Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RAD21
Description: RAD21 homolog (S. pombe)
Alias: CDLS4, HR21, HRAD21, MCD1, NXP1, SCC1, hHR21, NXP-1, SCC1 homolog, double-strand-break repair protein rad21 homolog, nuclear matrix protein 1, protein involved in DNA double-strand break repair, sister chromatid cohesion 1
Publications158 found, 100 shown here
- Analysis of spontaneous and double-strand break-induced recombination in rad mutants of S. pombeE A Fortunato
Department of Biology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0322, USA
Mutat Res 364:14-60. 1996..cerevisiae RAD3) and rad10 (homologue of S. cerevisiae RAD1) involved in nucleotide excision repair; rad21 and rad22 (homologue of S. cerevisiae RAD52) involved in the repair of ionizing radiation-induced DNA damage...
- Cohesin cleavage by separase required for anaphase and cytokinesis in human cellsS Hauf
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Science 293:1320-3. 2001..We have identified two separase cleavage sites in the human cohesin subunit SCC1 and have conditionally expressed noncleavable SCC1 mutants in human cells...
- Sequence conservation of the rad21 Schizosaccharomyces pombe DNA double-strand break repair gene in human and mouseM J McKay
MGC Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, 3000DR, The Netherlands
Genomics 36:305-15. 1996..The mHR21(sp) (mouse homolog of Rad21, S. pombe) and hHR21(sp) (human homolog of Rad21, S. pombe) predicted proteins were 96% identical, whereas the human and S...
- Caspase proteolysis of the cohesin component RAD21 promotes apoptosisFeng Chen
Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 277:16775-81. 2002..Using an expression cloning strategy we recently developed, we isolated human RAD21/SCC1/MCD1 as a novel caspase substrate...
- Cohesin defects lead to premature sister chromatid separation, kinetochore dysfunction, and spindle-assembly checkpoint activationMd Tozammel Hoque
Laboratory of Cell Cycle Regulation, Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:42306-14. 2002b>Scc1/Mcd1 is a component of the cohesin complex that plays an essential role in sister chromatid cohesion in eukaryote cells...
- Rec8p, a meiotic recombination and sister chromatid cohesion phosphoprotein of the Rad21p family conserved from fission yeast to humansS Parisi
Institute of General Microbiology, University of Bern, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 19:3515-28. 1999Our work and that of others defined mitosis-specific (Rad21 subfamily) and meiosis-specific (Rec8 subfamily) proteins involved in sister chromatid cohesion in several eukaryotes, including humans...
- Metazoan Scc4 homologs link sister chromatid cohesion to cell and axon migration guidanceVlad C Seitan
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
PLoS Biol 4:e242. 2006....
- Human chromatid cohesin component hRad21 is phosphorylated in M phase and associated with metaphase centromeresM T Hoque
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama, 226 8501, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:5059-67. 2001..b>hRad21 is a nuclear phosphorylated protein...
- Identification and characterization of SA/Scc3p subunits in the Xenopus and human cohesin complexesA Losada
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
J Cell Biol 150:405-16. 2000..These results shed light on the mechanism by which sister chromatid cohesion is partially dissolved in early mitosis, far before the onset of anaphase, in vertebrate cells...
- Characterization of vertebrate cohesin complexes and their regulation in prophaseI Sumara
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 151:749-62. 2000..Both complexes contain SMC1, SMC3, SCC1, and either one of the yeast Scc3p orthologs SA1 and SA2. SA1 is also a subunit of 14S cohesin in Xenopus...
- Cohesins determine the attachment manner of kinetochores to spindle microtubules at meiosis I in fission yeastShihori Yokobayashi
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 23:3965-73. 2003..A multisubunit complex called cohesin, including Rad21/Scc1, plays a crucial role in sister chromatid cohesion and equational segregation at mitosis...
- Sequential loading of cohesin subunits during the first meiotic prophase of grasshoppersAna M Valdeolmillos
Departamento de Biologia, Edificio de Biológicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Genet 3:e28. 2007..its localization resembles the location of the unsynapsed axial elements, whereas radiation-sensitive mutant 21 (RAD21) (sister chromatid cohesion protein 1, SCC1) and stromal antigen protein 1 (SA1) (sister chromatid cohesion ..
- Cohesin Is limiting for the suppression of DNA damage-induced recombination between homologous chromosomesShay Covo
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences NIEHS, National Institutes of Health NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1001006. 2010..Unlike RAD50 and RAD51, which play a direct role in HR, a 4-fold reduction in the number of essential MCD1 sister chromatid cohesion subunit genes affected survival of gamma-irradiated G(2)/M cells...
