Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PON1
Description: paraoxonase 1
Alias: ESA, MVCD5, PON, A-esterase 1, K-45, PON 1, aromatic esterase 1, arylesterase 1, arylesterase B-type, esterase A, paraoxonase B-type, serum aryldiakylphosphatase, serum aryldialkylphosphatase 1, serum paraoxonase/arylesterase 1
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- Antioxidant paraoxonase 1 activity in the metabolic syndromeMariano Senti
Lipids and Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5422-6. 2003Paraoxonase (PON1) is an antioxidant enzyme closely associated with high-density lipoproteins. Low PON1 has been shown in oxidative stress-associated processes such as dyslipidemia, diabetes mellitus, advancing age, and smoking...
- Human paraoxonases (PON1, PON2, and PON3) are lactonases with overlapping and distinct substrate specificitiesDragomir I Draganov
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Lipid Res 46:1239-47. 2005The paraoxonase (PON) gene family in humans has three members, PON1, PON2, and PON3. Their physiological role(s) and natural substrates are uncertain...
- The human serum paraoxonase/arylesterase gene (PON1) is one member of a multigene familyS L Primo-Parmo
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, R5036 Kresge II Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109 0572, USA
Genomics 33:498-507. 1996A physiological role for paraoxonase (PON1) is still uncertain, but it catalyzes the hydrolysis of toxic organophosphates. Evidence that the human genome contains two PON1-like genes, designated PON2 and PON3, is presented here...
- The role of paraoxonase 1 in the detoxification of homocysteine thiolactoneHieronim Jakubowski
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Life Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:113-27. 2010..One such mechanism involves paraoxonase 1 (PON1), which has the ability to hydrolyze Hcy-thiolactone...
- Human and murine paraoxonase 1 are host modulators of Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensingEgon A Ozer
Department of Internal Medicine Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 253:29-37. 2005..We found that paraoxonase 1 (PON1), a mammalian lactonase with an unknown natural substrate, hydrolyzed the P. aeruginosa acyl-HSL 3OC12-HSL...
- No association of paraoxonase-1 Q192R genotypes with platelet response to clopidogrel and risk of stent thrombosis after coronary stentingDirk Sibbing
Deutsches Herzzentrum München and 1 Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lazarettstrasse 36, Munich, Germany
Eur Heart J 32:1605-13. 2011..published findings showed a highly significant impact of a common polymorphism (Q192R) within the paraoxonase-1 (PON1) gene on clopidogrel treatment efficacy but no influence of the CYP2C19*2 genetic variant as previously ..
- Paraoxonase 1 polymorphisms and ischemic stroke risk: A systematic review and meta-analysisIssa J Dahabreh
Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Genet Med 12:606-15. 2010Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) polymorphisms have been implicated as risk factors for coronary artery disease, but the results of genetic association studies on the related phenotype of ischemic stroke are inconclusive...
- Association of organophosphate pesticide exposure and paraoxonase with birth outcome in Mexican-American womenKim G Harley
Center for Environmental Research and Children s Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e23923. 2011..We explored whether paraoxonase (PON1), a key enzyme involved in detoxification of OPs, could be an effect modifier in this association.
- Human PON1, a biomarker of risk of disease and exposureC E Furlong
University of Washington, Department of Medicine Div of Medical Genetics, Seattle, WA, United States
Chem Biol Interact 187:355-61. 2010Human paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is a high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-associated serum enzyme that exhibits a broad substrate specificity...
- Paraoxonase-1 status in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitisDorota Boehm
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
Inflamm Bowel Dis 15:93-9. 2009Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an extracellular enzyme, which in the gastrointestinal tract may act as a local detoxifier, antioxidant, immunomodulator, and/or quorum-quenching factor. There are no data on PON1 activity in Crohn's disease (CD).
- Four genetic polymorphisms of paraoxonase gene and risk of coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis based on 88 case-control studiesMingsong Wang
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, 168 Changhai Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Atherosclerosis 214:377-85. 2011The human paraoxonase (PON) is calcium dependent HDL associated ester hydrolase which has attracted considerable attention as a candidate gene for coronary heart disease based on its enzyme function as a key factor in lipoprotein ..
- Effect of paraoxonase-1 polymorphism on clinical outcomes in patients treated with clopidogrel after an acute myocardial infarctionT Simon
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris APHP, Hopital St Antoine, URC EST, Paris, France
Clin Pharmacol Ther 90:561-7. 2011Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) Q192R polymorphism was recently suggested to determine per se clopidogrel response on major cardiovascular events (MACEs)...
- Maternal exposure to floricultural work during pregnancy, PON1 Q192R polymorphisms and the risk of low birth weightG Moreno-Banda
Population Health Research Center, National Institute of Public Health, Avenida Universidad 655, Colonia Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, 62508 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Sci Total Environ 407:5478-85. 2009..Paraoxonase (PON1) detoxifies organophosphates by cleavage of active oxons...
