Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PPARGC1A
Description: PPARG coactivator 1 alpha
Alias: LEM6, PGC-1(alpha), PGC-1alpha, PGC-1v, PGC1, PGC1A, PPARGC1, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha, L-PGC-1alpha, PGC-1-alpha, PPAR gamma coactivator variant form, PPARGC-1-alpha, PPARgamma coactivator 1alpha, ligand effect modulator-6, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-3ext, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-8a, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B5-NT
- Aquilano K, Vigilanza P, Baldelli S, Pagliei B, Rotilio G, Ciriolo M. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha) and sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) reside in mitochondria: possible direct function in mitochondrial biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:21590-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, this work adds new knowledge on the function of SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha and highlights the direct involvement of such proteins in regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis. ..
- Vohl M, Houde A, Lebel S, Hould F, Marceau P. Effects of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1 Gly482Ser variant on features of the metabolic syndrome. Mol Genet Metab. 2005;86:300-6 pubmed..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1 (PPARGC1) is a transcriptional co-activator of many nuclear receptors including PPAR-gamma, involved in the regulation of ..
- Tobina T, Yoshioka K, Hirata A, Mori S, Kiyonaga A, Tanaka H. Peroxisomal proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator-1 alpha gene expression increases above the lactate threshold in human skeletal muscle. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2011;51:683-8 pubmed..171; 0.030-0.484). However, PGC-1? gene expression after 120% LT (0.441; 0.121-4.643) was significantly higher than in the control. The findings of this study suggest that PGC-1? gene expression depends on exercise intensity. ..
- Soyal S, Felder T, Auer S, Hahne P, Oberkofler H, Witting A, et al. A greatly extended PPARGC1A genomic locus encodes several new brain-specific isoforms and influences Huntington disease age of onset. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:3461-73 pubmed publisher..Several single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) located in two separate haplotype blocks of PPARGC1A have shown associations with Huntington's disease (HD) and Parkinson's disease, but causative SNPs have not been ..
- Austin S, St Pierre J. PGC1? and mitochondrial metabolism--emerging concepts and relevance in ageing and neurodegenerative disorders. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4963-71 pubmed publisherb>PGC1? is a transcriptional coactivator that is a central inducer of mitochondrial biogenesis in cells. Recent work highlighted that PGC1? can also modulate the composition and functions of individual mitochondria...
- Russell A, Feilchenfeldt J, Schreiber S, Praz M, Crettenand A, Gobelet C, et al. Endurance training in humans leads to fiber type-specific increases in levels of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha in skeletal muscle. Diabetes. 2003;52:2874-81 pubmed..001). The increases in PGC-1 and PPAR-alpha levels reported in this study may play an important role in the changes in muscle mitochondria content, oxidative phenotype, and sensitivity to insulin known to be induced by endurance training...
- Myles S, Hradetzky E, Engelken J, Lao O, Nurnberg P, Trent R, et al. Identification of a candidate genetic variant for the high prevalence of type II diabetes in Polynesians. Eur J Hum Genet. 2007;15:584-9 pubmed..The susceptibility allele in the PPARGC1A gene is at a frequency of 0.717 in Polynesians, 0.368 in Chinese but is absent in the New Guineans...
- Choi Y, Hong J, Lim S, Ko K, Pak Y. Impaired coactivator activity of the Gly482 variant of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) on mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;344:708-12 pubmed..These results suggest that PGC-1alpha variants with Gly/Gly at 482nd amino acid may impair the Tfam transcription, a regulatory function of mitochondrial biogenesis, resulting in dysfunctional mtDNA replication. ..
- Andrulionyte L, Peltola P, Chiasson J, Laakso M. Single nucleotide polymorphisms of PPARD in combination with the Gly482Ser substitution of PGC-1A and the Pro12Ala substitution of PPARG2 predict the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes: the STOP-NIDDM trial. Diabetes. 2006;55:2148-52 pubmed..We conclude that SNPs in PPARD modify the conversion from IGT to type 2 diabetes, particularly in combination with the SNPs of PGC-1A and PPARG2. ..
