Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PLXNA3
Description: plexin A3
Alias: HSSEXGENE, PLXN3, PLXN4, XAP-6, Sex chromosome X transmembrane protein of HGF receptor family 3, plexin-4, plexin-A3, semaphorin receptor SEX
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to monitor year 2000 objectives among American IndiansJ R Sugarman
Indian Health Service Epidemiology Program, Seattle, WA 98121
Public Health Rep 107:449-56. 1992..It appears that aggressive health promotion and disease prevention efforts will be needed if these objectives are to be achieved...
- In vitro interleukin-8 production by monocytes treated with lithium chloride from breast cancer patientsR A Merendino
Department of Human Pathology, University of Messina Medical School, Italy
Tumori 86:149-52. 2000..Further studies are needed to clarify if the improvement of the hematopoietic system in vivo observed following lithium therapy could reside, at least in part, in the ability of lithium to downregulate this chemokine...
- When and where do youths have sex? The potential role of adult supervisionDeborah A Cohen
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Pediatrics 110:e66. 2002..In this study, we examined when and where youths have sex and whether there is a relationship between unsupervised time and sex, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), and substance use...
- Effects of modification of in vitro fertilization techniques on the sex ratio of the resultant bovine embryosH Iwata
Tokyo University of Agriculture, Department of Animal Science, Kanagawa Prefecture, Atsugi City, Japan
Anim Reprod Sci 105:234-44. 2008..It was hypothesized that this may be due to the capacitation state of the sperm, the cumulus-sperm interaction, and/or the ability of the sperm to bind to cumulus cells or oocytes...
- [Pruritus and the hepatitis C virus. The MULTIVIRC Unit]H Dega
, , Paris
Ann Dermatol Venereol 125:9-12. 1998..Several etiologies could be involved: a direct effect of HCV, interferon. A prospective study should allow an estimation of frequency, risk factors and possible impact on quality of life...
- Pharmacological and toxicological effects of chronic porcine growth hormone administration in dogsS Prahalada
Department of Safety Assessment, Merck Research Laboratories MRL, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Toxicol Pathol 26:185-200. 1998..Based on this study, it is concluded that the dog is a good model in which to evaluate the safety of GH secretagogues as well as compounds with GH-like activity...
- [Perioperative myocardial infarction and cardiac complications after noncardiac surgery in patients with prior myocardial infarction. I. Clinical data and diagnosis, incidence]T Munzer
Institut für Anästhesiologie, Kantonsspital St Gallen
Anaesthesist 45:213-20. 1996..14 of 90, 21 patients excluded with BBB) but differed in mean age (67 vs. 71 years). The use of beta-blocking agents was not associated with a reducti..
- Current CDC efforts to prevent and control human immunodeficiency virus infection and AIDS in the United States through information and educationJ O Mason
Centers for Disease Control (CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333
Public Health Rep 103:255-60. 1988..By providing educational support for behavior changes that decrease HIV transmission, we can contribute to AIDS prevention in the 1990s...
- Design, characteristics, and usefulness of state-based behavioral risk factor surveillance: 1981-87P L Remington
Division of Nutrition, Centers for Disease Control (CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333
Public Health Rep 103:366-75. 1988..The system enables State public health agencies to continue to plan,initiate, and guide statewide health promotion and disease prevention programs and monitor their progress over time...
- Systemic proliferative changes and clinical signs in cynomolgus monkeys administered a recombinant derivative of human epidermal growth factorJ F Reindel
Drug Safety Evaluation, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Pathol 29:159-73. 2001..Aside from the noted exceptions, rhEGF(1-48) was a pantrophic epithelial mitogen in cynomolgus monkeys when used intravenously at suprapharmacologic doses...
- 1995 Volvo Award in clinical sciences. The diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging, work perception, and psychosocial factors in identifying symptomatic disc herniationsN Boos
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inselspital, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2613-25. 1995..The only highly significant difference between the study group and control group regarding morphologic fi..
- Sex hormones and cardiovascular riskM L'Hermite
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Hopital Universitaire Brugmann, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 46:357-72. 1991....
- The Saradidi, Kenya, rural health development programme: retrospective demographic analysisH C Spencer
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Clinical Research Centre, Nairobi
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 81:24-35. 1987..A vigorous programme directed toward improving health is indicated which must include family planning...
- The gene responsible for adrenal hypoplasia congenita, DAX-1, encodes a nuclear hormone receptor that defines a new class within the superfamilyT P Burris
Department of Pediatrics, UCLA School of Medicine 90024, USA
Recent Prog Horm Res 51:241-59; discussion 259-60. 1996....