- A Caenorhabditis elegans cohesion protein with functions in meiotic chromosome pairing and disjunctionP Pasierbek
Department of Cytology and Genetics, Institute of Botany, University of Vienna, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Genes Dev 15:1349-60. 2001We have studied four Caenorhabditis elegans homologs of the Rad21/Scc1/Rec8 sister-chromatid cohesion protein family. Based on the RNAi phenotype and protein localization, it is concluded that one of them, W02A2...
- Changes in the expression and localization of cohesin subunits during meiosis in a non-mammalian vertebrate, the medaka fishToshiharu Iwai
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0810, Japan
Gene Expr Patterns 4:495-504. 2004..subunits during meiosis in non-mammalian species, we isolated cDNA clones encoding SMC1alpha, SMC1beta, SMC3 and Rad21 in the medaka and produced antibodies against recombinant proteins...
- Separase is required for chromosome segregation during meiosis I in Caenorhabditis elegansM F Siomos
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohrgasse 7, Vienna 1030, Austria
Curr Biol 11:1825-35. 2001..mechanism removes cohesin along chromosome arms during prophase, while the proteolytic cleavage of cohesin's Scc1 subunit by separase removes centromeric cohesin at anaphase...
- Two putative acetyltransferases, san and deco, are required for establishing sister chromatid cohesion in DrosophilaByron C Williams
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 427 Biotechnology Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Curr Biol 13:2025-36. 2003..However, many aspects of the mechanisms that establish and maintain cohesion during mitosis remain unclear...
- The budding yeast cohesin gene SCC1/MCD1/RHC21 genetically interacts with PKA, CDK and APCS J Heo
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Tokyo, Japan
Curr Genet 36:329-38. 1999..chromatid cohesion, we have isolated multicopy suppressors of a temperature-sensitive (ts) mutation in the SCC1/MCD1/RHC21 gene which encodes a component of the cohesin complex in budding yeast...
- Faithful anaphase is ensured by Mis4, a sister chromatid cohesion molecule required in S phase and not destroyed in G1 phaseK Furuya
CREST Research Project, Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606, Japan
Genes Dev 12:3408-18. 1998The loss of sister chromatid cohesion triggers anaphase spindle movement. The budding yeast Mcd1/Scc1 protein, called cohesin, is required for associating chromatids, and proteins homologous to it exist in a variety of eukaryotes...
- Requirement of chromatid cohesion proteins rad21/scc1 and mis4/scc2 for normal spindle-kinetochore interaction in fission yeastYusuke Toyoda
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, 606 8502, Kyoto, Japan
Curr Biol 12:347-58. 2002..The failure to form cohesion in the S phase results in premature separation of chromatids in G2/M. Mitotic kinetochores free from microtubules or the lack of tension are known to activate spindle checkpoint...
- Studies on substrate recognition by the budding yeast separaseMatt Sullivan
Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Lincoln s Inn Fields Laboratories, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:1191-6. 2004Sister chromatid cohesion is resolved at anaphase onset when separase, a site-specific protease, cleaves the Scc1 subunit of the chromosomal cohesin complex that is responsible for holding sister chromatids together...
- Positive regulation of c-Myc by cohesin is direct, and evolutionarily conservedJenny M Rhodes
Department of Pathology, Dunedin School of Medicine, The University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Dev Biol 344:637-49. 2010..We analyzed zebrafish embryos null for cohesin subunit rad21 using microarrays to determine global effects of cohesin on gene expression during embryogenesis...
- Cdc48 is required for the stability of Cut1/separase in mitotic anaphaseNobuyasu Ikai
Department of Gene Mechanism, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Struct Biol 156:50-61. 2006Separase, a large protease essential for sister chromatid separation, cleaves the cohesin subunit Scc1/Rad21 during anaphase and leads to dissociation of the link between sister chromatids...
- The spindle midzone microtubule-associated proteins Ase1p and Cin8p affect the number and orientation of astral microtubules in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeArmand de Gramont
The Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, The National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cell Cycle 6:1231-41. 2007..When budding yeast cells express the non-cleavable cohesin subunit, Scc1-RRDD, sister chromatid separation is blocked, preventing the spindle from elongating...
- Eco1 is a novel acetyltransferase that can acetylate proteins involved in cohesionDmitri Ivanov
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030, Vienna, Austria
Curr Biol 12:323-8. 2002..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a complex consisting of Scc1, Smc1, Smc3, and Scc3 proteins, called "cohesin," mediates the connection between sister chromatids...
- Localization of human SMC1 protein at kinetochoresHeather C Gregson
University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine, Department of Biological Chemistry, 240D Med Sci I, Irvine, CA 92697 1700, USA
Chromosome Res 10:267-77. 2002..of the structural maintenance of chromosomes (SMC) family proteins, hSMC1 and hSMC3, and non-SMC components, hRAD21 and SA1 (or SA2)...