- The three-gene paraoxonase family: physiologic roles, actions and regulationLouis Philippe Precourt
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine, Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Atherosclerosis 214:20-36. 2011The paraoxonase (PON) gene family is composed of three members (PON1, PON2, PON3) that share considerable structural homology and are located adjacently on chromosome 7 in humans...
- Paraoxonase-1 is a major determinant of clopidogrel efficacyHeleen J Bouman
Department of Cardiology, St Antonius Hospital Nieuwegein, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Nat Med 17:110-6. 2011..Using in vitro metabolomic profiling techniques, we identified paraoxonase-1 (PON1) as the crucial enzyme for clopidogrel bioactivation, with its common Q192R polymorphism determining the rate of ..
- Molecular basis for the polymorphic forms of human serum paraoxonase/arylesterase: glutamine or arginine at position 191, for the respective A or B allozymesS Adkins
Department of Environmental and Industrial Health, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0572
Am J Hum Genet 52:598-608. 1993..Pedigree analysis showed both polymorphisms to be inherited in the expected Mendelian manner and confirmed that only the 191 polymorphism showed concordance with the serum paraoxonase/arylesterase phenotypes...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) status and substrate hydrolysisRebecca J Richter
Department of Medicine Division of Medical Genetics, Box 357720, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7720, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 235:1-9. 2009Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) hydrolyzes a number of organophosphorus (OP) compounds including insecticides and nerve agents. The in vivo efficacy of PON1 to protect against a specific OP exposure depends on the catalytic efficiency of hydrolysis...
- Lack of replication of genetic associations with human longevityValeria Novelli
Genetic Department, IRCCS Multimedica, Via Milanese 300, Sesto S Giovanni Milan, 20099, Italy
Biogerontology 9:85-92. 2008..tested Klotho (KL)-VS variant (rs952706), Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein (CETP) I405V (rs5882), Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) Q192R (rs662), Apolipoprotein C-III (APOC3) -641C/A (rs2542052), Microsomal Transfer Protein (MTP) -493G/T (..
- Human paraoxonase-1 activity in childhood obesity and its relation to leptin and adiponectin levelsPeter Koncsos
First Department of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Pediatr Res 67:309-13. 2010Childhood obesity is a predisposing factor for adult cardiovascular diseases. Human serum paraoxonase (PON1) may protect against atherosclerosis by hydrolyzing lipid peroxides in oxidized LDL...
- Influence of the paraoxonase-1 Q192R genetic variant on clopidogrel responsiveness and recurrent cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysisJ L Reny
Division of General Internal Medicine, Faculty of MedicineGeneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Thromb Haemost 10:1242-51. 2012..Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) enzyme activity is modulated by the PON1-Q192R variant (rs662) and was recently suggested to be strongly involved ..
- Simvastatin modulates expression of the PON1 gene and increases serum paraoxonase: a role for sterol regulatory element-binding protein-2Sara Deakin
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Medical Faculty, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:2083-9. 2003..The present study examined the influence of simvastatin on paraoxonase expression and serum paraoxonase levels...
- The roles of PON1 and PON2 in cardiovascular disease and innate immunityDiana M Shih
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1679, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 20:288-92. 2009The paraoxonase (PON) gene family includes three members, PON1, PON2, and PON3. In-vitro and mouse studies have demonstrated that all three PONs are atheroprotective...
- Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) activity as a risk factor for atherosclerosis in chronic renal failure patientsSaeed Abdelwhab Saeed
Departments of Nephrology, Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Hemodial Int 12:471-9. 2008..Basal paraoxonase-1 (PON1), salt-stimulated PON1, and arylesterase activity correlate with BUN, but only basal PON1 and salt-stimulated PON1 ..
- Human paraoxonase gene cluster polymorphisms as predictors of coronary heart disease risk in the prospective Northwick Park Heart Study IIKirsty S Robertson
Division of Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, Rayne Building, Royal Free and University College Medical School, 5 University St, London WC1E 6JF, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1639:203-12. 2003..Three distinct enzymes have been identified, encoded by PON1, PON2 and PON3, clustered on chromosome 7q21-q22...
- Human paraoxonase-1 gene expression by HepG2 cells is downregulated by interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha, but is upregulated by interleukin-6Yoshitaka Kumon
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nephrology, Kochi Medical School, Kohasu Okoh Cho, Nankoku, Kochi 783 8505, Japan
Life Sci 73:2807-15. 2003Recent studies have demonstrated that human paraoxonase-1 (PON1) associated with HDL, plays a role for anti-atherosclerotic effects of HDL, however, the relationships between PON1 and inflammatory cytokines remain unclear...
- Association of the M55L and Q192R paraoxonase gene polymorphisms with age-related macular degenerationPaul N Baird
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, East Melbourne, Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 138:665-6. 2004To investigate the reported association of the two single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of the paraoxonase gene (PON1), Met-Leu 55 (M55L) and Gln-Arg 192 (Q192R), in individuals of Anglo-Celtic descent who have age-related macular ..