- Risk factors for male breast cancer--a case-control study from ScandinaviaM Ewertz
Danish Cancer Society, Division for Cancer Epidemiology, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Oncol 40:467-71. 2001..Several patients died before contact. Thus, risk factors related to a more aggressive male breast cancer or related to high risk of dying (e.g. liver cirrhosis, heavy smoking) may have been missed...
- Aromatase (Cyp19) expression is up-regulated by targeted disruption of Dax1Z J Wang
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:7988-93. 2001..Based on these in vivo and in vitro analyses, aromatase seems to be a physiologic target of Dax-1 in Leydig cells, and increased Cyp19 expression may account, in part, for the infertility and LCH in Dax1-deficient mice...
- Screening for mutations in the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and steroidogenic factor-1 genes, and in CYP11A and dosage-sensitive sex reversal-adrenal hypoplasia gene on the X chromosome, gene-1 (DAX-1), in hyperandrogenic hirsute womenR M Calvo
Department of Endocrinology, , Madrid 28034, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1746-9. 2001..In conclusion, mutations in StAR, SF-1, CYP11A, and DAX-1 are seldom found in hirsute patients and do not explain the steroidogenic abnormalities found in these women...
- Recombinant human epidermal growth factor1-48-induced structural changes in the digestive tract of cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis)J F Reindel
Department of Pathology and Experimental Toxicology, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research Division of Warner Lambert Company, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Pathol 24:669-80. 1996..Furthermore, the epithelial proliferation was significantly greater than that reported previously in EGF-treated rodents...
- Rates of major surgery by age and sex in a rural district in KenyaE Nordberg
Department of International Health and Social Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:213-21. 1996..One step towards improvement would be to require that every hospital reports, annually to the district level, all major operations by kind and by age and sex of the patient...
- Repression of the rat steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein gene by PGF2alpha is modulated by the negative transcription factor DAX-1T W Sandhoff
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Endocrine 10:83-91. 1999..These results imply that DAX-1 has an important role in regulating ovarian steroidogenesis by repressing StAR transcription...
- Association between carriage of oral yeasts, malnutrition and HIV-1 infection among Tanzanian children aged 18 months to 5 yearsF Scheutz
Department of Oral Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:193-8. 1997..The study supports our previous findings that malnutrition may predispose to carriage of oral yeasts and subsequent infection. However, in this study population HIV infection was clearly the predominant risk factor...
- Psychogenic factors in the aetiology of stomatopyrosisJ S Pokupec-Gruden
Oral Medicine Institute, School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 24:119-26. 2000..We think that stymatopyrosis may be psychosomatic state that can be cured or treated by appropriate treatment, which includes psychiatric treatment as well...
- [Prevalence of hypertension in a black African diabetic population]M Ducorps
Service d'Endocrinologie, ,
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:1069-73. 1996..These considerations bring to light the question of sensitiveness of African Blacks to hypertension when exposed to high blood pressure risk factors such as inadequate food and diabetes...
- Sexually active adolescents and young adults: a high-risk group for Chlamydia trachomatis infectionM Bavastrelli
Institute of Pediatrics, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy, and C N R Institute of Experimental Medicine, Rome, Italy
J Travel Med 5:57-60. 1998..CONCLUSION: In a series of young subjects, travel abroad, sex with more than one partner, and teen age, combined together, were significant risk factors for the acquisition of Chlamydia trachomatis genitourinary infection...
- Hematological effects of 2',3'-dideoxycytidine in rabbitsJ H Riley
Department of Toxicology and Pathology, Hoffmann La Roche Inc, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Toxicol Pathol 20:367-75. 1992..The principal hematological effect of ddC upon the erythron was characterized as a nonregenerative macrocytic anemia with erythroid hypoplasia and megaloblastic erythropoiesis.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Plasma renin activity and insulin resistance in African American and white children: the Bogalusa Heart StudyW Chen
Tulane Center for Cardiovascular Health, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Am J Hypertens 14:212-7. 2001..These observations suggest that renin may be a component of insulin resistance syndrome detectable in early life only in whites...
- Circadian variations of blood pressure in patients with sequelae of carbon monoxide poisoningM Fukuhara
Omuta Rosai Hospital, Labor Welfare Corporation, Japan
Am J Hypertens 9:300-5. 1996..It is concluded that diffuse or multiple lesions in bilateral cerebral hemispheres caused by carbon monoxide poisoning per se do not affect the circadian changes in blood pressure and pulse rate observed in normotensive subjects...
- Differences in cancer mortality trends between four neighboring north-eastern areas and Italy, 1970-1990E Bidoli
Servizio di Epidemiologia, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano (Pordenone, Italy
Tumori 81:399-404. 1995..At least part of the lack of cancer deaths in Bolzano must be attributable to the deaths of Bolzano residents abroad (especially in Austria) and/or to differences in coding practices. This should be elucidated in future studies...