- Identification and characterization of a type III secretion system in Chlamydophila psittaciDelphine Sylvie Anne Beeckman
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Vet Res 39:27. 2008..Unfortunately, SctN was not investigated with this technique. Additionally, we sequenced 14 full-length T3S genes (scc1, sctW, sctJ, sctL, sctR, sctS, scc2, copD1, sctN, sctQ, sctC, incA, ca037, and cadd) and examined the transcription ..
- Cell cycle mechanisms of sister chromatid separation; roles of Cut1/separin and Cut2/securinM Yanagida
Department of Gene Mechanisms, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Genes Cells 5:1-8. 2000..In the budding yeast, Esp1/separin is thought to be a component of proteolysis against Scc1, an essential subunit of cohesin which is thought to link duplicated sister chromatids up to the anaphase...
- Involvement of the cohesin Rad21 and SCP3 in monopolar attachment of sister kinetochores during mouse meiosis IMaría Teresa Parra
Departamento de Biologia, Edificio de Biológicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Cell Sci 117:1221-34. 2004..We have analysed the behaviour of SCP3 and the cohesin subunit Rad21 in mouse spermatocytes by means of a squashing technique...
- Identification of an ISR-related metabolite produced by rhizobacterium Klebsiella oxytoca C1036 active against soft-rot disease pathogen in tobaccoMyung Ryeol Park
Division of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, Environmentally Friendly Agriculture Research Centre, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Pest Manag Sci 65:1114-7. 2009..carotovorum SCC1 (SCC1). However, microbial metabolites from C1036 involved in ISR activity remain unknown...
- Cohesin component dynamics during meiotic prophase I in mammalian oocytesIgnacio Prieto
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, UAM Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Chromosome Res 12:197-213. 2004..Mitotic cohesin subunit RAD21 is also found in fibers that decorate the SC during prophase I in mouse oocytes, suggesting a role for this ..
- Pds5 is required for homologue pairing and inhibits synapsis of sister chromatids during yeast meiosisHui Jin
Department of Biological Science, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
J Cell Biol 186:713-25. 2009..In addition, meiotic chromosomes undergo hypercondensation. When the mitotic cohesin subunit Mcd1 is substituted for Rec8 in Pds5-depleted cells, chromosomes still hypercondense, but synapsis of sister chromatids ..
- Cohesin's ATPase activity is stimulated by the C-terminal Winged-Helix domain of its kleisin subunitPrakash Arumugam
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Curr Biol 16:1998-2008. 2006..Cohesin consists of four core subunits, namely Smc1, Smc3, Scc1, and Scc3...
- Degradation of a cohesin subunit by the N-end rule pathway is essential for chromosome stabilityH Rao
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 410:955-9. 2001..the metaphase-anaphase transition in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the ESP1-encoded protease separin cleaves SCC1, a subunit of cohesin with a relative molecular mass of 63,000 (Mr 63K)...
- Cell-type-specific TEV protease cleavage reveals cohesin functions in Drosophila neuronsAndrea Pauli
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Dev Cell 14:239-51. 2008..At the metaphase to anaphase transition, proteolytic cleavage of the alpha kleisin subunit (Rad21) by separase causes cohesin's dissociation from chromosomes and triggers sister-chromatid disjunction...
- In vivo analysis of cohesin architecture using FRET in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJohn Mc Intyre
Chromosome Segregation Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, London, UK
EMBO J 26:3783-93. 2007..The circumference consists of the Smc1 and Smc3 subunits, while Scc1 is thought to close the ring by bridging the Smc (structural maintenance of chromosomes) ATPase head domains...
- Length control of the metaphase spindleGohta Goshima
Physiology Course 2004, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Curr Biol 15:1979-88. 2005..Although a number of molecular perturbations have been shown to influence spindle length, a global understanding of the factors that determine metaphase spindle length has not been achieved...
- Cohesion establishment factor, Eco1 represses transcription via association with histone demethylase, LSD1Hyun Kyung Choi
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 394:1063-8. 2010..Eco1 acetylates Smc3 and Mcd1 (Rad21) to establish cohesion during S phase and in response to DNA damage, respectively...
- Transcription of cholesterol side-chain cleavage cytochrome P450 in the placenta: activating protein-2 assumes the role of steroidogenic factor-1 by binding to an overlapping promoter elementMicha Ben-Zimra
Department of Biological Chemistry, Institute of Life Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel 91904
Mol Endocrinol 16:1864-80. 2002..To address this possibility, we used SCC1, a well conserved proximal region in the P450scc genes (-60/-32 in the rat gene) to purify PNF from human term ..
- A role for Drosophila Polo protein in chromosome resolution and segregation during mitosisSusana Godinho
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Oeiras, Portugal
Cell Cycle 7:2529-34. 2008..that chromosomes lose cohesion completely, by proteolysis of the component of the cohesin complex Scc1 (Sister chromatid cohesion 1)...
