vangheluwe
Laboratory of Physiology, O and N Gasthuisberg, K U Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Cell Calcium 38:291-302. 2005Of the three mammalian members belonging to the sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase (SERCA) family, SERCA2 is evolutionary the oldest and shows the most wide tissue-expression pattern...
- Lithium suppresses epidermal SERCA2 and PMR1 levels in the ratNorbert Sule
Department of Pathology, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Pathol Oncol Res 12:234-6. 2006Autosomal dominant mutations in the genes encoding the calcium ATPases SERCA2 and PMRI/SPCA1 cause the genodermatoses Darier disease (DD) and Hailey-Hailey disease (HHD), respectively...
- Sexual dimorphism in canine morphologyJ Dumancic
School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
J Forensic Odontostomatol 31:44. 2013..Distal accessory ridge (DAR) of the upper and lower canines was evaluated on plaster casts using the Arizona State University (ASU) dental ..
- Isolation of three dormancy QTLs as Mendelian factors in riceX Y Gu
Department of Plant Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105, USA
Heredity (Edinb) 96:93-9. 2006..genetic background to examine component genetic effects and their interactions with time of afterripening (DAR). A BC4F2 plant, which was heterozygous for the three loci, was selected to develop the BC4F3 population...
- Distribution of SERCA isoforms in human intrafusal fibersJing Xia Liu
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Anatomy, Umea University, 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Histochem Cell Biol 120:299-306. 2003..In this study, the presence of SERCA1 and SERCA2 was investigated in human intrafusal fibers by immunocytochemistry...
- Barriers and promoters of home-based pasteurization of breastmilk among HIV-infected mothers in greater Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaSera Young
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Breastfeed Med 8:321-6. 2013..Our primary objective was to explore the barriers and promoters of the implementation of breastmilk pasteurization, "flash-heating" (FH), in the real-world setting of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Prevalence of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance-associated mutations in dhfr and dhps genes of Plasmodium falciparum three years after SP withdrawal in Bahir Dar, Northwest EthiopiaElifaged Hailemeskel
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Wollo University, Dessie, Ethiopia Electronic address
Acta Trop 128:636-41. 2013..falciparum three years after SP withdrawal in Bahir Dar, Northwest Ethiopia. A total of 165 blood spot samples were collected from patients infected with P...
- Temperature dependence of the Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA2) in the ventricles of tuna and mackerelAna M Landeira-Fernandez
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford Univ, Oceanview Blvd, Pacific Grove, CA, 93950, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 286:R398-404. 2004..The cardiac sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA2) plays a major role during cardiac excitation-contraction (E-C) coupling, transporting Ca2+ from the cytosol into ..
- PYK2 regulates SERCA2 gene expression in neonatal rat ventricular myocytesMaria C Heidkamp
The Cardiovascular Institute, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 289:C471-82. 2005..and mutant forms of PYK2 were used to determine whether PYK2 overexpression activates MAPKs, and downregulates SERCA2 mRNA levels in neonatal rat ventricular myocytes (NRVM)...
- Defining the contribution of select neuropeptides and their receptors in regulating sesquiterpenoid biosynthesis by Drosophila melanogaster ring gland/corpus allatum through RNAi analysisChristine Wang
Department of Biology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada K7L 3N6
Gen Comp Endocrinol 176:347-53. 2012..an inducible UAS-RNAi construct made to either PheGlyLeu-NH(2)-allatostatin (FGLa/AST) and its cognate receptors Dar-1 and Dar-2 or PISCF-allatostatin (PISCF/AST) or its cognate receptors Drostar-1 or Drostar-2 were expressed in ..
- Maintenance of Sensitivity of the T-SPOT.TB Assay after Overnight Storage of Blood Samples, Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaElizabeth A Talbot
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Tuberc Res Treat 2012:345290. 2012..Design. Consecutive AFB smear positive adult tuberculosis patients were prospectively recruited in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Expression of SERCA and phospholamban in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) heart: comparison of atrial and ventricular tissue and effects of thermal acclimationHanna Korajoki
University of Eastern Finland, Department of Biology, Joensuu, Finland
J Exp Biol 215:1162-9. 2012..Quantitative PCR (SERCA only) and antibodies raised against SERCA and PLN were used to determine abundances of SERCA2 transcripts and SERCA and PLN proteins, respectively, in atrium and ventricle of trout acclimated to cold (+4°C, ..