- Cheurfa N, Reis A, Dubois Laforgue D, Bellanne Chantelot C, Timsit J, Velho G. The Gly482Ser polymorphism in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene is associated with hypertension in type 2 diabetic men. Diabetologia. 2004;47:1980-3 pubmedPeroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) acts as a cofactor for several nuclear hormone receptors in many tissues and organs implicated in blood pressure regulation...
- Lai C, Tucker K, Parnell L, Adiconis X, Garcia Bailo B, Griffith J, et al. PPARGC1A variation associated with DNA damage, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Diabetes. 2008;57:809-16 pubmed..We sought to link peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A), a master transcriptional regulator of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and cellular energy metabolism, ..
- Wang S, Fu C, Wang H, Shi Y, Xu X, Chen J, et al. Polymorphisms of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha gene are associated with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and not with hypertension hypertrophy. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2007;45:962-7 pubmed..9+/-4.6 vs. 19.0+/-4.2 mm, p<0.05). No association was found between PGC-1alpha polymorphism and hypertension with or without LVH. Our data indicate that variants of the PGC-1alpha gene are correlated with increased risk for HCM. ..
- Andrulionyte L, Zacharova J, Chiasson J, Laakso M. Common polymorphisms of the PPAR-gamma2 (Pro12Ala) and PGC-1alpha (Gly482Ser) genes are associated with the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes in the STOP-NIDDM trial. Diabetologia. 2004;47:2176-84 pubmed..We conclude that the Pro12Pro genotype of the PPAR-gamma2 gene and the 482Ser allele of the PGC-1alpha gene are associated with the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes in the STOP-NIDDM trial. ..
- D Errico I, Salvatore L, Murzilli S, Lo Sasso G, Latorre D, Martelli N, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1-alpha (PGC1alpha) is a metabolic regulator of intestinal epithelial cell fate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:6603-8 pubmed publisherPeroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-? coactivator 1-? (PGC1?) is a transcriptional coactivator able to up-regulate mitochondrial biogenesis, respiratory capacity, oxidative phosphorylation, and fatty acid ?-oxidation with the final ..
- Andersen G, Wegner L, Jensen D, Glümer C, Tarnow L, Drivsholm T, et al. PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism associates with hypertension among Danish whites. Hypertension. 2005;45:565-70 pubmed..001). In conclusion, the Ser allele of PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser confers a significantly reduced risk of hypertension in whites. Further studies are needed to elucidate the differential role of this polymorphism in men and women. ..
- Oberkofler H, Linnemayr V, Weitgasser R, Klein K, Xie M, Iglseder B, et al. Complex haplotypes of the PGC-1alpha gene are associated with carbohydrate metabolism and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;53:1385-93 pubmed..01). Thus, the PGC-1alpha gene locus influences carbohydrate metabolism and contributes to type 2 diabetes in the population studied. ..
- Ondracek C, Rushing C, Reese V, Oropeza C, McLachlan A. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma Coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner differentially regulate nuclear receptor-dependent hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. J Virol. 2009;83:12535-44 pubmed publisher..Additionally, this functional approach may help to distinguish the transcription factors in various liver cells governing viral biosynthesis under a variety of physiologically relevant conditions. ..
- Bhalla K, Hwang B, Dewi R, Ou L, Twaddel W, Fang H, et al. PGC1? promotes tumor growth by inducing gene expression programs supporting lipogenesis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6888-98 pubmed publisher..PPAR? coactivator 1? (PGC1?) is a key transcriptional regulator of several metabolic pathways including oxidative metabolism and lipogenesis...
- Nordsborg N, Lundby C, Leick L, Pilegaard H. Relative workload determines exercise-induced increases in PGC-1alpha mRNA. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010;42:1477-84 pubmed publisher..The relative intensity of brief intermittent exercise is of major importance for the exercise-induced increase of several mRNA, including PGC-1alpha. ..