- Effect of non-genetic factors on paraoxonase 1 activity in patients undergoing hemodialysisMarija Grdić Rajković
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Hematology, University of Zagreb Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Zagreb, Croatia
Clin Biochem 43:1375-80. 2010Hemodialyzed patients have lower paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity. Higher mortality risk from cardiovascular disease observed in these patients could be due to the low antiathetrogenic activity of PON1...
- The association of the PON1 Q192R polymorphism with coronary heart disease: findings from the British Women's Heart and Health cohort study and a meta-analysisDebbie A Lawlor
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, UK
BMC Genet 5:17. 2004There have been inconsistent results from case-control studies assessing the association of the PON1 Q192R polymorphism with coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Effects of intronic and exonic polymorphisms of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) gene on serum PON1 activity in a Korean populationSang Yong Eom
Department of Preventive Medicine and Medical Research Institute, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:720-5. 2011Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) hydrolyzes a number of toxic organophosphorous compounds and reduces lipid peroxide accumulation, and PON1 genetic polymorphisms in the coding region modulate serum PON1 activity...
- Effects of PON polymorphisms and haplotypes on molecular phenotype in Mexican-American mothers and childrenKaren Huen
Center for Children s Environmental Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Environ Mol Mutagen 52:105-16. 2011Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) prevents oxidation of low-density lipoproteins and inactivates toxic oxon derivatives of organophosphate pesticides (OPs)...
- Protective effect of paraoxonase 1 gene variant Gln192Arg in age-related macular degenerationGayle J T Pauer
Department of Ophthalmic Research, Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 149:513-22. 2010..Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) protects against oxidative damage and has been evaluated for its involvement in aging diseases including AMD...
- Q192R polymorphism of the paraoxonase-1 gene as a risk factor for obesity in Portuguese womenLuisa Veiga
Escola Superior de Tecnologia de Saúde de Lisboa, Avenida D João II, Lote 4 69 01, Parque das Nações, 1990 096 Lisboa, Portugal
Eur J Endocrinol 164:213-8. 2011Obesity became a major public health problem as a result of its increasing prevalence worldwide. Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) is an esterase able to protect membranes and lipoproteins from oxidative modifications...
- Continuous reduction of plasma paraoxonase activity with increasing dialysis vintage in hemodialysis patientsBernhard F Henning
Medical Klinik I, Marienhospital Herne, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Ther Apher Dial 14:572-6. 2010..Compared to hemodialysis patients with PON 1, patients with PON 2 or 3 showed higher conversion rates for 4-nitrophenylacetate...
- Paraoxonase gene polymorphism in south-western Korean populationByoung Soo Shin
Department of Neurology, Chonbuk National University Hospital and Medical School, Deokjin gu, Jeonju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:561-6. 2009..The genotype distribution of PON1 at position 55 was LL=0.886, LM=0.114; and at position 192 was QQ=0.406, QR=0.594...
- Paraoxonase 1 status as a risk factor for disease or exposureRebecca J Richter
Departments of Medicine Division of Medical Genetics and Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:29-35. 2010Human paraoxonase 1 (PON1) has broad substrate specificity and has been shown to protect against exposure to some organophosphorus (OP) insecticides due to its ability to hydrolyze toxic metabolites of some organophosphorothioate ..
- Purification of rabbit and human serum paraoxonaseC E Furlong
Division of Medical Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Biochemistry 30:10133-40. 1991..Human serum paraoxonase was purified by a similar procedure, and ten residues of the amino terminus were sequenced by gas-phase procedures. One amino acid difference between the first ten residues of human and rabbit was observed...
- Paraoxonase gene polymorphisms and plasma oxidized low-density lipoprotein level as possible risk factors for exudative age-related macular degenerationT Ikeda
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka Medical College, Osaka, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 132:191-5. 2001..Our purpose is to evaluate the hypothesis that paraoxonase gene polymorphisms and plasma oxidized low-density lipoprotein level play a role in the occurrence of exudative age-related macular degeneration...
- Serum paraoxonase activity: a new additional test for the improved evaluation of chronic liver damageNatalia Ferre
Centre de Recerca Biomèdica and Servei de Medicina Interna, Institut de Recerca en Ciències de la Salut IRCIS, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, C Sant Joan s n, 43201 Reus, Catalunya, Spain
Clin Chem 48:261-8. 2002Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an ester hydrolase present in serum and in the liver...
- Reconsideration of the catalytic center and mechanism of mammalian paraoxonase/arylesteraseR C Sorenson
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0632, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:7187-91. 1995For three decades, mammalian paraoxonase (A-esterase, aromatic esterase, arylesterase; PON, EC 3.1.8...