- Overexpression of Separase induces aneuploidy and mammary tumorigenesisNenggang Zhang
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Texas Children s Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13033-8. 2008Separase is an endopeptidase that separates sister chromatids by cleaving cohesin Rad21 during the metaphase-to-anaphase transition...
- Interaction of APC/C-E3 ligase with Swi6/HP1 and Clr4/Suv39 in heterochromatin assembly in fission yeastRudra Narayan Dubey
Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector 39A, Chandigarh 160036, India
J Biol Chem 284:7165-76. 2009..isopeptide ligase (E3 ligase) followed by degradation of Cut2 releases Cut1, which cleaves the Rad21 subunit of Cohesin, facilitating sister chromatid separation during mitosis...
- Suppression of interleukin 6 and 8 production in head and neck cancer cells with curcumin via inhibition of Ikappa beta kinaseAlen N Cohen
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1624, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:190-7. 2009..Interleukin 6 and IL-8 are cytokines induced by NF-kappa beta activation with elevated levels in the serum of patients with HNSCC...
- Hos1 is a lysine deacetylase for the Smc3 subunit of cohesinBo Xiong
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Curr Biol 20:1660-5. 2010..is established during S phase, and this process requires the four subunits of the cohesin complex (Smc1, Smc3, Mcd1/Scc1, and Irr1/Scc3) and the acetyltransferase Eco1 [10-13]...
- The Drosophila RAD21 cohesin persists at the centromere region in mitosisW D Warren
Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, St Andrews Place, East, Victoria 3002, Melbourne, Australia
Curr Biol 10:1463-6. 2000..We conclude that in Drosophila, and possibly all metazoans, a minor pool of cohesin remains bound to centromere-proximal chromatin after prophase and maintains sister-chromatid cohesion until the metaphase-anaphase transition...
- Separase-mediated cleavage of cohesin at interphase is required for DNA repairKoji Nagao
Department of Biophysics, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Nature 430:1044-8. 2004..10) mutants were additive with cut2(EA2), whereas recombination repair rhp51 (ref. 11) and cohesin subunit rad21 (ref. 12) mutants were not. Cohesin was hyper-modified on ultraviolet irradiation in a Rad3 kinase-dependent way...
- Cohesin is dispensable for centromere cohesion in human cellsLaura A Diaz Martinez
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e318. 2007..Proper regulation of the cohesion at the centromeres of human chromosomes is essential for accurate genome transmission. Exactly how cohesion is maintained and is then dissolved in anaphase is not understood...
- A model for ATP hydrolysis-dependent binding of cohesin to DNAStefan Weitzer
Chromosome Segregation Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Lincoln s Inn Fields Laboratories, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 13:1930-40. 2003..The mechanism by which cohesin binds to DNA, and how sister chromatid cohesion is established, is unknown...
- A nucleus-encoded suppressor defines a new factor which can promote petD mRNA stability in the chloroplast of Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiD Esposito
Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Curr Genet 39:40-8. 2001Mutations in the Chlamydomonas reinhardtii nuclear gene MCD1 specifically destabilize the chloroplast petD mRNA, which encodes subunit IV of the cytochrome b6/f complex...
- Roles of human AND-1 in chromosome transactions in S phaseNaoko Yoshizawa-Sugata
Genome Dynamics Project, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, 2 1 6 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8506, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:20718-28. 2009..Furthermore, AND-1 interacts with cohesin proteins Smc1, Smc3, and Rad21/Scc1, consistent with proposed roles of yeast counterparts of AND-1 in sister chromatid cohesion...
- Regulation of initiation of S phase, replication checkpoint signaling, and maintenance of mitotic chromosome structures during S phase by Hsk1 kinase in the fission yeastT Takeda
Departments of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 12:1257-74. 2001..of proper chromatin structures during mitotic S phase through regulating the functions of Rad3 (ATM)-Cds1 and Rad21 (cohesin), respectively, in addition to expected essential roles for initiation of mitotic DNA replication through ..
- Chromosome elimination in the interspecific hybrid medaka between Oryzias latipes and O. hubbsiC Sakai
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Faculty of Advanced Life Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 0810, Japan
Chromosome Res 15:697-709. 2007..gamma-tubulin, inner centromere protein, Cdc20, Mad2, phospho-histone H3 and cohesin subunits (SMC1alpha, SMC3 and Rad21) showed that the expression patterns of these proteins in the hybrid embryos are similar to those in the wild-type ..
- Genes and chromosomal breakpoints in the Langer-Giedion syndrome region on human chromosome 8H J Ludecke
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
Hum Genet 105:619-28. 1999..aim to identify the TRPS1 gene, we analyzed 23 human expressed sequence tags (ESTs) and four genes (EIF3S3, RAD21, OPG, CXIV) which had been assigned to human 8q24.1...