- Okauchi Y, Iwahashi H, Okita K, Yuan M, Matsuda M, Tanaka T, et al. PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism is associated with the plasma adiponectin level in type 2 diabetic men. Endocr J. 2008;55:991-7 pubmed..Therefore the observed gender-specific association between PGC-1alpha and the plasma adiponectin level may reflect linkage disequilibrium of Gly482Ser polymorphism with other causative variations. ..
- Ridderstrale M, Johansson L, Rastam L, Lindblad U. Increased risk of obesity associated with the variant allele of the PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism in physically inactive elderly men. Diabetologia. 2006;49:496-500 pubmed..allele of the Gly482Ser polymorphism in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A or PGC1alpha), a critical determinant of skeletal muscle metabolism, has been associated with obesity and type 2 ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Radha V, Ghosh S, Majumder P, Deepa R, Babu H, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene polymorphisms and their relationship to Type 2 diabetes in Asian Indians. Diabet Med. 2005;22:1516-21 pubmed..6 times higher risk for Type 2 diabetes compared with the GG genotype in this population. ..
- Ambye L, Rasmussen S, Fenger M, Jørgensen T, Borch Johnsen K, Madsbad S, et al. Studies of the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene in Danish subjects with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005;67:175-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the PGC-1alpha gene is not associated with the metabolic syndrome, related quantitative traits or cardiac hypertrophy among Danish Caucasian subjects. ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Luan J, Andersen G, Muller Y, Wheeler E, Brito E, et al. The Gly482Ser genotype at the PPARGC1A gene and elevated blood pressure: a meta-analysis involving 13,949 individuals. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1352-8 pubmed publisherThe protein encoded by the PPARGC1A gene is expressed at high levels in metabolically active tissues and is involved in the control of oxidative stress via reactive oxygen species detoxification...
- Qin W, Haroutunian V, Katsel P, Cardozo C, Ho L, Buxbaum J, et al. PGC-1alpha expression decreases in the Alzheimer disease brain as a function of dementia. Arch Neurol. 2009;66:352-61 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic preservation of neuronal PGC-1alpha expression promotes the nonamyloidogenic processing of amyloid precursor protein precluding the generation of amyloidogenic Abeta peptides. ..
- Irrcher I, Ljubicic V, Kirwan A, Hood D. AMP-activated protein kinase-regulated activation of the PGC-1alpha promoter in skeletal muscle cells. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3614 pubmed publisher..Our data identify a novel AMPK-mediated regulatory pathway that regulates PGC-1alpha gene expression. This could represent a potential therapeutic target to control PGC-1alpha expression in skeletal muscle. ..
- Liang H, Ward W. PGC-1alpha: a key regulator of energy metabolism. Adv Physiol Educ. 2006;30:145-51 pubmed..In particular, its regulatory function in lipid metabolism makes it an inviting target for pharmacological intervention in the treatment of obesity and Type 2 diabetes. ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Radha V, Anjana M, Deepa R, Ghosh S, Majumder P, et al. Effect of polymorphisms in the PPARGC1A gene on body fat in Asian Indians. Int J Obes (Lond). 2006;30:884-91 pubmedTo evaluate whether polymorphisms in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A) gene were related to body fat in Asian Indians...
- Rai E, Sharma S, Koul A, Bhat A, Bhanwer A, Bamezai R. Interaction between the UCP2-866G/A, mtDNA 10398G/A and PGC1alpha p.Thr394Thr and p.Gly482Ser polymorphisms in type 2 diabetes susceptibility in North Indian population. Hum Genet. 2007;122:535-40 pubmed..59, 5.53-13.35 at 95% CI), showed a highly significant difference and increased ORs. In a complex disease, it is always encouraging to find an additive interaction of multiple small effects of the studied candidate gene variations. ..
- Mathai A, Bonen A, Benton C, Robinson D, Graham T. Rapid exercise-induced changes in PGC-1alpha mRNA and protein in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1098-105 pubmed publisher..The beta-isoform declined rather than increasing, and this was greater when glycogen was not resynthesized to rest levels. ..
