Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PLXNA3
Description: plexin A3
Alias: HSSEXGENE, PLEXIN-A3, PLXN3, PLXN4, SEX, XAP-6, Sex chromosome X transmembrane protein of HGF receptor family 3, plexin-4, plexin-A3, semaphorin receptor SEX
Publications192 found, 100 shown here
- Using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to monitor year 2000 objectives among American IndiansJ R Sugarman
Indian Health Service Epidemiology Program, Seattle, WA 98121
Public Health Rep 107:449-56. 1992..70 percent of the population of the participating States. Separate (sex-specific) behavioral risk prevalence estimates were derived for Indians and whites for four geographic regions--..
- In vitro interleukin-8 production by monocytes treated with lithium chloride from breast cancer patientsR A Merendino
Department of Human Pathology, University of Messina Medical School, Italy
Tumori 86:149-52. 2000..three groups of subjects (15 per group): patients affected by BCaM0, BCaM1 and healthy donors (HD) matched for sex and age...
- When and where do youths have sex? The potential role of adult supervisionDeborah A Cohen
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Pediatrics 110:e66. 2002Interventions to reduce high-risk behaviors such as sex and substance use among youths have focused mainly on promoting abstinence, refusal skills, and negotiation skills, yet the frequency of high-risk behaviors among youths may also be ..
- Effects of modification of in vitro fertilization techniques on the sex ratio of the resultant bovine embryosH Iwata
Tokyo University of Agriculture, Department of Animal Science, Kanagawa Prefecture, Atsugi City, Japan
Anim Reprod Sci 105:234-44. 2008The duration of sperm-oocyte co-incubation has been observed to affect the sex ratio of in vitro produced bovine embryos. The purpose of this study was to investigate some factors that may be responsible for the skewed sex ratio...
- [Pruritus and the hepatitis C virus. The MULTIVIRC Unit]H Dega
, , Paris
Ann Dermatol Venereol 125:9-12. 1998..The following data were collected: age, sex, risk factors, HIV and HBV serologies, duration of pruritis and diagnosis, ALAT, gamma GT and total bilirubin, ..
- Pharmacological and toxicological effects of chronic porcine growth hormone administration in dogsS Prahalada
Department of Safety Assessment, Merck Research Laboratories MRL, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Toxicol Pathol 26:185-200. 1998..Thirty-two dogs (< 2 yr) were randomized to 4 groups (4 dogs/sex/group); 1 group was treated with the vehicle and 3 groups received pGH at 0.025, 0.1, or 1...
- [Perioperative myocardial infarction and cardiac complications after noncardiac surgery in patients with prior myocardial infarction. I. Clinical data and diagnosis, incidence]T Munzer
Institut für Anästhesiologie, Kantonsspital St Gallen
Anaesthesist 45:213-20. 1996..The following information was acquired and tabulated: age, sex, body weight, preoperative risk factors, ASA classification, preoperative blood pressure, pulse rate, and ECG (..
- Current CDC efforts to prevent and control human immunodeficiency virus infection and AIDS in the United States through information and educationJ O Mason
Centers for Disease Control (CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333
Public Health Rep 103:255-60. 1988..drugs and share needles, engage in anal intercourse, have many sexual partners, practice prostitution, or engage in sex with those who practice these behaviors...
- Design, characteristics, and usefulness of state-based behavioral risk factor surveillance: 1981-87P L Remington
Division of Nutrition, Centers for Disease Control (CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333
Public Health Rep 103:366-75. 1988..The raw data were weighted to the age, race, and sex distribution for each State from the 1980 census data...
- Systemic proliferative changes and clinical signs in cynomolgus monkeys administered a recombinant derivative of human epidermal growth factorJ F Reindel
Drug Safety Evaluation, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Pathol 29:159-73. 2001..Two monkeys/sex/dose received rhEGF(1-48) by intravenous bolus at 0 (vehicle), 10, 100, 500 (females only), or 1,000 microg/kg/day (..
- 1995 Volvo Award in clinical sciences. The diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging, work perception, and psychosocial factors in identifying symptomatic disc herniationsN Boos
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inselspital, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2613-25. 1995..study group) with symptomatic disc herniations and asymptomatic volunteers (control group) matched for age, sex, and work-related risk factors...
- Sex hormones and cardiovascular riskM L'Hermite
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Hopital Universitaire Brugmann, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 46:357-72. 1991The metabolic effects of sex steroids pertinent to cardiovascular risk are described...
- The Saradidi, Kenya, rural health development programme: retrospective demographic analysisH C Spencer
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Clinical Research Centre, Nairobi
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 81:24-35. 1987..The population was 42,755 (excluding 39 persons of unknown age or sex); 17.1% were less than five years old, 46.9% were below age 15, 4.7% were age 65 years or older and 19...
- The gene responsible for adrenal hypoplasia congenita, DAX-1, encodes a nuclear hormone receptor that defines a new class within the superfamilyT P Burris
Department of Pediatrics, UCLA School of Medicine 90024, USA
Recent Prog Horm Res 51:241-59; discussion 259-60. 1996..using positional cloning methods and has been named DAX-1 based on its localization within the dosage-sensitive sex reversal (DSS) locus and the AHC locus on the X chromosome. The DAX-1 gene consists of two exons separated by a 3...