- Fate of embryonal carcinoma cells injected into postimplantation mouse embryosSimonetta Astigiano
S S Animali Transgenici, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Differentiation 73:484-90. 2005..embryonic environment to "normalize" tumorigenic cells, and to study their homing, we transplanted F9, Nulli-SCC1, and P19 EC cells into 8 to 15-day allogenic CD1 mouse embryos, into allogenic CD1 newborns, and into syngeneic ..
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma: genome-wide expression patterns reflecting general resistance mechanisms and a proposal of novel targetsOluf Dimitri Røe
Department of Oncology, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Lung Cancer 67:57-68. 2010..We propose CHEK1, RAD21, FANCD2 and RAN as new co-targets for mesothelioma treatment...
- Characterization of gene expression profile associated with energy restriction-induced cold tolerance of heartYasuhiko Wada
Department of Hygiene, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, 663 8501, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 59:313-6. 2002..Gene expression analysis using cDNA array was useful for screening genes associated with ER-induced cold adaptation...
- Plant-specific protein MCD1 determines the site of chloroplast division in concert with bacteria-derived MinDHiromitsu Nakanishi
Initiative Research Program, Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Curr Biol 19:151-6. 2009..Here we show that a plant-specific protein MULTIPLE CHLOROPLAST DIVISION SITE 1 (MCD1) regulates FtsZ ring positioning in Arabidopsis thaliana chloroplasts...
- ATP7B detoxifies silver in ciliated airway epithelial cellsAida Ibricevic
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 243:315-22. 2010..Toward this goal, we previously developed a methylated caffeine silver acetate compound, SCC1, that exhibits broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity against clinical strains of bacteria in vitro and when ..
- Centriole separation in DNA damage-induced centrosome amplificationChiara Saladino
Centre for Chromosome Biology, Department of Biochemistry and NCBES, National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
Environ Mol Mutagen 50:725-32. 2009..amplification occurs after ionising radiation (IR) in chicken DT40 cells that lack DNA-PK, Ku70, H2AX, Xpa, and Scc1, demonstrating that these activities are not required for centrosome amplification...
- Sister-chromatid telomere cohesion is nonredundant and resists both spindle forces and telomere motilityLisa M Antoniacci
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015, USA
Curr Biol 16:902-6. 2006..Results from both mcd1 and ctf7 mutant cells show that nearly 100% of telomeres separate prior to anaphase, twice the cohesion defect ..
- REP3-mediated silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeLaurie Ann Papacs
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut 06459, USA
Genetics 166:79-87. 2004..associates with REP3; we show that REP3 silencing is also decreased in strains bearing a mutated allele of the MCD1/SCC1 cohesin gene...
- GacS-dependent production of 2R, 3R-butanediol by Pseudomonas chlororaphis O6 is a major determinant for eliciting systemic resistance against Erwinia carotovora but not against Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci in tobaccoSong Hee Han
Agricultural Plant Stress Research Center, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 19:924-30. 2006..carotovora SCC1, causing soft-rot, and Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci, causing wildfire...
- Assaying the spindle checkpoint in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeChristopher M Yellman
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottsville, USA
Methods Mol Biol 280:275-90. 2004..sister chromatid separation using GFP-tagged chromosomes, Pds1 stability using immunofluorescence, and Mcd1/Scc1 association with chromatin using chromosome spreads...
- The Arabidopsis SYN1 cohesin protein is required for sister chromatid arm cohesion and homologous chromosome pairingXue Cai
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
J Cell Sci 116:2999-3007. 2003..is mediated, in large part, by the cohesin complex, which consists of four highly conserved proteins: SMC1, SMC3, SCC1/REC8 and SCC3...
- Analysis of Scc1-deficient cells defines a key metaphase role of vertebrate cohesin in linking sister kinetochoresPaola Vagnarelli
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, Swann Building, King s Buildings, University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
EMBO Rep 5:167-71. 2004Cleavage of the cohesin subunit Scc1p/Mcd1p/Rad21 permits sister chromatid separation and is considered to trigger anaphase onset...
- Identification of genes induced by BRCA1 in breast cancer cellsArzu Atalay
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, Bilkent University, 06533 Ankara, Turkey
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299:839-46. 2002..Of particular interest, BRCA1 gene induces the expression of genes encoding DNA repair proteins RAD21 and MSH2, ERBB2/HER2 interacting protein ERBIN, meningioma-associated protein MAC30, and a candidate ovarian ..
- A novel alpha-helical protein, specific to and highly conserved in plants, is associated with the nuclear matrix fractionAnnkatrin Rose
Plant Biotechnology Center and Department of Plant Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Exp Bot 54:1133-41. 2003A cDNA for a novel plant protein was isolated from tomato. Nuclear Matrix Protein 1 (NMP1) is a ubiquitously expressed 36 kDa protein, which has no homologues in animals and fungi, but is highly conserved among flowering and non-flowering ..