- Little J, Safdar A, Bishop D, Tarnopolsky M, Gibala M. An acute bout of high-intensity interval training increases the nuclear abundance of PGC-1? and activates mitochondrial biogenesis in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011;300:R1303-10 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that an acute bout of low-volume HIT activates mitochondrial biogenesis through a mechanism involving increased nuclear abundance of PGC-1?. ..
- Petrovic M, Kunej T, Peterlin B, Dovc P, Petrovic D. Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene might be a risk factor for diabetic retinopathy in Slovene population (Caucasians) with type 2 diabetes and the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPARgamma g. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2005;21:470-4 pubmed..The PPARgamma gene and its coactivator, the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) gene, have been implicated to be involved in glucose uptake and altered lipid oxidation...
- Feilchenfeldt J, Brundler M, Soravia C, Totsch M, Meier C. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) and associated transcription factors in colon cancer: reduced expression of PPARgamma-coactivator 1 (PGC-1). Cancer Lett. 2004;203:25-33 pubmed..Taken together our data suggest that the transcriptional activity of PPARgamma may not only be decreased by mutation but also by downregulation of the coactivator PGC-1 of PPARgamma. ..
- Won J, Park J, Kim Y, Koh E, Seol S, Jeon B, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1-alpha overexpression prevents endothelial apoptosis by increasing ATP/ADP translocase activity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:290-7 pubmed publisher..Measures to increase PGC-1alpha expression or ATP/ADP translocase activity in vascular cells may aid in the prevention or treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Fan M, Rhee J, St Pierre J, Handschin C, Puigserver P, Lin J, et al. Suppression of mitochondrial respiration through recruitment of p160 myb binding protein to PGC-1alpha: modulation by p38 MAPK. Genes Dev. 2004;18:278-89 pubmed..The discovery of p160MBP as a PGC-1alpha regulator has important implications for the understanding of energy balance and diabetes. ..
- Zhang Y, Xu W, Li X, Tang Y, Xie P, Ji Y, et al. Association between PPARGC1A gene polymorphisms and coronary artery disease in a Chinese population. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2008;35:1172-7 pubmed publisherPeroxisome proliferrator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha; PPARGC1A) is a coactivator of the nuclear hormone receptor family that participates in the transcriptional programme of lipid metabolism and oxidative ..
- Lucia A, Gomez Gallego F, Barroso I, Rabadán M, Bandres F, San Juan A, et al. PPARGC1A genotype (Gly482Ser) predicts exceptional endurance capacity in European men. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;99:344-8 pubmedAnimal and human data indicate a role for the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1alpha (PPARGC1A) gene product in the development of maximal oxygen uptake (V(O2 max)), a determinant of endurance capacity, ..
- Nelson T, Fingerlin T, Moss L, Barmada M, Ferrell R, Norris J. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha gene (PGC-1alpha) is not associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus or body mass index among Hispanic and non Hispanic Whites from Colorado. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:268-75 pubmed..In conclusion, we did not find an association between the PGC-1alpha gene and T2DM or BMI and there were no consistent interactions with diet, physical activity or the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPAR-gamma gene. ..
- Gillberg L, Jacobsen S, Rönn T, Brøns C, Vaag A. PPARGC1A DNA methylation in subcutaneous adipose tissue in low birth weight subjects--impact of 5 days of high-fat overfeeding. Metabolism. 2014;63:263-71 pubmed publisher..DNA methylation of the metabolic regulator peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A) has been reported in skeletal muscle from type 2 diabetes (T2D) subjects and from low birth weight (LBW) ..
- Hsieh M, Lin K, Tien K, Tu S, Hsiao J, Chang S, et al. Common polymorphisms of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (Pro12Ala) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (Gly482Ser) and the response to pioglitazone in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2010;59:1139-44 pubmed publisher..These findings may be helpful for targeted treatment of diabetes by identifying patients who are likely to respond to pioglitazone. ..