- What is the significance of black-white differences in risky sexual behavior?E H Johnson
Department of Family Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30331 2099
J Natl Med Assoc 86:745-59. 1994....
- Longevity, body weight, and neoplasia in ad libitum-fed and diet-restricted C57BL6 mice fed NIH-31 open formula dietB N Blackwell
Pathology Associates, Inc, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Toxicol Pathol 23:570-82. 1995..Dietary restriction reduced the lifetime percentage of tumor-bearing animals and the number of tumors per animal, and delayed the age at onset of most neoplasms...
- Morphological changes in the pituitary gland of dogs chronically exposed to exogenous growth hormoneP Laroque
Merck Sharp and Dohme Chibret Laboratories, Department of Safety Assessment, Riom, France
Toxicol Pathol 26:201-6. 1998..1 IU/kg/day) of pGH; these observations differed from the reported findings in pituitaries of transgenic mice secreting large quantities of bovine GH...
- Winter mortality and cold stress in Yekaterinburg, Russia: interview surveyG C Donaldson
Department of Physiology, Basic Medical Sciences, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
BMJ 316:514-8. 1998..At temperatures down to 0 degree C cold stress and excess mortality were prevented by increasing the number of items of clothing worn and the amount of physical activity outdoors in combination with maintaining warmth in houses...
- Correlation between plasma lipoprotein Lp(a) and sex hormone concentrations: a cross-sectional study in healthy malesL Denti
Chair of Gerontology and Geriatrics, University of Parma, Italy
Horm Metab Res 26:602-8. 1994....
- Relationship between cigarette smoking and nutrient intakes and blood status indices of older people living in the UK: further analysis of data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey of people aged 65 years and over, 1994/95C M Walmsley
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
Public Health Nutr 2:199-208. 1999..CONCLUSION: Older people who smoke cigarettes are at increased risk of suboptimal antioxidant and other micronutrient intakes and status, but the lower intakes found in cigarette smokers only partly explain their reduced blood indices...
- Expression of Dax-1 during gonadal development of the frogJ Sugita
Department of Biology, School of Education, Waseda University, 1-6-1 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8050, Japan
Gene 280:67-74. 2001..Taken together, the results suggest that the Dax-1 may be closely involved in testicular development of amphibians...
- Dental status, diet and cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged people in northern SwedenI Johansson
Department of Nutritional Research, , Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:431-6. 1994....
- Immunoreactive growth hormone-releasing hormone (IR-GHRH) in the feto-placental circulation and differential effects of L-dopa, L-arginine and somatostatin-14 on the plasma levels of IR-GHRH in normal adultsH Saito
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokushima Teishin (Posts and Telecommunications) Hospital, Japan
Horm Metab Res 29:184-9. 1997....
- [Sturge-Weber syndrome with atypical calcifications]M L Prieto
, Hospital Central de Asturias, Universidad de Ovieda,
Rev Neurol 25:1411-3. 1997..We emphasize the need for cranial CT to rule out the presence of calcifications, (as in this case) not seen on Xray of the skull or on MR. We favour the use of cerebral SPECT as a complementary diagnostic technique...
- Utilization of hospital resources by alcoholic and nonalcoholic patients: a prospective studyM Niquille
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Gen Intern Med 6:216-22. 1991..Several hypotheses are developed to explain these results in relation to those of previous studies, which showed more use of medical care by alcoholics than by nonalcoholics...
- Prevalence of perceived symptoms of dry mouth in an adult Swedish population--relation to age, sex and pharmacotherapyT Nederfors
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Odontology,
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:211-6. 1997..It is, however, not possible to discriminate between disease and pharmacotherapy as causal factors...
- Respiratory symptoms, skin disorders and serum IgE levels in farm workersA Bener
Dept. of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine-Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAE University, A-Ain, United Arab Emirates
Allerg Immunol (Paris) 31:52-6. 1999..These results are clearly useful for establishment of work-related reduced exposure in the future...
- Sex steroids modulate rat anterior pituitary and liver iodothyronine deiodinase activitiesP C Lisboa
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS, Bloco G, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Horm Metab Res 33:532-5. 2001..Treatments did not alter pituitary type 2 deiodinase activity. In conclusion, gonads and sex steroids differentially modulate type 1 deiodinase activity in rat pituitary and liver...
- Insulin secretion and sensitivity in hyperthyroidismT S Jap
Department of Medicine, Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Horm Metab Res 21:261-6. 1989..05), but was still significantly lower than those of normal subjects (P less than 0.05). Our data show that patients with Graves' hyperthyroidism manifest glucose intolerance, hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance...