- SERCA2-controlled Ca²+-dependent keratinocyte adhesion and differentiation is mediated via the sphingolipid pathway: a therapeutic target for Darier's diseaseAnna Celli
Department of Dermatology, San Francisco Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121 1545, USA
J Invest Dermatol 132:1188-95. 2012..levels increase and sphingosine kinase (SPHK1) expression decreases after inactivating SERCA2b with the specific SERCA2 inhibitors thapsigargin (TG) or small interfering RNA to SERCA2b...
- Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance profiles of Salmonella enterica serovars isolated from slaughtered cattle in Bahir Dar, EthiopiaSefinew Alemu
Department of Clinical Medicine and Epidemiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia
Trop Anim Health Prod 44:595-600. 2012..and carcass swab samples (each n = 186) were collected from 186 apparently healthy slaughtered cattle at Bahir Dar abattoir...
- Cardiovascular risk factors in Tanzania: a revisitM Njelekela
Department of Life Science, Environmental Conservation and Development, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Yoshida nihonmatsu cho, Sakyo ku, 606 8501, Kyoto, Japan
Acta Trop 79:231-9. 2001..The survey was carried out in Dar es Salaam (D, urban), Handeni (H, rural) and Monduli (Mo, semi-nomadic area)...
- Exclusion of the Darier's disease gene, ATP2A2, as a common susceptibility gene for bipolar disorderN J Jacobsen
Neuropsychiatric Genetics Unit, Division of Psychological Medicine, Tenovus Building, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Mol Psychiatry 6:92-7. 2001..In this study we have investigated the Darier's disease gene ATP2A2, the calcium pumping ATPase SERCA2, as a potential susceptibility gene for bipolar disorder under the hypothesis that variations in SERCA2 have ..
- Plasticity and adaptation of Ca2+ signaling and Ca2+-dependent exocytosis in SERCA2(+/-) miceX S Zhao
Department of Physiology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9040, USA
EMBO J 20:2680-9. 2001Darier's disease (DD) is a high penetrance, autosomal dominant mutation in the ATP2A2 gene, which encodes the SERCA2 Ca2+ pump...
- Pharmacological characterization of 2-methoxy-N-propylnorapomorphine's interactions with D2 and D3 dopamine receptorsMette Skinbjerg
Molecular Neuropharmacology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9405, USA
Synapse 63:462-75. 2009..was found to robustly inhibit forskolin-stimulated cAMP accumulation to the same extent as dopamine in D(2) or D(3) DAR-transfected cells, indicating that it is a full agonist at both receptors...
- Prevalence of teeth with untreated dental trauma among nursery and primary school pupils in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaF K Kahabuka
Faculty of Dentistry, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Dent Traumatol 17:109-13. 2001..study was to investigate the prevalence of teeth with untreated dental trauma among children aged 4-15 years in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Platelet and cardiac function in Darier's diseaseS Tavadia
Department of Dermatology, Royal Infirmary, Castle Street, Glasgow G4 OSF, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 26:696-9. 2001ATP2A2, the gene that is abnormal in Darier's disease, encodes SERCA2, a calcium pump that is expressed in many tissues. The wide expression of SERCA2 might suggest that ATP2A2 mutations would cause a multisystem disease...
- Assessing acceptability of parents/guardians of adolescents towards introduction of sex and reproductive health education in schools at Kinondoni Municipal in Dar es Salaam cityLumuli Mbonile
School of Medicine, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences MUHAS, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
East Afr J Public Health 5:26-31. 2008..To assess acceptability of parents/guardians of adolescents towards the introduction of sex and reproductive health education in the community and schools...
- Oral health status of handicapped primary school pupils in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaE N M Simon
Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, P O Box 65014, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
East Afr Med J 85:113-7. 2008..Determination of their oral health status could help in planning sustainable intervention programmes for this disadvantaged group...
- Moderate heart dysfunction in mice with inducible cardiomyocyte-specific excision of the Serca2 geneKristin Brevik Andersson
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Ullevaal University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
J Mol Cell Cardiol 47:180-7. 2009The sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum calcium ATPase 2 (SERCA2) transports Ca(2+) from cytosol into the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) of cardiomyocytes, thereby maintaining the store of releasable Ca(2+) necessary for contraction...
- Elevated Ca2+ ATPase (SERCA2) activity in tuna hearts: comparative aspects of temperature dependencePedro C Castilho
Tuna Research and Conservation Center, Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, California 93950, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 148:124-32. 2007..The cardiac SR Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA2) plays a major role during cardiac excitation-contraction (E-C) coupling...