- Soyal S, Krempler F, Oberkofler H, Patsch W. PGC-1alpha: a potent transcriptional cofactor involved in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2006;49:1477-88 pubmed
- Fanelli M, Filippi E, Sentinelli F, Romeo S, Fallarino M, Buzzetti R, et al. The Gly482Ser missense mutation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha) gene associates with reduced insulin sensitivity in normal and glucose-intolerant obese subjects. Dis Markers. 2005;21:175-80 pubmed..This association resulted independent from all other known modulators of insulin resistance, and suggests a primary role for the PGC-1alpha gene on the genetic susceptibility to insulin resistance in obesity. ..
- Bhat A, Koul A, Rai E, Sharma S, Dhar M, Bamezai R. PGC-1alpha Thr394Thr and Gly482Ser variants are significantly associated with T2DM in two North Indian populations: a replicate case-control study. Hum Genet. 2007;121:609-14 pubmedThe recent observations that Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PGC1A) is responsible for the induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) detoxifying agents and that ROS triggers insulin resistance, ..
- Shin J, Ko H, Kang H, Lee Y, Lee Y, Pletinkova O, et al. PARIS (ZNF746) repression of PGC-1? contributes to neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease. Cell. 2011;144:689-702 pubmed publisher..The identification of PARIS provides a molecular mechanism for neurodegeneration due to parkin inactivation. ..
- Clarke Harris R, Wilkin T, Hosking J, Pinkney J, Jeffery A, Metcalf B, et al. PGC1? promoter methylation in blood at 5-7 years predicts adiposity from 9 to 14 years (EarlyBird 50). Diabetes. 2014;63:2528-37 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that temporally stable CpG loci measured in childhood may have utility in predicting CMD risk. ..
- Zhang S, Lu W, Yan L, Wu M, Xu M, Chen L, et al. Association between peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha gene polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in southern Chinese population: role of altered interaction with myocyte enhancer factor 2C. Chin Med J (Engl). 2007;120:1878-85 pubmed..The underlying mechanism may be attributable, at least in part, to the altered interaction between the different variants (Gly482Ser, Thr394Thr) in the PGC-1alpha gene and MEF2C. ..
- Katsouri L, Parr C, Bogdanovic N, Willem M, Sastre M. PPAR? co-activator-1? (PGC-1?) reduces amyloid-? generation through a PPAR?-dependent mechanism. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;25:151-62 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, since PGC-1? appears to decrease A? generation, therapeutic modulation of PGC-1? could have real potential as a treatment for AD. ..
- Barres R, Osler M, Yan J, Rune A, Fritz T, Caidahl K, et al. Non-CpG methylation of the PGC-1alpha promoter through DNMT3B controls mitochondrial density. Cell Metab. 2009;10:189-98 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence for PGC-1alpha hypermethylation, concomitant with reduced mitochondrial content in type 2 diabetic patients, and link DNMT3B to the acute fatty-acid-induced non-CpG methylation of PGC-1alpha promoter. ..
- Barroso I, Luan J, Sandhu M, Franks P, Crowley V, Schafer A, et al. Meta-analysis of the Gly482Ser variant in PPARGC1A in type 2 diabetes and related phenotypes. Diabetologia. 2006;49:501-5 pubmedPeroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A) is a transcriptional co-activator with a central role in energy expenditure and glucose metabolism...
- Pihlajamaki J, Kinnunen M, Ruotsalainen E, Salmenniemi U, Vauhkonen I, Kuulasmaa T, et al. Haplotypes of PPARGC1A are associated with glucose tolerance, body mass index and insulin sensitivity in offspring of patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1331-4 pubmedDecreased expression of the peroxisomal proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha gene (PPARGC1A) is found in patients with type 2 diabetes, and variants in this gene have been linked with type 2 diabetes...