- Human immunodeficiency virus-related risk behavior among African-American femalesL J Cornelius
School of Social Work, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 92:183-95. 2000..These results highlight the need for HIV prevention strategies that cut across socioeconomic class, gender, sexual orientation, and place of residence...
- Sleep in restrictive lung diseaseC F George
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Sleep 10:409-18. 1987..Nocturnal hypoxemia may cause muscle weakness and fatigue, which in time, could cause more nocturnal hypoventilation and further hypoxemia. Supplemental nocturnal oxygen should be evaluated in this population...
- Injury fatalities among young childrenL A Fingerhut
Division of Analysis, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD 20782
Public Health Rep 103:399-405. 1988..Homicide, in contrast, increased in both age groups. There has been little change, however,in the incidence of injuries among children. Thus,it appears that declines in fatalities accounted for a major portion of the mortality reduction...
- The acceptability of the female condom among low-income African-American womenD O Shervington
Department of Psychiatry, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans 70112 2822
J Natl Med Assoc 85:341-7. 1993..This study also demonstrates that the dynamics of universality and interpersonal learning inherent to insight-oriented or support groups can also be present.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Continuing unsafe sex: assessing the need for AIDS prevention counselingR A Roffman
School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Public Health Rep 105:202-8. 1990..The authors conclude that men who are at risk of AIDS due to ongoing unsafe sex will require a diversity of counseling options...
- Role of phosphorylation, gene dosage and Dax-1 in SF-1 mediated steroidogenesisP S Babu
Internal Medicine and Physiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109-0678, USA
Endocr Res 26:985-94. 2000..Mice that express epitope tagged SF-1 (wild type, SF-1S203A and SF-1S203D) are being used to rescue the heterozygous adrenal phenotype and to determine the in vivo role of SF-1 phosphorylation in adrenal function...
- Determination of steroid sex hormones and related synthetic compounds considered as endocrine disrupters in water by fully automated on-line solid-phase extraction-liquid chromatography-diode array detectionM J Lopez De Alda
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
J Chromatogr A 911:203-10. 2001..To the authors' knowledge it constitutes the first work describing a fully automated, on-line methodology for the continuous monitoring of these compounds in water...
- [Genetic effects of cosmic radiation in Drosophila melanogaster]R Hara
Radiation Biology Center, Kyoto University
Biol Sci Space 8:12-22. 1994..However, if this would be the case, we do not have appropriate explanation for the apparent absence of such synergistic effects on somatic wing-hair mutation system...
- Body proportions during long-term growth hormone treatment in girls with Turner syndrome participating in a randomized dose-response trialT C Sas
Department of Pediatrics, Sophia Children's Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4622-8. 1999..The development of large feet can play a role in the decision of the girl to discontinue GH treatment in the last phase of growth...
- [Are demographic characteristics of hypertensive patients different with renal artery stenosis?]O Jaboureck
Service de médecine interne et HTA, Hopital Cardiologique, CHRU, 59037 Lille
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 94:828-33. 2001..The goal of this work was to study the demographic differences between hypertensive patients with renal artery stenosis (RAS) or without RAS...
- Platelet function and fibrinolytic activity in hypertensive and normotensive sleep apnea patientsC Rangemark
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Sahlgrens and Renströmska Hospital, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Sleep 18:188-94. 1995..Low fibrinolytic activity may represent a confounding pathophysiological mechanism behind the high incidence of myocardial infarction and stroke in patients with OSA...
- [Functional outcome and quality of life at least 6 months after pneumonectomy--effect of operation, adjuvant therapy, tumor stage, sex, type of pneumonia and recurrence]R Fiedler
Pneumologie 53:45-9. 1999..Adjuvant therapy applied in 12 patients had no significant influence, neither on lung function parameters nor on the quality of life. A more advanced tumour stage or a relapse, however, will adversely affect the quality of life...
- Is upper gastrointestinal radiography necessary in the initial management of uncomplicated dyspepsia? A randomized controlled trial comparing empiric antacid therapy plus patient reassurance with traditional careJ D Goodson
Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
J Gen Intern Med 4:367-74. 1989....
- Tobacco smoking--a major cause of sex differences in healthD Mellstrom
Department of Geriatric and Long Term Care Medicine, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Compr Gerontol A 1:34-9. 1987..Future increasing segments of females addicted to tobacco smoking will obviously markedly influence sex difference in morbidity...
- Plasma levels of antioxidant vitamins and oxidative stress in patients with acute myocardial infarctionR B Singh
Heart Research Laboratory, Medical Hospital and Research Centre, Moradabad, Varanasi College for Women Trivandrum, India
Acta Cardiol 49:441-52. 1994..These findings suggest that vitamin deficiency may be a risk factor of AMI and these patients may benefit by administration of these antioxidant vitamins for primary and secondary prevention of coronary artery disease...