- Risk factors for male breast cancer--a case-control study from ScandinaviaM Ewertz
Danish Cancer Society, Division for Cancer Epidemiology, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Oncol 40:467-71. 2001..Controls were identified through national central population registers and were matched individually for country, sex and year of birth. Controls with a diagnosis of breast cancer were excluded; 468 of 780 controls responded...
- Aromatase (Cyp19) expression is up-regulated by targeted disruption of Dax1Z J Wang
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:7988-93. 2001DAX-1 [dosage-sensitive sex reversal, adrenal hypoplasia congenita (AHC) critical region on the X chromosome, gene 1] is an orphan nuclear receptor that represses transcription by steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1), a factor that regulates ..
- Screening for mutations in the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and steroidogenic factor-1 genes, and in CYP11A and dosage-sensitive sex reversal-adrenal hypoplasia gene on the X chromosome, gene-1 (DAX-1), in hyperandrogenic hirsute womenR M Calvo
Department of Endocrinology, , Madrid 28034, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1746-9. 2001..In conclusion, mutations in StAR, SF-1, CYP11A, and DAX-1 are seldom found in hirsute patients and do not explain the steroidogenic abnormalities found in these women...
- Recombinant human epidermal growth factor1-48-induced structural changes in the digestive tract of cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis)J F Reindel
Department of Pathology and Experimental Toxicology, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research Division of Warner Lambert Company, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Pathol 24:669-80. 1996..growth factor1-48 (EGF1-48) in primates, intravenous bolus injections were given to 2 cynomolgus monkeys per sex at 0 (vehicle control). 10, 100, 500 (females only), and 1,000 micrograms/kg/day (males only) for up to 2 wk...
- Rates of major surgery by age and sex in a rural district in KenyaE Nordberg
Department of International Health and Social Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:213-21. 1996..Although population-based operation rates, totally and by sex and age-group, are useful indicators for monitoring service output, current reporting is inadequate...
- Repression of the rat steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein gene by PGF2alpha is modulated by the negative transcription factor DAX-1T W Sandhoff
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Endocrine 10:83-91. 1999..Recent studies have shown that DAX-1 (Dosage-sensitive sex reversal adrenal hypoplasia congenita critical region on the X-chromosome, gene-1), a negative transcription factor,..
- Association between carriage of oral yeasts, malnutrition and HIV-1 infection among Tanzanian children aged 18 months to 5 yearsF Scheutz
Department of Oral Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:193-8. 1997..The exposure variables were malnutrition and HIV-1 antibody, and confounders to be adjusted for were age, sex, and breastfeeding...
- Psychogenic factors in the aetiology of stomatopyrosisJ S Pokupec-Gruden
Oral Medicine Institute, School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 24:119-26. 2000..The results have shown that sex of the respondents does not make any difference...
- [Prevalence of hypertension in a black African diabetic population]M Ducorps
Service d'Endocrinologie, ,
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:1069-73. 1996..RESULTS: For the whole study population characteristics were: age (at inclusion): 54.2 +/- 12.8 yrs: sex distribution: 341 men for 209 women (sex ratio: 1.63:1); known duration of diabetes: 5.7 +/- 5...
- Sexually active adolescents and young adults: a high-risk group for Chlamydia trachomatis infectionM Bavastrelli
Institute of Pediatrics, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy, and C N R Institute of Experimental Medicine, Rome, Italy
J Travel Med 5:57-60. 1998..or for work, mostly to Europe, but also to North America or to Asia, where they admitted to having had casual sex. We used two "gold standard" methods to diagnose infection with C...
- Hematological effects of 2',3'-dideoxycytidine in rabbitsJ H Riley
Department of Toxicology and Pathology, Hoffmann La Roche Inc, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Toxicol Pathol 20:367-75. 1992..We evaluated the effects of ddC in 36 New Zealand white rabbits. Three/sex were assigned to a control group and 5 treatment groups (10-250 mg/kg/day) for 13 or 18 weeks...
- Circadian variations of blood pressure in patients with sequelae of carbon monoxide poisoningM Fukuhara
Omuta Rosai Hospital, Labor Welfare Corporation, Japan
Am J Hypertens 9:300-5. 1996..ambulatory blood pressure in 15 male patients with the sequelae of acute carbon monoxide poisoning and 16 age- and sex-matched controls...
- Plasma renin activity and insulin resistance in African American and white children: the Bogalusa Heart StudyW Chen
Tulane Center for Cardiovascular Health, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Am J Hypertens 14:212-7. 2001..Children were selected using a stratified random sampling procedure based on race-, age-, and sex-specific percentiles of diastolic blood pressure. Whites had higher plasma renin activity than African Americans (7...
- Differences in cancer mortality trends between four neighboring north-eastern areas and Italy, 1970-1990E Bidoli
Servizio di Epidemiologia, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano (Pordenone, Italy
Tumori 81:399-404. 1995..METHODS: Death certificates stratified by cause, sex, age and residence were obtained from official publications of the Italian Central Institute of Statistics...
- What is the significance of black-white differences in risky sexual behavior?E H Johnson
Department of Family Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30331 2099
J Natl Med Assoc 86:745-59. 1994A sample of African-American and white young adults were classified as having multiple sex partners or one sexual partner...