- TagSNP analyses of the PON gene cluster: effects on PON1 activity, LDL oxidative susceptibility, and vascular diseaseChristopher S Carlson
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Division of Public Health Sciences, The University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Lipid Res 47:1014-24. 2006Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity is consistently predictive of vascular disease, although the genotype at four functional PON1 polymorphisms is not...
- Paraoxonase 192 Gln-->Arg polymorphism: an independent risk factor for nonfatal arterial ischemic stroke among young adultsBarbara Voetsch
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
Stroke 33:1459-64. 2002..Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is an HDL-associated esterase that hydrolyzes products of lipid peroxidation and prevents the oxidation of LDL...
- Relation of PON1 and CYP1A1 genetic polymorphisms to clinical findings in a cross-sectional study of a Greek rural population professionally exposed to pesticidesA M Tsatsakis
Centre of Toxicology Sciences and Research, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, Voutes, Heraklion, 71409 Crete, Greece
Toxicol Lett 186:66-72. 2009Allelic variants of CYP1A1 and PON1 have been extensively studied as susceptibility factors in toxic response, although little is known about the role of these variants as risk factors for the plethora of diseases appearing in the human ..
- The combined effect of paraoxonase promoter and coding region polymorphisms on the risk of arterial ischemic stroke among young adultsBarbara Voetsch
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118, USA
Arch Neurol 61:351-6. 2004Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is a high-density lipoprotein-associated esterase with antioxidant and antiatherogenic properties that has recently been implicated in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease...
- Indications that paraoxonase-1 contributes to plasma high density lipoprotein levels in familial hypercholesterolemiaThomas M van Himbergen
Research Laboratory, Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 46:445-51. 2005HDL-associated paraoxonase type 1 (PON1) can protect LDL and HDL against oxidative modification in vitro and therefore may protect against cardiovascular disease...
- Relationship between Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) gene polymorphisms and susceptibility of stroke: a meta-analysisIndranil Banerjee
Institute of Biochemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, HPM E10 1, Schafmattstrasse 18, 8093, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Epidemiol 25:449-58. 2010Genetic variants of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) were implicated in stroke susceptibility in several case-control association studies...
- Paraoxonase promoter polymorphism T(-107)C and relative paraoxonase deficiency as determinants of risk of coronary artery diseaseI Leviev
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Mol Med (Berl) 79:457-63. 2001This study tested the hypothesis that promoter polymorphism T(-107)C of the human paraoxonase gene (PON1) is associated with risk of coronary disease. Participants (n=897) were recruited from a cardiology department...
- Paraoxonase-1 concentrations in end-stage renal disease patients increase after hemodialysis: correlation with low molecular AGE adduct clearanceAlejandro Gugliucci
Glycation, Oxidation and Disease Laboratory, Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Touro University California, Vallejo, CA, USA, and Department of Internal Medicine, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama City, Japan
Clin Chim Acta 377:213-20. 2007..Reduced serum paraoxonase (PON-1) activity has been described in these patients, which could contribute to the accelerated development of ..
- Low paraoxonase activity predicts coronary events in the Caerphilly Prospective StudyBharti Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, University of Manchester, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Circulation 107:2775-9. 2003The hypothesis that paraoxonase (PON1) has a role in preventing atherosclerosis is based on experimental, transgenic, and case-control studies but has not previously been tested prospectively.
- Racial differences in paraoxonase-1 (PON1): a factor in the health of southerners?Kimberly A Davis
Center for Environmental Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, Mississippi 39762 6100, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1226-31. 2009..Paraoxonase-1 (PON1), an enzyme associated with high-density lipoprotein particles, participates both in the hydrolysis of oxidized ..
- Paraoxonase variants relate to 10-year risk in coronary artery disease: impact of a high-density lipoprotein-bound antioxidant in secondary preventionJakub J Regieli
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:1238-45. 2009We investigated the effects of paraoxonase (PON)-1 variants on long-term clinical outcome in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).
- Genome-wide association scan identifies candidate polymorphisms associated with differential response to anti-TNF treatment in rheumatoid arthritisChunyu Liu
Biogen Idec Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Med 14:575-81. 2008..the type I interferon gene IFNk on chromosome 9; and in a locus on chromosome 7 that includes the paraoxonase I (PON1) gene...
- Paraoxonase (PON1) polymorphism and activity as the determinants of sensitivity to organophosphates in human subjectsJintana Sirivarasai
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Chem Biol Interact 168:184-92. 2007Paraoxonase (PON1) plays an important role in mechanism of organophosphorus compound (OP) toxicity, as seen both in vitro and in vivo studies...
- Determinants of variation in human serum paraoxonase activityD L Rainwater
Department of Genetics, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, TX 78245 0549, USA
Heredity (Edinb) 102:147-54. 2009Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) is associated with high-density lipoprotein (HDL) particles and is believed to contribute to antiatherogenic properties of HDLs...