- Suitability of Krathwohl's affective taxonomy for evaluating patient attitudes to dental careA M Syrjälä
Department of Periodontology, University of Oulu, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:299-303. 1990....
- Headache and cardiovascular risk factors: positive association with hypertensionM Cirillo
Schools of Medicine, Chair of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Second University of Naples, Italy
Headache 39:409-16. 1999..The high prevalence of hypertension among patients with headache was not due to overweight. The data indicate that headache is significantly associated with hypertension, but not with other cardiovascular risk factors...
- Effects of ovariectomy and estrogen replacement on attractivity and receptivity in the red-sided garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis)M T Mendonca
Institute of Reproductive Biology Department of Zoology, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
J Comp Physiol A 178:373-81. 1996..Although E is naturally at its lowest seasonal level upon emergence, the concentration is sufficient to stimulate receptivity. However, it appears that temperature regulates a time-limited window of sensitivity to E...
- [Ambulatory blood pressure, intima media thickness, global cardiovascular risk and therapeutic decisions]J Amar
, Pavillon Turiaf, CHU Purpan, Toulouse
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 91:985-8. 1998..In this study the global cardiovascular risks are not related to therapeutic decisions. Therapeutic strategies are influenced by ABP level and by the vascular remodeling which depends partly on the global cardiovascular risk...
- Left systolic atrioventricular plane displacement in the assessment of myocardial viability in patients with previous myocardial infarctionK Bouki
First Department of Cardiology, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Cardiol 50:273-90. 1995..2) Combination of this method and DSE proved good diagnostic markers of myocardial viability...
- The prevalence of hyperlipidemia in women and its association with use of oral contraceptives, sex hormone replacement therapy and nonlipid coronary artery disease risk factors. Canadian Heart Health Surveys Research GroupP W Connelly
St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 15:419-27. 1999..To report the prevalence of lipid and nonlipid coronary artery disease risk factors in women classified by use of oral contraceptives or sex hormone replacement therapy...
- Selected endocrine disrupting compounds (vinclozolin, flutamide, ketoconazole and dicofol): effects on survival, occurrence of males, growth, molting and reproduction of Daphnia magnaMaher H Haeba
RECETOX Research Centre for Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Masaryk University, Kamenice 3, 62500 Brno, Czech Republic
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 15:222-7. 2008....
- Immunohistochemistry as a diagnostic aid in the evaluation of ovarian tumorsW Glenn McCluggage
Department of Pathology, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Semin Diagn Pathol 22:3-32. 2005....
- [Quantitative investigation of reproduction of condensed chromatin of sex chromosomes during trophoblast cell polyploidization and endoreduplication in the East European field vole Microtus rossiaemeridionalis]T G Zybina
Institute of Cytology RAS, St Petersburg
Tsitologiia 44:768-79. 2002....
- Sex hormones and headacheS D Silberstein
Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rev Neurol (Paris) 156:4S30-41. 2000..MM typically improves with pregnancy, perhaps due to sustained high estrogen levels (Silberstein, 1997). Hormonal replacement with estrogens can exacerbate migraine and oral contraceptives (OCs) can change its character and frequency..
- On sexual behavior and sex-role reversalGerard A Schuiling
Division of Human Biology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 26:217-23. 2005....
- DHEA, important source of sex steroids in men and even more in womenFernand Labrie
Research Center in Molecular Endocrinology, Oncology and Human Genomics, Laval University and Laval University Hospital Research Center CRCHUL, Quebec, Canada
Prog Brain Res 182:97-148. 2010....
- Growth hormone and sex steroid administration in healthy aged women and men: a randomized controlled trialMarc R Blackman
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
JAMA 288:2282-92. 2002..Hormone administration to elderly individuals can increase lean body mass (LBM) and decrease fat, but interactive effects of growth hormone (GH) and sex steroids and their influence on strength and endurance are unknown...
- Identification of the most sensitive and robust immunohistochemical markers in different categories of ovarian sex cord-stromal tumorsChengquan Zhao
Department of Pathology, Magee Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:354-66. 2009....
- Differential regulation of gonadotropin secretion by testosterone in the human male: absence of a negative feedback effect of testosterone on follicle-stimulating hormone secretionF J Hayes
Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine and National Center for Infertility Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:53-8. 2001..From these data we conclude that in terms of sex steroid feedback, E(2) is the predominant regulator of FSH secretion in the human male...