- Longevity, body weight, and neoplasia in ad libitum-fed and diet-restricted C57BL6 mice fed NIH-31 open formula dietB N Blackwell
Pathology Associates, Inc, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Toxicol Pathol 23:570-82. 1995Groups of C57BL6 mice of each sex were assigned to one of 2 dietary regimens, ad libitum (AL) or dietary restriction (DR), to study effects of food restriction on body weight, survival, and neoplasia...
- Morphological changes in the pituitary gland of dogs chronically exposed to exogenous growth hormoneP Laroque
Merck Sharp and Dohme Chibret Laboratories, Department of Safety Assessment, Riom, France
Toxicol Pathol 26:201-6. 1998..GH on pituitary morphology in dogs, porcine GH (pGH) was administered subcutaneously to 3 groups of dogs (4 animals/sex/group) at doses of 0.025, 0.1, and 1.0 IU/kg/day for 14 wk. A group (4/sex) of dogs served as the vehicle control...
- Winter mortality and cold stress in Yekaterinburg, Russia: interview surveyG C Donaldson
Department of Physiology, Basic Medical Sciences, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
BMJ 316:514-8. 1998..Survey of sample of 1000 residents equally distributed by sex and age groups...
- Correlation between plasma lipoprotein Lp(a) and sex hormone concentrations: a cross-sectional study in healthy malesL Denti
Chair of Gerontology and Geriatrics, University of Parma, Italy
Horm Metab Res 26:602-8. 1994..genetic control, being inversely related to the molecular weight of apo(a) isoforms, an interference of endogenous sex steroids on Lp(a) metabolism has been hypothesized...
- Relationship between cigarette smoking and nutrient intakes and blood status indices of older people living in the UK: further analysis of data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey of people aged 65 years and over, 1994/95C M Walmsley
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
Public Health Nutr 2:199-208. 1999..smoking was inversely correlated with intakes of antioxidants and other micronutrients after adjustment for age, sex and domicile...
- Expression of Dax-1 during gonadal development of the frogJ Sugita
Department of Biology, School of Education, Waseda University, 1-6-1 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8050, Japan
Gene 280:67-74. 2001..Nat. Genet. 12 (1996) 404) and chicken (Smith et al., J. Mol. Endocrinol. 24 (2000) 23). Curiously, there is no sex difference in the expression patterns of Dax-1 in the American alligator (Western et al., Gene 241 (2000) 223)...
- Dental status, diet and cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged people in northern SwedenI Johansson
Department of Nutritional Research, , Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:431-6. 1994..cardiovascular (CVD) risk factors in edentulous middle-aged individuals and individuals of the same age and sex who still had natural teeth. The study was performed within the framework of the MONICA-project...
- Immunoreactive growth hormone-releasing hormone (IR-GHRH) in the feto-placental circulation and differential effects of L-dopa, L-arginine and somatostatin-14 on the plasma levels of IR-GHRH in normal adultsH Saito
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokushima Teishin (Posts and Telecommunications) Hospital, Japan
Horm Metab Res 29:184-9. 1997..3 +/- 0.5 (mean +/- SEM) pg/ml and there was no significant sex difference in the level...
- [Sturge-Weber syndrome with atypical calcifications]M L Prieto
, Hospital Central de Asturias, Universidad de Ovieda,
Rev Neurol 25:1411-3. 1997..or Sturge Weber (SSW) is a neuro-ectodermic disorder of unknown incidence, sporadic presentation and specific sex incidence...
- Utilization of hospital resources by alcoholic and nonalcoholic patients: a prospective studyM Niquille
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Gen Intern Med 6:216-22. 1991..Controls were defined as patients with MAST scores of less than or equal to 4, and matched with alcoholics for sex, age, and time of admission...
- Prevalence of perceived symptoms of dry mouth in an adult Swedish population--relation to age, sex and pharmacotherapyT Nederfors
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Odontology,
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:211-6. 1997..The sample was stratified according to age and sex, and 300 men and an equal number of women aged 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80, were included...
- Sex steroids modulate rat anterior pituitary and liver iodothyronine deiodinase activitiesP C Lisboa
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS, Bloco G, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 33:532-5. 2001In this study, we investigated the sex hormone regulation of 5'-iodothyronine deiodinase activity, which is responsible for enzymatic conversion of thyroxine into the bioactive form, triiodothyronine...
- Respiratory symptoms, skin disorders and serum IgE levels in farm workersA Bener
Dept. of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine-Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAE University, A-Ain, United Arab Emirates
Allerg Immunol (Paris) 31:52-6. 1999..A.U.). The study was a comparison of 98 farmers with 98 non-farmers, the two groups were equivalent in age, sex and selected regions--the town of Al-Ain and in the Emirates of Dubai, Sharjah and Fujairah...
- Insulin secretion and sensitivity in hyperthyroidismT S Jap
Department of Medicine, Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Horm Metab Res 21:261-6. 1989..glucose utilization in 8 subjects with Graves' disease before and after treatment for hyperthyroidism and 8 age-, sex- and weight-matched normal subjects...
- Human immunodeficiency virus-related risk behavior among African-American femalesL J Cornelius
School of Social Work, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 92:183-95. 2000..Statistics, to examine the patterns of HIV-related risk behavior (consistent condom use, number of sexual partners, sex education in birth control methods) among African-American females. We found that only 33...
- Injury fatalities among young childrenL A Fingerhut
Division of Analysis, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD 20782
Public Health Rep 103:399-405. 1988..The purpose of this article is to analyze race and sex differentials in injury fatalities among young children...