- Association between the severity of angiographic coronary artery disease and paraoxonase gene polymorphisms in the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE) studyQi Chen
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Am J Hum Genet 72:13-22. 2003..Three polymorphisms in the PON1 (Leu55Met and Gln192Arg) and PON2 (Ser311Cys) genes have been shown to be associated with the risk of CAD in ..
- Human serum paraoxonase gene polymorphisms, Q192R and L55M, are not associated with the risk of cerebral infarction in Chinese Han populationQing Huang
Institute of Neurology, Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Neurol Res 28:549-54. 2006It has been reported that human serum paraoxonase (PON1) gene is associated with coronary heart disease (CHD) and diabetes mellitus (DM). However, little is known about the role of PON1 gene polymorphism in cerebral infarction (CI)...
- Effects of 5' regulatory-region polymorphisms on paraoxonase-gene (PON1) expressionV H Brophy
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Hum Genet 68:1428-36. 2001Human HDL-associated paraoxonase (PON1) hydrolyzes a number of toxic organophosphorous compounds and reduces oxidation of LDLs and HDLs...
- Low levels of serum paraoxonase activities are characteristic of metabolic syndrome and may influence the metabolic-syndrome-related risk of coronary artery diseaseNicola Martinelli
Department of Medicine, University of Verona, Policlinico G B Rossi, Italy
Exp Diabetes Res 2012:231502. 2012..The antioxidant ability of HDLs is, at least in part, attributable to pleiotropic serum paraoxonase (PON1)...
- Lack of association between the paraoxonase 1 Q/R192 single nucleotide polymorphism and stroke in a Chinese cohortZ J Xiao
Department of Neurology, Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, China
Acta Neurol Belg 109:205-9. 2009Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is an HDL-associated esterase that hydrolyzes products of lipid peroxidation and prevents the oxidation of LDL. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) was implicated in susceptibility to stroke in previous studies...
- Promoter polymorphisms of human paraoxonase PON1 gene and serum paraoxonase activities and concentrationsI Leviev
Clinical Diabetes Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20:516-21. 2000..The present study has identified 3 polymorphisms in the promoter region of the human PON1 gene...
- Paraoxonase gene polymorphism and vitamin levels during pregnancy: Relationship with maternal oxidative stress and neonatal birthweightsJungwon Min
Department of Preventive Medicine, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, South Korea
Reprod Toxicol 22:418-24. 2006..association between maternal oxidative stress and adverse birth outcome, and serum vitamin levels and paraoxonase (PON) polymorphism during pregnancy...
- Impact of paraoxonase polymorphism (Q192R) on endothelial function in intact coronary circulationTetsunobu Yamane
Department of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Japan
Hypertens Res 29:417-22. 2006Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) can protect endothelial function by preventing the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and retarding the development of atherosclerosis...
- Interaction of paraoxonase-192 polymorphism with low HDL-cholesterol in coronary artery disease riskMaria Isabel Mendonça
Unidade de Investigação e Serviço de Cardiologia do Hospital Dr Nélio Mendonça Hospital Central do Funchal, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 29:571-80. 2010..Increased lipid peroxidation is associated with accelerated progression of atherosclerosis. Paraoxonase (PON1) is an antioxidant enzyme bound to high-density lipoprotein (HDL), which protects against lipid peroxidation and ..
- Xenobiotic gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to multiple myelomaLisa F Lincz
Haematologica 89:628-9. 2004..In a case-control study, 90 Australian Caucasians with MM had significantly higher incidences of GST T1 null, PON1 BB and NAT2 slow acetylation genotypes, but no difference in polymorphism frequencies for GST M1, NAT1, and CYP1A1 ..
- 8-Hydroxydeoxyguanosine levels in human leukocyte and urine according to exposure to organophosphorus pesticides and paraoxonase 1 genotypeChul Ho Lee
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumaicho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 80:217-27. 2007In order to investigate a role of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) polymorphism in organophosphorus (OP)-induced 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) levels, urinary metabolites of OP, PON1 genotypes, and 8-OHdG levels in leukocyte and urine were ..
- Both paraoxonase-1 genotype and activity do not predict the risk of future coronary artery disease; the EPIC-Norfolk Prospective Population StudyRakesh S Birjmohun
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e6809. 2009Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) is an antioxidant enzyme, that resides on high-density lipoprotein (HDL). PON1-activity, is heavily influenced by the PON1-Q192R polymorphism...
- Human carotid atherosclerotic plaque increases oxidative state of macrophages and low-density lipoproteins, whereas paraoxonase 1 (PON1) decreases such atherogenic effectsHagai Tavori
Migal Galilee Technology Center, Kiryat Shmona, Tel Hai College, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 46:607-15. 2009..Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is a high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-associated esterase (lipolactonase), exhibiting antiatherogenic properties...
- In silico analyses of substrate interactions with human serum paraoxonase 1Xin Hu
Biotechnology HPC Software Applications Institute, Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center, US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702, USA
Proteins 75:486-98. 2009....