- Cohesin is required for activation of MYC by estradiolMiranda V McEwan
Department of Pathology, Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
PLoS ONE 7:e49160. 2012..We found that siRNA-targeted depletion of a cohesin subunit, RAD21, decreased MYC expression in ER-positive (MCF7 and T47D) and ER-negative (MDA-MB-231) breast cancer cell lines...
- Interaction of Sororin protein with polo-like kinase 1 mediates resolution of chromosomal arm cohesionNenggang Zhang
Texas Children s Cancer and Hematology Center, Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 286:41826-37. 2011....
- Role of helicase-like transcription factor (hltf) in the G2/m transition and apoptosis in brainRebecca A Helmer
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e66799. 2013..Hltf null brains have reduced transcript levels for Rad21/Scc1, histone H3.3, Cap-E/Smc2, Cap-G/G2, and Aurora B kinase...
- Cohesin regulates tissue-specific expression by stabilizing highly occupied cis-regulatory modulesAndre J Faure
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Genome Res 22:2163-75. 2012..Evidence from these statistical analyses in wild-type cells, and comparisons to maps of TF binding in Rad21-cohesin haploinsufficient mouse liver, suggests that cohesin helps to stabilize large protein-DNA complexes...
- Dynamics of cohesin subunits in grasshopper meiotic divisionsA Calvente
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Edificio de Biológicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Chromosoma 122:77-91. 2013..maintenance of chromosomes protein family (SMC) subunits and two non-SMC subunits: an α-kleisin subunit SCC1/RAD21/REC8 and an SCC3-like protein...
- Protein Kinase C ε , Which Is Linked to Ultraviolet Radiation-Induced Development of Squamous Cell Carcinomas, Stimulates Rapid Turnover of Adult Hair Follicle Stem CellsAshok Singh
Department of Human Oncology, Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research, School of Medicine and Public Health, 1111 Highland Avenue, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Skin Cancer 2013:452425. 2013..A comparison of gene expression profiles of FACS sorted double positive HSCs showed increased expression of Pes1, Rad21, Tfdp1 and Cks1b genes in TG mice compared to WT mice...
- Association between somatic cell count early in the first lactation and the lifetime milk yield of cows in Irish dairy herdsS C Archer
University of Nottingham, School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, Sutton Bonington Campus, Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire, LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
J Dairy Sci 96:2951-9. 2013..of this study was to assess the association between somatic cell count (SCC) at 5 to 30 d in milk during parity 1 (SCC1), and lifetime milk yield for cows in Irish dairy herds...
- Bioactive phytochemical proanthocyanidins inhibit growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells by targeting multiple signaling moleculesRam Prasad
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e46404. 2012..Treatment of human HNSCC cell lines from different sub-sites, such as oral cavity (SCC1), larynx (SCC5), tongue (OSC19) and pharynx (FaDu), with grape seed proanthocyanidins (GSPs) reduced their cell ..
- HDAC8 mutations in Cornelia de Lange syndrome affect the cohesin acetylation cycleMatthew A Deardorff
Division of Human Genetics and Molecular Biology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 489:313-7. 2012..In humans, the multisubunit complex cohesin is made up of SMC1, SMC3, RAD21 and a STAG protein...
- Genome-wide functional screen identifies a compendium of genes affecting sensitivity to tamoxifenAna M Mendes-Pereira
Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, Division of Breast Cancer Research, Institute of Cancer Research, London SW3 6JB, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:2730-5. 2012..of genes whose silencing causes tamoxifen resistance (including BAP1, CLPP, GPRC5D, NAE1, NF1, NIPBL, NSD1, RAD21, RARG, SMC3, and UBA3) and also a set of genes whose silencing causes sensitivity to this endocrine agent (..
- RAD21 mutations cause a human cohesinopathyMatthew A Deardorff
Division of Genetics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Hum Genet 90:1014-27. 2012..Here we show that human mutations in the integral cohesin structural protein RAD21 result in a congenital phenotype consistent with a "cohesinopathy...
- Cohesin promotes the repair of ionizing radiation-induced DNA double-strand breaks in replicated chromatinChristina Bauerschmidt
Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7DQ, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 38:477-87. 2010..Our goal was to determine whether the cohesin subunits SMC1 and Rad21 contribute to DNA double-strand break repair in X-irradiated human cells in the G2 phase of the cell cycle...
- Centrosomal Aki1 and cohesin function in separase-regulated centriole disengagementAkito Nakamura
Cancer Chemotherapy Center, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
J Cell Biol 187:607-14. 2009Sister chromatid separation at anaphase is triggered by cleavage of the cohesin subunit Scc1, which is mediated by separase. Centriole disengagement also requires separase...
- A wave of nascent transcription on activated human genesYouichiro Wada
Laboratory for Systems Biology and Medicine, Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18357-61. 2009..the appearance of nascent RNA, changes in binding of Pol II and two insulators (the cohesin subunit RAD21 and the CCCTC-binding factor CTCF), and modifications of histone H3...