- HIV infection in men who have sex with men, New York City Department of Health sexually transmitted disease clinics, 1990-1999: a decade of serosurveillance finds that racial disparities and associations between HIV and gonorrhea persistLucia V Torian
AIDS Research HIV Serosurvey Program of the New York City Department of Health, New York, New York 10013, USA
Sex Transm Dis 29:73-8. 2002....
- [Estimation of the future epidemiological situation of tuberculosis in Japan]Masako Ohmori
Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti Tuberculosis Association JATA, Tokyo
Kekkaku 83:365-77. 2008..e. pulmonary TB rate, sputum smear positive rate and its trend, to the estimated future number of TB incidence...
- Oncogenic human papilloma virus and cervical pre-cancerous lesions in brothel-based sex workers in IndiaKamalesh Sarkar
Division of Epidemiology HIV AIDS, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases Kolkata, India
J Infect Public Health 1:121-8. 2008..Vaccination against HPV for newly entrant sex workers may be an important component for a successful intervention programme...
- Body composition and physical fitness are major determinants of the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor axis aberrations in adult Turner's syndrome, with important modulations by treatment with 17 beta-estradiolC H Gravholt
Medical Department M, Aarhus University Hospital, Kommunehospitalet, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2570-7. 1997..The lowering of hepatic enzymes is a surprising and hitherto undiscovered action of sex steroids. Finally, the route of administration of 17 beta-estradiol is of minor importance in Turner's syndrome...
- Sexual activity as a risk factor for hepatitis C in Puerto RicoJoel De Jesús-Caraballo
Gastroenterology Department, VA Caribbean Healthcare System, San Juan, PR
Bol Asoc Med P R 100:15-20. 2008..Although IV drug use (IVDU) and blood transfusions have been clearly defined as transmission risk factors for HCV, the role of sexual transmission is still not clearly defined...
- Sex, kings and serial killers and other group-selected human traitsJ T Bowles
Med Hypotheses 54:864-94. 2000..A recent issue of Science suggests that the evolutionary purpose of sex is unknown...
- Sex-specific chromosome instability in early human developmentNatalia V Kovaleva
St Petersburg Centre for Medical Genetics, St Petersburg, Russian Federation
Am J Med Genet A 136:401-13. 2005..The data obtained suggest that females may have gonadal mosaicism for aneuploidies and structural rearrangements more often than males. This may lead to the maternal origin bias in offspring with trisomies or structural rearrangements...
- Morphine sex-dependently induced place conditioning in adult Wistar ratsManizheh Karami
Department of Biology, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Pharmacol 582:78-87. 2008..The effect of the antagonist preinjections on body-weight was also observed in males. Present results indicate sex-differences both in reinforcing and locomotor activity effects of morphine in Wistar rats...
- Sex determination in amphibiansMasahisa Nakamura
Department of Biology, Faculty of Education and Integrated Arts and Sciences, Waseda University, 2 2 Wakamatsu, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8480, Japan
Semin Cell Dev Biol 20:271-82. 2009..A factor up-regulating CYP17 expression remains to be identified...
- [From a categorical diagnostic approach to a dimensional approach for mental disorders: interest of sex differences]S Tordjman
Service Hospitalo Universitaire de Psychiatrie de l Enfant et de l Adolescent de Rennes, Centre Hospitalier Guillaume Régnier et Université de Rennes 1, CNRS UMR 7593 Vulnérabilité, Adaptation et Psychopathologie
Encephale 32:988-94. 2006....
- Origins of the machinery of recombination and sexT Cavalier-Smith
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PS, UK
Heredity (Edinb) 88:125-41. 2002....
- Watching sex on television predicts adolescent initiation of sexual behaviorRebecca L Collins
RAND, 1700 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
Pediatrics 114:e280-9. 2004..However, empirical data examining the relationships between exposure to sex on TV and adolescent sexual behaviors are rare and inadequate for addressing the issue of causal effects...
- The Bali STD/AIDS study: association between vaginal hygiene practices and STDs among sex workersB D Reed
University of Michigan, Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Sex Transm Infect 77:46-52. 2001..To assess the association between genital cleansing practices and the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases and of sexual health knowledge among female sex workers in Bali, Indonesia...
- Are there sex biases in standardized tests of radiation oncology knowledge?E C Halperin
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:2722-7. 1997..We tested for the existence of such biases in the American College of Radiology (ACR) In-Training Examination in Radiation Oncology and the American Board of Radiology (ABR) Written Radiation Oncology Board Examination...
- An experimental test of the effects of resources and sex ratio on maternal fitness and phenotypic selection in gynodioecious Fragaria virginianaAndrea L Case
Department of Biological Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio 44242, USA
Evolution 61:1900-11. 2007....