- Sleep in restrictive lung diseaseC F George
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Sleep 10:409-18. 1987..of restriction, whether it is intrapulmonary or extrapulmonary, and confounding factors, such as obesity, age, and sex, will ultimately determine the degree of disturbed nocturnal physiology...
- The acceptability of the female condom among low-income African-American womenD O Shervington
Department of Psychiatry, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans 70112 2822
J Natl Med Assoc 85:341-7. 1993..majority of African-American women do not perceive themselves to be at risk nor perceive the need to engage in safe-sex practices...
- Body proportions during long-term growth hormone treatment in girls with Turner syndrome participating in a randomized dose-response trialT C Sas
Department of Pediatrics, Sophia Children's Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4622-8. 1999..All results were adjusted for age and sex and expressed as SD scores using reference values of healthy Dutch girls...
- Role of phosphorylation, gene dosage and Dax-1 in SF-1 mediated steroidogenesisP S Babu
Internal Medicine and Physiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109-0678, USA
Endocr Res 26:985-94. 2000The mechanisms by which SF-1 (Steroidogenic Factor-1) and Dax-1 (Dosage-sensitive sex reversal-Adrenal hypoplasia congenita critical region on the X chromosome) dictate adrenal-specific transcriptional programs are the focus of this ..
- [Genetic effects of cosmic radiation in Drosophila melanogaster]R Hara
Radiation Biology Center, Kyoto University
Biol Sci Space 8:12-22. 1994To examine possible effects of space radiation on living organism, we have analyzedtwo types of mutations, sex-linked recessive lethal mutations and somatic mutations, in fruit fly of the species Drosophila melanogaster...
- Continuing unsafe sex: assessing the need for AIDS prevention counselingR A Roffman
School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Public Health Rep 105:202-8. 1990..syndrome (AIDS) prevention counseling for gay and bisexual men who were continuing to engage in unsafe sex, a nonprobability telephone survey--the data may not be generalizable to the population--was conducted in Seattle ..
- Determination of steroid sex hormones and related synthetic compounds considered as endocrine disrupters in water by fully automated on-line solid-phase extraction-liquid chromatography-diode array detectionM J Lopez De Alda
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
J Chromatogr A 911:203-10. 2001..To the authors' knowledge it constitutes the first work describing a fully automated, on-line methodology for the continuous monitoring of these compounds in water...
- Platelet function and fibrinolytic activity in hypertensive and normotensive sleep apnea patientsC Rangemark
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Sahlgrens and Renströmska Hospital, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Sleep 18:188-94. 1995..after ergometric exercise in 13 hypertensive or normotensive patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and in 10 sex- and weight-matched controls. All patients had undergone a complete polysomnography for the diagnosis of OSA...
- [Are demographic characteristics of hypertensive patients different with renal artery stenosis?]O Jaboureck
Service de médecine interne et HTA, Hopital Cardiologique, CHRU, 59037 Lille
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 94:828-33. 2001..The goal of this work was to study the demographic differences between hypertensive patients with renal artery stenosis (RAS) or without RAS...
- [Functional outcome and quality of life at least 6 months after pneumonectomy--effect of operation, adjuvant therapy, tumor stage, sex, type of pneumonia and recurrence]R Fiedler
Pneumologie 53:45-9. 1999..Adjuvant therapy applied in 12 patients had no significant influence, neither on lung function parameters nor on the quality of life. A more advanced tumour stage or a relapse, however, will adversely affect the quality of life...
- Is upper gastrointestinal radiography necessary in the initial management of uncomplicated dyspepsia? A randomized controlled trial comparing empiric antacid therapy plus patient reassurance with traditional careJ D Goodson
Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
J Gen Intern Med 4:367-74. 1989....
- Tobacco smoking--a major cause of sex differences in healthD Mellstrom
Department of Geriatric and Long Term Care Medicine, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Compr Gerontol A 1:34-9. 1987..When adjustments were made for duration of smoking, amount of tobacco consumed, significant sex differences were still observed for ECG evidence of myocardial ischemia (dominance in males), peptic ulcer (..
- Suitability of Krathwohl's affective taxonomy for evaluating patient attitudes to dental careA M Syrjälä
Department of Periodontology, University of Oulu, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:299-303. 1990..the affective domain, and to examine correlations between the attitude determined by this questionnaire and sex, age, education, and dental behavior...
- Plasma levels of antioxidant vitamins and oxidative stress in patients with acute myocardial infarctionR B Singh
Heart Research Laboratory, Medical Hospital and Research Centre, Moradabad, Varanasi College for Women Trivandrum, India
Acta Cardiol 49:441-52. 1994..Remaining 109 patients and 182 healthy controls of similar age and sex and same population were studied in detail for demographic variables, clinical and biochemical data for comparison...
- Headache and cardiovascular risk factors: positive association with hypertensionM Cirillo
Schools of Medicine, Chair of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Second University of Naples, Italy
Headache 39:409-16. 1999..in 1343 patients with severe headache (399 men and 944 women), aged 15 to 64 years; analyses were controlled for sex, age, and type and frequency of headache...
- Left systolic atrioventricular plane displacement in the assessment of myocardial viability in patients with previous myocardial infarctionK Bouki
First Department of Cardiology, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Cardiol 50:273-90. 1995..The study population consisted of 70 CAD patients and 35 age and sex matched healthy subjects...