- High frequency of partial DIIIa and DAR alleles found in sickle cell disease patients suggests increased risk of alloimmunization to RhDL Castilho
Hemocentro Unicamp, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Transfus Med 15:49-55. 2005We have set out to determine the frequency of DIIIa and DAR alleles among sickle cell disease (SCD) patients. These D variants permit the unexpected development of antibodies to RhD among individuals who are otherwise classified as RhD+...
- Distribution of blood pressure, body mass index and smoking habits in the urban population of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and associations with socioeconomic statusPascal Bovet
University Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Lausanne, Switzerland
Int J Epidemiol 31:240-7. 2002..To estimate the distribution of blood pressure (BP), body mass index (BMI), smoking habits and their associations with socioeconomic status (SES) in an urban population in early epidemiological transition...
- A tool box for operational mosquito larval control: preliminary results and early lessons from the Urban Malaria Control Programme in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaUlrike Fillinger
Durham University, School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, South Road, Durham DH13LE, UK
Malar J 7:20. 2008..As the population of Africa rapidly urbanizes, large populations could be protected from malaria by controlling aquatic stages of mosquitoes if cost-effective and scalable implementation systems can be designed...
- Evaluation of self-care practices and emotional distress among people with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaTheobald C E Mosha
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania
Ecol Food Nutr 48:89-111. 2009..determine self-care practices and diabetes related emotional distress among people with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Bacteria isolated from bloodstream infections at a tertiary hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania--antimicrobial resistance of isolatesS Moyo
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
S Afr Med J 100:835-8. 2010A bloodstream infection (BSI) is a life-threatening condition. We studied the causative agents of BSIs and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacterial isolates at Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Sodium-calcium exchanger and lipid rafts in pig coronary artery smooth muscleIwona Kuszczak
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1808:589-96. 2011..smooth muscle expresses, among many other proteins, Na+-Ca²+-exchanger NCX1 and sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca²+ pump SERCA2. NCX1 has been proposed to play a role in refilling the sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca²+ pool suggesting a functional ..
- Partnership on Nutrition and HIV/AIDS Research in Tanza*Wafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2006..The program will be carried out as a collaborative effort between Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania and the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA.
- NUTRITION, IMMUNOLOGY, AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF TBWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2004..e. for a total of 20 months). Consenting subjects who present to 2 TB clinics in Dar es Salaam seeking care for respiratory illness will be screened for TB and HIV infection and invited to participate ..
- HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNITWafaie Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2004Harvard University (Boston, MA) and Muhmbili University (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania) have been involved in collaborative research for over 2 decades...
- The effect of ART on sexual risk behavior in Chennai, IndiaCaitlin Kennedy; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study examines the effect of ART on sexual risk behavior among HIV-positive individuals in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Tanzania Injection Drug Use/HIV Prevention ProjectMark Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..TAPP builds on research we have been conducting for the past two years in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- African Organization for Reseach and Training in Cancer (AORTIC) Seventh InternatSulma Mohammed; Fiscal Year: 2009..It will be held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 11-14 November 2009...
- ADH and ALDH2 Genes in Tanzanian PopulationsKenneth Kidd; Fiscal Year: 2007..the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Hubert Kairuki Memorial University Faculty of Medicine, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- HIV/AIDS and TB Research Training in TanzaniaFerdinand Mugusi; Fiscal Year: 2005Project Plan This is an application by Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS), Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for a planning grant from Fogarty International Center that will help, develop short, intermediate and long-term ..
- Identifying Venues and Strategies to Prevent Violence and HIVSuzanne Maman; Fiscal Year: 2009..and characterize venues where men, 15-19 years at high risk for HIV acquisition and transmission, socialize in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania...
- Thyroid Hormone Receptor Function in Cardiac HypertrophyKaie Ojamaa; Fiscal Year: 2006..binding isoform, TR alpha 2,has the unique ability to repress T3-inducible transcription of cardiac alpha-MHC and SERCA2 genes...
- Measuring Oral Disease Burden for Planning ServicesMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2003..The principal investigator is based in Houston, Texas (USA) and the collaborators are based in Cape Town (South Africa), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), and London (UK).
- Desmoplakin Assembly and Function in EpidermisKATHLEEN JANEE GREEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..signaling regulate DP trafficking to desmosomes by analyzing DP assembly behavior in keratinocytes in which ATP2A2/SERCA2 is impaired pharmacologically or by Darier's disease mutations or RNAi-mediated knock down;and 4...