- Paraoxonase 1 activity in different types of multiple sclerosisA Jamroz-Wisniewska
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
Mult Scler 15:399-402. 2009Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an antioxidant enzyme bound to plasma high-density lipoproteins and is also present in the brain.
- Paraoxonase 1 gene promoter polymorphisms are associated with the extent of stenosis in coronary arteriesMohammad Najafi
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Hemmat Highway, Tehran, Iran
Thromb Res 123:503-10. 2009HDL-associated paraoxonase1 (PON1) is believed to be an important anti-oxidative enzyme in the retardation of atherosclerosis...
- Paraoxonase 1 response to a high-fat diet: gender differences in the factors involvedElena Thomàs-Moyà
Grup de Metabolisme Energetic i Nutricio, Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Ciencies de la Salut, Institut Universitari d Investigacio en Ciencies de la Salut IUNICS, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Mol Med 13:203-9. 2007..Considering the anti-atherogenic role attributed to serum Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity, and given the pro-atherogenic effects described for saturated fatty acids (SFA), as opposed to the ..
- Decreased serum paraoxonase 1 activity and increased serum homocysteine and malondialdehyde levels in age-related macular degenerationOrhan Ates
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 217:17-22. 2009..Malondialdehyde (MDA), a lipid peroxidation product, is used as a marker of oxidative stress. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) metabolizes lipid peroxides and prevents oxidation of low-density lipoprotein...
- Serum paraoxonase 1 activity is decreased in thyroid dysfunctionF Azizi
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Endocrinol Invest 26:703-9. 2003..This study aims at assessing lipids, lipoproteins, apolipoproteins and serum paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity in patients with thyroid dysfunction...
- The association of the PON1 Q192R polymorphism with complications and outcomes of pregnancy: findings from the British Women's Heart and Health cohort studyDebbie A Lawlor
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 20:244-50. 2006..To date only two studies have assessed this possibility. In this study we assessed the associations of the PON1 Q192R polymorphism with self-report of having pregnancy-induced hypertension, gestational hyperglycaemia and a ..
- PON1 L55M polymorphism is not a predictor of coronary atherosclerosis either alone or in combination with Q192R polymorphism in an Italian populationM Arca
Universita degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 32:9-15. 2002The present study evaluated the role of the PON1 L55M polymorphism independently and in conjunction with the Q192R polymorphism on the risk of coronary atherosclerosis in an Italian population.
- Paraoxonase activity and genetic polymorphisms in greenhouse workers with long term pesticide exposureAntonio F Hernandez
Department of Legal Medicine and Toxicology, University of Granada School of Medicine, Spain
Hum Exp Toxicol 22:565-74. 2003Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is a high-density lipoprotein (HDL) associated protein, which plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, although it was primarily associated with the hydrolysis of organophosphorus compounds...
- Identification of a distinct human high-density lipoprotein subspecies defined by a lipoprotein-associated protein, K-45. Identity of K-45 with paraoxonaseM C Blatter
Department of Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 211:871-9. 1993..After completion of the present studies, an N-terminal sequence identical to that of K-45 was reported in recently isolated cDNA clones. These clones encode paraoxonase...
- High C-reactive protein and low paraoxonase1 in diabetes as risk factors for coronary heart diseaseBharti Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Atherosclerosis 186:396-401. 2006Paraoxonase1 (PON1) is an anti-inflammatory enzyme located on HDL, which protects against the development of atherosclerosis. C-reactive protein (CRP) is a marker of the inflammatory response in CHD...
- High affinity, stability, and lactonase activity of serum paraoxonase PON1 anchored on HDL with ApoA-ILeonid Gaidukov
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Biochemistry 44:11843-54. 2005Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is a high-density lipoprotein (HDL)-associated enzyme exhibiting antiatherogenic properties...
- The Gln-Arg191 polymorphism of the human paraoxonase gene (HUMPONA) is not associated with the risk of coronary artery disease in FinnsM Antikainen
National Public Health Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Invest 98:883-5. 1996..In conclusion, we found no association between the Gln-Arg 191 polymorphism of the human paraoxonase gene and coronary artery disease in Finns...
- Paraoxonases are associated with intestinal inflammatory diseases and intracellularly localized to the endoplasmic reticulumLilah Rothem
Department of Gastroenterology, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 43:730-9. 2007We demonstrated previously that the paraoxonase (PON1/2/3) genes and proteins are expressed in human intestinal biopsies and in Caco-2 cells...
- The molecular basis of the human serum paraoxonase activity polymorphismR Humbert
Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Nat Genet 3:73-6. 1993..A genetic polymorphism of paraoxonase (PON) activity which determines high versus low paraoxon hydrolysis in human populations, may determine sensitivity to ..