- Effects of ovariectomy and estrogen replacement on attractivity and receptivity in the red-sided garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis)M T Mendonca
Institute of Reproductive Biology Department of Zoology, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
J Comp Physiol A 178:373-81. 1996..behavior in male red-sided garter snakes, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis, is independent of the presence of sex steroids...
- [Ambulatory blood pressure, intima media thickness, global cardiovascular risk and therapeutic decisions]J Amar
, Pavillon Turiaf, CHU Purpan, Toulouse
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 91:985-8. 1998..The global cardiovascular risks were assessed with the Framingham prediction chart taking into account age, sex, total cholesterol, smoking status and systolic office blood pressure...
- The prevalence of hyperlipidemia in women and its association with use of oral contraceptives, sex hormone replacement therapy and nonlipid coronary artery disease risk factors. Canadian Heart Health Surveys Research GroupP W Connelly
St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 15:419-27. 1999To report the prevalence of lipid and nonlipid coronary artery disease risk factors in women classified by use of oral contraceptives or sex hormone replacement therapy.
- Selected endocrine disrupting compounds (vinclozolin, flutamide, ketoconazole and dicofol): effects on survival, occurrence of males, growth, molting and reproduction of Daphnia magnaMaher H Haeba
RECETOX Research Centre for Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Masaryk University, Kamenice 3, 62500 Brno, Czech Republic
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 15:222-7. 2008..magna. We have investigated both traditional endpoints as well as other parameters such as sex determination, maturation, molting or embryogenesis in order to evaluate the sensitivity and possible use of these ..
- Immunohistochemistry as a diagnostic aid in the evaluation of ovarian tumorsW Glenn McCluggage
Department of Pathology, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Semin Diagn Pathol 22:3-32. 2005..situations in which IHC may aid is in the evaluation of tumors with follicles or other patterns which bring a sex cord-stromal tumor into the differential...
- [Quantitative investigation of reproduction of condensed chromatin of sex chromosomes during trophoblast cell polyploidization and endoreduplication in the East European field vole Microtus rossiaemeridionalis]T G Zybina
Institute of Cytology RAS, St Petersburg
Tsitologiia 44:768-79. 2002..measurement of DNA content in cell nuclei and condensed chromatin bodies formed by heterochromatized regions of sex chromosomes (gonosomal chromatin bodies, GCB) has been performed in two trophoblast cell populations of the East-..
- Sex hormones and headacheS D Silberstein
Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rev Neurol (Paris) 156:4S30-41. 2000..with a number of hormonal milestones: menarche, pregnancy, contraceptive use, menopause, and the use of replacement sex hormones. Menarche marks the onset of menses and cyclic changes in hormone levels...
- On sexual behavior and sex-role reversalGerard A Schuiling
Division of Human Biology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 26:217-23. 2005b>Sex is not about reproduction; sex is about (re-)combination of DNA. Sex, not reproduction, always involves physical contact between two individuals; to achieve this, strategies of sexual behavior evolved...
- DHEA, important source of sex steroids in men and even more in womenFernand Labrie
Research Center in Molecular Endocrinology, Oncology and Human Genomics, Laval University and Laval University Hospital Research Center CRCHUL, Quebec, Canada
Prog Brain Res 182:97-148. 2010..In fact, from the time of menopause, DHEA becomes the exclusive and tissue-specific source of sex steroids for all tissues except the uterus...
- Growth hormone and sex steroid administration in healthy aged women and men: a randomized controlled trialMarc R Blackman
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
JAMA 288:2282-92. 2002Hormone administration to elderly individuals can increase lean body mass (LBM) and decrease fat, but interactive effects of growth hormone (GH) and sex steroids and their influence on strength and endurance are unknown.
- Identification of the most sensitive and robust immunohistochemical markers in different categories of ovarian sex cord-stromal tumorsChengquan Zhao
Department of Pathology, Magee Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:354-66. 2009Different immunohistochemical sex cord-stromal markers have been previously studied in various types of ovarian sex cord-stromal tumors; however, the sensitivity for sex cord-stromal lineage may vary between markers, and some markers may ..
- Differential regulation of gonadotropin secretion by testosterone in the human male: absence of a negative feedback effect of testosterone on follicle-stimulating hormone secretionF J Hayes
Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine and National Center for Infertility Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:53-8. 2001Studies of sex steroid regulation of gonadotropin secretion in the human male have focused primarily on the respective site(s) of negative feedback of testosterone (T) and estradiol (E(2))...
- HIV infection in men who have sex with men, New York City Department of Health sexually transmitted disease clinics, 1990-1999: a decade of serosurveillance finds that racial disparities and associations between HIV and gonorrhea persistLucia V Torian
AIDS Research HIV Serosurvey Program of the New York City Department of Health, New York, New York 10013, USA
Sex Transm Dis 29:73-8. 2002..HIV seroprevalence, associations between sentinel sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and HIV infection, and recent reports of STD outbreaks among men who have sex with men (MSM) have raised concerns that HIV may be resurgent among MSM.
- [Estimation of the future epidemiological situation of tuberculosis in Japan]Masako Ohmori
Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti Tuberculosis Association JATA, Tokyo
Kekkaku 83:365-77. 2008..At first, to obtain the number of TB patients by sex and age-group, sex-age-specific incidence rates were estimated for the years 2010, 2015, 2020, 2025 and 2030, and ..