- Sex, health, and years of sexually active life gained due to good health: evidence from two US population based cross sectional surveys of ageingStacy Tessler Lindau
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC2050, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
BMJ 340:c810. 2010..To examine the relation between health and several dimensions of sexuality and to estimate years of sexually active life across sex and health groups in middle aged and older adults...
- The effect of gamete co-incubation time during in vitro fertilization with frozen-thawed unsorted and sex-sorted ram spermatozoa on the development of in vitro matured adult and prepubertal ewe oocytesKatherine M Morton
Centre for Advanced Technologies in Animal Genetics and Reproduction REPROGEN, Faculty of Veterinary Science, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Theriogenology 64:363-77. 2005..In general, sex-sorting had no substantial influence on fertilization and embryo development rates...
- Breeding periodicity for male sea turtles, operational sex ratios, and implications in the face of climate changeGraeme C Hays
Department of Pure and Applied Ecology, Institute of Environmental Sustainability, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Conserv Biol 24:1636-43. 2010....
- An evaluation of a mass media campaign to encourage parents of adolescents to talk to their children about sexRobert H Durant
Brenner Center for Child and Adolescent Health, Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1081, USA
J Adolesc Health 38:298.e1-9. 2006..The primary message of the campaign was "Talk to your kids about sex. Everyone else is."..
- Sex steroid hormones and the androgen receptor gene CAG repeat and subsequent risk of prostate cancer in the prostate-specific antigen eraElizabeth A Platz
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Room E6138, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1262-9. 2005..We investigated plasma levels of sex steroid hormones and length of the androgen receptor gene CAG repeat in relation to incident prostate cancer diagnosed in the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) era...
- Perceptions of the benefits and costs associated with condom use and unprotected sex among late adolescent college studentsJ T Parsons
Department of Psychology, New Jersey City University, Jersey City, NJ 07305, USA
J Adolesc 23:377-91. 2000..These findings support previous work identifying adolescents as more driven by their perceptions of the positive benefits associated with risky behaviors, rather than knowledge of the costs or dangers involved in risk-taking...
- Prevalence and structural correlates of gender based violence among a prospective cohort of female sex workersKate Shannon
British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
BMJ 339:b2939. 2009..To examine the prevalence and structural correlates of gender based violence against female sex workers in an environment of criminalised prostitution...
- Effects of treatments by calcium and sex hormones on vertebral fracturing in osteoporosisM Almustafa
Department of Medicine, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London
Q J Med 83:283-94. 1992..5 years) and during (for a mean of 2.5 years) treatment with calcium alone; the fracture rate scores were 1473 and 918 (p = 0.247).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Premarital sexual behavior among male college students of Kathmandu, NepalRamesh Adhikari
Geography and Population Department, Mahendra Ratna Campus, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
BMC Public Health 9:241. 2009..The main objectives of this paper are to explore the sexual behavior especially focusing on prevalence of premarital sex among college men and to investigate the factors surrounding premarital sexual behavior...
- General 4-week toxicity study with EMS in the ratThomas Pfister
Preclinical Research, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, PRNBT, Bldg 073 102c, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Toxicol Lett 190:271-85. 2009..The low dose of 20 mg/kgbw/day was basically free of adverse effects despite of a clear evidence for hemoglobin adducts...
- Importance of inhibin B in the regulation of FSH secretion in the human maleF J Hayes
Reproductive Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, and National Center for Infertility Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5541-6. 2001..9 +/- 2.0 vs. 66.8 +/- 20.1 IU/liter; P < 0.005). From this human model of acute sex steroid withdrawal, we conclude that Inh B is likely to be the major feedback regulator of FSH secretion in the human male...
- Management of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV prevention in men at high risk: targeting clients and non-paying sexual partners of female sex workers in BeninC M Lowndes
Groupe de recherche en épidémiologie de l Université Laval, Hôpital du Saint Sacrement du CHA, Quebec, Canada
AIDS 14:2523-34. 2000..We assessed the effectiveness of outreach methodology for contacting sexual partners of female sex workers for purposes of HIV/STD prevention in Cotonou, Benin...
- Sex steroids and vascular responses in hypertension and agingXiaoying Qiao
Division of Vascular Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gend Med 5:S46-64. 2008..Estrogen may have protective effects in the cardiovascular system, as evidenced by the decreased incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in premenopausal compared with postmenopausal women...
- Diffusion of HIV-1 among Drug Using Men in SE AsiaMichael C Clatts; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Internet Use and HIV Risk among Men in NYCAlex Carballo Dieguez; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Contextual Influences on Sexual Risk among Latino MSMMARIA ZEA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The triangulation of findings will enable us to interpret results and further refine the theoretical model of contextual factors of sexual risk among these three groups of Latino MSM. ..