- Adenovirus protein E4orf4 induces premature APCCdc20 activation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by a protein phosphatase 2A-dependent mechanismMelissa Z Mui
Department of Biochemistry, the Goodman Cancer Centre, McGill University, McIntyre Medical Building, Room 822, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
J Virol 84:4798-809. 2010..E4orf4 expression correlates with the inappropriate reduction of Pds1 and Scc1 in S-phase-arrested cells...
- The cohesin complex: sequence homologies, interaction networks and shared motifsS Jones
Computational Genome Analysis Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3PX, UK
Genome Biol 2:RESEARCH0009. 2001..cohesin complex comprises at least two classes of SMC (structural maintenance of chromosomes) proteins - Smc1 and Smc3 - and two SCC (sister-chromatid cohesion) proteins - Scc1 and Scc3. The exact function of these proteins is unknown.
- Both interaction surfaces within cohesin's hinge domain are essential for its stable chromosomal associationAjay Mishra
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Curr Biol 20:279-89. 2010The cohesin complex that mediates sister chromatid cohesion contains three core subunits: Smc1, Smc3, and Scc1. Heterotypic interactions between Smc1 and Smc3 dimerization domains create stable V-shaped Smc1/Smc3 heterodimers with a hinge ..
- S phase-specific proteolytic cleavage is required to activate stable DNA binding by the CDP/Cut homeodomain proteinN S Moon
Molecular Oncology Group, McGill University Health Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Mol Cell Biol 21:6332-45. 2001..These findings, together with the cleavage of the Scc1 protein at mitosis, suggest that site-specific proteolysis may play an important role in the regulation of cell ..
- Bir1/Cut17 moving from chromosome to spindle upon the loss of cohesion is required for condensation, spindle elongation and repairJ Morishita
CREST Research Project, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8502, Japan
Genes Cells 6:743-63. 2001..Fission yeast Bir1/Pbh1 is essential for normal mitosis...
- Lampbrush chromosomes enable study of cohesin dynamicsChristopher Austin
Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
Chromosome Res 17:165-84. 2009..We find that endogenous SMC3 and newly expressed hRAD21 co-localize on chromosomal axes, sites where sister chromatids are tightly paired...
- Associations between single nucleotide polymorphisms in double-stranded DNA repair pathway genes and familial breast cancerMary E Sehl
Divisions of Hematology and Oncology and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California at Los Angeles, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:2192-203. 2009..DNA damage recognition and repair play a major role in risk for breast cancer. We investigated 104 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) in 17 genes whose protein products are involved in double-stranded break repair (DSBR)...
- Calpain-1 cleaves Rad21 to promote sister chromatid separationAnil K Panigrahi
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1102 Bates Avenue, Suite 1220, Houston, TX 77030
Mol Cell Biol 31:4335-47. 2011..Sister chromatids are held together by cohesin, a multiprotein ring-like complex comprised of Rad21, Smc1, Smc3, and SA2 (or SA1)...
- Bir1 is required for the tension checkpointMichelle M Shimogawa
Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7350, USA
Mol Biol Cell 20:915-23. 2009..Bir1 localization to kinetochores is maintained in an mcd1-1 mutant in the absence of tension...
- Dual fluorescence system for flow cytometric analysis of Escherichia coli transcriptional response in multi-species contextHuang Miao
School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
J Microbiol Methods 76:109-19. 2009..First, we generated E. coli SCC1 strain, which constitutively expresses green fluorescent protein (GFP), but otherwise showed no observable ..
- Mitotic phosphorylation of Aki1 at Ser208 by cyclin B1-Cdk1 complexAkito Nakamura
Cancer Chemotherapy Center, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 393:872-6. 2010..In the centrosome, it regulates spindle pole localization of the cohesin subunit Scc1, thereby mediating centriole cohesion during mitosis...
- Drad21, a Drosophila rad21 homologue expressed in S-phase cellsW D Warren
Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Victoria 3002, East Melbourne, Australia
Gene 250:77-84. 2000..Here, we report the cloning and initial characterization of the Drosophila homologue of the fission yeast rad21 cohesin subunit, called Drad21...
- AREM: aligning short reads from ChIP-sequencing by expectation maximizationDaniel Newkirk
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
J Comput Biol 18:1495-505. 2011..We apply the algorithm to identify genome-wide binding events of two proteins: Rad21, a component of cohesin and a key factor involved in chromatid cohesion, and Srebp-1, a transcription factor ..
- RAD21 cooperates with pluripotency transcription factors in the maintenance of embryonic stem cell identityAnja Nitzsche
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e19470. 2011..Here we show that the cohesin component RAD21 exhibits a functional role in maintaining ESC identity through association with the pluripotency transcriptional ..