- Oncogenic human papilloma virus and cervical pre-cancerous lesions in brothel-based sex workers in IndiaKamalesh Sarkar
Division of Epidemiology HIV AIDS, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases Kolkata, India
J Infect Public Health 1:121-8. 2008A community-based cross-sectional study was conducted in brothel-based sex workers of West Bengal, Eastern India, to determine their oncogenic human papillomavirus (HPV) status and the presence of pre-cancerous lesions...
- Body composition and physical fitness are major determinants of the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor axis aberrations in adult Turner's syndrome, with important modulations by treatment with 17 beta-estradiolC H Gravholt
Medical Department M, Aarhus University Hospital, Kommunehospitalet, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2570-7. 1997..IGF) axis in adult untreated Turner's syndrome compared to that in age-matched controls; 2) examine the effects of sex hormone substitution on this axis, 3) study the effects of route of administration of 17 beta-estradiol on the ..
- Sexual activity as a risk factor for hepatitis C in Puerto RicoJoel De Jesús-Caraballo
Gastroenterology Department, VA Caribbean Healthcare System, San Juan, PR
Bol Asoc Med P R 100:15-20. 2008..Although IV drug use (IVDU) and blood transfusions have been clearly defined as transmission risk factors for HCV, the role of sexual transmission is still not clearly defined...
- Sex, kings and serial killers and other group-selected human traitsJ T Bowles
Med Hypotheses 54:864-94. 2000..A recent issue of Science suggests that the evolutionary purpose of sex is unknown...
- Sex-specific chromosome instability in early human developmentNatalia V Kovaleva
St Petersburg Centre for Medical Genetics, St Petersburg, Russian Federation
Am J Med Genet A 136:401-13. 2005..The goal of this study was to compare the sex ratio (male to female ratio) of carriers of presumably mitotic-occurring chromosome abnormalities to identify any ..
- Morphine sex-dependently induced place conditioning in adult Wistar ratsManizheh Karami
Department of Biology, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Pharmacol 582:78-87. 2008The present study was conducted to investigate the potential sex-differences in morphine-induced conditioned place preference...
- Sex determination in amphibiansMasahisa Nakamura
Department of Biology, Faculty of Education and Integrated Arts and Sciences, Waseda University, 2 2 Wakamatsu, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8480, Japan
Semin Cell Dev Biol 20:271-82. 2009The heterogametic sex is male in all mammals, whereas it is female in almost all birds. By contrast, there are two heterogametic types (XX/XY and ZZ/ZW) for genetic sex determination in amphibians...
- [From a categorical diagnostic approach to a dimensional approach for mental disorders: interest of sex differences]S Tordjman
Service Hospitalo Universitaire de Psychiatrie de l Enfant et de l Adolescent de Rennes, Centre Hospitalier Guillaume Régnier et Université de Rennes 1, CNRS UMR 7593 Vulnérabilité, Adaptation et Psychopathologie
Encephale 32:988-94. 2006..females) and autistic disorder (80 to 90% males), arguments that allow a better understanding of these different sex ratios are presented. The role of certain sociocultural factors in the onset of anorexia is developed...
- Origins of the machinery of recombination and sexT Cavalier-Smith
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PS, UK
Heredity (Edinb) 88:125-41. 2002Mutation plays the primary role in evolution that Weismann mistakenly attributed to sex. Homologous recombination, as in sex, is important for population genetics--shuffling of minor variants, but relatively insignificant for large-scale ..
- Watching sex on television predicts adolescent initiation of sexual behaviorRebecca L Collins
RAND, 1700 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
Pediatrics 114:e280-9. 2004..The American Academy of Pediatrics has suggested that portrayals of sex on entertainment television (TV) may contribute to precocious adolescent sex...
- Sex ratio and Wolbachia infection in the ant Formica exsectaL Keller
Institute of Ecology, University of Lausanne, Batiment de Biologie, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Heredity (Edinb) 87:227-33. 2001b>Sex allocation data in social Hymenoptera provide some of the best tests of kin selection, parent-offspring conflict and sex ratio theories...
- The Bali STD/AIDS study: association between vaginal hygiene practices and STDs among sex workersB D Reed
University of Michigan, Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Sex Transm Infect 77:46-52. 2001To assess the association between genital cleansing practices and the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases and of sexual health knowledge among female sex workers in Bali, Indonesia.
- Are there sex biases in standardized tests of radiation oncology knowledge?E C Halperin
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:2722-7. 1997..We tested for the existence of such biases in the American College of Radiology (ACR) In-Training Examination in Radiation Oncology and the American Board of Radiology (ABR) Written Radiation Oncology Board Examination...
- An experimental test of the effects of resources and sex ratio on maternal fitness and phenotypic selection in gynodioecious Fragaria virginianaAndrea L Case
Department of Biological Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio 44242, USA
Evolution 61:1900-11. 2007Resources, sex ratio, and seed production by hermaphrodites covary among natural populations of many gynodioecious plant species, such that they are functionally "more dioecious" as resources become more limiting...
- Sex, health, and years of sexually active life gained due to good health: evidence from two US population based cross sectional surveys of ageingStacy Tessler Lindau
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC2050, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
BMJ 340:c810. 2010To examine the relation between health and several dimensions of sexuality and to estimate years of sexually active life across sex and health groups in middle aged and older adults.