- Inter-Temporal Trade-offs in the Risky Decisions of Cocaine AddictsP Read Montague; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Relationship between diet and sex of offspringRobert Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BRIEF HIV INTERVENTIONS FOR DRUG-USING WOMEN SEX WORKERSJames Inciardi; Fiscal Year: 2004..Subsequent analyses will use advanced multivariate techniques to assess changes in risk behaviors. A vigorous publication and technology transfer program is proposed. ..
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..The popularity of the cell phone and use of the Internet for multimedia provide a new communication channel to address health disparities. ..
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2011..The popularity of the cell phone and use of the Internet for multimedia provide a new communication channel to address health disparities. ..
- Reducing Urban Women's HIV Risk: Soap Opera Videos on Video Capable Cell PhonesRachel Jones; Fiscal Year: 2010..The popularity of the cell phone and use of the Internet for multimedia provide a new communication channel to address health disparities. ..
- Venue-based HIV and alcohol use risk reduction among female sex workers in ChinaXiaoming Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..Serial behavioral and biomedical data from both gatekeepers and FSWs will be collected every 6 months over a 2-year period to assess the long-term impact of the intervention. ..
- Venue-based HIV and alcohol use risk reduction among female sex workers in ChinaXiaoming Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..Serial behavioral and biomedical data from both gatekeepers and FSWs will be collected every 6 months over a 2-year period to assess the long-term impact of the intervention. ..
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..The SHIP study will provide insight into the pathophysiology of glucose intolerance, and the findings will have implications not only for diabetes prevention but also for other diseases that focus on sex hormones as mediators. ..
- Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's HealthEmeran Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..1 Face Page .................................................................................................................................................. 2-3 Description, ..
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of the proposed study will not only aid our understanding of lupus, but will also potentially lead to identification of newer targets of treatment. ..
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of the proposed study will not only aid our understanding of lupus, but will also potentially lead to identification of newer targets of treatment. ..
- Mechanisms of Sex Determination in ZebrafishJOHN HARVEY POSTLETHWAIT; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Developmental programming: influence of sex steroids and mechanismsChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal will yield important insights that could aid in the development of sex-specific strategies for the prevention and treatment of hypertension. ..
- Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine AddictionNancy K Mello; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SEX HORMONE REGULATION OF THE MUCOSAL IMMUNE SYSTEMCharles Wira; Fiscal Year: 1993..If SC and/or IgA mRNA is hormonally regulated, then synthesis of message will be analyzed. In situ hybridization studies will be carried out to identify cells in the reproductive tract that synthesize SC and IgA...
- Sex, sex steroids and dry eye syndromesDavid A Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose to determine why dry eye occurs primarily in women and to translate our research results into the development of new and unique therapeutic strategies to treat aqueous-deficient and evaporative dry eye. ..
- Sex Hormones and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Transgenic LQT2 RabbitsGideon Koren; Fiscal Year: 2009..This enhanced knowledge should lead to more effective strategies for prevention of sudden death in a broad spectrum of genetic and acquired cardiac disorders with meaningful public health benefits. ..
- Sex Hormones and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Transgenic LQT2 RabbitsGideon Koren; Fiscal Year: 2010..This enhanced knowledge should lead to more effective strategies for prevention of sudden death in a broad spectrum of genetic and acquired cardiac disorders with meaningful public health benefits. ..
- Sex-dependent expression and utilization of spinal mu- and kappa-opioid systemsNAIJIANG LIU; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sex Steroid Hormones and Calcitonin Gene-Related PeptideChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will subcutaneously infuse varying doses of AM22.52and IMD17.47to pregnant rats from either day 8 to 15 or day 14 to 22 of gestation and measure BP, fetal, and placental weights. We will assess the apoptotic changes in the placenta. ..
- Sex Steroid Hormones and Calcitonin Gene-Related PeptideChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2009..52and IMD17.47to pregnant rats from either day 8 to 15 or day 14 to 22 of gestation and measure BP, fetal, and placental weights. We will assess the apoptotic changes in the placenta. ..
- MOUSE X-CHROMOSOME INACTIVATIONChristine Disteche; Fiscal Year: 2003..By inserting CLC4 into an autosome and into the X chromosome in transgenic mice, they will recapitulate the evolutionary chromosomal rearrangement. ..
- Fourth Symposium Biology Vertebrate Sex DeterminationBlanche Capel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding how critical genes in sex determining pathways evolved and how they function in lower vertebrates is expected to improve diagnosis and treatment of human disorders. ..
- Sex Chromosome Effects in LupusRhonda Voskuhl; Fiscal Year: 2007..This disease was chosen in light of the 9:1 female preponderance of the human disease system lupus erythematosus. ..