- Genetic and environmental factors associated with plasma paraoxonase activity in healthy ChineseXiaoling Wang
Division of Population Genetics, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100037, China
Int J Mol Med 13:445-50. 2004To characterize factors associated with plasma paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity in healthy Chinese Han population, we carried out the present study, not only taking into account the total set of frequent polymorphisms present in PON1 gene in ..
- Haplotype-phenotype relationships of paraoxonase-1Jia Chen
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:731-4. 2005Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an enzyme with multiple activities, including detoxification of organophosphates. It is believed to be important in preventing neurotoxic damage and has also been implicated in atherosclerosis...
- Polymorphisms of paraoxonase (PON1) and their significance in clinical toxicology of organophosphatesLucio G Costa
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105 6099, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 41:37-45. 2003Paraoxonase (PON1) is an HDL-associated enzyme capable of hydrolyzing multiple substrates, including several organophosphorous insecticides and nerve agents, oxidized lipids, and a number of drugs or pro-drugs...
- Interrelationships between paraoxonase-1 and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in the regulation of hepatic inflammationJordi Camps
Centre de Recerca Biomedica, Hospital Universitari de Sant Joan, C Sant Joan s n, 43201 Reus, Catalunya, Spain
Adv Exp Med Biol 660:5-18. 2010..The current review summarises experiments suggesting how paraoxonase-1 activity and expression are altered in liver diseases, and their relationships with the monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and inflammation...
- Paraoxonase and susceptibility to organophosphorus poisoning in farmers dipping sheepBharti Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Pharmacogenetics 13:81-8. 2003Human serum paraoxonase (PON1) hydrolyses organophosphate pesticides (OPs) entering the blood circulation and tissue fluid thus limiting toxicity...
- PON1 status of farmworker mothers and children as a predictor of organophosphate sensitivityClement E Furlong
Department of Genome Sciences, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7720, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 16:183-90. 2006The objective was to determine PON1 status as a predictor for organophosphorus insecticide sensitivity in a cohort of Latina mothers and newborns from the Salinas Valley, California, an area with high levels of organophosphorus ..
- Polymorphisms in the PON gene cluster are associated with Alzheimer diseasePorat M Erlich
Department of Medicine Genetics Program, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:77-85. 2006..We tested the association of 29 SNPs in PON1, PON2 and PON3 with AD in 730 Caucasian and 467 African American participants of the MIRAGE Study, an ongoing multi-..
- Paraoxonase (PON)1 192R allele carriage is associated with reduced risk of inflammatory bowel diseaseAmir Karban
Department of Gastroenterology, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Dig Dis Sci 52:2707-15. 2007..In this case-control study we investigated the possible relationship between PON1 and PON2 polymorphisms and the risk of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- Human serum paraoxonase 1 decreases macrophage cholesterol biosynthesis: possible role for its phospholipase-A2-like activity and lysophosphatidylcholine formationOrit Rozenberg
Technion Faculty of Medicine, The Rappaport Institute for Research in Medical Sciences, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:461-7. 2003Human serum paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity is inversely related to the risk of developing an atherosclerotic lesion, which contains cholesterol-loaded macrophage foam cells...
- A role for FXR and human FGF-19 in the repression of paraoxonase-1 gene expression by bile acidsDiana M Shih
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 47:384-92. 2006Paraoxonase-1 (PON1), an enzyme that metabolizes organophosphate insecticides, is secreted by the liver and transported in the blood complexed to HDL...
- The development of human sera tests for HDL-bound serum PON1 and its lipolactonase activityLeonid Gaidukov
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Lipid Res 48:1637-46. 2007Serum paraoxonase (PON1) is a lipolactonase that associates with HDL-apolipoprotein A-I (HDL-apoA-I) and thereby plays a role in the prevention of atherosclerosis...
- The paraoxonase gene family and coronary heart diseaseBharti Mackness
University Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
Curr Opin Lipidol 13:357-62. 2002..Significant advances have been made in understanding the basic biochemical function of paraoxonase 1 and the discovery of possible modulators of its activity...
- A variant of paraoxonase (PON1) gene is associated with diabetic retinopathy in IDDMY L Kao
Ray Williams Institute of Paediatric Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, Westmead, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2589-92. 1998..57%, p < 0.001). The genotype L/L was strongly associated with the development of diabetic retinopathy (p < 0.001), but a similar association was not found with Gln-Arg 192. Leucine 54 is a risk factor for diabetic retinopathy...
- Factors associated with paraoxonase genotypes and activity in a diverse, young, healthy population: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) studyBharat Thyagarajan
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Medical School, University of Minnesota Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Clin Chem 54:738-46. 2008..Paraoxonase may mitigate oxidative damage and thus lower risk of macrovascular disease...
- Paraoxonase activity and genotype predispose to successful agingFrancesca Marchegiani
Center of Molecular Biology and Genetics, INRCA, Ancona, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:541-6. 2006..The relationship between PON1 genotypes, enzymatic activity, and mass concentration was evaluated in a group of 229 participants from 22 to 104 ..