- Sex steroid hormones and the androgen receptor gene CAG repeat and subsequent risk of prostate cancer in the prostate-specific antigen eraElizabeth A Platz
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Room E6138, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1262-9. 2005b>Sex steroid hormones are thought to contribute to the growth, differentiation, and progression of prostate cancer...
- Perceptions of the benefits and costs associated with condom use and unprotected sex among late adolescent college studentsJ T Parsons
Department of Psychology, New Jersey City University, Jersey City, NJ 07305, USA
J Adolesc 23:377-91. 2000..assess the differential effects of the perceived benefits and costs associated with both condom use and unprotected sex on sexual risk behaviors, data were collected from 704 ethnically diverse male and female sexually experienced late ..
- An evaluation of a mass media campaign to encourage parents of adolescents to talk to their children about sexRobert H Durant
Brenner Center for Child and Adolescent Health, Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1081, USA
J Adolesc Health 38:298.e1-9. 2006..public service announcements (PSAs), radio PSAs, and billboards to encourage parents of adolescents to talk to their children about sex. The primary message of the campaign was "Talk to your kids about sex. Everyone else is."
- Breeding periodicity for male sea turtles, operational sex ratios, and implications in the face of climate changeGraeme C Hays
Department of Pure and Applied Ecology, Institute of Environmental Sustainability, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Conserv Biol 24:1636-43. 2010Species that have temperature-dependent sex determination (TSD) often produce highly skewed offspring sex ratios contrary to long-standing theoretical predictions...
- The effect of gamete co-incubation time during in vitro fertilization with frozen-thawed unsorted and sex-sorted ram spermatozoa on the development of in vitro matured adult and prepubertal ewe oocytesKatherine M Morton
Centre for Advanced Technologies in Animal Genetics and Reproduction REPROGEN, Faculty of Veterinary Science, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Theriogenology 64:363-77. 2005In vitro matured adult (Experiment 1) and prepubertal (Experiment 2) ewe oocytes were co-incubated with unsorted or sex-sorted frozen-thawed spermatozoa for 2 to 3 h (short) or 18 to 20 h (long) to determine the effects of reducing the ..
- Effects of treatments by calcium and sex hormones on vertebral fracturing in osteoporosisM Almustafa
Department of Medicine, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London
Q J Med 83:283-94. 1992..Patients were studied before, during and after treatment with high calcium alone, or with combined calcium and sex steroids...
- Prevalence and structural correlates of gender based violence among a prospective cohort of female sex workersKate Shannon
British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
BMJ 339:b2939. 2009To examine the prevalence and structural correlates of gender based violence against female sex workers in an environment of criminalised prostitution.
- General 4-week toxicity study with EMS in the ratThomas Pfister
Preclinical Research, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, PRNBT, Bldg 073 102c, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Toxicol Lett 190:271-85. 2009..The groups comprised 10 animals per sex, which were sacrificed after 28 days, respectively 19 days in the high-dose group, of treatment...
- Importance of inhibin B in the regulation of FSH secretion in the human maleF J Hayes
Reproductive Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, and National Center for Infertility Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5541-6. 2001..in the male involves a complex balance between stimulation by GnRH from the hypothalamus, inhibitory feedback by sex steroids (T and E2) and inhibin B (Inh B) from the gonads, and autocrine/paracrine modulation by activin and ..
- Management of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV prevention in men at high risk: targeting clients and non-paying sexual partners of female sex workers in BeninC M Lowndes
Groupe de recherche en épidémiologie de l Université Laval, Hôpital du Saint Sacrement du CHA, Quebec, Canada
AIDS 14:2523-34. 2000Male clients of female sex workers have rarely been specific targets for HIV/sexually transmitted diseases (STD) interventions in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Premarital sexual behavior among male college students of Kathmandu, NepalRamesh Adhikari
Geography and Population Department, Mahendra Ratna Campus, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
BMC Public Health 9:241. 2009..The main objectives of this paper are to explore the sexual behavior especially focusing on prevalence of premarital sex among college men and to investigate the factors surrounding premarital sexual behavior.
- Diffusion of HIV-1 among Drug Using Men in SE AsiaMichael C Clatts; Fiscal Year: 2010This application proposes a mixed method, ethno-epidemiological study of drug and sexual risk among young male sex workers Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. There are an estimated 8...
- Internet Use and HIV Risk among Men in NYCAlex Carballo Dieguez; Fiscal Year: 2005The high prevalence and incidence of HIV among men who have sex with men (MSM) in New York City requires further understanding of individual and contextual factors underlying unprotected sex, specifically among MSM of color and those in ..
- Contextual Influences on Sexual Risk among Latino MSMMARIA ZEA; Fiscal Year: 2007..develops and tests a theoretical model of socio-cultural, psychosocial, and contextual influences on unprotected sex in three groups of Latino men who have sex with men (MSM) in the U.S.--Dominicans, Colombians, and Brazilians...
- Inter-Temporal Trade-offs in the Risky Decisions of Cocaine AddictsP Read Montague; Fiscal Year: 2010Cocaine use and its associated risky sexual behaviors (e.g., sex with multiple partners, inconsistent condom use, trading sex for drugs or money) represent a significant contributor to the ongoing spread of HIV...