- Scc1 (CP0432) and Scc4 (CP0033) function as a type III secretion chaperone for CopN of Chlamydia pneumoniaeEugenia Silva-Herzog
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Bacteriol 193:3490-6. 2011..In this study, the Scc1 (CP0432) and Scc4 (CP0033) proteins of C...
- A novel tumor-derived SGOL1 variant causes abnormal mitosis and unstable chromatid cohesionT Kahyo
First Department of Pathology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Oncogene 30:4453-63. 2011..Furthermore, the overexpression of SGOL1-P1 inhibited the localization of endogenous SGOL1 and cohesin subunit RAD21/SCC1 to the centromere...
- Identification and molecular characterization of the mammalian α-kleisin RAD21LCristina Gutiérrez-Caballero
Instituto de Biología Molecular y Celular del Cáncer CSIC USAL, Madrid, Spain
Cell Cycle 10:1477-87. 2011..Studies from yeast to humans have led to the assumption that Scc1/RAD21 is the α-kleisin that closes the tripartite CC that entraps two DNA molecules in mitosis, while its paralog REC8 ..
- The mouse RANKL gene locus is defined by a broad pattern of histone H4 acetylation and regulated through distinct distal enhancersMelissa L Martowicz
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Cell Biochem 112:2030-45. 2011..H4ac is restricted to an extended region located between two potential insulator sites occupied by CTCF and Rad21. These data suggest a mechanism whereby 1,25(OH)(2) D(3) functions via the VDR and C/EBPβ to upregulate Rankl ..
- ATP hydrolysis is required for relocating cohesin from sites occupied by its Scc2/4 loading complexBin Hu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Curr Biol 21:12-24. 2011..domain [NBD]) and a dimerization domain linked by a 50 nm long intramolecular antiparallel coiled-coil, and Scc1, an α-kleisin subunit interconnecting the NBD domains of Smc1 and Smc3...
- Rec8-containing cohesin maintains bivalents without turnover during the growing phase of mouse oocytesKikuë Tachibana-Konwalski
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 24:2505-16. 2010..chromatid cohesion mediated by cohesin complexes whose ring structure depends on kleisin subunits, either Rec8 or Scc1. Because cohesion is established at DNA replication in the embryo, its maintenance for such a long time may require ..
- Molecular Basis of AneuploidyDebananda Pati; Fiscal Year: 2010..ESPL1, which encodes an endopeptidase called Separase that separates joined sister chromatids by cleaving cohesin Rad21/SCC1/MCD1 during the metaphase to anaphase transition...
- The Cytogenetics of Meiosis of MaizeWILLIAM ZACHEUS CANDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use ChIP on tiling arrays to identify histone modifications and RAD21/REC8 binding sites in a defined chromosome region...
- The role of establishment factors in cohesionJerard Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..These genes are divided into three groups: structural factors, made up of the four-subunit cohesin complex (Smc1, Scc1, Smc3 and Scc3), which holds sister chromatids together after replication...
- Role of MRK in DNA Damage ResponseRosamaria Ruggieri; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ATM-Chk2/Chkl-Cdc25A cascade, downstream of the BRCT-motif-containing proteins MCD1, Nbsl and 53BP1, plays an important role in gamma-radiation-induced cell cycle arrest in S and G2 phase...
- Antigen Presentation Pathway by CD1 MoleculesMitchell Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..restricted intracellular trafficking, and carry out cell fractionation studies to determine where processing and mCD1 antigen binding occur...
- Mitotic Regulation of Apoptosis in LeukemiaDebananda Pati; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cohesin Rad21, a mitotic regulatory protein may play an important role in the interface between cell proliferation and apoptosis...
- Antigen Presentation Pathway by CD1 MoleculesPING LAWTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will analyze the intracellular trafficking of antigens and mCD1 d, glycolipid antigen processing, and the in vivo effects on NKT cells resulting from the alteration of the antigen ..
- Peptide Morphing: Rational Design of Separase InhibitorsWebster Santos; Fiscal Year: 2005Separase has recently been identified as a cysteine protease that cleaves the Scc1 subunit of cohesin, a complex protein that physically connects sister chromatids and serves important functions in mitotic spindle dynamics...
- PDS5P IN SISTER CHROMATID COHESIONVincent Guacci; Fiscal Year: 2005..The types of genetic instability generated by mutations in pds5 and mcd1 will be quantified by measuring unequal sister chromatid recombination and sensitivity to DNA damaging agents...
- ANTIGEN PRESENTATION AND IMMUNE REGULATION BY CD1Mitchell Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..1 (mCD1), in order to define how mCD1 can stimulate autoreactive, T cells and present both lipid and peptide antigens...
- Analysis of Cdc20-Mad2 in spindle checkpoint signallingCLINTON COPELAND; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will use temperature sensitive mcd1-1 mutants to screen for genes involved in this process...
- Silver carbene complexes as treatment of CF lung diseaseCAROLYN CANNON; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..