- Marmolino D, Manto M, Acquaviva F, Vergara P, Ravella A, Monticelli A, et al. PGC-1alpha down-regulation affects the antioxidant response in Friedreich's ataxia. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10025 pubmed publisher..This response can be restored by AMPK and PPARgamma agonists, suggesting a potential therapeutic approach for FRDA. ..
- Handschin C, Spiegelman B. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 coactivators, energy homeostasis, and metabolism. Endocr Rev. 2006;27:728-35 pubmed..Recent studies have elucidated the function of the PGC-1 coactivators in different tissues and have highlighted the implications of PGC-1 dysregulation in diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cardiomyopathy, or neurodegeneration. ..
- Narkar V, Downes M, Yu R, Embler E, Wang Y, Banayo E, et al. AMPK and PPARdelta agonists are exercise mimetics. Cell. 2008;134:405-15 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that AMPK-PPARdelta pathway can be targeted by orally active drugs to enhance training adaptation or even to increase endurance without exercise. ..
- Ondracek C, Reese V, Rushing C, Oropeza C, McLachlan A. Distinct regulation of hepatitis B virus biosynthesis by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner in human hepatoma cell lines. J Virol. 2009;83:12545-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this approach indicates that the transcriptional regulation of HBV biosynthesis in HepG2 and Huh7 cells is primarily controlled by different transcription factors. ..
- Su Y, Peng S, Li Z, Huang Q. [Association study between PPARGC1A Thr394Thr/ Gly482Ser polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes]. Yi Chuan. 2008;30:304-8 pubmed..rs2970847(Thr394Thr) and rs8192678(Gly482Ser) of peroxisome proliferators activated receptor gamma coactivator-1(PPARGC1A)gene and type 2 diabetes in Chinese Han population in Hubei...
- Ondracek C, McLachlan A. Role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha in AKT/PKB-mediated inhibition of hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. J Virol. 2011;85:11891-900 pubmed publisher..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? coactivator 1? (PGC1?) enhances the activity of nuclear receptors and, consequently, HBV biosynthesis...
- Cui L, Jeong H, Borovecki F, Parkhurst C, Tanese N, Krainc D. Transcriptional repression of PGC-1alpha by mutant huntingtin leads to mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration. Cell. 2006;127:59-69 pubmed..These studies suggest a key role for PGC-1alpha in the control of energy metabolism in the early stages of HD pathogenesis. ..
- Frances F, Verdu F, Portoles O, Castello A, Sorli J, Guillen M, et al. PPAR-alpha L162V and PGC-1 G482S gene polymorphisms, but not PPAR-gamma P12A, are associated with alcohol consumption in a Spanish Mediterranean population. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;398:70-4 pubmed publisher..2 g/day, SS 5.6+/-7.8 g/day, p=0.003). These results remained statistically significant after covariate adjustment. PPAR-alpha L162V and PGC-1A G482S polymorphisms are associated with alcohol consumption in the Mediterranean population. ..
- Chen S, Yan W, Huang J, Yang W, Gu D. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha polymorphism is not associated with essential hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Chinese population. Hypertens Res. 2004;27:813-20 pubmed..In conclusion, these results indicated that these two variations in the PGC-1alpha gene might not contribute to the risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population studied here. ..
- Rodgers J, Lerin C, Haas W, Gygi S, Spiegelman B, Puigserver P. Nutrient control of glucose homeostasis through a complex of PGC-1alpha and SIRT1. Nature. 2005;434:113-8 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a molecular mechanism whereby SIRT1 functions in glucose homeostasis as a modulator of PGC-1alpha. These findings have strong implications for the basic pathways of energy homeostasis, diabetes and lifespan. ..
- Stepto N, Benziane B, Wadley G, Chibalin A, Canny B, Eynon N, et al. Short-term intensified cycle training alters acute and chronic responses of PGC1? and Cytochrome C oxidase IV to exercise in human skeletal muscle. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e53080 pubmed publisher..Muscle PGC1-? mRNA expression was attenuated as it increased by 11- and 4- fold (P<0...