- Relationship between diet and sex of offspringRobert Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2007..controversy whether in mammals altering the quality or quantity of food eaten by the mother can bias the sex ratio of offspring born...
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2011..Video-Capable Cell Phones According to the CDC, the majority (80%) of women with HIV became infected by unprotected sex with an infected male partner. Black and Latina women accounted for 82% of AIDS diagnoses in women in 2005...
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..Video-Capable Cell Phones According to the CDC, the majority (80%) of women with HIV became infected by unprotected sex with an infected male partner. Black and Latina women accounted for 82% of AIDS diagnoses in women in 2005...
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2010..Video-Capable Cell Phones According to the CDC, the majority (80%) of women with HIV became infected by unprotected sex with an infected male partner. Black and Latina women accounted for 82% of AIDS diagnoses in women in 2005...
- BRIEF HIV INTERVENTIONS FOR DRUG-USING WOMEN SEX WORKERSJames Inciardi; Fiscal Year: 2004..by the need to develop and evaluate an alternative model of HIV/HCV/HBV risk reduction for drug-using women sex workers that is brief, cost- effective, easily replicable, and that goes beyond a purely didactic, expert-designed ..
- Venue-based HIV and alcohol use risk reduction among female sex workers in ChinaXiaoming Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..literature indicates an important role of alcohol use in facilitating HIV/AIDS transmission risk in commercial sex venues where elevated alcohol use/abuse and sexual risk behaviors frequently co-occur...
- Venue-based HIV and alcohol use risk reduction among female sex workers in ChinaXiaoming Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..literature indicates an important role of alcohol use in facilitating HIV/AIDS transmission risk in commercial sex venues where elevated alcohol use/abuse and sexual risk behaviors frequently co-occur...
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..of aging and is defined by permanent changes in ovarian function, we still do not understand how postmenopausal sex hormones affect diabetes risk...
- Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's HealthEmeran Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..in the interactions between the nervous system and the viscera, with special emphasis on stress neurobiology, sex differences and chronic functional disorders...
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The fundamental basis for such gender bias remains unclear. Sex hormones, sex chromosomes or both may contribute to such sex difference...
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The fundamental basis for such gender bias remains unclear. Sex hormones, sex chromosomes or both may contribute to such sex difference...
- Mechanisms of Sex Determination in ZebrafishJOHN HARVEY POSTLETHWAIT; Fiscal Year: 2010..In nonmammalian vertebrates, other genes in the network determine sex, and in some species, environmental factors such as temperature or social cues can bias sex development...
- Developmental programming: influence of sex steroids and mechanismsChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2011..The central hypothesis is that sex steroid hormones, testosterone (T) and estradiol (E2), via interaction with a variety of regulatory path- ways, ..
- Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine AddictionNancy K Mello; Fiscal Year: 2010This is a revised application entitled "Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine Addiction" submitted in response to PA-07-329...
- SEX HORMONE REGULATION OF THE MUCOSAL IMMUNE SYSTEMCharles Wira; Fiscal Year: 1993..proposed in this application are to understand at the cellular and molecular levels, the physiological actions of sex hormones on the mucosal immune system...
- Sex, sex steroids and dry eye syndromesDavid A Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2011..The long range objectives of this grant application are to test our hypotheses that: (1) sex steroids are extremely important in the physiological regulation of the ocular surface and adnexa, as well as the ..
- Sex Hormones and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Transgenic LQT2 RabbitsGideon Koren; Fiscal Year: 2010..prepubertal, ovariectomized LQT2 rabbits to explore new mechanistic paradigms that underlie the effects of sex hormones on cardiac arrhythmias using in vitro and in silico experimental approaches that will integrate novel ..
- Sex Hormones and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Transgenic LQT2 RabbitsGideon Koren; Fiscal Year: 2009..prepubertal, ovariectomized LQT2 rabbits to explore new mechanistic paradigms that underlie the effects of sex hormones on cardiac arrhythmias using in vitro and in silico experimental approaches that will integrate novel ..
- Sex-dependent expression and utilization of spinal mu- and kappa-opioid systemsNAIJIANG LIU; Fiscal Year: 2010Previous studies that defined sex dependency of opioid antinociception were not poised to reveal relevant mechanistic underpinnings and biological substrates...
- Sex Steroid Hormones and Calcitonin Gene-Related PeptideChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2009..in AM and IMD synthesis and vasodilatory responses to AM and IMD throughout gestation, and their regulation by sex steroid hormones...
- Sex Steroid Hormones and Calcitonin Gene-Related PeptideChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2007..in AM and IMD synthesis and vasodilatory responses to AM and IMD throughout gestation, and their regulation by sex steroid hormones...
- Fourth Symposium Biology Vertebrate Sex DeterminationBlanche Capel; Fiscal Year: 2006We request support for The Fourth International Symposium on the Biology of Vertebrate Sex Determination scheduled to take place in Kona, Hawaii, April 24-28, 2006...
- MOUSE X-CHROMOSOME INACTIVATIONChristine Disteche; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract): The study is aimed at defining evolutionary pathways of the sex chromosomes in mouse and human and at understanding mechanisms of gene regulation specifically related to ..
- Sex Chromosome Effects in LupusRhonda Voskuhl; Fiscal Year: 2007..Many murine models of lupus also demonstrate a greater incidence in females as compared to males. Sex hormones, sex chromosomes or both may contribute to this female bias...