- New paraoxonase 1 polymorphism I102V and the risk of prostate cancer in Finnish menMarja Marchesani
Oy Jurilab Ltd, Kuopio, Finland
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:812-8. 2003..Because expression of the main human paraoxonase gene PON1 varies widely in humans, certain PON1 polymorphisms might be associated with increased risks of cancer...
- Relationship of classical and non-classical risk factors with genetic variants relevant to coronary heart diseaseJosep Maria Manresa
Unitat de Lipids i Epidemiologia Cardiovascular, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 13:738-44. 2006..We aimed to determine the relationship of classical and non-classical cardiovascular risk factors with candidate gene polymorphisms potentially involved in cardiovascular risk in the general Mediterranean population...
- Lack of association between serum paraoxonase 1 activities and increased oxidized low-density lipoprotein levels in impaired glucose tolerance and newly diagnosed diabetes mellitusSteffi Kopprasch
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Carl Gustav Carus Medical School, University of Technology Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1711-6. 2003Several in vitro investigations showed that serum paraoxonase 1 (PON1) that is located on high-density lipoprotein reduces or prevents low-density lipoprotein (LDL) oxidation and therefore retards atherosclerosis...
- Genetic variability in the cytochrome P450-paraoxonase 1 (PON1) pathway for detoxication of organophosphorus compoundsClement E Furlong
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, and Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 21:197-205. 2007..is achieved by hydrolysis to the respective aromatic alcohols and diethyl phosphates primarily by paraoxonase 1 (PON1), a plasma enzyme tightly associated with high-density lipoprotein particles and also found in liver...
- Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) polymorphisms and prostate cancer in the CPS-II Nutrition CohortVictoria L Stevens
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Prostate 68:1336-40. 2008..b>PON1, which encodes paraoxonase 1, has two common, nonsynonymous SNPs that alter the activity of this enzyme and may ..
- Relationship of Blood Esterases, Pesticide Exposure and Cardiovascular DiseaseJanice Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2009..we have studied for many years because of their involvement in the detoxication of many pesticides are paraoxonase (PON1) and carboxylesterase (CaE)...
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN COLORECTAL CANCERManuela Gago Dominguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..P1 (GSTP1), NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase (NQ01), catechol-O-methyl transferase (COMT), paraoxonase 1 (PON1), heme oxygenase (HO1), and peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma (PPARg), in colorectal cancer ..
- The Rosetta Enzyme ReDesign: Targeting PON1 as OP ScavengerJennifer M Bui; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this context, human serum paraoxonase, PON1 could become a promising scavenger against highly toxic OP compounds because 1) it is in human serum, 2) it can ..
- Exploring Gene-Environment Factors in Child Brain TumorsBeth Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) Microsomal epoxide hydrolase, relevant to activation of PAHs into cancer-causing intermediates; 4) Paraoxonase (PON1), potentially important in detoxifying metabolites of the common organophosphate (OP) insecticides chlorpyrifos and ..
- ACTION OF ALCOHOL & QUERCETIN ON ANTI-ATHEROGENIC FACTORS & ATHEROGENESISRaj Lakshman; Fiscal Year: 2007..In contrast, HDL protects against atherosclerosis via its enzyme paraoxonase (PON) that destroys OxLDL...
- Pesticides, Paraoxonase and Alzheimer's DiseaseMark S Kindy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific Aim 3: To study the therapeutic effects of galantamine and adenoviral delivered PON1 on organophosphate provoked AD...
- PRESERVATION OF HDL FUNCTION DURING EARLY ATHEROGENESISJOHN BIELICKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..the underlying mechanism of LCAT impairment, and 3) establish whether the HDL-associated enzyme, paraoxonase (PON), can protect LCAT activity from specific molecular species of lipid peroxides...
- PON1 and Developmental Sensitivity to OP PesticidesNina T Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, the human enzyme paraoxonase (PON1) detoxifies various OPs with different efficiency depending on the main polymorphism at position 192 and others ..
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF LIPOPROTEIN/LIPID LEVELSM Kamboh; Fiscal Year: 2000..methyl glutryl-coenzyme A (HMG COA), VLDL-receptor, Lecithin cholesterol acyletransferase (LCAT) and paraoxonase (PON)] in determining quantitative lipoprotein-lipid levels in Hispanics and non-Hispanic Whites of the San Luis Valley, ..
- INTIMAL THICKENING & ANTITOXIDANTS IN HISPANICS & ANGLOSJames Dwyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..with IMT was enhanced by higher plasma, beta-cryptoxanthin and by increased plasma level of an enzyme (paraoxonase, PON) that destroys oxidized lipids...
- Targeted Paraoxonase Fusion Protein as a Neurotherapeutic for Nerve Gas AgentsRUBEN BOADO; Fiscal Year: 2009..The most active OP hydrolase in human blood is paraoxonase (PON)-1. However, PON-1 does not cross the BBB...