- SanGiovanni J, Chen J, Sapieha P, Aderman C, Stahl A, Clemons T, et al. DNA sequence variants in PPARGC1A, a gene encoding a coactivator of the ?-3 LCPUFA sensing PPAR-RXR transcription complex, are associated with NV AMD and AMD-associated loci in genes of complement and VEGF signaling pathways. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53155 pubmed publisher..We postulated that DNA sequence variation in PPAR gamma (PPARG) co-activator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A), a gene encoding a co-activator of the LCPUFA-sensing PPARG-retinoid X receptor (RXR) transcription complex, may ..
- Tian X, Zhao F, Cheng Z, Zhou M, Zhi X, Li J, et al. GCN5 acetyltransferase inhibits PGC1?-induced hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. Virol Sin. 2013;28:216-22 pubmed publisher..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-? coactivator 1? (PGC1?) coactivates and further enhances the effect of HNF4? on HBV biosynthesis...
- Egan B, Carson B, Garcia Roves P, Chibalin A, Sarsfield F, Barron N, et al. Exercise intensity-dependent regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor coactivator-1 mRNA abundance is associated with differential activation of upstream signalling kinases in human skeletal muscle. J Physiol. 2010;588:1779-90 pubmed publisher..This effect is mediated by differential activation of multiple signalling pathways, with ATF-2 and HDAC phosphorylation proposed as key intensity-dependent mediators. ..
- Kong X, Wang R, Xue Y, Liu X, Zhang H, Chen Y, et al. Sirtuin 3, a new target of PGC-1alpha, plays an important role in the suppression of ROS and mitochondrial biogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11707 pubmed publisher..Thus, SIRT3 integrates cellular energy metabolism and ROS generation. The elucidation of the molecular mechanisms of SIRT3 regulation and its physiological functions may provide a novel target for treating ROS-related disease. ..
- Franks P, Ekelund U, Brage S, Luan J, Schafer A, O Rahilly S, et al. PPARGC1A coding variation may initiate impaired NEFA clearance during glucose challenge. Diabetologia. 2007;50:569-73 pubmedThe peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha protein, encoded by the PPARGC1A gene, transcriptionally activates a complex pathway of lipid and glucose metabolism and is expressed primarily in tissues of high ..
- Eschbach J, Schwalenstocker B, Soyal S, Bayer H, Wiesner D, Akimoto C, et al. PGC-1? is a male-specific disease modifier of human and experimental amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:3477-84 pubmed publisher..In summary, we indentify PGC-1? as a novel and clinically relevant disease modifier of human and experimental ALS and report a sex-dependent effect of PGC-1? in this neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- Zhang Y, Ba Y, Liu C, Sun G, Ding L, Gao S, et al. PGC-1alpha induces apoptosis in human epithelial ovarian cancer cells through a PPARgamma-dependent pathway. Cell Res. 2007;17:363-73 pubmed..Our findings indicated that PGC-1alpha was involved in the apoptotic signal transduction pathways and downregulation of PGC-1alpha may be a key point in promoting epithelial ovarian cancer growth and progression. ..
- Ling C, Del Guerra S, Lupi R, Rönn T, Granhall C, Luthman H, et al. Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretion. Diabetologia. 2008;51:615-22 pubmed publisher..coactivator peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (protein PGC-1alpha; gene PPARGC1A) is a master regulator of mitochondrial genes and its expression is decreased and related to impaired oxidative ..
- Taherzadeh Fard E, Saft C, Andrich J, Wieczorek S, Arning L. PGC-1alpha as modifier of onset age in Huntington disease. Mol Neurodegener. 2009;4:10 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that PGC-1alpha has modifying effects on the pathogenic process in HD. ..
- Iglseder B, Oberkofler H, Felder T, Klein K, Paulweber B, Krempler F, et al. Associations of PPARGC1A haplotypes with plaque score but not with intima-media thickness of carotid arteries in middle-aged subjects. Stroke. 2006;37:2260-5 pubmedPeroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha, PPARGC1A) integrates the transcriptional program of mitochondrial biogenesis...